Speaker 1: Get a team, Craig Anthey, Harper, what's your middle name again? Jeffrow John? Oh that's it, Jeffrey John Jowd. I should have remembered that.
Speaker 2: Fuck.
Speaker 1: That's negligent and reticent of me. How a big fella.
Speaker 2: Made any better? I'd be twins harps and even better for seeing your head in that wonderful upgraded studio by the looks of it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, this is razzle dazzle. This is a you are looking at an electronic background. I don't know what the kids call it, a fucking virtual I don't know something.
Speaker 2: It's very impressive and I wouldn't have known.
Speaker 1: No, it's where I'm actually in my office. But the photo is of a real studio. So that's the Nova studio that they graciously let me use because we're on the Nova platform. Did I say Nova?
Speaker 2: Yeah you did Nova Nova Nov Nov.
Speaker 1: So yeah, that's the actual grown up, proper studio that I use when I can be fucked to drive into South Melbourne. But being the lazy bastard that I am, and seeing is that we're only audio. I sit here at my desk in Hampton with a road mic stuffed in my face and let's be honest. The audio quality is pretty much the same. So I saved myself the drive and bibity bobbedy boo. That's twenty twenty four technology.
Speaker 2: Jeff Frowitz, Here we are Hollywood. Have you play Hollywood?
Speaker 3: Harper?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Have you open? Speaking of technology, have you opened the door on chat, GPT and AI in general? Or are you still butcher paper and crayons?
Speaker 2: Mate? I haven't. Most people are clients people. Yes, I don't really have a huge need for it at the minute.
Speaker 3: Like if I get a bit of.
Speaker 2: Copywriting work, I generally just bang it out, but I don't do huge amounts of it, more this high level stuff.
Speaker 3: So but I've heard rave reviews.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's interesting. It's probably not the chat we're going to have today, but it is interesting, And it's for for a friend of mine does a bit of copywriting and you know, web stuff and just you know, and they are more than a little worried because it's there's going to be quite a you know, but there's going to be jobs that become redundant. But with the evolution of things, there are new jobs, Like who the fuck knew that that podcasting could be a job or part of a job. Who knew that? Fifteen years ago nobody knew what one was? And here we are, fifteen hundred plus episodes in working with one of the biggest entertainment networks in Australia. Every show is sponsored, thankfully, and it's a job. I mean, who the fuck knew? Who knew? You know?
Speaker 2: Not me?
Speaker 1: What's I mean? But I guess the thing that doesn't really change too much is humans and human behavior. And you know, the peace and troughs of the human experience that you were the.
Speaker 2: Human, the human, the head, the human condition and all that lies within rest are short irrespective of chap GP T or x y Z at ABC, the human, the head and everything in the middle of the condition and make the infamous head noise at ninety nine point quadruple nine if not one hundred percent of humans in dua, I reckon you know what if I if we were to flip the schooling system on its head, we should do it. There should be a semester on head noise, right, No one at our high school. We never knew that everyone was in their head and.
Speaker 3: What have you?
Speaker 2: And you know, like self doubt, no self esteem, blah, blah blah, what if scenarios, living in the future, living in the past.
Speaker 3: We never covered that off at bloody school.
Speaker 2: That would have been handy because it's non do later in life that we realize every man as well. Hopefully people know that every man and his dog battles it. And it's Middle Earth, as I call it. You're down there with Fredo and Gandolf and whatnot in all the hobbit. It's not real, but it's sure as hellf feels like it is. And we spend most of our life there solving problems. And you can't outthink thinking, but god we try. So you know what a great little semester that would have been in the early days of high school, if you will, so that when instead of sticking the head in the microwave with a few metal forks, you might have a few strategies to combat it.
Speaker 1: Oh, I've missed you.
Speaker 3: I've just dropping the micro.
Speaker 2: Right there, ladies and gentlemen, Happy and bloody Thursday. I've missed you too long, absolutely, you know, and I know no one can see your fred astare, but as far as hair goes, it's on point.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a gift that keeps on giving the silver Fox, and he's changed the glasses in the meantime as well.
Speaker 3: This bloke, he's red hot. I'll tell you what can't multitask. This guy's quadruple tasking.
Speaker 1: I'm not going bored anytime soon. My old man's eight eighty five in a minute, and he's he's got a head like a fucking twenty four year old. His hair is like he gets his hair cut every three weeks. It still grows like fucking bamboo at eighty five.
Speaker 3: But I remember those days when I was eighteen, you know.
Speaker 2: It's yeah, no, I definitely maybe quite a bit of competitive bodybuilding was not optimal for the hair growth as well over time.
Speaker 1: But well, there is there is a relationship between yeah, are you Are you referring to some of the special supplements that you took.
Speaker 2: Some of those performance enhancing supplements I may or may not have taken back into your house in days mate, when I was like a stogging full of walnuts. I'm going to get all my clothes tailored and what have you, and still thought I was skinny body dysmorphia dot com if you will. But you know, dovetailing back to the aforementioned head noise Harps Craig Anthony Harper. So you know, but the head noise thing in the human condition here is pect you of AI or anything else that comes along. You know, like if you're in your head, you're dead. Most people live there for an eternity, but they don't realize it because when you're in there, you kind of don't know, you know, and forever live a life of busy getting there, getting there, ask and where they don't know where boom. That's just the head on steroids doing its best. And until you know, we learned to combat that. I think that'll be the forever job for humans, like just getting using them I not being used by it and trying to observe it, be the witness, as they say, versus being controlled consumed by it. Out thinking, redundant at best. And you know those strategies, business, life, sports, health, mental health, happiness, all of it, you know, impossible without getting control of.
Speaker 1: That one hundred percent. Hey, I put up a post yesterday on i G as the kids call it. I'll read it to you because I want your thoughts on it. So the title is, are you giving yourself anxiety about shit that won't happen. You know, I'm very literaryly evolved, right. A recent study from pen A recent study from Pence University discovered that ninety one percent of hypothetical future problems that people worry about never materialize, and of the remaining nine percent of concerns that did come true, the outcome was often better than expected, and for about one in four participants, exactly zero of their worries materialized. How much time do we spend obsessing about shit that's never going to happen? Mate?
Speaker 2: Well, I could have got a PhD in in the twenties and thirties, rest got a few of them. I'm surprised, I bloody will should have or was that dem good at it? And it's just absolute truth, mate, And we waste so much time, energy, headspace, bandwidth, emotion, miss out on where we are and all the good stuff and any potential creativity or innovations absolutely got us on at that point because you're in your head, you're worried what if scenarios? You know, when we create, generally crave certainty and hate change, But unfortunately change is the only constant, and we've got to learn to embrace uncertainty because there in lies the opportunity industry's life. You know, whatever, it may be much easier said than done, very simple in theory, very hard in execution. And you know, I think about cliches sometimes because like they're cliches for a reason, and when you're young, you're like, yeah, whatever, But you think of cliches now and patience is a virtue or however many that there are, and there's so much truth in each and every one of them while they became cliches, but not easy to live by as rules. But like we get good at what we do, and you know, we sho focus on the right things and we prioritize that, then we do get better on sort of a case in point. But it's an every day, forever job. If you get sort of sloppy with it, you cook your head. Just stick it in the microwave a few metal forks, and that's the result head cooking in the world the microwave. Choose your poison, so and mate something with your PhD neuroscience.
Speaker 3: Nonetheless, I believe.
Speaker 2: I've been fascinated lately with posture, and I'm doing a few little other things outside of coaching and speaking, and maybe a little startup on the horizon, going back to the grassroots, mate sports science, leveraging a bit of that stuff.
Speaker 3: And just obviously you.
Speaker 2: Mentioned anxiety and parasympathetic verse sympathetic nervous system, and what I've noticed. I actually spoke to Paul Batman, who you'd know, and he's we've been chatting a bit about this, and like aesthetic versu athletic posture, aesthetic you know, stand up tall, stand up tall tommy in shoulders back, Well, you're guaranteed to breathe into your chest right then and there, ladies and gentlemen, which will stimulate the sympathetic nervous system, which will stimulate anxiety, stress, and head noise versus. And I've I believe in an area that's been missed is the thoracic spine a lot more than the lumber because it's not as easy to detect the curvature and where the sternum is. And we walk around resisting gravity all the time, especially if you're a short ass like me four point seven, and like so, I guess there's short people are probably more prone to it than really tall people who want to be a bit shorter to fit in.
Speaker 3: But that's just my hypothesis.
Speaker 2: But you resist gravity and you stand up for all or all these things, and you a real good chance to breathe up into your chest and stimulate the sympathetic nervous system as opposed to the parasympathetic versus breathing into your belly. And it's quite profound when you're breathing into your obviously you drop your sternum.
Speaker 3: You can't not breathe into your belly.
Speaker 2: And based you know what the thoracic spine is doing and where it funnels the air, and you create that intra abdominal pressure which leads into a core and how core can be misdiagnosed as well, that you know, we're at UNI and what we thought was right and the role of the spinal erect versus the intra abdominal pressure.
Speaker 3: Look at PARPs Is, like, where's this bloke come from?
Speaker 2: He's boon on a farm and he's firing up the old sports science degree. But I like to surprise you at times, Craig Anthony, having known it as long as I have it, but.
Speaker 3: The I'm a bit fascinated by it.
Speaker 2: Now for all the listeners, this will absolutely blow your socks off if you're wearing any and that is tonight, sit on the edge of the better on a chair with your shoulders above your hips, and exhale fully so you've got no air in your lungs. You exhale it fully and then try to stand.
Speaker 1: Up and hang on. So are we sitting upright or are we leaning forward? What do we know?
Speaker 3: You're sitting upright. You want your shoulders above your hips.
Speaker 2: You don't lean forward, use momentum and your dead set got the wobbly boot on like you've had a thousand schooners. Because when you look at the human skeleton from the ribs up and the pelvis down, it's very you know, the skeleton and whatnot. There's quite a bit going on. But between the bottom rib and the pelvis, this fuck all just a pole i e. Your spine and if you don't have a little belly balloon in there like a little bit. So what happens is when we go to get up, is that we have the slight a little inhale that we don't realize. And that's what it increases, you know, inflates that balloon slightly increases that pressure for the core muscles to brace against versus drawing the belly button in as we were sort of thinking way back in the day. And then wushka, and an even more powerful one is lying on the bed and exhalefully x holeefully nowhere in your tummy and try to get up from lying down your dead set can't like we just we don't realize that we have this inhale and inflate that balloon so subtly, so automatically, involuntarily. And I propose that's why babies have about seven thousand false starts before they can stand up and walk, because you can't do it when you haven't got air in your belly like that. And but we're not, we don't have what we're learning when we're babies. Forgot I know what I learned last week, little and when I was a baby. So therein lies the thing, and that dovetails into performance posture and what the best golfers and horse riders and what not do that But.
Speaker 3: They don't think they do or know they do.
Speaker 2: And then when you ask them what they do, they overthink it and they tell you something else because it's so subtle, really fascinating when it comes to sort of athletic or performance posture versus esthetic posture. Walking into a room suck the guts in stand up tall, but doesn't lend. It's not conducive to optimal cour stability and or strength and or performance.
Speaker 1: Rather than walking into a room. You know, I'm being bolt upright like a fucking adore with a pair of glasses on, javelin like a cricket bat. What what should so if I'm not standing up right? Shoulders back, chest out, you know, a big as a tree? What what am I doing? Like? What should my books?
Speaker 2: You make? Because you're built like an adonna? So like you know, it's hard for a blake of your stature, but for the me, my mortals who got shoulders like a javelin or whatnot? As I just thought i'd throw that in because it makes me laugh. Shoulders like a javelin or like a.
Speaker 1: Brown snake or a bottle of milk.
Speaker 2: Or a bottle of milk areas So no, but that comes back to do you remember in like primary school or very early on, we sort of were shown to balance a book on their head and walk around. Yeah, yeah, mate, I think the best they did that.
Speaker 1: I think they did that in elocution classes.
Speaker 2: June Dalley Watkins or whatever. Yes, I believe it was way back in the house in days, but yeah, that one. But I remember doing it and it used to fall off all the time because my sternum was elevated, my thoracic spine was lengthened and straightened. What happens is when you drop does this let go like if you stand up and you just look down and then lift your head up.
Speaker 3: Your sternham is the or when.
Speaker 2: We're up and resisting gravity and then we drop our sternum drops in our chin pops stern and drops chin pops and then the book's flatten. You can walk around all day and it doesn't fall off. And I'm like, oh, that's what we were meant to be doing back in the day, and no wonder I couldn't do it because we're resisting gravity the whole time and we're a thoracic spine is more engaging when you drop it, you're breathing to your belly, parasympathetic.
Speaker 3: Great for sports and what have you.
Speaker 2: And the other kicker is when we do deadlifts and squats, that's actually the posture we're in, but we set up behind the bar or whatnot. And we're tall and exaggerated, but as soon as the weight is on us, then we drop into that posture because of the weight. But when there's no weight, we often resist gravity and to our detriment in a lot of ways, especially with the like. And there's a lot of things with the endocrine system, the respiratory system, neurologically, it's all linked, as you know better than anyone, and it all comes, I believe, come back to posture and this whole idea of diaphragmatic breathing. When the sternams dropped, well, the diaphragm can work properly.
Speaker 1: So okay, so some people are going, yeah, right, cool, But how do I stand? Though? So what's an optimal standing position? If I'm watching the footy and I'm standing there for an hour and I've got a beer in my left hand or a fucking chocolate milk, what's the optimal standing Like, what's my posture doing? If I'm doing it right?
Speaker 2: Well, you just rather than you just let go so you'll feel like how when you're aware of it, you'll just see how you're standing more upright than you need to be, and your hips come under you and you just relax. It's sort of like the bones not the muscles, you know, and the head just sits there like a billiard ball on a pool queue, if you will.
Speaker 3: So you're not like.
Speaker 2: You feel your head out of the way to your head actually more in the back of your neck instead of your lumbers spine.
Speaker 1: Oh wow. So I feel like though, for a lot of people that do that, they're going to just look like a fucking hiphotic kind of you know, shoulders forward, rounded back.
Speaker 2: Is that well, look, well it would look As a sports scientist, I would say it would look like lazy posture, yes, versus you know, esthetic posture or what we were taught was athletic. But when you've got a wait, as I said, that's not what you're doing anyway. But yeah, and you just relax, and you know, I've been working on a golf swing system and the all and a few different bits and pieces and yeah, just tinking away in the back shed out here, and and yeah, a lot of these learnings and just the performance enhancements that they have. But also like you know, in golf as an example, like a lot of these top golf pros that they suffer from stress fractures, in their lower back. It's very common, right, because they've got an engaged lumber spine, you know, and they're Stirnam's up the thoracic lumbers engaged, they overdo it. It's over engaged versus let gravity dropped them over the ball better, like they you know, they swung the club when they were fifteen, sixteen, seventeen, arguably at their best when they were freak junior golfers. And I think it's sort of come from sports science actually, like our domain over cooking, the posture piece that's flown into coaching, you know, that's gone into coaching in sports, and it's you know, two people's detriment. It's really interesting, but it's what I for the general population, what's interesting is how many people have anxiety, and you know, how much of that is related to where the breath goes the chest or the belly or the diaphragm or you know, and I believe that could be postural.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah. And also when you think about like everybody, you know, some people have what's called which you know, but I'll explain it for our listeners, like anterior pelvic tilt where they're kind of their pelvis tilts forward a bit or posterior pelvic tilt, you know, and people who have like what we would call that kind of where you're at the front of your pelvis is much like than the back. Then you have that sway back or that lordonic kind of posture. And then other people almost have like a flat spine. Some people are quite cyphotic, that hunchy back. Some people, like an alarming amount of people have a bit of scoliosis, you know, either very minor or dramatic curvature of the spine. And everybody's skeleton really is in a way, you know, we've all got a skeleton, but they ain't all the same. And then and then we when you think about all the muscles, ligaments, tenons that attached to the skeleton and then move you know, joints, neflextion, extension, blah blah blah blah blah. Like to say that everyone should lift exactly this way, like you should all dead lift this way. Well no, not if you've got a different skeleton to me. There needs to be an adaptation or modification, you know. Like one of the funny things is my left leg is more externally rotated than sorry, my right leg is more externally rotated than my left. So I'm if I'm doing a squat my left foot is it about you know, three minutes to twelve or five minutes to twelve, But my right foot is at about ten.
Speaker 3: Past yeah, yeah, right, So instead of.
Speaker 1: Being at the twelve o'clock, my left foot is turned out a bit, my right foot is turned out more. Now, if you look at me squatting, you would go, oh fuck, put your right foot in because it's turned out. But when I try and do that, when I try and get the same angle in both feet, it feels like my right hip and right fema are twisted. So and that's because all that, for whatever reason, my right leg is externally rotated more than my left, which people who don't know what they're looking for wouldn't notice it, right of course. But for me, where I am feeling the most comfortable and natural, it's the most natural kind of plane of movement. For me. To look at it looks fucked. But when I do it, textbook, I get injured.
Speaker 3: For sure. You know where they would solutely.
Speaker 1: Example, you should have the exact same level of rotation next, you know, so your feet, your feet should be let's say it five to one, you know, five to one o'clock, you know, like a or whatever. That is ten degrees and ten degrees. But yeah, and so I think that. But this thinking in general, like when you talk about like that, that applies to a lot of things, doesn't it, like in terms of it does.
Speaker 2: But he's a good one, so I can to erupt. He's a good one. You know. Chest out, shoulders, back, tummy in. Yeah, do not pass, go, do not collect two hundred dollars. Go straight to anterior pelvic tilt if you chest out, shoulders, back, tummy in, tummy in, especially anterior pelvic tilt if you suck the belly button in, the guts in, and if anyone's you know, carrying a couple kg's and they generally will do that, right, draw the tumming in and what have you. Aesthetically, there's your anterior pelvic tilt. When you're just relax your belly drop. You're not dropping your sternum like the bloody crunch. It's just gravity. It's nothing more. It's nothing forced, there's no manual labor. It's just letting the gravity do its thing. And I think gravity is the thing that's.
Speaker 3: Been missed it.
Speaker 2: We resist it all day unknowingly, and then that has an effect. And when you don't, when you just let your stomach relax, your pelvis is far more inclined to go into a neutral position instead of anterior pelvic tilt, which switches off the hammies, the glutes and the hammies and just the glutes especially. Just have a holiday, and you know, and all this you just activate your glutes and your hammies and all these things happen when you actually let go against gravity and stop resisting it.
Speaker 3: So, yeah, it gets you into much better alignment.
Speaker 1: Could I ask you look thick at the moment, And by thick, I mean like you've put on some muscle, Like you look larger than last time I.
Speaker 2: Saw you a gym.
Speaker 1: Oh so you so you're back in the.
Speaker 2: Well. If this was a month ago, I'd say, mate, I joined a gym, and I joined it a month ago, and I've been twice, but now I've up it a bit since then. But may two times a week or something I get in there.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, you're just up the road.
Speaker 1: You also look like you've got a tear in the top of your bicep.
Speaker 3: Is that right correct? Yes, how'd you do that?
Speaker 2: Bodybuilding? Yeah? Yeah, yeah, bodybuilding, Yeah yeah, in both Lucky there's two tendons there a on the one of them the heavy lifting.
Speaker 1: Lucky it's a bicep and not a un sep.
Speaker 3: Yeah that's right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah. So powers of observation serve your world of quote over one I believe it was back in the day.
Speaker 4: But what opened what opened the door on this new found or resurgence in terms of your your postural stuff and your physiological performance stuff.
Speaker 1: So for those who don't know Jeff, his background is in sports science. He he along with Simo, created Vision Personal Training, biggest PT franchise in Australia. Still Simo is still he's got more money than God. You're still killing it. Yeah yeah, Jeff and I are saving up for fucking rice and Simmo is just rolling around in his Bentley.
Speaker 3: You've got plenty of hals.
Speaker 2: Don't play it down.
Speaker 3: You're going good. But carry it.
Speaker 1: Be ridiculous, don't be ridiculous. And but yeah you but and you built you know, body trim and but you lived in the physical space, working with bodies and the people who inhabited them for a long time. But and it's not like you turned your back on that, but you've been doing other things for a while. What dragged you back into that space?
Speaker 2: Well, good question, mate. I think it started, well, a couple of things out here in the boondocks. I I thought about the golf swing for a while I played all my life, and and also horse riding, and just that all the stuff around the golf swing and riding horses that just didn't line up for me, just the people. It was very ambiguous and or I just wasn't adding up. And then I started this play around with a few different things on horses, hitting golf balls, and I started and just understanding, you know, how the body sort of moved, and realizing that some people have a lazy posture and what have you in sports and others don't. But the thing is, if you don't, you only know what you have and you're not. People generally don't see that others are not posturally the same or engaged as much or as little. But I realized that the body, the biomechanics of the body it were profoundly differently based on your postural level of engagement. So the momentum forces of the club head worked differently. How the horse moves you is different based on how engaged and or tense verse relaxed you are, so you know your center of mass is higher or lower, your center of gravity, all these how you use the ground over the golf board all different. And then that I just sort of started to join more and more dots. Teamed up with the made of mine who's a golf pro, and he went, hang on. Over time, we both realize that you know, everyone's guessing. And now that we've started to join the dots, it's like throwing darts. It's exciting. Same with horses. Riding horses are totally different, and how you recycle the energy of the horse into your body into the horse. And because I know another thing that stayed with me, I guess nearly is sober gift of sobriety seven hundred and two. Like I remember a lot of things that have said to me and Glenn Boss, the jockeys are made of mine. He won three Melbourne Cups, so I'm guessing he's got a pretty good clue about horses. And he was chatting with chat picking his brain one day and you know, he said to me, he said Jeffrey. Just if anything party is tense on a horse, just you know you're going to bounce off.
Speaker 3: And I bounced that off.
Speaker 2: A lot of horsey people and they go, oh no, that's not Oh no, I don't know about that, bla. And over time I realized that, you know, there are people riding in a different seat position based on this posture thing, and one.
Speaker 3: Way is really hard.
Speaker 2: And it's a bit like if a if you're piggybacking a little kid on your back and they're digging their knees into you versus not right, that's what the horse feels based on your posture. And it's been profound with horses and the way that they respond and like really it's the whole other world. And the same thing with golf, and now I can do things with golf that I couldn't before. But getting it that that didn't really get me into the gym. I had a few niggles with the shoulders and whatnot, and I thought, no, it's time I've been taking the piss out of it for a while. Up I went like, just to get rid of the niggles and just you know, they're all good now, thankfully, And yeah, joining the gym was more just just to get myself, you know, physically sort of fit and strong, you know, and get rid of the niggles. And then when I actually started doing weights again, I actually, more than ever in my life, realized just the the mental health benefits and just the brain just comes to life so quickly for me when I start lifting weights, you know, one set and it's just like woosh, the lights are on.
Speaker 3: We how good is this?
Speaker 2: And I probably didn't fully appreciate that in my younger years because I trained most every day. But then you stop and then you start your how wow, unbelievable? Like that alone is just so critical. But I go in there for like fifteen twenty minutes and I'm just doing a thing and get out of there.
Speaker 3: I'm not there.
Speaker 2: I'm not running marathons and I rock up in Ara and Williams or my gun boots and I'm not running on the treadmill. Am I say, like I don't need my runners or not that I got a pair, But like I just get in there and do basic compound lifts and blah blah blah, it's great, Like I enjoy it for that and well, actually I don't know if I super love it because I did it for eight million years, whereas as a young bloke at the local gym and he's sort of you know, young fella trying to put on some weight and you know, blah blah blah, and you know, I just loves it. And they're like, man, you're going to get right right into it, like what's happening now. But I'm like, mate, I'm just just chip away like it does. It's it's different when.
Speaker 3: You did it thirty or for thirty.
Speaker 2: Years, and I just recognize the importance and the benefit of it. But I kind of like the life activities horses, golf and those things a bit more in terms of mental stings. But for the for the you know, physiological health, mental health, like all those benefits are just realizing more than I ever did.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's yeah as you get older, especially I mean I'm a lot older than you. But I think apart from all the other things that people you know could do, Suck in some oxygen, get your heart rate up, do some cardio, do a bit of stretching, you know, get your feet in dirt, get your feet in sand, if you can be in nature, hugger tree, all that stuff, which is all important and I do all of that too. It's like there is something unique about strength training that well, we know that it's cognitively it's cognitively enhancing. It's cognitive enhancer. It produces dopamine, makes you feel good, you know, muscle mass, posture, bone density. Not so sure about the posture after today's chat. But I mean there's a multi there's a multitude of benefits. But as you said, and this is what people don't get, right, you could literally the average punter if the average person who never lifts weights went to a gym two times a week, now here's the caveat and trained effectively, right, not just fucking around thirty minutes. But if the average punter went to maybe three times a week for thirty minutes, and those thirty minutes were really productive and specific to the needs and the physiology of the individual, that one hour or ninety minutes a week is one of the greatest investments of all time because you know, and I know you don't need to. One of the best bodybuilders of all time Dorian right Yates, Remember Dorian back in the day.
Speaker 2: Well bloody, it's one of the cracking videos.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Dorian was in and out of the gym in thirty forty minutes and trained four days a week when he was mister Olympia, and every other dickhead, every other dickhead was doing five hours in the gym seven days a week and Dorian's like in there for forty minutes and he's having three days a week off. And of course yeah, there's a few supplements along the way, but his actual training regime was like really unconventional compared to the masses and got amazing results.
Speaker 2: But as you will know, you know, super compensation I think they call it, and what have you. And you know you're trying to you know, micro tears in the muscle so that it's stimulated and forced to grow and what have you. And if you have a train it that can't happen. And that's why a lot of the young blokes especially want the big Warwick farms and their training every day going backwards. They can't open up can of bloody beans, right, So it's it's like it's counterintuity, paradoxical. But to get good gains, you've just got to you know, hear the muscle on a micro level, and you know, super compensate, and there's your hypertrophy if you eat and eat the right foods, calories, get enough sleep. So it's critical obviously for hypertrophy and getting enough the right macros and whatnot. In the way you go like it's it's it's not volume at all. Yates was all over it, and you know, it's just that we love training so much that we love the feeling and then we can generally overtrain for optimal hyperchashy. Especially fat loss is obviously different, but muscle hyperchasey calorie surplus critical. So yeah, that's that's very interesting. The thing I was going to say as well with the posture, which again I think when you have got a muscular developed physke, you can't have bad posture if you try. I think half the reason people have got bad posture is they've got a no muscle development, right, so all the stuff I'm talking about my body works better on this, but I'm fairly muscularly developed, if you will, and like my posture is good, I don't need to overcook it. So I think sometimes a lot of the stuff I've thought this as well with posture is that it's more the reality is that you know, there's just not enough muscle on the bones to hold people in the right position.
Speaker 3: Right.
Speaker 2: So I've got a thing everyone knows, Tiger Woods and the golfer. And there's a picture of him. I took the picture, but he has when he was in nineteen ninety seven. He hits a shot, but it's a hole in one. It goes in the bloody hole. This is whatever tournament it was. And his posture over the golf ball, he's a lot more. He lets go more against gravity. He can see the subtle curvature in his thoracic spine versus what most people do today.
Speaker 3: And a lot of the top top world.
Speaker 2: Champion golfers were like this when they were younger, and they were corrected by inverted commas the best coaches, and I believe to their detriment both in performance and injury prevention and what have you, due to the sort of stress on the lower back. And that's a classic example of a bloke who that shot, that particular shot went in the hole. One bounce in the hole. But it was once you see it, you can't undersee it because it just peaks you over the ball better and you can press squash the ball better, and you stay out all these things and you lower back doesn't hurt. And it's all these things that I've sort of worked out and looking at other top. You know, Rory mclroy Adams got all these players who were great world champions but were arguably better when they were seventeen before they were changed in so many ways, and it's almost manufactured again through what sports science seemed to be correct. But you know, it's really interesting, mate, it's a whole other world. But the posture thing, I'm fascinated as well. We'd like the neuroscience and what you do and anxiety. Everyone's got anxiety and stress. But if you're breathing into your chest all the time, shallow chest, breathing upright, bolt upright, tall, well you can't not have anxiety stress. So yeah, combine that within your head thinking about what might happen, you're gone like it's horrible.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what's funny as you were talking about, you know the way that people get trained to you know, however you're standing, it's wrong, stand like that, don't sit like that right and look sometimes that is true, sometimes that is accurate, you know. But I was thinking about the amount of people in the gym who have what we colloquially call tennis elbow or what we more accurately know as lateral epicond. The lightis but basically inflammation in the outside of your elbow golfer's elbow side media epicond. The lightis blah blah blah. Right, But I was thinking about Tiff, who does some who works with me on this show. She's She was telling me the other day about, you know, this pain she's got outside of her elbow, which we would call tennis elbow, and I said, when does it hurt? And she goes, when I do curls right, And I said, well, think about this, like when you stand up, like if everyone just stood up now, if you can stand up, just stand up and just relax and see where your hands are.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 1: Where your hands are is usually with the palms facing either your hips or the back, you know, like your palms aren't forward right, So in order to get your I'm standing up now, but in order to get your palms here, you've literally got to like rotate your forearms. And so we're now standing in an unnatural position. And then we put sixty pounds or whatever in our hands and then we do this movement up this elbow flexion and elbow extension, and we go to the bottom of this movement. Now we're standing with our palms facing forward, which we never do. And now not only are we doing this weird movement, we've got that underload, right, which is why, you know, and there are so many things that we do in the gym that are not normal day to day movements, or we're not in the normal plane of movement, or we're not how our we're externally or internally rotated in a weird way, and then we loaded up with weights. So then the easy fix for that is do hammer curls or do curls with your palms facing your midline, you know, is facing your spine, so instead of curling like that and you can see we're curling like that as you know, right. But there's there are a lot of things that are that are taught in gyms, and I guess involf and horse riding that actually absolutely under scrutiny. Don't stand up.
Speaker 2: That's a very good point, and that's what I've been working on in the golf space especially, and with it, I'm lucky I've played a lot of junior golf and was played on my life and one of my junior golf buddies golf pro at my club. Actually it turns out and really humble guy and sort of not full of ego and like, oh no, that's wrong, blah blah. But funnily enough, did like four unit maths and quite intellectually bright, so he understands physics and things. So it's fascinated him and work out a few bits and pieces and just looking at it in terms of more physics gravity momentum forces than are a mass instead of just what everyone does. Yeah, one hundred thousand lemons can't be wrong because and getting back to the point of what got me onto this you're gonna laugh. I think you might bust a riby on this one, so you know, just giving you some.
Speaker 1: Let me put let me type up this tape up.
Speaker 2: Please, but like, okay, no offense to all the golfers. But here's the reality, right, The golf ball doesn't fucking move. It's on the ground and it's stationary. We're not hitting baseballs at one hundred miles an hour. It's not cricket with glenmorgrab banging them down a warning God rest he solid, he's primate and bloody, all sorts of crazy balls that he used to write. The ball doesn't move, but everyone's shit. My brain cannot let that go. The ball doesn't move, gravity doesn't change, right, the club is the same weight and length, and your body doesn't change all of There are no external variables, so it's you can understand the variables the swing coade if you will, of your body because the flipping ball's not moving. You can't. You should not be that shit. So about four years ago and go to any driving range. I won't even say what they say because you know, too many beeps, but like it is, just blokes are just headless of themselves that they just can't hit it and they just blow up and they're just filthy on themselves. And it should the thing that you know, I just couldn't put down, was it. It shouldn't be that hard because the thing's not moving now, so that you don't need brilliant hand like coordination because you're not hitting a moving target. And here's another little I know was sort of into the sports science performance world today, but we've done a million on other.
Speaker 3: Things, so it's probably good to have a little pivot anyway, Prague Anthony.
Speaker 2: But what I here's another thing I remember. I remember going on dates and whatnot back in my early late teens early twenties, like tenpin bowling. I was the shittest tenpin bowl the world's ever seen. Like, you can't if you think you're shit listening to this, you're not shit.
Speaker 3: I was that shit, right, just shit harder. I tried the worse.
Speaker 2: I was like, you need the bumpers up everything for me, and I still might hag it down another few hours. Like I was just shitouse And so there was that factor and darts, free throws shit. Then I thought, hang on, okay, what if this posture I'm talking.
Speaker 3: About, you know you've got if you look at.
Speaker 2: Like I can remember distinctly people, you know, lazy type people who were just weapons at tenpin bowling, darts, these sorts of things because they've dropped the center of mass. It's this posture I'm talking about, and I believe it enhances the hand eye piece or just your body awareness, the whole biomechanics. The feel is different in this postural engagement piece. So the yeah, the like for me, tenpin bowling darts three throws horribly shit, right, And I think there's a whole heap of merit in that, and people who are listening to these you might think, shit, my mate, Barry, Barry's never been to the gymmy as twenty schooners a night. The blokes could be professional dark player. He's carrying probably thirty or forty kegs extra and the bloke's an absolute weapon at darts, tempin, bowling, whatever, because of this posture that this person's got because they're just a bit lazy, right, But then we overcook the posture, we overcooked the tension, and we don't have that what inverted Comma's natural ability? And that leads me to another point around we think people have got these natural gifts and ability. What if they just got lucky with the posture that they adopted, which lended itself more to the sport that they chose. And I believe that's a lot more of the case than people being naturally gifted, especially with a non moving target, for God's sake, and watching major tournaments and the best golfers in the world. A road hooking at left off the first t to the point that I googled the golf course to see if there was an ocean on the right. Because I'm thinking, these are the best golfers in the world, and this now booking it off the first like this is not that doesn't add up to me. My brain's like, hang on, this isn't like the local club champs. But these are the best golfers in the world and they're almost putting it out of bounds off te box one. So again, and then by that point I'd worked out things about the posture. So mate, welcome to my mind.
Speaker 3: Harps. Have you have you.
Speaker 1: Ever heard have you ever heard of a guy called Luke Littler l I double T L E R. No, you're not near a computer.
Speaker 3: You only have your phone, right, Yeah, but I will google him later.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So Luke Littler, God bless him is. He is an absolute phenom in darts. Now, if you look at Luke, Luke looks like, and I mean this with respect, like he's a big boy. He does not look like by the way, he's fucking brilliant. Right. He started winning like big titles when he was sick. He's seventeen years old. Now he's a big boy. We would say he's not fit he probably doesn't have a great diet, and he just does not look like an athlete at all. But darts, of course, incredible hand eye coordinations, skill, dexterity, balanced timing, fucking eyes whatever I mean it is. I wouldn't call it athletic, but it's definitely yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a game of skill. It requires precision repetition, yes.
Speaker 1: One hundred. And he's amazing. He's amazing, and it kind of supports your theory, you know, whereas he does not at all look like an athlete. He looked by the way, it looks like he's thirty years old. He's got stubble.
Speaker 2: But what you touched on there is exactly what I'm I absolutely believe. I'm glad we actually somehow came onto this topic today because we were talking. You mentioned that post about anxiety, which I'm glad you did because that was the starting point regarding parasympathetic belly breathing diaphragmatic which is optimized and you know that it forces you to do that when you let go against gravity and the sternam drops. But that also helps neurologically physiologically with anxiety, stress and whatnot, but also sports performance and these types of people. I've got a client of mine, right, he's commercial real estate. He's not a bloody professional athlete. But he started playing just like basketball Monday nights, and you know, sometimes we had about all sorts of things, and I told him to try this, mate, he might be I don't think he's missed a free throw in competition since once he just did what we're talking about here. He goes, you dead set onto something here like this is like it changes the mechanics. If you will, your center of mass drops, You've got more feel. I think what it does, he says, that isolates the variables, like there's not as many moves in parts when you're up taller, sorry, when you dropped down and it's just sort of the arm piece and it's not everything. Sort of you're more dynamically stable when you've dropped. And Paul Batman album mate dot PhD in exercise science, I running through all this and he's like, mate, I think you're actually right. I think we overcooked it. I think with all this stuff you know in sports science. And we chat away a bit and he said, you know what with obviously Daniel's son tragically passed away, but Daniel was an Olympic. He went to the Olympics for Australia, one of the best four hundred meter runners.
Speaker 3: Australia's ever had.
Speaker 2: And Paul said to me, he said, you know what, with sprinting, they actually teach you to get down low, like you drop your Sternham. And I was never, ladies and gentlemen that good at sprinting, rest assured, but I have had a few cracks out at doing this. Then tell you what there might have to be a comeback to, because I'm lightning, absolutely lightning. You use the ground more, you agree with the action forces are massively enhanced, and you just push the gluts everything.
Speaker 1: So well, if you see, if you see, you sayin bolt over the first forty meters he's looking at the ground, Yes, yeah, yeah, he's literally in significant you know, pelvic flexion. Yes, and he's hunched over. He starts to stand more upright, and I mean maybe it's not forty meters, but it's definitely twenty or thirty meters. Well, he's hunched over, he's running in yes, almost a prone position.
Speaker 2: Yes, yes, yes, perhaps it's really I'm so glad we touched on this.
Speaker 3: I'd love to unpack.
Speaker 2: It, you know, in future you know episodes if people are interested, because I think there's a big like a few things have been missed, you know, by you know, when we're the most guilty is judge, we've got the bloody degrees, like and it's just really looking at where things you know, originated from and what. And I think a lot of this with posture is everybody knows if you don't round your back when you pick something up, because you'll hurt. You're like, you know, all that got it, But then we took it too far the other way. We hollowed the shit out of it, and we were bolt upright right, so you split the difference. And the spine is a wonderful thing, Like it's like a snake. And also because of the way the human spine is, you know, it's actually can be put into so many different subtle variations that under clothes and different body composition and aesthetics is very hard to detect, especially up in the thoracic and you know, but with the breathing for me, like it's a game changer because when you're up in your chest you can get really rattled and anxious and when you're in your belly, you're good as gold, and that obviously affects sports, but just mental well being for God's sake, to get rid of the bloody anxiety that plagues everyone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, you know, I was just thinking then when you're talking about picking something up off the floor, right, and it's like, okay, you know, activate your TVA transverse subdominance, like into it. Like it's almost like you get into this weird position that you're never in right now. While you're in that weird position that's not usual or normal for you pick some shit up. It's like, you know, and I mean, of course, like activating your core and all of that. Of course not a bad thing, of course, but yeah, I think it is. It is funny that there's a lot of stuff, especially in in exercise science that like you and I, you and I both got taught at some stage, well I did, I'm sure you did, and a lot of our listeners are. Okay, So power is two to four reps. Strength is four to eight reps, eight to fifteen reps. Anything above fifteen reps is muscular endurance and what a lot of fucking bullshit, Like think about Olympic cyclists who do thousands of fucking reps and they've got the biggest quads in the world, you know what I mean, thousands of thousands of reps of the same way. Think about Olympic swimmers who are just doing basically the same movement countless times with the same body and the same resistance through the water depending on how fast they're going or what stroke they're doing, But who have got these giant fucking shoulders and backs. You know, Like there's so much that is held as kind of gospel.
Speaker 3: I'm scientific in stone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's it's like it's complete bullshit.
Speaker 2: You one more thing I want you to sorry interrupt, I get excited.
Speaker 1: I'm ready, I'm ready. One more.
Speaker 2: One more thing, Like next, I know you're a deadlifting spleened at your local Jimmy. Like, so next time you're deadlifting, probably in the.
Speaker 3: Night, you'll be there. You love it.
Speaker 2: But next time you're deadlifting, right, try this because now once you're aware of it, you have these profound realizations. You go to deadlift. Everyone talks about core and core engagement and activation. I'm certain it's involuntary when the posture is correct. It's not in a girl quantum physics string theory folks all, but that it's been turned into that for fox's sake. Same with the bloody Gulf swing, Like everyone's treating the effects during the swing, which is mission impossible dot com versus like getting it right with posturally and the pressure and then it's automatic. So but with a dead lift, when you go, when you like getting up off the bed, when you go to actually lift the weight, you get down to the bar, you go to lift that up, you have this little inhale the balloon core infra adominal pressure and your core goes, it engages, but you're not flexing your core. It's intra abdominal internal pressure that the muscles can then brace against versus an empty void and just a telegraph pole and then but that's what we do when we're deadlift. We're not excessively hollowing our lumber back to our detriment because the erect of spine muscles are like not taking a knife to a gunfight. No, it's that pressure in torso box trunk up with obviously the lumber spine that spinal erectors, but the intra abdominal pressure is so big that's what we do. But we don't realize it now me back as a personal trainer. Oh, it's distinctly remembered tea teaching the squat, right, this is it's not funny, but it was so wrong when I look back to it. It's not funny, but it just wasn't what I thought I was doing. So someone you're teach him how to squat rite chest out, shoulders back, you know, chest out. I used to say chest out, bum out, comming in, chest out, bumm out, tummy, and that was Ouzzie Jeff. I still remember it. Chest out, bumming out coming in my flip and tummy is not in when I'm doing a heavy squad, like my guts press out. I'm not not. You get under any proper weight, you are not sucking your navel in. You do, you'll absolutely you'll be straight to the hospital. But we don't. For whatever reason, we don't. We don't. We didn't realize that, Like you might be about to squat. Tommy's in here sort of prepping to do it. As soon as you take the weight off the rack, the guts are pressed out and the core is rock solid, like someone could punch you in the guts. It it's like you're bracing for a stomach punch. That's how your squat. Your navel's not drawn in. But yet, for whatever reason, that was what we sort of told people, and those that are like I don't understand. Well, now bloody well know why because I was never doing that. I might have just been doing it esthetically prior to because once there's a weight, we have to do that.
Speaker 1: Mm well, think about the biggest squatters in the world. They all have those. Firstly, they have those big fat white belts. Yeah, their gut is literally pushed against that. Yeah. Mate, we're going to wind up. But I'm looking at your Instagram right now. You've got zero followers and you don't even follow me. That's very hurtful. So you better jump on have.
Speaker 3: One next time, Greg Anthony Hamper.
Speaker 1: Next time you'll have one, Hey, buddy, Speaking of Instagram, So Jeff's Insta is just ge f F Jeff Jowett all one word, two teas on jouet Jeff Jowett. You can follow him on install Where else can people connect with you?
Speaker 2: Grace, that'd be it harps. I keep it real simple, ha ha.
Speaker 1: Okay, So if people want to message you know, I know you're a fucking hermit and you hate people, which getting.
Speaker 2: Out there made I'm really introducing myself to sort of society. And I'm out there at the gym and I'm getting out and about and go for this and that. So I wouldn't call myself a social butterfly opening of an envelope like I was back in the day when you came down to visit at Body trim mate. But I'm crawling out of the cave and you know, reassimilating. It's good.
Speaker 1: I remember you'd taken me out for lunch with I think two other blokes that I didn't know, and this would have been fifteen years ago, and I was, you know, full eating disorder mode. I think I had two lettuce leaves and a third of a chicken breast and three cups of air and you and your mates had million dollars.
Speaker 2: A line and about Bloody the slow cook lambs at the Athenian Greek restaurant there on Barricks Street.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, correct, And I'm pretty sure lunch was too grand. And I like, who is this person? What is this You are such a different person to that person.
Speaker 2: But I think that that's a big part of like It wasn't like I poked around it that life like I you know, I did it and it was wonderful, and you know, it's sort of like it's an adventure life and like you know, so I don't. They were great times and all the great meals and whatnot, but like you know, at this point in my life, I'm just's nice to keep it simple. But yeah, times change and what have you.
Speaker 1: Well, mate, I appreciate you. It's good to catch up. We'll say goodbye affair, but for the minute, Thanks again, buddy. Appreciate you.
Speaker 3: Always a pleasure, never a chore for you. Harps