Speaker 1: Hello Telegraphing podcast on Brent Reed, joined by Pam Whalley. If Tim we could do? How are we today?
Speaker 2: It was a good weekend of footing.
Speaker 3: It was Yeah, I'm excited for this Week's such a huge week.
Speaker 1: It's a huge, but it's got a huge It starts off for the bang with Nelson's saper Solomon and the judiciary. Tonight he was charged with a grade three carel so I tackled for that shot on Lindsay Collins on Friday Night. Do we give him a hope? To give Nelson a hope, he's got to get a double downgrade, which is basically unheard of. I think it's happened. Maybe once he's got to get down to a grade one. Will you watch it here? What do you think?
Speaker 3: I think, no hope. I think they've got to try. But I think that's a real long shot.
Speaker 4: I think they'll get to a downgrade, but then they get a double down grade. So it's a fine with early plea. I don't know whether that will happen. Look, I still believe if you do the crime, do the time. Like I hate this this idea, this chat about Oh it's the Grand Final shouldn't miss a Grand Final and his work so hard. Yeah he has, but he's also this is the third time he's been charged with a careless high tackle this year, so he knew he had a rap sheet.
Speaker 2: And he hit him in the head.
Speaker 1: The role has changed the rules to around finals instead of origin to lessen the impact. I actually think he's a chance, you know, because he got a great one earlier this year. I think for that the one where he cleaned up. But come he who cleaned up? He cleaned up monster in the process, one of his teammates, and I actually think that one must work like there's no I don't think there's a swinging arm in this one. I think this is just Nelson because he's.
Speaker 2: So tall that just like dropping his shoulder.
Speaker 1: And I don't even think he's dropped his shoulder. I think he's up he's upright because he's so tall, and Lindy's a big guy as well. But there's no end of a swinging arm there. I actually think he's an outside hope here.
Speaker 2: But there's a look I might get a down grad.
Speaker 1: Three is ridiculous.
Speaker 4: Well for stars, I think he's a chance of getting a downgrade. But whether whether it's downgraded to the point where he's free to play in the Grand Final, I don't know.
Speaker 2: And again, he does have priors.
Speaker 4: So that's why he ended up with the charge that he did, because it was his third and subsequent offense this year. And when you actually think about, you know, because there has been a lot of head high contact this year. There hasn't been a lot of careless tackles on itself, but itself, it's probably not that it's nowhere near the worst one we've seen. There haven't been that many players who have been slapped with a fine that big. But the reason why he is at this point is because of his priors.
Speaker 1: I reckon he's got a hope. I think they're an outside chance. They've got the great nick bar representing him.
Speaker 2: He hasn't had.
Speaker 1: Again.
Speaker 2: No look, yeah, I.
Speaker 3: Look at that and I think, yeah, but maybe not a grade three.
Speaker 2: I think you're there.
Speaker 1: Why is with it is? I think Nelson's a bit of a victim of his own, like he's not the victim obviously that's because Lindsay got n I don't think he's lead with the shoulder. I don't think, as I said, I don't think there's a swinging arm in it. I just think he's upright and Linda's sort of breaks for the contact and drop his head a little bit, and that's why it's contact with the shoulder.
Speaker 2: And you've seen a lot of that.
Speaker 4: Right, we've been upright where the target hasn't been, you know, maybe where it should be. And yes, it is harder for somebody like Nelson who's six six, But at the same time, too, he knows he's sixty six, so there's got to be at least some onus, on him and every other defender to make sure that their target zone is where it should be. And yeah, this is the second week in a row where we've had this happen from a kickoff. And I don't know whether there is a debate to be had about how we deal with the kickoff. I don't know if it will solve solve that problem, get rid of them. I don't believe that, Like you're a big NFL fans that actually used the kickoffs, I don't think it'll work.
Speaker 2: I probably couldn't have something similar.
Speaker 1: No, I think it's I think it's almost a frail or complete. It will happen eventually. They're just seeing with and I don't want it to change either, but I think it's just the world we live in.
Speaker 3: It.
Speaker 1: At some point soon in coming years, the kickoff as we know it will change because we've just seen too much of this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's such a that makes me sad, and like, you understand why, but it's such a.
Speaker 1: But you know what, the game moves on. We got rid of the show of the charge was punching. We basically got with the scrums like life moves on. So you know, we'll miss it initially, I reckon, but we'll live to accept it. And eventually there'll be a generation of people who won't even remember kickoffs.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: It's like there's almost a generation now that don't remember punching in the game. It only happened.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'm already saying back in my day.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, we're getting old.
Speaker 4: We're getting old, and maybe it's not a matter of getting rid of the kickoff.
Speaker 2: Maybe it's a matter of maybe just changing that pressure.
Speaker 4: Not even you know a lot of these incidents happened when there's three players in the tackle, so maybe it's.
Speaker 2: On a kickoff.
Speaker 4: Maybe you know it's only two players you're allowed, and that third is kind of the one that wrestles to the ground rather than going in for the big impact hit.
Speaker 2: I don't know.
Speaker 4: I do think we'll get we'll see a variation. Whether they rub it out completely, I'm not sure.
Speaker 1: Now. What about this game, the Storm were ridiculously good again and their spine we're outstanding. Pappenhaus and Harry Jerome and Cam Munster were just ridiculously good in this game.
Speaker 2: I love them.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're so good.
Speaker 3: They're so good, and I just think they're also really likable as well. I don't know if you guys. Do you guys listen to their podcast too. I hate to plug another podcast, but.
Speaker 2: I love it.
Speaker 1: It's a computation.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they're really funny, Like they just they're very like they have intelligent conversations. They have great interviews. Yeah, they're really good. And then so between them seven.
Speaker 2: Tries yeh, triszy.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so they played a different speed. Like the thing I noticed about them, they played a different speed to everyone else, Like when they get gone, when they get a roll on, they're so everything happened.
Speaker 2: So quickly, and they just look like they're just having fun. They really are.
Speaker 3: They look like they're those kids in you know, under twelves and you just give them the ball and they're like the standout kids on the field and they're just having a great time.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny to say that because that's how people would describe Penrith at the peak of their powers, definitely loving and enjoining their footy. What really impressed me about the four on the weekend was the week in Week one, people saying, you know, Harry absolutely killed that Droone was good munster, like ran the house down, but Papenhausen was a little bit quiet, and then he was just monumental in this game. So yeah, when you look at that, I mean, and we've spoken a little bit about it off air about you know, how have sort of built this team and it's around those four big guys, and it's going to be those guys if they're going to win on Sunday. You would think that the Spines will decide who wins on Sunday.
Speaker 1: It's great story Paps because obviously Papinas he has had that serious injury problems over the years and he's strung some games to this year we've seen the best of him again. He's a great story. They've got you know, he's he's such a good bloke, such.
Speaker 2: A nice siding.
Speaker 1: Yeah to watch.
Speaker 4: So yeah, all those guys have come to form at the best at the best time.
Speaker 2: Cam Munster.
Speaker 4: You know, at one point even Braith and Asta said that he reckons will probably play eighty percent fitness for the rest of the year. It doesn't look like it looks like he's one hundred percent fit. So all the at the end of the day, you do need your best players on the field at the right time, and the stars feel like they're aligning a bit for Melbourne and Craig Bellamy.
Speaker 1: Speaking of Cameron Monster after the game, and there was a point this year where he thought by his season was over. I think it was against was against Paramattery. It was a combat because I was sidlent for it. He looked as he ripped his groin and we all thought, well, that's the end for him. I mean, he had obviously need some hip surgery at the end of the year. But man, when he runs the ball and he is just focused on running the ball is such a handful.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: His eyes are up, his chest is forward, he's just doing whatever kind of comes through his mind in that crazy brain of his and it just works.
Speaker 1: He's a crazy brain. Yeah, where do you think maybe Penrith can get at them an area you think that maybe the storm vulnerable perabs.
Speaker 2: Honestly after that game.
Speaker 4: Between the two Grand finalists, and I know, I think they're you know, equal odds with the betting agencies. The fans can't separate them. But if you're going on form from the last game, it's probably Melbourne And I can't really think of where there might be a chink in there arm at the moment.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think people thought the cheek might be in the middle of the field, right, but they're middle.
Speaker 4: Of maybe a bit with Nelson, especially that second phase play which he was really which really helped to go forward against the Roosters, Well that would be you know, if he's not there, that would probably be a weakness.
Speaker 1: We should touch on the Roosters before we move on to Penrith. But how do you look at this another disappointment, disappointing season. How do you view it?
Speaker 3: I feel like this is no I feel like they've achieved quite a lot this year, considering the you know, the number of injuries and things like that that they had.
Speaker 2: I think they gave it.
Speaker 3: I think they achieved probably about where they should have this year.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what do you guys think?
Speaker 4: I mean, yeah, I think that's fair, you know, a top four finish. I think it didn't help that obviously, Sam walkin Braden Smith whether I think that probably would have given them a bit of an edge.
Speaker 2: In the finals.
Speaker 4: But I also think there is still a gap between you know, the two horse race between you know, Melbourne and Penrish and the Roosters and Cronola.
Speaker 2: So I'm with Pam.
Speaker 4: I don't necessarily, I mean, they would be disappointed, but I don't think they necessarily had a disappointing season.
Speaker 2: I mean, were eighty minutes.
Speaker 4: From a Grand Final after losing you know, Brandon Smith and Sam Walker on the eve of the final series.
Speaker 1: History suggests though that they're miles behind Penrith and Melbourne.
Speaker 2: The last There's a lot of teams that a.
Speaker 1: Last twenty two gap, but the public that.
Speaker 2: Has in terms of yes, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: And I would think they're they're miles off catching those two at the moment. And then you consider they lose Kiri Hargraves Manu Suwa Lee at the end of the.
Speaker 2: Year, but then Sam Walker's out for he went back till June July.
Speaker 1: He told us we swim out the game. He said, hopefully be back by June. Brandon won't be back to Lena either. They're going to start next year. They're going to have to. It's gonna be They're gonna have to. The expectation will be that they start well, but it's going to be hard. Robber is gonna have to catch your socks off to do.
Speaker 3: We say the word the rebuild. They like them, don't know, they don't, but the.
Speaker 1: Cash it's like Jason Paramount, it's not a rebuild, it's a reset.
Speaker 2: What's the difference?
Speaker 1: They reset, you don't rebuild your reset.
Speaker 4: But that's still a massive resting the I T guys tell you to do when something's.
Speaker 1: Going wrong exactly. You see them next year being a threat the Roosters.
Speaker 4: Even even with Walker and Smith being out for long periods. And yes they have it's the experience void that they leave, right, They've bottil of experience. But you think about the guys that are still their Tedesco, Crichton, Victor Radley, they still had a pretty decent four pack even with your hard graves gone. So they've got some of the pieces of the puzzle, but they've definitely lost an edge.
Speaker 2: I mean Mark comes in.
Speaker 4: When you play, you do Chad Townsend coming in the question Mark is a starting halves pairing between sand and Smith and Chad town that's going to be enough to carry them to June July, where the season might be.
Speaker 1: Well, that's that's a huge worry for them because, I mean, Chad was dropped a reserve great up in Townsville at the end of the year. They have to rely on him till potentially June and sand and they had a good game last week, but on the weekend again he battled a bit. So that's the concern for them.
Speaker 3: I think do they have enough class I think to be able to, you know, to not write them off completely.
Speaker 2: But do they go to market?
Speaker 3: Is there anyone out there that they because this is the club right that can just pull off.
Speaker 1: Everyone's waiting for them to sign someone. Yeah, But talking to people there who make those decisions, I don't think there's any intention to sign anyone at the moment.
Speaker 2: Is that what they're.
Speaker 4: So I have spoken to different play agents just in the course of as and there are rumblings that there have been player agents that have been pushing, particularly halves to them, so whether and the response from the Roosters has been we're just sort of waiting. It's a matter of how how long do they wait.
Speaker 1: They've been pretty public though, they're going to go with Walker and sand and Smith, very public about that. So if they then turn around and.
Speaker 2: Sign, they'd be looking.
Speaker 4: I mean something that's sort of a stop gap, but I don't necessarily mean exactly. I don't necessarily mean something that's going to come in there.
Speaker 1: They've got Chad, They've signed Chad to fill that role. Then you go on, Ben Hunt's going to cross sh eate eight nine hundred thousand dollars because that's what he's on with the Dragons. I'm sure sure the Dragons aren't going to chuck in four under Green for Ben Hunt to go and play elsewhere because you know, and I think Ben hump. The only way Ben Hunt will leave the Dragons is if he gets another year. On top of that, the Roosters aren't going to give him another year. So I don't see that. I don't see that happening. It's interesting, I mean.
Speaker 4: He's Yeah, if you're looking at the kind of players that they could be looking at ben Hunt is an option, but whether that actually eventuates I don't think.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and it would depend whether or not.
Speaker 3: I think if they thought that they could win a premiership next year, if they thought that they could and they had all of the rest of the bones around it and they just needed that one, you know, experienced half back, then maybe they would.
Speaker 1: I'll tell you he doesn't need a halfback Penrith because there half back's a pretty good player. He was unbelievable again on Saturday night. So good, so good.
Speaker 4: I don't think I remember a player who's come back from quite injuries that can play with you mentally like hamstrings like a dislocate each other or or the rest of it, and just come back like he hasn't even missed a game.
Speaker 2: Yeah. It's incredible mental string. Yeah.
Speaker 4: And it's the confidence that he's got in his game. You know, you just watched him play and Penrith were actually.
Speaker 1: Such a decisive moment.
Speaker 4: It was very similar to the charge in the ground final when you kicked that footy twenty They were on the back foot and then all of a sudden he pretty much single handedly won them the game. And it was a bit like that on the weekend. Penro threw a little bit off in this game, and I think.
Speaker 1: They were almost there for the taking.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, absolutely. I think the weather maybe played it a little bit to do with it. But there were moments there were balls were going.
Speaker 2: To the ground. They looked a little looked a little bit disjointed, and I hung, oh, that's interesting. I don't know.
Speaker 4: Sometimes they can be guilty of chasing the scoreboard a little bit for a team that is such a well oiled machine and in the past hasn't panicked. I feel like there were elements of just trying too hard in this game, but you can never count them out when you've got anything cleary in that.
Speaker 1: It just doesn't take the wrong option.
Speaker 3: The clarity that he plays with is I think that's his biggest asset. That's what sets him apart, is just how he just makes the right choice no matter what's going on.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And it must be so demoralizing to the other team when switch flicks in him and he does something like he now is that forty twenty and you know he's about to carry the team home, like when you're the opposition, And I think that's sort of you know, you sort of that's yeah. Their shoulders go down a little bit after that, So yeah, could.
Speaker 3: You not how could you see that happen and just and be like yeah, anything other than oh god, here we go again.
Speaker 1: Yeah yeah, yeah, and well, I mean we just saw Jerome Leua then the screen. He's been ridiculous, ridiculously good this season as well. Jerime his last game for the club this weekend. He's been a penus since he was could walk, basically local junior. Yeah, local junior. It's a huge not for him. And we know Jerime he's a pretty emotional sort of guy. He became monster over the years. Have had their battles, some great battles, some very prickly battles. But he's been great, hasn't he.
Speaker 4: Yeah, And that's the thing. Not only has you know, Nathan been great, Lui has been good as their backup half back as well. So yeah, he's been good. He's probably had one of his it's hard to say one of his better season. He's a three time he's a three time premiership winning five eight but he has absolutely been in great form. And they've got a number of players in that side that I think I've gone under the radar a little bit this year, like Brian Toe, who have been.
Speaker 1: Been great tie so again, never was a bad game, Brian Tye. Yeah, still defies belief for me that like that's short doesn't get exploited more under the high ball.
Speaker 4: Well he's yeah, I mean, yeah, he does get out leaped, but he's always competing.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I suppose opposition don't get down there end very often. Yeah, what about the sharkis I mean they were plucky in this game, right, They showed a bit of conviction and courage, but they just lacked a bit of I don't know, just a little bit of class maybe.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they it was they showed a bit of fight here obviously to try and make it a little bit like.
Speaker 2: It was still a good game.
Speaker 3: I think that they Yeah, they just kind of run out of steam and it was that mental edge that Penrith have, right, Yeah, that just takes so much time to be able to build that up, to maintain that confidence.
Speaker 1: Adam Blake next year, he's a very very very good football. But is that enough do you think to transform them into genuine contenders?
Speaker 3: I think so, yeah, I think yeah, I think it Like what FITZI was saying, in the post match like they've been building your on ear and they're taking their lessons and they're learning a little bit, learning a little bit.
Speaker 2: So yeah, I think he'll be massive for them next year.
Speaker 4: I think so, And I think he's probably you know, you spoke about missing pieces, he's probably the missing piece in the forward pack. But also to I mean, they are a pretty well balanced footy team. The big question for FITZI is what he does with Niko Heinz next year.
Speaker 2: You look at their back five.
Speaker 4: They sometimes produce the kind of numbers that Panis back five produce, and they have sort of a similar style of game in that they really use their back five to set up you know, the start of their sets and the rest of it. People say their team lacks star power, maybe some bit of X factor, but you know, you look at guys like Rinaldo Molitalo, Jesse Ramian, I mean, you know.
Speaker 1: I The issue there though, is the star power is in the right positions, Like you compare their spine.
Speaker 2: With Melbourne or so, where do they need star power?
Speaker 1: Well, they need Nico to play better. They start, They've got the start. He's a star, he's paid like a star. But again I thought he was quiet the other night. Braidon Trindle was. They did a great job on Braiden Trindle. Blake Brow is a really good footballer, right, and Kennedy is a good footballer as well. But they just they just need to be better, all of them, all four of them basically need to be better because you know, the great teams have great spines. Like we talked about Melbourn spine. They just controlled that game. Cleary control games on his own with Dylan Edwards. They don't. Their players don't at the moment. They don't do that and that's that's for me. Potentially the players are there, they just need to get be better. Yeah, and they've shown they can be better. Like we've seen Nicko's on a dalim, he's been unbelievable. His best maybe in off seasons. The best thing for Nicko he gets away and rediscovers who he can, you know, his best football. We've seen Trindle could be a really good player. So they've got they've got potentially the players there, but they just need to be better.
Speaker 4: So obviously they went with it. Even though Nico still wore the number seven, they sort of Trindle was playing that seven and Nico was sort of, you know, trying to be the ballplayer running the football, so they you know, that got them into the third week of the Grand Final, but it just wasn't enough to get them off.
Speaker 1: Again that the finals showed their miles off the top two then Miles Born and Melbourne smashed him in Melbourne. Yeah, it was a carve up and Penwith never looked like they were going to lose that game the other night thing even though the k were in the game Melbourne penwy.
Speaker 2: Edge instinct. But would you move Niko Heins to fullback.
Speaker 1: I wouldn't move him. I wouldn't move I just I just like he won a Deli m plan there. You just got to you just gotta Niko. You just got to get the best out of Nico again. If you can do that, then there are different footing Blake and five already exactly.
Speaker 3: If they have Trindle playing as well as he did at the back end of the year to start next year, then I think that's the key, right That just that's the halves combination, and that's kind of the big because I don't think it's a coincidence that we have the two best spines in the competition now in the Grand Final.
Speaker 1: Now what about it?
Speaker 2: Also rest in the game.
Speaker 1: The Dems are on this week and look this, Jerome Hughes is the favorite for it, right, So he's an unbelievable year. This year, Jerome, he's probably he's been the best player in the comp Has he gone past Nathan? Is he any o? The best player in the game?
Speaker 2: Crazy?
Speaker 1: That's in the game.
Speaker 2: If you were ranking the best.
Speaker 4: Players, has done that number one, Thank you very much.
Speaker 2: I think that's a bit of recentcy bias there.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I don't think so. No way, it's fair.
Speaker 2: To say that he's.
Speaker 4: The best player of twenty four.
Speaker 2: But he has been clearly was not missing.
Speaker 4: We're talking about a halfback who's already run three Premierships, a good chance of leading them to four, is arguably the most influential player in a side and has been for the last you know, five years.
Speaker 1: Would you say Jerome drawn alongside him?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 4: If if Storm win on the weekend, then he can be in that conversation until then, Like, please, come on, how can you say that the half back that's about to create, potentially create history isn't the best player in the game.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm saying but I'm just saying, based on this year, I think Jeromes is equal. I'm not. I'm not going to clear what about that four years. Has been a pretty good player for a long time, but he had.
Speaker 2: He's not a three time premiership winner.
Speaker 1: But he's wont to camp. He was there, wasn't he not? I can't remember in twenty Yeah, he was there. So he's wont to camp if he wins another one this year, that's too. That's I just said. I'm based on.
Speaker 4: This year, I think he's you know, he's been the most He has been the most dominant player this year in the team that's been the.
Speaker 2: Most dominant this year.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so I think that's fair to say he's overtaken Nathank Cleary.
Speaker 1: No, I'm saying he's a hard thing as well's side him. I'm not saying he's overtaken him.
Speaker 2: Yet you're walking that back.
Speaker 1: You said been the best player this year. Yes, but I think he's doorn alongside Nathan in terms of the best player in the game. Based on what he's done this year. I think he's been ridiculous that Jerome.
Speaker 2: Hughes also he has that.
Speaker 3: This is what happens sometimes with you know New Zealand players is they don't play Origin, right, they don't.
Speaker 2: Have that extra level of accolades to.
Speaker 1: Add it hasn't really owned Origin. That's the one thing he.
Speaker 2: Hasn't had, is the one that's true. Yeah, I will give you, but it's the one. But you can see that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they don't have that extra Yeah, that extra kind of tick on their.
Speaker 1: Region has been great for the Kiwi's too.
Speaker 2: Durant of course, Yeah, he's been incredible, but.
Speaker 1: You know, I think he's going to clearly well Teddy might push him for the Deli in with a.
Speaker 4: Voting give one okay, okay, so so just so when voting closed, Edwards was on thirty one points, Heines.
Speaker 2: Was on thirty.
Speaker 1: Hughs wasn't even there was he Yeah.
Speaker 4: Dali chrey Evans was in twenty seven, you're twenty four, Tedesco twenty three. Yeah, but with that period where he was just killing it and Munster is out of the team, and assuming he would have polled quite highly in.
Speaker 2: Those in those.
Speaker 1: Games, the issue was to Desco.
Speaker 2: But Tedsco. I think also when.
Speaker 1: And Jerome set out the penultimate round, if you're a memory, he got rested and I spoke to Craig about that, and Craig Bellamy said, I was really worried at my costume at dealy Am. He thought Jerome had come up to him and say, mate, play me. I want to win the daim But he never did. But it might that might come back and haunt him.
Speaker 4: Speaking of Cleariot, has there been a more dominant player for so long that hasn't wonted Dalim?
Speaker 1: I can't remember all the history of the Dalim's, but you're right.
Speaker 3: Everyone, it's another one of those things that he just hasn't achieved.
Speaker 2: But I just wanted to ask you this.
Speaker 3: So, say you were starting your team tomorrow, who's your half back?
Speaker 1: Have you've got to He's younger than him too, the memory thinking back to their age and Jerome's a bit older.
Speaker 2: Than who's achieved more in last time. It's incredible has achieved consider.
Speaker 1: He's on his way to becoming an imortal Nathan clear and he's any doubt about that. Yeah, I'm just saying right now, yeah, right now, Jerome's playing as well, if not better than him.
Speaker 2: Jerome's twenty nine, Yeah, and so you.
Speaker 1: Know achieved a fair bit as well.
Speaker 2: He certainly has Yeah.
Speaker 1: Absolutely, anyway, that's a debate from that's an interesting debate. I'm sure. I'm sure I'm in the minority when I say that, I think Jerome's drawn alongsiding.
Speaker 4: Well, there's a good chance by the end, by next Monday, he's won the Dam. You'll be with me and he's you know, a Tea Time Premiership went I yeah, and the.
Speaker 2: Club Churchill Medalist. Potentially he would be one of the favorites for that as well.
Speaker 1: They're equal foot in the equal okay, I think that pushing past.
Speaker 2: Him the Dam or the title both.
Speaker 1: Both the wins them both and a Club Churchill.
Speaker 3: I think it's taken some time for Nathan Cleary to go past or to be considered in the same conversation as like Andrew Johns and Jonathan Thurston as you know, one of the best players of all time, you know, if not the best half back of all time. I think he's gone past that. I think he with everything that he's achieved it such a young age, I think he is going to be considered one of the best players of all time for sure.
Speaker 2: So I think it's going to take a long time. In the press a little bit, it's going to take.
Speaker 1: At five years time. We're talking now. I'm saying, right now, Jerome I think has gone past him in terms of the best player in the game.
Speaker 2: I still don't agree he's not in twenty twenty.
Speaker 1: Well, this year I think he's been. He's been better than Nathan this year because Nathan's missed a lot of footing and Jerome's been unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but Nathan's been unbelievable and just about.
Speaker 1: Okay, that's fairy nothing. Buzzes buzzes with me. That's the best the game, the great buzz Woods. Your coach of the year. It's got to be Craig, doesn't it? Surely is it?
Speaker 2: Does it?
Speaker 1: Who do you think maybe st won there in the premiership?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: I think it's Craig, But also has Ivan Cleary. What's his starts like? As the coach of the year twice, But.
Speaker 1: He's never He's never never won any year where he's won the premier ship premiership.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that is insane.
Speaker 4: Yeah, so if you're Ivan, you're probably think.
Speaker 2: Three premierships in a row, aiming for a fourth.
Speaker 1: I think Andrew Webster one one, Toddy Payton, yeah, and maybe maybe Craig when the other one twenty one maybe yeah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, was that the year he wore the funky He's got a couple of he's going to be up here.
Speaker 3: Back to the twenty twenty Delhiam So we were outside of the Fox Sports building.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that was COVID, that was Jack Whiton. That was wow. Let me have a look at Captain the Year.
Speaker 1: What do you think in there? Yeah? Maybe Nathan Cleary.
Speaker 4: The nominees are so that's Cheeve Crichton, Isaiao and.
Speaker 1: Cam Murrayton's got to win. That got to win.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think I think Crichton.
Speaker 4: I think at such a young age at a club that is a resetting started there, resent rebooting after the recent he's been incredible.
Speaker 1: Who's the Rookie of the Year.
Speaker 4: The nominees are Ethan Strange, Jack Bostock and Kyle Hero.
Speaker 1: What do you got there?
Speaker 2: It's don't you think that's an interesting.
Speaker 1: I think Strange.
Speaker 3: I'm going Strange because I said him at the start of the year. So I'm pretty proud of that.
Speaker 1: The game drop dropped off a bit and everyone.
Speaker 2: Do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Yeah, he stop was probably the most.
Speaker 4: Consistent mirrored that. Bostock was the most consistent. Era has been pretty good.
Speaker 1: Can that I need to change that? The rules around that?
Speaker 3: What was the rules two weeks got you?
Speaker 2: But that's across the board, right, It's.
Speaker 1: Just well, the top two candidates were him, I reckon him and Max Plath and they're both.
Speaker 2: I'm going to tell you.
Speaker 3: So there's a little bit of controversy in the n L w over the Rookie of the Year as well. So the I thought ry Owen. So she plays for Paramatta, she's center for Paramatta.
Speaker 2: She was fate.
Speaker 3: She won the r p A Rookie of the Year, but the n L rules stay that because she hadn't played rugby league for two years prior to coming into the game, she's ineligible really, so it rules out the like the rugby sevens girls who have like come across, So like Stacy Waker at the Bronco, she can't win it for yeah, So it's good.
Speaker 2: You've got to be in like a year.
Speaker 1: It's very controversial.
Speaker 2: It's very controversial. I'm just looking at some.
Speaker 4: Praig Bellamy, I've in cleary stats that are fear listening at a mobs has just sent us.
Speaker 2: So we've been on air.
Speaker 4: So so mate. Okay, So Bellamy has made twenty one finals. I've been clearly ten.
Speaker 1: That's twenty one in twenty two ys or twenty three is the twenty.
Speaker 4: Two twenty so for the one Minister was a cap year. Yeah, Bellamy's coach for twenty two seasons. I've been Cleary for eighteen. I didn't realize it's that many around.
Speaker 2: Okay.
Speaker 4: Total final wins fifty two for Bellamy, twenty tier seven for Ivan Cleary, total wins thirty three for Craig Bellamy, eighteen for Ivan Cleary. But finals win percentage. Ivan Cleary has a better finals really than seven. Craig is well three points?
Speaker 1: Are you suggesting Ivan's gone past Craig?
Speaker 2: No, Craig has.
Speaker 4: Craig has six title wins with an asterisk? Does that that's you?
Speaker 2: We know that?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, ive and three without.
Speaker 1: An ASTERIXK Yeah, I think I think I know that.
Speaker 2: I think about it.
Speaker 4: Actually, I think maybe I got a bit carried with the Canterbury fairy tale saying. And so Rada has an incredible job with Canaby this year, no doubt. But yeah, it probably goes between Ivan Cleary and Craig bell.
Speaker 1: Craig's made ten Grand finals two and twenty two years now. It's insane. It makes a Grand final every second every second year, crazy, crazy record. He's an unbelievable coach, he really is. I Mean, the question isn't whether Ivan's caught. The questions were the craze gone past Wayne? That's the question.
Speaker 2: That's the big one, isn't it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, because if Wayne is now in, you know he's a Hall of Famer.
Speaker 1: Yep. Well, Craig will be there one day, no doubt about that. Typically he's wearing those funky suits to the Delians on the sideline yesterday.
Speaker 2: So how did you did you enjoy yourself? Yeah?
Speaker 1: The russ were very good.
Speaker 2: It was very good.
Speaker 3: So the the Yeah, the Isabel Kelly, so she's Rooster's captain, played with unbelievable toughness. So she played with a she just located her elbow seven days ago and played with this super heavy strapping. Still managed to run the most meters of anyone on the field. Yeah, and she was taken off with about twenty minutes to go to preserve her for next week. But just incredible toughness. She plays through injury all the time. That should be you know, season ending or unbelievable, but the rus just waiting was very good. Yeah, and Sammy Bremner so good with she So Taran has just come back off. She had two weeks off with her ac joint injury, so she's been off for two weeks, came back and played like that.
Speaker 1: Was there ac joint go again? Was that victor the ac joint problem? Tommy?
Speaker 3: Yeah, So I think she wanted to and they had to hold her back from from playing, but she did a really good job.
Speaker 2: And then sam Bremna, Well that's not a good moment for the but.
Speaker 3: She scored a double in this and this is her last season. She's kind of come back this year just as a bit of a favor to them because they lost their fullback at the side of.
Speaker 1: The year to a a cl of course step before the game, because I did a little bit of research because I profess she scored three tries I think in an url W career. Yeah, and she's scored four in the last two weeks. This is totally scored three tries. What's doing because.
Speaker 3: She was playing when there was yeah, I know, but she was playing when there was three games the season, when it was fourteen and there was only three games a season, so she's really warmed up in the back end of this year because she joined them the week before the competition started. She hadn't done a preseason and she came in and beat everyone in the one point two k time trial.
Speaker 1: I think she had another child and three kids. She said, what's the secret? She said that maybe spending your off season having children.
Speaker 2: No, she's unreal. So this is her last year. This is her last season.
Speaker 3: She doesn't want a premiership yet though, so this is big, big goal for her. And then she's moving into a job at the Dragon. She's head of coaching pathways over there at the Dragons.
Speaker 2: So that'll be big for her.
Speaker 3: And then yeah, Sharks with the massive upset.
Speaker 1: So that was a shock, right it was.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So the Broncos have made the semifinals I think it's the last three years in a row or so yep, and have not been able to get past it and get into the Grand Final. But they were the best. They were the minor premiers obviously, so they were the best this year. But they were just off their game and Cronulla were right into it.
Speaker 2: They just did not let them breathe.
Speaker 1: I saw a game recently the Roosters played Kronola. Didn't've been like they did.
Speaker 2: They did, so I I.
Speaker 1: Hadn't lost the game before they Yeah.
Speaker 3: They were on a six game winning streak and then they Yeah, so they had a six game winning streak and then they were beaten by the Roosters forty nail and then from that they lost their last three games at the back end of the season, but then came back to yeah, beat the Broncos first time. The Broncos have been held to Niel too, so it was a real shock upset this one.
Speaker 1: So who are we thinking?
Speaker 3: I think the Roosters. I mean, I think the Roosters. They were just way too way too good this year. They've got so much class and experience. I think they've got players who have played in Grand finals, won premierships, you know, World Cups.
Speaker 2: The Sharks just have they got some crazy depth.
Speaker 1: I mean Jess Surgiers come off the bench, she.
Speaker 3: Did, yeah, so she spent six weeks out with the m c l wow injury and that was her comeback game yesterday. So yeah, they're just they're really gunning for it this year. I think they'd be so hard to stop. But Chronologists were really ruthless. Actually against the Broncos, they showed so much toughness, So she would be a good Grand final.
Speaker 1: Actually, do you think of the team you've got Roosters? Yeah, that were very good, good side, I think based on what I saw. Yes, so the russ are pretty good. When you've got Jess Surgis coming off the bench, you're going right, aren't you?
Speaker 2: Totally so?
Speaker 1: Yeah? And as I said, they smashed it only a few weeks ago, so I think the Rusters might win something this year. Nick could be happy Uncle Rick. Now, obviously it was a tough weekend for the Broncos. It's been a tough week for the Broncos and the men's team because poor old Kevy got shown the door. It was a little bit less, it was. It was a shock, but obviously they conducted a review after a pretty disappointing season. Whenever there's a review conducted, the alarm bells go off. Were you surprised the way it's ended going?
Speaker 4: I was surprised that it happened so soon, because there was chat that there was going to be sort of this deadline placed on in for next year, but by then it's too late. Right by the time that deadline tics they look at paramatter for an example, this year, like the season's already gone. So for the Broncos, it's a matter of avoiding another disappointing season, and they were disappointing, Like there's yeah, they had injuries, but you know, when you look at how many other good teams suffered through key injuries to key players, it's.
Speaker 2: Not a good enough excuse for a team like the Broncos.
Speaker 4: So from that point of view, I was shocked, but I wasn't, you know, it just felt like they, rather than delaying the inevitable, they said, Okay, let's do this before the preseason even starts, and it's probably the best time to and do it, do you reckon?
Speaker 3: They pounced while they could to be able to try and sound out someone like Michael Maguire, knowing that he probably he's looking for an Nerrol gig He is obviously a fantastic coach, just what he's done with New South Wales this year, just to be able to.
Speaker 2: Get before anyone else does.
Speaker 4: I think the Broncos, right, they're a pretty big club. You know, it's you don't necessarily but you.
Speaker 3: Kind of got a strike though when there's when there's an option there that you feel like might be right, he feels.
Speaker 1: Like a good fit for them to they're already made roster, right manage can just walk in and take charge of a team that's ready.
Speaker 2: To almost what a dream gig for him?
Speaker 1: Oh, he's one of that job for so long.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so long.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he interviewed for it when Kevy got it last time, and he was in the mix the last three So it's a job he's coveted for a long time and he'll get his chance now by the looks of it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the obviously they need again, that's a reset rather than a rebuild, right steal Joseph Roles.
Speaker 4: You know what, if it is one example where you could say it's a reset, it's probably the Broncos because, like you said, they do sort of have already made roster. They probably need one or two pieces of the puzzle. But it's not you know, he's not going to go in there.
Speaker 3: You know.
Speaker 1: There'll be some change.
Speaker 2: There always is clean out, I.
Speaker 1: Mean, because obviously some of those players were tied to Kevy, notably his son, So I imagine there'll be a little bit of change tickering but not not not mass changes. I wouldn't have thought they don't need. Kevy is such a good bloke and he loves that club. You can see how much that club means to him. But I understand why they did it because you know that review was obviously damning. Yeah, and if you get a review back that's damning about the coaching and the culture, you know you've got to make changes. And it's easier I always say there is. It's easy to coach and change your dressing room, but you can't ship our ten players. But you can move out one coach it's relatively easy and replace him. You can't ship our ten players.
Speaker 4: Easy if you've got the right players right, and I do think they have the right players, But clearly there is a cultural problem. And you know in one of the it might have been one of the last games, maybe the penultimate, maybe maybe the final game, where Kevin Walters up in the game, was talking about how there are guys in this playing group that still don't fully understand what it means to be a Bronco, what it means to be a Broncos jersey. And I think they lose that by losing Kevin Walters because like you said, he loves that club so much and so he understands he's got an in depth understanding of that. But I think where he struggled was was turning that intangible stuff tangible, right, So I think and there's and that comes down to, you know, attitude, that comes down.
Speaker 2: To work ethic.
Speaker 4: But if there's one guy who is going to whip them into shape in terms of that, it's Michael mcgwith.
Speaker 1: So Madge is pretty smart. He looked what he did with New Saith Whales this year. He got the old boys involved right, and he got them really involved with the team and that silenced a lot of that criticism. And come so imagine Madge when he goes up there. One of the first things he'll do is he'll get the likes of Gordy, and he'll get Chris John's and you'll get those guys and he'll try and bring them into the fold a bit. So, so they're reluctant to be overly critical of, at least early on, overly critical of the appointment of Changement's going to be hard because a lot of those blokes are really close to Kevy, really close to him. So we've seen someone come out and be critical. But I think Madge is smart enough to know he needs to get those blokes on side and have him one side from the start.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Do you think he walks into you know, if he gets it, if he gets.
Speaker 3: A gig with it, it probably seems like that's what's going to happen. Do you think he walks into the first press conference with Broncos Jersey?
Speaker 1: Of course? How do you think who's in Wales? Cutch? You got you guys when he goes?
Speaker 2: That's such such a good question.
Speaker 1: Thanks, that's what I'm hereful.
Speaker 2: You should be a journal.
Speaker 1: Mickey.
Speaker 2: I love that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's good, fellow, Mick.
Speaker 2: He is with the media, yeah, smart Yeah.
Speaker 1: And the players, that man, they love him. Apparently he's great with them because he's very I'm told that he's very open honest with them. Players appreciate that, right, So I think, you know, I think what about I know, eventually I suspect he'd like to be in our role head coach and this is the path to it.
Speaker 3: So I reckon McKennis, what about the reports of LORI daily?
Speaker 2: Are they on the money?
Speaker 1: I think Laurie is interested, yeah, yeah, but whether they want to go down that path again if they want to go Laurier, you know, that's an issue with that, but I like, I give someone else a chance, give Mickey a game.
Speaker 2: Why not.
Speaker 3: It's an interesting one for New South Wales actually because if they do, yeah, if they do end up losing matches, it seems like they might. There's the women's coach, Kylie Hill. Her job is under pressure as well. They've done a big review into the Ya the women's origin how that turned out this year, which was not very good. They've lost the last couple of seasons, so they could be on the hunt for.
Speaker 1: Two back on top next year. There the reset both men's and women's good news. I like that as a queen's land. All right, Brent, Okay, now let's get on. What are you watching? What do you watch? I've watched the show I.
Speaker 2: Watched, so yeah, I've been watching.
Speaker 3: I finished it actually might have been Saturday, but The Perfect Couple, so it's a Netflix.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Did you like it?
Speaker 1: Yeah, we did like it. Yeah, it was my all time favorite.
Speaker 2: But it was it was kind of interesting.
Speaker 3: It was a bit lighthearted. It's a bit of a who done it? So a body there's a wedding at a at a home in it's not the Hampton's, Where was it Nantucket? And a body washes up on the beach or is ound the next morning of a wedding, and then it's just a bit of a who done it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was really good. Loved it.
Speaker 3: It's an all star cast as well, so it's got Nicole Kimmen in it. Leave Schreiber, isn't it as well? Dakota Fanning. Yeah, absolutely loved it. It's very good, very easily bingeable. I just obsessed with Nicole Kidman. I won't anything she has.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I love her.
Speaker 1: I lost some big this year.
Speaker 2: I love her. I didn't realize Nantucket looks like the Hampton's.
Speaker 4: It seems like some sort of like hillbilly town somewhere, but it's not very very.
Speaker 1: Listen, Tom.
Speaker 2: And if you are come over at the time.
Speaker 4: I'm an old school Actually, I don't know if told Scott a Bronx tale.
Speaker 1: I've heard what is this?
Speaker 4: It's like, I think it's okay, you asked somebody who isn't a movie buff. But I think it's a cult. It's a Robert de Niro cult classic.
Speaker 1: Look at Robert he's young in this, isn't he.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so he's young in this.
Speaker 4: So and the Bronx Tale is the tale of the guy, the kid who plays Robert de Niro's son in it, And it just sort of.
Speaker 2: Looks at all the sort of.
Speaker 4: I guess lots from the seventies in the maybe even before that. I mean, I don't know this film, but it was set sort of well, yeah, its like a.
Speaker 2: Bit of a like a mobster.
Speaker 4: It's yeah, yeah, yeah, it's got a mob a mobster element me too. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: It's also a bit of a coming of age story as well, set in the Bronx beautiful and some sort of some time period.
Speaker 1: He doesn't make bad movies. He's very good.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, it was good.
Speaker 4: And then you know how sometimes you know you're watching something and then you start googling.
Speaker 2: So the kid, the teenager.
Speaker 4: In the movie who's Robert de Niro's son, was and he looks so much like him, like a really ninety three, isn't I thought it was. Yeah, it was supposed to be like the next dan Era and the rest of it. But when I looked at you know how you can go movies and shows and you look someone up and then it looked at one of the most recent things was wasted talent, and then a picture of him in it. So apparently after he found some stardom after a Bronx Tale, things went sound off the rails.
Speaker 1: It's a bit sad. It's a sad postcript, is it. Yeah, well it's not. I've started watching mister McMahon, which is the Netflix boiler yesterday, and I love I'm a bit of a wrestling fan. Well, I used to watch the old time wrestling and I don't watch it a lot anymore. But it's the story of obviously Vince Mrick marn conducted numerous interviews with all the wrestling stars. I mean he is he's had some work done, that he said the interview. His head doesn't his face doesn't move. No, he's had a lot of work done, Vince.
Speaker 2: He's looked the same for twenty years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no he doesn't. He looks doesn't look the same anymore. People tell these people and have work done like that, mate, stop getting work done. You're looking worse.
Speaker 3: Do you think anyone tells him anything like that?
Speaker 2: No?
Speaker 3: So just the like, it's funny, isn't it looking back on because I never really.
Speaker 2: Got into wrestling like I was.
Speaker 3: I think I was like growing up in around the Attitude era, and I would watch it sometimes, but then it just kind of made me a bit sick.
Speaker 2: But yeah, I wasn't really into it.
Speaker 3: But then yeah, but like looking back on it now, just the different lens that you have looking back on some of this stuff is crazy.
Speaker 1: He was mad, really issues over lawsuits and all sorts of things. And obviously they did all these interviews before the latest lawsuit which promptly missed and down from the w W.
Speaker 2: On it.
Speaker 1: Maybe, but yeah, he sort of Yeah, interesting guy, interesting guy, But as I said, he.
Speaker 2: Some of those accusations just like disgusting.
Speaker 1: He used to cut out the plastic surgeries. Well, Vince, if you if you're listening, name more Vince, not necessarily mate, grow old gracefully, That's what I say.
Speaker 2: I think it's too late for who was your favorite wrestler?
Speaker 1: Bosed to love Hulk. I loved the Hulk, Phulk Hogan. Then I sort of I drifted off ALF a bit after that. I sort of watched it for a bit longer. But I love the Rock. He's very good. He was very good back in the Stone called Steve Austin. You don't, no, I know the Rock Rock when the Rock fought Hulk Hogan at WrestleMania, unbelievable, the best, that's so good. You know what it was like. It was like Penguins Melbourne and of course God I reckon the Rocks pen Got just swaggering a bit of show about him. Yeah, and Hulks, the Hulks Melvin. Actually, I think the Rock one, guys, the other way.
Speaker 3: Wasn't that the It wasn't that the the end of it was like that was the turnover.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, you might have to find a way to connect those two in Grad Final week.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, all right, well we look forward to a Grand Final Week this week. Enjoy your Grand Final week. Thanks team, and thanks and thank you.