Speaker 1: This is the US Report with James Morrow.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the program. Here's what's coming up tonight. The King's been in town and Trump delivers a stirring defense of British American values. Plus Australia's got a new mega maga US ambassador. Is this Trump's payback for having to deal with Kevin Rudd and Jimmy Kimmel doubles down on the assassination gangs? But isn't bad taste still covered by free speech? But first, let's have a quick word about King Charles's visit to the White House, which I think has to be called a real triumph for both sides, with Trump looking funny and magnanimous and his Majesty engaging in some pretty spectacular diplomacy that went a long way towards patching up the rift that had opened up between the White House and the effeckless, incompetent and generally unhelpful UK government of Keir Starmer, including this masterclass in how it's done.
Speaker 3: There was one particular Orchus predecessor, launched from a UK shipyard in nineteen forty four, that served for the majority of her life attached to the fourth Submarine Squadron in Australia. Her name HMS Trump. So tonight, mister President, I am delighted to present to you, as a.
Speaker 1: Personal gift.
Speaker 3: The original bell which hung on the conning tower of your valiant namesake.
Speaker 2: How good.
Speaker 4: And then there was this.
Speaker 3: Quip and should you ever need to get hold of us or just give us a ring?
Speaker 2: This was the bell, by the way, and I reckon it'll look pretty good in the Oval office. Now there was a lot more from both sides. They both made quips about who would otherwise be speaking German versus who'd otherwise be speaking French, And it was all very good natured. Trump never forget is a massive anglophile, even if he quite reasonably deplores what has happened in the UK over the past several years.
Speaker 4: But I think the.
Speaker 2: President may have also laid out the most important point about the US UK relationship, and indeed the relationship between the UK and all nations which descend from her, including I might suggest, Australia.
Speaker 5: The first Americans saw themselves as free men, carrying the forward and central liberties and ancient rights of the Anglo Saxons into this new and beautiful world in the eyes of America's founders. Our war of Independence was fought not to reject this heritage, but to reclaim it and perfect it.
Speaker 2: That's a really important point. The American Revolution didn't end in disaster because it wasn't so much trying to create a utopian earth. They left that to the French, and of course we know that didn't end well. But instead they wanted to extend and build on the rights they were entitled to from their English heritage and extend them to the world. If only Australia had leaders who were as across the powers their government's English inheritance had bestowed on them as well, rather than trying to throw away individual rights, free speech and so much else. Out with yesterday's trash. Okay, now this story I'm going to tell you about this is big, folks. The White House has just had a win that could prove to be very very important. In a six' to three, vote The Supreme court has struck down the practice of states drawing electoral maps and creating electoral districts based on. Race, Now louisiana had once used twenty twenty census data to draw a bizarre map of congressional districts lines all over the place to create majority black and therefore the theory goes Majority democrat congressional. Seats, now though The Supreme court has said, no and this seems to be pretty sensible to. Me they've said you cannot group people together by race to create new. CONSTITUENCIES i, mean if you think about, it this is just about as Un american as it can. Get and once, more this decision has huge implications for any elections coming, up including This november's. Midterms according to one analysis shown, Here democrats currently hold twenty four seats across The Southeastern american states thanks simply to these racially, drawn racially gerrymannered. Maps but if you look on the, right if those maps were changed to play by the rules and not by, race Well republicans might pick up as many as twelve. Seats this move by The Supreme court is massive and well, overdue and already the map is changing and things are going down In. Louisiana they've now going to A republican governor and he's suspending congressional primaries until they can redraw the map in keeping with the law set down by The Supreme. Court this is. Great and you know what, Else democrats are furious.
Speaker 6: Today we're ramping up our. Efforts we see the need for. It just today and Today's Supreme court, decision which is a despicable decision that is a return To Jim crow taking decades of hard, work, sweat blood and, tears and even people dying for the right to.
Speaker 2: Vote can you believe? This Chuck schumer is saying that racial equality means grouping people together by. Race, yeah, sure make it make. Sense, Meanwhile illinois governor and presidential HOPEFUL. Jb pritzker posted this on X he, wrote we must call this for what it, is voters suppression that will silence black and brown. Voters the magnitude of this decision cannot be. Understated it guts The Voting Rights act and it's very purpose of protecting all. Voices Every american deserves an equal. Vote now keep in mind Here pritsker literally drew this map his administration in That look at all those weird shapes and. Fingers tell, me you tell me that that's a resulting in an equal. Vote of course it's. Not but while this is a big win For, republicans The democrats aren't going to take this line. Down just have a look at, this and when you watch, this think back to all the times That democrats have Accused trump or The republicans of being lawless and ignoring The Supreme.
Speaker 7: Court in the New, congress we're going to have to do something about This Supreme. Court and let me be very, clear everything is on the, table everything to deal with this CORRUPT maga.
Speaker 4: Majority.
Speaker 2: Yep so that Was House Binardi Leader Hakim. Jeffries and you gotta ask what does this? Mean, well to, me that.
Speaker 4: Sounded like a.
Speaker 2: Threat sounded even, like let's say that phrase they, use a threat to, democracy to? Norms, well MAYBE i, mean are they just going to not accept the results of The Supreme court or just try some other shenanigans at the? Polls If democrats win The White house and have The, congress they may go for even bigger. Change i'm talking about granting statehood To, washington D. C And Puerto, rico thus all but guaranteeing four More senate, seats open, borders and legal immunity to law, breakers all to permanently tilt the electoral system their. Way and if that, happens, well bye Bye. America, okay let's bring in our first guest this, evening RETIRED Us Army infantry colonel and Author Kurt. Schlichter, Kurt welcome to the. Program. NOW i just spoke about this really fascinating AND i think really important decision from The Supreme court on racial. Jerrymandering i'd love to get your take on what this means more broadly, here what will The republicans have to do to ensure that they can make this make some difference for the, Midterms and just paint a picture of what An american legislature In American congress might look like if you got rid of these sorts of racially jerrymannered seats mean a less Partisan.
Speaker 8: Congress No congress is going to remain. Partisan it should be. Partisan, jerrymandering which is dividing up representative districts for political, advantage is as old As america, itself and in, fact it is the ultimate political. Act you should jerry. Mander you should seek to use your political power for. ADVANTAGE i don't resent people doing. IT i resent people doing it and then telling Me i'm wrong for my side wanting to do.
Speaker 4: It one thing you can't do when.
Speaker 8: Jerrymandering is you are not allowed to do it on the basis of, race.
Speaker 4: Which The democrats have been doing for.
Speaker 8: Years there were a bunch of districts which were designed to guarantee black voters elected a black representative who was inevitably A, democrat so is effectively A Democrat. Jerrymander that's all gone now and The republicans are just they're just going to clean. House they're gonna get about twelve new.
Speaker 2: Seats, yeah, Yeah, well it's really really fascinating heading into the. Midterms and AS i said, EARLIER i think this is one of the most Important Supreme court decisions.
Speaker 4: To come down in a long.
Speaker 2: Time But, KURT i want to move on also and just have a little bit of a. Chat it's been several days now since that assassination attempt at The White. House correspondence did it the number, three the third one that we know about in the last two. Years but one of the Things i've been struck by now Is Cole, allen the alleged, assassin and how he now seems to be with some of these documents that The justice problem has dropped like a complete creation of this lefty online propaganda bubble right down to his taking a selfie before the alleged attack in the, mirror and the way he kind of wrote this manifesto that was allegedly very you, know this sort of very online kind of, speak and, hey you know, guys so you, know so, Sorry i'm about to do, this but, hey here's got to go do this thing, here you, know and all of.
Speaker 8: This, well, look this guy is a loser who's tried to make himself the hero of the young adult. Novel it is his. Life AND i know these people very. Well the town Of, torrents where he comes, from is right next to.
Speaker 4: Me he lived within four or five.
Speaker 8: Miles from WHERE i am right, now AND i know the kind they have substitute. Faith family in The flag have got rid of that and they fill it up with this. Well as Comic norm MacDonald correctly called it commy, GOBBLEDEGOOK i, mean this guy's ramblings are indistinguishable from the nonsense you would hear ON msnbc or any of the other left wing. Stations the problem is he has, now for the sake of this action packed, selfie essentially given up his. Life he's going to go to prison for forty, years as he should if The Secret service knew how to, shoot we wouldn't have this problem at. All But Secret service needs To he needs some in depth. Reform but what's really happening is there are a lot you, know when you Call Donald trump a, fascist, nazi racist, monster is gonna turn us into a. Dictatorship are you really surprised that stupid people without a lot going on in their lives are gonna take you seriously and try and be the hero by murdering.
Speaker 2: Him, well not only, that, though you, know it's this sort of broader thing on the left that seems to be celebrating. Violence AND i was struck by a survey this week that came out that showed that if you've been to graduate, school you were much more likely to not only be left, wing but also support political. Violence and we've seen this, guy we've Seen Luigi mangoni with the HEALTHCARE. Ceo the leftloads to preach peace and love and mung beans and all, that but there's a real violent dunderbelly there isn't?
Speaker 4: There there?
Speaker 8: Is AND i find it interesting Because america's graduate students are the people least likely to be able to effectively deploy. Violence they don't typically own. Guns they typically aren't trained by the. MILITARY a lot of us. ARE i, MEAN i am literally sitting within more range of more guns in my house than are probably in the entire city Of.
Speaker 4: Sydney and that's just one.
Speaker 8: House the you, know And i'm writing about this at town hall Next. Monday you, know it's kind of a bad idea when you push to extremes and you're not exactly prepared to go. There america functions because we accept the legitimacy of our. Government this is one of those few governments in history where you don't obey because you're afraid somebody's going to come knock on your door and haul you. Away you obey because you think the system's. Legitimate and sometimes you win and sometimes you'll, lose but it's fair and you've had a chance and you've been, heard and people decide the other, way and, Okay i'll get my chance the next. Time the problem with these leftists is they don't want it to be a next. Time they consider any exercise of power by anyone else to be inherently, illegitimate and they plan to seize power and keep.
Speaker 4: It you hear. It with the court packing, scheme you hear it with The i'm going to.
Speaker 8: Arrest a bunch Of trump officials when, no you, know when't we take power? Again this nonsense is extremely dangerous because if you get rid of the, legitimacy you're left with, force and they are the people who are least will be least effectively able to wield. Force in the, end it's it's a bad idea for.
Speaker 2: Them, yeah but this leads into something ELSE i want to talk to you, about which is the kind of this atmosphere which is created by people Like james Call, me the FORMER fbi director who has again surrendered to authorities following allegations that that image he shared on social, media the eighty six forty seven image they're posed a threat To Donald trump's life and it contained a photo of seashells arranged to read that eighty six being of, course a slang term for to get rid of or throw out, prosecutors alleged, says suggests violence Against. Trump, kobe of, course denies wrong. Doing have a look at, this, well.
Speaker 9: They're, back this time about a picture of seashells on A North carolina beach a year. Ago and this won't be the end of. It but nothing has changed with. Me i'm still. Innocent i'm still not.
Speaker 2: Afraid brave talked there From, Kobe but here's What trump had.
Speaker 10: Say people Like kobe have created a tremendous, DANGER i think for politicians and. Others you, Know comy is a dirty. Cop he's a very dirty. Cop he cheated on the. Elections he tried to Help Hillary. Clinton as you, know he dismissed a lot of things that he should have proceeded. WITH i wasn't, involved but he should have proceeded. With, no he's a dirty. Cop he's a crooked.
Speaker 2: Man dirty, cop crooked. Man but do you think he was actually encouraging violence Against?
Speaker 4: Trump, well, look he's an absolute.
Speaker 8: Disgrace and IF i was his, lawyer AND i was a lawyer for thirty, YEARS.
Speaker 4: I THINK i.
Speaker 8: COULD i THINK i could make a coherent case that he was. Not but you, Know i'm not his, lawyer and it's not my. Problem he would gladly prosecute me or anybody else on the right for the same. Thing so if he wants somebody to go out and defend, him keep. Looking, Dude i'm not there for. You because you made your. Rules now you get to go to the eastern district Of North, carolina which is a very conservative, area and you get to explain to twelve people who decided they would perform their jury service that, no you weren't threatening the. President and ignore all those winks and. Nods we knew what he was. Doing he knew what he was. Doing it's his. PROBLEM i wish we weren't at this. POINT i wish we weren't at the point where a guy who once headed THE fbi is playing these childish. Games but we saw what happened this. Weekend we had a guy who believes everything That James comy believes try and murder The president and a bunch of other. PEOPLE i don't think it's Funny, comy AND i think it's your.
Speaker 4: Problem good, Luck.
Speaker 2: Schlicker thank you so, much love your perspective as, always thanks for.
Speaker 4: Joining, Us thanks for having.
Speaker 2: Me all right, NOW i want to come back to the story of The White House correspondence dinner In, WASHINGTON dc last, week which ended with an alleged assassin in handcuffs and concerns yet again for The president's. Life, well there was a fascinating opinion piece in The New York post connecting this shooting and the suspect To china's influence on social media in THE. Us Cole, allen the alleged, shooter was an enthusiastic user of the left wing social media Platform Blue, sky where accounts Promoting beijing are. Loose let's bring the author of this fantastic, Piece brandon de vine coluornist with The New York. Post, brander thanks so much for coming. On. NOW i want to ask you about what happened there on the night a little, bit but first talk me through this and what's been going on On Blue, sky WHICH i CONFESS i have no visibility on what's going on over, there and what's the connection to Call, allen the alleged attempted.
Speaker 11: Assassin great to be with, You, James, YEAH i mean you wouldn't Know Blue, sky nor DO i, really because it is this kind of ghetto for the worst left wing liberal.
Speaker 12: Thinkers if you can call them.
Speaker 11: That these are people who evacuated from x After Elon musk bought, it but particularly there was a massive exodus after the twenty twenty four election When Donald trump won because they cannot stand to be in the same room with anybody who might not think exactly like.
Speaker 1: Them so That's Blue.
Speaker 11: Sky it's just a ghetto for. Lefties and of course we had This Cole, allen strangely named after someone we know At Cole allen was a devote Of Blue sky and he FOLLOWED i, mean he's such a classic liberal mid.
Speaker 1: Wit there's nothing original.
Speaker 12: Or interesting about the.
Speaker 11: Guy he's just espouses every stupid kind of left wing criticism Of Donald.
Speaker 12: Trump and you, KNOW i guess he thought he was a hero for doing.
Speaker 11: That but that's all the people that he followed On Blue sky are All trump, deranged absolute, nuts you, know at the mainstream kind of academics and. Commentators but there was one THAT i thought was, interesting which if you rank his favorite, accounts was someone Called James, palmer who's a deputy foreign editor At Foreign, policy.
Speaker 12: Which is kind of a neo con, outfit but.
Speaker 11: He's Their china hand and HE i, mean the Pro beijing rubbish that that guy has spouted for a decade has to be seen to be. Believed one of them was SOMETHING i can't remember the exact, headline but it was something along the lines, of you.
Speaker 1: Know gay and lesbians are much better off.
Speaker 12: In china than they are In.
Speaker 11: America you, know it's such a free paradise over there In. China so he's totally drunk the cool lady if he's, not you, know some sort of an. Agent and he was very much favorited and liked By Cole. Allen SO i thought that was interesting because it was a little bit curious in sort of you look at his normal curated group.
Speaker 12: Of people that he, loves left his he.
Speaker 11: Loves there is a lefty who Loves, china so clearly he Loves china, Too and it just got me, THINKING i, mean there's a lot of we know That china has been involved in sort of pushing narratives on social media that are deeply divisive In. America whether or not it invents, them it certainly is all about exacerbating social, division racial, division political. Division it's done so on, TikTok and clearly you Know china will be seeding those.
Speaker 2: Narratives And, randy you were there on the night at the, correspondens just tell us very quickly what it was like from your. Perspective AND i saw there was a lot of journo's pictures of them making off with balls of. Wine did you get it into thing for the home.
Speaker 11: Seller sadly, no BECAUSE i had only one sip of my red wine before everyone around.
Speaker 1: Me all The americans are very you to duck and.
Speaker 12: COVER i.
Speaker 11: WASN'T i was sitting like a lemming in my, seat just wondering why everyone was down underneath the.
Speaker 1: Table and eventually it.
Speaker 11: Dawned on me that, perhaps you, know there was something. Wrong SO i also got down a little. Bit and THEN i was sitting next To Scott, bessett The Treasury, secretary and, yeah he very gallantly said to, me would you like to come with? Me SO i followed him. Out we raced out with his secret service, detail had a rails run out of, there you, know all the sirens, blazing and we ended up drinking red wine at his beautiful. House SO i THINK i had a bit better time than some of my colleagues who were stuck for two hours in the.
Speaker 2: Ballroom that does what a, Gentleman Scott besson Is, HEY i want to ask you. Too rand got about this shocking story About Anthony, fauci the guy who was in charge of advising the US's response to the code. Pandemic, well one of his senior aides this guy Called David morenz has been charged with conspiring to evade requests FOR covid related. Records tell us about, This, brandon because this seems to suspect or suggest the cover up that you AND i have suspected for a long long.
Speaker 11: Time, absolutely and it really should Be fauci facing. Indictment it's his right hand, man his, factotum who is not a very genius, spy because he actually wrote in an email to his colleagues, That, hey thea lady has told me the secret about how not to have our emails discovered by freedom of Information Nosey parker journalists and oversight people In, congress and that, is.
Speaker 12: You, know his secret way of doing it on encrypted, apps.
Speaker 11: Etc so that was pretty, incriminating and that's what he's in trouble. For but you, know he was covering for his, Boss Anthony, fauci who was in it up to his ears because he was a big fan of gain of function research and he did not like the fact that The obama administration had banned, it and so he helped off shore through a third party To. China and you, know we know the rest of the.
Speaker 4: Story we do.
Speaker 2: Know the rest of the. Story, hey very, quickly just want to get your thoughts on the Former Virginia Congressman David, bratt who's going to be the NEW us ambassador To. Australia he's supposed to be mega Mega is this going to be a bit of payback For albanesi's Sending Kevin.
Speaker 1: Rudd, LOOK i Think Dave bratt's going to be.
Speaker 11: Fantastic, obviously he's a Courteous, american so he's not going to be rude to. Anybody but he's absolutely he's tea party, guy he's A trump. Guy he's, solid he's, smart he's just and gregarious and. Fun SO i think that if you can get invitations to any embassy, Parties, james you should be.
Speaker 2: There Absolute, Brandon, well look forward to those invitations and maybe you could come on down and join us for one of. Those thanks so, much as, always Branded vine from The New York. Post, now when we come, back we're going to unpick some of the latest polls showing Where americans are on the big. Issues but, first Does Marco rubio have another new? Job The secretary Of state is famous for taking up extra roles Like National Security advisor and head of The National, archives which birthed internet memes about him becoming everything from the new leader Of iran to the host Of The Don Lemon. Show but his latest job White House press, secretary joking he's taking the role While Carolyn levitt is on material maternity.
Speaker 13: Leave, Thankes, Sure, okay you guys can't put this, out can you.
Speaker 2: Guys well there's a good try. There but the, press well they really help him land that. One oh, well maybe they were still drunk off the line they stole from The Correspondence Dinner Don't Go. Away The great Pole Guru Larry grossman is on after the. Break, hey welcome back to the. Program, now the midterms are going to be upon us before you know, it and there's still a whole lot of issues playing On american minds which could swing votes one way or the. Other for, example a recent pull From gallup found inflation and high, prices not, surprisingly are continuing to Top americans list of their most important financial. Concerns around a third of those polled believes, so which is among the highest In gallops more than twenty year trend. History to talk about this and a whole lot, more let's bring in our Polling, Guru managing director of THE Ct GROUP, Us Larry. Grossman, larry thanks for joining me here on the. Program, obviously there's a lot of economic stuff playing out right now out of The iran, war but even before, that what's your reaction to how the economy is playing out in the polls and what does that mean for The republican, brand For trump and more going into the.
Speaker 14: MIDTERMS i think you have to start with what the president promised on election, day which was he was going to solve the inflation problem on day number, one right after he was sworn in On january, twentieth a year, ago and that clearly hasn't. Happened SO i think people are now experiencing now four or five six years of. Inflation, obviously it's not as bad as it was when it peaked out around eight or nine, percent but, PEOPLE i, think, were both based on past experience during inflationary times as well as from what The president, promised ready to see some growth here in their earning power and some benefit to. Themselves and that's clearly not what they're seeing every single day when they drive past their gas station and they see increasing.
Speaker 2: Prices, yes, so and then is that flowing through to food, prices grocery prices and so, on because you, KNOW i remember When trump came into, office there was all the, oh you, know he's not bringing the price of eggs down and so. On have grocery, prices those sorts of day to day consumer, things are they still continuing to bite or has there been any relief or was there? Relief but now The iran war is kicking that off.
Speaker 14: AGAIN i think we're always starting to see the impact of the around war on food on food. Prices you, know there's been there's been a lot publicized about the cost of the increased cost of fertilizer for. Farmers obviously that gets passed on. Consumers you, know we talk about, gasoline but aircraft fuel has gone up even higher and faster than gasoline has for. Automobiles so we're going to see that in, travel especially as we come to our summer months as people travel for. Vacations but on food, prices absolutely every single, day the cost of bananas and tomatoes and everything else you want to buy on a daily basis keep going up here in THE.
Speaker 2: Us, yeah well you should come To australia, sometimes let me tell. You but then what is this then having an effect then on the presidents versus a demo rats? Brands you know underwater in the, Polls trump seems to be not doing great in the net positive favorability. Rankings but is that also then bleeding through to The republican. Brand how does that then play through to the broader midterm equation because you, know people will separate one from the other or maybe.
Speaker 4: Not what are you?
Speaker 14: Seeing, Yeah so what you have to look at is the forty to fifty toss up or competitive races around the. Country AND i think what you see in every single one of those is that in the generic Ballot democrats Versus, republicans not specifically about specific, candidates but in the generic, ballots The democrats are outpolling The republicans everywhere you. Go and where the most alarming thing For republicans are in what in districts that were plus fifteen plus thirteen For trump in the twenty twenty four, elections that's now a one or two point. Margin so suddenly there's more competitive. Races SO i think you're seeing in all the polls around the country and the congressional, seats not only Are democrats Outpulling republicans across the traditional block of forty competitive. Seats you're starting to see more seats come into, play and that'll just force everyone to spend more money and to focus on seats that maybe a year ago they might have thought, there you, know they'd be plus four plus five For republicans versus now being just dead. Heats and, Obviously, james as we've talked about in the, past this is a this is somewhat traditional in our mid term. Elections you, know we saw similar things in twenty, eighteen and past presidents had seen similar. Things Bill clinton lost control of The house in ninety, four and the same thing happened To trump or To bush in two thousand and. Six but this is this is if you're if you're A republican member of The house Of representatives right, now you're you're looking at being in a minority in just in what three or four?
Speaker 2: Months, yeah, yeah, yeah, No, LOOK i think that's where that's where we're seeing. This but as you, say it is the traditional direction that things go in the off season. Elections but let's then throw this forward then to twenty twenty. Eight one of the things That i'm really interested in now Is where are The democrats going to land on? This i've seen yet another series of polls saying that this one's The Harvard harris poll showing Former Vice President Kamala harris still seem to be amazingly the people's preferred choice For democrat. Nominee how much of this and she in this poll she leads with, Black, White hispanic And Asian. Democrats how much of this is just simply the name recognition that she has and most people aren't switched on to other potential, candidates and there are a number of names out there The democrats have on the, Bench and how much of this is actually people, say, well we could give her a. Go would The democrats do? This tell me what you? THINK i.
Speaker 14: THINK i think it's one hundred percent legacy of having run for president just a year, ago and that no one has focused on the president of The United states while they're trying to focus on how to pay for gasoline and how to pay for food and how to pay for a war which majority Of americans don't. SUPPORT i don't THINK i saw the same. POLL i think it's an interesting observation mostly about the power of name.
Speaker 2: Recognition, yeah AND i Mean one of the things you are seeing from some of the Senior, democrats you, know if you talk to, them where you read some of the tea leaves of some of the news, stories is they do seem to be sounding an alarm, though saying you, know, guys let's not make this mistake again twice. Here we've got to get some of these other people out there and start to do some introduction of some of these other folks and potential characters into the. Mix are you seeing any of?
Speaker 14: That, no, THIS i mean this is an important.
Speaker 1: Issue.
Speaker 14: Obviously you don't run as A, democrat you run as an, individual and we have to have somebody who becomes the eventual nominee For president of The United states from The Democratic. Party the same thing is going to be true for The, republicans and we just haven't gotten to that point yet where people are paying much attention to politics generally except for one, individual The president of The United, states who the majority Of americans dislike or at least dislike the job he's doing right. Now AND i think they're disliking everything about. It they dislike the, war they dislike his, ballroom they dislike his arc de, triomph AND i think PEOPLE i saw a poll today where no one really likes his image On american passports going, forward and SO i think as we get past The november, elections the midterm, elections then it will certainly be all the focuses on who's going to be The democratic nominee and who's going to be The republican. Nominee and that's going to be interesting, too because you have two clear front runners with The Vice President Jade vance and The secretary Of State Marco. Rubio but it doesn't necessarily mean it's going to be a clear field with others not posting and giving it to.
Speaker 10: Go.
Speaker 2: Yeah and, finally, Look, lair this is really, interesting AND i want to just get one last sort of double barreled question in here for. You with everything that you're saying About Donald trump and the polls about how people feel about, him is there anything that he could do if you were advising, him IF ct group was advising him and, said you, know these are the things you need to, do is there anything that he can do to turn that image? Around and on the other, hand is there a point at which the kind of Anti, trump Never trump vote tops out its enthusiasm and hits a ceiling and there's something there to work. With on The republican, side.
Speaker 14: It's probably pretty close to that. ALREADY i, mean if you, look if you look at the president's support Of, republicans he gets ninety percent of that and maybe he's lost ten percent of, that so maybe he's down to eighty percent Of republicans. Support that's a pretty strong base that he has going forward right. Now the, question AND i think this is what Congressional republicans And republicans around the, country whether it's governor's, races you, Know nevada is a good one to pay attention, to is you, know what are you doing to support? Us The president is not on the, ballot but he is actually at the very top of the ballot because he personifies The Republican. Party he is the leader of the. Party it is it, is it is his, party AND i think that's what members Of congress are asking. People people have questioned on days he's he's and if you ask me to give, advice it's all about message for, him message. Discipline but the president's a grown, man AND i think it's it's it's probably a challenge right now to keep him focused on one narrow thing every day when he speaks to the press for four or five hours a, day.
Speaker 2: It's it's sort of the opposite problem That Joe biden had of not speaking to the press at all and causing a. Problem so he speaks too much and causes himself problems the other. Way Larry, grossman thank you so much for your Tom really appreciate. It now stick, around don't go. Anywhere film critic and entertainment. Journalists Christian toto is on after the. Break but, first if you were the mayor of a major, city would you be happy or upset that investors and wealthy people were leaving your? Town, WELL i bet you'd be, Upset BUT i also bet that you were Not seattle's socialist, Mayor Katie, wilson who responded to the idea that rich people might leave if she kept asking taxing them to death this, WAY i think the claims that millionaires are going to leave our state are like super.
Speaker 15: Overblown and if you know the ones that leave like, bye so.
Speaker 4: Yep.
Speaker 2: Bye just for a few minutes, Though because the Great Christian toto is on after the, break welcome back to the. Program, well THE Us Federal Communications commission has ordered a review of the license of THE US abc network After Donald trump And First Lady malania Demanded Jimmy kimmel be fired over this.
Speaker 4: Joke our First Lady milania is.
Speaker 16: Here look at, most so, Beautiful Missus, trump you have a glow like an expectant.
Speaker 2: Widow many, feeling in light of the attempts on The president's life that this was, well completely inappropriate and even. Dangerous But, kimmel for his, part he's come out.
Speaker 4: Swinging it was a pretend.
Speaker 16: ROAST i, said our First Lady mlania is, Here look at, her so, Beautiful Missus, trump you have a glow like an expectant, widow which obviously was a joke about their age difference and the look of joy we see on her face every time they're. Together it was a very light roast joke about the fact that he's almost eighty and she's younger THAN i.
Speaker 4: Am it was, not by any.
Speaker 16: Stretch of the, definition a call to, assassination and they know.
Speaker 2: That, Sure, JIMMY i believe, you millions wouldn't to discuss. This let's bring In Christian, toto host of The hollywood In toto podcast and The hollywood And toto. Website jimmy Not. Jimmy, Sorry, christian got you confused. This thanks so much for coming on to discuss. This this is such a fascinating case to me here because on the one, hand it highlights so Many hollywood, Hypocrisies but on the other hand is somebody who's pretty much a free speech. ABSOLUTIST i almost feel, like, WELL i actually do feel, like if he wants to make really offensive and stupid and sick, jokes let him reveal himself for who he. Is but tell, Me, christian where do on which side of this line do you come down?
Speaker 15: On?
Speaker 4: YEAH i agree with.
Speaker 15: You WHAT i can't stop thinking about is the. Hypocrisy this is the SAME abc Slash disney that Cut roseanne bar for one really awful.
Speaker 1: Tweet one, tweet one bad.
Speaker 15: Tweet she's. Gone, Also disney Fired Gina carano for a plea for tolerance that was a bit clumsy for. Sure so there's no standards. Here and Basically Jimmy kim can say whatever he wants because he has the right kind of. Politics, Yeah I'm i'm a free speech. GUY i don't want him fired for, This BUT i also can't stop thinking about all these other cases where they just let people.
Speaker 2: Go, well and what sort of effect is this having On kimmel's ratings and with his, show because you, know he had that big bump after the last converse he several months, ago and then he seemed to tail off. Again is this even you, know as a just taken away from the free speech and the philosophical, idea just as a business model for THE abc? Network is this working for?
Speaker 4: Them?
Speaker 1: WELL i say yes and.
Speaker 15: No, listen his ratings have gone up a little bit since the whole initial one week. Suspension no doubt they are bigger now than they were When Stephen colbert leaves The Late show in a few, weeks they may g it even. Bigger but look at it this, WAY cbs, said The Late show is losing them forty million dollars a.
Speaker 4: Year.
Speaker 15: Now do you think That jimmy kimmellive is so different and so? PROFITABLE i don't think. So i'd love to kind of back to curtain and find those numbers. Out but until we, do we just have to kind of look at what's going on as.
Speaker 4: Is but it's not the old.
Speaker 15: Days these shows don't get that big revenue booth they don't get the big, numbers but, Sadly Jimmy kimmel is on the. Rise it's a modest, bump but it's a. Bump. Nonetheless well that.
Speaker 2: Brings me to this other sort of question, Here, christian which is, that what do you think about these? Conferences you, know If Jimmy kimmel made that joke and people like The president and frankly people like me didn't go out ON tv and say this is really terrible in appalling that he's made this sort of, joke.
Speaker 4: Nobody would pay any attention to.
Speaker 2: It is there what's called the streisand effect about? This we're getting angry about the joke and pointing out the outrage, actually in a weird sort of, way winds up strengthening the hand of someone Like Jimmy.
Speaker 4: Kimmel. YEAH i.
Speaker 15: Agree, LISTEN i get where the first lady weighs in on this because she's lived through this several. Times her husband merely got killed at a BUTLER pa, rally SO i get her emotional plea to, hey get to cut this stuff. OFF i disagree with What President trump. Says first of, all he needs to be a free speech absolute as. Well it's not his right to say you're off the. Air that's just the way he.
Speaker 4: Is it's a lot of.
Speaker 15: Bluster thankfully it doesn't follow any. Actions he's not Forcing kimmel off the. Air he's just kind of bloviating on the. Matter SO i. AGREE i think if we ignored, it it would go. Away but we're in a cultural. Moment we don't seem to know. Anything everything that's. Outrageous we just kind of pylon AND i think it gives him more. Attention and you, Know kimmel needs those, ratings he needs more. Press and even if it's negative, press the people who Hate trump and they are, legion they're going to rally to.
Speaker 2: Him well, yeah of course they, are and they're they're going to be all over this like a. Rash but when you think about, it so what are the? RULES i, mean there's this call for THE abc license to be. Revoked obviously there's The First, amendment which is the foundational touchdow to free speech In, america AND i think a lot of people In australia are jealous that we don't have that. Here but what are the broadcast? RULES i, mean is this foul of broadcast? Rules about what you can say on the public regulated airways.
Speaker 15: Spectrum that's where this conversation gets tricky because there's no hard and fast. Rules but because it is a broadcast, medium.
Speaker 1: It's a little bit.
Speaker 15: Different we're not talking about a podcast or CABLE tv or anything. Streaming it has a different set of, rules but they really haven't been strictly. Enforced but my worry is if you start to enforce, them if you kind of Push Jimmy kimmel, away what happens in a few Years you've got a different president in The White. House they don't like what's going on on BROADCAST. Tv it genuinely seems like a slippery, slope and it's frustrating for. SURE i think that we have to err in the side of free speech and let him show who he really. Is who is someone who's deeply, unfunny filled with, rage AND i just DON'T i can't even, imagine even if you're a well meaning liberal, person why are you watching? Him what's entertaining about? It it's almost like a train.
Speaker 4: Wreck, WELL i think.
Speaker 2: It's more of a sort of psychological catharsis for some of those on the, left just to kind of get that. Out but you, know just on this whole question too of more broadly biased In hollywood and the fort of. MEDIA i want to talk about the new movie adaptation Of George orwell's Classic Animal. Farm, now probably everybody out there is Red Animal. Farm it's a great sort of metaphor for The Russian revolution And stalin And lenin And trotsky and all of. That but this time, around it's not the communists whoer being. Lampoon it's actually this weird sort of anti, consumerist anti capitalist. Thing, now the whole film looks. Awful here's a little bit of the, trailer.
Speaker 9: This is our.
Speaker 2: Home IF i had to show any more of, that everybody would switch.
Speaker 4: Off it looks.
Speaker 2: Horrendous but you, know what do you make of this remaking of a classic, tale a classic warning about the dangers of collectivism into, talitarianism and turning it into ooh, no the evil.
Speaker 15: Capitalists but we know what they, say if it ain't, broke let's fix. It that's what they've. Done and it's a real mishmash because you're looking at a story that's trying to appease children and younger, audiences and you're dealing with this classic text that has really, heavy dark. Themes you put them together and no one will be. Pleased it's really it's almost like a train wreck of a. FILM i just mentioned that, before BUT i don't know what they were trying.
Speaker 4: For but, again if you've.
Speaker 15: Got to Do Animal, farm you can't lose the basic premise of the. Story it's about. Totalitarianism it's not about these, cute fuzzy animals who are worried about. Capitalism it's just it's angering. Everyone AND i guess.
Speaker 4: LISTEN i like.
Speaker 15: Movies that provoke a discussion and. DEBATE i think that's generally. Healthy but here it's just a debate about who hates it.
Speaker 2: More, YEAH i don't know if there's been a good animated movie Since Cars Christian. Toner we're gonna have to leave it. There thank you so much for your. Time really appreciate having you on. Here now stick around because coming up only In america is. Next but, first the internet had a meltdown this week when footage resurfaced Of ilhanomar Calling World war two World war eleven because she misread The roman numerals in her.
Speaker 4: Script, yep she really.
Speaker 2: Did well what is it they say about glass? Houses, well remember this is a lady who Thinks Donald trump is an.
Speaker 4: Idiot these people are just.
Speaker 17: IDIOTS i, really you, Know i'm at the point where it's become really hard to have an intellectual debate with any of these. People the dumbing of The United states has, arrived because how else do we Get trump presidency. Again the last time The Alien Enemies act was, invoked it was used to detain and Deport, German Japanese italian immigrants Doing World war.
Speaker 2: Eleven World war, eleven we must be up to What World war seventy? Five by? Now go? Away Only america is coming up at you. Next welcome back to the, Program and now it's time for a little segment we like.
Speaker 4: To call only In.
Speaker 2: America, well now you all know THAT ai is in the news these. Days but for our friends at The babylon b they have decided to use this new technology for good and not, evil to imagine a world without.
Speaker 4: Democrats take it.
Speaker 18: Away world peace has been, declared with peace treaties signed with the eight countries left That america hasn't. Obliterated Nean francisco sure is clean and vagrant. Free that's because all the homeless people had to get jobs or starved to.
Speaker 7: Death look the rain, now, wow it's the symbol Of god's promise.
Speaker 4: To noah and absolutely nothing.
Speaker 15: Else what a great fully automatic rifle you got without needing a.
Speaker 12: Permit only problem is there are no criminals to.
Speaker 2: Shoot yeah, yeah but until that reality comes, TRUE AI i guess isn't gonna take my, Job so stay stafe out. There see you next week and bright and early For outsiders nine am right here On Sky. News bye.
Speaker 4: Bye