Speaker 1: Hi'm i Boris, and this is straight talk.
Speaker 2: Everyone that's going to vote for Harris is going to tell you, I reckon. Five out of one hundred that are voting for Trump won't tell you. And that's been believing in the past.
Speaker 1: Jail Hockeyrus made here, going, what do you think is in that effective? Trump wins?
Speaker 2: The amount of announcements he's made, if he were deliver them on tax cuts, tariffs and everything else would be diabolical.
Speaker 1: What about if she wins that?
Speaker 2: Because she's talking about price controls and everyone's going, how's that going to work? Harris has not defined herself, so she still remains a big policy mystery.
Speaker 1: And if I was asking now, Joe, what do you think will happen in the election next year? A straining Oh, that's obviously going to be close. Firstly, and do you see their current ambassador? Do you have much to do with kem I do?
Speaker 2: I do? I do? And you know Kevin.
Speaker 1: Joel Hockeyrus made here going, Okay, I've.
Speaker 2: Been a long time, have known each other long time.
Speaker 1: And actually I remember I was onlything about today. I remember meeting you, like when Michael y Abbsley was raising money for the Liberal Party. Yeah, that made me two thousand nineties.
Speaker 2: Early nineties totally.
Speaker 1: And Wabsley got me in a restaurant with a bow because it was a friend of mine the time, I'd haven't seen a long time and we'd agreed to put some moderate amount of money into your campaign, which is not much those days if it was a lot, but for it lost me at the time. But well, you can make up for it now, I know I can. Just to embarrass you, like because because I really need to do this to you, because Kerry would never forgive me Kerry Pack if I don't tell the audience about this story. And I'm the only part I'm going to talk about. The rest. I'm just gonna ask a questions. I'm gonna ask and it's going to all be about you. But this story is all about you. Just to give the audience a taste of the bloke they're sitting in front of me. Now, this is what I call a proper treasurer. That's my view, right, And you know he's a businessman today. He's a former Ambassador of the United States of America for Australia in the United States America for Australia and the former Treasurer. But I'm going to go right back to two thousand and I think it was two maybe two thousand and two. I had was a business partnership packer and it was the beginning. It was February two thousand and two, I think interest rates. Interest rates hadn't come off for a long time, and you were the Minister for Finance and Petercase was a Treasurer at the time, so you're much younger Blake, much young Blake. So I get a phone call. The first Reserve Bank meeting was about happened on the Tuesday February, first Tuesday of February, and everyone knew they're going to drop interest rates, and they did dropped inns rates. So I had a phone call from Minister Joe Hockey and he says to me, hey, mate, He said, treasure wants to know because in those days, the Treasurer and the Promise used to talk in Parliament all the time about the competition against the banks. And I was around, Asie was around, but Ozzie had been around for a bit longer than me, so he had a bigger profile. But Minister Hockey says to me on the telephone mark. We notice you're dropping in interest rates and I said, yes, we drop. We announced we're going to drop our instrates. And he said how much by and I said twenty five base points, which was just ahead of the Roserve Bank. And Minister Hockey said, and when we be passing that just rate reduction on? I said, well, funny should say that, I said, because we're thinking about passing it on much more quickly because in those days you passed an interest rate increase on straight away and this rate reduction six weeks later. Correct, So we hold the money for a bit, you know, we also make money. And he said when you think you're going to do that, because it was a big bonu contention with consumers that this rought was happening. I said, I don't know. We're thinking thirteen, twelve, thirty days that that's very interesting. I'll tell the treasure right, But I said, I got to check. So I've got to go check to Kerry Pack. I go to say Erry, like mister Hoggie's on the phone. He the threasur was going to talk about this in parliament. I said, I said, I will pass the rate reduction on twelve days and carry nearly had apoplexy, like he said, what are you doing that for? That's when we make our money and during the periods of change. I say, yeah, but you know the ministers is thinking it would be good for Australians. We need to change the landscape. It's unfair that we put it up straight away and put it down and said, I think we should do it. He said, okay, Sony said, I trust you, you do it. So I thought, good, So I ring mister hockey back. I'm gonna say, Joe twelve days. He said. It's interesting, Marke he said. He said, I was talking to west Pac and west Pack are thinking and doing it, doing it in nine days, and I went, oh fuck. He said, would you go eight? And I thought, oh my god. And I thought, I can't ring carry up. I cannot ring carry. If I ring carry, he'll kill me. And I thought, west Pac nine, can we go eight? Because I can't let Westpac own this now. Now I've always started, I've got to own it. I went eight days and I I've never known to this very day whether or not you were telling me the truth or not, because I have this. I had this straight after this sneaking suspicion that I'd just been jammed and set up so bad.
Speaker 2: But it did fantastic to be jammed between Kerry Packer and Johannah.
Speaker 1: Pretty hard, and I thought. But the good thing about it was, and we don't see this in politics today, the good thing about it is that treasurers and then you later became the treasure later on, but treasurers and ministers for finances, you were financial services I think it was called at the time, and this it was two thousand and one, actually not two thousand and two, took risks and were active in the marketplace like our marketplace, and put pressure on people. I've never heard a word from I did hear from Scott at one stage in Josh, but I've never heard a word from Jim. And you know, what do you think about this as a representative a big part of the marketplace.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's I mean, the environment changes. But I you know, I grew up in a small business family and you know it was just what it was bred into me, and.
Speaker 1: Well, you know, prom puting pressure on me it all zero.
Speaker 2: I mean, I remember ringing Roger Corbett when he was putting up prices with the GST and and he was putting it up ahead of the introduction's GST and I said to him, I said, mister Corbett, if we need to have a body swing from a light pole in Martin Place and it's yours, then so be it. But you're not putting up prices until we get rid of all the other taxes.
Speaker 1: As you know, he was bullies, that's right, and he had.
Speaker 2: To get people into all the Woolies overnight change thirteen million tags. Had to remove it in a million price tags. Colonel Yeah, cost unfortunate, but you know that's the way it should be. It's it's not intimidation of it's about what's best with the Australian.
Speaker 1: So where has that changed, Joe. It's different today and there might be a whole lot good reasons for it, But where is that change in Australia. Why is it changed?
Speaker 2: I don't know. I just I've always been that sort of person. It's just, you know, maybe because I'm more familiar with business. I grew up engaging with business at a very young age. I was never really intimidated by business. I remember meetings with Kerry Packer when he wanted to buy the Sydney Morning Hero remember, oh my god. In fact, I was sharing that some of the stories.
Speaker 1: He doesn't hold back.
Speaker 2: No, well, it's funny, you know, I had caught up with Kerry Stokes and we're reflecting on all those days when all that media ownership law was changing, how the Carrs went to war with each other, and it was you know, it was a different environment. And see, I think now business is more removed from politics, you know.
Speaker 1: And I think that's right.
Speaker 2: And part of it is shareholders say, you know, don't engage with politicians, don't donate to politicians. So the danger is you become removed from the people that are generating the economy. And so I think bigger business is friendless, and partly it's the fault. Overwhelmingly it's a fall of big business because they stopped donating to the parties and therefore, you know, they're being called out for behavior and they've got no friends. They saw that with the banking reforms under Malcolm Turnbull. We see the way the mining companies are treated today, you know. And it's very hard in politics to go into bat for business if it's not in the best interests of small business and consumers.
Speaker 1: You were you I'm not sure, but did you have a small business under your portfolio?
Speaker 2: I had, I had small business, not on that one. I was small business and tourism after that.
Speaker 1: Yeah, okay, I do remember having small business under your point.
Speaker 2: I loved it. I mean, in fact, I've started a small business now and.
Speaker 1: It was actually not so small. But yes, yeah, but I.
Speaker 2: Mean I started, you know, filling out a bank application form in.
Speaker 1: The US, having up a bank well, and it's called Bondo partners it is, and you're you're effectively putting parties to parties, so you're.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the interaction between politics and business. And we've got a consultancy arm, we've got a capital arm, we've got an investment fund investing in companies in national security in Australia, in the US and UK with and we've we've got m and a advisory arm. We've got an advocacy arm, and we're in Australia, the US, UK and Japan.
Speaker 1: We're just to say it looks very much in some respects, it looks very much like a very early stage mccuari bank without being a bank in that McCrory group, I mean, not the bank part of the McCrory group part of it. You've got funds, you've got investments, you've got advisor, a lot of advisory stuff. But you're sort of making markets between people and regions.
Speaker 2: Well, it's hard going to another country and it's really expensive, particularly for SMS going to the United States. I mean people think, for example, going to the United States is just like going to Queensland. Well it's not. I mean, it's it's very different. And so same with the UK. They don't really understand. UK has always looked at the EU rather than at the US, and and Americans coming here have a little bit of a tinge of arrogance. They know how to deal with it, just like going to California. I mean, as I say to Americans, I say, what are Australians like, I say, well, we're just like Californians, except we like America. That's difference. Oh yeah, okay, we get it now.
Speaker 1: And how much of that? How much of that, Joe, do you get a leg up from being the ambassador because ambassadorship which you took on fifteen sixteen seventy Yeah, how much how much do you get out of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? For sure. But I mean it's look if I was still a lawyer as I was way back, you know, maybe i'd be.
Speaker 1: A partner at course, and yeah.
Speaker 2: And you know it would have been accounting for every six minutes of my life.
Speaker 1: And you'd be charging me. Well, actually, I used Mallicon's recently and they charged me fifteen hundred bucks an hour.
Speaker 2: Well that's okay, that's good for you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, no, no, no, no, no, he's actually quite inexpensive.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, certainly not that, but it's you know, I just always felt the need to try and do something better. I felt the need to give and look, I just enjoyed the US and after I finished his ambassador, I'm going, well, what do I do now? You know, I've had twenty four years of public life. I don't want to be a lobbyist or anything like that. I wanted to do something more substantive, and we ended up doing you know, fantastic transactions in Australia's interests. Like you know, the biggest telco in the Pacific was thinking of being selling itself to the Chinese, and you know, I stepped in and worked with the Australian government and the American government and made sure or Telstra now owns it right, So things like that were then in national security, we're investing in the sort of companies that are going to keep our kids safe. So that's that's my you know, there's got to be that element to it to get me really fired up. And yes, of course, all the knowledge I've gained as ambassador or as treasurer or or any of them, I'm not going to deny that. That'd be ridiculous and what I am.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but there's no point in not leveraging what you've done.
Speaker 2: What I see God, I mean, it's you know, if you've been the world's best plumber, you're going to leverage that. And this is you know, people often say to me, what's so and so like, Well Trump, what's Trump like? Well? Trump is taking his experience as a New York property developer and he's taking it to the White House. He's transactional, he does deals. You know, he's polite to people, even the people that he competes against. But you know, he's a hard, transactional person. And it's no different with Harris, who's a prosecutor, and Kamala Harris has been a prosecutor and a lawyer, and we all have you know, Barack Obama comes across as a university lecturer, and that's what he was. You know, he's a very good university.
Speaker 1: Can we talk about Trump? I'm sure you're sick of it, but like you're here, so I got Orden wants to talk about Trump. They want to hear about someone who knows the guy for a start, and any of your abassador role, you get to meet Trump because he was a president during that period.
Speaker 2: We no, most ambassadors wouldn't have many. I mean you meet the president when you become ambassador, you go and present your credential, so you have a five minute meeting with a president that time was Barack Obama. I met Trump because he was running for office and my view was he could win, and no one else had that view, and so I was lonely out there saying I want to engage with the Trump campaign when no one else would and he was considered, you know, an idiot, and everyone said Clinton's going to win. And that's when the relationships.
Speaker 1: What do you think he was going to win? What was it you saw in him?
Speaker 2: Ah? You know, Mark, I like in our politics here we talk about Betty Bankstown and we try and identify the swing voter, the margall see voter, and who really mattered, how we going to win her over? And I took that political experience in Australia and campaigns and said, what who's the swing voter in America? And we came up with Mary Milwaukee, Wisconsin, right. And I just when I started to define in my own head and to the embassy Mary Milwaukee, they started to understand that there was something more than Clinton, something more than what was being offered. It was much more complicated. So Mary Milwaukee, and you know, this is sort of typical in one says forty five years of age, earning fifteen dollars an hour for the last ten years will mart In the checkout. You know, she has two kids, a boy that's probably done one or two two is the duty of Afghanistan, probably has PTSD. She has a young daughter. She hopes one day we'ld go to college, but she can't afford it. Her husband is one of one and a half million truck drivers in America that hasn't got a college degree. And she goes to church Wednesdays and Sundays, which is typical in the Midwest. You know, she pays the bills, She holds the family together. She worries about security, the threat of Fender all and every night on TV, the Colberts and the Jimmy Kimmel's another laugh at her for going to church, for having traditional values, believing the marriage is between a man and a woman. But you know, and they laugh at her because she's yesterday, because they see her as yesterday, and they're really about, you know, more a different type of Miera. And you know, Mary's there and she's going hang on. Along comes Donald Trump and he's a very successful person. But he's rude. I don't like that rudeness. But you know what, he not only listens to me, he's fighting for me. He says, you know, Mary, you there's nothing wrong with going to church, or there's nothing wrong with, you know, having a history of guns hand through the generation. There's nothing wrong with, you know, having an F one fifty pickup truck. There's nothing wrong with not going to university. What's wrong with that? In fact, I'm going to fight for you, Mary. And she said, for the first time someone's come along and fall for me. And you know what, Mary, More white women voted for Donald Trump than Hillary Clinton in twenty sixteen, and more white women voted for Donald Trump than Joe Biden in twenty twenty because he's suddenly saying I hear you and I'm fighting for you.
Speaker 1: Was that just a clever strategy from his point of view? Is it for real? Like, is he actually want to fy for those people? Did he see them as someone's going to give them back?
Speaker 2: Yeah? No, I think he's authentic. And you know, authenticity is the most valuable commodity in the twenty first century, whether it be in business or in politics or anything else. If you're authentic, you can't be fake, you can't lie. People see right through you. And so you know Trump, of course he lies about facts and figures and sort of stuff. But when he says, you know, I want to get out of the war in Afghanistan, you know he really wanted to get out of the war. When he said I wanted to build the wall, he really wanted to build the wall. And you know, whether you agree with him or not, he actually delivered on his authenticity. You know, when he's not author I mean when he gets up a rallies and says, look, my people say, I've got to try and win back the female voters. He's right, it's so transparent. He's got the speaking points, and he goes, yeah, here are the speaking points by people give him. What do you think of that? That's why ten, fifteen, twenty thirty thousand people bowl up to his rallies all over America and one day he could speak to eighty ninety thousand people, you know, just by going rally to rally, and they keep coming out and they keep hearing the same speech. Amazing.
Speaker 1: I once heard someone say that I think it was I think it was Franklin. They said, might have been I might know Roosevelt. I'm sure so Franklin did rese it was the first president that got there through radio. JFK was the first president. Was the TV president because he looked a certain way and acted a certain way. And Trump was the first social media president because you know, he's good at working social media. And I'm talking about the time it would have been Twitter and those other things. Yeah, yeah, sure she was working with And I was thinking to myself, Kamala Harris right now seems to be the best to TikTok like as a new version of social media, like Trump doesn't sort of resonate with that audience. She seems to be really good at that and everywhere I see and I don't even know what she stands for. I actually can't pinpoint of policy this stage. I haven't actually heard to talk about it much policy, but she's bloody good in front of the audience. In relation to that particular form of social media, which everybody under thirty looks at.
Speaker 2: Well, she has successfully married an issue that's emotional and important like abortion and the demographic that she really needs to get out to vote, being women under the age of forty, right, And she's used TikTok and Instagram and everything else to get to basically prepare that demographic for the battle of the election and to come out and vote for her and volunteer for her, and then the endorsement of Taylor Swift and others coming behind it.
Speaker 1: So do you think she's had to pick a fo or pick an issue, because I've been hearing people say it's about Albanezi lately. You've got to pick a five, You.
Speaker 2: Got to define yourself. The thing is Harris has not defined herself. So you know, bear this in mind. The last election that we didn't have a Biden, a Bush or a. Clinton was nineteen seventy six, nearly fifty years ago, and there's been one of those three names in every presidential ballot since that time. So name recognition and that doesn't even include Obama. So name recognition is hugely important, especially when you have voluntary voting. So along comes Harris Walls and it's really I'm gone a few weeks to define itself. She's the first candidate since I think nineteen sixty eight or something who hasn't gone through a primary. So the American primary system basically introduces them to the American people, and particularly the Democrats or the Republicans, and millions of people go out and they spend multi millions, hundreds of millions of dollars on their campaigns. Harris hasn't gone through that for this election.
Speaker 1: She went through it.
Speaker 2: Biden went through it, that's right, and Harris hasn't. So she's an unknown to more people than you think. Now, the question in my mind is is she going how does she differentiate herself from Biden? We know how she differentiates herself from Trump. I mean, she's obviously looking different than Trump, but how does she differentiate herself from Biden? And that's a very tricky issue. So she's not she's not making major policy announcements. She's done fewer press conferences than any other candidate ever for president of the United States since you had your media, and you know, everyone else has defined her, defined her as the candidate she's done. Rather than Kamala Harris defining herself. Everyone else has defined her. Clinton's defined her. You know, Biden's to find Obamas to find her. That's massive fire power. Oprah's to find her, Taylor Swifts to find her, everyone else has to find her. Whereas you know, really she still remains a bit of a big policy mystery.
Speaker 1: Do you think that's part Do you think that's the thought out strategy?
Speaker 2: Oh totally yeah, yeah. And you know, so they basically bunkered down Biden in the twenty twenty election because of COVID and that sort of worked and minimum press conferences, whereas Trump is all out there, you know, everywhere, spews it out like he's accessible, you know, even seeing their journalists tell me that, you know, he'll ring them at odd hours and CNN is like the mortal enemy h Trump, but he still rings those journals at odd hours to say you ought to know this or you ought to know that are well done. And he's very very open and engaged. It's kind of interesting. He's privately he is a curious mind.
Speaker 1: I'm curious or curious himself.
Speaker 2: No, curious. He asks a lot of questions, right, he says, you know, and they could be Oh gosh, the conversations I've had, they've drifted from the Koala is going to survive the bushfires through to you know, you know, is Malcolm Turnbull really that rich? I mean yeah, like it's really it's bizarre, so random, it's random, and they'll come out, you jump from topic to topic and then he'll get onto golf and you know or something like that. It's like, really, he's got a very curious mind, and he listens carefully and if he finds a bit of information, he likes to grab onto it.
Speaker 1: What's a take to be a US president? Do you think? I mean? Looking as an observer, I mean, because I'll be honest, it doesn't seem like either one of them are great candidates to me? Like sure, Like do I would I if I was America, would I want either one of them running my country? I'm not sure sure? But what do you think it takes to be a great president of the United States, And Mike could say what I think, it takes me a great promister as straight from what I've observed, but I don't know about the United States. Look, it's the same thing. It's conviction, conviction, conviction.
Speaker 2: You have to believe that you know you call it and you call it right, and there'll be times when you don't. And the hard part is knowing when you've made a wrong call and you've got to change direction.
Speaker 1: But a lot of the calls these days are critical calls. Lebanon, Syria, Iran, Gaza. I mean, they're a bit China.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's the hardest job in the world president of the United States. You know. One of the things that struck me Mark when I was ambassador was how the whole world expects America to fix their problems. Yeah, deep dark Africa, someone's got a problem South America. There's a battle between Brazil and Columbia, or Brazil and Peru, or Chile or whatever. The US has got to fix it. In the Caribbean, in Canada up in the northern border, or in Europe, you know, two countries a fight, or in the Pacific, you know, everyone expects America to solve their problems. And by the way, the US president has to be a president for the United States as well, has to worry about healthcare, education, domestic violence, you know, et cetera, et cetera. Immigration. I think it's just an impossible job. I think it's an impossible job. And what you have to do is set a tone and then have conviction behind it. So the great conviction presidents like Teddy Roosevelt or Franklin Delano Roosevelt or you know, I'd put in there, you know LBJ, you know conviction, Yeah, I'd put him in there. I think he's one of the great US presidents, you know, for what his conviction on breaking down the racial barriers in the US was phenomenal, really was phenomenal. And then Ronald Reagan, of course, you know, he's conviction, sense of purpose. He's you've got to clearly know what's right and wrong, and he did that with the Soviet Union when it was pretty tense. And so conviction politicians are the people I most admire and I find other best to work. John Howard was a conviction totally, and Bob Hawk was a conviction. He knew where he wanted to go. I think the Australia has been best served by conviction leaders.
Speaker 1: I was only saying the other day. Irrespective Hawk or Howard's, they're different in politics in terms of which one's blue ones red. But they were two of our best.
Speaker 2: Yeah, of course. I mean, you know, I was privileged to be in John Howard's cabinet. He promoted me very early, at a very young age. And you know, I wasn't of the more conservative persuasion of the Live Party, so he saw me a little like a black sheep, I think, but he was. He was magnanimous and he always listened. He was very good in listening to the Australia, as was Hawky. Hawky was made of mine, a golf buddy, and I'm not convinced, but I'm close to being convinced. He actually might have voted for me on one or two occasions.
Speaker 1: Really well, there.
Speaker 2: Were some labor leaders he really didn't like, but I don't know, but he he you know, they're just really wise. They're good listeners. I find the best leaders in business or in politics, any discipline are good listeners.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's very interesting, you should say, because I was only talking I was only sort of complaining or moaning, whatever the world is the lack of policy of our current government. And I think it's I'm not having a crack at them here. I think it's because of the way politics, boys, Stone, who who is voting for you? Who you are representing? And they represent The Labor Party today in federal politics represents such a broad array of different people that's so broad it's a massive church for them, whereas the Liberals more just conservatives, a little bit broad than they were in the past, but no anear like labor. And it must be virtually impossible for the Labor to be able to say this for everybody. Therefore, don't make it any well.
Speaker 2: And that's why the primary voter is thirty one percent. I mean Labor. You know, mate, I'm going to tell you when we're in politics. When I was in politics not that long ago, we formed the view that we had to have a primary voter forty four to win government. Labor needed a primary voter forty one forty two. Labor's currently polling thirty one. Yeah, now you know you're having your meal eaten away by all these the Greens, the Teals, where the Liberal Party had it with the Teals. But still we're getting close to forty Still got a way to go to get up to forty four. But you see, it's just you know, social media has changed it. You know what social media has done is it's made the voice of the critic much louder than the voice of the advocate. Yeah, and you know I sort of thump the table when I read in a paper or something or online someone say, oh, well, we need the government to lay down this reform. Actually, you know, if you come out and you have the biggest tax policy change, you can say today, it'll be yesterday's news. By tomorrow, everyone overnight would be smashing it on social media and you just go, okay. So my view today is the best government is the one that interferes the least in your life.
Speaker 1: May a regulatory center.
Speaker 2: Your regulatory sense and taxation sense on. You know that, Like, don't get the government to solve your problem, you get the opportunity to solve your problem and get the government out of the way. I mean, you know, look, we're talking about housing this.
Speaker 1: I was going to say housing.
Speaker 2: Housing is a great example. Mate. I don't know if you've done a renovation.
Speaker 1: Lately I've done I did when I a budget both four times.
Speaker 2: Mate, I'm railing gainst this. I want to put up a car port, single car port in my backyard. It costs four thousand dollars and I've been told I have to go to council. It's going to cost me seven thousand dollars to go to council just.
Speaker 1: For the council.
Speaker 2: For the council, I have to put in a DA for it, right because it's a heritage Erry, I'm going, I'm just putting up a temporary car pot And you're going, why do I bother? Right? Like, so you're not going to get more construction of housing if you're spending a vast amount of money on red tape and green tape. And I know where this comes from. Everyone's trying to mitigate risk. Well, we've got to be prepared to take risk.
Speaker 1: We're the consumer.
Speaker 2: You have to have some risk.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but how can we say to the government department you don't need to take the risk, will take it?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well that's the point. It comes back to personal responsibility and the fact that you do take a risk. I'm not saying you don't have das of course, you do, and you've got to have communities and so on. But there's just it's just ridiculous the amount of paperwork, and then you know it adds to the cost of everything. And plumbers and electricians we haven't got enough of them. They're getting tired. They're fantastic the trade is, you know, and the quality of the work they do is often very good in Australia, but they're tired. I mean they're hitting sixty and you're crawling under a house to do the plumbing or the electricals right, and you can't get people to do it. So I think that's just, you know, somehow we've got to let the market have a solution to some of these issues, and you know that means freeing up land, having you know, potential for more high rise et cetera, et cetera. But you know it's highly contentious.
Speaker 1: You during your treasurer period did have something to say about need of gearing. You did have something to say about negative gearing during your of course, and I have to, and I will be honest, I did do an article with the AFI some years before that and I said, I actually said negative gearing is actually not good policy. But there's not good economic policy. Right, But I said to be silly to get rid of it, because it's too indentured into our system today.
Speaker 2: So here's a solution, negative gearing, gratuitous advice forty thousand feet or thirty thousand dollars and washed it right. Negative gearing is a tool used to encourage investment in income producing assets. Right and treasurers are both persuasions. The liberal have skewed the taxation system towards favoring investment in equities over investment in real estate. Why because, as an economist will tell you, a dollar that goes into an old home, right is a dollar that has sort of lost forever until you sell the home. Whereas you put a dollar into BHP, they'll take that dollar, they'll buy new equipment, build a new mine, and they'll give you a return. So the question is how do we get real estate to become productive? Now? Of course, the productive real estate is when you're building new homes that's employing people. That money is at work until it's done, and then it's not at work. Right. So that's why on real estate we still have land tax, we still have stamp duty, and on shares you've got franking credits, you've got no stamp duty, you've got no land tax. So it's the taxation system is skewed. Still, negative gearing, the same economic tool applied to real estate applied to shares, but the shares are far more attractive than the real estate. Right. So because real estate, if you take away negative gearing on investment, real estate rents are going to go up. It's as simple as that, right. And in other countries they have rent control, rent subsidies. Well, we can't do that, that's ridiculous. The market is at play. But if you really want to get more housing, double double or perhaps increase by fifty percent, the negative gearing entitlement on new real estate. So there's an incentive to go and buy new real.
Speaker 1: Estate money into the system.
Speaker 2: Exactly the jobs going, It gets the housing construction going. And plus you know it helps to subsidize the new housing for people that really need it.
Speaker 1: And what about the couple of gains tax on the other end, because.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't change the capital gain tax range.
Speaker 1: The discount as it is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's not even a discount. I mean, it's competitive with other countries. And you know, in the United States, for example, they have increased tax so high that everyone keeps rolling their money intill the capital gains tax opportunity arrives. It's a bit the same in your own business in Australia, you'll keep rolling the money in because if you take it as as income you pay fifty percent. If you sell your business, you only paid twenty five percent of them.
Speaker 1: Which is true, but that way so so do you. But do you think that this government? I mean, I've noticed that Paul Keating has been getting stuck into his own party and Bill Kelty more recently is even way he goes, yes, let's do it. But that's unusual for labor. It's they're usually pretty staunch like. Keating has had at a lot of cracks and a lot of things that have been going. I've actually tried to get him on the show, but particularly in relation to our relationship with China and also in relation to Aucust, he's been quite.
Speaker 2: His old garland that he is wrong.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that? And what do you think about his commentary?
Speaker 2: Oh look, I think Paul Ketting was a pioneer and number of areas, but he's just.
Speaker 1: Dead wrong economically one hundred percent the super supernovation guarantee, good thumbs up, you know, the you know, like the deregulation. He's just a great flooding.
Speaker 2: All those things. Yeah, is dead wrong, dead wrong and the wrong motivations. I mean, China is you know, first and foremost about Beijing's We don't share values with China. I mean, I've got many Chinese friends. I had a great relationship with the Chinese government over many years. But I understand this. You know, their first priority in China is the welfare of the Communist Party. They're not our friend when it comes to values. You know, the UK and the US are our friend. There are allies. They've shared blood for us, We've shared blood for them. That's where it goes. And then the only country in the world that is successfully marrying capital with innovation on a grand scale as a US. So from an economic perspective, the US is as much opportunity as China, if not more as is you know with the emergency of India and all the others. But the BTTOM line is the US is our closest friend. Our integration in their security system and their integration NOWS means that you know, of the last thirteen attempted terrorist tax in Australia, probably eight or nine would have been thwarted with the help of US intelligence agencies, you know, and may share a lot of intelligence. They've got sixteen intelligence agencies, and I would say we're embedded in most of them. And then when it comes to the military, at various times we've had military personnel and up to thirty two US states and people don't know about it. And then they're embedded with US. And I tell you what, I'd rather have them with US than any other country in the world.
Speaker 1: It's funny. I interviewed Trump and when was that. I interviewed him in twenty sixteen. He gave me a half hour half our interview and he railed against China. And I got quite nervous because sixteen was a period when you were around and China was our biggest trading partner. It was big emerging as the biggest trading part They might have just got a head for sure, and I was sort of trying to think, well, this is not going to let this is not going so good. You look, I'm gona get a bit nervous. But he didn't hold back, and he said sort of the same type of thing as you, not suggesting it the same. But he talked about values, the Chinese values relative to our values, relative to the American values, and fair.
Speaker 2: Enough, that's what they are. But I mean, if you look at look, just look at the history, right, and it's really important. You know, China, China, Russia, and the US all were born out of revolutionary wars. All three countries really had big revolutionary wars, and then they followed up with big civil wars. And what happens in the civil war is no one trusts their neighbor anymore. It's something you you can go years and years and generations, but at the end of the day, you don't really trust the person next door or the person on the other side of the country. So in China and Russia, head office Moscow and Beijing rule with an iron fist. That's how they keep control and so on. In the US, they fear Washington running with the ruling with an iron fists. So that's the constitution. That's why Americans proudly are still state based. They rail against Washington. That's why Trump has that right, has that capacity. He's railing against Washington. He's not of the establishment and Americans feel that sense of comfort. Australia is a bit the same. They rail against Canberra. We're sort of more agreeable to Canberra, but we're sort of railey. We don't want it to use our power to camera. And that's why states rights are still very powerful here and on. On China, Trump is very consistent. He has been very consistent. Of course, he says I'll deal with the President and do a deal and a great deal. But the bottom line is, you know, they're different values and that's.
Speaker 1: Really important, and it's okay to accept that, by the way.
Speaker 2: Yeah, correct, Yeah, the Chinese to understand that. That's why they still buy our iron ore and our coal and everything else. They and you know, that's why they want to They want to get on with this. They're pragmatic. And by the way, they've got a lot of domestic problems in China as well. So I don't think that it's.
Speaker 1: All particularly economically economic.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. I mean, when I was Treasurer, you know that I had a great relationship with Loji waih, the Finance Minister of China, and he rang me out one name and said, look, you Joe, I've got to put a tariff on your coal and I said, but we're about to sign a trade agreement where you abolish the tariffs. He said, I've got a few domestic issues. It's only going to be for six months. I said, okay, in todays what what what? What?
Speaker 1: What do you think?
Speaker 2: Then?
Speaker 1: What's your inside around What does Scott say that really got them upset? Because you know, whilst we're talking about the values of China and Australia and they accepted, they're practically understand it. What was it that really got up?
Speaker 2: It was unquestionably calling for a global inquiry into the source of COVID, so blaming and China was very embarrassed about COVID, as they should be. I mean, you think about it, no event in the history of humanity has affected every single household on the face of the.
Speaker 1: Earth except COVID, except COVID.
Speaker 2: Isn't that amazing? I mean we've had wars, and we've had you know, famines and you know environmental events. But the only event that went to every single house, every single home, every single on the face of the earth was COVID and China was responsible.
Speaker 1: Do you think for sure?
Speaker 2: Of course? Yeah, I mean it's absolutely, there's no doubt about it. But you know, I think Scott Morrison calling for a confirmation of that yeah, was just you know, China is all about face, right, very much about face, and that was seen as comfortation. He was right to do it. It was the right thing to do, he said.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, do you think that?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Of course, yeah.
Speaker 1: But the punishment did befit the crime though?
Speaker 2: How did they punish it? They didn't buy some wine, they didn't buy.
Speaker 1: Lobsters sorry, some lobsters.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we had cheap loobbies for a long time.
Speaker 1: But because and do you think that Trump then plays it right? Then when in terms of how he talks about China adding Paris, everything is going to.
Speaker 2: Come to I mean, that's he's playing a race card.
Speaker 1: Is that is that a good Is that a good narrative to win an election?
Speaker 2: Well? I'd hope not, but you know it is what it is something It's long been that sort of.
Speaker 1: What do you think is in that effect of Trump wins economically?
Speaker 2: I'm well, his policies, Ah, I don't know if their policies or their thoughts, but the amount of announcements he's made, if he were deliver them on tax cuts, tariffs and everything else would be diabolical.
Speaker 1: In what regard economic economically.
Speaker 2: I mean, the US is just running a massive deficit. It's borrowing from the rest of the world. Congress keeps approving these big deficit of budgets to the extent that, you know, if the US dollar is not the reserve currency of the world, they're screwed. So then there's nothing else at the moment. But you know, they're screwed. So the US, you know, can't sustain that. Trump's making it worse. He said he's he's going to reduce company tax to fifteen percent. He said, to go even further. He said he's going to carry on the tax cuts at sunset next year, but he could go further. He has come out and said credit card interest rates are too high. We're going to cap it at ten percent. Sounds great, but how does that work? Right? He's come out and he said he won't have a ten percent tariff on China. He's going to have a sixty percent tariff on China.
Speaker 1: So that's inflationy oh Man.
Speaker 2: Inflation goes through the roof because America has I think it's about a five hundred billion dollars trade deficit with China. Well, that means they're bringing it in, right, they're not manufacturing. And even if in the US they would going to manufacture it, they couldn't build that manufacturing overnight. So they're going to suddenly have you know, a sixty percent increase in the price of five hundred billion dollars worth of goods flows through the ecomomic.
Speaker 1: High and ends up here too, because we import that inflation.
Speaker 2: Of course we do, we import it, But what do mean crash out the US dollar? And you're starting to see that, you know, with interest rates coming down the US you're saying, you know, it's a great trade at the moment, buying the Aussie selling the US, but it'd go you know, she had the head towards parody.
Speaker 1: What about if she wins the Well, I.
Speaker 2: Mean, I don't know much better because she's talking about price controls and even derry. Yeah, she said she's going to price control groceries and everyone's going, how is that going to work? And that was the last economic policy she announced, and it's sort of faded off a bit, so no one quite knows what her economic policies are.
Speaker 1: Can I just switch direction? A little bit now and just talk about Australia because you know we're unless you're coming up, and we've got you know, we've got the RBA.
Speaker 2: We've always got lecture coming up.
Speaker 1: We seen to her. By the way, that seems to be a problem to me. You know, they did two reds.
Speaker 2: We do have stability. I mean, I'm really impressed with both the Labor Party and the Liberal Party having leadership stability, thank.
Speaker 1: God, talking in terms of Dunton and Albaniz.
Speaker 2: And they're respectful of it.
Speaker 1: Do you do you think ALBANIZI does have stability to do you think Jim's sit there? I mean that article that that storyline aitive that was written this week that Jim sort of love that Treasury paper out on negative gearing just when you happened to be going over.
Speaker 2: The Treasure has cop out all the time.
Speaker 1: They well, do you know how it works? So how did it work? How does that work? So just would if the Treasury, the Department of Treasury is doing some research on a topic, would they are they likely to be doing it on their own or would the Treasure have asked them to do it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it's a bit of both.
Speaker 1: It's a gray area. Well, because you're in business today, you've got to be careful.
Speaker 2: No, no, no, no, it's a gray area. I asked Treasury when I was there, I said, do me a tax options paper, but let me tell you what I'm not going to do one, two, three, four five, And they came up with not. I released it and you know, nothing was implemented, so you know it varies. Of course, from a budget perspective, you'll have options. So when it comes to spending money, you bring in all your colleagues and you have an expenditure Review Committee and the Finance Minister is cracking the gavel and so on. But when it comes to revenue racing.
Speaker 1: It's just the treasure.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I think that's not about idea money the Prime Minister in In fact, when I was writing my first budget speech, Tony Abbit said, mate, mate, you're going to send it to me, I'd like to have some input into the speech. I said no, really, I said no, no, no. I consulted previous treasures and I said no, you don't chart to the primary it's your speech.
Speaker 1: And what was Abbot like to work with?
Speaker 2: He was great, Yeah, yeah, he's a very very decent guy.
Speaker 1: He's quite intelligent, very smart.
Speaker 2: Very smart, he's sharp, He's a very decent guy. I wish, you know, I wish the public had to send the Tony Abbot that I know. You know, he comes across as a sort of warrior and you know, traditionalists and all that sort of stuff. But there's another Tony Abbot that people don't know, and he is a very selfless person. He's a very decent human.
Speaker 1: Man and as far as I'm aware, definitely not a misogynist, which is what trying to make out.
Speaker 2: He was in the chamber for that speech, and you know, it's been embellished and you know, become sort of an iconic for a certain cohort in the community. But he's not. He's not, I mean, but he suffered the same fate as Trump. He should have had more diversity in the cabinet and Trump should have probably run with it. He would be doing better if he had a female vice president.
Speaker 1: And when you look at politics today, I mean the bare pit, the bare pit part of politics, do you think it's descended into it into in a worse territory than it was when you were around?
Speaker 2: Or was I miss question?
Speaker 1: Tom Dear?
Speaker 2: I loved question Tom, and you know it's so good, it's so accountable. Other parliaments. You know, I've got friends in the British Parliament and all parliaments around the world and they just can't believe the Australian Parliament and you know what, the accountability is extraordinary.
Speaker 1: What do you mean they can't believe. What's the difference?
Speaker 2: Well, because because you walk in, you don't know what the questions are and it's brutal. I mean I remember, you know, I remember when the GESC was being introduced. I was responsible for that and I got ten questions in a row in question time and I'd like exhaust it, like it's like, you know, seriously flagellation on a grand scale. And everyone be going, God, ten questions, how did you do that? You know? And then I go and next day I get ten more questions. I remember John Howard slapping me on the back and saying, oh, you're losing a bit of bark, but you'll be okay, you know, and I'm like, God, was like, how do I do it? And you get the adrenaline before question time. You see, got to be on top of your brief because not only do the opposition, find out your own colleagues work out, and then the gallery and everyone else knows. You're not on top of your brief. So you need to know everything about your portfolio. And when you're the Treasurer and the Prime Minister, you need to know particularly so you know, when I delivered the fourteen budget that everyone still talks about, well, I was a great budget and the fourteen budget, you know, I said, I went on Q and A by myself on the ABC Q and A by myself, and everyone thought I was going to fail, and I was. It was Penwrith panthers, six hundred people. Apparently it was one of the highest ever rating Q.
Speaker 1: And as a friend environment Q and A.
Speaker 2: No, I wasn't a friendly environment, but I had to show that I was on top of my brief. And I have never in my life ever got such a big response as I did after that, from people saying, wow, that was you know, really important, really great you did it, and great performance and all that sort of stuff, because you had the opportunity shine in adverse circumstances, and in Parliament you can shine and get a message across when it's most hostile. It's not you can't create that environment.
Speaker 1: I got a sense that you're missing a bit of it.
Speaker 2: I miss question time. I mean I don't mind that, you know, I don't mind the tough questions and so on, like I want to be on top of my game. And you know, but America would be so much better if it had its cabinet subject to that cross examination on the floor of Congress. They do it a bit in the Senate hearings and so on, but you know, that's just one hour every four months, six months, you know, whereas question times every day of Parliament. Sitting in the British Parliament, they again, they don't do it every day. They have Prime Minister's questions once every two weeks or one week or something like that. So I think Australia has a great democracy and great accountability. It's one of the reasons why we've got so little corruption. That's why we do have a really good police system.
Speaker 1: And if I was to ask you now, Joe said, it's only based on what you know so far. What do you think will happen in the election next year Australia.
Speaker 2: Oh, well, it's obviously going to be close. Firstly, do not believe that a government cannot lose in the first term.
Speaker 1: It can.
Speaker 2: And Anthony Alberese wasn't elected with the majorities that Howard had in ninety six, that rud had in two thousand and seven, or that Abbott had in twenty thirteen. We had twenty thirty seats. He's got I think five or six right, so you can lose very quickly. The second thing is you've got to have an agenda, and I think Peter Dutton has done a great job and rolling out the agenda controversial at times, but everyone it really does know what Peter Dutton stands for. And I think and Anthony Alberz he's a very decent guy. I mean, he's a made of mind to be honest, and you know, he's a very he needs to have something that he's going to fight for. And the hardest election I ever forore Man, you remember it GST election eight, Oh my god, and it was just absolute conviction. I just like to I couldn't stand. I was campaigning and when the butcher at Cameray told me, you know, he grilled me on the GST for like an hour and a half and on one vote and I'm working over time. He speaks to people that come in. And then he said, I hate the bloody thing. I'm not going to I'm not going to support it. And then as I'm walking out, he said, oh all right, I'll vote for you. I thought I was just exhausted, right, and I thought, oh my god, if we've had the courage to go to the electorate with something that is unpopular but it's absolutely the right thing for Australian. When we won, I was so elated more than any other time because I restored my faith in the Australian popular.
Speaker 1: So would you think that? But what what controversial topic or controver a sure conviction that either one of the parties should be going to the election with. I mean, I mean, as nuclear is one, But what other thing is there something that you reckon would be a winner?
Speaker 2: Well, I think you've got to show Australians how you're going to make their lives better, what's for me? And well, yeah, that's right, and that's fair enough. I mean, that's that's the world we've grown up in living. And but the thing is, it's not always going to be ice cream and lollies. Sometimes you're going to have your veggies and it's the courage to say to people, actually, we're going to have to do some hard yards here. Now. I admit twenty fourteen my budget, you know, I tried to do that, and what people said, you know, maybe it was my failure, maybe it was our failure, whatever the case, maybe it didn't prepare the ground. But in that budget, you know, think of it. I was, I was, I was murder for a five dollar co payment to go and see a doctor.
Speaker 1: This is a sterity period, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And I said, if we don't fix the roof now while the sun shining, then we're going to end up in work shape for and like you know what happened. Now, how much does it cost to go and see a doctor? Right? Forty dollars? Fifty dollars? People are telling me, yeah, that's right. If we had have got that through, it would have had some semblance of co payment. And by the way, six million people were excluding from any payment, right, so that was lost and then you know, more of a work for the doll and a few things that we had a lot of them actually went through from the fourteen budget. It just took a few years. But there are other things. You look at Western Sydney airport that was that budget. No government had the balls to do it for fifty sixty years, and the Abbot Hockey government did. And now, I mean I was so proud. I saw Albert Easy yesterday say yes, I'm so proud of that. Right, I'm so proud of it. West Connects, Stage two, some of these things around Sydney. Every city in Australia got some infrastructure. The Medical Research Future Fund. I nearly died trying to get that up and it got up. Now when I hear a maid of mine who's a professor an eye surgery, he's now he got forty million dollars from that fund to build an eye and he's close to it. He's really, that's exactly what we're doing. We're investing in our health. So there are things you do in politics. And I'd love my children to go into politics. I'd love anyone's children, anyone to go into politics. Is you can make a difference, you really can. And you know what, They're not going to build monuments to you, but you just got to look around and you see a better quality of life and that's all worth it for everyone.
Speaker 1: And quick prediction in the US.
Speaker 2: Made too close to call.
Speaker 1: I mean, oh, it's that close.
Speaker 2: It is really that close. So because of the electoral system, Harris needs to win the national vote by about three percent, two to three percent. She's polling two one and a half to two I have on the If enthusiasm were the pole, she'd be through the roof Trump. I think of everyone that's going to vote for Harris is going to tell you. I reckon five out of one hundred that are voting for Trump won't tell you. And that's been proven in the past.
Speaker 1: So therefore polls aren't correct.
Speaker 2: Now his poles are not correct. I think hers are probably correct where she's at, but I think they're underestimating him by varying from place to place one to three percent.
Speaker 1: Because people are not ashamed, but maybe embarrassed.
Speaker 2: To Also they don't want to tell it because they fear they're going to be, you know, ostracized and smash. I mean twenty twenty, I remember speaking to people in the richest area of Houston and they said, come down and that was one of the rare places you could go during that period, and they're all, you know Biden signed. I said, Oh my god, I said, if Biden's you know, he's going to rob at home if this demography and they said, oh god, we never put a Trump sign up, would be our house would be egged and everything else. That area voted seventy percent Trump. Wow, So you know, like it's it's it's a very hard to read. I mean Wisconsin last election, they underestimated Trump's vote by five percent in two thousand and six and it was about seven percent. You know, they underestimated it. So and Wisconsin is a key state. So I think it's incredibly close. And the House and the Senate are incredibly close as well. So you know, I met with a delegation this morning. The two Republicans told me they thought it's probable that Harris might win. And the two Democrats me, they thought, there.
Speaker 1: You go and joe Es fine, mate, are you enjoy your life?
Speaker 2: Oh? Man I am. I like it's you know, I've been blessed. Mane. I'm the son of a Palestinian refugee came to Australia, never thought he'd ever get a chance to live a life. Met a pix model from BONDI got to name my firm Bondi.
Speaker 1: Apartment Peaks Pias model being the amazing Peak magazine picks.
Speaker 2: Yes it was.
Speaker 1: They were always in the barbershop and in the dentists, in the doctor well.
Speaker 2: It was respectable those days. It was like fashions in the nineteen thirties and the nineteen forties, from nineteen forties and fifties. And I wouldn't you know. I pinched myself how lucky I am. And you know when I go to Washington, I got great mates in the White House and outside the White House. And you know, I still have conversations with people where I go. I can't believe I'm listening to this.
Speaker 1: And do you see the current ambassador? Do you have much to do with Kemi?
Speaker 2: I do? I do? I do I do? And you know Kevin of course I was on Sutrise with him for ten years, right Morning TV, and we're union, yeah, and I love taking the mickey out of.
Speaker 1: It, but do to pologics drop away then when he takes over the ambassadorship and you sort of.
Speaker 2: It's Team Australia, always know, no matter what, no matter what. Kim Beasley was great to me, all of us, you know, Chipping after Arthur was after me. Everyone. Arthur's great and no, it's Australia first, always and as it should be right. And so I, you know, kept telling major Republicans and Trump people that Kevin's a good man and he's doing the right thing by Australia and he's got Australian support and that's what you do.
Speaker 1: But hasn't helped by what he said in the past.
Speaker 2: But no, and you know, but Trump's got a long list before he gets to Kevin r But I'll tell you a funny story. He's like, you know, I, for my sins did Q and A. You know, just before he was announced and Stan Grant asked me, he said, you know who should be the ambassador replace artist? I said, oh, I don't want to get into it. And he said, come on, you know and I said, well, maybe Julia Gillard or something. He says, what about Kevin Rudd? And I said, well, I thought we liked the Americans. Kevin was verb Oh God. So I'm sitting at the couch and hi, joke Kevin, I'm coming over. He comes over and second bottle of wide started. He said, why do you hate me? I said, no, no hate you. He said, why did you say that? You know, like I said, mate, you're going to have a sense of humor after all these years, let's have a sense of humor here, Like I've had another bottle. So, you know, he and he's doing a great job. He really is. He's you know, it adds enormous gravitas to have a form prime minister as ambassador. As I say, he finally got the promotion, and then and then the thing is, you know, he has worked really hard at it, and I've defended him publicly and that's awkward for some of my team back in Australia in politics, but it's the right thing to do. He is, he's been doing a good job.
Speaker 1: Well made, You're doing a great job. You did, You're you're one. I've always been a fan of Joe Hockey, as you know, but you've done a great job for us, both in politics in Australia but also representing in America and what you're doing with your business these days. I'm hearing all the stories, and I hear lots of people talk to me, lots of people tell me about what Bondo Partners are doing outside of you know, outside of our usual group of friends. I hear your name raised a lot to make Congratulations and well done and things.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you a leaf out of your if I would be one tenth of successful. Mate is Mark Burris. I'll tell you what I'll be happy.
Speaker 1: I tell you where you are successful. You're still married and you've got a lovely family mate. You're a hundred times more successful. Might well?
Speaker 2: I love to me quite the same, Yea, they do. Thank you so much,