Speaker 1: I my Boris and this is a straight talk a bit of ball. How are you doing it? A straight talk MANE leave a war torn Sedan, you able to live in Egypt, you end up in the warmbar. Then you go to Perth and you know you're representing your country nominated to be Australian year, and then you just get whack. Yeah, how do you pick yourself up?
Speaker 2: It's such a xusition. You're you're just not you and your own now. It's like if you're not at the right mindset, it could destroy you. I had no English at all, moving moving to Australia, you find out pretty quickly that you're you're the odd one out and now you're in this race to kind of adapt. And everyone was shocked, like whoa, Like you really have a talent for this, and I think you should do it outside of school. And I just said, I don't really want to run. It's not it's not my passion. Really, yeah, it was just not my thing. It wasn't until again, I kept losing and coming second. I was pretty competitive.
Speaker 1: I want to win. It sounds like you're good at every bloody thing, but don't tell me a great swim. It no no bitter bowl. Hey you do a straight talk mane.
Speaker 2: No, thank you for having me. I've been one thing to come here for. It's pretty cool. Good to be first fall Tell me what Yeah.
Speaker 1: Actual first name is, Like, it's not Peter. Yeah, I think that's a great start. My first name is does it mean something? Yeah?
Speaker 2: So in Ira Regardy is my first language. Nugement is a star, and then din is religion. Actually interestingly yeah, okay.
Speaker 1: And and your your religion, your Muslim is religion. And because because what I got confused is how you got Peter in there? Because Peter is a Christian name. And did your parents name me Peter or do they call you something completely different? Now?
Speaker 2: They actually called me something completely different. My parents actually never called me Peter or they called me. I'm Tia, which is a nickname they gave me when I was a little little baby back home and they kept that forever.
Speaker 1: Does it mean something?
Speaker 2: Uh, it's one of my relative's name. So they just named me after them.
Speaker 1: And they okay, so so had you have Peter.
Speaker 2: When I moved here, we kind of just selected a different name.
Speaker 1: Yeah. My man was like that when he came in Australia.
Speaker 2: No, one could really pronounce your name.
Speaker 1: And yeah, that's and that's a bit of a thing. I mean for people who migrate this country from a different language or different culture and language, the first thing you want to do is trumphit in. Yeah, you know, like and you would have been how how how old were you when you came here?
Speaker 2: I was ten years old the first touchdown in Australia.
Speaker 1: So were you like cognisant the fact that your name was not when you went to school? He was you cognisant of the fact that your name was not not like everyone else in the class's name. And was it was it you who said IM call miss l Peter.
Speaker 2: Or yeah, yeah it was I think I don't even remember. It's such a long time ago, but yeah, I think it was me.
Speaker 1: It was.
Speaker 2: It was pretty pretty hard. And interestingly, oh, my brother's names are are kind of similar. So I've got four brothers and one is Sempstead Din, one is my head Din, and one is better at Din and one is Din. So we all have the din in it and super Arabic names. And when you come here you realize, like everyone's names are kind of different and no one can pronounce your name is like a struggle. So actually, in reflection, I wish I kind of just went with my last name just Bowl, which is a lot easier to say.
Speaker 1: And pronounce, and make that your first name. Make that Oh well, hey Bowl Bobo. Yeah yeah cool, that's cool, Yeah that is cool. Yeah yeah. But Peter sort of makes sense, like like I don't know why you chose Peter, but maybe it was someone that you met the called because I remember my father Tomas story that when his youngest brother came to Australia, his name is athanass Athanasos, but the guy at the what do you call it the immigration couldn't pronounce it because it's obviously written in Greek, and he said, we're called you Arthur, and now he's Arthur because it sounds the same, Like my family just stuck with it, and now he's uncle Arthur or Artie, which is like very assy, very very easy and similar to you. Like he came here about he would have been about ten when he came to Australia and like so Australian, I it is ridiculous, So I can ask you about that. So how much of growing up pre coming to Australia do you think form part of who Peter Bowl is today pre Australia.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's a really good question, and it's really hard to break up because we've kind of shifted from different places in different cultures. I was born in Sadan and Katum and that's the Sydanese and South Sudanese culture. My dad South Sudanese and well tell.
Speaker 1: Me about it that most audiences wouldn't know much about that culture.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So my dad South sudanes so that's where the ball comes from. And my mum is from a Nuba tribe in the North Sudan and that's where the Arabic path comes from legement Din. There is much difference between heaps of difference South Sudan, different religion, different languages. So my mom and dad actually speak two different languages. My dad speaks a trible language called Denka and my mom speaks her.
Speaker 1: Trible language called Nuba.
Speaker 2: And growing up, we actually spoke Nuba with my mom because we grew up with my mom's side of the family never actually spoke my dad's language because he was he was kind of the odd one out growing up with all my mom has so many siblings and brothers and family and that's who we're around.
Speaker 1: Uh.
Speaker 2: And then and then the national language in Saddan is Arabic, So I think we just stuck to that because it was just a lot easier.
Speaker 1: Spoke Arabic. Yeah, my dad speaks, so that was a common language, and that's the common Arabic. But if you want to have a cracked dad, you spoken uage. But I've actually completely forgot my mom real.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we're so little, like like I mean, Alison, when I was six years old and when we met to Egypt, Egypt is the primary arab is the primary language Egypt, and you just stuck to that and that's all you spoke, and you spoke at home, so that became the primary language as well.
Speaker 1: Arab You still speak Arabic. I still speak fluent read right.
Speaker 2: I can I can only read now. I've kind of lost the reading and writing, so I can only speak it fluently.
Speaker 1: You speak, but do you speak it's still at home with your mum and.
Speaker 2: Yeah, brothers, yeah speaking now, i'd actually speak to my brothers. I only speak it to my parents. Wow, yeah, and some in friends.
Speaker 1: It's it's funny, you know, like you know, like when you're I mean I'm a first generation, so I don't know other than what my dad's or said and what I experienced watching my dad. But it'll be interesting to hear from someone who actually is an immigrant who came here, you know, before I became a teenager. What is the How do you feel when you arrive in the country like Australia. Do you remember when you when first maybe the first time at school everyone speaking a different language? Did you have English? In English? No?
Speaker 2: I had I had no English at all moving moving to Australia. But interestingly, every time I reflect on it, I think was it was a lot easier because as a ten year old you tend to pick up things pretty quickly. Yeah, and you go to school, and I think what I had. The advantage I had on my side is that I had four brothers and we all end up similar in the same school, so you have something familiar that you can go catch up with your brothers during recess and lunch and whatnot. But you find out pretty quickly that you're the odd one out and if you can't if you can't understand the language, every single class becomes really difficult to go to and you just get nervous go into every single class. The only class that kind of made sense with sports, because like, you pick it up really quickly and it's universal. But on top of and then you find out, on top of the language, the culture is completely different too. We had a complete different culture back home, and now you're on dis race to kind of adapt. And while you're on disraced to adapt, you're also you're also in the race you trying to learn the language. And then the conflicting part I think was was that the people that you looked up to, which is I think the head of the house, which is your parents, they don't get to experience them, so they remain their culture the whole way because they come here pretty old, don't go to school, and don't have many Australian friends, and they stay around the community. So you go to school and you try and adapt to everything, and then you come back home back to your own culture, and then you have this conflicting side because you're going to school, like most of the day, you're spending time, and then over the years you start picking up Australian culture and you're going back home it's like, well, where does our culture kind of fit in the middle and that's kind of I think it was really challenging finding that. Rather than everything else, finding the language and getting to know people and all that and making friends, I think was trying to find out where you fit in in a different culture and how much do you try to adapt to a new culture while maintaining your own sense of purpose and who you are.
Speaker 1: When you first came to shop, where'd you gos sort of settle down? Timba Toombo queen cle Oh my god, like especially like fifteen years ago, like more twenty years ago now, Turmber was like fairly Aussie, Yeah why but uh the fuck? Like why too?
Speaker 2: Like we never asked questions because we didn't know much of Australia.
Speaker 1: Someone sent you there, they know.
Speaker 2: My dad actually had family in Turmber, and I think what happened around that time there was a lot of migration through Tomba and there was heaps of work to be done. I think there was a lot of fieldwork and heaps of Sytan needs well moved there and Tumba back then. So there was actually a big Sitaney community back in tumber around that time, from two thousand and two thousand and four. Yeah, we actually grew up with heaps of and these kids around.
Speaker 1: It was like a community sort of thing. Yeah, so what what did you guys leave behind in and not so much in Egypt, but what did you leave behind Sudan in order before we went to Egypt? Like, was it like a civil war? What was going on? Yea, it was.
Speaker 2: I mean Soti as we speak right now, it's still going through tension and civil war. Like my grandma's still there, and I think it's it's pretty hard for my mom at the moment because she wants to see her every time, but it's she can't go there. It's not safe to go there, and she's getting pretty old. So I think the story never really changed between that conflicts, civil wars and stuff like that that you have back there. So that's kind of the way we left and my dad just relocated us all to Egypt.
Speaker 1: May not pardners, but is it a religious what's going on?
Speaker 2: What's the World's probably actually a Muslim country in the north anyway, So in twenty eleven they've got the independence from from South Souda and obviously and so it wasn't really about religion. It's all about power between between I guess the leaders and the people. That's it's been the same story for years.
Speaker 1: And is it full on, like as in like you know, yeah, people getting killed.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's full on. It's probably not televised as much, but it's pretty full on. It's been going for years.
Speaker 1: I guess it's and I don't know, I'm very much about them, but I guess it's not as publicly talked about because there's no oil there or something like that. It's just there's probably no nothing rich there, like if if it was Middle East or something like that. Because of the oil, et cetera. Everyone's talking about it and every going to be buttoning and sort of putting the two bobs with him, But he's much going on Sudan. I mean, prior to this war, did you ever see it in peaceful? No?
Speaker 2: Actually, sadly no. But when I was at school, I think that was probably the most peaceful part of it. And you could go back to Sudan. So my my family actually went back to down a few times while we're at school. But ever since, it's kind of been on enough on enough and and I think peaceful it really depends like it's being kind of corrupt for a while. But was it safe enough to go there. Yes, he was safe, but still wasn't at the standard that you'd probably consider it safe enough. But if you were Sudanese and you knew people, you could go there and get away. But now it's completely unsafe to go.
Speaker 1: And do you feel it's Peter Bowl? Does he feel like he's more Sudanese or more today?
Speaker 2: I mean obviously a combination, but combination, yeah, obviously combination of both. And interesting enough, I spent more of my life in Australia than I than I.
Speaker 1: Did back home.
Speaker 2: But but what made me is is the culture and the personnel that I got I got back from home. So it's almost like bang On in the middle, Like my my heritage and my identity comes from being having suit and his father and his mother and that's and that's that's who Peter Bowl is. And then obviously coming adopting to a new country and and finding sport, finding the love for a new country, that's who I am now. So it's definitely both.
Speaker 1: Of them, and from Timbert Withrigenda.
Speaker 2: From Timber, I think we were four years there and then we moved to Perth, so all the I O was waside.
Speaker 1: Why Perth it's actually beautiful Perth, but like it was it chasing work feed da.
Speaker 2: Yeah, my dad obviously didn't didn't have education and there was so much work in Timber, so he kind of relocated us all to Perth.
Speaker 1: And as your dad and and or mom sports sports people.
Speaker 2: No they're not actually, but my dad, my dad, you can tell if he ever had the opportunity, you get pretty far. I think it's it's always about opportunity and if he could have done it. I don't think he ever had that opportunity to do any sport. But I remember as a kid we used to race and he'd beat all of us, like he's his strong. Saudis are really strong, powerful, and he.
Speaker 1: Described it because I don't know, so describe you know what it is? Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, So they actually don't look the way I look because they're a lot taller. I'm considered pretty short for South Sudanese average heart. It's probably six to one now six to two, so wow, they're pretty tall. My dad's pretty tall, really strong.
Speaker 1: Really powerful human inters of physique.
Speaker 2: Physique, Yeah, really really strong. So growing up I used to look up to him a lot.
Speaker 1: He was just it was just this.
Speaker 2: Big guy and athletics, so it was school to see that. And then and then my brothers and that's Nordens, my mom's side, the Nuba tripe. They're short, like really short, so completely different genetics, right, And it was always like, who's genetics are you're going to get? And I think my brother's actually all got my dad's genetics, and I got I think my mom's height, which is kind of crazy because I actually consider myself the least athletic.
Speaker 1: In the family.
Speaker 2: He took me in terms of looking at in terms of physicality, physicality, and also in terms of in terms of talent. I remember a few a few stories my little brother who went to the same school as I did back in Perth, and obviously I came to school, broke all the records and he'd just break him after me. And he didn't really train and do anything. So he was just naturally, naturally more gifted than I was and he barely trained.
Speaker 1: A different physique.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's taller and a bit stronger.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and then we talk we're talking about just when you say we're talking about running or you jump.
Speaker 2: He broke my high jump record, long jump and running, So you were doing a lot.
Speaker 1: So when you were at school, yeah, you weren't just an eight hundred meter runner or a middle distance runner. You're more everything.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, because again, like coming coming from where we came from, there wasn't there wasn't much outside of football. We played soccer and that's purely what we played. And you go to school here, there's there's all these sports that I chucked at you, and you're like, man, I would I'd love to give it a go. So when it was only purely just through athletics, carnivals and whatnot, and it's like, yeah, I want to give high jump a go. Like I think I jumped at school. I jumped one eighty and I could on Frosby flops. It was a sissy kick.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's the old scissors. This is as opposed to the West roll or whatever they call it.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, so I could jump pretty high.
Speaker 1: What'd you say? One one? That's not bad because like when you consider the records like two ten or two twenty.
Speaker 2: Yeah yeah, so it's it's not that far kick. And then my brother broke it and jumped like one eighty five and he could scissor kick that.
Speaker 1: And for those who don't know this is means you don't turn on your side. You actually run and jump up and one leg goes over and the other leg follows. Yeah, like a scissor. Like a scissor. Yeah, yeah, that's mad. Like that's so old school. Probably stops just kicking twenty years ago at the high levels, at the say, Olympic levels, et cetera. At every level. I think, because you get much mechanically, you can jump much higher if you do the other style. But when I was a school, they called the western robert as oppose. Yeah, so but I don't know what you call it. Now you just mentioned another name. I don't know what it is. But yeah, there's just biomechanically a much more efficient way of jumping over the high jump. So but one eighty five that's pretty high. That's pretty high.
Speaker 2: But if you'd never done long jump before and someone tells us you get off the bar, I think the easiest way he's probably trying to do this is a kick. Wow, you don't have that training, so you just try to get over instead of Frosby.
Speaker 1: So when you went to school, when you first time on Perth, how were were so?
Speaker 2: How old? I was probably just out of primary so I was. I was fourteen fifteen.
Speaker 1: So you're a local school in Perth, which where we're talking about.
Speaker 2: Per I was on the south side, so we grew up in Thornleigh the whole time I was in Perth.
Speaker 1: Okay, So there's this kid at the local school. The first athletic carnival comes up. At this stage you speak in English probably perfectly. Yeah, yeah, and they say the athletic Carnival's coming up, and there wouldn't be many kids from Sedan in your school in Perth.
Speaker 2: In Perth, actually sure, yeah, yeah, for sure.
Speaker 1: And because I lived over there for a while, it was a pretty unusual. So I love Perth. It's pretty unusual sort of plays relative to the restress and as multicultural as a rest a lot of Asian people now, but not very multicultural generally speaking, because Asian is very close to Perth, or seeing pol was very close to Perth and it is quite as short commute. Indonesia is quite close to And they see this kid and they go in the athletic carnival and did everyone so to say, what the fuck? Who's this guy? Yeah? Yeah.
Speaker 2: When when we went to Perth, it was actually like I can't I didn't like it because we spent his four years trying to adapt and make friends, and now you've got to move to a different, different state and then you find out like it's across the country. So it was it was a little bit tough. But I wasn't really interested in athletics either. I wasn't doing athletics.
Speaker 1: I wasn't interested.
Speaker 2: No, no, no like. And I think that's purely because I thought about it a lot, and I think purely because athletics is individual sport. I never grew up individually. I grew up with with a team of brothers and family. We've moved everywhere together, We've played and shared everything, and athletics is just individuals just made no sense, made no sense. And and on top of that, like running is just just doing lips.
Speaker 1: Is boring, totally boring.
Speaker 2: I did not want anything to do with that, but I was. I was good at it, and and I went to school where it was compulsory, like a cross country was compulsory. I really had to run. Swimming, carnivals was kind of compulsory everything. So I'd rock up and I would win cross country and and everyone would be like impressed. It was like man, this is this is just what we did. Like it's not it's not a big deal. We just we just ran around so many times. So I think it impressed everyone, but I was. I was so passionate about basketball, and I actually went to that school in a basketball schoolship. So I just wanted to stay, to stay playing basketball, and.
Speaker 1: We obviously, I mean, it sounds like you're good at every bloody thing. But you know, okay, tell me, don't tell me a great swimmer too. Was that, don't tell me you're a great swimmer too? No, no, no, told basketball athletics jumping the pool to one hundred Carnival. I was kind of sick. I actually ropped up to the pool. Yeah, well, I actually make you feel bit better now because I was tanting to get a bit sort of annoyed with myself when I'm annoyed with my own genetics. But so, but you you love your is that you're still your first love basketball?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I would say as a support to watch too, as a support to watch, yeah, definitely.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And if I go back to the running though, like you, they're putting across country and you're going to just have a blitz in the cross country if you know a lot about buying mechanics. Now obviously you know a lot about buying mechanics, and and I want to go back to if you attended as or the equivalent of the West Australian Institute Sport, if I assume there is one, or did you go to any of the Institute's sports. I want to come back to that in a second. But in terms of biomechanics, what do you think it is that especially when you're say fifteen year old and I don't know if you're the same size as fifteen as you right now, whether you're early mature, and in terms of general stature, what do you think it is that makes a good runner for safer distance let's call it eight hundred middle distance and beyond.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I mean it's it's definitely. I think that advantage we have where I'm naturally pretty light and quick on my feet. So if you've got to have that power, you're going to have that endurance, which I was winning cross country at school without any training, so I've had that natural endurance and then you just had to biomechanically you have to get stronger and have that power, so and naturally as you grow you get stronger and bigger, so like my times are just improving as I continue to grow. So there's the strength component which you have to have. There's the physique that you kind of have. We naturally have that physiquecause being so servents, we're tall, I'm quite skinny, but powerful. Yeah, so it makes it makes for a great runner because.
Speaker 1: You got your leg and I know when I've watched you when you've competed, and you've got long legs, very long legs. Yeah, long legs relative to the your torso so to speak as opposed to say someone like me, I got a long tor so and short legs, so I'm obleiss. But but and then you know your the powers because comes from the back of your body, like your glutes or your posterior chain.
Speaker 2: Yeah, glutes and core and cork. We got strong core.
Speaker 1: But so would you would you say that that's just natural? Well? You was your dad saying to you everyone to listen, get do sit ups or something.
Speaker 2: No, my dad, interestingly, as my dad has never told me to go to training in in my life, like neither has my mom. But I always thought it was natural. But then you think about it, like where where we came from we we didn't have much, but we can't at each other, and every single chance we get we were training, like but we it wasn't structured. We were always out there playing football, running around. That's all we did. So so you build strength, right, you're wrestling with your brothers. You're doing this and I remember growing up we used to do boxing with each other. So you think it's natural, but there was. You were just training, but you just didn't really think about it.
Speaker 1: And at what stage did someone say to you aka Peter, like we've been watching you in school sports and you know various carnivals, et cetera, we want you to join athletic club.
Speaker 2: When I think it was when I was year ten, when I was yet ten, and you have obviously the school class country, which are one, and then you had the inter school cross country, which gets a little bit more serious. Now you've competing against every single school and you have kids that are specializing in athletics, and and I came second and everyone was shocked. Like I was like, it was like whoa, Like you really have a talent for this, and I think you should do it outside of school. And I kind of like just declined in a nice way, and I just said, I don't I don't really want to run. It's not it's not my passion. Really, Yeah, it was just not my thing. So I think it wasn't until year twelve. Again I kept losing and coming second, and I was pretty competitive, like growing U would rather be super competitive. I was like, why why am I always coming second?
Speaker 1: Like I want to win?
Speaker 2: And I took the offer in eleven and I started training outside of I started school.
Speaker 1: But was it somebody who who sort of like picked you out as great potential like something my teacher?
Speaker 2: Actually, my teacher picked me and she had a conversation with me, like I think for two years in a row, trying to convince me to do this outside of school.
Speaker 1: And she was persistent, She was very persistent. Yeah, why do you think that is the case. Why do you think someone like that becomes persistent? Why do you think that in our lives we come across somebody who maybe doesn't give up on us, but won't give up on us, and of course we don't see it as a cad. Why did think someone chose you to be someone who they wouldn't give up on and keep encouraging him to do something.
Speaker 2: I think it comes it comes from from within and also comes from from their story, because as I get to know my teacher outside of school, and she got her father involved, which he meantled me. She used to be a great swimmer and her dad never gave up on her, and he's so great potential on her. But she also thinks so great potential on me as a person and someone that she wanted to help. And she would ask me every single year and I'd say no. But then she realized, maybe maybe it's not because he's not passionate, maybe he doesn't know where to go. And she got her dad involved, said do you know athletics clubs and all this stuff? And as soon as those doors opened and all I have to do is rock up, I said yes. And I think once she figured that out, she's like, maybe maybe it's not about passion. Maybe it's not about laziness and all these things people kind of say, you've got so much talent, but you don't apply yourself. Maybe it's more about opportunity because other people.
Speaker 1: Because there's a lot of books written about this is a very famous one called Outlies, written by a go called Malcolm Gladwell, and he's talking about intellectually outlies, but sort of like just talent outlies. Generally speaking, the same would apply. Often outliers don't realize how strong their talent is relative to everybody else, and on many occasions a lot of the outliers never actually achieve anything. It's only rare that you get an outlier, you know, someone like Oppenheimen, etcetera, who wants to pursue with their outlier talent. They want to pursue something very important and end. In his case, he did something fairly important for very important relative to the rest of the world. You wonder why, I of wonder why someone like you who is an outlier doesn't necessarily want to do it. Not lazy, just can't see the points in it. But why am I doing that? I often wonder what it is the thing it is that actually made him change their mind on a particular time. So stuff, and yeah, I'm going to do this. I'm going to have a crack at this. I'm going to pursue my talent, not pursue a career, not pursue an outcome, but I'm gonna pursue my talent. What do you think it was that got you to make the call because she was consistent. She kept asking, but what was it that clicked in your mind and said, Peter, come on, let's give this a crack.
Speaker 2: I actually think it's the way you see the world and a different perspective you get to see the world. For me personally, was that I had I saw the world in different scales, obviously in such a small scale, and then when you get to athletics you get to see see so much.
Speaker 1: Of the world.
Speaker 2: And I was pretty talented pretty early, so like as soon as I committed to running that first year, I was like, I was like in Sydney. So I was like, wow, Like you get to travel for free, Like that's pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Right with the athletics squad he came over.
Speaker 2: Yeah, when I came over, like because I came to Turmba in Perth and that was it. I never saw any the rest of Australia. I was like, oh, man, sport can be your passport. So you get to see the world in a different sense. And then and then you're seeing like and then on top of that, you're seeing like you're learning about different athletes and what they're doing, how they apply themselves and and then that drive and then the second is I think my drive is like I want to be the best and and I will not stop until I get there. I was second, I want to be first, and then I get first. And then you find out like oh you just first at the school, like there's there's like people in Queensland, there's people in these up wells and there's a title to be one, and then it's like the fastest Australian Junior and it's like, well, I want to get there. And then once you set yourself that goal, you kind of try anything to get there and you just you just want to get to that top.
Speaker 1: Because I often think of her self, is it people say I'm competitive and therefore I want to win? Or is it is it something sort of greater than that? Is it like I want to travel Australia and if this is why I can, Like I know a lot of boxers do this, you know they're only way out and Philly players a lot of times the only way out of the shit life that I might be presented with. And I'm not saying your life with a ship life, but the excitement life, the excitement of life that you may not be getting presented with living at home with your family. The things that look exciting, especially to a young person. The only way I'm going to get to taste that stuff is to compete and win, because a lot of people I'm competitive and therefore I want to win. Yeah, but I see lots of other reasons why people even at a young as a young person, we can recognize that I'm not going to get to do what everyone else is doing unless I take this risk and try harder and train harder, and a lot of times that's our greatest sportsman in this country. Very rarely have come from the really expensive schools where families are really wealthy. Particularly if I look at the boxing, boxing grades, et cetera. In our football grades. I don't know a lot about athletics, but our athletic grades, but swimming rates as well. So we slightly different because your parents have to have money to be able to push through the program. But nonetheless it's about improving your life. How much of this you know, Like I'm seeing myself on the improvement curve. I've come from Sudan. I went out of there. I got out of there. That was a lot of drama there having in Egypt and that was pretty good but better, better than Sudan, but not as good as we went to the moment torn but too was pretty good. Now I'm in Perth perse pretty good, but maying there's a lot more good stuff out there. Yeah, I want to keep pushing on the improvement curve. How much that is about is put of balls?
Speaker 2: I actually I think it's about eighty percent. Yeah, because I'm I always struggled with you know, when you're doing something for so long years and you get to meet people that are that do it out of pure passion, I always I was always kind of jealous of that. I've seen people that are so passionate about about athletics, about running, and I wasn't really a student of running. I don't even know who I was running against in my first Olympic Games. So I was just there because I wanted to be in that improvement improvement curve. I wanted to represent now like you see, like I became a strange citizen in two thousand and two thousand and six around September, I was like, man, like I became a strange citizen now, like I'm running for the country. I'm now representing so many people. And then and then you see like the world kind of get behind you, Like Australia gets behind you, and then you see the whole the migrants get behind You're not even just the South Sudanese, they kind of just get behind you. And now like you stand for something for these people, and it's like that, that's like eighty percent and you still have to enjoy.
Speaker 1: And I still do enjoy it.
Speaker 2: I don't hate it, but there's no way I'm as passionate as anyone else around there because I could tell you now like I'd barely watch I don't watch much athletics. The first Olympics, I didn't know who I was running against. It wasn't until like two years ago that I started looking at my appoints because and mainly because someone told me that's how you improve. You gotta you gotta study your points, You've gotta be a student of the sport. You gotta know splits, you gotta know time. And that's when I started looking into it. I've been to three Olympics and after my events, barely going to any athletics to watch. I've definitely gone to basketball every time I had a chance to go watch that.
Speaker 1: Because that's your love. Yeah, that's your passion. That's your passion, and that's what you love. It doesn't, but it doesn't mean you don't apply the same out of effort to the thing. Your job. Your job is the eight hundred. By the way, did you do it? Do any other events apart from the eight hundred? Have you done it? Not in the limits but outside Olympics? Was another event that was your favorite?
Speaker 2: No, it's just kind of eight hundred.
Speaker 1: It was because that's a tough run, by the way, But eight hundred? Why that is it? Because that you felt felt that's what you're best at? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I just felt I was too lazy to do the training for anything longer. I thought I would be, honestly, I think probably naturally better, maybe a more fifteen hundred, a little bit longer, because I came from winning cross country pretty easily, naturally, But I just didn't want to do that training and running so much.
Speaker 1: The difference between eight hundred training and fifteen hundred training, it's more COMMONI so you's got to get more on your legs.
Speaker 2: You's got to get more on your legs, and I wasn't interested in doing that. I was more interested in just staying explosive, powerful, because I was still playing basket on the side. I wanted to keep playing basketball. If you're running fifteen and longer, you're running like eighty k's or more a week. Not really, Yeah, I didn't want to. I wasn't interested in running anything more than forty fifty k's a week. That's a lot, too, But that's a lot, but for a runner, it's not that much for a distance runner.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, that's interesting. And can I ask you, like, I know you're Muslim by faith, and you still live a faithful life today. We try my best, Yeah, you do. I guess that. I mean everyone try best and then, which basically means we're not perfect at it, but we're we have the structure to try to live it that way. How much of the Muslim religion dictates or determines that we must take advantage of what God has given us in terms of talent? In other words, And I don't know a lot about the Muslim religion, but and therefore I'm asking you, is it considered disrespectful to God not to take advantage of the skill you've got.
Speaker 2: I don't I don't know if it's if it's so much disrespectful, I think you're you're on this earth on a learning curve, right, You you make mistakes and you just can't learn from them. But but if you have a gift, it is considered. You use it and you don't just use it for yourself. You use it to better your life and better the people around you. Right, you got to give, you got to forgive and and all that stuff. So I think it's it's in your duty to use your.
Speaker 1: Gift, and that's the way point.
Speaker 2: Is a duty, Yeah, to use your gifts and talents.
Speaker 1: Yes, cly So, does that drive you or did that drive you during that period?
Speaker 2: It definitely definitely drove me a lot because I had this that I knew I could not just change my life, but change everyone around me. So I think that definitely made me wanted to do it a little bit more, and it made it a little bit different to having having faith on your side and having family and having like strong values. Actually made the sport more enjoyable because how so, because because it's like you had less pressure. You're like, this is a gift and I'm going to do the best I can. But the most important thing is is your faith and your family and your values.
Speaker 1: Outside of that. So you had a full back position.
Speaker 2: You always had a full back position, right, So like those are as strong, those what you need to strengthen, and the sport will strengthen self. But you've got to keep you in the training, right. But you can't. You almost can't do sports without strengthening that. It's especially especially if you're.
Speaker 1: Tired in the middle.
Speaker 2: You've got to like be a non believer and to try to strengthen that. But if you're a believer, you're always kind of conflicted in the middle, so you've got to you've got to work on them both.
Speaker 1: So because you know, see some young Muslim not so much young anymore, but something like Sunny but Williams who is quite open about his faith, and also a lot of the Islander boys who are quite open about their Christian faith in terms of where it fits into in terms of league, because that's more the area I'm interested in my own personal life. But the way they openly display it and they openly lean into it in order to help them do what do what they're about to do, and in fact, actually to some extent, and I saw it during the paras Olympics obviously just finished, but especially in the athletic field, I saw a few people sort of look up to Allah and do the sign that they do prior to their event. Like, I don't know how strictly religious you are, but what is it that people are asking for when they do it or what are they giving when they look up and or think before a race? In relation? In relations just sort of the Islamic faith, like you know, the Muslim faith. What is it they're saying or thinking about? Yeah? Are they offering it to God? Yeah? I think different.
Speaker 2: Different people have obviously different but but for me personally, I do pray and I just pray to be able to do the best stuff prepared for. So and someone said, do you do you pray that you you do better than your opponents? I said, I said, no, Like you, you just pray for safe journey and you pray that you can do the best, the best that you're prepared for. And that's and that's it, and you and you leave the rest up to you lift the rest up to a lie, right, you just do the best you can.
Speaker 1: Because that's interesting, you should say that the best you prepared for, which then takes you down to the pre ration period. Yeah, if you don't do well, you can just sort of say, well, maybe I didn't prepare well enough, and then you can look at all the reasons why I didn't prepare well enough and for the next period's the next race period is coming up with six months is accountable as well, totally because it's up to you.
Speaker 2: It's up to you God obviously, God obviously knows knows what you want. But I don't think you're just given it. You still have to work for it, so do you do?
Speaker 1: You have to practice in your faith gratitude for what you've been given.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Gratitude is a big one and it keeps you kind at peace. And that's honestly what I pray for if if I want to race, because like, you become a dangerous appointment when you're just at peace, you're calm and chilled and and that's all you ask for and then the rest is up to you to execute a race. Right.
Speaker 1: That's interesting. You become a dangerous opponent in that you're not putting too much pressure on you know, your biochemics, chemistry, that that's your you know, your quartersole and your adrenaline all that sort of stuff, you know, because I do want to talk to you about nervousness before a race, that adrenale for fatigue. Maybe you could take me through that. I mean, we'll take an audience through that I've experienced, but like, what does it mean? So I want to know how you control your state of mind and have you had some really crazy moments where your heart's pumping so hard? You know? And by the way, this happens to everybody, especially in the early stages of their career, sporting career, that you suffer fatigue because eight hundred legas one hundred is explosy, but eight hundred you've got to have endurance and you can't be fatigued. You've got to slept properly, you can't hopefully no injuries, but you've got to be able to keep your pace going, and you've got to be able to have that burst of energy at a later part of the race, so you can't be burned out early early on. As this whole thought process and strategy going into the race, and the if all of a sudden the strategy gets stuffed up for some reason, you know, you've got to get your head around it. Somehow, maybe you just take me through the way you understand your own biochemistry in terms of being one hundred percent ready set for your best performance in an eight hundred. So what are you trying to achieve the night before? Perhaps nutrition, perhaps a week before, you know, what's your little process and other any superstitions sitting there.
Speaker 2: Yeah, so that is a really interesting question, And I think it's a huge question because I think all that stuff matters, like the preparation beforehand, the night before, the fuel you eat, all those kind of matter, And I think the matter because they'll keep you in a peaceful mindset. You don't want to rock up to the start line and saying I wish I would have prepared better, Like that's already doubt. And when you have doubt, it's tough to compete without. You don't want to rock up thinking I've got a niggle and I'm a little bit injured. That's another thing in your mind. You want to remove as much thing out of your head to kind of stay present. Like the best races I've had is being present. Like you spoke before about, obviously your strategy can go out the way. The eight hundred is one of the most brutal races to have a strategy for, because in that first two hundred you're all in different lanes and then your crossover, so your strategy might be I want to be first across that line, and then you end up being at the back. What do I do now? And you have to prepare for those in training.
Speaker 1: You have to.
Speaker 2: And the best race I've had is just being present and your body and your muscle memory just knows when to make those moves. Because if you think, if you're trying to think about should I make that move, someone's already made it and you're too late. Like there's no time for error, there's no time for thinking. It's like just muscle memory making those moves. And a few races that I've raced really well and I was like going through first lap, going through second lap and there's a gap open.
Speaker 1: I didn't think about it. I just moved.
Speaker 2: And a race that I was thinking about should I take that gap? By the time I decided, someone's already taken it and you're kind of set up the back. So you've got to be apps litely present, and to be present, you've got to be calm, and there's things you kind of do and apply, like before you've a race. I'll do my breathing, I do my prayers whatever, just to try to get myself in that calm state. And you rock up to the stadium with like im off games. I rock up the stadium. I think it was like like solve that crowd, and and you don't really heat a crowd. You're just you're just present.
Speaker 1: Because you're so far within your own mind.
Speaker 2: And when when I have no destruction and think about anything else, I know it's going to be a good race. First as if I'm thinking about like injury, thinking about the next opponent, think about that.
Speaker 1: You know it's going to be a difficult race. So are there's some things you rule out? Then during let's say you're getting ready for the Corm Games and or any other equivalent, do you sort of say, okay for the next six six months before I don't know what the period is for prep. I mean, obviously it's it's a long prepay it's years. But the last six months before you you you compete or race, do you sort of say rule out girlfriend. I don't know your girlfriend, boyfriend, whatever it happens to be. But let's say it's a girlfriend, real our relationships one because you know, like and I'm looking for like strict rules. I rule out late night, so really out hanging out with my mates. So rerul out blah blah. These things you cannot do because they're distractions and or things that could change your peace of mind. Give you that little thing that pisces you off, that sort of will you know, because in your case, we're talking about points of a second. You know, tenth of a second is a you know that far at the speed you guys are running. So do you like have a mindset of structure that you stick to, like a game plan?
Speaker 2: Yeah, And part of that is actually ruling out training hard really yeah, because you don't want to rock up to a start line fatigued and too tired.
Speaker 1: So you want to be pe king.
Speaker 2: And that's the hardest one because you always want to push at.
Speaker 1: Training because I need more, I need more.
Speaker 2: But the reality is you're not gonna you're not gonna get any fitter in a week.
Speaker 1: But but what you.
Speaker 2: Can get in a week is get injured, right, You're not going to get any better. So so ruling out hard training is probably one of the most important thing because because an athlete at our level, Like if you're like, of course you're only human, and you still face distractions and you face all this stuff, but you've you've kind of worked out a system where where you work that stuff out. It's it's like you don't get there by fluke. Like you've ruled out distractions, You've ruled out like late nights before a race and all that stuff. Like if you still have to rule that out, you've got a long way to go at that at that high level.
Speaker 1: You've got to you've got to be able.
Speaker 2: It's to do with training, I think most importantly training, sleep, recovery so important, so important. You've got to get the physio. Some of these things are like just time, right, they're boring, like why why do I want to go to physiog get a massage? Why do I need to stretch? Like why do I have to sleep early? And all those things? But you've got to do these things and and.
Speaker 1: So what period would you be doing that for us? Because it because it can get a bit I'd imagine it can't get a bit boring.
Speaker 2: So yeah, and and for me, for me, it's got to be like I know I've got a race in about about six or two months or something like that, I'll have a training camp and that's where everything is ruled out. And training camp you go away. So we usually go up. Sometimes I'll go up to Perisher in I think New South Wales and and there naturally rules out all distractions, like there's nothing to do in Parish and I then kind of run and be a piece of yourself. So you rule out through training camps is a great way to do it. Like you set your stuff up for a training camp for three weeks and you're there just purely training, getting the right food, and that's all you're doing is running. I think it's harder to rule out when you're when you're back home because now you've got friends, family, you've got everything. So instead of avoiding distructions, you just move away from it.
Speaker 1: So when you're saying you're you move away from distractions, would you do you take you know, like iPads and start do you get sort of stuck in things like YouTube or whatever? I mean, yeah, what what do you do to you Or you're meditating, I don't.
Speaker 2: Know what's gonna it's whatever you're passionate about. Because majority of ice training is recovery right, You've got to recover enough, which means you have time. You have so much time, and you know you don't want to get on the other side of underperforming, which which is boredom bottom can also lead to underforming. So you don't want to be too bored. So Number one, you've got to have the right the right group of training group that surround you, that that you kind of enjoy being around, because you don't want to be in your head the whole time.
Speaker 1: That's not helpful.
Speaker 2: So yeah, you take your iPad, you take your books, you have some friends. Some of the best training camps I've had is going going over season, just going a few friends and and just running with them or Perth. I'd get some of my brothers and some of the people I grew up with to.
Speaker 1: Come and do training with me.
Speaker 2: They're not professional athletes, they're not even runners, but they will come. The beauty of it was just being amongst people. Because if you're doing a law by yourself, it gets really hard. So you're not really trying to rule out everything because you get too bored. You've got to be able to like leading up to a championship, You've got to be able to make sure everything's the same. You don't want to change too many things. You don't want to completely rule out everyone. You know, you just end up stressing yourself. So I try to stay pretty pretty calm and pretty normal, but obviously like less of everything, less of training, less of socializing, less of going out, more of recovery, more of sleep, more of eating good and all that stuff.
Speaker 1: It sounds pretty intense though, in intense and is sort of reverse way, and in that the it's everything on the edges doesn't exist. You're just sort of keeping everything within a nice range pretty much, which that's sort of intensient self, because you know, human beings by nature wanted to go to the edge. You pushed me on, and let's do this little bit extra training or let's do something bit crazy whatever, specially when you're young man. You know, like it's pretty natural, but keeping it all in a in a like a contained space in itself is quite intense. I would have thought, Yeah, I mean, like, and do you ever get to the point where you say, why am I doing this? Yeah? Yea, heaps the time? And what do you do then?
Speaker 2: Like, through different years you kind of go through it like I got to the edge through training, and I got injured before before the two eighteen Coming Off Games, which is the one I was looking forward to the most being in Australia. So I pushed myself to the edge through training too hard. Then so after that I've learned like you've got to you've got to train smart, you've got to be wise, and you've got to not push too hard sometimes.
Speaker 1: Right, what does it mean you end up getting an overuse injury? Overuse injury, So how to stress fracture? Yeah? Yeah, so overuse just repetition, repetition, repetition. Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I pushed myself through that edge. And then other times I went to training camps with with just purely runners. Remember I'm not really that interested in in the running itself. I'm I'm kind of interested in the training, yeah, and developing myself. Right, So going purely with like passionate runners and then you just you just mentally train yourself and no matter how hard I'm training, my performance going down like that's that's not where I'm blong. That's too intense for me. So it's all about you finding finding finding your place, right. My place is not to go out to go on to a training camp with a bunch of runners and all we're talking about is running and catching up after after running. It was like, No, my place is Loto Camp with good people that I can talk outside with and that has nothing to do with running. It's like, that's my place. We can still train, but we leave it all as soon as we leave that track.
Speaker 1: Well, because when I I just want to change slightly changed place. Part of the punt pun intended doube when they I just like your maybe your opinion on this or your commentary on this, but and it's sort of a diametrically opposed to the person you just presented to me, being yourself that is. And obviously they are others similar to you. But if you look at the Jamaicans and the USA, particularly the one hundred million of the glamour events, like one hundred million to hundred events, and you see if I could just reflect on the women's events. First, they've got the massive eyelashes, they've got things going on with their hair and ear rings, and the fingernails are huge, massively long, and they're playing to the camera big time, barely big time. It's nearly like entertainment. And then the guys are the same but in a different format. But there's the same sort of deal, you know, And they look to me. That looks to me if that was me in their shoes, that would be a massive distraction for me, Like that be hard for me to concentrate on what it is I'm about to do, particularly you know, because it's not just on the night of the event, particularly in the last Olympics. They're doing this all the time. In fact, they've made Netflix to move a series of them. Yeah, And I thought to myself, it's nearly like they're marketing themselves as individuals because they've got to make money in the future. It's one where they make money. They get sponsorships on sort of stuff. I get it, But I thought to myself, it would be very difficult if you're in your athletic world to be that person, especially like one minute before the race, you're pitching up in front of the crowd, and you're during the crowd up, etc. But you're presenting a different type of person to me, What do you think about that type of I don't want to call it behavior, but that type of those types of characteristics relative to say, the way you present.
Speaker 2: I mean I've got a good story. I think it was my first Olympics I was in. I was in Rio, and like, as I said, I didn't really know much. And I went to a warm up track and you just you get to see every single person. And the beauty of athletics is you're seeing every different culture in it. And I was there trying to warm up and it was actually quite distracting because I was trying to see every single person. I saw the Kenyans and the East Africans. They were just like really shy. They're like like, look really nervous. I was like, man, like these guys are gonna underperform.
Speaker 1: They just look too shy.
Speaker 2: And then I looked on the other side and the Americans and Jamaicans and Bolt Funny was there. They had music blasting and they were just having the best time. I was like, these guys are gonna clean up the metal tally. But because they were relaxed, they just looked so relaxed and so confident. They're like, we're gonna win. They had that show and they were in charge of everything. But it was really interesting that at the end of the Olympics, like the same East Africans that were shy, they collected, they cleaned up the medals, and you just realize it was just a personality thing, and Bolt and stuff still collected metals. It wasn't it wasn't about their behaviors. It wasn't about that. It was it was truly about them being who they are, and that's who they are. Like they can be comfortable in their own shoes and do that stuff and it elevates them. But if you switch that around and you try to get a Kenyon to do what the Americans and the Jamaicans were doing, I think we'll create too much stress and it won't be good for their performance.
Speaker 1: So in short, it's it's definitely what.
Speaker 2: Your personality is and if and if you're putting it up, it's pretty hard. I think, like Noah Laws, that's who he is. Is confident, he loves the crowd. He gets something out of it. You're saying boths the same, he gets something out of it. But I don't think I could go do that. It's just it's just not my personality. And then and then also create too much stress. And then again creating stress, you're not really at peace, you're not present during the race, and it's just gonna underperform.
Speaker 1: Because you did say about being in your occasionally it's being at peace and being present in the moment of doing it and without distraction. Then I look at No like he's he's it doesn't look like he's a peace to me, Like then it looks like he's completely distracted. Yeah, it goes and does you know, you know, really braceive world record in that.
Speaker 2: And he wins when everyone's betting against them. Yeah, at the highest level.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally, but but that comforts him. Did you get to meet these dudes? Yeah, yeah, you get to meet them. What are they like outside of the camera.
Speaker 2: Away from the camera, they're pretty They're pretty normal, but like their personality is not much different. That's that's who they are. They're lowed, they're confident. I think it's the whole culture thing. And I wouldn't say, for example, I wouldn't say it's Australian culture. You don't see that. You don't see that. You don't see like like we obviously clean up in the swimming pool, but you don't see people doing all of that. But America, like I've watched American sports for a very long time. That's that's their culture. I know, I've got a few Jamaican friends. That's their culture. They just love the hype. They're created, they're believe in it. While I think in our sense, in our culture, like even versus with Australian culture, like yes, we create the hype, you believe in it, but you kind of still stay focused and you just just created and it has nothing to do with you. It's just your job to get in the pool and and swim. It's funny like, wasn't create the hype and you don't believe in it versus you create the hype and you're believe in it.
Speaker 1: And well, if you create hope, you got to believe in it. Yeah, you must, you must otherwise you'll cook it one hundred percent. It's funny you should say because sitting in that chair, yesa was Cody Simpson leader and Cody came in with Andy. There was two women came in with one of whom was his PR person and the other person he he just said to I'll see in a minute of them and mc canned like and like I'm standing like what the hell is a mc cann and but like it was and she was just like because he was she was accompanying him because there are a couple and he was the staff for the day, you know what I mean, like and she just took the backwards step. And whereas my gut feeling is that was an American you were that was can I sit down here with him sort of thing or whatever, and that you're right, it's probably Australian. Yeah, like it's or it's not Australian to be that way, to be that way, and in Jamaican culture. I'm not man Jamaica, but like just I expect I suspect from what I look at, not necessarily athlete, it's just generally they're pretty, are going having a lot of fun, hanging out, music, dancing, chill and you may be right, and that's like people like Bolt. That's just you don't have to be Who's I in Bolt to have that personality. Probably everyone in Jerbicas like that. That's the deal. I think.
Speaker 2: The hard thing is if if you are Australian and that's your personality and you try to show it and people are like, well, well that's that's not who we are. They do, but that's that's what you need to perform the best. And I think that's the hard part because then you know you have the public knda against you. But that's who you are and that's what you need to perform, So it should be fine. Like sport, sport is entertainment and that's what you're there for, entertainment. Everyone has a different purpose and different reason to be there, right, Not everyone's the same.
Speaker 1: But if you're.
Speaker 2: Competing by the rules, you're competing by the rules and your personality should show.
Speaker 1: Do you think Australians looking to you for entertainment or they're looking for you? Do Australians look more not just you, but all our competitors and representatives. Do you think Australians more looking for you to do your best outcome to try hardest. What do you think Australian's expectations are of our athletes?
Speaker 2: I think the Astralian expectation is go out there and give it a go. Yeah, like like give it all you can. Yeah, that's that's the expectation. With the US, it's like the expectations are like go out there and win, yeah, because they believe they're best at everything. Right, It's like go out there and win. It's like Australia like go out there do your best, and both create different comforts. Right when you're going out there doing your best, it's like, well you got you don't have that pressure of trying to impress and everyone proud and all that stuff. You're just going out there and being you and that's what we want from you. Right while America, I think it creates a very competitive world and like they're dominating a lot of sports because like like if you're going to Olympics, we want to see metal and it's intense. It's intense, but they still get results. Both get results. So it's like, it's just where you're at.
Speaker 1: Did you I just thinking while I was talking to then, the only other person I really met in person and I had a good friendship have a friendship with him was Johnny Stephenson, which was who's a four hundred runner? Four hundred Ye yeah, And Johnny was used to always talk to me about and he actually we got him and I put him put him into the Celebritypprentice one of the series because Jeff Fannick asked me what I do because because did you know that John Stefferson originally was an amateur fighter? No, No, I box up before before he even put a pair of running shoes on his first pair of running shoes, like he's twenty one or something. He had like thirty amateur fights as an amated boxer, and then then he went into the four hundred. It became a feigned runner, went to limits, and he went to the Common Games. I think he won a Comic Games medal in the four.
Speaker 2: A great example of a person was personality. Some of the Jamaicans he totally he's outgoing, very quick, which one of when we're talking, he's got John Stepf's got that. Yeah, and he's good mates. But Bolt, for example, they're great, great, there's sort of similar characteristics and and and another great success story for Australia in terms of you know, I guess for hundred middle distance but middle distance runner, but came out of nowhere, literally came out and over. I think he's he's South African from not not South African, but like southern part of Africa where his family is.
Speaker 1: You're more north of northern part of Africa. It is more north. Sudan's more north north of Africa. That is that correct.
Speaker 2: Sudan is in the east East Africa, but.
Speaker 1: It's more to the less less or towards the bottom. You know, by the way, when you say did you know there, you probably don't know because you're much too young for it. But forty years ago there was an unbelievably great movie called Khartoum. The movie was called Cartoon. It's a really old black and white movie, old enough to remember, and it was like one of the greatest movies of all time, Like you know, like some really famous actors are in it. I can't Peter O'Toole and those sorts of people like people again you would never heard of. But and Kartoon to me when I saw it when I was a kid. But Cartoon my memory of Cartoon, and the only memory I have of because I've never been there is a very exotic place like and I just I don't know why. I just exotic from the way the film came across. And then when I hear when someone like you tells me a story about how it's been bitten by war for such a long time, it's sort of a little bit of anathemat for me. It's it's nearly like, how can that be? Because Cartoon was such a in my mind, such a romantic sounding place, and the vision of what I saw on the TV in the movie we are talking, Well, I'm sixty eight, so actually it's more than foot years ago. It's sixty years ago. I saw them. It was just a kid, and like sixty years ago there was a movie called Kartoon and it was presented like and it wasn't a movie of the time, it was a movie representing what was happening in the nineteen twenties. So it must have been a pretty cool place at some stage Kartoon Do you know if anything of that? Does you know where a period when cartoon was cartom was considered a safe and a vibrant and exotic place.
Speaker 2: Me personally, I wouldn't say I have because I left when I was six and I never went back. Versus my family went back when when I was competing and stuff like that, I was too busy to go. And they quite enjoyed it. It was really nice. They had all the family around and people there's like, you know, they just as they have each other, and they have family around in music and their that's their culture like music and dancing and and combining everyone around that that to them is all it's all lead and and yeah, when I was at school. I think that time was there, but it wasn't there for long enough unfortunately, and it's nothing consistent.
Speaker 1: It's it's sort of a terrible shame when you think when when when I hear people like you told me that about place like Sudan and or cut too, the being is it the capital, the capital capital of Sudan.
Speaker 2: Capital of Sudan and Jubbo's the capital of South.
Speaker 1: So when it comes to mindset and not having distractions, I mean, we have to cover this off. But like when they they allegedly took the positive test for you from you, but just take me through how it works. So you have to do yourine test. Just what's the deal, what's the process? Yeah, we have to we have to do urine tests and after every event or just the random it's random. And they can also come to your house and do do random random testing and you select an hour.
Speaker 2: And my it's generally in the morning because so then it's a urine test and it's urineal blood. They can do both.
Speaker 1: They can ask for blood too.
Speaker 2: They can ask a blood the majority of times is urine own blood.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you'rein in blood. So and you give an a sample B sampler say something that you give sample, it's just the same sample. It's just right. They just put in a different ut B and an A. Yeah yeah yeah, so when I mean, you know, I followed followed it, and it was a bit of a shock to everybody, you know, like what is if you had taken something and that, what is what would be then the net effect of it, like physically in a in a biochemical way or a biological way. What would something like that do for you? Or an eight hundred meters right now?
Speaker 2: I guess I suppose you get fitter, quicker.
Speaker 1: But what to do to your blood or whatever something muscle? What to do? It's just what's it supposed to do? Like it is it supposed to make a big have a bigger your lungs B Now, I thing it increases your red blood cells, which makes you more red blood, which carries more oxygen, which is endurance in endurance, more for endurance. Yeah yeah. So and when you how'd you feel? Like, how'd you know about it? Like what happens?
Speaker 2: They come to tell you, Like they come to your house and tell.
Speaker 1: You, so we got this result. Yeah, they physically come to your house. They have physically come to your house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and then what happens, and then you can kind of ask for your B sample yea, and which I did, and then you kind of on the waiting process until that B sample comes and which you know, you learn a lot when you go through something like that, you learn a lot. And then and you learned that like at that time, you think you're like doing because the B sample, I mean it's the same sample. It never comes different. Yeah, Like why would it come different if it's once positive? The other one should be positive.
Speaker 1: So it's taken on the same day, same day. Yeah, so you still he's still selected.
Speaker 2: At the time, I didn't even know if there was a point because they always come the same, but somehow they came different. I was like, well, that's an error on your site.
Speaker 1: Then yeah, yeah, So why don't they test the B sample straight away? What's the point of Yeah, that's a really good question. Then while they go, oh, should hang on this one has given us an normally we're not going to answer, and we just test the B sample first, Yeah, and then the ones they're different. They should do that.
Speaker 2: But at that stage I don't think anyone's really trying to do you any fevors.
Speaker 1: Right, why why? I mean it seems like that.
Speaker 2: But also to catch out I also think because if if the A sample is it's positive, they just think the B sample is going to be positive too because it's the same sample. Yeah, but I also think they should test it straight away. Should test it straight away? Such a big, big accusation, totally, you should. You should do all the work.
Speaker 1: The gravity of the accusation is so great, Yeah, that they should before they made the accusation and then they commenced the whole process of the gravity that they should test the BE sample straight away. And hang on, let's just go, let's just talk to Peter B. Because there's normally between the two.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think if you had the time to come to my house, you've obviously had the time to test to BE sample before coming. Yeah, coming as well, like if you're going to come accuse me of something like that, and which which is hard, right, I think if you're not at the right mindset, it could destroy you. So if you're coming to do that, you better be sure. Like you there's some things you just can't be incompetent, and that's one of them, because you're putting someone else's life.
Speaker 1: And who was which organization do it is? Who's doing the test I actually don't know who does the testing.
Speaker 2: I think the testings are done by I think Sports Integrity maybe and in the lab and then they're taken out to Germany and whatnot, and that's where the results.
Speaker 1: It was just before anything that was important for you. It was this previ Yeah, it.
Speaker 2: Was actually pretty important Australia the year that was pretty important. That is pretty important. I was actually looking forward to go to it.
Speaker 1: And how close was it to the event.
Speaker 2: I think it was just two days before before it was leaked and publicly was so.
Speaker 1: But what is the obligation of the testing authority to publish it? It shouldn't have been published. Well then how did you get out?
Speaker 2: No one, no one claims to ever know it was leaked somewhere. Do you get a call by a media Uh no, I actually didn't. I got called by my my agent and he said that it's been leaked?
Speaker 1: Is it? In other words, the newspaper as going to print it, or a radio stage or television stage you're going to talk about it? And he printed out so quick? And what was your response?
Speaker 2: How did you feel at that stage, I actually didn't know how to feel right because I just didn't know how to feel.
Speaker 1: I was.
Speaker 2: I was kind of at home and and like, I think the first thing I actually thought about it was my family. I was like, man, that's that's tough. That's stuff, that's stuff for them. Yeah, And because with such education, you know, it's just not you and your own now, it's like everyone else's put into question, like your family, your character, your coach, your staff, team. So I just thought about all those people. I think I was the last person I thought about, which I think was tough. I should have thought about myself as well.
Speaker 1: You've got to be a bit selfish. Yeah, I think it becomes reputation. Did you reach out to anybody? Uh?
Speaker 2: Yeah, I reached out well because I knew. I knew I needed results before I was. I was waiting for the be sample, so I knew. So I actually reached out to I reached out to my older brother, which because I didn't know how to communicate that to my parents, right, So I said, if it ever gets leaked, like I needed you to explain it to them and that there should be they'll be okay. And then obviously my coach. I reached out to my coach, let him know straight away. Um, and and that's it. And my manager like, no one else really.
Speaker 1: So what do you do? Then? Just stay home?
Speaker 2: I mean I don't know, you literally just just stay home and you're just waiting.
Speaker 1: Keep your head down, keep your head down.
Speaker 2: But at that stage I was like, I was like, surely they made a mistake.
Speaker 1: This is crazy.
Speaker 2: And I was still going to go to Australia the Year Awards. And then after that, after that leak, it was like, now like what do you do?
Speaker 1: So what does Australian your awards organizations do that so you can't come? No?
Speaker 2: Actually, you know what, They're actually really good, actually really good about it. They said, look, i'm I'm I've got a call. And I thought it was pretty it was pretty good of them. And they said, look, I like, we know what's going on, and we'd love to still have you if you want to come, but just to let you know, we've we've had the most media request to be here.
Speaker 1: Be everywhere.
Speaker 2: They'd be everywhere, and you'll end up and that's your decision to make. You're just still a night, yeah, and you still the night. And I said and that's exactly that was My decision was based on that. I said, I I did not want to steal that night for anyone I'm not coming.
Speaker 1: I mean for a young man relative, a young man at that stage as well. You know, you leave a war torn or a civil war torn Sedan, you go to live in Egypt, you end up into warmbar, then you go to Perth and you go through this whole process and you know you're representing your country, get nominated to be Australian the.
Speaker 2: Year, which is pretty cool because you aren't even Australian like twenty years.
Speaker 1: Totally. It's like it's there is magnificent sort of momentum. Yeah, for you and your family and everybody else, your whole community. It's really good energy, right totally, and then you just get whack. Yeah, like you've gone from the pandaluse to the proverbial in minutes minutes. Yeah, how do you pick yourself up?
Speaker 2: Like I think people with people played a big part. And as like we spoke before that, the identity out of sport is really important and I've always worked on that. Like again, your faith plays a big part, and you just like you just you just want peace you're like you just you just leave the rest to guard. Right, you can do all you can do, and at that point, there's nothing you could actually do. Yeah, there's nothing you could do, Like what was there to do other than control your own your own mindset and your your own happiness. And that's not what's saying that you don't go through it. You go through this rollercoaster of emotions, like you feel like the whole world's against you. You feel betrayed, and like that feeling betrayal is is tough because because like I've I've done nothing, I've done nothing wrong, like this is this is one, it is not fair. Two, I'm I'm just trying to run, like that's all I've ever tried to do. And and then the worst part is is like, well, who's bringing these allegations against you? Like then you start to look for the blame and then and then you look for the blame and that's and that's when you lose probably the most sleep, because you can never truly know who it is who leaked it, what was the intentions behind it?
Speaker 1: You just never know and why would they be bothered doing it? Why? Why? Why upset? Like why me? Right?
Speaker 2: I think that's where you lose the most piece. I think that's still where I lose the most speech trying to think about it, because you just don't have answers. You want answers if if you're done wrong, at least give me answers. Right, Yeah, but there's no But there's no answers.
Speaker 1: Do you have suspicions?
Speaker 2: Uh? Yeah, I have my suspicions. I think I definitely have my suspicions. And but the best thing about it, I think the public was actually really good. That was pretty cool.
Speaker 1: Like how did you gauge that?
Speaker 2: I think one from from the love and support you get through messages on social media and stuff. Yeah, like social media, like you expect you expect, you expect your family to be with you, which is which is which is great. But then you also you don't expect you like when you go through something like that, you think, oh man, now they might turn against you, but no one really did. Like of course you have those keyboard warries and whatnot, but they were always there even when I was doing great. It's like, oh, you're not Australian, You're not that. So that was always there, Like you kin'd of get used to that, but I think it would have heard quite a lot if I'm majority of the public can't turn against you, but they didn't.
Speaker 1: And what was the process? Do you have a right of appeal or something? How do you get the B sample? Do you have to get a caught to get him to look at it all? Hasn't? No?
Speaker 2: You just you just select that you wanted you want to, I guess retested and you have to pay for all that stuff and they're kind of retested for you. And and again I think it was leaked. I had a friend that called me and said your B sample was it wasn't the same as your A before I was notified by the authoritist himself, so it was leaked somewhere else before before I was told first.
Speaker 1: Whats of level of relief did you feel when the sample it was?
Speaker 2: My manager called me and he had the most relief and he was like and he was kind of like it was kind of quiet because I didn't have the same sensits of relief because I was like, man, this ship should have never happened, Like like what do you want me to celebrate? Like this is this is crazy? Like I had to even go through that. I think the red leief I kind of had again thinking of other people as like, oh, well, like my family was really happy, everything was really happy. But but for me, I was like, man, this is this is still crazy right like this it doesn't change much, doesn't change the accusation doesn't change a lot. So there wasn't much of a leief. There was still disappointment and anger for that whole period, and I did not feel in a relief.
Speaker 1: Yeah, because the outcome didn't change what happened. The result did not change what happened to when it happened. And by the way, you can't change that. You can't. So how do you deal with that? I mean, how do you reconcile and you know, get back to where you were talking about very much earlier about being at peace.
Speaker 2: You can definitely go back at peace, but you can't go.
Speaker 1: Back to where you were before. Do you need to?
Speaker 2: I don't think you need to. It just becomes part of your story. Yeah, And the easiest way is accepted that it happened and try to move on. But with that said, it's pretty hard to accept something like that. And I thought I could do it pretty quickly because like as an athlete, you build resilience, and you build that, but like I build resilience based on like things that you you knew would happen, like injury, not making teams, things you expect, things you expect like something like that. Is it's pretty hard. It's pretty hard to get get through. And you realize like it's going to take time, and time is only only think that's going to heal it, but time and extra work. You've got to see people, you've got to talk through it and all that stuff, which I didn't want to do. I had no interest in doing it at all.
Speaker 1: You just sort of take a view. Fuck them all the time, yeah all the time. It probably doesn't solve any of that, does it. No, it actually just hurts you more. Yeah. Yeah, you've got to sort of talk it through. And at the end of the day, Richard Brandswan told me this, you said, Mark, you said, we'll worry about our own brand the people. If one hundred percent of the people know who you are for whatever reason, good or bad, and only fifty percent of the people like you, then you've done well. That doesn't matter about the other fifty percent. That's pretty cool. So eventually this, you know, one hundred percent of the strains know who Peter Bowl is. If only fifty percent like you and fifty percent don't like you, and usually the ones that don't like you will tell you. The other fifty percent that don't tell you is because they do like you, and they they mostly people don't come out and say I like you. If they don't like it, they'll definitely tell you. That's sort of actually one measure of success from his point of view in terms of braining personal braining. Really cool. Yeah, And I'd say that's probably I mean, the research my team has done on you, that's sort of where you are. I mean, I don't know, it's fifty future, but there's a lot of people some people come and say stuff about you whatever, but there's a lot of people who actually back you, and they back you in and you know, that's that's a pretty good outcome. You know, you're only still young. You're thirty years old now and you're thirty yeah, yeah, so like you've lived three lives already. Yeah for thirty year old, and you've got a long way to go too. And one of the things I want I talk to about speaking about that is what most people don't realize is that you have at least one university degree. And I don't know how the hell you managed to do that and what period of your life did you do This is a degree in project management or construction management.
Speaker 2: Construction, Yeah, but how did you do that?
Speaker 1: And why do you do that? I don't know.
Speaker 2: I've always been I've always been interested in in like being a student, because that's that's what my that's that's my parents' aspiration.
Speaker 1: Like yeah, like coming here, it's every ming, everyone, every mingrant, first first generation you you going to go to university, get some some qualification.
Speaker 2: Like you just you just got to work and make a better life for yourself. And I'm really interested in like real estates and property, right, So I've always been into that. My brother was My brother was a builder, so and then I was kind of got more interested in that because again, like desperations is always to build a house for yourself, buy your own house and all those things. So I was like, why not study that? But then interestingly enough, when when I was studying and I worked, when I came to Melbourne and I worked for engineering firm for for about a year. It was really cool just learning about different projects and what's going on, and I de started to take athletics more seriously. I actually got more interested in business. And I was like, well, like I think I think business is where I think.
Speaker 1: I might belong. I enjoy that a little bit more.
Speaker 2: I still enjoy property, but not as much as I would want to work in the construction space, Like i'd do more real estate things like property development and whatnot. But outside of that, like I'll enjoy the business. I enjoyed the speaking and going out. So I'm in Sydney. I'm in Sydney this week to do to do a conference, and I was like, man, I love that, love sharing going out, sharing my story and impacting one hundred hundreds of people.
Speaker 1: And do you try to show how your story can actually all the lessons from your story can be of assistance to people in the business world, Like you see you're talking to business people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep, yeah, so you or my stories, I guess the most commons like the resilience part of the thing. That's that's before their accusations, like that's just one of it, like before that, like finding your place and everything kind of spoke about here being a good leaders is really important because you're putting this position as a leader and you never signed up for it when I when I I did well in Tokyos, like everyone kind of looking up to you for leadership is like.
Speaker 1: Tokyo's when you were your fourth when I came forth? Is that the fastest eight times you've ever run?
Speaker 2: No, I ran faster?
Speaker 1: What did you running? Toyo forty four one? See, I don't even know it was forty four something. It's forty four to one, I think? Yeah? And what you've run? What a second? Quicker? Around one four zero? So so like you know a few tens of a second faster, but that's actually quite a long that's quite a bit of distance at the page you're running. So you and then and then and then from there when you went to Paris. Between Tokyo and Paris you had the drama. Did that affect your preparation?
Speaker 2: Do you think between absolutely? With the whole scandal.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Like.
Speaker 2: I've already didn't have as much passion as I spoke before as everyone else. It was just easier to pull away from it completely. It was like this thing that brought you so much joy and now is bringing you so much pain, Like why am I spending my time here, it's just a no brain and like spend less time here. So there was lack of training, lack of interest, and I just just didn't want to be around there, right h And and at that top stage, you can't be taking a month off, two weeks off, no matter what mental state you're in. Right, It's it's good for your mental health, but it's definitely not great for athletics to take time off. Yeah, he's going to one is going to give. And I just started to work on my health more than done my athletics and it just showed in Paris. But but I'm grateful that idea that way, because I think I think my my mental health was more important at that stage.
Speaker 1: And how important is it for you to turn up in Paris? Like and I don't mean that in a bad way, but like, yeah, actually get there and compete more for Peter yeah, you know, and also what we think of Peter Bowl as Australians as opposed to sort of saying look, i know I'm not ready. I'm not going to run a one forty four flat. Yeah, but I'm still going to turn up because you know, you're probably were the quickest noneunless you're still the quickest in Australia anyway in terms of the national at a national level. So you know you're the dude who's going to get has the right to go, but you know you're not going to run the same time because you're just not you don't know, but like they're in terms of probability, logistically, you know it's less likely of being successful and it then it would have been if you hadn't gone through this drama. How important is it for you to actually turn up? It was?
Speaker 2: It was pretty important And I figured out pretty late because I think only a month before that, I decided like to stop training. I was like, I don't really want to go there totally. I just still want.
Speaker 1: To be there. Was like stuff like you know, I've.
Speaker 2: Always I've always rocked up into a championship, like training the best I could and wanting to be there. It's like when you don't want to be there, it's it's not fun.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: So I think just a month before that, I took some time off.
Speaker 1: I didn't want to really go there.
Speaker 2: I went back, I was actually in America, went back home and I said, nah, I'll message my coach and manager I said, look, I'm going to make a decision whether I want to be there or not, and then once you get back home and you work through it, it's like maybe it's bigger than that. It's like it's like my third Olympics and I've worked pretty hard on that, and I think the idea of not being there and after that love it in the future is like, you're not a three time Olympian. I was like, oh man, I kind of need to be there for myself.
Speaker 1: I think you needed to be there for us too, and I need to be there. Yeah. I think we want you to be there. That supported me, right, Yeah, yeah, I mean I think that Australians who follow you and follow that particular event, I needed to see you there. We didn't necessarily expect you. We'd hope you might do one forty four flatter or even something less, but I don't think we had that expectation because I think most people that know anthing about sport know that your preparation wouldn't have been proper. Yeah, from you know, from Tokyo to Paris. Yeah, it's just not possible because of the intervention. But we still wanted to see you as our best runner in that event there, and.
Speaker 2: I've got so many messages it was incredible, like so many people were like, we can't wait to watch you you compete, and even after I was like, oh, like, I mean, you gave it your best and keep your head up and all that stuff. So it's like that fifty percent that you're talking about. I mean, I think some people probably weren't happy that I was there either, But but that's fine, Like, I mean, you've you've got to kind of you've got to can't accept that.
Speaker 1: It's also may fuck the begrudges, but I don't want to leave it on that. I actually been getting criticized lady for screening a bit too much, but a few people pull me up about it. But and I just say, well, bad fucking luck. That's my podcast. I do what I want, That's why I do it, So I can't say what I want but now. But but I believe that stop them. You know, there will be people who don't won't don't believe in you, and but it's got probably something more to do with them than it's got to do with you and h And I just think it was wonderful that you you did you did go there and you did do your best, but your best is only going to be as good as your prep and that takes it right back to where we started from in preparation. And you know, but at the same time, you you were prepared to take that risk yourself, because that's a risk. Yeah, if you know that you're not going to perform your best, yeah, you still perform.
Speaker 2: It's a massive risk because also, like we spoke about, like I've obviously prioritized my mental health, that's a massive risk because that can come back down and will at the same time.
Speaker 1: You could And how do you feel after it? So now in this post Paris, I mean yeah, you feel like, hey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I feel pretty good. Obviously don't feel good about the performance, like absolutely not, Like I'm that's that's not the stand that I want to be competing at. What I feel good about is like I think working out the courage to get to that start line. Yeah, that's and that's a complete Like the story is completely shifted, the goals completely shifted, divisions completely shifted.
Speaker 1: Like four years ago when.
Speaker 2: I finished fourth, was like the goal is like now the race to try and do one better to medal, if not try and metal the next Olympics, and through the interruption is like, man, let's let's just try to get better.
Speaker 1: That's our expectations to some extent, like and and sometimes we have to say, as in Jewels, I just could do my best. And that tastes right back to what you said about Australians. I just want you to out of a crack, just have a crack, do your best. But I actually think that is probably the case for most Australians in terms of what they expected from you. They expect you to have a crack, have a crack, right, you are our best at that at that event. So you know, like you went and had a crack, you did your best. And I think most people and the purpose of these having you, for example, on the show today, from my point of view anyway, selfishly is to say to Australians, this is the dude who did have a crack and did do his best under the circumstances, which like I didn't really understand all the circumstances. I mean, I knew one of the circumstances, but that generally how you how you think, and how you how you roll, and the objective you show like this actually is a Parlia. That out to anyone who might want to listen to this, and they'll be there will be, There'll be two thre hundred thousand people will listen to this, and which is our normal cadence. So and I think that's important, and that's why I think shows like this are important. And that's why it takes a lot of courage for you to come on to the show and tell your story so close to you know, Paris, it's only three four weeks ago, you know. I think people appreciate that in this country. Maybe America is a bit different. It might be, but there might be harder markers there, you know there because as you said earlier, Americans want you to win different. Yeah, they're totally different. And then when you sign up for an America, you sign up for that. If you didn't sign up in Australia, that's not what we ask you to sign up for. And I think Australians just like to see someone who can actually roll through the drama. And as you said, like that's real resilience, intellectual resilience, mental resilience. I think like standing up, standing up on the starting blocks would have you called the starting line. There must have been a moment. You must have thought yourself, here I am, Yeah, you know, before the which lane will we win? I was seven, it had to be crossover seven? Is on which seven? Seven? Like the two hundred you have to cross cross in? Yeah, you must been thinking yourself, Wow, what are four years I've had since Tokyo. It is like those thoughts go through your mind, where you were you at peace in it? At them in the moment.
Speaker 2: I was actually at peace in the moment. And again I think if I had the right preparation, it would have been a great Olympic Games because to be at peace on the track is it's always been my goal and how compete to the best of my ability and without the interruption. Sometimes I've rocked up to the truck without having that piece, so it's like, you know the difference, Yeah, I know the difference. And it was like, yeah, we're healed and we're back, just not under the right circumstances, not on the right conditioning, but in the right mindset.
Speaker 1: Do you I think you will leave this part of your life with any regrets?
Speaker 2: That's a good question. I think definitely, yes, Yes, I think I'll definitely have a lot of regrets in the sport, probably not competing as much as are I should have, and not taking advantage of the opportunities in the sport because but I'd also leave pretty happy of the life that I built outside of it, and in the opportunities that I've received I received through it, and also also the person that I've built through it. That's really important and that I could never take any regret from.
Speaker 1: But to be honest, here, it's for thirty years. It's a fabulous story, like actually a wonderful story, And the way you just summarize it, then that's pretty cool. You've got a backstory which in thirty years time, when you're sixty, you'll be you'll think to yourself, Wow, what an opportunity for me to experience all those things. I don't mean, you know, the allegations, but the experience of the allegation and being able to deal with it yourself and get through it and still stand at the starting line and the third Olympics and still doing your very best and maintaining your integrity and your family's integrity, and being able to get up and talk about it and accepting what's happened and not letting it knock you down. That's an amazing story. That's just amazing. And the fact you're sitting here so calm and giving us in that same lane, you've kept us in the same lane. No, it's about peace, your own peace, your own peace of mind, which most people never achieve it. I'm sixty eight. I'm still chasing peace mind, you know. And people say, oh, you've done all these things for me, but I still don't have peace of mind. I'm still chasing it. I'm still trying to achieve it. And here you are, thirty, you can still talk about it at the highest level, by the way, Olympic Games, so make congratulations, well done, Thank you,