Speaker 1: Go I teams, It's Tiff and Patrick Craig, Anthony Harper, It's the Bloody Tech, It's the Tech Show. It's typ Tech Version X episode I don't know one hundred and seven with Patrick, probably not but a lot. And they were just banging on using all the good stuff before we went live, so I pulled them up. TIF, what was that photograph that our listeners can't see that you were just showing Patrick and I can you describe it please?
Speaker 2: It's a fancy new u butte water filtering system. It filters out chlorine and fluorine and bacteria and lead and heavy metals, all of the bad stuff, and then I pour it from there into my fancy hydrogen water bottle. Press the button light's at blue, pumps hydrogen in there. It's like magic.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: Do I look twenty two today? Just saying?
Speaker 1: What does that saying?
Speaker 2: Do I look twenty two today? Just saying I've had a leader of it already.
Speaker 1: I don't know that there's a correlation between that and how old you look, because you always look about twenty years younger than you are, which is fucking annoying because I look twenty years older than I am.
Speaker 4: You thought of getting on the tent.
Speaker 5: Pardon I wonder if tip have you thought of getting an oxygen tent?
Speaker 3: I'd like to get a hyperbaric chamber. I'm just not a millionaire yet.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're about that. That's a lazy eighty grand Yes, you're not getting those at fucking Audi in the Middle Aisle, that's for sure.
Speaker 5: I found a turntable recently online that it costs three hundred and seventy thousand dollars crago.
Speaker 1: Wow, wow that is that'd want to be really good? I would not. I would not want to put my ten dollar LPs on that. What is it? Like a gold turntable?
Speaker 4: And it looks amazing.
Speaker 5: It's quite large, and it's basically earthquake proof.
Speaker 4: It has these counterbalances.
Speaker 5: It uses a mag lev system so magnetically levitates the record so that there is no contact with the drive mechanism it so it is the nerdiest coolest thing ever.
Speaker 1: Did I just talk to the audience, Hey everyone, wake up, wake up, fucking hell.
Speaker 4: Levitation? Sorry, Wow, we're getting that? Was that?
Speaker 1: Was that?
Speaker 4: The dig the mag liv thing? People? Is you not mag live? If you know what mag liv means, don't you?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: I'm glad we didn't bet on this because I keep losing bets to you.
Speaker 1: Well, you keep assuming that people think like you. I've told you what that's called. It's called the false consensus effect. People don't You've got to operate on the assumption that people aren't like you, Patrick, So then then you can build connection the old Magnev system, Lev exactly. I rest my case. I rest my case. Before we went live, you were talking Patrick, which is I only got a little bit to do with tech. But I thought it was interesting about the old Wii game console. You had an interesting story.
Speaker 5: We for a we so I had a week console. They were great, but an interesting name. When it first got released in an American radio station did a promotion Wii for a Wii, and the contestants just basically had to keep drinking water, and then the last person standing, so to speak, who hadn't been to the bathroom won the Wii console. Well, nurse called up on the chat line and said, you do realize that it's really dangerous to not wei. And someone actually died like one of the contestants who wanted the Wii and hadn't ended up.
Speaker 4: It is awful.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it seems to me when your body screaming an instruction at you, that I mean it's in your interest to pay attention.
Speaker 4: Do you know what?
Speaker 1: There's another interesting thing with drinking too much water. It's called hypernatremia. Oh so when you drink and in fact, some athletes get it, some tennis players have gotten it. So when you are sweating a lot, but your body can only absorb so much water and it can only hydrate the cells at a certain rate. But also when you drink a lot of water, you lower the sodium concentration in your blood, which is called hypernatremia. And one of the results of that is that, yeah, is also that you can die. Basically, your cells becomes swollen and your body can't get rid of the water, not even through we Yeah, so take home messages, don't drink too much water. Yes, tif you've got your finger in the air.
Speaker 2: Yes, because hypenetremia when I google it says is having too much sodium in the blood. Maybe it's hype natremia, Maybe it's something I know.
Speaker 1: Hyponatremia is when the concentration of sodium in your blood is very low.
Speaker 2: Sorry, isn't that what Having too much water gives you no sodium, doesn't it flashes out pisodium.
Speaker 1: Okay, you're thinking hyper not hypo hYP o. I've literally got in front of me. Because when the concentration of sodium in your blood is abnormally low, there's something for everyone to google. We'll cut that bit out of the show because Patrick, We've got that was possibly worse than Patrick's three hundred and seventy thousand dollars turntable.
Speaker 2: Sorry to do some learning here. I don't want to drink too much of my new filtered water.
Speaker 1: Also, the other thing about you know that there's quite a lot of let's just say, chat about the impact of fluoride which you're filtering out of your water. There's quite a there's quite a bit of evidence, or we'll say alleged evidence around the fact that fluoride fucks with cognition. Like there's there's been a you know, like some people think essentially that fluoride makes you dumber, that fucks with your brain capacity.
Speaker 4: Will my dentist was smearing it over my.
Speaker 6: Teeth about two hours ago. Ok ad deal and fluoride as well. Come on, shout out to the Patrick's dentist. I'm sorry everyone.
Speaker 1: I tried. You know what. Before I got on today, I was thinking to myself, don't be a fuck with today, just like Patrick, let him.
Speaker 4: Be the fuck with. Yeah.
Speaker 1: Yeah, If it's not you or me, it's going to be the other one. Twenty two forty one year old with a twenty two year old head that has the electric bottle. She turns up at the gym with this bottle of water with a light in the bottom of it, so the water lights up blue. I don't know what that's about.
Speaker 5: Well, my water bottle glows at the bottom, but it's a running bow to remind me to drink.
Speaker 1: IoT. Just in case you forget you're gay. You just glimpse at your water bottle.
Speaker 5: It's you know, I don't see because this devolved from our original discussion and I don't know whether we were recording or going live at the time. We were talking about the toothbrush that I will never live down, and so I wanted to.
Speaker 1: Upsell I'm not buying it.
Speaker 4: We got to tell that.
Speaker 1: We've got to tell our audience about the toothbrush. You can't just not mention it but not fill them in.
Speaker 5: It was a sonic toothbrush that looked like a mouthguard that promised to clean your upper and bottomed rows of teeth in thirty seconds. And I convinced Tift. I didn't convince Tift to buy it. I bought some and they were on the way and then Tiff I, unbeknownst to me, went out and bought one.
Speaker 4: And then I think I still have money.
Speaker 1: How much did you pay for the sonic toothbrush? Tift?
Speaker 3: About sixty bucks or something.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's not it's.
Speaker 1: Not a small investment. You guys should try and fucking as Mary Harper would say, elbow grease and a toothbrush.
Speaker 5: You know what the best of the arsenal in my bathroom for keep cleaning my teeth is.
Speaker 1: I'm glad you finished that sentence. When you started, I was worried.
Speaker 5: It squirts jets of water through a little nozzle and you can squirt, so it's like a jet replacement or water floss, so it's called jet floss.
Speaker 4: Basically, you use this.
Speaker 5: It looks like a toothbrush, but electric toothbrush, but it's got a little tiny nozzle at the end and it squirts water, so you basically issue it in between the gaps in your teeth.
Speaker 4: Hit the button, it squirts jets of.
Speaker 5: Water between your teeth. So it's this is really boring the show, isn't it?
Speaker 1: It is, really it is. Can I just just continuing the boredom before we get into the tech. I was watching a young lady the other day popped up on my It sounds bad too, doesn't it. Okay, I was a real and it was this young lady and she was from some Scandinavian country that I can't remember, so I apologize. But she was talking about how disgusting it was for people to wipe their ass with toilet paper, right, And she said, you know, in this thick accent that I won't impersonate where we're from, they either have what do you call it a bid a or she held this Basically, it's like a little hose with a nozzly thing and we just use this to, you know, take care of business. Right, And she said, imagine, she said, And I know for some of you that's weird, she said, but could you imagine if you had no clothes on and you fell face first in a pile of shit like that's what she said? She said, would you get up and wipe yourself down with a piece of paper and then carry on. But I'm like, that's a good point. That's fucking disgusting. So yeah, well we all know. I don't think I've ever shared my pooing habits on them.
Speaker 4: Ease wet wipes, don't you?
Speaker 1: No, no, no, no no. Every time I have a pool, I have a shower every time by poo three times a day, three showers. I can't. I can't do it. I can't. It's it's disgusting. It must But anyone ever fucking sees that neither do I want them too? But oh, there's so many doors I could open at the moment, But look at me, being a grown up, I'm not you know, can I I have one shower, obviously the obligatory, but anything anything above one, pooh, requires an additional shower. You're welcome.
Speaker 4: Why don't you just buy it the day?
Speaker 1: Yeah, well I should. I just don't think I have the space.
Speaker 4: Okay, what about when of those high powered water pistols.
Speaker 3: Well Patrick's toothbrush squeach water.
Speaker 1: I'm just gonna have to ring you to pop over every time with your water pistol. Every time I back one out that's no one wants that. It's Hi Patrick's Mobile Bidet service, Patrick speaking. There's it, there's it. There's an industry that really does need to take off. All right, I know, let's talk about technology, please please please.
Speaker 4: Talk about oh help spoil it abots.
Speaker 1: Do you know there's a sick minority of our audience, a sick, depraved minority that actually hate it when we get to the tech stuff. And to you, sick fox, what is wrong with you? What is wrong with you?
Speaker 4: To all our listeners, thank you for listening. If you're still with it?
Speaker 1: Oh my goodness. All right, do we want to start with the Arizona toddler who got rescued after getting trapped in a Tesla with a dead battery.
Speaker 4: Yeah, this is scary, isn't it.
Speaker 5: So what happens is, evidently if a Tesla battery goes flat, the car just is in lockmode and you can't get into it. I mean I would have just got a crowbar personally if I am a mild all my dog in the car. But yeah, the story is that there was a twenty month old child rescued trapped to a Tesla model in Arizona. So and it gets pretty damn hot in Arizona, probably not dis similar to say, somewhere like Alice Springs.
Speaker 4: And they did.
Speaker 5: Obviously get into the car. They firefighters used an axe to smash through the window. But yeah, evidently what had happened was she'd the owner of the vehicle was the grandmother of the child, and so she'd basically put the kid in the in the car, and then when she went to open the door again, she couldn't get back in, so it had already been probably hadn't been fully charged, and she Yeah, she had the child in there and worry.
Speaker 1: I've never thought of that, but that, I mean, that's it's surprising we haven't heard more stories of that because I guess if the battery's dead then nothing works obviously.
Speaker 5: Yeah, Craig, can I can I tell the story about you when you were fifteen and you went to Melbourne for the first time by yourself. So Tiff, he was went to the meya you know, the Meyer building, and he was on the.
Speaker 1: Notice he'd noticed. He didn't wait for my conceit because I'm pretty sure this is not a real story, but.
Speaker 5: Okay, and the listeners, so he'd, you know, his fresh faced kid from you know, Upper come Buck the West and he'd never been to the city by himself before, and the escalator stopped halfway.
Speaker 4: He was trapped there for four hours. Fucking hell.
Speaker 1: That was a waste of time, wasn't it. That's uh yeah, I didn't know what to do. I was perplexed. I'm like, what is this thing? If you're going to if you're going to say something at my expense, be funnier.
Speaker 5: All right, all right, So okay, model, Why Tesla kid window has to get smashed to get the kid out?
Speaker 4: That's an interesting one though.
Speaker 5: The Other thing is that Tesla's kind of this a bit of a warning going out because this is a cool idea, but only if it works. Because they have a thing called dog Mode in Tesla, and what it means is you can leave your pet in the car and the car.
Speaker 4: Will self cool itself while you're away.
Speaker 5: And it makes sense because it's electric, it's not a petrol driven care don't to leave it on. But evidently it then sent a warning. One guy was using this and it's sent a warning to his phone to say dog mode wasn't working. Get back to the car and the dog in it was okay, just just to reassure you, Tiff the dog.
Speaker 4: Was okay in the end.
Speaker 5: But yeah, so it's yeah, it sounds like Tesla's having a few little issues at the moment with things like that.
Speaker 4: So I guess it's.
Speaker 5: I mean, I know you're not a fan of electric and we're not going to get onto this bandwagon again, but I was going to There was another story that I read on the ABC ABC Australia and it made it was actually not an angle that I'd thought of before. And we talk about self driving cars and of course Tesla has this co pilot mode that's a lot more advanced than a lot of other cars. And there's a guy in Queensland who is paralyzed. He's actually quadriplegic, and it means that he can drive because of the self driving capabilities. So it's limited at moments because we're limited in Australia as to what we can do. But it's that amazing that that it's great liberating people who you know, who suffer from whatever happens to be in this case quadriplegia. It's like, oh, if you're paralyzed, this would be so freeing for them to be able to travel and be able to be independent. So for me that I just think that's the most amazing and lovely story about this guy who yeah, potentially could be a lot more freer from that and testimonel why By the way, incidentally, Crago has just overtaken Toyota Corolla is the world's best selling car.
Speaker 1: Yeah it's good, I mean, but what is happening right now? Is in Melbourne anyway, there's like two or three thousand Teslas on the dock. I think we spoke about that, but that you know, but Patrick in Breaking Car News, I wasn't. I didn't even think about this. I don't like talking about my shit too much. But is very realm and you're going to be very proud of me. I bought a new car. What and it's a hybrid?
Speaker 4: Oh no way, I've got a hybrid. So what did you get? Come on, spill the beans. I'm pretty sure.
Speaker 1: So do I done that? Say what I got? But let's just say it's it's good, good, right, it's a hybrid. Yep, I'll say what it is. It doesn't it's not, it's not fancy, it's well, it's it's mildly but it's not it's the it's a brand new model, so it's new shape. So google this Hyundai Santa Fe calligraphy. So, and I just watched.
Speaker 5: A book it in me on you could name. Why would you associate calligraphy with a car?
Speaker 1: I don't know.
Speaker 4: Dumb name, that's all right.
Speaker 1: Dumb name. Anyway. I watched because I'm always watching car reviews, and I saw this. I didn't know how much it was. I thought this must cost a fucking fortune, and it's costs. It's not such a bloody tank. It looks like it's it got a turret on top. Hey, it kind of looks like a rain driver, doesn't it it does.
Speaker 5: I could mistake that for one of the new range rovers. They've like someone that's i mean, pretty cool looking. If you're into big square tanks, yeah.
Speaker 1: Hey, fucking hell, you're hurtful anyway anyway, So I but here's what you're going to love. So my little, my little high performance Suzuki Swift gets about five hundred k's to a tank that gets about eleven hundred. Yeah, eleven twelve hundred. So I watched a review. A guy drove to Sydney from Melbourne and he still had like three or four hundred k's of travel left in the you know how it has distance to empty. Yeah, anyway, so I thought you'd be proud of me. I've joined the yeah, the hybrid ranks. I don't know whether or not I'm going to like it, but I think I will have.
Speaker 4: You picked You've picked it up.
Speaker 1: I get it on believe it or not, I get it. Sunday we're recording. There's twelve twenty on Friday.
Speaker 4: Yeah. Wow, weird day to get it.
Speaker 1: It's just how it works out.
Speaker 5: Tell me you're getting that bronze colored metallicke one.
Speaker 1: I am. That is the color getting awesome.
Speaker 4: It looks so good. I can't wait to get up there.
Speaker 5: Oh, you'll have it by I'm coming down your way on the sixth of July, so we can.
Speaker 1: Let's go. Let's let's go, let's go for drive.
Speaker 4: It's got a lot of room in the back.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, that's I'm thinking of having a family, So I mean that's my that's the motive.
Speaker 4: You gadgets and controls and stuff.
Speaker 1: Well, that's why you need to come down because I'm a fucking idiot, like I'm not going to be able to But here's one thing, and I'll stop talking about it. So if you drive into say you nose into a wall in a car park, as in your front end and there's cars all around you and beside you, it backs itself out before you get in.
Speaker 5: Because you were talking about backing something out earlier, weren't you?
Speaker 1: I was. I was ergo showered down. We'll see how the rest of the day goes. All right. Moving on, let's talk about after life and AI if that's possible, or wherever you want to go.
Speaker 5: I just say one thing I really like about the carts. I'm looking at the interior. Now, yes, it's got knobs.
Speaker 1: It does have knobs. And can I say, in the second row, so there's a sixth seater and a seventh seater, I've got the sixth seed. In the sixth seed. The second row is like Captain's chairs, you know, with the individual freestanding chair like in business class. It's pretty cool.
Speaker 4: Oh, I'm impressed. I'm really excited to check it out. That's great.
Speaker 1: I won't drive it anywhere, but it'll sit in the garage for five years and i'll sell it half the price, as is my way.
Speaker 5: As you do, as you do, did you just say eternal life or something or what were you just after life?
Speaker 1: Eternal? You review? This is what I've got on my notes that you send me that I you know, I pair of fact? Can I say? Everyone? We roll at midday? Patrick sends me notes at seven minutes to midday? How am I possibly meant to prepare?
Speaker 5: Look, I was busy today. I had to go to the dentist. That's where the whole oral thing came up. But so I got back and I just rushed together all these notes for you.
Speaker 4: There's no appreciation, No there is.
Speaker 1: Hey, I had a dream last night. Can I tell you about it?
Speaker 5: Might as well we're not talking about I had.
Speaker 1: A dream that I was I was tossing and turning. I dreamt that I was a tent. It was a tent. No, no, no, I fucked it up. I fucked it up. I dreamt that I was a wigwam. And then I finally got back to sleep, and I dreamt that I was a TP. So I went to my shrink this morning and I told her, and she said, you're too tents. There's my dad joke for that's my dad joke for the that's better than your fucking escalated.
Speaker 6: Joke, No way and Dad, which which wins the escalated joke or the two tenths?
Speaker 3: They're both just swooning at the bottom of the pool.
Speaker 4: Patrick Taker, Oh wow, Now I'm just look.
Speaker 5: I've had people close to me pass away, and one of the craziest, freakiest things that ever happened to me was a very close friend who had been a mentor for thirty years passed away. In about a week later, I was walking through town here in Milan and a guy got out of the car and he was a doppel ganger for the friend of mine who passed away, And I stopped mid step and took a deep breath. That was so shocking to think that he was there. I mean, I know everything about you know, what was going through my head. Knew that this that this friend of mine had died, and it was an awful you know, it was a while earlier and I've just been to the funeral. But what about creating a digital avatar of a person. So there are a lot more people who are using what they call AI grief bots who have lost someone they loved. They upload conversations, details of the person, and then the AI is able to have a conversation with them, effectively using a similar personality and drawing on that information of the person who's passed away. To me, it feels really unsettling, kind of creepy and weird.
Speaker 4: But there are people.
Speaker 5: Out there who are saying that this is really helpful in kind of getting over the grief of a loved one.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, So here's what I think from a psych point of view, I think I think really just depends on the person. Right now, this is going to sound crazy. If you had asked me that a year ago, I would have gone, that's fucking creepy. Get rid of that shit. I think I think it just depends on what is the result, Like does does this person like I think they know, Like especially if we're using that person's voice, Like if it's like, you know, it's like one of my friends. I don't want to give too much away, but her husband passed away and she will not throw any of his stuff out right, she knows he's not around, but she loves wearing his jumpers, she loves fucking like holding a bit of his stuff, Like she knows, but it's it's like that is part or that was part of him. Just like somebody's voice is you know that that Like literally, if somebody loves that you love talks to you, that can change a biochemistry, Just like of somebody that you're scared of or terrified of talks to you, that can change your biochemistry. So I reckon it depends which lens you look through it. I mean, I think we over with some things. We get on our moral high horse and go, oh that's this or that's that. I'm like, what the fuck does it matter? If for that person it gives them some comfort, then I don't think it's a bad thing. I mean, if they're deluded and they think they're really communicating with somebody that isn't around anymore, that's maybe, you know, maybe not so great. But like I pretty much talk to chat GPA, like I said to you as though it's real. I mean, I know it's not, but I'm I'm like, could you just help me with or could you answer? Or what do you you know? No, Dad? And I say thanks all the time, And I know it's stupid and I know it's not a human but I don't care.
Speaker 5: Look, I think when we lose a love w quite often for a lot of us, it might be a case of going through the old photo album, having a look, reminiscing and there's a sense of comfort when we reminisce about the person's life and reassurance to a degree. So I guess this is the next evolution of that. And I'm with you on that one, Craig. If somebody is using that as a way to soften the blow by interacting and it helps them, then yeah, it kind of makes sense. There was a Canadian writer by the name of Joshua Barbara and he had his girlfriend passed away suddenly, and so he uploaded a whole lot of information to an appicle project December.
Speaker 4: So text messages a whole lot of stuff.
Speaker 5: And so when he was then having a dialogue with this AI, it was messaging in her style. Now he says, the results are uncanny. You know, the first conversations with the simulated Jessica person is what her name was, Jessica. He said, he went on like all night, he was just messaging and messaging, and.
Speaker 4: He said it really helped.
Speaker 5: And What the Eternal You is a documentary that's just coming out now and it talks about grief, bots and death and downloading and the digital afterlife, and so it kind of focuses on that in people's experiences with as early adopters of this sort of honology.
Speaker 1: I was listening to an episode of there's a show called SmartLess. Have you heard of that? Tiff Or Patrick? So Jason Bateman, you know who? Jason Bateman is, the actor fucking loved him Ozark and a bunch of other great movies and TV shows. A guy called Wilner Arnett and a guy called Sean Hayes. Anyway, they were interviewing Jeremy Renner. You know who he is, the guy from Mission Impossible, from the hurt Locker from you'd know him if you saw him. What else has he been? A bunch of shit that's escaping my mind? But what is it? All the Born movies? He was in the Bourne stuff. Anyway, He got run over by a snowplow about a year ago and it broke something like thirty eight bones in his body and he was fucked. They just they told his family he was going to die and he they you know, he was in he was on life support all that. Anyway, he's a famous Hollywood actor, Jeremy Ranner. Anyway, He's now okay, you know, he's got a few injuries and stuff, but he's okay. And he was on these guys show and they were talking and I just loved and he's really down to earth and he's practical and he and so many people say this where he like he basically knew that he was hovering at death's door and he said it was awesome. He said it was just bliss, you know, And he spoke about he spoke about how he now has absolutely zero fear of death. I'm thinking it's not a bad thing. How many people are scared of dying? I would say most people?
Speaker 6: Right.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Anyway, not that I necessarily want to steer people away from this show, but it's not a bad podcast if you want to have a lesson. It's got a smartness and it's got Jeremy Renna. But that whole, you know, that whole kind of that space between life and death. You know, it's kind of something that we don't know. So there's so much theory and conjecture and you know, theology and philosophy and ideas around it. But yeah, it's an interesting door to open.
Speaker 5: And you know, if you were in that situation where potentially you were given you a time period that you were left to live, you know, six months to live for whatever reason. A lot of these digital aughter life industries now that there are apps out there where you can record messages to your loved ones. So we're respectively, is you generate a virtual you with messages and then they can upload post social media posts, emails, text messages, voice recordings, and they will be able to create a full digital persona. And you know, I'd like to think that I'd be missed and you know, if that brings comfort to people, and also if you could leave messages for them, if you could, you know, put a little bit of your personality into that avatar, you know the dad jokes.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, I'll be splitting people's sides when I'm dead.
Speaker 4: Yeah, there you go. So, oh, I got to know I think I do. What about you, Tiff? Do you could you see yourself uploading yourself to a digital.
Speaker 5: Avatar so that you've got, you know, a digital version of you left your loved ones.
Speaker 3: I need to may hundreds of conversations. People can tune.
Speaker 5: Into time, but yeah, but they can't talk to you directly.
Speaker 4: So what this do?
Speaker 5: This would be me talking Tiff and having a full on conversation talking about my day and you saying, oh, mate, you know you need to get in the ring and practice a bit more. You know you haven't exercised much. You don't reckon you could do that.
Speaker 2: Undecided about it when you first mentioned it, I thought of one of my friends and clients I had on my show twice and when he had cancer and he passed away. And when I had Mark on Mark Seymour in our most recent episode and I listened to the recording, I realized that he sounded like Chris and I said to him, you sound just like Chris on the microphone when you're just talking to me. I don't hear it in real life. And it was really It made me want to listen to him. But that's different to associating and having a conversation or constructing something. So it's interesting, isn't it.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And the other thing too, is that as AI gets cleverer, there's a thought that AI will be able to read your emotions, So your digital version and I could be having a conversation, but you could pick up on the fact that I'm feeling a little bit down, and then the conversation you would be prompting new dialogue based on what I feel like, you know, or if I'm in a really bubbly mood, it might be, oh, what did you do today? You're looking really happy, you know that sort of stuff. So yeah, it's funny, I think for a lot of people, whether you're socially isolated for whatever reason. You know, we I've got a dog sitting on my lap because Fritz was pouring at my leg, so I muted my microphone and put him on my lap because he just wanted to sit on my lap. But there's a lovely kind of tactile aspect to having a pet, as you know, so you know, obviously it's reassuring for him and for me because I was out all morning, so he just wants to be closer. I mean, it's nice. So I can get if you had a digital version of a in whatever sense.
Speaker 1: Yep, Grego, I'm positive, absolutely positive. I have zero doubt that people will have, for want of a better term, relationships with AI now. And if that's just you know, something that sits on the kitchen bench that they can chat with, and eventually it's so good that it's pretty much indistinguishable from chatting with another human And I think for people that, like we've spoken about this a lot broadly on the show, not so much in these episodes, Patrick, but you know, people who really are lonely, who are socially isolated, who are disconnected, unplugged. They don't feel like they belong, they're not part of a group. People don't ring them up to check on them. People don't knock on the door. People aren't interested in how they're going. And there's a lot of people in that category. Sadly, if these people can have a conversation in inverted commas interaction connection with something that sounds and you know, it's almost like they're on the phone with someone, I'm all for it. I'm all for it if it makes them better. What's the downside? Like, you know, they're well aware that it's just a you know, a bit of tech sitting on the bench. But and pursuant to that, I don't think I told you this. The other day. I must have been doing something on chat GPT and a while later I was in the bathroom. I went in to have a shower. It wasn't a post poo shower, It's just a regular shower. You welcome everyone. Too much info? Let me know. Just email Patrick at one eight hundred Big Boy. Anyway, So I'm in the bathroom. I'm just I think I was about to have a shave, and my phone goes chat gupetigoes Craig, are you okay? You sounded a little upset. Is there anything I can help you with? I'm like, what the fuck? Oh? I'm like no, I'm good, okay, just checking in. It says like maybe that that not the exact words, but it was sitting on the and it just goes, Craig, is everything okay? You seem a little upset? Can I help with anything? And I'm like, oh my god, this is We're becoming friends. I'm like, no, look, thanks for checking in. Yeah. Now, I don't know what prompted that, but I hadn't had chat GPD open for an hour or so and I wasn't you know, I wasn't on my phone. I wasn't near my phone. It was on the bench. What do you think of that? Tip?
Speaker 3: Wow?
Speaker 1: Fucking now I know. But anyway, hey, Patrick, tell us about that. Speaking of technology, there's an anti technology push, like the say No to Technology movement or whatever.
Speaker 5: Yeah, look, The focus of an article I was recently reading was with gen Z's So jen Z is I think people born from is it nineteen a to the early two thousand and Look, people are finding that social connection in real life, so they may use Facebook to start a running club and then physically getting together with them. And this is kind of post pandemic as well too, because I think for a lot of us, you know that it was a really conflicting time where a lot of people felt isolated and some people struggled to get back on their feet. I know, for me, I'm okay now, but it took me over a year to be able to go to a crowded shopping center. The idea of going to a shopping center and having people all around me freaked me out. I mean, I know, I live in a countrytown and I don't go to shopping centers very often, you know, the big kind of you know, big ass talking, you know, lots of shops and things. So I guess, when you think about it in those terms, if you can make a conscious decision to put the phone down, so people are now set, you know, starting running clubs, so they just meet up, just go go for a run. I like the Silent book Club because I'm a member of a book club. But in the silent book club, people get together. They get together in a room, but they bring their own books and they just sit and read silently. Some might have a chat about what they're reading. But the idea being is it's what you would normally consider to be a solitary thing to do, to read a book, but you're doing it with a group of people, which kind of makes a lot of sense.
Speaker 1: Does it? How I don't know, I don't get it. So you go, let's all meet up and not talk.
Speaker 4: Yeah, yeah, that'd be great that with you. I'd like your company.
Speaker 1: But oh, back in the therapy for Jumbo hello doctor. Yeah.
Speaker 5: Just well, I mean I've got Fritz with me. I mean I do talk to him. He doesn't talk back. But no, I can see that. Can you see that tip? A group of people getting together just to spend time being the same room, not necessarily having a massive but just having that social.
Speaker 1: But you said you said no dialogue.
Speaker 5: Yeah, no, no, you might talk about the book, but some people are happy just to sit there and read in amongst the group of people, So, you know, quiet time for some. But just having the company of other people, physically having people around them.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: I think of when I go to the meditation classes and there's a lot of talking there, but I would go even if it was just walk in, sit down, meditate, shut up, and go. It's a very different experience to trying to do it by myself with a prompt with an app or something, because there's just there's that intention in the room.
Speaker 5: I think what I like about this story is that it's about a real focus on extracting yourself from technology. You know, people go to groups and I'm involved with our local neighborhood center because I teach through them, but I'm also on the board of the neighborhood Center and we're always looking for ways to engage people of all age groups because you know, at the end of the day, that social connectedness is so important, and I think that, you know, the more we can extricate ourselves away from that, because you know, the doom scrolling is a real thing. You know, when we talk about doom scrolling, it's the getting onto your Facebook feed or whatever feeds you're on and just constantly scrolling and then you realize forty five minutes or an hour is gone, and I think I've been victim to that. I've absolutely been a victim of doom scrolling, haven't you.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'm shit, I'm not as bad as but I can get on Instagram and look up and it's ninety minutes because there's so much fucking fascinating shit on there. Like, I know there's a lot of junk, but you know when you look at like science stuff, or you look at whatever, motorbike, whatever you're into, right, so it keeps bringing up shit. Obviously that's the algorithm, and I'm just the dumb fuck on the end of the algorithm that it's totally exploiting. I'm like, yeah, yeah, I can just watch shit that's like, how did they build the fucking pyramids? And it's two hours?
Speaker 4: Yeah, you could set a timer.
Speaker 5: You could just say, right, I'm going to set a timer for fifteen minutes and allocate fifteen minutes to doom a doom scrolling?
Speaker 4: What about that?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah, yeah, good in theory. But you're right, I'm I'm I put it up. I put up my hand. I'm I'm not the worst, but I definitely for somebody who allegedly should be better at this shit, Patrick, what is what is pebbling? And why are teens? What is pebbling and why are teens doing it?
Speaker 5: See this is yeah, Well, that connectedness of technology and being isolated from people around you is a real thing. So there's a couple of terms that I wanted to kind of educate us on because I didn't know about them myselves myself. So pebbling originally was a term where I think it's penguins will pick up a pebble and gift it to another penguin if they rub it on their belly, and so it's actually a proper term and it was generally used in terms of romantic connection from something, but now they're using pebbling in a more generic sense.
Speaker 4: And what they're saying is because kids can.
Speaker 5: Be a bit aloof But the way that pebbling works is when you send out a love heart emoji, or you send a funny gear for or a meme to somebody, and that is that's pebbling. So it's kind of as I said, it's not necessarily romantic. It just is about connectedness and just letting the person know that you're thinking about them, and it does create a nice warm feeling when someone does do that. I've got a really lovely friend who lives into state who sends a lot of memes and I always get a bit of a chuckle, but you really get a nice feeling from it as well. So it seems that this is a way that teenagers now are showing forms of affection without coming out and saying that to their power, because it's the teenagers to say, to talk to their parents and to express themselves in some ways, and so it seems like pebbling is a way that they're doing that.
Speaker 1: Now here, I'm pebbling you right now.
Speaker 4: Oh isn't that great?
Speaker 1: Yeah? I just I just made it. I made a heart with my fingers. Everybody. Well, the next term looks sad. It is, and it is that fucking makes me feel sad. Just just the word sad. Fishing, Yes, that sounds depressing. What is that again?
Speaker 5: Another one that's common with teenagers is and this is where it's a bit misleading. So what they'll do is they'll get on too social media and they'll post something that has supposedly made them sad to get a whole lot of sympathy and inevidently that's yeah, yeah, yeah, So a journalist by the name of Rebecca Reid. She coined the term back in twenty nineteen because there was an Instagram post by a Kendall gener put this post out and she was talking about a debilitating struggle with acne, and it ended up she was actually she was promoting a skincare company, so she was a social media influencer, and so she was using this whole idea of sad fishing. So I'm sad and I'm fishing for compliments or I'm fishing for sympathy. So yeah, it's kind of a bit of a thing, and sad fishing amongst teenagers is on the rise. So I guess it's about social acceptedness, but not just peer connectedness, but also just trying to get that bit of sympathy as well. Ah.
Speaker 1: I think it's like people wanting attention or validation or you know, and sometimes I understand it sometimes. Do you know who Kendall Jenner is? No, Kitlyn Jenner's daughter. Oh, okay, the previous Bruce Jenner.
Speaker 5: So yeah, do you know who Caitlyn Jenner is? I guess no, another the name.
Speaker 1: So Bruce Jenner was a famous, world famous Olympic decathlete, and he transitioned. He transitioned. Now he's a Capelin Jenna. Yeah, and that's his that's well, that's the Kardashians. Yep, she's one of the That's right, isn't it, Tiff? I'm not fucking this up, am I?
Speaker 4: Oh?
Speaker 3: Look I don't really, I'm not really all over and all.
Speaker 1: I listened to old fuck with the wrong place of that exactly much attention. Fuck all that tell us about smart binoculars. That's much more interesting.
Speaker 4: How cool is this? I love gadgets. I mean, I so love gadgets.
Speaker 5: So there's some smart binoculars that now use augmented reality. So we and this is in sci fi. I've seen you've seen this stuff Star Wars and you know and all that sort of thing. We put the binoculars on. And what they've developed is this amazing set of binoculars that has three different modes of daytime mode, night sky mode, and man made points of interest. So what you can do is when you're using the binoculars, it will tell you what you're looking at or for example, so if you're looking at the night sky, it will point out the International Space Station, the James Webbs you know telescope, it will it will tell.
Speaker 4: You the stars.
Speaker 5: You can explore the nebulas and stars, and it will overlay that information on one of the lenses, so as you're looking, this information is coming up on the screen in front of you.
Speaker 1: Wow. Wow.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 5: And then if you're going hiking, you can use it to help orient yourself because it's all GPS tracked, so it's a They calling it an augmented reality precision orientation system. How it has that and it's made by a company called Unistella, And I'll send you the link so you can buy it for me for Christmas.
Speaker 1: My question is Patrick James. So these binoculars that I have, I'm in the middle of fucking nowhere, do i need internet?
Speaker 4: When you asked me questions and I don't know, Like.
Speaker 1: Because if it's giving me all this data and all this information, it's got to be drawing that from somewhere.
Speaker 4: You would think so, wouldn't you. Yes, Yeah, sorry, yes.
Speaker 1: I would think so, I would think so.
Speaker 5: Well, some of it would still work though satellite navigation, so they have a guide of navigation mode and that would be satellite technology, so that wouldn't need Internet access to do that, so certainly there'd be some things, and I guess some would be stored internally.
Speaker 4: You know, there was a I did have for a long time. A friend loaned me.
Speaker 5: A star viewer where you go out at the night sky. You stand out there, and then as you point to an object, a celestial object, it will tell you what it is, or if you want to look for a celestial object. So if you type in you know, so different times of the year, you can see Mars or whatever, or Uranus if you're in the bathroom. But you're basically type in what you want to look at, and then it has little arrows that tell you to keep moving it until you to the bot zero.
Speaker 1: You're a fucking idiot, all right, it's enough inus and bathole and poop. I know I've done the bulk of it. Yeah, but you didn't have to take the baton off me and finish the relay.
Speaker 4: Yes, all right?
Speaker 1: Tell us about some Google plans for adaptive thermal features.
Speaker 5: Well, this has already started happening on my phone. So the other day I got a MACA and you know, when you're running GPS on your phone, your phone does use a lot more power. And what happened was my phone was in my pocket. In fact, I was wearing this vest and I had it in my pocket and I'd driven maybe an hour or so, and my phone warned me that it was getting too hot and I needed to move it, either turn the screen off or move it to an area where it could cool down. So this is something that is now already being integrated into the Pixel phones. They're the Google phones, and it means that, yeah, they'll be able to not overheat because potentially that will damage your phone. And and I thought it was really kind of interesting that just phones are getting so much smarter. You know, they know their own temperature and as a result, can warn you that your phone might be getting too hot and it doesn't damage your phone or you know, you know the term laptop. You know why the term laptop is used and where it was coined initially.
Speaker 1: I'm going to take a stab because people sit it on their.
Speaker 4: Lap exactly exactly.
Speaker 5: And in fact, you know computers, we know now they have netbooks and notebooks, but people still call them laptops.
Speaker 4: Everyone calls them laptops.
Speaker 5: Yeah, but one of the problems with some of the laptops is overheating batteries, and what would happen is people would end up with burns on their lap because the batteries would overheat.
Speaker 1: So how dumb are they that they leave it sitting there so long that they get burned? No?
Speaker 5: Well, the thing is though, when you you know, if you've got something resting on you and they were pretty heavy, sometimes you get desensitized to that.
Speaker 1: So I can go up, it's something sitting on my lap and it's burning me.
Speaker 5: No, no, no, no, But gradually, as you it's the old frog pot. Now about the frog, it doesn't realize the water is getting to boiling point because it's going up gradually.
Speaker 1: Anyone who leaves a laptop on their lap long enough that they get burned, you're welcome. Now, Like Patrick, I want to tell you something that I just thought of Retech Now, So the new car, it's it's got this thing below the glove box. There's another compartment. You put your phone or phones in there and it decontaminates them, it disinfects or whatever. So you know, have you ever been to the barber? This will be news for ladies where they unless you go to a barber, you know, they they can't hear with the scissors. Then they put it in that little box with the purple light UV light. Yeah whatever that's meant to like I don't know, like fucking decontaminated whatever. So it's got one of these where you put your phone in, you leave it in for ten minutes, and you bring it out and it's been cleaned. How good is that.
Speaker 5: You can get UV phone cleaners so charging stands that also clean your phone at night, so they're not expensive either.
Speaker 4: And you know, the reality of it is when you.
Speaker 5: Press the phone against your head and you think what you do? You know your hands are touching the screen all the time. They reckon, you should clean your phone probably every second day, like really thoroughbably give it a good close.
Speaker 3: But then but then for the immune system though.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly exactly, like I reckon. We've got so many bloody immune system issues and so many gut biome issues because we're trying to make everyone live in a completely germ free environment, which your body kind of needs bacteria, like back to if your bacteria is you know the right kind of bacteria, but you need it. I reckon getting your hands dirty. Only wash my hands once between one and fifteen. I reckon like who needs to wash their hands? A person who has to have a shower after his take. Oh man, you are a contradiction on legs. I am, and I and I.
Speaker 3: Hands clean bum, got a clean bum?
Speaker 1: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Wow.
Speaker 2: I often think about and I haven't think about the old kiddy the situation like your cat drops it to digs around in that chillie that then walks all over the house, all over the house with their precious little paws, And it's like, what.
Speaker 1: About think about flies that land on dog shit and then your lip and then your lip?
Speaker 5: Right?
Speaker 4: I love that we have these conversations before lunchtime too.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's hungry, not anymore.
Speaker 1: Patrick, it's nearly one o'clock. Give us one more son, your choice, You go wherever you want to go.
Speaker 5: Okay, I'm going to tell you this funny story because remember we were talking about people who worked remotely using the mouse movers. You know, they fooled their employer because their mouse jiggled automatically.
Speaker 4: We talked about this a couple of episodes ago.
Speaker 5: So what happens is they were people Companies were monitoring remote workers by noticing whether they were working or not, just by how much movement there was in their mouse. So a company released the mouse that automatically jiggled to fool their employers. Well, as it happens, a company called Wells Fargo very very well their finance company. I think, aren't they Wells Fargo? I'm not sure anyway, didn't that went?
Speaker 1: They originally a railway company?
Speaker 5: Probably probably, Well, they've fired twelve employees for using the fake productive work jiggling mouse thing.
Speaker 1: Oh that's hilarious.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that was just an article that came out this week. I thought, I have to mention the Wells Fargo's story. So if you're using a mouse jiggler, don't you'll get caught.
Speaker 1: Oh there you go. There are there are an American multinational finance company. Yeah, so I'm complete, I thought, Oh yeah, Wells Fargo Bank. Yeah, yeah, history hang on eighteen fifty two express Yeah, not banking. Okay, so not rail at all. But well they got sprung, didn't they.
Speaker 5: Yeah?
Speaker 4: I thought you'd like that.
Speaker 1: One, Patrick. How can people connect with you and find you and follow you and get you to work with their organization?
Speaker 5: Okay, you could go to websitesnow, dot com, dot au, the businesses genesis effects, but who knows how to spell that.
Speaker 4: So this is websites now and find me.
Speaker 5: We can go to taichi at home and do some Thai G classes. We still have another tai chi class, crego, you were supposed to do one. We're going to do a virtual taichi class.
Speaker 1: When I come up in the stupidly named calligraphy. You can do a little one on one with me.
Speaker 4: Sounds good and what about perfectly yes straight.
Speaker 1: After, But boom, I knew that you either I was going to side you. We're going to say on.
Speaker 4: Thanks Tift, Thanks Led, Thanks Tiff.