Speaker 1: From the Skying Center. This is Paul Murray Live.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Anika, thank you James. Looking forward to them and all the normal roles across the week and get ready for a massive week here on the show, because Parliament comes back and there's plenty to talk about, latest data, latest polls, breaking news that gives us more insight into the trouble that Albo is in right now, some bold predictions for the week ahead.
Speaker 1: That's the plan for the next hour.
Speaker 2: But of course, how can we not look forward just quickly before we look back for a moment here of course, on the sensation all past couple of weeks Australia in the Olympic Games. Now, as somebody who has been on television every night when much of Australia has been watching what is on the Olympics, I understand that there may be some new viewers back amongst us for the first time in two weeks. If so, welcome home, welcome back. We were here all the way, We'll be here all the way into the future, between now and the next winter and Summer Olympiad and the one after that and the one after that and the one after that. Okay, Mark Knight did a excellent series of cartoons for mainly the Heralds to certain hell. It's on Daily Telegraph, Korea Mail, Adelaide Advertiser, the Mercury in Tazzi and he put together a poster which is available on all of those websites for you to download today and it is all of the Australian gold medalists. Now Australia has the best performance we've ever had at a Games, as you know thus far with Australia finishing third. Now this is incredible. Think about the populations, think about the money, think about the training, Think about the fact that we're not hosting the Olympic Games for another eight years and there's not a huge amount of funding that's kicked in. It's not like the one just before the Sydney Games or the one just after the Sydney Games. But Australia with eighteen gold medals, is equal with Japan in terms of goal, but beats them in overall because of fifty And I'm going to say I, well, I'm very proud and excited about all of the things with the people who broke their own world records or did what was assumed of them at these Olympic Games in the sports that we would talk about outside of an Olympics. To see Australia winning gold medals in a whole variety of different sports like BMX or skateboarding of course, how the Fox sisters just own canoeing And could you believe Australia won a gold medal in pole vaulting?
Speaker 1: Now, I didn't think Australia was a chance.
Speaker 2: Remember Tatiana Grigorieva twenty four years ago in Sydney and we sort of flummed onto her and the fingers crossed fingers cross. Incredible performance from all of these people, and they've all got families and friends and big cities and little towns they all come from, and all of these things become huge buzzes. And I hope all of them get statues and murals and wherever in.
Speaker 1: Their home cities. They absolutely deserve it.
Speaker 2: I've got to say, particularly, I can't wait at some point to talk to the BMX gold medalist, the story of her injuries that have taken place, her brother's injuries, the comebacks, all of that to win to me huge Now going into these Games, Australia did something slightly different now obviously it kind of worked, which was they didn't set any official predictions. They didn't have the number of medals that they thought that Australia would end up winning, And in part that was because our chef de Michon and Emir's said she didn't want the pressure of people perform, underperforming or overperforming. Well, very obviously whatever predictions they had they have voluatoruily overperformed. The emotion coming very obviously to a head with the person who has been night and day, year in year out with this Olympic team as it's come from all corners of the country and pulled together in this phenomenal experience.
Speaker 3: I am so proud, proud for them, proud of them, proud to be here with them got so far through.
Speaker 1: By the way.
Speaker 2: I do like the global sponsorship with Coca Cola, which of course I'm fine with there's a significant user of.
Speaker 1: The beverage, but I like her.
Speaker 2: Whenever they do this, rees conference has got to sit there with a bottle of coke or in that case the no sugar and slightly turned around version and nan They pay for the games apart from television and everyone else, but there's a butt and like everyone you know, I don't want to pile on for the rest of my life on who whatever the breakdancing lady?
Speaker 1: Right, but she was really bad? Now was she better than you?
Speaker 4: And I?
Speaker 2: Yes? Did she qualify? Absolutely? Did she have a right to go to the Games? Well, yes, she earned her place. But I do love some of the nutty stuff that's come out in the past couple of days, since all of us saw it, all of us thought it, all of us saw the same thing and went uh okay. Now, of course, the mini a wag on the Internet made the connection to the show Summer Heights High and the fictitious comedic character of mister G and one of the performances that he did in front of the kids, and basically imagine the audio from this being matched with the performance. But because of the IOC broadcast rules, only show you the mister G performance. And that's what was running through my head while watching that lady a couple of days ago.
Speaker 1: Now now yo yo yo, now, oh.
Speaker 2: Yill me now yellow noll mew yeww. Now. So I've got to say, I thought it's weird, but you know, good luck to us. She had a great experience, that's it. But of course, because we cannot possibly just have a weird moment where everyone just raises their eyebrows and then just memory holes and pretends it never happened. Oh no, no, no, we had to have a discussion about from whence this person had come. This is after the Internet had already made its judgment, which was a giant thumbs down, no score. You have to go as far as the Indian Express newspaper to get to the stories of exactly who this person is, and you start to draw a bit of a picture about what happened at the Olympics. The person is, in fact A P eight has a PhD in cultural studies.
Speaker 1: Fine, good luck to it.
Speaker 2: Her thesis which is titled de Territorializing Gender in Sydney's Breakdancing scene, a B Girls experience of B boying focusing on the intersection of gender and Sydney's breaking culture. Now, one would imagine, not knowing how much money there is and the social science is filled in and around breakdancing. I don't know whether this person has already paid back their hex debts and they've earned way more than fifty thousand dollars, But one would imagine that a PhD in such things as means it might be a hefty hexted involved. So okay, that's all right, fine, we're kind of to me we'd background part of this sort of stuff that doesn't quite make sense about university. But okay, that's their world.
Speaker 3: You do you.
Speaker 2: And then the wok he's got involved, like the bloke who at one point was trying to tell us to become a republic.
Speaker 1: And he's straightway. This person's an AUSSI legend.
Speaker 2: We danced her own beat and bring marsupial energy to every contest. She's a national treasurer. Give her an AO Channel nine newspapers, I am you are, we all are the dancer. And then despite the fact that people took the piss because it felt like this athlete took the piss that if you took the piss about this performance and if you thought about mister g and if you thought about cheese break dancing and Olympic Games, well you're not just being mean. Apparently you are being sexist. You are nasty and evil and knuckle dragging and all the rest of it. Because the very same shift to Michaun, who I've got to say, to this point done a great job. You don't have to defend everything and turn around and label it stuff like this.
Speaker 3: But she did what we have had as women athletes has faced in terms of criticism, be little men judgment criticism and simple comments like they shouldn't be there?
Speaker 1: What animy as a cyclist.
Speaker 2: Isn't it a phenomenal experience as somebody who beat the world involved in the horrible car accident, she came back. It's that sort of adversity that of course we celebrate, but the idea that we're into sexism. If you found the breakdancing a bit weird, it just feels a little bit like one of those scenarios where people are just coming up with reasons to end the conversation. Now again, Australian athletes in sports that you wouldn't normally watch have done an incredible job. And there's two in particular that I love watching. I love watching at the Olympics. If they're there in the Commonwealth Games, i love watching them. I also don't mind watching the Nationals and try to find this stuff online because my little girls love the sports like rhythmic gymnastics with a team that comes together and you know, it could be everything from the ball to the ribbon and the coordination like the Italians today with their rhythmic gymnastics thing with the hoops. Unbelievable artistry and strength and all the rest of it. But you want to talk about hardcore female athletes? Is there any hardercore female athlete at the Olympic Games. Yes, I'm saying this than the artistic swimming people, because not only do they have to do all of the aerobic stuff that like cheerleaders would do, say in the NFL, they have to do it underwater, holding their breath and do it perfectly. They are strong, and they are fierce, and they are creative and they are cool. So please don't tell me I'm being sexist and evil and nasty. When a person is jumping around like a bunyip, it's just weird the watch, and not really what we would love as the greatest way of expressing ourselves globally. But she qualified, and good luck to her, and may we never talk about her again.
Speaker 1: But you and I both know what it's going to happen. Now.
Speaker 2: She'll end up being some sort of massive celebrity and they'll make a movie about it. Probably put a statue somewhere. You know, as a way of pushing back against the sexism.
Speaker 1: Just remember when you watched it and you just thought, oh that's weird. Move on.
Speaker 2: But the people that are going to bring this person up and over and over again, you know what's going to happen. But the best news breakdancing gone already four years time at the LA Games, where you would think breakdancing would probably be a thing. No, it's not going to be a thing at the next Olympic Games. So enjoy your fifteen minutes of fame. Or for some people, I'm not going to say shame, because they have great pride and they have every right to be prideful about the fact that they represented themselves at the Olympics. But so did Eric the Eel remember him from the two thousand Games. I think he's still swimming.
Speaker 5: Now as we know.
Speaker 2: The Prime Minister has such a connection to normal people. I mean it's just it's really special. I mean here he is just interacting at the most normal and not at all cringey way with the Olympic athletes.
Speaker 1: There was the little cut a way of Toto. Oh it was beautiful.
Speaker 2: But of course, while all of that great distraction of the past couple of weeks was happening. The reality in people's lives is they can actually do two things at once and while watching the Olympics at night or in the morning, they were paying attention to what was happening with the Reserve Bank and inflation during their day. Guess what new poll just before Parliament comes back and Labor is in the world of trouble. They are being marked down specifically on economic management. But it's even worse than that. If you ever look at the latest poles via the nine newspapers and the Resolved Political Monitor, the ALP is down four points four points since the last federal election. That would be multiple seats clearly lost. We'll find out from Newspoll either tonight or next week about just how many, but we are definitely at this stage if these numbers are correct, that is minority government territory, because of course it's the Teals that block the Libs being able to get anywhere near it. That said, when you automatically go when you add say the Greens to the Labor Party, well you could probably say that people who are One Nation or United Australia Party supporters right now and that'd be another eight percent on top of the Liberal vote, gets a Liberal party deep into the forties and that would be enough to start to flip a few seats. That would be enough to see something seismic happen at the election. Now again, until the data tells me what's happening with the teals maths is mats. But the government being able to hold onto its own majority off these numbers would be impossible, and the government's going to have to have some sort of a massive comeback. But it's hard to see a comeback being led by this prime minister. Now, of course there could be another catastrophe, or there could be a global pandemic or something that's going to mean that, you know, the Prime Minister goes from you know, gags on the internet to sort of consoler in chief and suddenly as numbers go up through the roof. But if they continue being marked on their policies, they're going to start going backwards and backwards fast. He goes have a look at this when people who are asked by the Channel nine newspapers, so Sidney one, Herald Age, Brisbane times fifty one percent. So the Prime Minister's performance is poor or very poor. Just a third number thirty three and a third of people believe the prime minister is doing a good or very good job, and for the second poll this year, Peter Dutton outperforms Anthony Abernezi as the preferred prime minister. Now those that will try to pretend these numbers don't matter and don't so well, it's Queensland that's overskewing anything. Well, at what point do they start to call this a trend because what is even more devastating than the numbers are the comments that people gave to the polsters while they were giving their answers about good job, bad job, who would you vote on on which particular issue?
Speaker 1: Do you like this party or that party?
Speaker 2: Now, of course, with a third of people there are some positive comments, but have a look at this stuff and acted up to what we have been talking about since day one. Day one, you and I knew this bloke was going to be a flop. We copped it deeply at the time. Well, thankfully people are now starting to wake up and start to speak as honestly as you and I did a couple of years ago, because have a look, things can't continue like this. The cost of living increases are stupid Alberanze is coming across like a king, a bit elitist and condescending. I don't think the federal government is controlling the economy at all. All talk, no action. Crime is out of control, and they're not even admitting to it. Doesn't have the detail to hand when he's answering questions. He's not across things. Our country is in turmoil with crime and living costs, but he's missing in action. We're under so much financial stress and the government isn't lifting a finger now again, I would love to sit here and tell you that Anthony Aberneze is going to be a one term prime minist Because of the number of teals and where they are and the makeup of their electorates and how they voted in the referendum last year, the likelihood of most of those flipping back to the Liberal Party is unlikely. If I see any data that proves that, then I'll gladly present it to you. But until we know that data, and I'm not going to sit here and fill you full of fose false hope. But one thing that is seemingly inevitable is the government losing control and having to go cap in hand on every single thing they want to do after the election for the next three years in the lower House, as they will have to in the Upper House. In the upper House it's the Greens and Lamby and Pocock who have all the power. In the lower House. It may well end up being Victorian Teals as well as a collection of other people. It may will not have even been elected to the Parliament who will end up in power.
Speaker 6: Now.
Speaker 2: Of course, all of these people will be asked during an election, well after an election.
Speaker 1: Which way are you're going to choose?
Speaker 2: They will all pretend that they are not going to make a choice, despite the fact that statistically that looks like where we're headed now again, and I want to get the cart before the horse, and the election seems to be months away. But right now the Prime Minister is in trouble. And he's in trouble because he set a false expectation of his prime ministership that power prices would be lower they are higher, that he would deal with the cost of living, which is worse. And the reality when it comes to the Reserve Bank is there's not a day goes by where they known tell us nothing gets better for about another six months and that's the best case scenario. So keep your eyes peeled because I will for the media types that are trying to give the free advice to the government on how.
Speaker 1: It can save itself from itself.
Speaker 2: But this is the same government that gives itself not one, not two, but three pay rises since the last election. This is the government that took fifteen hundred dollars off ten million people.
Speaker 1: To deal with the cost of living.
Speaker 2: These are the people who, when it came to tax cuts, delivered too little, too late to the people who truly need it. And these are the people who, again, when it comes to power prices, think that you will magically forget what the promise was because they may eventually get around to sending you twenty five dollars a month and cutting that off your bill which is increasing by way more than twenty five.
Speaker 1: Dollars a month.
Speaker 2: So some of the media types that are trying to find a way out for the Prime minister. Here five issues that threaten to derail the Albanezy government before the next election, with plenty of ideas by the way about how they can work around some of these things. Even the ABC. Some labor voters are disappointed in the PM, But there's still time to steady the ship, watch the free advice, because these people do not like the idea of a comfortable relationship with this Prime minister. The people around in the bubble, within the bubble being disrupted. But it looks like some people will notice that the Emperor quite as clothed as he used to be. The ASIO boss was on the ABC today after raising the terror threat level, and again I should have think they should have happened months ago, but it went from possible to probable. Mike Burgess also decided to drop a bit of information about the number of foreign governments that are actively interfering in Australian communities. Now, of course, if they're interfering in Australian communities, then I think they're potentially interfering in elections. But we couldn't possibly get involved in any of that. That would be a far right wing conspiracy. Here he is talking about some of those nations, including allegedly friendly ones, that are sending plenty of not so subtle messages to the local community about how they should act, what they should fire up about, and potentially which way they should vote.
Speaker 6: There are a range of countries that will do it, not just Iran, many countries that would surprise your viewers. When we find it, we deal with it effectively.
Speaker 1: Why can you know me Iran and not others.
Speaker 6: Becas Minister O'Neil mentioned Iran publicly, generally, I'm not in the business of actually giving up the whole range of countries other than to tell your audience there's more than one country. I can think of, at least three or four that we've actually actively found involved in foreign interference in Australia and deasperate communities.
Speaker 2: Also, on top of all of this, another thing that makes people uncomfortable right now is that today in Brisbane there was some sort of a showing of a couple of dozen people claiming to be neo Nazis. Now, just as we did when this stuff popped up in and around Australia day, this stuff's not acceptable in any way, shape or form. I hope each and every single one of these people ends up being arrested. The idea that so many of them covered their faces, well, the cowardice that applies to them applies to the people who turn up in all sorts of rallies covering their faces. Today, Queensland Police apparently arrested at least four people in relation to this. Sorry, the police spokesperson says that it is alleged at this time that members of a group have become disruptive and obstructed police. As any result, four people in the group were taken into custody the assisting police with their inquiries. So we'll all find out what's happening there together. But also when we were talking about the types of things that make people feel uncomfortable, like in those polls, it is interesting to the number of people that are saying crime. Now the federal parliamentary people will say, well, we were crimes local issues of state issue. Well, hang on, health and education is also a state issue. It's just the federal government that ends up funding it. And all forms of politics love to mix things up. But the reality that it's starting to come up in a group of people and they think that it's important enough to actually start to mention in national polls shows the types of things that concern us, the stuff that's coming from overseas, the craziness that may will be happening on our streets in terms of radicalization. Then of course there's the crimes that happen all day, every day, where a fourteen year old girl has been accused.
Speaker 5: Of murder in a caravan park in Queensland fourteen.
Speaker 2: Now, remember there are people amongstus who would like to raise the age of criminal responsibility to just fourteen. That fourteen is when things should kick in. But right now a fourteen year old is being accused of that particular crime. Then there was a horrible car accident that took place this weekend where a nineteen year old died as a result of a vehicle that was allegedly being driven by a sixteen year old. The stuff matters, This stuff upsets people. This is the stuff that we demand our leaders show zero tolerance for. Now, it will be fascinating in the next twenty four hours what people will show their.
Speaker 1: Zero tolerance for.
Speaker 2: Will they show their zero tolerance for the stealing of cars? Will they show their zero tolerance for teenagers involved in murder? Will they show their zero tolerance from foreign governments trying to get involved in our society, where they show zero tolerance for the appearance of neo Nazis on our streets. Well, of course, the answer is all of those things and a whole lot more, because regardless of whether you are left, right or center.
Speaker 1: Living with safety and security.
Speaker 2: Is one of the most fundamental things that all governments must deliver for us. And when we see endless examples of them failing to do so, then they can tell us everything they want about what their priorities are. But we all know what their priorities are, which is covering their backside and changing the subject now on the show, we are pro police. We are pro police because they go towards the most difficult of situations when everyone else runs the other way. This is their job. This is what they do for twelve hours.
Speaker 5: Each shift, and they do it for years and years and years.
Speaker 2: This program is pro the fire Brigade, and not just because they put fires out, but because, particularly the volunteers and regional areas where they end up responding to things like car accidents, they have seen horrible things. And this program is pro ambulance and paramedics because again they see people in the worst moments of their life.
Speaker 1: That is their job. But all of these people.
Speaker 2: Suffer from the traumas that they experience. We do virtually nothing as a society to actually support the men and women of our emergency services. Littlone the volunteers in our emergency services for when they decide to leave any of those services. Now there's some support, of course while you are working, and obviously you can ring this hotline and ring that hot line all the rest of it, right, but the support is not there, and many people end up leaving the police, the fire, the ambulance and the voluntary services way longer, way before they would actually plan on doing so because of the traumas and the stresses that end are building inside their bodies. We need to have a Royal commission into trauma in our emergency services. How do we help these people who help us all day every day. And of course wider conversations need to be had about mental health and mental illness, and about some of the madness that police, fire and ambulance people have to deal with every day, let alone the nurses and everyone else, because our system does not treat effectively enough the people who wander amongst us, who clearly shouldn't be wandering amongst us, not because we don't want to be confronted by something that is uncomfortable, but because we're waning to make sure that those people are safe, That people who may well end up harming themselves or others. Are safe in a place where they are treated with absolute dignity, but do not have to scrounge and fight like so often they do when they end up on skid row. Perfect example of this which has come after the terrorist actions where those police officers were killed in Queensland.
Speaker 5: Now, as you know, the.
Speaker 2: Coroner is currently having an investigation into all of this and he claims this being the police Union and the Police Commissioner, that we need to have greater focus in and around mental health. I'm concerned that we're seeing more people with weapons, bladed weapons in particular, wanting to confront police in these types of situations, says the Police Commissioner. It's something I'm very concerned about. Looking at the numbers of shootings that we've had in recent years, there's no particular trend. The trend go up and down year to year, but we're seeing increased numbers of people with mental health issues involved. As for the police Union, they say that although they don't really believe in inquiries or royal commissions, they want a Royal commission into the issue of mental health. The Health Department is funded nationally and the states administer the funds accordingly. So I believe this is a national issue where we are seeing people who are affected by mental health, who need treatments and have traveled between states and different jurisdictions. Because often when you do that, the computer and your record is wiped or it becomes harder to work out what your history is. Mental health is something the police do with on a daily basis. We need to look at the greater issue of mental health within society and address it and provide treatment, not incarceration. See, this is the whole point, right about priorities of government. I remember in the twenty nineteen election People's Forum, Bruce here on Sky News and Bill Shorten, I think it was who was asking about does anyone know somebody who has committed suicide? And basically after the room put their hand up. Scott Morrison at the time, I think, asked a similar question about mental health and again and put their hand up. You See, nobody thinks government can solve all of these problems because many of these problems are individuals, and individuals who do or don't want to seek treatment, do or don't want to take the drugs that they are prescribed, but we've got.
Speaker 1: A massive problem here.
Speaker 2: And if you actually saw a government who was willing to look into all of this where everything is on the table. No, not dark and dingy sandstone institutions of the nineteen thirties, not electro shock therapy, but somebody having the courage to say, maybe there are some people who shouldn't be out there who are out there. Conversely, when we're talking about mental health in the same way we're talking about it with veterans, why not talk about it with the emergency services. You see governments that actually invest in this stuff and I mean time and political capital and make this stuff priorities. They stand out from the crowd because if you're just doing what say, the queen's own government's doing, which is just pretending, oh well, one thousand dollars for this and three hundred dollars for that and fifty cents for this and lower petrol, all of that guff and garbage. Want to deal with the real stuff, and then people go, this is a real person who will be fighting on real issues, and that's why they deserve my vote.
Speaker 1: But of course it would be.
Speaker 2: A brave government, and we do not have an era of brave politicians amongst us. I hope someone proves me wrong, perhaps as soon as tomorrow. A couple of quick things worth mentioning. Remember the news of Oil's premier, Dominique Peritate. Now he was the common sense man sitting around a table that often made weird decisions in New South Wales, but he was one of the first leaders to actually start to break the seal. He actually gave an interview after leaving News of Oil's politics where he says that his government didn't deserve a fourth term. So you just should have saved the Liberal Party money and not had a campaign.
Speaker 1: Perhaps.
Speaker 2: What about these bastards And I'm sorry to use that word, but I'm going to who went around to Woomba and the cemetery there three hundred different headstones have been damaged, knocked over, smashed up, all of it in a night. Now, these people, honestly, this isn't vandalism. This is something worse. Why because that's people, it's people under the earth. That's people who may will still be amongst us, or the people who are long gone in both directions, who tended to those graves.
Speaker 1: Whose job is it to fix?
Speaker 2: Remember, it's not the cemetery but it's the individuals about what happens there. I'll keep you updated meantime. Another list of similar B words. There is a park in northern Sydney. It's at Taramorrow, I think, yes, in Northern Sydney where somebody decided to pull off the wall one of the brass plates that had all the names of people who had from the local area and fought in the First World War. Why because they'll smelt it down and they'll make money from it. Yeah, but I do twist now to a slightly better version, but a similar type of story. Remember a few months ago I told you about.
Speaker 1: A horrible, awful story.
Speaker 2: Little girl died. Mum and dad put a little tiara on her headstone and someone stole it, because yeah, people do this stuff. Thankfully, the parents made a lot of noise about it. They were willing to talk about how horrible this made them feel. And a couple of weeks ago somebody decided to return it.
Speaker 1: So they got it back.
Speaker 2: They got this symbol of that little girl back and I don't know where it is right now. But how do we not have cameras, motion cameras, all the rest of that around all of these cemeteries, all monuments and.
Speaker 1: All the rest of it.
Speaker 2: They've got plenty of cameras for illegal dumping and jaywalking and looking at your What about some extra stuff in and around here, we'll find together. Donald Trump did not have a good weekend. Now we will prefer when he's a dancing man. He's leading the poles. He's got the swagger. He's ready to go fight, fight, fight. But a couple of things we need to tell you about. Apparently his campaign has been hacked. The assumption is that it has come from Iran. Internal emails may well get leaked. This, of course, happened at Hillary campaign in sixteen. The reason that Iran would want to do it is because he wants to tear up the Iron Nuclear Deal and they would have to add back.
Speaker 1: Billions of dollars.
Speaker 2: Meantime, New York Times kind of the A grade poll at the national level says that Harris is leading, and she's leading in three swing states, the most important one Pennsylvania. Remember, if Trump doesn't win Pennsylvania, then he doesn't win the presidency. And he definitely needs to also win the state of Nevada. Now he's been able to win the state of Nevada because or been leading, I should say, in the state of Nevada, because he told all the people who work in the casinos, no tax on tips. The Democrats have now said, yep, good idea, we'll do that too. This is generally a place that has always voted blue. If it flips back, then this thing becomes very line ball. If you can't get up in Pennsylvania, then of course it will be a loss. But it's not all bad news because there are some people that are the pole aggregators who say, hey, okay, radio, just don't get too excited. Yes, she's going to win in the national polls because there are more people in New York, there are more people in California, and they're going to beat by a bigger margin. So who cares if she's leading by two or four or six, Because when we're actually talking about the United States, the right track wrong track is rather important as well. Now this is regardless of whether it's Biden or it's Harris, but certainly after Harris became the Democrat nominee, the number of people in the United States I think the joints headed in the wrong direction. It remains astonishingly high. Sixty five, sixty six, sixty one, seventy percent of people or sixty percent. So I'm not toil entirely sure how the person who's been around the table for the past four years has been side by side with the bloke making everything worse is apparently the panacea for everything. But we know there's the great Carmela Reducts that's happening under our very own noses and before our very own eyes. But we've got to hope the good people of the United States don't fall for the bull and they just look at what's the reality around them. As for the top battleground states, again real qulear politics. It puts together all of the existing polls Arizona Trump leading, Nevada, Trump leading, Wisconsin, Trump leading, Michigan, Trump losing, Pennsylvania leading just and I mean just zero point eight of a percent. So that's a time North Carolina leading, and Georgia just now. If he lost Nevada and Georgia game over, if he lost Pennsylvania and game over, If he lost Nevada and Pennsylvania, game over, and that's.
Speaker 5: The good news.
Speaker 1: Quick breakback with more plenty to.
Speaker 2: Talk about, including bold predictions for the weak ahead as Parliament comes back. Our bows in the world of trouble and does anyone have the balls to deal with mental health? And yet the weirdness of the Olympics more than a cent. Oh so much to talk about, from breakdancing to politics and all in between. We will do so with Graham Lloyd, the associate editor of The Australian newspaper, also particular expertise in and around the environment sector. The lady who is about to step off Sydney City Council. And I've got to say it was an absolute honor to be amongst friends and fans as she had sort of a valedictory dinner on behalf of those that she's worked with in local government. Our wonderful mate Linda Scott labor to her bootstraps. But who cares because we all love each other.
Speaker 1: Don't we?
Speaker 7: Friends across the political divid It was lovely, Thank you for coming, and it was lovely to have actually just you know, mayors from right across the state, right across the country there to have a celebration about how united and fantastic local government was.
Speaker 2: I love that you can tell who's from Burke and you can tell who's from Newtown and they all love Linda and rightly, so all right, let's talk.
Speaker 1: Just okay, can we took on the breakdancing thing?
Speaker 2: Okay, so right now, good luck? Did they qualify yes? Is it their thing? Yes? Did she write a doctoral thesis? Yes? Was it weird? Absolutely? Is it sexist to talk about it?
Speaker 8: No?
Speaker 2: Why does the Prime minister have an opinion on the issue.
Speaker 8: The Olympics is about people participating in sport.
Speaker 2: That's a good thing.
Speaker 8: And Reagan had a crack good honor and a big shout out to her. That is in the Australian tradition of people having a go. She's had a go representing our country and that's a good thing.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no no.
Speaker 2: Kids. Soccer is about participation, all right. The Olympic Games is some slightly different, I am, but how did we get here where the collective sort of oh that was weird has now become dividing lines on worldviews? Here it's breakdancing, it's come, it's gone, and it won't be coming back to the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Look, it's quite incredible, isn't that? Paul?
Speaker 4: I think too good? On her for having a crack, but she represented Australia. She had a crack, she scored no points, and people felt, wow, this isn't really the way we roll, and they had something to say about it. I think the best you can say is that you know, when you put yourself in that position, it's never a good day to look at what they're saying about you on social media. And as far as it being a gender thing, very hard to believe. I mean, it wouldn't matter who did it, the response would be the same.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 2: I noticed some of the people that are deep diving now because obviously you know doctoral thesis, there's a bit of thinking behind all of what we saw here. Apparently I'm noticing here and some of the online stuff right that she's intentionally bad because it is an attempt to subvert the meritocracy basically, and it is about making sure that and I can hear, I'm just going to wow, Okay, this is from her doctoral thesis. Our confession then opens up the space to consider the ethics of who can access and traverse hip hop's hierarchies of authority, because if we break down the model of authenticity further, I don't care I don't care.
Speaker 7: Here's the thing, Paul Murray, when was the last time you read a Western Sydney doctoral thesis? Nothing else. This incredible woman should be celebrated academic life, you know, to the public debate.
Speaker 2: Of course, I love her.
Speaker 7: I think she's amazing and she dances to the rhythm of her own What a fantastic thing to do. I mean, I do think that there's been lots of performances across the Olympics actually where we've seen. My sons were cheering for the fact that the second last runner in last night's marathon was a Macedoni. They were going mental about how great that was. So there's been lots of cheering for the underdog as well as lots of cheering, of course for the incredible.
Speaker 2: But as my passionate lefty is, it's sexist for us just to say she was terrible.
Speaker 7: But I do think some of the country has been a bit sexist, because you wouldn't get that for a man who got no points a.
Speaker 2: Bloke dance like that. If any bloke, any person dance like that, I'd be ripping in terror, just exactly the same way I had to. Even went through the whole thing about how I loved or.
Speaker 7: You haven't mean you you haven't like there's no kind of because there's no example of it. Well you haven't seen.
Speaker 2: Here's the example of the zero points bloke with the cap dancing around like a bunyip. When that happens, I promise you will.
Speaker 7: I look forward to doing that with you next Olympics. But I'm you know, I'm with Peter fitz Simons.
Speaker 2: I am you are. We are right, he will be rage watching as we speak. They were hello to the Bandanna man used to invite me to his house, of course, but then he said no too rightly.
Speaker 1: Very inclusive though.
Speaker 2: Isn't he. Now Let's talk here to the pols that have dropped this evening which shows prime instruments in trouble right, fifty one fifty one percent of people saying poor or very poor, a third of the country saying okay.
Speaker 1: The rest, of course, all still up for grabs.
Speaker 2: The comments in the Poland was really interesting here, and Graham, you know, I've had a sense about why the government wouldn't live up to its promises. But thankfully people are now starting to notice, Hey, didn't you promise lower cost of living? Didn't you promise lower power bills. Didn't you promise transparency? And all of those things haven't turned up, and the supposed solutions to many of those things are either mirages like the three hundred bucks for mansions and one bedroom houses in the bush, or they're too little, too late, sort of crumbs falling off the table, and we're told to be grateful.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Paul, you always get down to the main game, which is the economy. In every election, the time is running out for the federal government. Here the Reserve Bank is sending messages that look, it's not going to plan. It's not going to be cutting rates on the timetable that the government would like to have, and that is starting to seep into people's consciousness. I think the first year there was a lot of distraction. People are now waking up and saying, well, look, what is the big picture here and how does it affect me? And you're starting to see it in the polls, and I'm sure they would start to be worried.
Speaker 2: Now again, Linda, I do the caveat, so I follow that, you know all the rest of it, saying, you know, evidence about the till seats moving, if the teal seats don't move, then it's just a conversation about majority versus minority. But the polls are relentless about a minority government. Now, Anthony Alberaneze will so what I dealt with Oakshot, I dealt with windsor we got the Greens and but we did it last time, we can do it again.
Speaker 1: But it's different when you're the prime minister.
Speaker 2: It means you have to go to them on every single issue and what give them to sign an NDA before you make a decision that that is not what Australian Well, it is what Australians want because they'll vote for it, but that's not great for the country if they do.
Speaker 7: Look, I think that there's no doubt coming into the next federal election that labor will be the underdog again. The global economic circumstances that we face and the inflationary pressures of course not just here in Australia but really globally very significant and for that reason, you know Grahame is right. The economy is such a big indicator of how people vote, labor will clearly be the underdog. These polls, though released just tonight, show us that actually labor has increased a point when it comes to their primary vote and the coalition has gone down one point.
Speaker 1: So you know, this is from the last pole.
Speaker 7: This is going to be yes correct, from the last poll. This is going to be a tight election, and we don't know when it will be held. But look, it is the case that so much of the government's skilled management of the economy is not necessarily able to be completely visible to people.
Speaker 2: I do want to call that.
Speaker 7: There's a great article I read it online by John Rolph who write about his efforts to just go through and save his family a bit of money on their power bills, saving more than the kind of three hundred dollars promised. So there are ways that people can look at their cost of living pressures and really work with the efforts and the policies of the government to drive them down. But here's the line. Peter Dutton has to outline what he's going to do differently, and the issue at the moment is we don't know what that is.
Speaker 1: We don't know what.
Speaker 7: Peter Dutton and the Liberals and the Nationals are going to cut. They've said they don't want the wage growth that we've seen under labor Will you know, will they stop that, Will they pull the wage increases that we've seen for you know earlier we've well, no, but we've got to see what Peter Dutton is putting on the table that he says he's going to make a difference, and we just don't know any of that.
Speaker 2: And Graham has been this has been my issue right now. If the economy is front and center, then an opposition needs to actually say, in part, what would he do to help deal with it? Right now, I know that the way that for a lot of people politics works, which is we vote out governments. We don't vote in oppositions, but you have to if you don't have like the treasurer from the last government who everyone loved, which they don't and everyone didn't. But that's a difficult offering because it's not like you're going back to the people who were okay. This was part of the issue and part of the advantage that the Libs had in twenty and ten in twenty thirteen is they had some of the rump of the people that were there during the Howard years. There's not going to be that sort of automatic Oh, let's just go back to the way it was, because of course what was was heavily rejected. Do you think that Peter Dutton needs to actually say, okay, well here's a couple of my ideas when it comes to the economy, or you don't do that because this model.
Speaker 1: Just steal them.
Speaker 4: I think Peter Dunn has to say that the most important thing is productivity and growing the economy.
Speaker 2: He can cast back to the Howd and.
Speaker 4: Costello years and say that there was a good economic management there and it was about growing the economy. Paul Keating was always about growing the pie before you cut it up.
Speaker 2: And if you look at the language.
Speaker 4: From the Reserve Bank now and the way the government is really putting the effort into the public sector and that is crowding out the private sector, it is the wrong productivity message. I think there is fertile ground there for the coalition to stand on its record on the economy, which is generally a strength, and the Albansi government at this point in time really needs to get the message out.
Speaker 2: That it's up to the task. Yeah, Labour's probably volt falls. Liberal parties lifts in newspaper which has just dropped online.
Speaker 1: Simon Ben's the details they're two.
Speaker 2: Party preferred is it fifty to fifty and fifty seven percent of people believe there will be a minority government after the next election. Quick break back with more here on Palmary Life. Thank you so much for watching here with Graham, Lloyd and with the delightful, delightful Linda Scott. Let's talk here about I wasn't taking the piece.
Speaker 1: I actually do like you.
Speaker 2: Let's talk here about Harris and Trump. Look, pick your numbers about whether Trump is starting to go underwater or whether Harris is.
Speaker 1: Hitting a high point.
Speaker 2: From here, of course, there is still the Democratic Convention. Then there's the debates. There's a couple of things that will either make things better or worse for the person that you would like.
Speaker 5: In my case, micro pretend it's Trump, Graham.
Speaker 2: Obviously, this is one of those moments where people need to understand that, just as it was for Biden that as soon as he went south, he stayed south and never moved, that people shouldn't have the assumption that, oh, you can be behind for a little bit because you can fight back later. What's your read of what's happening in America right now? Well, I think.
Speaker 4: Donald Trump had momentum when Joe Biden was there, it was his strongest suit. You would expect that Kamala Harris is going to get a bit of a honeymoon and a bounce from being put up as a presumptive nominee.
Speaker 2: It's still early days.
Speaker 4: I think we haven't seen a head to head contest between Donald Trump and Kamala Harris. There's a lot of things that can go wrong between here and November for both sides. So I think we need to see the convention. We need to see how each tackles the other in public, and then I think the American voters will start to make up their mind.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean, Linda, he's the danger zones for both of them. Right, Harris is tightly controlled, stay on score ripped because if you give them an opportunity, then obviously the people who don't want you are going to come at you pretty hard.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 5: But you can't go through and not do an interview, or not give a speech, or not do it.
Speaker 1: It's just not possible.
Speaker 2: Maybe, but we didn't think that it'll be possible to push you out of president, but of course they did. Conversely, if Trump starts to think that he's losing it, then he might think I've got to take wilder and wilder swings, and that of course makes things for some people ever worse. Clearly, you're feeling better than you were when it was Biden.
Speaker 7: Look, it's hard to remember, but it was only you know, three weeks ago Biden was still the Democratic nominee, presumptive nominee. So it's been a pretty remarkable three weeks, hasn't it in US politics? And when you look at the poles, of course Harris has now much more momentum. But when you take an average of all the polls currently, you know, it's half percent between them. So I think it is a really, really unpredictable race. We're right all to point out that there's a long way to go. What is also interesting, though, is that they're two really experienced candidates, Like usually in these races, you know, you don't have a vice president president, right, So I think it is going to be this really interesting race. Both good campaigners, both pretty organized machines, both experienced leaders in their own right, and very tight polls but a very divided America. You know, I just think it's going to be a fascinating race to watch. But again, you know, as a clearly you know labor Democrat person. I mean, if Trump wins, it is going to have international ramifications. You know, there are yes, everything will get better, there are I saw a piece tonight about farmers, you know that are worried in America about the trade deals and the impact. It's going to be bad.
Speaker 2: It won't be relaxed. I can talk you through all the other talking points.
Speaker 1: That will be fine. Thank you very much, Linda, Thank you, Graham. We'll see you again tomorrow night. He's a Royal report.