Speaker 1: Get a Groover's Craig Anthony Ar Tiffany and Cook and Andrew bran May. I made that up. What's your middle name, mate, Dick ri Richard? Yeah, Andrew, we're going to go with Dick Andrew Dick may or he may not. Tiff, Welcome to you. How are you good?
Speaker 2: This is the second May in a row, consecutive mays. Brianna was right before this was May as well.
Speaker 1: Well, of course we we just did a podcast which Tiff and I got out of about three point seven minutes ago with Brianna May, the fabulous Brianni May, who neither of us knew.
Speaker 2: But she was quite impressive, wasn't she, Tiff? And now we're all besties. So cho's Bill Andrew May.
Speaker 3: Sorry to let you down, Tiff, but it's going to be downhill from here. I think started downhill before. We have had a floppy microphone, but I fixed it up. We're good to go.
Speaker 1: Well, we don't want you having, you know, performance issues with your microphone on the podcast, just for.
Speaker 3: People listening, so I don't think we're just getting thrown into Dick jokes. Even though it's my middle name. It just kept dropping down. It was really disconcerting. So we fixed it up.
Speaker 1: We're ready to go. What you want to do is you want to undersell and over deliver. So we'll keep people's expectations low for the moment and that we'll build to an inspirational, educational crescendo at about minute forty. So sit on the edge of you seat, everyone, Andrew, welcome back to the show. It's been a long time, my friend. And yesterday I spoke with you. Are you in wa or Queensland? Yesterday? I think wa.
Speaker 3: Wa Garden Island. There is a garden island in Sydney with a naval base, and there's one in Wa as well. I was there with a bunch of people from Defense doing a program we're doing. It's called social Mastery. So in defense they've got domain mastery, AirLand, Sea technical mastery. You could be a diesel mechanic or you could be a fighter pilot. And they got this thing Tip and Harps called social mastery. And this surprised me. Harps, but a consulting firm when in about ten years ago charged in an exorbitant amount of money, gave them sweet fa and I'm sent the invoice and it's sat there gathering dusk. So we've had a beautiful opportunity with a part of Navy first of all called MAS Maritime Acquisition Sustainment to do a pilot and then that's now being picked up and I'm really proud of it, of the program and the relationship. So now we're working across Navy, Army, Air Force and APS Australian public sector. So we're there yesterday with a bunch of wonderful men and women whose job literally is to serve and defend our country.
Speaker 1: Y'ah amazing, well, good forew congratulations on that. Are they Are they receptive? How are they when a civilian walks in the room and starts to tell them what to do and how to do it so to speak? Yeah, it's a good question.
Speaker 3: When I first launched this program two and a half three years ago, we had half the room with our file to thinking who's his idiot with a shiny head up the front. But we've had some really good partners there. And you two know this. When you're doing a corporate program and you em better, you don't try and be the people you're working with. You show a respect, you show a learning about where they are, but come with an outside perspective, and that's something you told me years ago, Harps. You don't have to be anyone other than yourself. You know, you're the best version of yourself. So we found a really nice sweet spot. And then I got to thank you as well, Jackie Lauder, Jack one of your good mates, the Collingwood sports psych Melbourne Storm sports psych. I introduced jack and say she's the best mental skills coach in the world, and she whispers to me, what are you? I said, I'm way behind you, Champ. But Jackie's doing work on that program as well. We're bringing a whole different bunch of people in so that's been really nice. So it's not the knee show. We bought in Kieran Gribbon recently. He's the most recent lead singer of an Excess. So can you imagine this, Harps. And if you're starting a program with five hundred people at the ad For Academy and Canberra and you've got this rock star literally up the front singing myster Fi on an acoustic guitar, like there's no there is no competing against that, and every man and woman in the room either wanted to be him or be with him, probably a combination of the two.
Speaker 1: I'm not sure if it's a good idea to bring in people that are way better. They're and smarter and more talented than you.
Speaker 3: Mate, I've learned that, Harps the last and you've done this beautifully. Mate. You are the massive underselling. You are much more than the fat kid from MOWI. You bring all these people on the podcast. So that's one thing I've learned Harps and Tiff is to be conscious of what you're good at and then to bring other people in and to have a collective sum that's much bigger than you by yourself.
Speaker 1: Taking a while to learn that, Harps. Yeah, you know, like you're always We spoke just an hour ago when we're talking with Briann, and we spoke about the same thing about you know, it sounds cheesy being the lifelong learner, right, but it's true. It's like and all that, you know, the world's my classroom, everyone's potential teacher. It sounds like bullshit, but when you scrape the cheese off it, it's fucking true. It's like I learn even when I am coaching someone or I'm working with a group, and I'm the one kind of commissioned. With the teaching role. I'm still learning from them what not to do and how not to be and occasionally being corrected on a point of fact, you know where I go, Oh, I got that wrong, you know. And I think if you can't genuinely be okay with fucking up and getting stuff wrong, well, then you're just operating an ego and then you're never going to be a great teacher anyway.
Speaker 3: I think if you get like that, you give up, and if you're probably given a bit of leeway. I'm not as a young boy or girl or whipper snipper, we dance between that performance based identity. I perform, therefore I am, and I recommend it up until forty x ex exogenous external extrinsic. It was very much related to faux po fear of other people's opinion that doctor Michael Tavais talks about. And then you get to a couple of life events or maybe you get your head out of your proverbial or a bit of mentoring and do a bit more research and study and realize, hey, performing is good so I can have a strong personal identity and capital And what's this all about? A purpose based identity, and a purpose based identity is more around meaning and that connection to why and why you're here on the planet. So I've spent a lot of time perps thinking about this myself the last five years, and I do a lot of work around this with executives, getting that balance right between the performer and you. And I spoke about this in our last podcast, that balance between the performer on the stage in the cauldron and the person and getting vation between the two, but then really looking at Okay, I can perform, but what's it all about? So back to what you're saying, part of that balance. Yeah, I learned more from some of my exact clients made who run banks or consulting firms. And I feel guilty sometimes sending an invoice because I'm sending this invoice, it's studios that I'm actually charging you, and as I'm going for a coaching session or walking with you having a coffee, you're filling up my cup and I think I should be paying you. But if any of my coaching clients listen to that, I'm not holding you to it. We like the invoices to be paid harps, but I like acknowledging that you're so true lifelong learner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's true, And I told you yesterday. I've been doing a little bit of work with Victoria Police, who are great, and about a month ago I did my first session with them, and it was a day. It was a whole day, and there was a little bit of legs crossed and arms crossed and mind's crossed at the start as well. And it wasn't that they weren't open, it was just that they didn't know me. Some of them knew me but or knew of me, but most didn't. And yeah, it's really interesting because you go in with an idea of what you're going to do, what you're going to talk about. You know, with me, it's a vague structure. I'm not as structured and as methodical and as organized as you are. I don't think made. I'm a little bit more like you know, golden retriever sixty year old golden retriever around food. That's a bit me. But it's interesting because I felt a shift about might at know, we started at nine, maybe quught it at nine. By about eleven, there was a real shift of energy in the room and everyone was on board and all the arms and the legs were uncrossing, and it's like it just takes a while to build that trust and respect and rapport, and you know, sometimes you don't. Sometimes you don't get there. But it's that knowing, knowing what to share and what not to share, and which doors to open and not and what questions to ask or not to ask. And I got to about midday and I hadn't sworn, which is like, really, I know, I know, it's like not breathing. Way I nearly said the F word and I said sorry, I nearly dropped the F bomb. And I said, by the way, you do not know how amazingly restrained I've been today. I go I normally swear a lot, and they're like, oh, we'll feel free. I go really, and the boss goes, fuck yeah. I'm like, all right, all right, let him go to let him go. Hey.
Speaker 3: Two things on that. One is I'm less planned than I used to. I like the oxymoron planned spontaneity. So I'll go into a workshop, I'll go into doing work with athletes or a sporting team. I'll have a structure. And then the spontaneity part is you adapt because you can say, right, I've got it mapped out from part one to ten and they're not ready for six or they need to jump to part eight from three. Yeah, that's the model, is planned spontaneity.
Speaker 1: Two.
Speaker 3: A question for both of you will flip it around. The confidence of a psychological constructor is two components. It's one doing the work and two it's backing yourself. So I'd say, the reason why you can go into a room and have a sheet of paper and a whole bit of stories and ideas and am I going to drop the F bomb or not is because you've got confidence and you built that over years.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 3: A more detailed definition of confidence is you've got the internal resources to match your external demands, and you've trained that in multiple ways. And I heard the beautiful podcast you did about mentor mentee, but you even flipped it and said you're learning as much from Tiff as she used from you. So the question I've got for both of you, do you still when you go to a room like you're going into police do you have that imposter syndrome?
Speaker 1: Harps? Yeah, the volume goes up and down. I think for me, it's like people think I'm very confident and I am sometimes and sometimes not, I will. So part of my PhD is doing basically these reviews where you stand in front of an academic board and they're called academic milestones. And my last one was a few months ago, where I had to go and stand in front of a board and present my research and findings and methodology and basically justify your place in the program. Right, Mazie, I am so fucking out of my comfort zone because they don't. Firstly, not that they should. They don't give a fuck about me any more than any other student, and neither should they. But you know, I'm used to going into a space where I'm the guy up the front, teaching and talking and getting paid well. Right, So with that comes I guess a sense of whatever. Yeah, I've done this a lot, I'm back here. I'm doing it again. I'm not terrible at it. That's why they bring me back. Blah blah blah. But people say to me, have said to me many times, oh, you'll kill that, like the academic review. No, it's like standing naked in a bunch of judges who do not know you all. You are a student number three, five, one, two, six or whatever I am, and You're being entirely judged on your academic output, and so all my bullshit isn't worth anything. All my charisma, my stories, my skills, my it doesn't count at all.
Speaker 3: In fact, it probably works against you if you pull out the jazz hands and the charisma and your flexic Yeah, it's the stuff.
Speaker 1: That he might fucking go to the jazz hand.
Speaker 3: Joe's head has been tapped down, like, oh, I don't.
Speaker 1: Compostly make the most terrifying hour of my last year. And also my dad had a heart attack in the last year, but this was still more terrifying? Was that hour? My final review? I'm like, I was so fucking scared and so bad, so bad.
Speaker 3: If we get a bit meta on that, get above it. How awesome is it that at your youthful stage in your career and you've been doing this for a long time, And for context I went to you. We mentioned this in one of our previous podcasts. I was twenty one, had a full head of hair half the way I am now, had a gold hoop hearing it's a good look.
Speaker 4: Tiff, only I'll require a photo.
Speaker 3: I'll send one through and like the ladies were really like wanting to come and meet me. They just they were too shy to let me know. But I remember speaking to you way back then, Harps, and you were giving and you're still learning, and what are we talking twenty five years later? So I love hearing that you are putting yourself in a position only foreignty where you scare the shit out of here.
Speaker 1: The growth of.
Speaker 3: Learning you get from that is so much better than sticking in the comfort lane up the front and your pants and your bare feet and your sheet, doing what you've done all the.
Speaker 1: Time, one hundred percent. And I think, you know, there's like there's a lot of cliches that when you get past, like I said before, or the cheesiness of them, they're true. And I've said this to Tiff many times. I go, when you're the smartest in the room, get out of the room, go to another room, And the moment that I think I'm getting pretty good, generally, problems happen. You know. It's like I know what I'm not bad at. I also know what I don't know, and there's so much more that I don't know. There's so many skills that I don't have. There's so much understanding that I don't have. And I'm not saying this to sound noble and fucking humble, It's just true. So like everyone, you optimize your strengths as much as you can while not pretending that you don't have weaknesses. And I think, you know, when we think about I'm diverging a little bit. But when we think about health, we think about longevity, we think about wellness, cognitive function, physiological function. I'm sure that and I'm not genetically gifted, but I'm sure that I'm in pretty good shape just because I keep getting uncomfortable, you know, just because I keep doing shit that I'm not good at and I eventually get good at it. But I've been doing that since I was you know, fourteen is just starting things that when I start, I'm a white belt, and it's like I've never started anything that I was automatically good at.
Speaker 3: Ever, you know, when I grew up and when i'm your age, I hope I had the same level of curiosity. Yeah, well, I think it's it's like I think for me, like just like lifting weights keeps your body young, and but it literally does from a functional perspective. Obviously, chronology is another thing, but physiology is manipulatable, the way we age, we can we can influence largely now, but also the way that our brain ages, the way that our brain works, the way that our brain you know, builds muscle in inverted commas or wastes. You know, all of this stuff is to a point within our control. And you know it's just and it's cliche, but it also is just a matter of doing the work like which isn't.
Speaker 1: Sexy, fun quick reps and sets.
Speaker 3: We talk about it background both as a strength and conditioning coach. Do you want to get strong, powerful, fit and fast, you go to the gym, you go the pool, the track, the VELODROMEI you do the reps and sets. If you want to be strong mentally, emotionally, cognitively, you've also got to do the reps and sets. A native imposter syndrome, Do you get it?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: I was going to say, before you know, five or six years ago, or whenever I started my Harps stalking mentor stalking journey, it was actually the moment there was a conversation or something where Harps talked about imposter syndrome and talked about that idea that he still he still had that experience yet the dial turns up and down. That was a moment for me where I went, oh, if Craig Harper gets imposter syndrome, I better get off my ass and get busy. That was a big moment for me. And I think another thing is I see myself play small around people. So in some spaces I can self promote and feel confident and go and know have real confidence in what I'm all about. And then and it's been a grapple sometimes working alongside Harps and with Harps in that respect, because I had I started off as that he's the mentor, he's the guru, He's the guy that I want to be aligned with. And then when I was lucky enough to be aligned with him, I was really you know, I'd feel myself play small and maybe as a sign of respect or intimidation at times.
Speaker 4: So that's been something to grapple with too.
Speaker 3: I can know you're much better, Harps. And I'm thinking of my situation. My tiff is ang And when Anne started we're at KPMG. I went in there as a lateral higher partner, which means alien they bought my business. I had no idea about risk compliance, stakeholder engagement swore way too much and I was so green, so they gave Ange to me. We're so different, but we're so balanced. She is so much of an asset for me, and Ange will say I'm an asset for her. So it's really shifted and I now see the relationship as not on a boss and she follows. We dance between followership and leadership. That's really nice when a relationship evolved. So you've got your organization chart, then you've got your skill domain. So I like to think with my team and the teams I work with. You you have a different title, but you get that blend between Hey, I'm going to follow and and really look to what you do, and then other times I'm going to lead. I think that's a big learning from defense. They talk about followership is a skill as well as leading.
Speaker 1: Yeah, do you know when you're interviewing a podcaster, because all of a sudden, he fucking starts interviewing us, like, what's happened, what's happened?
Speaker 4: Very smooth, what'smooth?
Speaker 1: What's going on? And how good is his voice? I could just go to sleep with It's super sexy. I could go to sleep with him just talking in my ear.
Speaker 4: Should records some meditations for insight time.
Speaker 3: Andrew, we're doing some I'm doing some meditations for my Manly Boys. I work with a man mighty Manly Seagles, and we're getting into mind from as heaps, Tiff and harp. So we have Yeah, we've got We've got ten minute tracks because the research shows the med minimum effective dose for mindfulness is about six minutes. Ten minutes is better. Twenty seven to twenty eight is awesome, but I'm not going to get any athlete to do twenty seven to twenty eight. So there We've got a bunch of mindfulness tracks that we do. In fact, Harps, you love this. We're starting now the week and it varies because the Boys will play anywhere from Thursday nights through until Monday if it's a public holiday, normally Thursday to Sunday, so the start of the week could be Sunday, it could be Tuesday or Wednesday. But the first I'm so proud of this. The first fifteen minutes of the week is Manly Mindfulness, where we spend fifteen minutes get the boys. They sit up close the eye, so you're shutting off the irs connected to the brain. And processing information, so we give them a little bit of info, Harps, not too much. The first couple of minutes is just compartmentalizing what happened last week. Just put it in a lunch box, wipe the board clean. Then we get into a bit of breathing to change state. Then we do some gratitude what are you grateful for? And then part three is then really narrow the focus. This week we're playing this team.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 3: And in fifteen minutes and what I laugh is I've had boys tiff sort of digressing, but it's connected to your question. The boys said, hey, can you record something? So we have.
Speaker 1: I'm just delighted, Harps.
Speaker 3: So I've got big footballers up to one hundred and twenty five kilo saying can you give me an audio track that I can play at home so I can be chilled with my missus and my kids.
Speaker 1: Mate, you genuinely have a great voice for it. I fucking hate my voice, so I'd rather listen to you than me. And that's not me trying to make you feel good. You have a great voice for it, and I.
Speaker 3: Think what's interesting everyone thinks. So I listened to your podcast and go Yeah, he's got a really good resonance and I love the dance between you two as well.
Speaker 1: It's the contrast.
Speaker 3: But I had voice lessons a number of years ago when I was in Hobart, because when I was doing half day workshops, it started with a Keino then half day workshops, did a few full day and my voices you know, you get that raspy voice. Yeah, both had a lot of your audience speak a lot they've had it. So I went to Lorraine Merit from Neither originally from lon cesstin Tasmania. I can't say Lorraine without talking like that. And she got me to do some wonderful voice exercises and I still do them. I do them before I speak. In fact, I do have a podcast Harps and I interviewed small Thing Kiir and Gribbin from in Excess. I mentioned him before and I was asking him about what does he do as a performer going through voice exercises, and it's similar to the stuff I've learned from the rain. So yeah, her name was popped up twice today. Well, there is a person on this call at the moment who also is from Tasmania, a lon Cestern specific Sorry, sorry, jeez.
Speaker 1: At least from Hobart the nemesis nemosis. Hey, I just want to step back one bit that I didn't get a chance because you two fucking talk too much. I wanted to talk about impost syndrome a little bit, just to say that I think one of the mistakes that we make is that we try to defeat imposter syndrome, defeat insecurity, defeat self doubt. It's like, no, dude, no, You're just going to coexist with it. It like it's for me it, you know, Like I said, the volume goes up and down. Sometimes I think I'm all right. Sometimes I think I'm doing terrible. Sometimes I'm intimidated. People would think I would never get intimidated, not in a physical fear sense, but in a like I interviewed a guy this morning who's the world authority on forgiveness, and he's written a bunch of how.
Speaker 3: Many times you just apologize?
Speaker 1: But he was like, really brilliant, you know, And I know that I'm okay at interviewing. I know, I know. Can I just pause, Tiff, well done?
Speaker 3: He didn't acknowledge that that was a good He just he just rolled over, what did.
Speaker 4: You say, did you ask for some forgiveness?
Speaker 3: Oh?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I need to seek forgiveness. This is your podcast. Sorry anyway, all good. All I was going to say is, even this morning, I was feeling somewhat insecure because I'm thinking, Fuck, I don't know, like this guy is the guy in the world on this topic. And I hope my questions I always not always. I periodically worry when someone's been interviewed hundreds of times and they're in a very specific field that I'm going to ask them questions that they're like, fuck this question again. You know they're going to roll their eyes. Oh that old press play press play. Yeah, So I try. I try to avoid that.
Speaker 3: I was going to ask you closing up on the imposter syndrome. I like that dial it up and down because I talk about the extremes of imposter syndrome. If you don't have it, you are a narcissistic asshole and around like if you just rock into everything and you think you're a leegiand other people do not have the same shared experience. And I believe you've done a PhD in that if you have too much imposter syndrome, it cripples you. So it's a bit like golded locks in the three. You know, this porridge is just right. I had a big dose of imposter syndrome earlier this week, and I love that I did because it means I'm challenging myself. Imposter syndrome means your care. The impost syndrome means what you're doing is important to you. So the interview you had earlier today, you care about that a lot more than some blake with a shiny head.
Speaker 1: Oh, I care mate, I want to impre. I did a gig last week for Fernwood, God Bless Fernwood, and I went in there and I was spoken with Furwood a bunch. They like me. I like them. We have a good time. Went to Queensland six months ago, spoke at their national conference, and then I spoke down here last week and I went in pretty confident I'm going to go about a nine. I was about a nine. And then I walked in and Donna Aston was speaking, and Donna Aston was fucking crushing and I'm like, and they loved her like that she had them. She had about one hundred and fifty women in the palm of her hand, and she could have taken a dump on stage, she would have got a fucking round of applause, like they loved her right, and she was brilliant, And as I was sitting in the middle of her brilliance, my confidence just started to die and I'm like, oh fuck, I don't want to follow her. She's us. So by the time I got up there, I was about a rock solid four. I had to work my way into it.
Speaker 3: That's probably about that's that self regulation mechanisms, Yeah, closing it out. I now regularly want the bean situations where I have imposter syndrome and if you're not, you're probably not stretching. So so earlier in the week I went in and Joe Schmid invited me into the Wallabies camp. So the Wallabies play a time of recording. They play Wales tomorrow, so there's a new coach, three new assistant coaches, new how to performance, new physio. Out of the players that went to the Debarkle under Eddie Jones Well Cup last year, there's only twelve players in this squad out of thirty eight, so it's a whole new rasion. So they're all nervous. Joe's asked me to come in for two days, which was awesome. I was so nervous. In fact, that morning I got there early and I went to a coffee shop and I just sat out and had a coffee. But I've done a bit of work with some of the war retars boys, so I know a few of them. But I was really nervous, and I actually was sitting in there, going, this is good, This.
Speaker 1: Means I care.
Speaker 3: Dial it back a bit, cham because I don't want to go in there because if you're too nervous, you're going to say something stupid and be a bit of a dick.
Speaker 1: So just getting the.
Speaker 3: Filter right and knowing that that awareness that this means I care, but then down regulate, relax a little bit, go back to you. I've done stuff like this before. It's not you. I'm not being judged, and get that nice filter.
Speaker 1: You're definitely being judged, but that's okay. You always are. Everyone's always watching. Hey, what's the convergence and divergence of working with athletes versus corporates? So what's what's resonant, what's relevant and what's irrelevant or what's the same and what's different.
Speaker 3: What's irrelevant is when you stand up and go hey, I work with insert sport, and this is the way you kick the winning goal in the AFL Grand Final. This is the way you whip it out the back line with speed and get your wing or outside back to score a try. This is the way you're dominating a fight. And the upper cut that sitting there going you're a wanker, mate, and you've got no idea about how to run a bank or a FMC or a transport company. I'm really really conscious probably over to it sometimes of some of these stories I'm going to tell you relate to sport, and then there's storytelling when you're doing a conference or a podcast. Yes, but I'm really clear as well that it's not exactly the same. What's also really different. Sport's easy from a recovery and loading point of view, because with our athletes in season AFL, NRL, Super Rugby Netball, they have a defined competition, so they know when they're playing, when they're recovering, and it's this beautiful oscillation between stress and recovery. Yeah, you've got crowd media, sponsorships and there's all these other complexities, but in many ways it's much more simple. Whereas you're the see of a bank or you're the ceover Telco.
Speaker 1: You don't have this.
Speaker 3: Beautiful oscillation between stress and recovery. You might have a board member who comes out they've had an or something, sleats at an off site, and you're about to go to Hawaii. You get a phone call and you have to stay home, so you're always on. So there's a huge contrast in that as well. What I like though, is and I'm sure you did this, Whereas for years it was me from sport into corporate and then I just went corporate. Now I've actually used corporate to go back to sport. I'm working across a number of different teams in different sports doing mental skills and leadership. A number of years ago, it would have been you just do one team and you go and go deep. But because I've learned how to scale through technology and have a podcast and you take snippets out of that and have a digital platform, and I've learned that, Like we were talking at the start today, when I run a mental skills program, so it mainly I say it's our program, so it's as much Anthony c. Buld, the head coach JC, had a performance and bails ahead physio and especially with JC. He's driving more of the program than I am, Harps, So that's been a huge learning that I've adapted from. I went to KPMG with no idea about how to scale a business because I thought it was me up until there. And I had a great coach when I went to KPMG. And I didn't realize this, but I probably came across as a bit of a selfish asshole. And I don't think I am by trait. It just said, I've been so used to doing my own thing, and then when you go into a consulting firm and there's six hundred other partners. The analogy she gave me is, Andrew, you've been in a fighter pilot where you've been a fighter pilot in your jet and you land and everything's about you.
Speaker 1: You're now the co.
Speaker 3: Pilot of an A three eighty with six hundred and ninety nine other people and you've got.
Speaker 1: To share the cockpit. Beautiful analogy. I love that.
Speaker 3: But now, Harps, I think I'm in this beautiful place at fifty where I feel like I'm just starting and I freaking love working across different sports, and I love working across corporate and defense and I see it's this nice merging of both and you can dial it up and dial it back, and then I feel, yeah, I feel like. There's a great book called Range by David Epstein, and I'm sure you've read it, heard about it, heard people talk about it, and it's the collective sum of experiences we have has got us to exactly where we need to be right now. I reckon it's taken me twenty five years to become an overnight success, and a whole bunch of experiences, trials, tribulation, success, fuck ups and everything. I want way to be in a spot where I'm comfortable to do that. Do you talk to.
Speaker 1: Groups and individuals about self awareness, other awareness, social awareness? If you do, what do you talk to them about? And how do you open that door? Yeah?
Speaker 3: George Angel back in nineteen seventy seven spoke about the biopsychosocial model. I think sometimes we come up with stuff and do things and think, hey, I'm onto something here, and then you out this theory and I go, geez, someone else has thought about this. So if there's a model I give you, it is that I think it's the whole human So bio is your physiology and US human and operating system. Psycho is thoughts and feelings and emotional and we've got to regularly do an iOS upgrade on our head, just like we need to do on our iPhones. And then that social is no man, No woman is an island. So you look at relationships social, you also look at cultural that's massive. I find in sports, especially a lot of the Contact Sports Union and league high in Pacific notions like I could have the best toolkit in the world around psychology. And this is the mistake I think a lot of psychs make, or previously made when they're running corpor or sports programs. Hey I'm a psych and it's about schema, and I've got all these tools head down.
Speaker 1: But I know a lot of.
Speaker 3: Players have more of a physical intelligence, so it's legs up or toes up, and then some are right in the middle. So answering your question of a long way, awareness is everything self awareness. And I've been deep on mindfulness the past twelve months. And if apparently mindfulness has been around a while, it's not new. Two and a half thousand years ago, the Japanese samurai were practicing mindfulness. You look at different cultures like the Yogis in India. We're doing a very similar time. And while you've got different cults, there's totally different parts.
Speaker 1: Of the world.
Speaker 3: They didn't have a mobile phone, there was no Snapchat or Twitter or whatever it's called these days to share information that's fascinating and Buddhism and the evolution of that as well. So there's multiple tribes and cultures that you know, a couple of thousand years ago were looking at this notion of being still and being present and haaps men, women, athletes, corporate athletes, everyone in between.
Speaker 1: I'm really bringing.
Speaker 3: A lot more around that mindfulness and that ability to be present in the moment without judgment.
Speaker 1: Good a team. I'm going to interrupt myself and Tiff and Andrew there. This went for quite a while less chat an hour and a half or so, so we're going to break there. We'll call that the end of part one, and we'll see you tomorrow