Speaker 1: Dan Houston, it's a line.
Speaker 2: Well he added a few of the collection Danston on the weekend some goals that I tell you what and now ultimate complexion of that game where absolutely vitally played a cracking game. And he's in the studio with us right now thanks to the excellent Borough Hotel Group nineteen dollars Monday a Wednesday at the Birkenhead Tabernick Selsat and Lighthouse Wolf.
Speaker 3: You just know it's a burrow. Have you been?
Speaker 2: You kicked the goal after the siren to win a game yourself. That's what we play every time you come on the program. How did that one on the weekend compare to the one that you delivered off your own book quite literally?
Speaker 1: Yeah, I think that it compares pretty highly. Like you know, you wouldn't have pick das to soccer one off the ground on that angle, you know, with a couple of seconds left, say ranks really highly. And probably the passion wasn't there because I was off the ground. It was a bit of a soucker. But I think you know ed Ranks is a really highly that win.
Speaker 3: Damn man, I saw Ken Hickley said.
Speaker 4: You guys play a lot of soccer at training and he felt like never felt so vindicated after Darcy Burne Jones heroics in the final second. What's the nickname that Darcy's got? Now there's something? Is it messy? What are they calling him at the club?
Speaker 3: Yeah?
Speaker 1: I think Darcy said in the press that Kenny calls him Palais. But you could you could literally run with any soccer player's name for him, and he actually is our best soccer player at the club. Is a good striker and always kicks a few gals.
Speaker 2: Is he really has he got a soccer background at all?
Speaker 1: No, I think he's just got good nowse around goals. But yeah, we do play a lot of soccer on on Monday after a game and then Friday before a game.
Speaker 4: So in the rooms after, like straight afterwards, because the sheer relation on everyone's face. And I'm not sure if you knew how when that went through that was it?
Speaker 3: There's no time left? Did you know that you'd want it?
Speaker 1: I didn't. I was looking around and on the bench there was no sign up and I'm like, how is there no sign up? Like they're looking at each other and I'm like, put something up.
Speaker 3: So you wanted to blast someone?
Speaker 1: I was like, sure, you put it up the sign that means like wrap the game up, and no one's putting the sign up, like I hang on, like something's not right here. And then as soon as they've all went up the sign around and I was like, oh, that makes.
Speaker 3: I want to go back a little bit earlier.
Speaker 2: So you forty seconds to go, you're effectively you need two goals to win it. Well, what do you know about the game situation you were at that point? How little time was left and honestly, what level of hope did you have of winning the game once you looking up at the school board and seeing how late in the quarter it was.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I had no clue how much time was left. And I remember a came Farel kicks me the ball and I'm like I looked up and I saw heaps of Howthorne players and went to kick a torp and it came off the side and I'm like, oh, there goes the game. And then next minute it's a free kick to Willie. He kicks a goal and then we're like, hang on, there's got to be at least a little chance if we get one going forward, if we kick a goal, we'll win. And it happened to be that, and there was no error for time and it all just happened after that.
Speaker 3: It was one of those wins where.
Speaker 4: It almost looked at you guys were laughing out on the fielding disbelieve. Was it like that in the rooms after? And what was Ken like? Because he must have just been shaking? Is it because you know, if you didn't win, I Reckon would have been deservedly on the receiving end of a major.
Speaker 3: Spray for the way you playing the first three quarters.
Speaker 1: Yeah, definitely. I think when you walk off you think about Dasa's goal and how good that was, but then you don't you start thinking about, well, forty one points down, we kicked two goals in forty seconds, and it just makes you feel like how the Halloween in this position, like none of us would have picked it. So was that weird, eerie feeling.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't have been.
Speaker 2: In that position if not for your goalkicking heroics earlier in the game. How important is and is it something that's talked about in a strategic sense or a tactical sense on a drizzly, wet day with a heavy footy your ability Kane Farrell's in this category obviously too just to kick through the lines be able to get fifty five I mean obviously Spectaculians into three goals.
Speaker 3: But your value of a day like that is.
Speaker 2: It something that's emphasized around the club because it's so noticeable watching the game.
Speaker 1: I think, not just in in the wet but the most game. You know, we do have some long kicks from behind the footy, so it is something that if teams do get numbers back, we are able to use our half backs to kick goals and can't kick two the week before against you long and I was able to get forward and kick a few and yeah, it's definitely a method that works for us, and we've got some uses behind the footy that can can do that.
Speaker 2: Do you have in your head subconsciously who's the number one guy who's going to handball you the footy if he takes a mark fifty five from goal and who's the least likely to handball it off?
Speaker 1: It depends how loud I call for it. If I screamed for it, I'd probably try get it every time. I try and be a bit respectful. I think Toddy Marshall gave me all three yes. I have to say it. Give Toddy pat on the back and say he would definitely give it to me. Who wouldn't give it to me? I think Charlie. If I missed and Charlie gave it to me, I'd copy spray, so I wouldn't call for it off Charlie. I'd let him kick it.
Speaker 3: I love it that goal he kicked. I think it was the start of the third quarter.
Speaker 4: Like you know, the Hawks just didn't quite put the foot on the throat the way they could have, and I'm sure they're having a big conversation about that.
Speaker 3: Now.
Speaker 4: Did you at the at the end of the game, did you talk to any of the Hawks players because they look like they just lost the Grand Final?
Speaker 1: Caught up with Karl am On on Monday morning for Brecky. I also did seem straight off the game, he didn't say work to any of us. But then Monday at Brecky he was, you know, a lot more open and happy to have a chat, a bit more bubbly, but deep inside, you know, he was probably a little bit flat of how it ended. But I think, yeah, as footy players you move on pretty quickly, but you you know, you do hang your head in shame for a little bit. If you do, you lose a couple of games.
Speaker 3: It's nice that you caught up with him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was nice.
Speaker 3: He's a lovely bloke.
Speaker 1: Port to Hawthorn there with Winger Wing Jarmin mp.
Speaker 3: Yeah yeah, I've going through your list going we'll have that one.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, you're ever going to leave nah.
Speaker 4: Portfolie Port for life and North Melbourne take your take your thermals on Saturdays playing an Antarctica down.
Speaker 1: There, looked at the way of the fournite and sunny, so in my pack some sunscreen as well.
Speaker 3: Yeah, good for a pretty reasonable day for it.
Speaker 2: Well hopefully ad Italian we can play some more highlights next week then maybe win it slightly earlier. Fans up right, they might appreciate that. Great to have you in mate.
Speaker 3: Thanks having we've got you in the brown low votes too perfect?
Speaker 1: How what I need now?
Speaker 3: A bit after the weekend, I think the ophon was already given it to Peenie smart money.
Speaker 2: Yeah, he's a great year, unbelievable renaissance from him. On your thanks guys, David Pemberthy and Will Goodings six to nine five Double a Breakfast