Speaker 1: Matthew, We've got a very special guest one today. They've been a little into for here. Laurie Daily, great man, great human, but single handedly led New South Welles to what I think is one of the great bouncebacks of all time.
Speaker 2: Incredible. No one gave him a chance after Game two and massive underdogs. They said that Queensland can't possibly lose this game. Guess what happened.
Speaker 1: They lost it. They lost it well and the outside noise we're going to ask him about, you know, the people hammering the leaders in that Nisul side, but particularly Laurie saying he couldn't coach. They were going after him quite a bit and he showed them well.
Speaker 2: I mean, Laurie is such a fantastic guy, a great guy, love by everyone. And the fact that the media went so hard and people just went so hard on Lourie it actually solidified the team and I think the cash crow mangst the team pretty much, even though it might have been unspoken, was we're doing this for Lorry and so the very fact that the side did that for him, it's something he must be incredibly proud about.
Speaker 1: Well, thanks to our friends at Barrocco, Let's let's have chat about some of the other best footy BB bounce backs. Have you got one that comes to mind?
Speaker 2: Mind is not a fun one. It was two thousand and grand five to qualify. We're playing the Roosters anyway, we were actually starting the game with a real b B bounce. In fact, halftime we're leading them sixteen nil. But unfortunately, as we're walking up the tunneled halftime brother Andrew, Uncle Joey turned to Luke Riggets from the Rooster side and said, what he is doing to mad Monday tomorrow. Unfortunately, that gave the Roosters the B B bounce and they came out the second half and actually BB bounces out of the competition.
Speaker 1: And then didn't you BB bounce to the Super League the next.
Speaker 2: Year BB bounced to the Super League?
Speaker 1: I did, and then they won the camp and they did bounce. I got a I'll get you with an inspirational one. Billy Slater, he everyone knows. I think he had. He had two years out of the game with one of the worst shoulder injuries that the game had ever seen. People were questioning whether he'd even come back could play again. Cameron Munster was killing it in the fullback position really cemented his spot in the NRL, and not only did he come back but hit the ground running Billy Slater. That year he came back twenty seventeen, he won everything. He won State of Origin, the Premiership, he won Wally Lewis Medal, he won the Clive Churchill Medal, and then represent Australia at the end of the year.
Speaker 2: One of the most amazing seasons ever. I saw him twenty sixteen the end of that year, twenty sixteen Melbourne Cup, and he looked really down in the mouth, unlike Billy, and I said, hey, Bill, you know how you doing and he goes, Maddie, I sort of think my career might be over. That's how he was feeling at the end of twenty sixteen. So twenty seventeen almost an unprecedented success for an individual. He certainly had the BB bounce.
Speaker 1: That was footy's best BB bounce backs thanks to Baroka gives you back your BB Bounce. Now over to Laurie Daily. Let's get into the podcast. Sorry, I know you do big sports, breakfast hard.
Speaker 2: It's just hard to know where to start. I woke up and read the news about you're dying. That's a tough one.
Speaker 3: It is. Can you just take my pulse through this?
Speaker 1: Haven't looked at some of those pulsating veins. It's like your blood blood pressure might be a bit of a worry.
Speaker 3: Yeah, can you.
Speaker 2: Can we just run past you? Are you enduring a serious health scare?
Speaker 3: Yes? I am, yep, but I can't talk.
Speaker 2: About to the bottom of it. Does it rhyme with ranser?
Speaker 4: Is it.
Speaker 1: Is anywhere? Is anyone past their fifties not having a health scare?
Speaker 3: Though? Yeah?
Speaker 5: Look very funny. It's not very funny. But no, I can guarantee you. I am as healthy as I've ever been.
Speaker 3: A little off color.
Speaker 5: I've just discovered myself that fat down.
Speaker 3: Clothes don't fit me anymore. Lost a bit of weight, but you have laws.
Speaker 2: It's funny when when people lose weight, generally people do they go, oh, I'm living fantastic, and then behind your back.
Speaker 5: Well, I lost twenty kgs twenty kg so I was one hundred kilo.
Speaker 3: I remember weighing myself on the Easter Monday.
Speaker 6: Where is that?
Speaker 1: So this is from game one to game three?
Speaker 6: Lost?
Speaker 3: My year is this year? In this amount of time?
Speaker 5: So Easter Sunday, Easter Monday through to I got down to eighty during Origin three a halftime.
Speaker 3: Half time, then going to.
Speaker 5: At the end of game to actually so yeah, I got down eighty and then I've slowly started to put on a bit more way time up around eighty three now. But yeah, I just, you know, obviously wanted to lose a bit of weight. It's funny, isn't it. Like as you get a bit older, you walk past the mirror and you look at yourself and you're not looking too bad, and then your kid yourself cause you're or your guts in a bit and you're passing through the iron.
Speaker 3: I'm too bad.
Speaker 2: I'll do that with that, and I also do it with the hairline. I looking all the ship. I can't believe they're saying popping.
Speaker 3: That's another thing. I haven't got plugs either.
Speaker 6: They go with you as well for hairplops.
Speaker 3: Hair plugs, I think you might have started up there. Hair plugs.
Speaker 5: They don't die my hair. But it is funny once you start to lose a bit of weight. Yeah, you're right there either go you're good, and then behind your.
Speaker 3: Back something with it.
Speaker 6: It's not looking it looks stressed.
Speaker 2: It with a big fat heaps, so they go make you look fantastic.
Speaker 3: They I'll tell you this. One day I went out.
Speaker 5: I must have been Mother's Day. I went out and I wasn't drinking. We've been off the drink for three four months. And anyhow, we went to lunch and then we go to this pub after it, and there's my family and friends of ours, and anyhow, they're drinking over lunch, and then we go to the pub and as you what happens, they tend to get a bit more Libya.
Speaker 3: Yeah, when they've had.
Speaker 5: A few and I wasn't drinking and I wanted to go home, and she goes to me.
Speaker 3: She turns around and says jesual boring worries.
Speaker 5: But then I knew because I said I didn't really comment back, you know, so I knew. I got to her and she goes, yeah, and look at you, a little skinny over there, but it doesn't make your nose.
Speaker 6: So it was getting.
Speaker 3: That she had to go to that level.
Speaker 2: I had three months off a couple of years ago. It was just horrible, and I just didn't want to go anywhere. And is like, mate, Matt, you don't you need to understand that you don't need to drink to have a good time. I said, well, you don't need shoes to run, but fuck me, at helps it is hard.
Speaker 1: There's nothing harder than going out and being sober when everyone else is blind.
Speaker 3: I don't know how they do it. I don't know how blokes drive for their mates.
Speaker 1: Oh well that's well, that's because Brandon drunk. They're not sober. Those Brandon Smith's now sober and he'll come out with us still, But like, just be so And I said to him, said, I don't know how you do it like and he's because you're also trying to fight the urge to have a beer. But if you wanted to be sober. But he loves it, and he's got the personality that can do it. But I think you've got to be a special kind of personality to do it. Because it had just pissed me off.
Speaker 3: So well, when I was off it, I didn't go out.
Speaker 5: I just stayed at Heart because I didn't want to mix, because I knew that i'd break. I also found the longer I went, the better I got it.
Speaker 3: Not having one or feeling like one. Yeah, I'll tell you what I made up for it.
Speaker 2: When I, oh, mate, when I when I got off at Low seventy five days it actually not by design or anything, was first aid of Magic Ground. And I remember running into Cooper. You guys arrived at the hotel and and I thought I was okay, and I was talking to jak VOI is Cooper here? And I just see him sort of looking at me.
Speaker 1: Is that when I was playing? Yeah, you're playing the next day or something and you come to the team hotel.
Speaker 6: Yeah, he was just he was just loitering in the foyer.
Speaker 1: Know, if it was anyone else, lucky they knew who Dad was. Otherwise they just kicked him out. Pervert lourding around, which I am. Which are Hey, we were just talking about it. I feel like we you know, enough times past now we can probably bring it up. How's how's Ricky Stewart going.
Speaker 3: Ricky's young? Will he gives you his regards?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Tolim's coming on the pro group obviously you two buttered heads.
Speaker 6: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I don't know anyone who's ever a class with Ricky.
Speaker 1: Well we've never said this, but you know, for those people that don't know the incident, you rehash your memory. I took an inflatable baseball but on the red carpet over in Vegas after the Hudson Young Morgan Smithy's elevator incident where they weren't fighting, they just happened to be having a bit of a push and shove and Ricky didn't like it. Ricky didn't like it at all. Took quite offense to me having an inflatable baseball blot out there. But the next day, actually I saw you at a Legiance Stadium and you told me. You said, what did you say to me?
Speaker 5: I said, do I say one of the few people that Ricky had to regret about doing something?
Speaker 4: Yeah?
Speaker 6: You said? You said?
Speaker 1: It was something like he really really regrets having a digg yet and he's going to I was talking having a coffee with him this morning. He's going to reach out and Ringer. It's two and a half years later, still isn't.
Speaker 4: Well.
Speaker 3: I'll tell you what you are.
Speaker 5: You are one of the better ones, because yusually he wouldn't try and reach out or say anything like that.
Speaker 3: Really, Oh yeah, mate, so you have done really well.
Speaker 2: You have done really he read me one day because we're talking on that on the Sunday night, show, and we're talking about different players or players or coaches who have been players. And someone asked me about Ricky and because the Ricky the nature of him being a case for so long, people forget what he's like as a player. And I said to people like and I said on the show, I said, a kid, you're not of all the blokes I ever played against, I said, for me, like, I thought he was the best way he controlled all you blokes. I said, he was just phenomenal anyway, ring me at a miscall for him the next day, and I thought, okay, now.
Speaker 1: Remember what you said in the throwaway comment on the air when you said you said, you know, he's one of the best players you know, I've ever played against. Even if he hates me, young fellows.
Speaker 2: Him and I said, still he goes mate. Maddie Kayley, who's his wife, she said that you said a couple of nice things about me on the show last I said, yeah, I did, Ricky, and he has mate much appreciated. I said, yeah, mate, well I wouldn't he goes And and you also said that you know, hopefully you know, even though you hate me, Blake, mate, I don't hate you. And so I love to catch up with these sometimes and have a yard to him. You know, it was just it was just about respect, I said, Ricky, honestly, I haven't haven't thought about it. He does not.
Speaker 6: We're still joking about it to you.
Speaker 3: He's he's so good like as you quite right. He said that he.
Speaker 5: Was the guy that kept our team sort of together and made it function. But he was highly competitive, and I was lucky I didn't play against him, but I used to stand back and admire some of.
Speaker 3: The things that he would say during a game to the position players because it was brutal.
Speaker 5: It was ruthless, and I just don't know whether it was off the cuff or whether he thought about it before the game play.
Speaker 3: He was as good as what you've ever seen.
Speaker 1: We do just have to mention as well, we're currently doing a renovation and that the floorboards being done upstairs, so if people hear some hammering going on.
Speaker 2: It's this time. It's not Dad masterba microphone.
Speaker 1: It's not true Shoup there with our next door name a Marty Okay or Ricky I don't know FREGGI.
Speaker 2: Yet or the inflatable baseball.
Speaker 1: Just before we move on to a bit of origin and stuff quite seriously because we took the piss out of the health scare stuff. Do you have any idea of where that article come from or is that literally just come that took you surprise? Even the health Scared article.
Speaker 5: Well, I think at the start when I had to lose weight because I was overweight, so I just had to do it because they said you're getting too big as well.
Speaker 3: So that's where it sort of started to bubble along.
Speaker 5: And I had a few little things that that not a major concern, but.
Speaker 3: You're just yeah, yeah, blood.
Speaker 5: Pressures things as you do when you get older. So that's that was it. But then yeah, I don't know where this one came out of the blue. While wasn't yeah, doing what I was doing, and I'm considering standing down because of.
Speaker 3: Her health scare. That is not even close.
Speaker 1: To the family get scared, Like did did family members come out of wood work thinking you're going to well, yeah.
Speaker 5: Let my fami was just going pink pink from from mates. One of the mat colly and told me I had him twenty third.
Speaker 1: I was his laugh.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's it's unbelievable that cholesterol thing, as you said, as you get older, do you have do you have high cholesterol?
Speaker 5: Not normally? Yeah, not not normally, but yeah. All the markers are the indicators that you need to look out for.
Speaker 3: You've got to be careful with.
Speaker 2: I went got to I went out to test bloke tod Like. I was at dinner one night. There was a bloke and he's just talking to me. He goes, Maddie. He wouldn't believe it. He goes unfit as anything, and he said and made. I went in for cholesterol test and Mate, suddenly they found it was almost shut.
Speaker 3: Made.
Speaker 1: If it's a new way doing it, John is John hop.
Speaker 2: Anyway, he said made. If it was not week, I could have died. Anyway, I'm looking at him and I'm just going I've packed a bit of timber on.
Speaker 3: Fuck.
Speaker 2: The next day, I'm driving the car with Trish. Literally I had a pank attack and so is true a heart attack. I went and got a test and a specialist scales. Now you're not in the high you're not in a high risk. You know, we had to look at the motions of your heart's pretty good. I'm still not sure. Anyway, I went got a cholesterol test. It was pretty high, and I ring him and said, you know, dog, I'm just ringing now. I went and got a cholesterol. I made that again. Maddie your paranoid. He said, what's your what's your levels? I went eight point three? Went, holy fuck, get in here.
Speaker 3: Eight point three. That is that's that is serious? Really?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it was so.
Speaker 1: Larry, I'm putting poison in his coffee. Have a look on me.
Speaker 6: And Jacker inherited.
Speaker 1: Hey, look we had in this studio pre renovation a year ago.
Speaker 6: I think twenty started twenty twenty five.
Speaker 1: When you first got the state of Orage in job, we're talking about, you know, expectations, things you'd learned from the first series. Now that you've you've had a couple of years in the job, how how was it like reflecting back? Was it everything you expected? Or was it so much more?
Speaker 3: So much more? I think the media focus around Origin is.
Speaker 5: Massive, and because of there's so many different sort of levels and platforms of broadcasting.
Speaker 3: Now everyone has an opinion. Everyone is passionate about.
Speaker 5: Origin, and it drives so much content that everyone can't get enough of it. So yeah, so it's one of those things that you get yourself in for you probably didn't realize when I got back into it how big it was and how big it became. Always new Origin was the number one program, number one item, ticket item for rugby league, But until I got back involved, I didn't realize that again. But then you know, all the focus, the attention, every decision that you make is scrutinized. But it was a great learning experience from when I first started to when I ended, because I reckon, I learned a lot of things along the way.
Speaker 3: The biggest learning for me was you just got to trust your gut.
Speaker 5: Sometimes sometimes you can second guess yourself, but I reckon, when when it marries up inside and it marries up up here, go with it.
Speaker 2: People talk about that as you get older, they say, intuition, it's more important than information. A lot of times, you know, all rolled up in your subconscious lows. I think we always talk about State of Origin getting bigger year by year by year, and I think probably the best way we can gauge that to a certain extent, apart from TV ratings, is the pressure it exersts on the coaches. How different LORII was the pressure, say this year, to when you coached way way back in around twenty fourteen, and that how different.
Speaker 3: You've felt every decision.
Speaker 5: Right from the get go, so right from selections, right from training sessions, right from team meetings, right from game It's just everything that you did was analyzed. That's how it feels when you're inside the bubble, and that's why people can't get enough of it, because that's what people talk about and that's what drives the conversation for people to go and watch and listen and want to be a part of State of Origin. So I didn't sort of realize that, but as I went through over the last two years, I've come to understand it.
Speaker 3: Everything you do is scrutinized.
Speaker 5: And you've got to make sure that you're getting more decisions right than what you get wrong. You're not always going to make right decisions, but what you do, you make decisions based on what you think is in the best interest of the group.
Speaker 1: How hard is that to, like, I suppose, because there's like you said, there's podcasting, there's Channel nine, Fox League. Everyone's got to opinion on your decisions, and there are so many different opinions coming. You know, this person needs to start, he needs to pick this person. How hard is it to block out all of that and just narrow your focus into what you actually believe and letting other people's opinions sort of take it.
Speaker 5: Well, it's funny, Coops, because there's a lot of people obviously have an opinion, and there are some people that you respect as judges and some people that you respect what they have to say, so you'd be silly not to take that on board. Then there's other people that have comments around the game that you may not know or you may not agree with what they're saying, so you put that to the side and you're blocking out what they're talking about. But you know, there'd be pieces of gold from everyone any particular people that have been on that stage, people that have been at that level, So you'd be mad not to sort of hear what they've got to say. Not that you have to agree with it all the time, but there are things that people say that you are Yep, you're right because you're on you know, and and it's not about admitting you're right or wrong, but it's about learning and when you learn and when you're responsible for leading New South Wales. I'm not thinking about myself. I'm thinking about how do I get this team to where they need to be. And if I've got to go from here to there because I've got that one wrong.
Speaker 3: Well that's what I've got to do that. That's that's the responsibility.
Speaker 2: And talking about the pressure laws, well, first of I'll talk about I'll talk about this, and I asked you this when we did this on last year, and I want your opinion on it because you've gone through it again. Is your ability to say, right, oh, that is well, let me let me to say, right, oh, this is the side that my gut is telling me I have to pick. But then everyone is trying to push in a different direction, and in your own mind, having the discipline to go no, no, no, no no, I'm actually going to trust my intuition, which sounds so simple, but I can imagine that is probably one of the toughest disciplines.
Speaker 5: It is because you like to listen to advice, and sometimes the more you listen to it can confuse you. But ultimately, I had final say, and we had to make some big decisions throughout the series, and I think we blooded nine you guys this year, and they're.
Speaker 3: Big calls to make.
Speaker 5: But I always get back to what is best for the team and what we need, and it's not about personalities, it's not about anything else other than.
Speaker 3: That, this is what we need to do.
Speaker 5: Who is best going to do that for us in this game? So that's how we went. And then you marry it all up on what you feel is the right thing to do, and you've got to back your judgment and you've got to be.
Speaker 3: And I think what happened in game.
Speaker 5: Really convinced me because I was more around people that have been there, done it.
Speaker 3: Before, which I still am.
Speaker 5: But after game one when Casey McLean, Stranger or Young Brailles, when they all had an impact, I thought to myself, geez, all these young bugs, once they get an opportunity, they're not going to let anyone down.
Speaker 3: They've proved so trust.
Speaker 5: It sort of trusted me to go with young blokes if I needed to give them opportunities.
Speaker 3: Told him it was another way.
Speaker 5: Yeah, So it just trusted me to be brave enough to go down that path rather than being more conservative.
Speaker 2: Can we just focus on one positional thing where we're talking about your own intuition. You got to feel when everyone was trying to push a different way, including me, after they gained one. For me, I thought one of the obvious changes I thought became Murray starting and I thought that, you know, in my sense in saying that was I thought in Game one, at times we're probably trying to push the ball two sideways rather than simplifying going forward and Briton Isaiah, even though he's the captain off the bench, where with all that noise going on, what was the ultimate decision, why did you keep and it was the correct decision? Why did you stick with Isaiaha?
Speaker 3: I think there's a couple of reasons there, Matie. I think that.
Speaker 5: Yoi Yooi's leadership skills are the best I've seen. Yeah, really, so him being able to be in front of that group, see the way that they respond to what he has to say, the work that we do together, the discussions that we have.
Speaker 3: I just know that he's the.
Speaker 5: Right man in the leadership space, and I think leadership is so important in that environment. Then I know his ability if other people are doing their roles. And I also thought that well Cam could do what Yoi did. We even tossed around the idea of starting Cam as an edge yeah yep, but then we thought, oh, that's probably you getting too funky.
Speaker 3: He could do it. Yeah, they've done that's much better.
Speaker 1: They've done that before, they've tested that before. But he's his leg speed and footwork's too good through them.
Speaker 5: Yeah, so we had to be brave and go, well, no, we're not going to do that, just so we start camp because he can play a massive role coming off the bench.
Speaker 3: And I must say that.
Speaker 5: Cam was outstanding through the series and handle it really well. But yoee and I think he showed it in the in the final just we needed him out there. And his ability to carry the ball forward but also pass and be that link.
Speaker 2: Man when we needed it was the the other real big one. Laurie was watching the first couple of games, not just the first couple of games. I've observed this for quite a while. It's it's a sort of strange one and the inability of Nathan and Teddy to really fulfill what looks like could be a champion combination, you know, playing different ways. Was there every discussion where whoever sat you sat there with your assistance and selectors and going right, what are we going to do here? You know, as far as Dolan, there was just a no brainer. We're going to stick with Teddy and Nathan No once.
Speaker 5: Once we locked in our spine, it was only going to change if there was an injury, it was only going to change. That's what we wanted to do. And I'm a big believer in the more they play footy together, better they'll be. And I know that Teddy again, like he could have come back into that space burn An next to you South Wales captain been.
Speaker 3: Out of there for a couple of years so to speak.
Speaker 5: He got to come come into that group and quite easily have just taken a backseat and worried about himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, but he became part of the.
Speaker 5: Leadership group and in fact, he and Yaoi were probably the two most vocal and talking to the team. And I just took my hat off to him because it could have quite easily been I just came in to worry about myself, but he didn't.
Speaker 1: Is there you got an example of like about Joei's leadership.
Speaker 6: Is there?
Speaker 1: And when he addresses a group, is there a moment that stands out in the Three Games show?
Speaker 5: Yeah, there's always moments because he'll take it upon himself to organize little catch up groups. He'll take it upon himself to send out a group chat to leaders, you know, ask him, how is the day's training? Get together with your groups tomorrow, have a cup of coffee, you have a chat about yeah, something like that. You know, we'll catch up. What do you want to talk about tomorrow? What do you want to do? You know, do you want to lead this?
Speaker 3: Yeah? Just the way he's able.
Speaker 5: To connect with the group, the way he spects, the respect that he demands and receives. And you can just tell with a player once they talk, when people are fixated on them. The eyes are straight on them, listening to every word. They're not sort of drifting.
Speaker 3: So he can command a room very.
Speaker 5: Succinct in what he says, straight to the point, you know, and you sort of watch how he goes and you go, yeah, that's one of the reasons.
Speaker 2: Why Kenrith, where does where does Nathan fit around that?
Speaker 5: So Nate's a bit more quiet. But Nathan, when he says something.
Speaker 2: It's we'll hang on, yeah, yeah, hang on.
Speaker 5: He's got something there, And I think that Obviously Nathan is a different type of personality to Yai, but just as effective. And he he was brilliant in Game three for.
Speaker 3: US and he really you could tell, like he prepares.
Speaker 5: Better than anyone I've ever seen, better than anyone I've seen. He's there early in the morning, he's still there late at night. But there was something different about him in Origin three because he goes through his prep and he's the last one off the field and I don't know whether well I do know. I think, like, so you do your.
Speaker 3: Last training session on Captain's run and then usually everyone has a bit of a pass and kick and whatever. But not only did he do that, he did some tackling.
Speaker 2: Yeah, gotcha, Okay, yes, so he's going to get physical.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, so he did that. He got stranger to run anym who was tackling him. So, stranger, you're doing these left right foot steps and like this is sort of not full impact, but impact which you don't usually do because you've trained on the Monday. You've done it, and it's a real light, really light captains run. But he reverted back to go and bank.
Speaker 1: That's that's Jason Rowles used to say that, especially for the halves. Last thing after captain drun. You know, you said you do your kick and you do your passing with the last thing before you leave the field, get a pad, get a bigger body, and have him run out here because the last thing you come off this field, he wants the hars mentality to that skill.
Speaker 6: Stuff will look after itself.
Speaker 1: But if you're if you're wanting to be physical and you want the contact, the.
Speaker 3: Other stuff will can't.
Speaker 5: Well, I might have missed it, but I didn't see it in game one or two, but I saw it in game three through and.
Speaker 2: He gets out there on the other side of the coin. You're right, It's a lot of times it's not the tax at the tackling, it's the mindset of the physicality and scores the first two tries run the foot.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And that was a.
Speaker 5: Big thing too for him, was that Cobbo was having a lot of success. But we knew we had to have, like you looked through Origin and Mitch Moses kicking game over the last three games, and it's important up there yep. So obviously we had a lot Mitch do a lot.
Speaker 3: Of the long kicking game.
Speaker 5: But another reason was we needed to shore up our right edge because Cobbo was having a field.
Speaker 3: They bringing the ball back yep.
Speaker 5: And even Kaylen when you kick to the right what he was trying to do is isolate our edge because you'd have edge.
Speaker 3: Nathan kicks, so.
Speaker 5: He's back here, you at edge center, So Kaylen to get the ball and all of a sudden, if you kick to the right winger and holdies with Kaylen, cut back and get to the outside. Yeah, have the edge defender and put him into put the center. Then in two minds whether the GM or stay out and leave him one on one or.
Speaker 2: Assume torture and catoni a few times. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 5: So the other thing about that was you've got an extra number in your line.
Speaker 3: So not only was.
Speaker 5: It good for us that we could sort of help nullify Kaylin, but also gave us another body to.
Speaker 1: Putty Nathan can get on his chase as well.
Speaker 2: What about that? Nathan and Mitchell, the silent alpha and the vocal alpha. Those two blokes very sort of different personalities, both grade winners. How is their relationship in camp? How did they coexist?
Speaker 5: Well, I'll tell you this, matey. Nathan was the one that said, you take the long kicks.
Speaker 2: Yeah right, okay, yep, Jesus, So.
Speaker 3: He's got the best kicking game, long kicking game. Yep, he takes the long kicks.
Speaker 2: That's enormous.
Speaker 3: That's that's how they work. So that's a team ye for Nathan Cleary, best player in the game. He says that that's well, so that's that's strong.
Speaker 2: That's that's that's amazing, that's strong.
Speaker 1: We know, how how much of I suppose in that origin side? How much of a DNA is that Penrith boys, you know, yowe Nathan amongst a lot of others. Going back to a selection thing, when Brent, when Brian who comes out of the side, how do the when you go in camp day one, how does those Pandridth boys respond to that? Like do they come up? Because I imagine it's disappointing for Brian, but I imagine that they actually quite like take quite a hit from it as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think they do coop.
Speaker 5: I think anytime you lose a close friend in the environment and he's your teammatee and you you think he should be there, obviously you're disappointed for them, but you have a conversation around this is the reason and let them know that. I spoke to Brian and obviously the conversations are very hard to have because what he's done for New South Wales has been impeccable, but we just felt like we needed to make that change.
Speaker 3: So yeah, but they.
Speaker 5: They're very good at being able to write. That's the decision that's been made. It's good on Yeah, And I was, I was really so proud of the group, and I reckon it says a lot about this group of players, and we've all been there when things get tough, you can splinter off and you can sort of every man in his you know, you go in your.
Speaker 3: Own direction and every man for himself sort of attitude.
Speaker 5: But it felt like the more we started to copy it, the more we sort of.
Speaker 3: Just got and tighter.
Speaker 1: We had Hudson on. We had Hudson on the day after Origin three. He came on and he said the same thing you are. I think you asked him, you know, with all the outside noise about Nathan dominating Origin, the media into you, how did that effect coming into camp game three? Out of that effect? And he said, it just gave us a galvanized to sort together, like.
Speaker 2: Spun the narrative didn't it on the coins there New South Wales?
Speaker 5: If it makes it, yeah, I think it did matter. I think I could like our preparations were always good, like we never had a bad bad prep. But there was just something steerly about the look in their eye. And you know, they weren't loud, they were just focused. They were And the.
Speaker 3: Thing that I said to my wife and she laughed at me. So Robert Kingsliff, we called your boring. Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah. We went for a walk on the Friday morning day off. So it went for a walk on the day off.
Speaker 5: So we walked from where we were staying into Kingsliff And anyway, we get there and we go for coffee at the surf Club.
Speaker 3: I'll get at the surf Club and.
Speaker 5: I look and there's I don't know twelve or the boys there and they're all sitting around having a coffee, just sitting around all together like something in the surf getting out. And it just showed you, like how tight they really were.
Speaker 3: Like day off yearsually, some.
Speaker 5: Likes will go, some wakes will go there, I spend with family, whatever it was. But there was a really strong group of numbers. I said, I said, so that said that's good. Yeah, what do you mean burn together? She said, aren't they together all the time? I said, yeah, they are, but this is their day off. It's actually how good they go off.
Speaker 3: They can do whatever, but they're all. It might have been more than usually numbers.
Speaker 1: It's usually in a team, you wouldn't see more like that number of boys like they all, like you said, they have their little group of three and four and they'll go and do their own thing. They don't really socialize outside of that. But to see such a large group of them together.
Speaker 2: And Ted must make you proud or make well proud, yeah, or just give you the amazing feeling because none of those players so everything that was being said, I never heard any of those players say, you know, in the media, we're into us, or yeah they were proving the critics wrong to us. It was made people are saying this about Lourie, and the very fact that that group came together so tight and did that was because of you. That must be an amazing feeling.
Speaker 5: It was, Maddie, and it was amazing because not that I wanted them to, but a lot of them kept coming up to me going, mate, we got your back. Yeah, yeah, I tell you, And I'm thinking, I don't know.
Speaker 2: What they've been saying about.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really we established And I'm still a big believe this. This is my whole philosophy is if you've got a tight connected group when it when it gets tough, you'll bunk it down together. Yes, you'll bunk it down together. And we experienced a very.
Speaker 3: Tough period after Game two.
Speaker 5: We experienced something that a lot of them probably haven't experienced a lot of before. It felt like we were getting punched around and everyone was coming from every angle.
Speaker 3: But they didn't splinter. They stayed together.
Speaker 5: And that's what you're very proud of as a as a coach, that your team just bunkers down, They get behind each other, they support each other, and then become everyone talks about becoming a brother, Well they become more.
Speaker 1: Do you think there is like this might be a silly question, but do you think I don't know if you saw it? Do you think my speech had anything to do with it?
Speaker 6: Speech was that you.
Speaker 1: Didn't see it?
Speaker 6: The motivational speech.
Speaker 3: I didn't.
Speaker 6: I'll show you after this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, was a good we'll talk.
Speaker 2: We we constantly talk about the outside noise. The outside noise for you and I is very different to the outside noise for the generation after us. And given the very facts, it was very easy, you said, made I just wasn't rooting it and was watching it. I was talking to a coach the other day about it, and he was talking about a couple of players. He said, what were his key players? But he said, one of them is just his performance is deteriorating because he just can't let go of his phone, you know, And you know for for us, you know, I'm not social media, know that you aren't. How how how difficult was it for the players? Do you think like or was there any rule in camp regarding the phones, because I reckon that just about in modern day cation would just be the most trickiest, difficult thing to deal with.
Speaker 5: Yeah, we didn't really have a hard and fast rule, but what we did speak about was stay away, just stay away because negative thoughts are getting going to get there nowhere. And we did a few little exercises around that. But overall, I think that they understood that by staying away from social media, even though they looked possibly I don't know, but they would have limited what they did. They would have limited the amount of time they went on their phone.
Speaker 3: Because I've got to say, you know, around where I was and team rooms, they all interact pretty strongly rather than looking at their phones. Yep.
Speaker 5: And the other good one too is I always find that the little mini busses are really good rather than a big coach. Yeah yeah, because the little minibusses you've got a jo yeah yeah, buck show or something.
Speaker 3: So we have four or five little minibusses instead of the big coach.
Speaker 5: When you're getting around, so you've got to pile in and it's first man in, and so you're sitting in different seats, but you're sitting with different people as well, so you mix every session you go to, you're mixing with a different bloke. You're sitting with a different bloke, you're coming home with a different blake. You're chatting, and you get to know someone on a personal level.
Speaker 3: So I like that.
Speaker 1: I like the ninety six dinner as well before game game three, where the ninety sixteen is a twenty year anniversary and every player had someone to sit next to. Because I saw Joey the next day, Holy heck, it looked like the ninety sixteen had a good talk. I heard Jason Croker was out to the early hour ninety six schooners.
Speaker 3: Well he broke the record. I think to it's but it was very funny because.
Speaker 5: They must have thought we were mad, the young the current a fight because I remember there at one stage Joey and I were sitting and Freddy was there and Nathan and someone else was sitting there and they was looking.
Speaker 3: At his car for real with these barbarians.
Speaker 4: By the way, great Mats there too for nineteen ninety six.
Speaker 2: Twenty years, thirty years again.
Speaker 6: Had his arrogance there too.
Speaker 3: It's like.
Speaker 2: Just social media singing again like quickly sort of bang on a bed of just you know.
Speaker 3: Just letting go.
Speaker 2: But there's a bloke. It's very interesting is that there's different. There's a blake going around the world world sport trying to teach coaches, trying to find the solution for this, you know, and they believe it. You know. The people who can find the solution quick enough is going to be like one of the vital things. And what Raal Madrid are doing now, it was amazing. They used to get there and they have a person they're waiting before the players will get it in the shed to look at their phones. Now they realize they went you know what, probably in their own minds what they think is going to be their worse sometimes than it is. So when rather drid players come off, they've got three minutes to go on their phones, have a look and then put them away back on it. Isn't that do you find like that?
Speaker 1: Is?
Speaker 2: That is as bizarre? But they say that is the lesser of the two evils.
Speaker 5: But I suppose Maddie that it's a big part of it because they're never going to get off it. Yeah, it's a big part of their promotional brand of themselves or whatever businesses they're promoting. But like my big thing is as an athlete, you've got to be careful when you go on it and when you stay off it, you know, because the more more people say bad things, the more you start to think. And you only got a cloud to judgement a little bit and it could put you off.
Speaker 3: So yeah, they've got to be careful.
Speaker 2: Was what about yourself personally? And we're not going to ask you about you Are you going to coach? We spoke about this beforehand. It's none of our business.
Speaker 1: But are you going to go?
Speaker 2: Can you see yourself wearing a blaze? But for you personally? Love Compeared to other series, how Big A told this one.
Speaker 5: It did take out a big toll because you're emotionally invested right from the get go, regardless, and you write every play. And I suppose the fact that there was more criticism this year than than others, well it felt like that. So you sort of and you know, you've got a great responsibility to the state, you've got a great responsibility to the playing group, coaching group, everyone, and we're all we all want to win, but you also want to do the best job you possibly can.
Speaker 3: So you write every play. You feel every moment, and.
Speaker 5: You you wake up after an origin if you have won, your sky high, and if you have lost, you feel like you've let millions of people down.
Speaker 3: That's just the way you feel.
Speaker 1: How do you know? Dad was talking about, like for players trying to block out of social media and stuff, But how do you sort of, I suppose avoid the outside noise because you've still got to front up at press conferences. And I'm sure people are like sending you or ringing you, saying mate, I hope you're doing all right.
Speaker 2: Reading articles you've got that made the rings just make you wouldn't believe that. I appreciate that.
Speaker 3: Well, it's funny, So I didn't read. I didn't hear.
Speaker 5: I didn't see that. People would ring or text and I'd cut them off. I just say that they want to hear or get to the text and start to root it at the start and just just thanks. And I just didn't want to go into it myself. And I did that because you tell the players to, yeah, rush the outside noise, Yeah, yeah, just put so if I'm not going to do it, I can't not then expect the player not to do it.
Speaker 1: Being naive is possibly it's possibly the most powerful thing. Absolutely, Because we were saying it leading into game three, it was like, all the outside noise, it means if I go out and win this, everything that's said about New so Well is this series means absolutely nothing because they've won the series.
Speaker 5: I've got to say, and I don't usually get I get nervous, I get anxious.
Speaker 3: I was so calm before going three and I was, I was confident.
Speaker 2: I was.
Speaker 3: I was.
Speaker 5: I don't like to say it, but I said to a couple of my friends, I said, look, guys, I said, I think we're going to win. I think I think this will be our best performance we've seen in a long while. That's what I seen in a couple of people. And you don't want to say it out loud because if it doesn't.
Speaker 3: Happen, people are you got no one?
Speaker 5: But honestly, I was so calm that day. I was so confident, and you, I don't know, you just get a feel when you're you know. I spoke to them before we jumped onto the bus, and then I spoke to them again just before they ran out, and I didn't have to say too much, and you just knew that they were dialed in and they were hungry and they were going to do whatever.
Speaker 2: In an amazing when you sounds so simple, but in State of Origin, as you said, everything going on, all the subplots which make it even bigger, not just about back in the day, State of Origin, come on New South Wales, Boo coins Land. Now it's is Nathan clearly the solution is Nathan clearly going to dominate like it has a club level. Should Cam Murray starts, he's this plate right there are honestly, there are about two hundred subplots to go on, and amongst everything, Laurie isn't funny. It must be hard. Sometimes you just clear the ball and just just win.
Speaker 3: Yeah, just win.
Speaker 5: Well, winning solves a lot, doesn't it. Winning resolves everything. Everyone quietens down, and as I said, it just feels like Origin has become such a massive beast. Now it's bigger than any other thing. But you know, you're not going to get everything right. I understand that, but you hope that you get the majority of things right. And I think any leader will tell you that, you know, if they have their time over again. You know, when you review a game, it's like a player, well as a coach when you review a game, Yeah, you know what I could have done this better than what I did during the game. But what you try and take out of that is, if we're in this situation again, this is what we're going to do. So yeah, yeah, I reckon that we had really good learnings right throughout. But I was really confident that we would give a performance like that.
Speaker 3: But I just thought it'd be earlier rather than the last game.
Speaker 2: Your brother brothers in arms, Well not exactly, but brothers in Arms. As far as Pressure is concerned, that although he's in the other bunker, Billy Slater and only YouTube blokes really knew about the Pressure, and everything goes on did you speak at full time?
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Billy came up and congratulated me, very gracious obviously. Yeah, and you know we spoke for thirty seconds.
Speaker 3: It's always hard. I did the same previous year when we lost or made it a bee line to him and he was the same.
Speaker 5: You know, it's amazing that you're a static but when the other coach comes.
Speaker 3: Over you hold yourself together.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but you pay that respect and Billy has done a wonderful job with Queensland, so yeah, you always go and find out the other coach and find out where he is.
Speaker 2: And finally, Laurie on state of Origin. You've played, you played Australia, you've played State of Overgion football, you play Grand Finals, You've excelled in all of them. You know how to handle pressure. What Toll does to take on the family.
Speaker 3: I think that's the biggest one.
Speaker 5: Like no one ever likes criticism, but I reckon you goops myself because we've been involved in that environment. I reckon you handle it pretty well. We have it pretty well. You sort of just park it and if you if you sort of respect the guy and he says something, well you know it might knock you around a bit more.
Speaker 3: Others it doesn't. If it's a.
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's just one of those things that that you sort of know how to park it. But it still gets to you, but not as much as it gets to your family. Because the family are reading it, and you know, I got kids as well. You're telling them to stay off social media, don't risk listen. I can't, They can't, you know, And that's what happens. So they get they get very protective their their father as well.
Speaker 1: It must have been nice for them, like it must have been. They must have loved, like seeing going down the sheds after the game he celebrate with the boys. I love seeing the video of Stephen Crichton just pull the gatorade on you and then he was going to and then he.
Speaker 6: Was screaming at the back what are they going to say?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 6: What are they going to see?
Speaker 1: But it must be nice to go into the sheds after there and your family who's you know, like you said, they're probably reading the press more than you are. They're wearing it just as hard and you celebrate that win with them.
Speaker 5: It was it was amazing because my young Blake was over in London, so he didn't see any of the Origin series.
Speaker 3: He left before the series started.
Speaker 2: He was confident.
Speaker 5: And then my daughter she was over there for the first game in London too, so she missed Origin one and then yeah she came back. But so yeah, I had with two daughters and Michelle there and great friends with us as well. But yeah, you just feel happy for everyone because it's such I don't know it affects everyone. When you come home after losing an Origin game. Honestly, you don't feel like leaving the house.
Speaker 3: You feel like you.
Speaker 5: Don't watch anything, you don't hear anything. You just bunk it down together and you feel like, honestly, you feel like you let a lot of people down and you feel you.
Speaker 3: Just got your head down.
Speaker 5: You don't want to sort of make eye contact with anyone, whereas when you win, your head up you're walking around around.
Speaker 1: When you talk about like when let's use Newcastle for example, Like I know when the boys up there, if they're going on a ship run, they don't even want to go to woolies or coals because people are grabbing the thing. Oh wait, what's going on with the Knights at the moment. I'm now put that on a scale by ten because New South Wales, every team, every every club team comes together, unifies for a whole state. And if you have a bad game, it's like you go to any woolies in any suburb in New South Wales, someone will grab you and go mate, what the fuck's.
Speaker 3: And they'd ask you the same question like when you're out.
Speaker 5: But I must say, when you're running to people like they talk to you out like they know you.
Speaker 3: And it's great, good yeah yeah, and they go you know what. I have to laugh at this one.
Speaker 5: I have to laugh at this one because and then it's coming from the right spot.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 5: You know into game three you get text messages or you'd run into regardless.
Speaker 3: Of the results, regardless of everythle on behind you. It was like, I'm just I don't think you win.
Speaker 2: A circle of friends and honestly I'm the only one that's backing you.
Speaker 1: What are you doing?
Speaker 6: What are you doing with yourself?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: No, because I have to take time off through the radio.
Speaker 2: PI radio yeah to take time there.
Speaker 5: So I yeah, won't take time off. But Michelle's going across the London will.
Speaker 1: Oh really, so what do you?
Speaker 6: What are you just?
Speaker 1: You will just be home alone. What does Laurie Daily do when he's alone?
Speaker 6: Because I heard you're in news.
Speaker 2: Well, let's just show that.
Speaker 3: This with your father. Yes, we roomed together and with your uncle.
Speaker 1: Me and Joey went up to Townsville on the weekend. We did a luncheon together up there, and thirty thirty minutes of the hour that me and him up there spinning yards. He was just telling everyone all the towns or locals.
Speaker 6: Mate, Laurie Daily, its every single time.
Speaker 1: Five minutes into rooming with him, completely.
Speaker 2: New, everyone's we're rooming Laurie and I in New Zealand And and I was over there cover for Laurie who had a hamstring concern. So I was is Lorry pulled out. I was in right. And remember once you're in the bath and you're going, oh, I tell you what, Maddie. I sort of think it's loosened up a little bit. Although it's a little bit tight. And when I yeah, from from you know, from what I hear it's a little bit tight. I wouldn't risk it. Let me just get my shoulder under that finger.
Speaker 3: Manes.
Speaker 4: Yeah, guys, just say to from your last episode of I wanted to bump you and tell you the clip you told where you told the story about Tommy. That story was that might be one of our biggest clips ever. I think people just frothed that talking.
Speaker 1: About when he's we're going to slide, we're going to get up.
Speaker 5: The other one about Tommy I remember was when he did the video on alf.
Speaker 3: Yes, he did the video and even though he's made of mind, we're gonna bash. You got to give it to it anyway.
Speaker 5: Right, we're on the train, so I goes, Tommy.
Speaker 2: You might be there, and you two put on your los mate.
Speaker 3: Thanks Coops.
Speaker 2: What do you think of the rent pleasure? Thanks loves good.
Speaker 1: There's another bedroom in you I know where you lived there. Yeah,