Speaker 1: Hello, I'm Tory Archbold. For two decades, I've nurtured the world's top performing retail brands and celebrities. Now asking entrepreneurs, CEOs and influencers to share their own secrets to success. They're highs, their lows, the game changing moments, and how they got to where they are today. It's a podcast equivalent of opening the best little Black Book of Contacts ever. If this resonates with you and you're ready to step outside of your comfort zone and into your power zone, I invite you to join my exclusive community via our website.
Speaker 2: The Powerful dash Steps dot com.
Speaker 1: Today's Powerful Stories guest is Sarah Biale. She is a founder of Move based in Perth, Western Australia, which is considered one of the fastest growing property development businesses in the country. She reached out to me a few years ago and she's been really stuck and I know that feeling so well. She knew what she wanted to create and was looking for a wingwoman and a community to help her lean into the power of who she truly was. I got to know her and the power of her story in our business Attraction program, and the reason why I'm sharing it with our audience today is because I believe when you believe in the power of what you can create, anything is possible in this lifetime. Welcome Sarah to the Powerful Stories Podcast.
Speaker 3: Thank you so excited to be here and to be a part of it.
Speaker 1: Gosh, you know what, you always light up my world no matter where I see you. But I would like to take our audience on a bit of a journey of self discovery because the power of your story is nothing short of extraordinary.
Speaker 2: It's full of the good, the.
Speaker 1: Bad, and the challenging, and then it has this incredible breakthrough moment.
Speaker 2: And I want everyone.
Speaker 1: To really just take a deep breath before we deep dive into Sarah's story because it is one of extraordinary success and survival. But most importantly, it's going to shine a light for others around the world. So let's kick it off with what was your greatest life lesson and how did you learn from it?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think that it's a really tough one once you've gone through grief. So you know, after losing my husband and you watch your children bury you know their father, you lose your sense of self, you lose your identity. I lost my whole entire family unit, the person I was going to grow old with. And from that, I think I sat back and I was waiting for someone to come save me. I couldn't believe the world would be, you know, so cruel. And I can remember sitting in Hawaii and watching my kids outsafing, and it was at that point that I realized only I could save myself. No one was going to come rescue me. No one was going to fix my life, no one was going to rebuild me. You know, I had a lot of different challenges between losing my self confidence and my identity and then obviously trying to be there for your children and really stepping up for them as well. So I remember sitting on that beach in Hawaii thinking, it's definitely time to dream and your dream and I need to go save myself because if I don't save myself, I can't give back to my children, I can't get back to anybody.
Speaker 2: Do you give a little context around these How old were you when your husband suddenly died completely unexpected from a heart attack, and how old were your children?
Speaker 3: So I was thirty seven years old. We're on a family holiday down south. He went out for a run. It was quite a traumatic experience because he passed away only one hundred meters down the road from where the kids and I were out walking just behind him. My kids were at the time four, my youngest was just about to turn five in three weeks time, and my son was eight. We also had three other beautiful children as well. You know, there are only fourteen, fifteen, and eighteen at the time, So watching them go through what they went through, it's something I don't wishuld want anybody to watch for them to watch, you know, to watch your children bury their dad is something that nobody should really go through.
Speaker 1: So you had a blended family, which is tricky. At the best of times. You have your own children, you have your own grief, but then you suddenly recognize that you have to save yourself. Why did you decide to put your oxygen mask on first?
Speaker 3: I think it's critical because if you don't save yourself, you've got nothing left to give to anybody else. If you don't rebuild you, and if you don't invest into yourself, you can't bring your children and you can't support them in the way that they need to be supported. Also, you know, you can't get back to the community and I guess I learned that very early on. The more I gave to others, the more it healed my own heart. So the parent giving back to others actually is a really healing experience.
Speaker 1: So you started this blog for grieving widows, then you decided you're going to start a charity in honor of your husband. How when you started giving, did that allow you to find your power through that grief process?
Speaker 3: It all started, honestly, like on a Mother's Day, the very first Mother's Day after we had lost Spam, and I was sitting there really beating myself up about the type of mum that I was being. Was I showing up enough? You know? Did my kids feel loved and supported enough in that whole entire process. And then at that point it dawned on me that, you know, there's all these women in refuges all around in Australia who aren't in the safe environment. And I guess I learned through studying with a Buddhist mark to be, you know, to really find gratitude in my everyday life. And I realized the kids and I had so much. You know, we had a safe home. You know, we were protected and we were loved and from that I then stepped into women's refuges and supported those mums through Mother's Day, Christmas, you know, with gifts and things. So that was the start of my giving back to the community, and from there it really accelerated. So then when I got the opportunity with Victure Chang to look into it actually why Ben had passed away, then when we found out he had a genetic micro cholesterol that had caused his heart attack and sudden death, it then gave me a renewed sense of purpose where I'm not saying you can like shape you know, magic on a tragic situation, but definitely if you can put a silver lining on your tragedy and change your mindset and refamed things for you for me, Like literally the other day, Ben's corsin sent me a text message. He's been diagnosed with exactly the same micro genety cholestra, and he wrote to me and he said, thank you so much for everything you've done. Obviously it's not me, it's Icture Chang, and we know we went out and raised the money and we've done this, but he was like, without you doing this and taking this leap of faith and what you've achieved, I would also be a ticking time bomb. And to me, I guess that's what sets my heart on fire, that's what makes my whole entire world. And I was so blown away that he would reach out to me and you know, share that with me, because I guess that's what we all do. You know, I started the research laboratory thinking, if only we could save one person, it's worth it. And now it's been countless text messages and even from complete strangers. It's really quite remarkable.
Speaker 2: So through grief we find power. And you came out.
Speaker 1: Of working in a family business with your husband to obviously going on that pathway to finding yourself again and through your passion and purpose to make a difference in this lifetime to the lives of others, you decided to start again as a single mom and create your own business. Talk me through how you got that light bulb moment and what happens next.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I mean, I think it really comes on from you know, I knew I had to save myself. So nobody was going to come save me. No one was going to pay my private school fees, and nobody was going to you know, pick up the pieces for me. So in order to propel the children I have forward. If I didn't lead by example and be a leader on how you can do it, where were my children going to learn from? So it takes a lot of self belief, which is obviously why I also reached out to you. And you've got to learn to build a tribe of women, you know, around yourself. I had completely gone into my show, I'd lost my voice, So reaching out too like yourself and leaning into really great friends. It's remarkable how when you find yourself again and you find your voice and then stepping outside of your comfort zone. It's very easy with grief to stay safe and stay small, but in order to grow, you know, we have to expand and we have to step out of our comfort zone. So for me, I was like, this is there, I need to do it. How am I going to get there? Who am I going to reach out to? Yeah? How am I going to make this all work? And who can I learn from? Because at the end of the day, it's always better to surround yourself with people who know more than you. So I think one thing for me is that resonated when I meet yourself is all about integrity and value. So when I set out to do move. I was really looking for the right business partners, people who resonated with the same integrity and everything else. So before I actually opened reve I went to buy another business, and through that process I learned that that person just didn't align with me. There just was something not quite there, there was a missing jigsaw piece. So I stepped away, which surprised some people, but it was one of the best choices I made. You've got to really listen to your gut intuition. And literally, within twenty four hours, I got a phone call from one of my old directors, who I really admired because he had always aligned with me from a family an intertegrity perspective, and he was in business with an accountant, and I was like, Wow, that's my greatest weakness. If I can align myself with people who've got similar values and strengths, I don't have how remarkable to be in business with them.
Speaker 1: So I've got gspons listening to this, because it really is about trusting your inner voice and the secret whispers of life, and knowing that when something doesn't align, having the power to actually walk away, and saying I am good enough for something new. But also surrendering and trusting to the process that the right door is going to open for you. Now I've met your team, they're extraordinary. What you have created is amazing because the business.
Speaker 2: Is only a year old.
Speaker 1: Can you talk to us and about how you created a really strong culture anchored to your values?
Speaker 2: What are those values?
Speaker 1: But also the hard work that goes into rebuilding and creating something really special that you know is going to have impact in a market that really needs your help.
Speaker 3: I think for me is you've got to really stay focused, and you've got to be very clear on your vision, very clear on your values. So if you have those and you can anchor into those. So for our company, it's integrity, contribution, and community. No, not everyone's values may be community, But for me, I believe from my journey, you've got to give back and you've got to bring people along with you. And if you're in a position where you can give and help other people around yours worlds better, you should absolutely do that and you should take the community along with you. A lot of people question my brand and what we were doing, and real estate is very copy copy, copy copy everybody else I don't want to copy, so I don't like the way that we are portrayed out there in the industry. So for me, there's really great people within the real estate industry. So it's a matter of finding those phenomenal people who align with you. And I guess what I learned from you is the more you push your values out there and the more you show up with your authentic voice, the more those people come to you. So yeah, I've been very lucky that the people who are on my team are very aligned with me, and that makes it really easy when we're interviewing and employing people, is to really go down that path. It's very much so who you are as a human being, and then obviously also adding you know how much you work and how hard it is and those things as well. So I had met this phenomenal girl, Carissa, many years ago, and she had discussed with me wanting to work with me. Unfortunately, my husband passed away so that never happened, and I remember waking up one day thinking, I remember this remarkable woman, So I rang her. We sat over a couple of coffee, I shared my vision and what I wanted to achieve a move, and she's still with me today. So she and her and I have worked wait before the doors actually opened, She's very much so a part of that, Nie, So I think you have to take people along. I mean, obviously you and have made a lot of mistakes along the way, so definitely not perfect. But I've learned to really stay in my lane, stay focused, and when other people don't agree necessary where you're going, you have to really stay true to who you are and not get distracted by the outside noise.
Speaker 2: And there's always so much noise out there.
Speaker 1: But what I love, and this is one of the key things that I teach and I know you agree with this, is if you raise your vibration, all you're going to do is take others to raise theirs. But also that ripple effect of what you can create is extraordinary. And I love the fact that you also mentioned stay in your lane because there can be so much noise out there, But when you anchor every move to your values, your intent, and your purpose, that is such a powerful business tool because it's an undeniable energy field about what you want to attract but also what you want to create in a world that desperately needs more people that are working with that integrity, especially in real estate.
Speaker 2: Now, what's been your proudest moment?
Speaker 1: I know there's been many, but if you had to identify one along the highway of life, what would it be?
Speaker 3: I was, honestly for me when I stood up and I realized that we had raised the money to open the research laboratory hearing Uwa with future Schenkadiak Research institu That was a moment where, you know, when I set out to achieve that, that sent me a target of what I needed to raise. I went and seek help from other people who'd done similar things, and I can remember a gentleman saying to me, this is too big. You can't do this to be able to pull this off, Like I love you, but your ability to do this at this point, I'm just not sure, Sarah, and I walked away thinking what I am four hundred percent going to be doing this, Like, don't tell me. You know I would do this and I will achieve this. So when I actually stood up in front of all of my friends and family who helped me achieve it with Bitchy Chang and Uwa, I bank begame my speech, but I burst into tears because it was that moment of like, we're actually here. This is actually happening. We're actually making a difference. So for me that was probably it, and then if I can sneak in a second one, it would be probably when you came over to Perth and you know, we had a one hundred women in that room with that lunch for self belief. We had over thirty female real estate agents. We had women from all different industries all in that room. And I remember looking out when you and I are at the front, thinking, this is really truly a phenomenal moment when we can bring a collective audience of one hundred women together and all in spy accelerate. There's no competition, there's no climbing over each other. It's literally can we all elevate together? And to me that was like a really proud moment to stand by you and do that.
Speaker 2: Oh it's so beautiful.
Speaker 1: And you know, I think what was so extraordinary about that together is that the competition were in the room. And I remember you saying to me, why would my competition want to be here? And I remember saying, because you're lifting everyone up, and you truly are. And that first example that you gave about where you said I'm giving four hundred percent. I think that really sets the stage for who you are as a person. You are all in, You're a giver. Your value is around community, and you're unwavering on that fact that whatever you learn, you want to share and that is a true gift to the world. If you were going to share one bit of wisdom with another female entrepreneur listening today who wanted to start their business, what would it be.
Speaker 3: Surround yourself with people who know more than you seek help. I also feel like not everyone's going to come on the journey with you, and that's okay. At the time, I found that a little bit disappointing, but it's your journey, it's nobody else's journey, So be really okay with that. Stay extremely focused, don't get distracted, don't listen to the noise around you, and then also definitely go seek a tribe of women or men that are similarly aligned, who are going in the same direction that you're going, because you can elevate with those people who are also going the same pathway. They actually help lift you as well, and they will offer you advice that perhaps you know you didn't know you know. I've learned so much through other people. I definitely prefer to listen then talk, because so many people can add value to you. And I would definitely say take care of you first. You're no good to anybody if you know your physical and your mental health is like absolutely key to running your own business.
Speaker 2: Oh so true, And that is such good advice.
Speaker 1: I always say, you have a business when your friends and family don't support you and you have unknown people coming into your orbit, and it's the moment in time where you know that you've created that ripple effect and that you have something that can help other people, and you go, Okay, it's happening and I love this.
Speaker 2: Now, what's your next powerful step, Sarah help.
Speaker 3: My next powerful step is will be taking their agency national and then ideally will take the leap of faith and we will be going international. So that's where we're heading. That's what we're doing, and hopefully it can bring some women in the real estate world along with us on the journey too.
Speaker 1: And where can people connect with you and follow you? On LinkedIn and Instagram?
Speaker 3: Yeah? So on LinkedIn It's Sarah Bill Instagram, it's Sarah Bille Move real Estate. So love for people to follow us, love for any of us that the community's got to offer us as well, but we donzo More importantly, love everyone to come on the journey with us.
Speaker 2: Fantastic. Thank you for taking a powerful step with us today.
Speaker 3: Thank you bye.
Speaker 1: Thank you for being here with me today. I trust that you enjoyed listening to yet another powerful story. Sometimes we can forget just how incredible we are as women and how important it is to support each other. I'd love for you to take a moment to review the podcast and help support the show. You can also take a screenshot of this episode and share it across your social media. Be sure to tag me so that I can give you a shout out too. I'm a true believer of women supporting women, and I look forward to connecting with you again soon.
Speaker 2: Much love, Torri