Speaker 1: Hi, and welcome to my home. It's the Christy Cast live from the Compound. That's what I call my house where I chat to a regular crew of my friends and super interesting people from all over the world. And it's Jane whole day. Yay. On today's episode, we reveal that we have fully entered our budget busting era. We play around of what's in the belly bag, and we chat about mounting horses and faking it till you make it, and we answer the most popular Google search question asked of Jane hall is she in a relationship? See you on the other side, Christy Casters, Welcome back, Janula hall Ah, thank you, Chrysal Laswan.
Speaker 2: Great to be here.
Speaker 1: Good to see you again. Now, have you bought any faux hair scrunchies since we last met?
Speaker 2: No, because they're not in my wheelhouse. Having a lot of my own hair, I like to keep it own atchural, and I have no want or need for your Pattison hair.
Speaker 1: And also that's not in the budget. It's not in the budget. I did want to cover this off.
Speaker 2: I have gotten completely tired of spending too much money on things when it is not required.
Speaker 1: I'm sorry. Where is Jane Hall, and a lot have you done with her?
Speaker 2: Well, Jane Hall is now not a woman of significant means, But I have used that as a learning tool, if you will. I've branched out, I've narrowed.
Speaker 1: Sorry, I've broadened kind horizons, and I now look for more budget friendly options to keep my to keep my style alive, and to keep your stomach full on a very very meager budget.
Speaker 2: Yes, I don't, Yes, I don't spend a lot of money on food. I will admit that it.
Speaker 1: Always astounded me how much. I mean no judgment at all, because I used to be a lot more casual with expenses than I am. Now I've really reined it in.
Speaker 2: Well, when you're making your own bread for goodness sake, so you can save seven bucks a love?
Speaker 1: Correct? Can you believe a life of sourdough? Fancy sourdo is nine dollars? I can make it for a dollar forty exactly. But it does take you seventy two hours. I mean there is, I mean that's by the bye. Yes, But I was always astounded at, like how much you would spend on very high quality, fashionable stuff, like very stylish. I thought nothing of it, did I? Like four hundred dollars for a pair of shoes.
Speaker 2: Yeah, okay, Well, I want to talk you through something. This jacket is a remnant from the old days when I used to spend a lot, when you used.
Speaker 1: To be rich.
Speaker 2: Correct, Yes, thank you, thank you for bringing that up.
Speaker 1: Well, look, we've all been here. It's okay.
Speaker 2: But look, I mean, excuse me while I get.
Speaker 1: Out of this one. Oh it's a stunning jacket, my lad number. I want to talk to you about this. Yes, I want to put it on for you. Okay, Oven, I just your casual white tea. There are beautiful podcasters. It is a beautiful sort of fits breast and it fits me like a glass wide lapel too. Stunning, fitted, gorgeous, perfect fit. Look, don't go near it with a naked flame. No, but why would you? Why would you?
Speaker 2: I want to tell you something.
Speaker 1: I bought this. It looks very expensive. I bought this from Aldi. Yes, Aldi, this black?
Speaker 2: Even am I what? I'm a late I'm a late adapt to Aldi, and you know I'm later a late adapt to many many things.
Speaker 1: Don't get me started on Elder love it so much so after the incident where I bought the most spectacular garden solar lights, which, by the way, I've seen it high and BOUTIQUI type external you know, fashion for a fortune. Welcome to the middle Aisle Jane, Where have I been the best?
Speaker 2: Okay?
Speaker 1: So I buy the solar lights.
Speaker 2: Sniffing around, sniffing around, sniff, sniff. Go over to the little bay where there are a number of sort of stylish looking women hanging around it. What are they looking at? What am I missing out on? I unwrap this out of its plastic sheath, and I say, for thirty four dollars, I will.
Speaker 1: Have you, Thank you, I will have you. Jane Aldi's jacket. It is so fantastic. It is so fantastic anyway. And the other thing, I used to spend four hundred dollars on a pair of jeans. I mean, I cannot comprehend.
Speaker 2: That, citizens of humanity four hundred dollars.
Speaker 1: Are they the ones that you can't wash? You're supposed to put in the freezer? Have you heard that? Well?
Speaker 2: I have heard that, But that's perkish. I would never do that. None of my items are ever just not being laund at a thousand times no.
Speaker 1: Because fish fingers. Oh do you know what I mean? Frozen fish fingers are in there as well. I don't wondering what are you inferring about.
Speaker 2: What my my denim my denim wear might look.
Speaker 1: I just feel like they shouldn't be in the same chest vicinity as your fish fingers.
Speaker 2: Yes, certainly, okay. Jeans, yes, these ones? Yeah, Target, your twenty nine dollar girlfriends.
Speaker 1: All I can tell you is welcome.
Speaker 2: And do you know what you've always said to me? Look further afield.
Speaker 1: You don't need to buy your label. You don't.
Speaker 2: I go into Target in a frenzy because not only did I buy these jeans, yes, I bought good quality Belgian linen shirts for twenty nine dollars.
Speaker 1: Yes, Jane, I've been saying this to you for years.
Speaker 2: Okay, Well, now I'm misting right. Well, years are open.
Speaker 1: You're like, you know, fifteen years behind me and.
Speaker 2: Our fifteen years behind most of them.
Speaker 1: But now that you are where I was fifteen years ago, you know the only way forward for you.
Speaker 2: Is down in the depths of the Maya bargain base.
Speaker 1: Well see this cardigan I do? I do pure marino wall. Yes, it's actually country road, is it really? Yeah?
Speaker 2: Okay, Well I wouldn't have known that just by looking at it. I mean I could have found that.
Speaker 1: Now do you know where I found it? Oh? Look, could have been in the boot of your car. No where. Found it on the street on my walk yesterday? What I found it on the street on my walk, just lying on the ground. Yes, a car has driven over it. So there's a little hole that you can see here, yes, or a rodent could have done that. Since I've been outside, Well, there's another hole there on the other end. If I just go like that, you can't see marin country road? My size?
Speaker 2: What that was the God speaking to you, wasn't I?
Speaker 1: You know? This is why I don't go anywhere without a backpack, because I stopped and I picked it up, and I put it in my backpack and I have washed it. Oh you have, yes, Okay, but thank you to Janine or Caye. Yes. I feel like it belonged to a cave.
Speaker 2: Do you.
Speaker 1: Yeah. And maybe she was sasheting around the shops and it's just fallen out of the crook of her arm. I'm getting Bernadette, Bernadette, Well, thank you, Bernadette. Yes, so this is the only way forward for you, okay, hard rubbish? First, stop. First stop, Aldi, second stop. Que's dropped waterfall jackets from country road in your side of your road. It's not bad, is it? It's not bad at all?
Speaker 2: Congratulations.
Speaker 1: All right, well I've learned something new about you. That's for sure. A little budget buster. Hall hors hacks. It's still going to be a thing we do. It is a thing. It's called Hale's hacks. Okay, Oh, I love this and I'm going to workshop that. Can you think of another one? Now while we're on the Aldi that the Aldi jacket? Is it? No, let's just end it on the Aldi jacket and the next time we see give us another one.
Speaker 2: Absolutely.
Speaker 1: Obviously. That is a surprise to me, and you always surprise me.
Speaker 2: No one was more shocked than I can tell you.
Speaker 1: I have googled you. Oh no, yes, because I know you so well and I thought there must be some things that I don't know.
Speaker 2: This is going to end in tears.
Speaker 1: So I opened up Google on my phone and I wrote is Jane Hall?
Speaker 2: And what were the top responses?
Speaker 1: And then you know, the top responses are the most popular endings of those sentences.
Speaker 2: Now, I've never done this before.
Speaker 1: Okay, so do you want to know what most people are googling about? You do you whn to have a guess? Is Jane Hall a tight ass? Yes? Yep? Is Hall still addicted to honey soy, chicken chips king? Okay? Yes?
Speaker 2: No apart from those two obvious search requests, So no, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Well here's yeah, married close? Is Jane Hall in a relationship? And I want to know? Without ha ha ha? Who are these people?
Speaker 2: I don't know because no one has approached me for any kind of romantic interlude for many moons. So I don't know why these people? What do they want to know? Why would they want to know that? What are your I have nothing to offer another person?
Speaker 1: Oh my god, I feel the.
Speaker 2: Same, nothing nothing. I couldn't even anything worse.
Speaker 1: People think that that's a negative though, Like when you go I have nothing to offer, they go, oh, yes you do. I'm like, no, no, that's not what I mean, and not after people.
Speaker 2: To correct me on that. No.
Speaker 1: No, I don't have the bandwidth to give of myself in that sort of realm to start all over again with someone, to meet their family, to discuss their hobbies, to you know. I just don't, Oh please, I just want to sit in the couch. Are you surprised with how badly that is perceived by the rest of the word is, Yes, I am always surprised me too.
Speaker 2: I know I have actually a lot of friends who are desperate to fix me up, you know, desperate to say, oh, my uncle has recently divorced, and yeah he's lovely, and you know you both like walks on the beach. You'd be perfect for each other. Guess what, ring it ing ding? No, we wouldn't. I've got no desire to go on walks on the beach with anyone other than myself, and I don't see that as a negative thing.
Speaker 1: I was talking to this great woman. Her name's Jody Rogers's.
Speaker 2: I know, Jody Rogers.
Speaker 1: She's wonderful, so wonderful. Love on Love on the Spectrum is goodness, amazing. We're going to get her on this podcast on Great But she obviously helps people on the spectrum working out what to do in romantic situations, which is frankly a human condition. I think that applies to everyone, absolutely everybody. But she's also a sexologist.
Speaker 2: Oh, I didn't know that They bring that up on Love on.
Speaker 1: No, She's done a master's in sexology. Yeah, what is sexology? That is exactly what I asked her, and he did enlightened me. First of all, I said, are you really good in the saying, which is what everybody thinks when you know, when you hear that somebody's a sexologist, you set them mad for it.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, she was talking more about you know, it's sort of the study of sensuality and you know, the giving and taking of.
Speaker 2: Intimacy, all that sort of business. Okay, I know I know nothing about.
Speaker 1: This anyway, she said, Because I said, what advice would you have for a woman not naming any names, who's fifty eleven, Yes, who just has no desire, no interest to dabble? And she said, I would say to that woman, hrt. No, she would say, sensuality and sexuality is an ebb and flow situation.
Speaker 2: Ah really yes?
Speaker 1: So do you think that you are just in a stage where you're in the ebb of needing a relationship and very very low if that's.
Speaker 2: The y and it's been going for a very long time.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Maybe though, But when I'm sixty eleven, will I still be this disinterested in coupling up or doing anything more? Sensure than giving myself a foot massage.
Speaker 1: Will I oh, I was about to bring up something then, and you would not like it.
Speaker 2: I will not do it. Well is about me? It is you can bring it up, but if I don't wish lands, I would not.
Speaker 1: I remember I gave you something to try.
Speaker 2: Hi, Yes, yes, I do, I do.
Speaker 1: We don't have to name names.
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, we don't have to name names.
Speaker 1: But from my perspective, yes, it's been very useful.
Speaker 2: Good for the fish fingers ha ha, Yes, yes, And has.
Speaker 1: It has been charged? That's all you need to say. Have you charged? I charged? That's all we need to change. I know that you're a very private woman, but you did a little mouthbur then a little gurgle, a little gurgl. But I'm trying to divert the conversation into another realm. It's officially diverted. You've given me all the information that I require.
Speaker 2: That was a very interesting day when that arrived in the post box. I can tell you it was thinking, she's she sent me a little special lip gloss from price line or no, oh no, no.
Speaker 1: Well, the thing is this, we were never told about this sort of stuff in the eighties or nineties. Classes are fogged up, and I just don't I don't really like the thing is this. If you've got that, what else.
Speaker 2: Do you need?
Speaker 1: What else do you need? That's the thing?
Speaker 2: Well, I can't leave it.
Speaker 1: And also I don't like the kind of vibe. Oh, I don't like the way that they are advertised. No, because they come across as a bit dicky.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but they don't need.
Speaker 1: To you know all that. Na, It's like, No, it's not about that. It's about something else. I don't know what it is about, but it's not about that.
Speaker 2: No, it's not about that.
Speaker 1: No. Anyway, I've actually got a little game that I wanted to play with you today. Okay, It's called What's in the belly Bag?
Speaker 2: Yeah? You know I don't like to lose? So is this a game that I'm going to be?
Speaker 1: Okay, you will win, Okay, trust me. Okay, So I've put something in my belly bag?
Speaker 2: Okay, can I just ask? Can I just clarify something?
Speaker 1: Sure?
Speaker 2: When did we go from calling it a bum bag to a belly bag?
Speaker 1: Well, a bum bag doesn't make sense because you don't wear it on your bum A lot of people do love.
Speaker 2: Who other people I've seen them out in the world.
Speaker 1: I've never seen another human being wearing it on the wearing it on their bu You wear it on your belly like okay, all right, okay, so I call it a belly back.
Speaker 2: I don't wear them anyway.
Speaker 1: But let's go for it. I've got something in the belly bag. Have a look at it and see if it sparks a story from you. I'm excited.
Speaker 2: I think this is a bridle and a saddle from a Barbie horse. It is, and I don't is this from when.
Speaker 1: I bought the It could be anything.
Speaker 2: It could be.
Speaker 1: I think three stories that would fit, but I want to know which one sparks it for you.
Speaker 2: I'm drawing a blank here.
Speaker 1: You're going to have to help me. Okay. Do you remember when you were auditioning?
Speaker 2: Okay, okay, all right, so auditioning from country practice?
Speaker 1: Yes, and what was your role on there? In the end?
Speaker 2: I was the vet in the last year of a country practice.
Speaker 1: And that's where you met Vince Colossimo did and.
Speaker 2: The rest of that badly, you know, everyone knows how that panned out. Yes, we did have a beautiful daughter, yeah, and that is wonderful. But I did meet him on that show where I had lied during the audition process ruthlessly.
Speaker 1: Because you wanted that job.
Speaker 2: I wanted that job so badly I could smell it.
Speaker 1: And also because I didn't realize that it had already been around when this character was introduced, So you knew the juggernaut of a country practice. Of course I did. I always loved it.
Speaker 2: It was a dream to be on a country practice. So I get the audition for the role of the vet and I think, look, it's not a natural fit.
Speaker 1: Well, no, you're not an animal.
Speaker 2: I'm not an animal person. And even when I say that, I think there's gonna be all sorts of judgment about there. But means that I'm not feeling and I'm cruel in some way. I'm just not Look I like your dog, Yes, all right, who doesn't, I mean it's Robinson CRUs Yeah. But I lied and said, yes, I'm excellent with animals. Can you ride horses? Oh yes, I'm an excellent horse horse woman, and and that will be no problem, no problem at all. Show me the horse that I couldn't ride. You know, there isn't one. So you know, we start filming and it's really good we've been going Philly for a couple of weeks and think there's been no horses.
Speaker 1: That's thank good, there's no horses.
Speaker 2: And then then the script came where Jess, my character is galloping across a paddock towards I don't know, some sort of veterinarial disaster, veterinarial did I just didn't make that, make that up.
Speaker 1: It's a venereal very close and you must your heart must have stopped when you got to that in the script.
Speaker 2: It's really stopped. And I thought, well, look what can I do here? I can either come clean now and the whole thing grinds to a holt and they'll recast me. I'll get the sack and I'll be in all sorts of trouble, or I can front up and I can do my best. And I fronted up? Did you it's even I have ridden a horse, it's very hard to even get on. I couldn't get on it.
Speaker 1: Did they have to bring a ladder?
Speaker 2: They had to bring these apple boxes to get up on the horse. And then they were like, okay, so you need to go from there over to there so where the camera will be over here, and you just need to like you don't have to gallop, maybe just like a good trot or a canter a cant I said, what's a canter?
Speaker 1: I said it internally, Oh okay, I was going to say, why would you give an indication that the jig is up there?
Speaker 2: Anyway? I couldn't get the hat, I couldn't get the horse moving. Ha ha, come on, boy, come on or girl, whatever it was, horse didn't move. Cut a long story short. They ended up having to get into stunt woman on the day at short notice to get on the horse and do the actual, actual just sort of riding, which I had lied about, And strangely I was never called upon to go near a horse again for the entire one year that I shot on that show.
Speaker 1: Was there any ramifications apart from the great shame of having a stunt woman.
Speaker 2: So many hot tears from me for a start at being embarrassed. Yes, and no, they were really really good about it. But from then on there was a lot of kind of mucky stuff that I never really envisaged, like, you know, my arm going up a cow's body, did you have to do that? Yes? And into a goat's vagina, that type of thing, And I feel like they maybe wouldn't have made me do that if I could just ride the horse in.
Speaker 1: The first I want to talk about putting your hand inside an animal? Yes, were youre gloved up? And how far up the arm did you? What to the shoulder in? What the cow or the ghat? Not the goat?
Speaker 2: The goat was about here? I mean, it's basic biology, isn't it. Think of the size of the animal. That's how long the cavity is in a cow right up there, big plastic glove, lots of lube. Don't worry.
Speaker 1: I had a vet with me who showed me how to do it, like a real vet advisor. She was fantastic. It seems like a violation to the animal. It is, Jane Hall, nothing to do with anything veterinary, with your entire whatsoever. What does it feel like?
Speaker 2: Warm and wet and very tight? Actually, I believe, And it's a sensation that I haven't forgotten, and actually, even talking about it now, I'm reminded about how many things have changed in television. I'd wager that they wouldn't get your average twenty four year old actress to do that now, would they?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 2: No, much in the same way that we have regulations about child actors much tighter than when I was a child actor. I believe that they probably wouldn't let you lay person perform any kind of internal cavity search on a living creature.
Speaker 1: No, no, I don't think they would.
Speaker 2: What about you live in your learned What.
Speaker 1: About intimacy coordinators? What do you think of them? I only just found out that this happens now. I think it's great where somebody extraneous to the acting couple, yes, gives directions and it's supervised, right, it's choreographed, and it's just.
Speaker 2: In the same way that any kind of blocking is done for an acting scene, and everyone has made sure Like you talk about what your comfort zone is, you talk about where you're okay to be touched, how you feel about that. It's you know, you sort of paint by numbers. You go right on this moment, you'll be touched here, and then the kiss will go for how long and it will be this angle and you'll be you know, I just feel like it's so much more respectful. All the sort of kissing scenes and bedroom scenes anything like that that I've done, have just been well, if you go okay, no one's looking Okay, we'll just see, we'll roll up and see what happens. And it's just very it's very I mean, just recently in Wentworth, I had to like do a Oh you've seen it, that's.
Speaker 1: Why you laugh.
Speaker 2: Don't laugh, don't laugh. I wouldn't laugh.
Speaker 1: So I was so shocked. I was so shocked. I mean, I know that you're a goer, and I know also that it's not you.
Speaker 2: Second, I've just said to you that I haven't know that I'm not no longer interested in that sort of nonense.
Speaker 1: No, but I know that in the past you have it in you certainly that you enjoy the physical side of a romantic relationship. Sure, So imagine my horror when I was watching Terrible and which bit because there are a couple of them. Yeah, it was. And I can't divorce you from your character.
Speaker 2: Think probably just because I'm not a very good actor.
Speaker 1: So no, no, no, it's because I know you so well. Crying again and I saw.
Speaker 2: You in a car with Bernie Curry Bernard and he's my friend.
Speaker 1: It's like that was like and you were bouncing on him.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, it was terrible. I mean it was fine, but there was no we didn't have an intimacy cordon.
Speaker 1: Your hair looked amazing.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, I mean that's the it did.
Speaker 1: Then there was another one in an alley, a leg.
Speaker 2: Up against a I know, I know, but what a great leg look. It was true, as I say, I was in the peak of my powers and that was when I was fifty, so I was right. I was right up for it. I didn't have a problem, but yeah, it looked very awkward that sort of stuff. And Bernie and I are like great mate friends and it's, you know, really awkward, and he's very happily married, and I just we just had to get through it. Bernie and I were just like, yeah, let's do it. Yep, no worries, it's going to be fine.
Speaker 1: And is it easier that when you have to do that sort of stuff with someone you know better with a stranger. Yeah, I mean he's got no relation. Thanks for exploring what was in the belly bag, Jane Hall. Of course I was talking about the country Practice role. But I did find another Hawsey story about you. Oh okay, how's this headline? Jane Hall donates fifty thousand dollars Melbourne Cup winnings to a homeless charity. Now I read that and I thought she should body want that money. Now that decision.
Speaker 2: One of my all time regrets. What I couldn't do with that money now.
Speaker 1: Unbelievable, what kind hearted. So of course, now we were talking earlier about budgetbusters and I am baking my own bread. It's been an evolution. I started off with just normal and then I got into the sourdays.
Speaker 2: Have you got like a bread maker or you just do it like no oldie baker?
Speaker 1: I do it like how I imagine the women from the bornhoff And ad used to do it in the eighties. You remember them absolutely, some sort.
Speaker 2: Of apron and lots of flower going everywhere.
Speaker 1: I remember watching that. I rememb watching that ad and just being like, yes, I like bornof Did.
Speaker 2: You ever get to buy bornhoff It? I think it was a bit expensive for us, wasn't it.
Speaker 1: Oh no, we're we had Bornhoffen. Oh wow, it would have been on weight Watchers or something. Of course in the eighties, limits mom scars Scarsdale die. But so I am making my own bread. And I know that it is a fad. It is a fad, but I'm late to it because all through COVID people were sour dooing, and that's rare for you because you're normally a really early adapter. I am, I am.
Speaker 2: I want to love it. I want to take you back to a conversation that we had many moons ago where you had one of the early iPhones and you were very busy on it.
Speaker 1: You loved it. I still am, absolutely, I know you still do.
Speaker 2: My famous big call at the time was I love this. Text messaging will never take off.
Speaker 1: It will never take off, never take off. Well, you know, my dad doesn't believe in the internet.
Speaker 2: Oh, he doesn't believe in it.
Speaker 1: That the second doesn't even make sense.
Speaker 2: Okay, anyway, it doesn't. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Right. It's big of you to a remember that you said text messages will never take it, yeah, and to admit that you're wrong.
Speaker 2: I have been wrong.
Speaker 1: Oh jeesus.
Speaker 2: It feels poisonous coming out of my.
Speaker 1: Well because I'm guessing that you would be like me in that.
Speaker 2: Prefer a text message to a folk.
Speaker 1: Ninety five percent of my communication is done on text. I have no issue with it. Now I'm embarrassed. I don't don't be embarrassed. I think it's I think it's good. It's old school. Well, I think it's hereditary. My dad once famously said that bottled water was overrated. It would never take off. So there you go.
Speaker 2: That's where I get it from. In any case, talking about adapting to things, I've tried your TikTok. Now I don't fully understand what TikTok is, but I get them on my feed and I've tried some of the fads. Have you tried any of them, like, you know, the hacks, the things that I'm not, I'm not TikTok. Did you see what I call it called a tik tak? Yeah? No, I've really got no idea anyway.
Speaker 1: Have you got an account and everything?
Speaker 2: No? No, no, no, no, I just see them when it comes up on Insta. You know the odd thing that you can do. So I've tried a few, and I've got to say, oh, I cleaned my air fryer. There you go, you did, didn't you?
Speaker 1: Yeah, like buy carb and I.
Speaker 2: Don't think that worked very well.
Speaker 1: It wasn't great.
Speaker 2: No. In the same vein that the idea that you can slice up lemons and put them in hot water and put them in your oven to freshen your oven. Yeah, yeah, no, no, no, No. What happened was I had a good pi Rex, my best Pirex, and all I ended up with was sludgy, cindered lemon bits that I couldn't get off from this Pirex and it had to go into the rubbish.
Speaker 1: It was gone. You threw out a PIRATEX.
Speaker 2: Yeah, well it was from nineteen seventy two, so you know that's even worse. I know, I know, So that didn't work.
Speaker 1: You know, there's something else I saw on TikTok or Instagram or one of them, is that there's two different Pirexes and that you can tell.
Speaker 2: Which vinage yes, something about the trial.
Speaker 1: Something about something, and that would have been a vintage one would have been.
Speaker 2: Because I got it off GRAMDMA Lisa. Oh well no more anyway, thank you TikTok. And then I tried the when you boil an.
Speaker 1: Egg, if you tap the top of the egg where the little air pocket.
Speaker 2: Is, yes, then the skin will slide right off.
Speaker 1: Rubbish.
Speaker 2: What a load of cod's wobble. That was so many eggs I went through trying to perfect that. That's annoying, so annoying. And then, because when you're fifty eleven, you do a lot of gardening, and I like hydrangers.
Speaker 1: I do too well.
Speaker 2: I tried to strike one.
Speaker 1: What does that mean?
Speaker 2: Well, that means cut the top off one and then put it in a special concoction.
Speaker 1: You got too much time on your hand?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Yeah, is this my future? Striking hydrangers?
Speaker 2: Very much. So, if you've got a banana, what you're supposed to do is chop up the peel and put it in, steep it in water half an hour, then tip the sludgey peel out, then put your hydranger in and white roots will grow in twenty days. No they won't, No they won't.
Speaker 1: No, they won't.
Speaker 2: They do not. And do you know what? I to go out, especially to buy a banana for that because I don't eat bananas.
Speaker 1: Why don't you eat bananas?
Speaker 2: I don't like. I don't. I'm not a fan of the banana.
Speaker 1: What's your favorite fruit?
Speaker 2: Berries and mango?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 2: Yes, I like anything like sort of your stone fruit.
Speaker 1: Do you know what I love apples? Apples? I know you do, which takes me to my next question. And you know that I love to kind of take your temperature on stuff and then do what I like.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, the amount of things you've asked me, and I've gone, well, what you need to do is and then you've gone and done exactly what you wanted.
Speaker 1: Tattoos.
Speaker 2: Yeah, now I know where we're going with this. Now I'm not a fan.
Speaker 1: Even a beautiful apple.
Speaker 2: Oh god, the last time, well, like just like a little fine line. Depends where it's going to go.
Speaker 1: I thought I would put it on my wrists.
Speaker 2: No that's really no. No, okay, where would it go? Nowhere is what I want to say to you. Nowhere, but put it somewhere where you don't have to look at it all the time if you're going to.
Speaker 1: But I want to look at it all the time. I want to be reminded. I thought you were going to get a sentence tattooed. I was about walking, Yes I was.
Speaker 2: I was brutal about that when we were went.
Speaker 1: Away to balley, and you do exactly what I thought about, And you were right, because I did see someone who had something similar, and it was three years old and it looked like you know the way I see things without my glasses on.
Speaker 2: It was just a giant scan of people's scan Panad. Do you remember scan Panad that's got the nana and she's cooking with a scan pan, and then she's got this big sort of sleeve tattoo thing that's sagging, baggy, and they say some things you you know, some things you won't regret for life. Yeah, that's the frying of the scan.
Speaker 1: Because scan pan are expensive and worth every penny. Correct, I get it. I think I'm with you on the tattoo thing, because even though I regret nothing, I feel like eventually I don't regret anything, but I do get sick of things.
Speaker 2: That's right, you do forever painting walls and different artworks. Get rid of that. Yeah, that's old. I don't need that. I don't like it anymore. Yeah, and you're going to do if you've got an apple tattooed on you and all of a sudden you moved to like bananas.
Speaker 1: It's exactly. It's the permanency of it.
Speaker 2: And I think we are hitting the nail on the head here with you and I.
Speaker 1: Yeah, what is that?
Speaker 2: We just don't really like anything that's too permanent, you know, like husbands? Is that a fair call?
Speaker 1: I think you're right.
Speaker 2: I think I don't like to be I don't like to be hemmed in.
Speaker 1: I don't like. Yeah, I don't like there to.
Speaker 2: Be nowhere out of something. You know, is it commitment? Well, I don't know. Because I committed to you, you committed to me. We can do commitment on some terms. But I don't know. It's just I don't want to be I don't want I don't want anything to be inescapable. Yeah, so if I get something tattooed, I mean, don't forget. Let me tell you your trial. I think you're right, and I'll tell you a cautionary tale about your tattoo.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Go.
Speaker 2: My daughter loves a tattoo, and that's fine. Her body, her choices. Good lord, how hard that is to say as a parent, But anyway, we all must. She decided to have my birth date tattooed in tiny little Roman numerals on her collar bone. Beautiful, tasteful idea, except she googled translated my birth date.
Speaker 1: Oh no, and instead of.
Speaker 2: Being born on the twentieth of January nineteen seventy one, I'm immortalized on my daughter's collar bone as being born on the twentieth of January eleven seventy one. Now that that is offensive to someone who's fifty eleven but.
Speaker 1: Also, but also it's sort of the truth and it's sort of sweet, like the fact that she did that for me, I was just.
Speaker 2: Like, oh my god, that's so gorgeous, like howly sweet.
Speaker 1: That's like the most romantic thing anyone's ever done for you. Totally. Are you a romantic person?
Speaker 2: I used to think so, but I don't believe in it anymore. I don't believe in it anymore. I just don't. I don't have that again, I just don't have it in me. What's happened.
Speaker 1: I don't think I'm romantic either. No, And I don't know why that is. Perhaps it's because I'm really thoughtful.
Speaker 2: I'm very thoughtful and one of your very loving and one of your favorite things to do your love language is giving. Yeah, and you love to buy presents for people. Yeah, you always have done. But I don't know. I feel like.
Speaker 1: In your life there haven't been very many romantic gestures bestowed upon you. Yes, but I think that's my fault, Oh do you Yeah? I just a bit like la la la. Yeah. I don't know. It's the one area of my life that I'm just eye roll. Yeah, right, And I always have been.
Speaker 2: Yeah, do you know I do this stupid thing every Valentine's Day. I think, might just go and have a little look in the mailbox. See if anyone's popped a little missive in there, a little gesture of love, a little branch of a flower.
Speaker 1: I'd have to remember to get onto the.
Speaker 2: From the National Park. No, nothing, no, nothing, nothing ever, nothing ever?
Speaker 1: Why do I look? Why do I waste my time? Why do you I'm just a glutton for punished. You want it, but if it came, you'd hate it.
Speaker 2: I probably would, because again hem hem hem la la la, la la la.
Speaker 1: I think I've just realized the origins of my anti romantic stance. My grandmother, grand magical woman. I remember having a conversation with her in her hot as Hades house in Brisbane.
Speaker 2: Oh my god, because why would they have air conditioning?
Speaker 1: They just didn't in the eighties.
Speaker 2: No, that's right, My mum suffered through mildur or heat nuts.
Speaker 1: Anyway, I was in her house and the fan was going, oh and you know that does his blow around the brown mistrel on full and my grandfather, her husband had died long before I was born. Yeah, so he was sort of this, you know, mythical figure thickle figure. And you know, as a child, I always knew that Gran was on her own. That was her life. That was the only one I knew. So I always was fascinated at her somehow metamorphosing into that role from a wife and living with someone and all that. Yeah, yeah, all that sort of stuff. So I remember saying, it would have been about seven, and I said to her grand when Patty died, why didn't you get married again? Or like, will you get married again? And she said, why the shit in hell would I do that? And it wasn't the answer that I was expecting, No, but it kind of showed me. Oh. It was the first woman that i'd heard go against the dream narrative of you get married, that's where the white dress and you have a husband and all of that stuff.
Speaker 2: And you'd be surprised that's still floating around. I still get that from a lot of girlfriends, like, yeah, don't you lonely? Don't you? You know, isn't it something that you want in your life?
Speaker 1: Oh? That's interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 2: But it's fine. I'm fine with that. It doesn't make me a.
Speaker 1: Husk of a person, not one bit.
Speaker 2: Good Lord, I love my house where everything is as it should be.
Speaker 1: Let me ask you. One of my favorite questionnaires is the back page of Vanity Fair, the Proost questionnaire. Oh yes, gosh, and I wanted to ask you. One of the questions on it is what is your idea of perfect happiness? And what is it? When do you feel those sign apps is bursting? And you know those feelings of like I'm almost breathless with joy.
Speaker 2: It when it's a warm day, the sun has been shining and I've been out in it in some way, just basking in the sunshine. And then I walk through my house and it's perfectly clean, and.
Speaker 1: Hang on, what does that feel like?
Speaker 2: Yeah, no, you don't. I just forget about that. Forget about You'll never know it.
Speaker 1: It's coming, that's coming, maybe in twenty years, not.
Speaker 2: With those three at time. Anyway, you walk through the house and it's dusk, and you know, I've had a glass of wine, which you can also forget about. But then I make my way to my bedroom to get into my freshly laundered one hundred percent linen sheets.
Speaker 1: And the thing I bought you is fully charged.
Speaker 2: That wasn't in it. Okay, sorry, but I can see how this is your story.
Speaker 1: That's yeah, I.
Speaker 2: Can see how that would be a natural conclusion, but no, a perfect night's sleep, drifting off to sleep, happy.
Speaker 1: Secure, clean like and you know what. The list interesting thing about that whole scenario is you are by yourself.
Speaker 2: Exactly and I couldn't be happier. I'm fine with that.
Speaker 1: I love that. I mean, look, it is no secret, Jane Hall that the whole reason I've started this podcast is so that I get a chance to see you.
Speaker 2: It's pretty nifty little device.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you God. It took me a long time to organize. This isn't going out anywhere. I'm just I'm just.
Speaker 2: Catching Bruis over here just to.
Speaker 1: Slap our chops. Because we love each other, but I do we both have we have a problem in that we don't like phone conversations.
Speaker 2: I've had one with you in about the last twelve months that went more than ten.
Speaker 1: Seconds, and we need to do more of that. But I want to talk to you about your latest work. You're so secretive and you never told me anything, but I found out that you're in Apple's Never, Apple's Never four years. Yes, well, I'm mostly on the cutting room floor. I wouldn't call it a career high love, hadn't it Benning?
Speaker 2: In that Yes, And I got to do a couple of scenes with Annette Benning and it was brilliant.
Speaker 1: I loved it. Didn't make the light of day, but that doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: Oh, look, the fact that I basked in her glory for a small amount of time. Was she like absolutely beautiful and kind and she's got that distinctive, beautiful, deep kind of melodious voice. Yes, she was very buoyant on set and kept everyone. The one night that I did with her was a big, sort of long night shoot and she was kind to a la crue, and she was fun and she sort of kept the you know, she digged everyone along. And yeah, it was really, really, really fun. It's always fun to do those big American jobs, even if you're just eating a shit sandwich in the background, which is what I was doing, because it's on a grand scale. You're in those you work on those big sound stages with crews, with hundreds of people, with this thing called craft Services, which is a tent that has a kitchen in it and they cook food all day, right, And you can go over to the Craft Services tent and get yourself a little payea or a little you know, a little a little squatter or you know, they'll be they'll make sort of individual soups or custard tarts or whatever.
Speaker 1: This stuff rolls out all day and it's so great. And everyone has a trailer. It's not like when I was in neighbors when everyone gets changed in the same room. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Yeah, oh no, no, no no. I had a trailer, my own trailer with its own door and a lock and a little bed to lie down like Dolly Park like Doll. Did Dolly Partner have a trailer?
Speaker 1: Yes? And Oprah Oprah's got a big call. It's not a win a bago like Oprah's, mind you. And Nette had her own big one, and so did Sam Neil. So it's just fun to see those things on a grand scale because we just generally don't have the budgets in Australia to make stuff like yeah, and you're so low key. I mean I had to Google that to find out that you were doing it.
Speaker 2: So give you, like I said, like six lines, give yourself a plug.
Speaker 1: Where do you where? Can you stream it? Right now? Will you google?
Speaker 2: Don't you tell me? I don't know.
Speaker 1: Are you joking?
Speaker 2: I'm not joking. I'm not joking.
Speaker 1: I watched the first episode on Something. I saw me looking bewildered in the background. I didn't watch any more of it. I can't remember well. Of course, the great question is always what is it streaming on? And I never have the answer. So well, I think it's I think it's it's not Netflix, it's Foxtel and Binge. Me, you cove Foxtel and Binge. Catch Jane on it now. I want to end the podcast with another little talk about another little story related to Apple's Neverfore. When I read that you were in that series, it reminded me of a time that when we were working together on Mix Now kiss. Okay, so this is in the first year, yes, I think so when before we rebranded? I feel well, I wasn't there for the rebrand, so it was always mixed with us, No, wasn't it. No, don't you remember they did that classy thing of firing me and then rebranding it while I was still in it.
Speaker 2: Yes, yeah, I'm just not I'm not quite remembering.
Speaker 1: The joy of that magic. You and me worked with a guy called Jamie Row who were sweet friends. Jamie row yes, and he had one of those brain farts when he was trying. I think he had a few, but this one in particular is just gonna remember it and laugh. So I think I was talking about Leo, who was about five or six at the time, and I was retelling a story where he was like, Mum, how come I can never have an egg McMuffin from Macus? And I said, you wouldn't like it, and he's like, oh, we'd like it. You've got to buy it for me. Pluth Mom. They had a little bliss and so I bought him one, and then he took a bite of it and he said, hmm, I think I prefer my eggs organic and free range, which is.
Speaker 2: Still summing him up perfectly.
Speaker 1: It's classic Leo and could only come from a child of mine. Well, at that point this is all off air. We were just talking as friends. Jamie had a brain fart and he said, well, the apple doesn't fall far full far full far far full far full far full far. I remember that far. His eyes were frightened, like full far far. He didn't glitch. He glitched in me glitch, Madre, And you and I were thrilling it to happen. And then I think eventually he went from the tree, and on that note, I thank you again for your time. Please come again soon. I lived for this.
Speaker 2: I will be coming.
Speaker 1: I mean, I think we can all agree that clothes off the street or from aldi are equally excellent, then, can we. It's all about the attitude, bibbers. That was Jane Hall. You can follow her at It's Jane Hall on Insta and I am Chrissy Swan at the Christy Cast on Insta and Facebook. If you like that sort of thing. News, episode updates and who's up next is all there. Check it out. See you next time.