Speaker 1: Our next guest has been doing the same gig for twenty years. He clocks up the special anniversary this week, and he's joining us via FaceTime. Here he is hello, Oh there he is com Hey, mister Stefanovak.
Speaker 2: Just came out of the loop.
Speaker 3: We called you at a bad time.
Speaker 4: Did we just try it?
Speaker 2: You catch up on everything? You know how it is then the breakfast shift.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Carl, week for you.
Speaker 1: If you don't get canceled within the next twenty four hours, you're going to make twenty years.
Speaker 4: My friend, well, I don't know how.
Speaker 5: I haven't got canceled before. And now, as you guys know, it's like yourselves. I did have a course. I was canceled for a year, but.
Speaker 6: Oh you did. I've known many people make the comeback, do they?
Speaker 1: I've been my relationship for about twenty years, Carl. We called it the quarter life crisis when the missus and I had the break So that was your little the midlife crisis of the Today Show. Let's refer to it as that.
Speaker 2: All right.
Speaker 5: It wasn't going to go first on this interview, but if you're happy to, that's fine.
Speaker 2: Matter it all started. I had a great time.
Speaker 5: I got to go and travel around with my wife, and you know, it was if you're going to have a year off, it may as well be you know, overseas.
Speaker 6: And yeah, it was quite good timing for you to get that year off. You've got like an extended honeymoon.
Speaker 3: That's a dream.
Speaker 4: What are you doing to celebrate twenty years?
Speaker 2: Well? I was talking about this the other day and I don't think there's much planned.
Speaker 5: I mean channel lines, we're going through, you know, some budget cards. This is why we can't afford Clint on the Today Show.
Speaker 6: I was about to say, can you get your hands off our man, Carl.
Speaker 2: No, I'm pursuing him with great gust.
Speaker 5: As you know, I've tagging upon myself to he's the only person I've ever mentored at the nine network.
Speaker 4: And look at how that's turned out. He's got there.
Speaker 2: No, they're all lining up to be mentored by me.
Speaker 4: Absolutely.
Speaker 2: What would you say is the single greatest thing you've learned from me?
Speaker 4: Oh, there's a few, there's a few.
Speaker 2: There was.
Speaker 5: There was a log years after party in in your room at.
Speaker 4: Crowd which I really thoroughly enjoyed.
Speaker 3: I popped into one of them.
Speaker 4: Might as well, Yes, well.
Speaker 5: And the thing is, I think the great thing about when you mentor someone and they not only equal you to go better than you is when I saw you guys are gathered around last time, and boy, I mean that night for Clint when he was on that that little popper and then he was on a scooter, you know, and.
Speaker 2: He got lost, he got locked up.
Speaker 5: I mean, this is all stuff that I would never have done.
Speaker 3: He's hoping to get the year off.
Speaker 1: Carlos was leaving, leaving Adelaide after gather around, and there's Clinton carl sitting there, both outside the lounge because they couldn't get in, both just in the food court, sitting in the chairs, looking so somber.
Speaker 6: They was so hungover and you couldn't get into the lounge.
Speaker 3: I think we saw you sitting on the floor at one point.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I was like, there it is in all of glory, that's the future.
Speaker 5: In good Well, the thing is we get that we unfortunately we get breathalyzed, the only people in the world to get breath liized before we go into a loud as part of the rich tapestry of being in the relationship that we're in. But hopefully he'll I think we've still got some time to get Clint on board.
Speaker 3: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: I think you and I are going to have to have an actual fight over him.
Speaker 2: I know, well, I'm happy to do Actually, why don't we do that.
Speaker 4: Where and when? I'm happy for you to take him and I'll throw in Lauren.
Speaker 3: That's because he wants Sarah Arbo. He's trying to try.
Speaker 2: It's smart.
Speaker 5: What about I mean, we could do one of those jelly wrestling. Can they do that these days?
Speaker 3: I don't care, but I'll fight you anyway for Clint.
Speaker 6: Let my hands of him, get your hands on a huge was just the fiftieth as well, fifty Look at Hill recovering from you. So if you didn't have the year off, your twenty years and your fifty years would aligned now.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I know you've got to You've got a printing things together with as you guys know. Look, I know I've known you guys for a long long time and and no one hits it harder in breakfast than all four of us.
Speaker 2: So it's a miracle.
Speaker 5: It's a miracle too, you know, to be still part of this, and it's a it's a lovely thing to wake up in the morning, as you noted, to go to your listeners and for me to go to my viewers is a real privilege. So long may it continue.
Speaker 2: I say, we've.
Speaker 1: Got you quite close up on facetom. You're looking good. Is someone going to Turkey recently? How's the how's the top?
Speaker 5: That's all fake? They're just put this wedget in there at night. It's Ray Martin's. I've got a few of them here.
Speaker 4: Actually, can you just leave them for me on a weekend. We do share a dressing room.
Speaker 2: I need it, mate, look it, just take your shirt off for me.
Speaker 1: Give you speaking out Speaking of photo shoots, stella paddling around in the water there and your suit big fella. Yeah, front page of Stellar mag is coming out of the ocean and a suit man.
Speaker 4: The man.
Speaker 5: Well, you know, I obviously take a great delight and checking these things out before.
Speaker 2: I do them a metatorial approval.
Speaker 5: They said, met at Maruba Beach, and I met it there and then I was coming out of the ocean.
Speaker 2: It's a beautiful thing. You know.
Speaker 5: You've just got to You've got to get into character when you're doing these things.
Speaker 3: It's very Hailey Berry and James bond, So this.
Speaker 1: Isn't a green screen job. Actually put you in the ocean in a suit strides.
Speaker 5: Now it's all about the cutbacks. We don't have green screens here anymore.
Speaker 1: I loved seeing the locals of Maruba beach going look at this guy has been on a again.
Speaker 4: Cooked.
Speaker 2: These these kids were going fast. Hey Steph a your wanker. No one goes in the water with a suit on your wanker.
Speaker 5: Anyway, it was it was an invaluable experience me reconnecting with my roots in Marubra.
Speaker 4: Do you often get that support when you're out and about.
Speaker 5: Car a lot of it when I'm leaving leave the race trackers, Clip would know only too well. It's generally, Hey Carlos, Coushie, you're a waker.
Speaker 2: There's a lot of wanker star Hey Steven O Dick.
Speaker 5: You know it's a beautiful I love leaving the race trail.
Speaker 3: It's fun.
Speaker 6: Hey Carlos, who's the worst person you've interviewed in twenty years?
Speaker 5: I think Julia Robinson. It's a bit shocking, really, yeah, but it was. Look apparently it was just a bad film. This moment List, which I never watched. Have you watched the film. I said yes, and she goes what happened in the first time? I said, well, no, no, no, who didn't watch it? And so she was just frightfully bad. But I think the bad day and the bad film. So but that's always the one I say is that is the worst experience I've had on air?
Speaker 3: And who's your favorite to interview? Who's been nice?
Speaker 2: I think you guys. You guys are right up there the commitment.
Speaker 5: How you guys have crossed over face of sheer adversity and cut back from it. That's a great Australian story and a great media story. I'm looking forward to going to the ABC and replacing Michael Rowland having a similar effect on the order.
Speaker 1: Trust him to relate to us getting fired. Hey Carl, congratulations mate. Twenty years is huge in this industry and in a job like that. Well, mate, we couldn't remember the Morning TV without you.
Speaker 2: I love you. I see it Karaoke and Melbourne and we'll have that fight there.
Speaker 4: Bring it on and I love you mate. You've done a lot for me personally and professionally, So thank you, mate.
Speaker 2: Take your shirt off, give the people what they want. I'll do it.
Speaker 4: In our dressing room, just you and me. Do right.
Speaker 2: I'll take the hair off for a second.
Speaker 4: Lauren Lauren wake Up.
Speaker 3: Feeling Good on number one hundred. Lauren on Socials