Speaker 1: Welcome to Healthy Ish. Dear listeners, thanks for joining us today and hello if this is your first time tuning in, Yes, this is the daily podcast from Body and Soul with me Felicity Halley, and today we are going to learn more about building fitness endurance. Joining me is fitness coach and content creator Annabelle Ronfeldt, and she shares a few handy tips and exercises you can do in the gym which will help build your endurance. And she also shares her personal experiences because she's currently training for the Sydney Marathon. Now listening to Extra Healthy Ish, where she shares nutrition chips for your longer workout sessions. Now she's talking about a forty two kre but she's got something in there if you only are striving for a five k run. You can search for Extra Healthy Ish wherever you get your podcasts. Annabelle, thanks for us today. Unhealthy is How are you good?
Speaker 2: How are you good?
Speaker 1: Have you been for a run today?
Speaker 2: I was meant to, but I've had to push it back tomorrow just because I'm looking a little bit of motivation at the moment. But that's all right.
Speaker 1: Oh, I think that's music to all of ours. When it comes to endurance, some days you just don't feel like doing it right.
Speaker 2: No, So I did a gym session and said, but I'll get up early tomorrow and get it done.
Speaker 1: Okay, how many CA's tomorrow?
Speaker 2: Unfortunately I'm doing twenty.
Speaker 1: Four Oh wow?
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, not a small and hence why I've been putting it off.
Speaker 1: Okay, okay, yep, Now you don't make the rest of us feel normal, but yeah, fair enough, twenty four k's. That's a lot to wrap your head around. Now, when it comes to building endurance in a sport, now it could be running or if you're into swimming or cycling, talk to us a bit about the role strength training plays in building endurance.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So, I think in running, especially, a lot of people just start running and they tend to get injured. And I think that's because they neglect the strength training portion of it, which definitely still plays a huge role. And it's something yeah, people tend to overlook. I found myself it is huge in preventing injuries. I even suffered from shin slins towards the end of last year, and I later found out it was because I had a couple of muscular imbalances, which was then just affecting my joints and putting extra stress on my bones and creating a fatigue, especially when you were out there for long periods of time, say one to two hours, and the impact running has on your bones as well, especially your shins. So weight training just you know, works those finer muscles that you do use for running and helps you protect your joints like your knees, your ankles, and especially when you are running more, especially around that thirty plus k mark. It's a long time and it's a lot of impact on your joints, so it's a little tiper important to have strong muscles to be able to keep you going for that amount of distance. But then also yeah, at those injuries.
Speaker 1: Because I think it's interesting a lot of people, you know, we've got we're in like a running bonanza at the moment in Australia. I feel like everyone's running, which is so amazing and fantastic that more people are getting out there. It's a free it's free, easy to do. Just whack on your shoes and go. Not twenty four k's but yeah, maybe four. But we often don't think about the importance of strength training in the kind of mix of it all. So let's talk about beginners first, before we go into a marathon. How should we approach strength training in the gym if we're just starting out with you know, our running or swimming or cycling. What's kind of the mindset that we should take in.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think with strength training in general, just basic is best. You don't need it over complicated at all, especially nowadays where you know you've got the presence of Instagram, TikTok and all these people making different content. It can be very overwhelming, especially for a beginner when you're getting so many different things essentially shut down your throat and you don't know what's real and you don't really know how to approach it. So my advice was just would just be to stick to the basic movements, just the compounds, work your low body mostly if it is running that you are training for, and add in two to three per week. So for example, with my hyperprogram that I have with move with Us when it is running as well, I have an upper, a lower, and then a full body session in there. So again you don't need to make it too complicated. Just pick three to five movements that you're going to focus on, and then a couple accessories just to work those finer movements.
Speaker 1: And how long should we spend in there? What sort of timeframe?
Speaker 2: I hate spending hours, so I always try to do fifty to sixty minutes, like over an hour if yeah, not necessary, if you want to see.
Speaker 1: Resiz, he's got an hour anyway too, exactly over an hour. What about you? You know, when you're going for say a half marathon or a marathon or a really long endurance event, what how do we how do you well, how do you I suppose? And how should we approach strength training in the gym?
Speaker 2: Yeah, So when I went through my big eighteen week training block when I was training for my previous marathon, the first eight weeks was kind of about building that muscular endurance, building that strength. And then the second half, when the k's really started to increase, and you know, I'm running fifty k weeks at a time, running a half marathon every single weekend, it's a lot of extra strain on your legs. So in the second eight weeks, the strength training mainly became maintenance, just kind of maintaining strength because obviously when you are running that much. It's it's quite hard to build muscle during that period. So yeah, towards the end of it, it was just about maintaining and because of the extra load on the legs, it was kind of just one low body and then an upper body to Jan's substitute. In those days, if.
Speaker 1: We're a bit of a mid range run as say you know a ten or fourteen k, are there any specific strength training moves we should be doing. Yeah, So with running, I found it's really important to have a strong posterior chain. So obviously when you are going for speed, especially, your power comes from your glutes and your hamstrings and your calves, so working movements like your hip thrust, your rdls calf phrases also super important, as calves tend to get a bit neglected. And then also when if you are deciding to run longer distances, you need that muscular in durrant in your cords as well, so.
Speaker 2: Again it doesn't need to be over complicated. Just your squats, and then also your single leg work because at the end of the day running you're on one leg at a time, so it is super important to kind of balance out any imbalances you have between your legs.
Speaker 1: Now you are training for the City Marathon. I presume that that's the twenty four ks that you're about to attack tomorrow. Yeah, what does your training look like for this event?
Speaker 2: Yeah, so this training block has been quite different just because I've got a lot of events leading up to it, so it's kind of a bit broken. So I'm also training for high Rocks as well at the moment, which is spot on your Instagram. Yeah, so my training at the moment, my interval session a week is kind of based around the high Rocks, but it's still going to help me improve my speed for the marathon. So that's about eight to ten k that session. And then obviously I've got my long run, which just increases slowly each week. That one in particular, I run for time, so I do that just so I'm not focused on my pace, and so I'm interesting and try and keep my heart rate down because I find if I just run for distance, I'll tend to speed up just so I can get it done. That's really interesting because a lot of people run for distance, so you kind of flip it. I suppose it comes down to what sort of person you are and how makes you're suited to time or distance. Yeah, I just think if it's I'm out there anyway, so I might as well just go slow.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Well, all the best with the City Marathon, and thank you for coming on Healthy Ish. Yes, thank you, and yes I know we focused on running that. Hey, come summer, we'll give you an episode on building swimming endurance. And it seems everyone out there running right now, so we had to talk about running anyway. I hope you did enjoy this chat. Tell us if you did rate and review this episode, or subscribe to this podcast anything else. If you need any other info about building endurance, jump online, bodyansoul dot com, dot you, follow us on socials, Grab our print edition which is out in your local Sunday paper and until tomorrow you know it. Stay healthy Ish