Speaker 1: I'll get a team, your bloody champions. Welcome to another installment of the You Project. It's fatty Harps, it's jumbo, it's ripped in rock hard cook over there at typ Central with biceps like a man. You're allowed to say that, Probably not, I hope. So all right. Gusa's waving is nodding and shaking his head.
Speaker 2: I would. There are plenty of people out there that way. But we all take ourselves a bit too seriously, don't we.
Speaker 1: I think we do. We'll too freely admit she is. What's your current percentage of being a man? Thirty percent?
Speaker 2: Yeah, thirty thirty five some days.
Speaker 1: Thirty thirty five. Well that's funny because I'm thirty thirty five percent woman. So between the three of us, who knows what the fuck we are? Hi, Gus, welcome to the You Project.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much. Thank you for having me in episode seventeen hundred and something. You eventually got to me. I appreciate it.
Speaker 1: Well, I mean, you know, bottom of the barrel. But we do what we can. No, that's not true. As I said to you before, I just built up six years of skill and knowledge and insights so that I would be ready, So today's the day.
Speaker 2: Okay, that's great. I'm looking forward to chatting to you, and thanks for having me.
Speaker 1: It's a pleasure. You are a big deal, as Melissa said to me, Melissa is both of our bosses. She's TIFF's boss and my loss. She's the actual boss. And she said to me about three hours ago, remember you've got Gus And I'm like, yep, She goes, do you know who Guss is? I go a little bit, she goes, you should do some research. He's a big deal. So do you feel like a big deal?
Speaker 2: No, not at all. And I love the fact that what I'm doing has got some impact and people tell me that, But no, not at all. There are times where people recognize me and that's nice, but I'd much prefer to just allow myself to get on and do the work. But yeah, I'd be wrong to say that I wasn't a little bit tough. When people come up to you and say you've helped me and stuff, that's a part of it, for sure.
Speaker 1: When you set out in your media career or when you started doing what you ended up doing. But in the genesis of that, did you have any inkling or idea or intention that you would have the reach and impact that you did and do.
Speaker 2: I think probably. I was thirty eight before I got my first gig in media, so I'd already had a bit of a life, three children, eight pregnancies to have those children. My wife and I've been through a lot.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And my wife is English, so she was always away from home, or I was in England and I was away from home, So there was a lot going on in that thirty eight years. And I think that's why it works so well. Initially when I got into medias because I was actually an adult in adverted commerce and it wasn't the make or break for me. But of course you want it to be successful when someone gives you an opportunity. And I'm glad as of last Thursday it was sixteen years and I pulled the pin and I'm very happy to be doing the next thing that I'm meant to be doing. But now I'd never thought. I remember Triple M said to me, if this doesn't work this show, we're going to be the Triple M label up. We're going to keep the frequency, but we're going to call it something else because this is last Chance Saloon and I'm happy to say that it worked out really, really well, but I never really expected to have it. But once you realize you've got it, then you've got this soapbox to make a real difference, not just to tell fart jokes and have fun on the radio. You can actually stand up at some point and go I believe in something, and I wonder if our loyal audience will go with me.
Speaker 1: So you're saying you're the Triple M Messiah that if not for you? Is that what you're saying? Like you're like the Jesus of the airways.
Speaker 2: Hallelujah. There's no doubt in my mind that was the co hosts as well as me, and as well as a whole lot of as you know, smart people behind the behind the man behind the microphone.
Speaker 1: I do have a quick, quick, not that interesting story about your co host, Jude Bolton. Is he still your co host?
Speaker 2: He was up until last Thursday. My brother jud absolutely, he would.
Speaker 1: Not remember me, but I remember him so when he was a fledgling AFL player he had to play. His part of his coming into the system was playing at Port Melbourne in the VFL, right, and I was at that stage the strength and conditioning coach for that team, and I saw him run around and went, this bloke doesn't belong here. He doesn't belong here. He's like fucking way too good. So he ended up, of course, being a superstar. But how do you know, mate, when like sixteen years and it's not like things are going bad for you, Like things are still going great, radio is going great. I assume it seems to me we're in a different state. But I only hear and read great things, Like how do you know when it's time to step away from something? What's happening?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 1: Is it emotional? Is it psychological? Is there a light bulb? Is it a gradual thing? Is it a moment in time?
Speaker 2: I think for me last year, I signed a one year deal. And every time you're in this gig, you want to get the longest deal you possibly can because that gives you security and it gives you, Oh, I've got the next two or three years lined up, empty nesters, now got your for life. My foundation is going from strength to strength. So I said, I'm going to go for a one year deal and see what happens. And I was always going to do one year that I got a little bit of like, oh God, I'm going to muck this up if I if I don't do another couple of years, I've got a bit scared. And eventually I said, nope, no, I'm doing it. And I was at Rio Tinto in northern Western Australia watching a sunrise one morning because I was up because of the time difference from Sydney, and it was a beautiful orange sky and I was about to go and see these bunch of miners and talk about mental fitness, and I went, I feel alive. I feel this is what I should be doing. And I kept thinking about all the content for the radio show that I had to do the next time I was on it, and I thought, you know what, I got two masters now, and I'm not probably doing justice to either. So at one point he's got to a call. So I rang the missus and she said go for it, and so yeah, I got your for life now. As my foundation is my full time gig. I'm just back from Perth this morning, where I've been there for the weekend and I love doing that. I'm going to miss the radio. I'm going to miss my team. And it's never say never, right, It's just for the time being. That's that's what I've decided.
Speaker 1: Okay, So tell us about gotcha for life?
Speaker 2: I lost a maid of mine, a mentor. He took his own life on the day that his third and final child finished their final exams.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 2: And I did nothing about it. For many many years. I had worked with him. He was my mentor, father figure, loved him and seemed to be type of bloke that we all know that just ticks every box look and bloke, married children, status inside of work, outside of work, had it all and absolutely not just all for six. I did nothing about it for many years, and then eventually I spoke about him on my Brecky radio show team on Triple M and Sydney, and the next ninety minutes people rang up saying me too, I've got a story like that. And it made me realize how many people worry alone and this man up, shut up is not working for us. And then I looked at the stats around suicide and depression and anxiety and I couldn't believe it. So I was able to get some money from the ABC did a show called man Up, which challenged masculinity and why we lose so many blokes to suicide. And then off the back of that, my wife and I literally in this room here at our home started gotcha for life, and I just want everyone to find someone who's got you for life. You can have that, Watson, all conversation with These conversations can change your life, but we don't know how to have them. So we need to learn how to have these conversations of gravity. We're very comfortable in banter because we practiced that. Yes, so this emotional muscle in our melon needs to be worked and I call it mental fitness rather than mental health. And I want to have a positive conversation around this and get the suicide breat down to zero. At the moment, we lose nine Aussies a day and we have one attempt every eight minutes. So I don't want to live in Australia like that. So got your flight. We started. We've raised just over twenty million bucks, no government funding. Wow, it's all mums and dads five bucks, ten bucks, twenty bucks, and a couple of big corporations who have gone I love your simple, less clinical way of looking at mental fitness, so we're going to get behind you.
Speaker 1: That is amazing, mate, Those numbers are bloody incredible twenty million dollars. And I know this is not about you, but well done you, I mean that is and I know you're not doing it forraccolades or recognition or attention or approval, but fuck, that's amazing. And yeah, I think it is interesting that what you said. It's like, I really I think you said something like a practical approach. It's like, yeah, there's so much especially when it comes to mental health. There's so much research and more research, and let's throw money at research and let's do another fucking study and let's come out with some more findings from this, and we need all of that. But at the same time, give someone a fucking hug, have a chat, have a conversation, ask someone how they feel, and so why has it been so successful? Like what is it that? Why does it work where so many don't.
Speaker 2: What you said is right, Clinical is not the way to go. Human is the way to go. And especially when you talk to men, as soon as you talk about mental health, they feel like they're about to be told off. You said, there's something wrong with me, and that's not the case at all. In fact, we've just been taught to man up and shut up and get on with it. And it's just wrong. Every TV ad we see, every movie, TV show, it's all about the bloke dealing with the stuff and getting on with it. You know. It's like, it's just not what it's like in reality. And it's not just a men's issue. It started off that way for sure. We lose seven men a day in Australia, we lose two women. Most of the people that are attempt to women. So this is a problem that's a human issue. I did a TED talk in Vancouver the last couple of years and I'm like, every single person is the same, no matter what color, what race, what language you speak. We're all human beings and we need connection and we need to feel confident to stick your hand up and ask for help. And we've been told basically all our lives that that is weak. And if you had a process that led you to what we get, you would change that process in business. So why aren't we changing it in life? I use the World Health Organization numbers when I did my TED talk, nineteen hundred and twenty people a day take their life in forty thousand attempt Now, I don't want to live in in a world like that. I've got three children with empty nesters now, kid's two in London, one in Canada. I want them to live their life and feel that they can talk to someone warts and all find that village of people around you. See, you're not worrying alone about stuff. So let's keep it as simple as that. To keep it as simple as that, it's not clinical. Well, it's not mental health. It's mental fitness, just like our physical fitness. We can give you exercises to work on it to get better. And it's not easy, believe me, it's not easy. But start with a simple who are my people? Yes, my village, who's my tribe? Who's my team? And get see him on board with you know what. I'm going to come to you with some stuff because I'm bumbling and fumbling my way through here. I've got some stuff worked out, other stuff not so much. Can you do the same with me? And that way our little village will always look after each other. It seems simple, but it's bloody hard to do to get the words out to ask for that help. They get stuck here. We need to we need to get people to have those conbos.
Speaker 1: He's not quite passionate enough. Tif isy.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he needs to work on that.
Speaker 1: It needs to fire up. He needs to find some passion because I'm getting nothing made. No, I fucking love it. It's great, it's great. It's like, this is what I love. Like I said to you, and you didn't need me to brief you, but I said everyone before, with most guests, nearly every guest, I say, it's not an interview, it's a conversation. And that's what I love. You know what else is? And this one comes any.
Speaker 2: Surprise to you.
Speaker 1: But speaking of research, there's lots of research out now suggesting that, Like when so my background as an exercise scientist, right, I'll talk about health and wellness and fitness, and you know, talk a lot about lifestyle and sleep and nutrition and exercise and the relationship between that those variables and longevity and health span and immune system. And what we now know is that loneliness and disconnection and mental and emotional devastation are more problematic from a physical health point of view than bad lifestyle behaviors. You know, it's like being lonely, feeling unseen, unloved, unwanted, unvalued. That actually has a real physical consequence in terms of people's predisposition to getting sick and diseased and even their immune system as we can because everything psychologically or mentally we can say emotionally and physiologically is intertwined. And so when you connect with the person inside the body, not the body, but connect with the human you know, then you're actually not ondoing the obvious thing, which is supporting them emotionally and mentally, but also you're literally doing something good for their physical health, which people don't really think about too much.
Speaker 2: I love the link between the physical fitness and the mental fitness, and that's what I talked to kids about. We saw over two hundred thousand kids last year doing programs, and when you talk about mental fitness, you see them nodding along. Yeah, we've just started to mentally fit primary schools program. We've got four schools, we'll have twenty next year. Kids are nodding along. They get it, and then they start making a little song up where they can do their muscles like that around mental fitness, and it just connects people. And I think we're going to learn from the youngsters. The oldies will learn from the youngsters with this because there's so much better than we were. And I love the thought of that. I love the thought of mental fitness being a subject at school. So many subjects that are there because they've always been there, because that's what we do. We tick a box to get to the end, to get us a mark, to get us into an exam, or get us into a unicorse, or get us into whatever. Let's start having some practical subjects that actually help the boys and girls, the men and the women. You know, That's that's what drives me nuts, is that I feel like it's an approach that we can deal with and we're just not doing it enough.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I completely agree. My PhD research is around, loosely around understanding others, you know, understanding. So there's a thing in psychology called theory of mind, which just means your ability, my ability to be able to understand someone else's version of reality, essentially their psychological and or emotional version of right now, not necessarily agree with it or align with it, but understand it. And you know, I think Stephen Covey and a bunch of others said, seek first to understand and then to be understood, Right, is it like when I can understand you, like I work with addx and alcoholics, many of them over the years, and I've never had booze and I've never had drugs. But because I've spent so much time with people struggling with addiction, I understand them, I love them, and I don't need to drink or use to be able to connect because I you know. And that's that. If you just come from that place of not trying to judge, not trying to evaluate, not trying to label, but just understand, knowing that you won't align on everything with people, it just opens a door and it opens this conduit for connection. And when people feel seen and loved, even though they might not live the values you live or the lifestyle you live, like that creates something special that, as you said, in all the clinical stuff doesn't really happen.
Speaker 2: I mean curiosity to go on top of what you just did there, which of course I agree with, and I tip my lid to you for working in that area curiosity. As soon as I started becoming curious rather than oh no, that's not the way it is. It's like I lived in this bubble for years, you know, me losing my friend and going on this journey and starting the man Up program and having enough guts to talk about it on radio and to realize how many other people worry alone this whole journey. Now I'm curious to find out why people are doing certain things, or why they feel a certain way, or why they say a certain way. Where As before I lived in this bubble where I was very judgmental and my parenting was old school, because that's what I've learned from my mum and dad. So yeah, that opening it up to curiosity is well. I think made my life so much better and has given me an opportunity, I think to understand and work better with people, which will allow me to make gotcha more successful?
Speaker 1: Isn't it interesting? Mate? When you grow up in a certain paradigm or a certain and kind of culture or collective mindset, which we all do, right, We've all got parents, We all grew up in a particular social group or cultural or religious or whatever, and essentially your worldview is their worldview. You know, by the time you're twenty, you think and believe essentially what your parents thought and believed. Because we for the most part, we don't choose our beliefs, they just become our beliefs. You know, almost like by cognitive osmosis, we just absorbed them, right. But then you get to the point where I'm listening to a really interesting book at the moment. Do you know what's his name? Is it? Tom Tilley?
Speaker 2: Yeah? I know Tom? Yeah he is. He's a media guy. You're talking.
Speaker 1: Yeah, So he wrote a book called Speaking in Tongues, and it's really interesting about him growing up in this very strict Pentecostal you know, not Pentecostal, but very orthodox, you know church with anyway, the whole thing, which is not totally dissimis and not dissimilar to my story. So I'm fascinated with it. But just this idea of what do I know or what do I think or what do I believe that that hasn't been programmed into me? Like what if you can overcome? Like what where does my programming and finish finish? And where do I start?
Speaker 2: You know?
Speaker 1: Then you know that I feel like you start to think for yourself and look at the world through a different lens, one other than the one that's been created for you.
Speaker 2: Yeah. That's a really good point, really good point, I think personally, certainly in that first twenty odd years or so. I was one of those kids. My dad left the family home when I was quite young, I realized and that he left my mum for a man. I didn't work that out until I was in my late teens. I was just jump into the box, right, I'm safe in the box. I will get my Mirite certificate at the end of term, I will make the team. If I go to practice, I will do all that stuff. And it's probably from my early twenties where I started to try to work stuff out for myself and got a bit more curious, and then certainly from forty five and I'm fifty six in December. The last ten years, this journey I've been on, I've certainly stripped back a lot of the stuff, but I think was just put into me. And I've actually now got to the point where I can teach my children what I've gone through, and I'm very open for them to have a different opinion. I suppose that's something that didn't happen in our generation, when we were more just sort of sheepish.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm only thirty two, so I don't know what you're talking about, But okay, sure hard, you know I've done it hard. Bro, I've done a lot of trauma.
Speaker 2: Something wrong with this zoom it's really quite working.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well, Tip's only twenty one, she's at a shocker, so.
Speaker 2: Don't very involved.
Speaker 1: All right, all right, I think we're both throwing me under the bus and I fucking love it. So tell me one thing in this whole kind of journey of doing new things and learning new things and unlearning old things, what's something you needed to unlearn to build what you've built?
Speaker 2: Yeah? Well, certainly the most important thing that I talk about all the time is don't worry alone. And there's so many men and women, boys and girls that I talk to that worry alone all the time, and they don't quite know how to not worry alone about it. It's so embedded in their gut that they've pushed it down so much that's got to the point where they don't know how to actually communicate that to someone that they need the help. And also they don't feel they've got permission to ask for the help. So breaking that particular thing down will be a huge part of building mental fitness, I believe. And there's been moments where I've bumbled and fumbled and with not running out of my nose and tears running out of my eyes. Actually got something out to a group of mates and they've just all stopped and gone, mate, I had no idea. I thought you were flying, or I thought you had that part of your life dealt with. We know you've always working on stuff, but we really thought that wasn't an issue for you. And then, of course the first sentence I get out is the hardest, and everything else then becomes easier, especially when you've got people around you that you love. I've spent so much time in my life building this village of mates that I can have these warts and all conversations with and there's no judgment. And they all don't agree with me, they all throw up different curve balls at me, but the conversation is real and it's with love and that sort of stuff, and that's what I believe we need. We talk in the time all the time around Australia. We've got all these mates, mates, mates, mates. Well, we've got people we drink with, we've got people we go to the footy with, we go people we party with. But how many people do we actually have in our lives that you can actually go I need your help over here and having those real conversations. And it's not because we don't necessarily want to that we don't know how to do it. Are you okay? You came up with the slogan, and I love are you Okay? Don't get me wrong. I work with them a lot around their time of year, and it says a conversation can save a life. Absolutely it can. But how do you have the conversation? How do you start the conversation? That's what gotcha life is trying to do, and that's what I'm very, very proud of. But to answer you, that's a long way of answering that question, I suppose, But really it's getting vulnerable and leading with vulnerability rather than thinking, oh no, I'm not going to do that because that's traditionally not the way to do it. Nah, that's not for me, and that's not for the world I'm trying to help change.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I love it. I think something that people find interesting about people like you, And I could be wrong, but myself, I do a lot of corporate speaking. I'm in front of audiences more than a hundred times a year, so I'm in front of groups, big groups, little groups, and when I tell people that I'm insecure, I'm an overthinker, or I've got self doubt, or I can self sabotage, or you know, like people think because people like you and I paps are articulate and we can string a few words together and we can do what we do with some sense of competence and confidence that you don't have any doubt or any fear or I'm like, no, I'm just as insecure as ever. Just I'm just fucking great at I can string a few words together. It doesn't mean that there's no self doubt or self loathing or imposter syndrome. That shit, shit happens all the time. But for me, it's been able to co manage, you know, the emotional stuff which is fear based, with also the data, the knowledge that well, Craig, you can do this because you've done it before and you're not the best, but you're not terrible.
Speaker 2: Right.
Speaker 1: So it's like, because I think some people think, oh, if people knew what went on in my head, ah, people I'd think I was this or that, But that's essentially all of us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I had it coming on to your show today. So a little bit of research that my team did with you is that it's a top rated science podcast, right, and that whole word science is like, oh god, I haven't done that since I've been at school, and throw all these cuples at me that I won't be able to explain in the way that I like to explain it, and will his podcast listeners, his loyal listeners not like the fact that I'm not sort of clinical or scientist in that sort of way. So that was one thing I had this morning. Also at the moment at Gotcha for Life, we're building a team of speakers that can go out and chat. They're more facilitators because it's back and forth. But the best thing I ever did was actually say to them how scared I get. And it's true scared when I get up in front of people, or the thought of getting up in people. The actual getting up doesn't seem to be that bad in the end. I remember getting up in front of a big crowd once and I was petrified all the way there, you know, had a little bit of road rage on the way there because I wasn't thinking clearly and all that. And then I got to the place and I walked up and I shook the hand of the organizer, and she said, good, Hey, I can't wait to hear you speaking. Everything just flowed and I'm like, why do I put myself through all this mental trauma? No, you can do it. You've done it before. And talk about imposter syndrome. There's people that I know that are super famous who go through exactly the same thing, Like when is this ride going to finish? When someone going to just push me off the board and go, Okay, you've had your fun, but we've actually worked out that you're not very good at this. It's just that's just the way it is. And I think if we can conquer that emotion that we put ourselves through before we actually do it, you'd be a billionaire if you could bottle that.
Speaker 1: And I think it's also it's okay to go I'm scared, and that's all right. I feel like a fraud, and that's all right. I don't like if I sit at home and until I feel fucking good enough, I'm never doing any I'm never leaving the house.
Speaker 2: I couldn't agree with you more. And when I told that group of got to fight guys and girls that we're building at the moment, that's the one thing they remembered from like an hour's chat was like, get you get scared You're worried about what you're going to do, And I'm like absolutely, and they went, well, thank god for that, because I feel the same way that we can then work on it and it'll be okay. It's that leading with vulnerability piece that I keep going back to.
Speaker 1: So funny that your team told you it's high rating sign show and I'm about as sophisticated as a fucking moccasin, So that's it's still it's funny.
Speaker 2: It's funny you should say that because when we had the chat with Fifth before we all started, I soon realized that all those worries I had, I shouldn't have worried about.
Speaker 1: One hundred percent. So I feel like this could be wrong, But just looking from from the outside looking in, I feel like you're moving away, sort of moving away from career and moving into purpose.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Purpose is key for me. I felt like I've moved there. But as I said earlier, I've had two masters for too long. And you can't have a top rated drive show and not be one hundred percent at the races, and you can't be running a small foundation that's trying to play with the big guns. Yea without your full attention. But the purpose part of me really started when I said yes to the Man Up program, because that was the next step from me just talking to my very company radio audience sitting in my studio. All of a sudden, I was out there asking questions of Ossie's and not knowing what the answers would be. And that's when I realized that this is not just a job, This is not just hosting a TV show. This this is the real deal. And now eight years on from that, I'm so pleased that I had the to keep going for it. You know, and your work in suicide prevention. I don't think there's a more important conversation to be had. So that's that purpose comes to you real quick.
Speaker 1: Within the context of the charity. It's charity, right, so I call it that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, foundation charity foundation?
Speaker 1: Do you have KPIs like in a business like do you have do you say this is where we I don't know the particular outcomes that you want to did it just put on the Doris Day filter.
Speaker 2: Tip, I think so, I don't know what's going on there. So it's coming back is that maybe it's bloody hot in Sydney at the moment, so it might be just a bit hot.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, liked do you kind of run it in a way like a business, not in terms of trying to make dough for yourself, but in terms of the way that it runs.
Speaker 2: Definitely, like I reckon the first few years, it was all about whatever money comes in, money's got to go out straight out to the people that we're that we have trusted to put the work in. And then there was a shift a couple of years ago where we have to actually build the foundation to make sure that we have the right foundations in the foundation. That's a lot of foundations to make sure that we're around for the next whatever. And it's not just going to be me and my wife, it's going to be the next lot of people and so forth. So there's a lot that goes into that, and there's a lot of feeling of like, oh, I want to give every cent away. Well, I'll do much better work in five years time if I put some good people in there with me now working with it. So that's the dilemma that you have as long as you are giving most of the money away more than most. Then I'm fine with it. It's the way of making sure that you are bigger in the future to make even more of an impact.
Speaker 1: I reckon if you're building you know, you're building a charity or a foundation, or a business or a program, or you're writing a book or you're trying to get a podcast off the ground or whatever. It is like you're taking a theoretical something in your head and turning it into a real thing in the world that people can interact with. Yeah, like there are similar there. There's you know, like before the You Project, which goes okay, I had three other shows that didn't you know, and trying to and even for this the first six hundred episodes, I was losing money and so trying to figure out how do I do a good thing and not go broke? How do I how do I have something that's commercially viable but also people like it's good to listen to. It's a bit of fun. There's some good information and inspiration, but it's not you know, that whole kind of what did you get wrong? Like what did you without throwing you or anyone under the bus, what did you fuck up? And what did you think, why did I think that would work?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I suppose when you're like I've always been a one start before you're ready, because if you, like you said before, if you waited at your home, you'd never get out. You never do anything right. So you just have a crack get out there. And that's when the mistakes made. Having people that you know that our mate's involved initially as the board members or as advisors, that type of stuff. That's not the way it is now for me. If you look at my board now, there are a bunch of people that have got particular skills that they may not be the greatest mates, but they're absolutely committed to gotcha for life and so forth. So that is one thing that I did, absolutely realizing that we have to go younger, like we've been targeting fourteen, fifteen, sixteen, seventeen year olds, which is absolutely required, but we've really got to get into primary school. So we've just started that mental primary school situation. So there's just learnings as you go along. So I don't call them fuck ups as much as oh gave that a crack That worked for a lot of them, but not absolutely where we need to go now. And of course you haven't got all the money in the world right, you're literally always out like Oliver, So it's like more please. So whatever I can get with that, I've got to put into something, which means you've got to drop a few things and focus on others. But I wouldn't call the mistakes as much as just learnings along the way. And if you're not doing that, then you're probably not having enough of a crack. Like That's the other thing that I have to keep talking to people about is that we're trying to literally change the world here. Every single nation, every single culture basically has this not when it comes to being vulnerable. Yes, we have to try to change that. And where it's a little you know foundation in Australia. So how we're going to do that, Well, I get on the TED stage. That's good because millions of people watch that. That's bloody great. What else can I do? I got invited to talk to the un Well, I'm going to do that. That'll be bloody great because a few people watch that. Being authentic and real along this journey, but picking the moments to really have a crack when you've got a chance, and then hopefully not having imposter syndrome and stuffing it up, you know, hoping you have your best day when you have those moments gifted to you.
Speaker 1: Now, I had a squizze at your your podcast. I had to listen, and I don't want to be disparaging, but I feel like it's just an excuse for you to hang out with your friends. I feel like it's a bit of bullshit because it's just you and your famous fucking friends hanging out. And I'm very jealous TIV. So you know that you're a big deal when your first guest is one of the biggest movie stars in the world. Right, Well, that's just not fucking fair. That's like being on Oh I've got a podcast also, I'm on steroids.
Speaker 2: I mean, it was fun to have jack O obviously on the first one. But we've been best mates since kindergarten, and we went to Pimball Public together. Then we left there and the fourth grade and went the last two years of a prep school, then a senior school. Then we did our gap year, you know, in each other's wedding parties, godfathers to each other's firstborn. So yeah, we've I mean, Hugh Jackman obviously would be well known to your listeners, but to me, he's just literally Jacko and someone who I call a brother of another mother. And it was important to hit the podcast world with a bit of a sledgehammer, and it was nice to have him. But to be honest with you, I've enjoyed every single one of those conversations and the fact that Shaw and Partners who support me, they give ten thousand dollars to any guest, and that guest has to give it to a charity. I mean, I don't think there's another podcast in the world that has that type of thing. So of course it makes people go, well, how can I possibly say no to a forty minute conversation where I can give ten thousand dollars to a cause I love. So I'm in a very lucky situation, Craig. So don't don't don't think that I don't know.
Speaker 1: That, mate, I'm fucking with you. I listened to a couple and it's really good and we've had a few common guests. One of my favorite guests in seventeen hundred plus was Charlie Teo, and I see you had him on as well.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's absolute learn a tick, but he's crazy but he's opirational.
Speaker 1: Crazy man.
Speaker 2: If I had something wrong with someone that I loved or myself, I know I'd be calling.
Speaker 1: So just quickly everyone the show is called Not an Overnight Success, will wind up mate. But of course success is different things to different people, and it's not always a thing. Sometimes it's a combination of things. But from the host of Not an Overnight Success, what is success for you?
Speaker 2: That's a really good question. It's never linear, that's for sure, and that's probably what my podcast is about. You know. It's like, very rarely do you go from A to B. There's always rabbit holes and sniper shots from left, right and center. But the people that tend to succeed are the ones that never ever give up. So that has been a big part of what I'm trying to do in my life, never giving up of the dream of zero suicides. And I know that I've said that out loud plenty of times and I get how down for it. But one's too many, right, So one's too many, then it's got to be zero, and I've got to be working towards that. So tess for me is a lot of things I would like to think if you interviewed my three kids that they would say, I wouldn't want anyone else to be my dad. Yeah, and that is true success. Whether you get the same answer from my wife of thirty years, whether she'd say, oh, like I sawt of think the other day, if the person that you're sleeping with is not the most annoying person in your life and you haven't got the right one right. So that made me feel really good because I'm like, I'm sure that I'm that for my wife. So there's a whole lot of things. I love being my dad, love being a good hubby. As you can tell, I can't imagine a world continuing with these suicide rates. So I'm going to do whatever I can to fix that or to help with that, and that would be success. But I've got a lot of personal stuff that I always want to be working on, and that'll keep me busy.
Speaker 1: Truly, you are an inspiration and such a good bloke and it's a pleasure for us and an honor for us to chat with you on our humble little show where Hugh Jackman is never fucking coming near this show, but we appreciate. We'll say goodbye a fair but mate, really appreciate you for having the chat on the you project.
Speaker 2: My pleasure see you, Tiff, Thanks Greg.
Speaker 1: Thank you. All right everyone, I've jumped back in, sorry about that. We were going to say goodbye, and then I realized that i'd selfishly I was thinking about my chicken sandwich, and I'd thrown Gus out the door before I could let him share with you how you can connect with him and find out what he's doing. So, mate, I apologize for that, But what would you like to share with our team?
Speaker 2: You don't need to apologize at all, mate, I was enjoying the chat. I forgot about it too, So I mean in terms of gotcha for life, it's got your for life dot org. We've got a mentally fit Jim so Mentalfitnessjim dot org, which is free. You can just click on there and or give you a little mental fitness tips and stuff. And I've also got a book coming out called Boys Do Cry, and it's about a little boy. It's sort of set for sort of three, four, five, six seven year olds, but I'm hoping the parents or the cares might get a little tip along the way. It starts with a little boy who goes to school and a space and a space shift lends on his toe, which is not a great start to your day, and then his day doesn't get any better, and it goes through a bit of a process until eventually he realizes, if I just show my emotions, my life might get a little better, or my day might get a little better. So it's only twelve bucks. You can pre order it anywhere, and I'm very proud of that that comes out in February, so there might be something for any of the listeners that have got younger kids. It's called Boys Do Cry, So yeah, any help would be great. Every single cent of that book will go straight to Gotcha for Life, so you'll be sort of helping a good cause.
Speaker 1: Mate, We appreciate you, and for the second time, thanks for being on the You Project.