Speaker 1: This is smallcy Surgery.
Speaker 2: The brand new Superman movie is out in cinemas everywhere tomorrow. Right now, let's catch up to the man, the creative genius behind the new Superman movie. He is also now the CEO of d the DC universe is famous for the Guardians of the Galaxy movies and the Suicide Squad. It is James Gunn. Let's welcome him to the show.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'm Breter, Director James Gunn. No matter what you do to me, Luthor, your plans a lot of work, rap it up. Good luck with that.
Speaker 2: Hello, CEO, mister James gun How Hello, how are you? Congratulations on just what an epic masterpiece?
Speaker 1: Oh? Thank you so much.
Speaker 2: How are you feeling? Because it's like Superman is like one of like the most beloved superhero characters of all time. Yeah, and to take and you know, there's a lot of responsibility that comes along with, you know, telling his story on the big screen.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean, listen, I think the responsibility is to myself first and foremost. I'm a huge Superman fan. I'm a fan of the of the character and all of the characters that surround Superman since I was a kid. So yeah, so definitely I felt that pressure when I took this on.
Speaker 2: Did you have your little pinch yourself moment though, on the first day on set when you may well maybe working towards it so you sort of started to see like the images and you could feel it coming along.
Speaker 1: I think, yes, I think it was. It was before the first day. It was the first day of shooting the screen tests and just seeing David start wearing the costume, you know, and you realize, oh my gosh, this is Superman. This is going to be Superman to many kids, as Christopher Reeve was Supervild to me, and that was that was wild because he looked like Superman.
Speaker 2: Now he'll think he's the star of the movie, you know, Rachel thinks she's a star, and Nicholas will think he's a star.
Speaker 1: But the dog is the real The dog is the star of the movie. There's no doubt that this is Crypto's movie. And and I'm happy that we get to bring this terrible, terrible dog.
Speaker 2: To the world. Are you you're a dog man? Right?
Speaker 1: I'm a dog I can do you know what I think?
Speaker 2: When you if you are if you are a dog man or a dog lady, you can see it.
Speaker 1: Do you have a dog, I have two dogs and a cat. Well, my dog is Cryptos. So I have a dog named Ozu, who I rescued from a He was in a hoarding situation a woman's backyard that was about twelve by twelve feet. There were sixty dogs. They were sleeping on top of each other. And I saw this one dog there that had an ear sticking up like a beacon, and I said, I want that funny one, and I rescued him. He wanted nothing to do with me or my wife had never known humans.
Speaker 2: So.
Speaker 1: He didn't want to be touched. And he was just destroyed my entire apartment. And I was like, well, thank god he doesn't have superpower.
Speaker 2: Absolutely. And then the other dog you have.
Speaker 1: Is a little puggle and her name is Lola and she's fifteen years old, but she's trucking along. Yeah.
Speaker 2: Does she sleep on the bad?
Speaker 1: They all sleep on the bait? I love that, you know what.
Speaker 2: I'm like, dogs live are too short not to sleep on the bed. Yeah, Cryptos sleep on the bad. Do you think if, like if if Superman had to, well, he does sleep, but you know, would would he share the bid?
Speaker 1: I think that Crypto would share the bed with whomever he chooses to shoot you, you know, share the bed with because he's got superpowers and who's going to kick him out of bed? This is true.
Speaker 2: How many cuts did you make when you're when you're putting it like on on, when you when you're putting it down and you're doing the final edit, there's a thousand.
Speaker 1: I mean it took.
Speaker 2: I mean like he's there, he's there, like a three hour version, then a sharpened two and a half hour.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, yeah, I mean I think the first cut, so first comes in the assembly, which is the editors just basically putting together all the pieces. And this is after I've been working on those separate pieces. So that was probably two forty five okay, and then the next one was you know, two and a half, and then we got it down to two fifteen, and then eventually it's a basically you know, the credits are nine minutes. It's it's basically the two hour mark.
Speaker 2: And do you do you get pressure from anyone or does who guards you? Is it you'r Do you sit there like in your lex luthorth's making your own decision or do you have a team of people around you that you like.
Speaker 1: I have a team of people who I trust, you know, who I listen to. You know. I have Fred Raskin, who's been my editor for a long time, who's worked as a consultant. I have my editors, you know, you know who worked on this movie. I have Peter Saffren. I have my wife Jen. So these are all people I show every cut to that you know, give me you know, notes, and I'm like, they know I want it. I want them to be honest, and sometimes they are. Sometimes they're brutally honest, but I know.
Speaker 2: That you have to be that honest. I mean, I know I wanted honesty.
Speaker 1: But not that honestly. No, No, I do want it because it's like I want to make the movie. I'd rather have them be you know, honest with me. Then then audiences are critics being honest with me down the line. Yeah, true, I like that.
Speaker 2: What about Easter eggs? And did you did you pepper any through?
Speaker 1: There's so many Easter eggs in this movie, it's crazy. So first of all, every street name in the entire movie is named after like a great comic book writer or artist, whether it's you know, Wade Street, after Mark or you know, Moore Street after Alan Moore, and then all the businesses, most of them are named after comic book you know, writers and artists. Frank quietly has his own electronics store obviously, and then and then also, I mean, I think the most fun Easter egg is really when you go into the the just the Hall of Justice, you know, which is actually what the it's it's the old train building in Cincinnati. It's actually what the Hall of Justice in the comics and the cartoons has been based upon. Okay, we actually shot there for the first time, so that in itself is an Easter egg. But inside in the actual train station, there's this mural that is of the history of Cincinnati, and we turned it into a mural of the history of meta humans in the DCU, and so we can see lots of uh, sort of famous characters.
Speaker 2: The obvious ones. Are there any other ones in there that you bury just for family and friends that if you know, you know, and if you don't, you don't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, the famous, the most the one that's in almost every movie is there's always a vehicle with the license plate PZM five six nine. That's an Eastrike. Just from my brother Patrick and me because that was our license plate when we were in high school. And every every single movie I have practically as a five six nine.
Speaker 2: Last question, real life kryptonot Do you have one for me? It's a movie snack like peanut M and m's or popcorn, camel popcorn.
Speaker 1: That's my Oh like things, you like things? I like it a bad form. I thought it was like something I don't like. I don't like heights. That's my crypto. I don't know what we're doing here. I don't either. I don't know. I walked in here and I'm like, why am I here? But but my kryptonite is Cashew's. Like if you talk about what I can't stop eating, Yeah, I call them trigger foods, cashews, barbecue potato chips. Oh those are those are my father?
Speaker 2: You are a man out of my hot congradulations on the film.
Speaker 1: Thank you so much. Thank you. You're listening to the Smallsy Surgery podcast here.
Speaker 2: More from Smallsy Live weeknights from eight only on Nova