Speaker 1: O good a team, your bloody champions, Craig Anthony harpert'z you project Kate Save? What's your middle name?
Speaker 2: Patricia?
Speaker 1: Kate? Patricia Save is joining us. Tiffany and Cook is not here. But it's just us, two bloody champions, just doing what we can on a Saturday afternoon at two o four? Where are you at two four on a Saturday?
Speaker 2: I am in the office by myself. I love the piece.
Speaker 1: Are you at befit food HQ?
Speaker 2: I am yes?
Speaker 1: How's it going? And you're still raking in the money? Do you need me to bring a wheelbarrow down and fill it up with cash and help you get it into the safe?
Speaker 2: Do you know what that always could do with a wheelbarrow full of money? Couldn't hurt?
Speaker 1: What do you reckon? Like? Because you've got a pretty big organization now and you just tell quickly people who don't know you. So, hey, everyone, this is Kate. She's got two degrees. She's got I'm going to read your buyer because it never looked at it. Credited practicing dietitian. How did exercise physiologists diabetes educator double the green nutrition? Diabetics and exercise science advanced DIP in diabetes education, Masters in clinical exercise, Masters in Business admin. Done. You're not underqualified, let's say that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but if you're qualified nothing when you've done lots and lots of different things. Because I think all it does is open your mind to be more curious and realize what you don't know.
Speaker 1: Tell people about befit food, just so people who don't know you can get or just give that whatever bio of you you want. Who are you, Kate?
Speaker 2: Who am I? I'm someone who's passionate about health. And I think because I've seen over ten thousand patients in my clinical sort of practice, what I'm recognized is the majority of people actually knew what to do, very much like the people that you coach. They know what to do, they just can't bloody do it. It's too hard. They need someone to coach them, to guide them, to make them more curious and to have some confidence. And I think beefit Food I developed it. It's ten years this month actually, so ten years ago and well that's when we launched it, and the idea of it was really to actually give people the missing piece so they knew what they needed to eat. They were just too time for So everything that I'd talked to them about I put into the food, the four to twelve veggies, high protein, low CAUP, no added sugar, no artificial sweetness, no added you know, colors and flavors and those sorts of things. So just whole food, super super simple and small portions because I think at the end of the day people probably eat too much, and having a small portion often people go, it's a pretty low calorie one. I'm like, yeah, but that allows you to have your couple of pieces a dark chocolate, your glass of wine, you're whatever it is you feel like having without that impacting your health, your weight, not having to sort of compensate and do all these other things. So they're pretty small portion meals, but they've got everything jam packed in them that you need.
Speaker 1: I reckon like, for a lot of my life, a lot of my life, I just well, how much, Craig, how much of your life? At least at least a third, maybe nearly a half of my life. I just ate too much food. I just I literally just you know, if I if my body needed X most days, I would give my body X plus twenty percent. And I mean, you know, you don't need to be a bloody. You don't need a PhD or a master's or anything to kind of go, oh, well, if you put more energy in the and yeah, it's a bit more nuanced than this. And there's a few other variables. But at the end of the day, Craig, if you're expending on average twenty five hundred calories and you're putting in three thousand, there's a five hundred kind of calorie difference or surplus that something's got to happen with that. And apart from a few other variables, you know your body's going to store at least some of that fat. And I think that like being able to just because there's so much emotion around food cake. And I feel like you give I reckon you're kinder than I am, because you go people don't eat well because they're time poor. I reckon bullshit. I reckon people don't eat well because they love fucking high fat, high salt, high taste food. It's not I agree with you. Time is an issue, But I think over like, I didn't eat shit because I was time poor. I ate shit because I love the taste of shit. Back in the day.
Speaker 2: Now it's the ultra process food market. It hijacks your brain. So your brain was literally hijacked by the top three, you know, global food groups in the world that have spent gazillions of dollars on tricking your brain into thinking that the whole purpose of life is that next mouthful. And that's the sad reality of it is that you can walk into a supermarket when you really hungry and buy some baby cucumbers, but you're not going to because they're not at the cashro just stuff. They're not wrapped up in pretty packaging, and they don't hijack your brain and make you feel like you're taking drugs or alcohol or whatever it is that lights up your brain pressing the Pokey's button. And that's what these foods do so well. And I think the sad reality of it is that now it's really hitting the children. What sorts of chance do they have as adults? If we've seen this over decades and decades slowly occurring, and I get it, once you get to fifty sixty seventy, maybe you just give up, you don't care, and you eatat you want to eat, and that's just that's what you've chosen. But when children are developing obesity at an alarming rate. So it's tripled since the nineteen seventies. And I think the kids now it's they think it'll be a quarter of children by twenty thirty. They already know from the sign and said they stand no chance as adults really of having a healthy weight. You are far more likely to be overweight as an adult if you're overweight as a child. And I actually interviewed Professor Felice Jacka, who I believe you've chatted to as well, haven't you the smiles trial Deacon, No, you'd love her as you need a chat, Deacon, Distinguished Professor Felice Jacka. Oh, I am just a few things, but she's the number zero point zero one percent of the most cited professors in the world for food and mood and the gut, microbiome and nutritional psychiatry. If that's the word, I might have got it wrong, but it's something like that. And basically they just know now that the gut and brain are connected the hippocampus, so the memory centering the brain, the learning center in the brain is directly linked to the gut. If you eat the wrong food, you can't fix your brain. And she published the Smile trial and smiles as an acronym, but everyone knows that as a smiles trial. She couldn't actually remember what the acronym stood for on the interview, so I didn't have to remember either. And it literally had people either having counseling with major depression anxiety or seeing a dietitian and getting dietary advice. The people that got counseling got an eight percent remission in their major depression anxiety. The people that saw a dietitian got an over thirty percent remission in anxiety and depression. And I've been gazillions of studies since that all support this notion, and it's not actually directly linked. Well, it's not linked to weight, is what she sets like there studies, even when weight does not change at all. It is the quality of food that we eat. And the biggest nuance in all of this is the ultra process food, which is foods that are classified by the NOVA systems or it's a class safcation system that basically just means they don't have any whole food ingredients in them. It's food drive from what was food a long long time ago. So it's just not food anymore. Wowah the supermarket.
Speaker 1: So just just for your interest in mine and our listeners, and you'll forget it and I'll forget it. So the Smiles trial, the Smiles acronym is supporting the modification of lifestyle in lowered emotional states. But it is, I mean everything's intertwined, isn't it, Like like marketing is intertwined with psychology. I mean marketing is essentially psychology, right.
Speaker 2: Yes, it is.
Speaker 1: Try it well, it is. I mean marketing, you know much and all as I don't like them sometimes, but by god, they're smart. I mean the job of a marketer, let's be honest, is to manipulate, coerce, trick people to buy stuff like we're trying, yeah, and to get them to buy whatever it is that you're selling. Right, even a.
Speaker 2: There's nothing exciting about a tic tac, Yet people buy tic TACs. Like look at this little white what looks like a pill? How is that exciting? Why does that? People? Like people up? You know, white people buy them?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well, why do people buy a three hundred thousand dollar car, of course, not everybody when they can buy a fifty thousand dollar car with a longer warranty that's cheap at to run, cheap at a service probably more reliable, will lose less money in terms of percentage because people want people to see them in the six times deerer car. And you know, and I understand that too. That's so whiteer people buy a fucking eight thousand dollars handbag. White blokes like I live in Hampton. Every second bloke's got a twelve thousand dollar fucking graphite pushbike that weighs one down, Like I mean, this is you. Come on, bro, you're fifty five years old. You're not going to the Olympics, and it's good that you're training, but you you don't need a bike that's worth more than the average car. But we do it.
Speaker 2: I've got another bug bear with all of this. Now, you're a non drinker? Is that right?
Speaker 1: Correct?
Speaker 2: Okay? So I decided to give up alcohol for a year. I started on the second of December twenty twenty four, and I'm going to go to the third of December this year or whatever that is a year. And my reason for doing it was not because I drink a lot. I probably I'm lucky to get a drink once a fortnite. Maybe two glasses of wine a fortnite. So it's not that drinking is a problem for me why I gave up, but I wanted to understand the psychology behind it, the marketing behind it, because when I ask people why they drink, they always see they feel more relaxed, or if they're going out, they have more fun, or they dance more. They do this, they do that, and they think it's all tied to alcohol, and I think it's a load of bs because I went to a music festival girlfriends, and I thought, I'm not going to be able to dance and not drinking. How embarrassing I danced. I had no issues. I get home after work and I pull myself a soda water or a mineral water or whatever, and I relax. I actually go out to all my favorite wine bars. I have like four wine bars that i'd go and visit after work, and I do that because it's just a spot for me to stop and relax before I go home or pick up kids. So I now go and have they all know I'm not drinking alcohol, and they've got some non alcoholic something for me, and they know I like, they're no added sugar ones. So it's not the buzz or the relax from the alcohol or the sugar. So what is it? Is it just marketing? Have we been told that alcohol makes us feel this way or more likely to pick up or we can be an idiot when we're on alcohol, because my husband still thought I was an idiot at the dance festival and I'm like, and I'm not even drinking, Still an idiot?
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, that's really like the psychology of selling food and booze. And I mean there's good food that's sold, there's bad food that's sold. But like you said that, nobody's putting broccoli or fucking Brussels sprouts or carrots at the checkout in supermarkets, right, We're not getting any of that. There's not a fresh fruit produce section near the till. But I think, oh, if you.
Speaker 2: Are hind you put it on the packet and then you get fined three million dollars per pretending that it had something in it that it doesn't, So they must have tried.
Speaker 1: Yeah, look, I reckon. It's interesting because I've never been a drinker, so I've never had to give up and people like, over the years, people would say to me, I mean everything from like what the fuck is wrong with you? Through to oh, you're amazing, how disciplined you I go it takes zero discipline because I've never It's like saying to a non smoker, fuck, how do you not smoke? It's so good of you. Like I think about drinking alcohol and yeah, well I don't really, but if I did, I'm like, it's like, there's just there's no there's no sense to me missing out of deprivation of poor me. And over the years, like one thing, I've had a version of this many times. People will say because of how I live and by the way, I never recommend anyone live like me. In fact, the opposite, I say, just figure out what works for you and do that because everything from my job, the way I work, the way I eat, the way that I socialize. I don't think the way that I do life would suit most people or be optimal for most people. But people almost feel sorry for me, like I am missing out. I'm like, I don't like. At the risk of sounding a little bit aeric, I'm like, I'm sixty one. I take no medical well, I take one tablet which is for genetic blood pressure, but that's other than that and that's not lifestyle, that's genetics. But I take no medication other than that. I don't drink, I don't smoke. I at two meals a day. I lift weights every day, I walk ten k's every day. I'm strong, I'm leaning on functional. My brain works good. I mean, I could die next week. I hope not. But you know, all things being equal, like, there's not a lot of reason to feel sorry for me. And some people are like, oh, you're missing out. I'm like, have you do you? I mean, other than the fact that you're drinking booze. Like you know, it's going to sound judge, but some of the people that are telling me this, they're not the high watermark for health, if you know what I mean. And I'm like, hey, bro, you can't get another body. That's the only one you've got. And you're having a dig at me because I don't drink booze like you, and you're gonna I mean like, yeah, it's it's difficult because you don't want to be arrogant, but you care about and look this whole thing as you you know, you were talking about kids, right, and let's open that door a bit because I was I was a morbidly obese kid. And you know, people get a bit hysterical when I say I was a fat kid, And I'm like, okay, firstly, I'm talking about me, not any other human. Yes, what I was fat, two, I was a kid.
Speaker 2: Yes.
Speaker 1: Now, I'm not saying I was a bad human. I'm not saying I'm shit. I'm just saying I was morbidly obese. That was the practical physiological reality of my childhood. Now that might bother you. But the other truth is that childhood obesity is on the rise in Australia. But when you say that, people take that as some kind of moral judgment. No, like it or not like it. There are negative physiological consequences to obesity. You might not want to And we're not saying that that you can't be relatively healthy. We're not saying that you're a bad human. We're not saying you're weak, We're not saying none of that. I'm just saying I know that lots of disease correlates pretty positively with obesity. That's not an opinion or an idea. That's fucking science. Now, if the science upsets you, Okay, I didn't make this shit up.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: I have friends who are out of shape, and I love them, and they know they're out of shape because they talk to me. I don't love them any less. In fact, I care about them and worry about them. I don't give a fuck what they look like. I don't give a fuck what they weigh. I don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks of them, or whether or not they can fit into this or that. But I want them to live a long, healthy, happy life. That's my motivation. And it's just like, Wow, there's so much shit you can't and it seems like, and I've said this too many times, we're more interested in protecting someone's feelings for three minutes than their physical health for three decades.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And so that's stat around childhood obesity. It's eighty percent of overweight children become overweight adults. Eighty percent. Would you intentionally, as a pair of and if there's something you could do about only giving them a twenty percent chance of being a healthy weight, Like, wouldn't you do something about that? Like those odds are pretty high. And I feel like it's not publicized enough. It's not talked about on the television, the media, whatever we're looking at because we're trying to be very gentle about people's feelings, which is fine, but what about their health and what about the fact that they'll have a lower life expectancy than their parents. I can tell you right now, if my kids didn't live, I don't know how I could keep living. Like, once you're a parent, you can't imagine life without your kids. Now, imagine that the majority of parents that are giving birth today are going to have to bury their children because their children's life expectancy is going to be less than their own. So that's a pretty scary thought and it's a horrible thing to say, but it is a reality of where the health of Australia is heading. And it's not just Australia, it's the entire world. It is the fact that the manufacturers are the ultra process food. They fund the governments, they fund the science, they fund everything. They fund the supermarket. So we think we're getting a choice when we go to the supermarket. We stand back and we look at the shelves, or we look in the fridge, or we look at the freezer, and we think I'm going to pick the healthiest thing here. Well, guess what the healthy shit did not get into the supermarket. They cut it. Beefit. Food is being cut because the supermarkets don't get enough margin out of it, they don't get enough sales. They say, that's not what people want. Okay, So if people want cocaine, you're going to get them cocaine. If people just want a well, we do. We have a whole aisle of ice cream now, so that's what you get. And that is a problem that we are not acting as adults and making decisions that are better for our futures and better for our health. We are literally listening to the little thing in our head that tells us just ice cream. Just give me two aisles of ice cream. All Like in the States, when you walk into a supermarket and it's pretty much all ultra process food, Like you could stand there for hours just trying to pick a loaf of bread because they come in so many different colors, with so many different flavors and so many different additives, and all of them are ultra processed. So people do not have a choice when they walk in. The choice has already been made for us, and that's the people aren't recognizing.
Speaker 1: Okay, good now, I'm going to play the devil's advocate. I agree with you, by the way, but I'm just going to take another look at it. Right, So I think part of the I think so I'm a businessman, you're a businessman, you're a business woman. Sorry woman, yep, last time I checked. So here's my thing. Though I agree with you and I wish there are way better food options in supermarkets, but the job of a supermarket is not to care about people's health. It's to make money, so they are always going to go. So we've got beefit food or we've got fucking Bob Smith's ice creams. What's the bigger margin? What are people you know, what are Australians addicted to? Well, of course fuck beefit food. See you. Yes, it's a better product, but it doesn't make us more money. So I think, while I agree with you, I think our hope or expectation that they will be ethically driven, not financially driven, like that they will make the best decision, not for the bottom line of the organization, but the best decision for the health of the nation. I don't think we can expect that. I wish we could just could help.
Speaker 2: Like the government, so do you know there's a four hundred tax on cigarettes. Guess what the tax is that we're trying to get through on sugar beverages like soft drinks ten percent, and they taxed it fo one hundred percent like they did smoking. Because it's actually the second leading cause of death is ultra process foods and obesely related illness. Then why are we not you know, more people are dying of that than anything else. Why is that not being at the same rate of cigarette smoking? Like, let people know, put a warning side. This will cause an amputation later on in life. You may go blind, your kidneys will fail, and you may lose a leg if you drink this every day for the next forty years, which people have been doing without the warning. But God forbid you say something's healthy. I don't think you're allowed to say that. The guidelines are pretty strict about not being able to call that healthy because is it really healthy? Well, where's the call out to say this will kill you at some point in time?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, oh I love it. I'm never having you so fired up. Hey, okay, a couple of things. You make a really good point, some really good points. I just want to backtrack on one thing, four hundred percent tax on cigarettes. Now that goes to the government, right yep. Well, how fucking amazingly profitable are cigarettes for the government?
Speaker 2: Yes, right yep? Can they completely because where's that money going to come from?
Speaker 1: How ironic is that the thing that we absolutely, like, I mean, talk about the extreme case. We unequivocally absolutely know that cigarettes cause cancer. Nonetheless, despite the government's alleged kind of concern, they're still making a fuck load of money through that particular thing that kills people, hand over fist, right, And so one we know that this causes cancer. Two we still sell it. It's still legal. Three we make lots of money from it. What why is this not being you know, why is this not the biggest you know? But by the yeah, but by the way, you know, if you want to have.
Speaker 2: I'm a soft drink in the supermarket, there's no age limit on that, at least with cigarettes. If you're andre d and you're not allowed to buy them, but you can go the soft drink. I'll fill up your trolley full of soft drink and down three laters a day, and that's that's okay, that's unsupervised.
Speaker 1: Can I say a pursuant to your comments about sugar, your honor, one of my friends is about two inches away from fucking dialysis because his kidneys are fucked right. Yeah, because he has just drunk sugar for forty years.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yep. I lost a friend on dialysis too from sugar, and he had amputated toe and it should have been feet, should have been more, but he died before the extra amputations. But five hours, three times a week on dialysis. I used to sit with him and chat to him, and he goes, God, I wish him to wish I listened to my doctor when I was forty and I was a pilot. He told me, if I don't stop eating like this, I'm going to die of a heart attack. By the time I'm sixty, I'm going to lose my legs. He told him everything, and you'll be blind. And he goes, I'm sitting here now, and every single thing my doctor told me he was right about. He goes, except outlive the doctor.
Speaker 1: So isn't it interesting how we It's almost like we have to have some tragedy personally happen. Not everyone, of course, but how many people get told a version of that? If you don't do this, then this is probably a likely outcome. And I'm not trying to judge our listeners or anyone here, but I'm thinking, how many times did you know, even myself, Like, there's stuff I'm going to throw me under the bus. There's stuff that I've done over the years, not necessarily around for just shit, you know, habits and patterns and behaviors that were somewhat counter intuitive and counterproductive and borderline toxic. But it's like, oh, I kept doing avert. You know, for me, part of it was food. I mean, I kept I've told you this, but you know I was. I was a fat kid, and then I got in shape, but I still didn't really sort out my relationship with food. I was just white knuckling it for years because I hadn't really created massive internal shift where I had really created a new normal. It took me until I was about thirty five. But I remember, even in my late twenties and early thirties, Kate, I got I got out of shape again, but I had lots of muscle, and I always wore the right clothes and all that shit. But I was so I'm made five kilos now, I was one hundred and seventeen kilos, so thirty two kilos heavier at one stage. At stage, I owned three gyms, and I was basically giving people advice that I wasn't following like you know I was, and it I I can't remember exactly what happened, but I had an epiphany. I can't remember if anything triggered it, or I remember thinking part of it was. I remember seeing myself in a photo that was not all of it, but part of it, and I went, I look fucking I was humiliated and embarrassed because I had Now I'm only talking about me, everyone, don't get angry. I had deluded myself to what I looked like. And I went, oh, my god, you are You are a morbidly obese bloke who owns a gym and multiple gyms and tells people how to eat and train and optimize their life, and you're not fucking doing it. You're a fraud. And I just went right, I'm you know, I have to put up my hand and go, I'm the problem. I am, literally, And I can tell myself all the stories, Oh you've got lots of muscle and you but yet all that bullshit it's going yea, yeah, but I'm literally fucking up my own health and that I would say. It took me until I was about forty before I think I really kind of where I had created a normal operating system that actually worked. And it wasn't. It wasn't discipline and self control and will power right, but it just like getting your food right or your booze right, or your body right, because there's so much We have so much emotion around our eating and our socializing and our appearance and our weight. So I understand all the pain that people have.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but also you.
Speaker 1: Can't get another body. It's fucking look up for that one.
Speaker 2: Yes, And I think too to really remove the actual kilo's weight scales part, I don't weigh myself, not for any other reason than we've got really bloody, annoying scales and they're digital and you've got to touch the buttons and bend down and touch them, and I don't. I'm just too lazy too, So I just don't weigh myself. But I know that my weight doesn't really change by much. I think it always stays within a five KI low window. But that's because I do mostly the same things, and I think it's only if I would I changed or stopped exercising completely. And I'm not someone who's obsessed with exercise. I do pilates twice a week, and I just make sure I go for a couple of runs or walks or a bit of strength training. But the weight isn't the trigger. It's how you feel in terms of your energy, your emotions. For me, if I'm not looking after myself, my glands go up. So it's not weight, it's what should your body feel like. And if you're used to feeling one hundred percent, then you know when you're at ninety. If you're used to feeling ninety percent, you know when you're at seventy. And if you're only used to feeling fifty percent but you're waking up at twenty percent, there's something wrong and everybody should be able to feel one hundred perc. I believe that because I've seen people go I just didn't know that I could wake up with energy. I didn't know that I could get out of bed in the morning and feel good. And that's if you haven't felt like that, it's possible. But if people don't tell people it's possible to feel like that. They can't make an effort to feel better. So it's not the weight, it's the health of the total body. And you know in your own brain what that feels like and if your body feels healthy. So I think, yes, being overweight and carrying lots of body fat is really hazardous for help. However, there is no perfect number, There is no perfect weight. It is when do you feel supercharged? When do you feel amazing? When are your joints not sore or not inflamed, or your energy levels or your brain working clear and those sorts of things.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and you said a good thing. Oh, you said lots of good things. But one thing. I think a lot of people who haven't really kind of really really tried to optimize their body and their genetics and you know, nutrition and lifestyle. I think sometimes they get they're shocked at. I want to tell you a quick story. So when I opened my first studio, which was nine ninety, Australia's first PT studio, i'd literally been open for a couple of months and on the door downstairs this was pre I mean it was Harper's, but it wasn't called that. So my gyms were called Harper's, but my first studio, it just had Craig Harper Fitness Consultants, which was very fancy in ninet ninety, Like, all fuck is a consultant? I wasn't. I was just a fucking bodybuilder trying to be fancy, right, But anyway, this lady came up the stairs and she was seventy one years old. I won't say her name. She was carrying a basket, you know, the cane basket with the handle, sir, and she wanted to lose some weights and she had no idea. She'd never been to a gym, she'd never really been an exerciser, and she was overweight and unfits and unhealthy, but seventy one years old and walked up because it said fitness consultant. Then she walked up and she basically just walks into this pet studio where there's this big fucking buffhead in the singlet training himself in the middle of the day called Craig Harper. And then she opens the door, comes into the gym because she walks up some stairs and then sees me and absolutely just shits herself, herns around and starts to walk out. So I quickly kind of go saialo and I somehow talk her into doing a session and she's terrified. So I said just come in later or come in. Maybe it was the next day, and I said, let's just do thirty minutes something. I'm not going to charge you. Come in and if you don't like it, don't come back. And if you like it, we'll maybe do a few more. No pressure, no, you know, zero zero costs, zero risk. And so I didn't even know she turned up. She came back next day. The quick version is this, so I started working out with her. She literally couldn't run thirty meters like she was, you know, very overweight, very unhealthy. Everything that you shouldn't do apart from cigarettes, she did.
Speaker 2: Yep.
Speaker 1: Fast forward about eight months and what age was she seventy one?
Speaker 2: Right? Okay?
Speaker 1: Her and I did a five k fun run. She ran, ran, She did not walk one step. She ran the five k's I remember her. I shouldn't say this, but it was just funny. She was a cack. She was quite big and quite busty, and she used to hold her boobs when she ran, and she'd be like, you'll be the death of me, you know. In order we got on. I was kind of almost like her grum's grandson, because I was a kid then. But anyway, this beautiful woman, and oh she lost forty k's. She went from like ninety five to like fifty five. She was little, she was short, and she started running and started strength training and she would dead lift, she would squat, she would do and her family, her daughter rang me and asked to come and see me, and she said, I'm on behalf of my family. Thank you. And when we did that, and I mean I was just coaching it. I didn't do any of the work. She did one hundred percent of the work. And I said that to the daughter, I go, your mom is fucking awesome. But you know what I loved because she didn't have any idea of her capacity, and so when I said we're going to do this, she didn't have a reference point to say, oh, that's too much, or that's too heavy, or that's too far. She would just say can I do that? And I'd go, yes, you can, and so she would just do.
Speaker 2: It no way.
Speaker 1: My long point is we've got a lot of potential at any age.
Speaker 2: Absolutely well. I got the biggest shock I was filming on Thursday. I've got a message from my dad saying I've just joined the gym. We can talk about it at dinner tonight. And he's eighty two. He turned eighty two in January. We lost Mom two years ago. So Mum was seventy, Dad was eighty mm went to aerobics five days a week, she ate all the right things, she was fifty five kilos and she died of no known cause. And Dad had funeral insurance for himself because he ate McDonald's. He worked a you know, sedentary jobby's whole life. He was not particularly healthy. Mom was supposed to live forever. Dad was meant to die. He even had his funeral insurance. So when Mom died, Dad's like whoa, Like that was supposed to me? Me, how did this happen? And you know, none of us know, but that's the world. It's a weird place. So then Dad, ever since Mom has died, has started all these really really healthy behavior. So I went over there the other day and like he's sitting in his couch and I go, like, there's no glass of wine there. Usually every afternoon of his life he'd drink a couple of glasses of wine and I go, what are you eating? And he goes, oh, I've just got some yogan and berries. Not that sweet and stuff though, just you know, the plain, great yogat and berries, and I go. Mommy's literally turning in her grave to think that eighty two year old dad would touch yogurt and fruit like he was the macas guy. He would. He's a very good cook, so he could cook everything, cook very healthy, bring us up. We never had crap in the house, but he would sneak out every day and get Chinese takeaway or macas and then he'd cook a healthy dinner for everyone, but he'd never eat it because he wasn't hungry. And I just can't believe that he's decided to join the gym. He goes, have you seen the facility. It's amazing. Yeah, I'm gonna I'm joining the gym. He's never done a day of exercise in his life. Mum used to beg him on holidays to come sight seeing with us, but he didn't want to walk, so he barely he would barely go sightseeing. And it's just unbelievable what he's discovered now that it's his health and he wants to be there for the grandkids, so he walks twice a day from his new little unit down to the shops and back, and it's half an hour each way. He's walking over an hour a day. And he said to me when he first started doing it, oh, my hip was a bit sore and this and that, and I'm thinking, oh, yeah, you've probably got lots of join issues, lots of information. He goes, oh, but it's all better now that I've been walking. It's gone. All this pain at eighty two is gone, and he's a completely different human. I'm out own away.
Speaker 1: That is amazing. But I don't know if you should tell that story. The reason I don't know is you're kind of fucking undermining your earlier message.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, well there you go. No, but you can change with any stage. And I think that's a you think. And so I'm powering and how people feel is everything. And Dad is so freaking smart. He's like an owl if you see him, he's like a wise out. He knows everything there is to know about the process bood and he tells me about it all the time. So he's decided now he's not going to put that stuff in his body. He's done it his whole life. But now he's decided no, I'm not going to do it, and I don't well, I do know what the switch was. The switch was mum dying, but that I don't know how he took that message. We thought he'd wallowing, you know, he's pitying his sadness and just curl up and die, which often happens when people are being together that long and or you know, loneliness and all that sort of thing. But he didn't. He's gone the complete opposite.
Speaker 1: Oh, good for dad, Good for dad, And also, isn't it good? I love it when people start to educate themselves about like what does this do to my body?
Speaker 2: Yeah? What is that?
Speaker 1: If? I? Oh, what's you know? Like I've been teaching my mum and dad you know about Okay, so here's what happens if you have great sleep. Here's what happens if you have shit sleep, right, and you know where Obviously everyone knows sleep's important. But when you start to understand, oh, well, maybe I need a sleep strategy, maybe I need some kind of protocol because everything else in my life is pretty good except my sleep. Well, guess what if you eat well and you exercise well, and you've got pretty good genetics, and your lifestyle is healthy, but you're chronically underslept, You're not going to be healthy despite all the other stuff.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, So it's my first.
Speaker 1: Ye one hundred percent, and we need and it's not Look, we don't need to be extreme, but just like you want to plan with your food, you want to plan with your exercise some of us and like, probably the biggest challenge is it the big I would think collectively the biggest challenge that people have that I talk to is, Yes, food is an issue, exercises issue, motivation is an issue. I reckon. Nearly fifty percent of people I talk to though, say I don't sleep.
Speaker 2: Great, absolutely, and I hear that every day. And I know, you know, particularly for brain health, and I think the damage that can happen at any age by not sleeping. But if you've got kids that are not sleeping because they're on devices and the blue light and kids now having anxiety and depression and apparently fifty percent of depression is diagnosed under the age of fourteen. So this was Professor Police Jaka telling me this the other day, and I was like, fifty percent. So if you're going to get depression, fifty percent of people get it at such a young age. I was so surprised by that. But sleep plays a role in that as well, so food, exercise, sleep. And then on the other end of the spectrum with the older people, like dementia and memory loss and all of that excelerated by not having enough sleep. So god knows what happens in the middle. We're probably too busy to notice, but it's going to get us at some stage.
Speaker 1: And also you know, digestion and in crime system and you know, yeah, everything like brain health everything. I mean, there's such a myriad of variables and outcomes from that. But also back to kids and teenagers. You think, what is and I know we're not inventing the wheel here, this is not a new conversation, but the relationship between well, how long are your kids on their devices and what time do they go to bed in relation or what time do they try to go to sleep. Well, if you were playing with your your phone or your iPad or your computer or whatever until ten and then at ten oh two you're trying to sleep, good luck, because your brain is lit up like a fucking Christmas tree. You're not going to sleep. Yeah, your brain's in this hyper vigilant state that is, you know, and then the idea of all right, so you're going to go to bed at nine point thirty, no screens for worst an hour and a half, yeah, before bed, like and then they're like, but what would I do? Oh, I don't know, something other than look at a screen.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Absolutely, And I've noticed my ten year old she'll say, Mum, can we read a book before bed? Now hated reading? You know, maybe he's a little little kid loved having a book read to her. She still doesn't like reading. But for some reason, I don't know whether it's come from school or it's come from YouTube or something else. She knows that her brain's not going to shut down, she's not going to sleep if she's on her device before bed. And I noticed this week she's actually started journaling. And I said, what are you doing? She's like, oh, I got one of your notebooks. Can I use this someone to write a diary? And she started writing a diary, and I'm all, at a peek, I'm so curious what she's putting in there. And I'm like, even though that's a you know, a dear diary, that's journaling. And I'm like, there's so much young kids can teach us that we should be doing. So she reads a book and she journals, so she doesn't die at ten. And yeah, I don't know if that's intuitive. It's certainly not something that we've role modeled or told her or made her do, so maybe it is intuitive. If I don't know, I'm very surprised at the behavior because it's not something that we've directly intervened with.
Speaker 1: I love journaling. I love, you know, even with back in the day when I used to train a lot of people a different kind of journaling, but I got them to journal everything from sleep to food to exercise, sets, reps, mood, energy, drinks, coffee, tea, booze, micros, macros, And I know we have trackers for that now, but I love the manual, physical, tactile process of writing shit with my hand and a pen in a book. And then I can open the book and go what do I eat last Wednesday? What time do I go to bed, What time did I get up? How much water did I drink? How much coffee did I have? How much tea did I have? What time did I eat dinner? How was I feeling? Because when you get all this data down, all of a sudden patterns emerge and you go, ohhh. When I do this, it produces that outcome. I feel like this when I in like thirteen minutes before bed, I sleep like shit. My sleep quality is a four and ah right, and I just think and with that, you know, you can also put down you know, how do you feel? You motivated today? You demotivated today? I mean, even even me, like I'm fucking special, how arrogance? What I was about? Say husband, say even me, Puck and even Craig Harper who knew, but even me, I have shit days And I don't even know why I'm having a shit day now, Not like I want to, you know, fucking crack the sads to the world, but days where I feel flat or a little bit of low level anxiety or a little bit sad or.
Speaker 2: Human just a little bit here.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I'm like, ah, what, there's no fucking now. Of course there's a reason, but it's not apparent to me in the moment. But you know, to anyone who's listening who thinks, you know, I would really like to know how I work, as in you, how you work better? How about this? How about you commit to one hundred days of journaling, and not not seven days, not ten days, one hundred days of writing down all of those things that are going to impact you know, like mind stuff, brain stuff, energy stuff, physical stuff, productivity, efficiency outlook, you know, problem solving, resilience, all of those things, everything from sleep and food and exercise to you know, how many stimulants you're having, and how much like I just think it's a good project and process to learn about ourselves.
Speaker 2: You know, I couldn't agree more. I've kept a food record since I decided to be a dietitian or maybe a personal trainer, so many many decades actually, so I actually have never gone back and looked at them, but I have a whole box of them in the bottom of the cupboard in the office at home, and I literally just scribble down at the end of each day. So maybe that's what my kids think I'm journaling or something that they've role modeled. But I literally write down my food, my exercise, if I've taken any supplements, or i I've had alcohol, or what I've drunk, or where I've been in every country the world that I've ever traveled to. I've never ever missed a day, And why do I do it? I feel like I have an obligation to my clients because I used to make them do it every single day. Yeah, and if I was hands on practicing every day, I would do it with one hundred percent of people. I make my husband do it when he goes on a challenge. I'm like, write down your food. If you want to control what you eat, you need to hold it. It will change your behavior. You need to write it down because if you don't reflect on it, you can't change it. It's only in the reflexion that the mirrors held back up at you when you can see what you're doing. Like, the patterns are behaviors. So the act of just writing it down actually helps people change behaviors. We did a small clinical trial and the placebo was writing down your food. They lost point eight of a kilo in a week, and versus the other arm we put them on beef it food, they lost three point two kilos in a week. But the act of writing it down they have better behavior. Doesn't matter what they point they write it down three.
Speaker 1: Point two that's a fucking lot of weight.
Speaker 2: Yeah, But do you know the big thing is it was their blood sugar levels reduced by ninety percent below the line, which means that the people that they are all type two, they all had type two diabetes. And when they lost point eight of a kilo in week one by just eating their normal food, their blood sugar level stayed saying, which is all over the place. So we monitor them two hundred and eighty eight times a day, so every five minutes for seven days, and we charted it and their sugar levels changed a little bit, but ninety percent of theirs sugar levels were in the diabetic range, which is what you'd expect for a diabetic. When they went on beefit food for seven days, ninety percent of their blood sugar levels came back into the healthy, non diabetic range, which shows that if you eat well for seven days, you can put your diabetes into emission if you can find a way to sustain it. And that is my goal for beefit food is to be in prevention. I don't want to be in treatment. But the problem is sixty seven percent of people need treatment and are seeking treatment and a googling weight loss. They're not googling health prevention. They're not googling. I just want to be healthy. They're googling things, and you've got to feed that Google monster, that metaur Facebook, Instagram monster. You've got to be where they're looking. But for me, it's about health improvement, feeling good, role modeling, healther behavior. My kids eat the meals because they're no different to my lazagnia. If I give them the lazagna, it's whole meal lasagna. It's nothing special about it. It just has heaps of hidden veggies. You grade it in like it's like their babies, and they don't know it's there. It's lasagna.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's You know what is amazing how many people don't realize that you can go from being a type two diabetic, like with all the physiological issues that go with that too, as you said to kind of not being a dimission yeah, like well inter remission where yeah, and wow, that's interesting. That's your what.
Speaker 2: Bubbles up in your bloodstream over about twenty years. So people say, my blood sugar levels are fine. I don't think I'm I'm going to develop diabetes. Even though they may have been gaining weight every year for the last one to two decades. They don't feel themselves. They've got no energy, they've got triglys ride levels, fat levels in the blood going up, all these other things. But they go into a glucose or a HPA one C and the doctor says, oh, your glucose is normal. Well, guess what your insulin, your fat storage hormone is going through the roof to make it normal. So it's all a cover up. Your body is covering it up. And then one day you're going to go to the doctor and they go, guess what, You've got diabetes. You go, You've never even told me I was at risk. You've told me it's been perfect the last twenty years, even though I've eaten a you know, all the things I sort of know I haven't, and I know I've gained at least one kilo a year or half a kilo a year. But when you do that over twenty five years, it's not good for your body. You need to have these signs and symptoms to actually you know, have a rain check and you know, look at your behaviors. So insulin resistance is completely completely hidden. People are not looking for insulin resistance because they don't know how to do, because the doctors don't test for it. You've got to do a Homer index, and doctors will not do that. It's too hard, too expensive, takes too much time. So how do you know, Well, if you're slowly gaining weight over time, there's a very good chance you've got inchulin resistance. Forty percent of the population have it, and ninety percent of people that have insulin resistance will have what we call metabolic inflexibility, or where they're fuel that they eat, instead of going into their bloodstream for energy, goes straight into their fat stores, So they keep gaining weight every time they eat, even though they're not doing anything particularly wrong or eating particularly bad. They have insulin resistance, and the only way to correct it is to reverse things back the other way with all the healthy behaviors that we talk about consistently.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but it's not much fun though, it's.
Speaker 2: Not unless you, Yeah, what part of it's fun doing it with friends, working out with friends? You know what's fun without the cake? I don't know what's.
Speaker 1: Fun as the result the results.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's how you feel. The energy that you wake up with, the energy you go to bed with, the positivity, the mood during the day, and we know it's connected to moods, so yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah. How do people find you? Follow you, connect with you? And where can they actually get some beefit food?
Speaker 2: Go to the website for beefit Food or Chemists Warehouse there are biggest supporter at the moment, they are going to roll it out in all stores. We're in thirty Ish stores. They've got over five hundred and fifty in Australia, plus with their merger the other day with Sigma, we'll go into all their other stores and everything as well over time. But online, Chemists Warehouse and then all the little riches and IDAs are very supportive. You'll find a handful of meals in Woolies. Up until sort of mid this year, we were fighting the battle. But we were told the other day even the gluten free section said, even though it's gluten free, people aren't looking for healthy gluten free, they're just looking for you know, what's already there. And I'm like, oh, the old process crap in the healthy gluten free section, right, Okay, Well we don't fit there because we're too healthy, so.
Speaker 1: There be less healthy. That's the take home.
Speaker 2: Yeah Instagram Kate save yeah.
Speaker 1: Perfect, Sorry if it's up, always good to chat to you. So informative, so inspirational and so authentic and I love that about you and today getting a little bit fired up, which I love to see.
Speaker 2: Oh yeah, you bring it out in me, Craig. You find the little spot and it's like, you know, you just poke it and then it erupts.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that's my job. That's my job to poke the metaphoric bear. All right, say goodbye affair. But as always, Kate saved befit food. I eat beefit food. I'm not going to say all the time, but I've eaten a bunch of them. Everybody, really good, give it a go, Give it a go. And if you are struggling and they go, this is not a sales pitch. This is just truly what I think. You know that I don't promote anything that I don't believe in. In fact, I've turned back lots of money because people wanted me to promote shit that I thought was rubbish.
Speaker 2: Won't.
Speaker 1: But I genuinely think this is a great product. So at the very least, if you need to maybe think about trying to reverse a few things that need to be reversed, or change some habits and behaviors, or you need some structure and you need some kind of plan to move forward with your reading in a healthy way. Go check them out.
Speaker 2: Thanks Kate, thank you, and look forward to tuning in again.
Speaker 1: Perfect