Speaker 1: Welcome to the how Do They Afford That Budget Battle, where we take a savings tip from a listener and go head to head. I'm Michael Thompson and hello, Canna Campbell. That good morning, and of course we need a judge to decide which of our savings tips is the best. And the judge this week is my colleague from the Fear and Greed business news podcast, Sean Almer. Hello, Sean, Good morning, Michael morning. Canna.
Speaker 2: Hello, nice to be here.
Speaker 1: Now, Sean, you have quite a challenge. I'm going to go first on this one. You have quite a challenge because you have to let Canna down gently because my tip is just that good. It came from Scotty. This one came in from Scotty and he sent it in to me, and all of the tips I get start the same way. This one says, Hey, Michael, I considered messaging Canna, but you need some love too. So every single tip I receive is basically just it is just all out of sympathy and all out of pity. But I will take it however I can get it, especially when the tip is this good. Scotty says, my savings hack is an offset of vehicle costs, especially during this cost of living challenge. I have listed our second car with Turo Tuero, a community car sharing platform. Our second vehicle is rarely used and just sits there, costing us daily in rego, insurance and upkeep. Now wait for this bit, Just wait for this, Scotty says, so far this year, I have earned twelve thousand dollars by renting the car out. We are actually on course, he says, to paying the entire car off. I could. I guess you could almost put it in the side hustle category as well, but I am submitting it as a savings tip. I think it's a fantastic saving tip. And you know what, that could even be a typo like the twelve thousand dollars sounds like it could almost be too much. It might be an extra zero, but I don't care. I'll take a typo. Twelve thousand dollars is an incredible savings tip. Turo, the community car sharing platform, beat that canna.
Speaker 3: I hate to burst your bubble, but Scotty is going to have to pay tax on that income tax.
Speaker 1: I think I don't think that's going to burst his bubble. I wouldn't I wouldn't be kind of disappointed having to pay tax if I'd earned an extra twelve thousand.
Speaker 3: Dollars or twelve hundred dollars if you've doesn't matter.
Speaker 1: No, that's completely fine. Me and Scotty, we are Laura abiding tax paying citizens.
Speaker 3: Okay, hang on, what about the wear and tear and what about insurance that the costs that you're having that person ensured to drive that car. I feel like there's a little bit of fine print missing here.
Speaker 1: No, clearly, clearly my knowledge, it's all covered within the platform. I believe I would have to check that. I'm talking out of my proverbial Yeah, go on, go on, Canna, what's your tip?
Speaker 3: All right? Every plate, so most families are struggling with the rising cost of living, in particular shopping at the supermarket. So every Plate is a subscription service, and you get six meals for six people, and it works out to be four dollars and forty four cents per serving. But sugar Mama knows how to deliver. I even managed to find a discount code which will get you one hundred and eighty dollars off your first five boxes of food, which then brings down your cost per serving to two dollars and nineteen cents, and that discount code is budget plate in capital letters. You're welcome everyone.
Speaker 2: Is it like a Marley spoon or one of those sort of yes, it is, but it's cheaper.
Speaker 3: Is it much cheaper?
Speaker 2: Do you know anyone that's tried it?
Speaker 3: Well, I read quite a few reviews. It was good and yes, well a few people said, is they actually will, as Tom says, cook once, eat twice, so they will use the food for that to take to lunch the next day. So they're saving even more money, right.
Speaker 2: Okay, so I've got to judge now, is that?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: Please?
Speaker 2: That's why I'm in the studio here looking at you two. So well, they are Any kind of criteria on judging is just what I.
Speaker 1: Like best's it's purely biased personal biases. Whatever, whatever you like, and I suppose maybe whatever you could see yourself.
Speaker 2: Well, yes, so I have definitely used those sorts of services the same as every plate can. I I'm just not a big fan of them. What I'm really sorry because I have a lot of people in my house and you kind of well, they're never big enough for my household.
Speaker 3: But you've got like twenty thousand children in your house.
Speaker 2: Yeah, that's true. They're never going to be big enough. But I actually you find them a bit repetitive. I actually think Michael's idea tiro t u r O, which is it's kind of like you remind me, to reminds me of ABNB but for cars, so it's kind of the same setup. And I at times have tried to hire cars and they're just so expensive. Anyway, the appshot and it pains me, Don't get me wrong, it pains me. Michael, you are the winner.
Speaker 1: Florius Sean I have. I have infinite respect for your budgeting skills. This is this is a suck up, yes, but I mean next week when Sean rules against me, I will completely flip and declare him to be incompetent when it comes to budgeting. But just I've just I've done a bit of googling while we've been talking, not that I wasn't listening to you, Canna or Sean, but just checking out the insurance situation with Turo and yeah, it's all included kind of and you pick the package insurance package that you want under it. So I mean, these are all things that you need to do your own investigation. You need to. These are just ideas, aren't they. They're starting points for your savings journey, and if you pick mine, then you've chosen a winning starting point for your journey. Kenna, the enthusiasm just that the actual kind of the visceral hate kind of coming off you right now. Canna. Anyway, that was a good one. Great saving sip from me, mediocre saving sip from Canna. Thank you very much, Sean.
Speaker 2: Thank you very much, Michael, thank you, Kenna, thank you, not really.
Speaker 1: So gracious. That was the budget battle from how do they afford that? A bonus episode out each week? Send your own savings tip in. I've put the links in the show notes today so that you can pick to send them to either me or to Canna, and it might be yours in the battle next week.