Speaker 1: Late Welcome the late base.
Speaker 2: Great thanks for joining us on the late Debates. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond. Coming up tonight, Formula one drivers at the Melbourne Grand Prix told to watch their language.
Speaker 3: We'll explain why a bit later.
Speaker 2: Plus, when we look at what's making news tomorrow, the federal government's green hydrogen dreams exposed. It's just that dream, although when you look at the amount of money invested, it's more like a nightmare. And former immigration detainees, including rapists and murderers, being paid five hundred dollars a week to live in the community. We'll get to all of that a little later, but first, you know, just when you thought government waste could not possibly get any worse, have a look at this.
Speaker 3: It's been revealed in Senate estimates.
Speaker 2: That public servants have been enrolled in drama classes at twenty five thousand dollars cost to tax pay. So these public servants can learn to communicate with empathy, which kind of begs the question, if you take acting classes to show empathy, do you then need follow up acting classes to learn how to feign sincerity. The classes were provided for thirteen top bureaucrats over two days at NIDA, the National Institute of Dramatic Art. Now Claire Chandler, the Liberal Senator, was outraged by this. She told estimates on the Albenzy government's Watch Services Australia spent hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money on speechwriters and drama classes, while Australians will left waiting months for their pensions to be approved. I suppose, Calebin, there's the advantage in this is for all those pensioners waiting wondering where is my welfare check? At least when you ring Services Australia you will get empathy, and not just empathy, but you'll get it with dramatic flare. She went on to say, this is a typical example of the Albaneze government's wait, full spending and bizarre priorities amidst a cost of living crisis. Liza kind of makes me wonder, how do you get to be a top bureaucrat overseeing thousands of people if you need to go to Neider to learn skills in communication, that alone, you know, showing basic empathy with people.
Speaker 4: To be honest, I'm genuinely torn on this one because while it seems.
Speaker 5: Laughable at face value.
Speaker 4: Anyone who ever tries to treat and squeeze a drop of blood out of someone on the other end of the line. You're just trying to deal with one of these government departments, and these ones, particularly Oversea Centering and Medicare.
Speaker 5: So people are trying to make.
Speaker 4: Claims there are at vulnerable points in their lives.
Speaker 5: These people do not care if you live or die.
Speaker 4: Now, luckily I haven't had much to do with Medicare. I am in good health, always have been, thank the Lord, and neither have I had much to do Center Link ever. But the exchanges that I have had with government entities when I'm just trying to like sort out parking fines or dealing with Services New South Wales who could do with their training, men's maybe hit up nider. They are completely and utterly robotic. They are dealing with people on a daily basis who are incredibly vulnerable. They are not in a good place in their lives, hence them needing to communicate with you. And these people are down right horrible.
Speaker 5: I would go so far as to say.
Speaker 4: Low key traumatic experiences with Service New South Wales.
Speaker 5: I am not kidding. I am no wallflower.
Speaker 4: I am no pushover, as you've probably figured out.
Speaker 5: But those guys took.
Speaker 4: Me to the edge of my sanity and they're not even they're not even appt at their jobs to make up for the fact that they clearly do not give a rap.
Speaker 5: And so if it was.
Speaker 4: Those kinds of people that were receiving this training, I'd say taxpayer money well spent.
Speaker 2: Don't you go to the leadership coach rather than a drama coach.
Speaker 6: Well, this is the thing, right, because you get an acting lesson on how to show empathy.
Speaker 1: Now, to tell you people at.
Speaker 6: Home what empathy means if you didn't already know.
Speaker 1: In fact, I think I'm.
Speaker 6: Telling this to the public service what empathy means, because they didn't seem to understand it. According to the Oxford Dictionary, empathy is the ability to understand and share the feelings of another Now, I'm pretty sure if you take an acting lesson, you learn how to seem like you know, to be empathetic.
Speaker 1: You don't actually learn how to be empathetic.
Speaker 6: I mean, just because you've had an acting lesson, it doesn't mean you actually understand the feelings of another person. It's just that You've been taught to deal with them in such a way that it makes it look like.
Speaker 7: You understand how they're feeling.
Speaker 6: That's not empathy. That's fraud, is what that is.
Speaker 1: We need to have a fact check though, on.
Speaker 7: This business, Liz that you're always in good health.
Speaker 6: You have been splattering more than a diesel engine on a cold.
Speaker 1: Morning since you got back from.
Speaker 6: Pommy Land, so I won't be hearing any of this business about how you're in good health.
Speaker 4: Can I just say I was in perfectly good health and the woman I was sat next to on Qatar Airways otherwise known as Hamas Airways, I got in big trouble for flying Katar at art. They're all like, you're supporting the wrong people.
Speaker 5: I was like, good grief, I just got the cheapest flight. Ear thank you very much.
Speaker 4: She was sat next to me with a chesty cough the entire time. This should be grounds for a citizens arrest, Ladies and gentlemen, it really should be. Did not cover her mouth once, did not wear a mask, wasn't even a single semblance of apologetic for the fact that she was spreading the plague. I swear she was patient zero on that she loves and we stepped next for fourteen hours.
Speaker 5: It should be a criminal thing.
Speaker 3: You got to say something.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting here four nights a week next to someone with a chesty cough, who doesn't does not wear a mask, and has never apologized.
Speaker 3: So we will move on.
Speaker 5: It.
Speaker 3: Let's get back to the topic at hand.
Speaker 2: Speaking of public servants, Peter Dutton has announced that if elected, he will require public servants in Canberra to get back to the office at present. Fully a quarter of public servants in Canberra work from home at some point last year. He says, from a coalition government's point of view, it will be five days a week back in the office.
Speaker 3: Here's Peter Dutton.
Speaker 8: I think Australian taxpayers, who are working harder than ever under this government and barely keeping the head above water. I think they expect the government and the government employees to be working as hard as they are, and people refusing to go back to work in Canberra is not acceptable. We need an efficient delivery of government services now.
Speaker 2: Whether you agree with Dutton or not, I thought and the Albanesi's response was ridiculous.
Speaker 3: He called this Trumpian.
Speaker 2: Policy bocause so obviously Gump has thought of it.
Speaker 1: People don't work bad Trump.
Speaker 2: And by the way, bear in mind, we still don't know whether America is going to hit us with tariffs yet, and so for Anthony Albanesi to be going around talking about Trumpian policy is probably not wise. The Coalition are saying simply that rather than working from home being a right as it has become under Federal Labor, it would be more a request that would be made under the Coalition, and they would handle things on a case by case basis. So women, for instance, who wanted to work from home because they had young children, well it would be considered. They're not saying no, they're just saying it's not a right that is automatically guaranteed. It would have to work for you and for the organization. That sounds eminently fair and sensible.
Speaker 1: Of course it does.
Speaker 6: As I've said many times before, get your lazy ass back to the office. The rest of us are in the office doing the things that we've all always done for time immemorial. And the problem, of course, particularly if you're a public servant and your workload's probably pretty light anyway, but if you actually want to get some work done, if.
Speaker 1: Everyone's in the office. I've got a problem needs to be solved.
Speaker 6: I can get up from my desk and I can walk five desks away and say to someone, dada da da da, problem solved.
Speaker 1: We've worked out how to do it.
Speaker 6: If you're working from home, I've got to call you up and make an appointment to get you on Zoom at two pm tomorrow afternoon in order to fix anything. If everyone is in the office, it's much easier to get jobs done. And of course you'd like to think we'd have a more efficient public service. But I think this also serves another purpose because Dutton and the Coalition have said that they want to cut the public service, specifically the thirty six thousand odd public servants that have been added to the workforce.
Speaker 1: Under the alban Easy government.
Speaker 6: And this is a good way to get rid of people without actually sacking them, because I've made the argument before at the public service everywhere needs to be cut and one of the easiest ways to do it is by attrition. When someone leaves the public service, don't hire another person.
Speaker 1: You're able to get.
Speaker 6: Your numbers down very quickly if you do that, and you don't have to fire a single person. So if they start saying, well, you've got to be in the office five days a week, and people go, well, I don't like that. They'll go and get a job somewhere else. And then you get to cut the public service without actually sacking anyone.
Speaker 1: Is that not the ideal situation.
Speaker 4: I mean, you can understand why he's doing it. He knows that this will be everyone sitting at home. We'll be like, yeah, you guys, get backed to work. But as far as I'm concerned, a coalition government, we're going to force everyone.
Speaker 5: Back to work.
Speaker 4: It was a coalition government that stood by and did fat nothing when millions.
Speaker 5: Of healthy people were forced.
Speaker 4: To work at home, millions of healthy children weren't allowed to go to school, and those adults have not returned to the workplace, and that some of those kids still haven't.
Speaker 1: Return to school.
Speaker 4: As far as I'm concerned, it's your fault, So don't come cry and now being like, oh, no, people have discovered a better work life balance and we're not going to give it to them anymore. You made this problem when you took ridiculous measures of a jolly pandemic that had a well over ninety eight percent recovery rate. Mate, so I get that you're trying to win an election, that's very obvious, But do me a favor. You guys started the problem, and nobody believes that public servants are going to be that much more productive in the workplace.
Speaker 5: Caleb, Well, maybe your.
Speaker 4: Argument does apply it to the private sector, but public sector. Please, last year alone, we forked out thirty seven point three billion dollars on just three hundred and sixty thousand employees.
Speaker 5: Are any of us better off?
Speaker 6: No, we're not now, But you see, public servants get things done over yoga sessions during the day, and of course if they're not in the office, they can't go to yoga together, can they? And can you imagine trying this on down in Victoria? Of course, because we know what their public service has been like. They've had so much trouble getting people back to the office down in Victoria, and a lot of that has come down to the weakness of the Victorian government. And we get yet another example of that today.
Speaker 1: Now.
Speaker 6: The Herald Son, the Saturday Herald's son on the weekend had an exclusive report that kiddy crims would be allowed back into the classrooms. Specifically, there was going to be a trial of fifty kids with ankle bracelets, and these would be kids who were teenagers at high risk of bail non compliance or reoffending being allowed to go back into public school classrooms with other children. And you might go, what the hell, what you're going to let these crims go and mix with my kid at school.
Speaker 1: I don't like that. That seemed fair enough.
Speaker 6: And then of course they were asked about this the government over the weekend and they said, this is a spokesman from the Victorian government that there was strict criteria when determining who is suitable for the electronic monitoring program. Getting young people re engaged with school, training or work is a proven way to help them break the cycle of offending. We will always prioritize the safety of staff and students.
Speaker 1: So that was Saturday.
Speaker 6: At that point the government was all on board with these kids being allowed to go into the classroom. We'll fast forward to today Tuesday, and the Education Minister, who's also the Deputy Premier, Ben Carrell, says, actually, no, this is.
Speaker 1: Off the agenda now, we're not going to do it.
Speaker 6: But the most interesting part is that he said he learnt about this by reading it in the paper. Yes, he picked up the Herald Son on Saturday morning and learned as the Education Minister and Deputy Premier that his government was going to allow fifty child criminals to mix.
Speaker 1: It with normal kids.
Speaker 7: Here he was at a press conference today.
Speaker 9: Well, my reaction was at the bureaucracy got this wrong and it's not appropriate for kids wearing ankle bracelets to be in mainstream school settings. That's why I've sent the department back to the drawing board.
Speaker 1: The bureaucrats have got it wrong.
Speaker 6: He is correct in saying that, But you're the education minister, mate, Like this got to the point where the trial was going to go ahead next month.
Speaker 1: It turns up in.
Speaker 6: The paper and that's the first you've heard of child criminals being allowed to mix it with other kids in schools. Does the bloke have any control of his department whatsoever? And of course it comes hot on the heels of a few weeks ago the Premier announcing justinter Allen that there would be a review of bail laws. Then the Police Minister comes out and says, well, there's not really a review of bail laws at all.
Speaker 1: I've got some ideas in my bottom.
Speaker 6: Drawer that I could pull out to make it all work. And then the Attorney General didn't speak for four days, and then she finally came out and and didn't tell us anything we didn't already know. And the only reason she came out to talk to us eventually was because she found out again another thing that a minister didn't know that bail services in Victoria were being run by private companies. And one of these companies had just stopped working and not told the government that they were doing it, and they had criminals on bail at large walking around Victoria, and.
Speaker 1: They had no idea where they were. Just this government had any.
Speaker 6: Idea, the politicians specifically, any idea what is going on in Victoria.
Speaker 2: My big takeaway from this is thank god Ben Carroll read the paper on You know, I don't imagine the state of Victorian schools if just for whatever reason Ben Carroll, I don't know, he just didn't bother to pick up the Herald's son and read what was happening in his state and what was proposing to be done by his government. It's a hell of a way to run a state. But we all know that Victoria's being run like hell. The other big thing about this is for bureaucrats to come up with an idea where fifty high risk juvenile criminals would be put into mainstream schools.
Speaker 3: They would have, as you said, ankle bracelets.
Speaker 2: Teachers would have to be taught not only how to monitor the fact that these ankle bracelets are being worn, but also teachers would be trained to help destigmatize, which I think is hilarious because we want all the kids to get used to.
Speaker 1: This is normal over all.
Speaker 5: These kids, that's that speculative.
Speaker 2: We know what they're doing, right, They're focusing on the feelings of a very small minority of people who are doing the wrong thing and ignoring the welfare of the overwhelming majority, which is pretty much the way governments right around the country are running everything right now. It's all about the feelings of a very small group of people to the exclusion of the welfare of the majority.
Speaker 5: I don't know that it is about the kids feelings.
Speaker 4: I mean, the research is very very comprehensive that kids, if they're sent to juvie, for instance, have much higher rates of recidivism. They are far more likely to be re arrested, far more likely to fall into a life of crime. Because of course the people that they're associating with are all criminals. So the real question here is, Okay, if these kids can't go to school, where are they going to go. They still need to be educated, and it is to their great detriment if they are then only allowed to socialize with other kids with the same proclivities. So this is not a new argument, but it's a very necessary one to have.
Speaker 5: And again it sounds very good for a politician to come out and say, well, you know, we can't have this.
Speaker 4: I very much believe that if these kids are walking around with an ankle bracelet on, they're not being accused of crimes like I don't know, bodily harmed to somebody else. We're probably talking about theft, We're probably talking about those kinds of crimes. They're not talking about all their high risk in terms of their going to harm a fellow kid at school. And again, the research shows that if these kids are properly socialized, they're far more likely to grow out of those kinds of behaviors. Because what is the other option, how do they get their education homeschooling? I don't think so A lot of these kids. Heil from troubled homes. So you're not going to send them home to parents or a parent and be like, Okay, their education is now your responsibility. That simply doesn't make sense. So again I'm torn here because I know that it sounds well and good to be like, well, these kids have an unkle bracelet, and therefore they shouldn't be allowed to socialize with normal children. But the research shows them socializing with normal children, having friends who are from good functioning homes, and forming a great social kids are.
Speaker 5: So it's all about peers.
Speaker 4: It's all about peer pressure, and that works for the good and.
Speaker 5: For the bad.
Speaker 4: So if these kids are to go to school, and again they're not, they're not on the record for harming people bodily, they've probably stolen something or the like. They're to go to school to end up with a good circle of friends.
Speaker 2: And that's the argument is it works both ways, right, So if you're a parent and you're sending your kid to the local public school, you don't want your kid hanging around with some kid who is so prone to breaking the law that he requires twenty four to seven government surveillance.
Speaker 3: So the whole you know, like attraction.
Speaker 5: I say, I'm both ways, I'm torn, and.
Speaker 6: That's that's all fine, But how is it that the department decides this is going to happen and the Education Minister has no idea If you're going to have the discussion, that's one thing, but clearly it was a discussion that was had with no involvement from the minister whatsoever. What sort of control do you have over your government and your department if the Education Minister is not involved in such an important discussion an issue as that.
Speaker 2: Well, the government should probably have some discussions about their policy on the Ukraine because they seem to be all over the place at the moment as well. Just yesterday the Defense Industry Minister Pat Conroy said that he did not envisage a situation where Australian soldiers would be sent to Ukraine as peacekeepers. But today Anthony Albanezi said, well, Kostama Macron, they're talking about putting together a coalition of the willing, and yeah, Australia is very open to sending peacekeepers. Here's the Prime Minister.
Speaker 10: There's discussion at the moment about potential peacekeeping and from my government's perspective, we're open to consideration of any proposals going forward.
Speaker 2: I'm trying to guess what Chris Min's view on peacekeepers really or Peter Dutton has a completely different view when it comes to Australia's obligation Ukraine.
Speaker 1: In terms of.
Speaker 8: Whether we should have boots on the ground in Ukraine, I don't support that. I think the Europeans have that task and I think what President Trump's pointed out is that the Europeans need to do more in the defense of Europe and that's a statement of the obvious.
Speaker 2: Listening to Anthony Albanese say yeah, I'm very open to sending diggers to Ukraine as peacekeepers, I'm thinking there must be a large Ukrainian.
Speaker 3: Population in Western Sydney.
Speaker 2: That's the only thing I can kind kind of think that must be behind this. Well, we've just spent the last week absolutely failing to surveil Chinese warships off our coast.
Speaker 3: But no, no, we're good.
Speaker 2: To send soldiers to the Ukraine to patrol the Russian Army. I just think Anthony Albanese is all over the shop when it comes to foreign affairs and to defense matters, and on top of that, can't get a meeting with Donald Trump before we go spooking any response from Australia to what's happening in uk Kraine. It might be worth getting a phone call to the leader of the Free World, our major ally and security partner, and just trying to get on the same page before he starts mouthing off.
Speaker 6: Well, and this is the thing, right, I'm not so operturbed by the idea of peacekeepers. I mean, we've been involved in peacekeeping for a long time. I think we're still in Sudan. We were in Cyprus until twenty twenty one. We've been there since the sixties. We don't tend to lose people on peacekeeping missions because you go there after a war has ended.
Speaker 1: But the war is still going.
Speaker 6: So why are we talking about will send peacekeepers when we literally have not negotiated and into this war yet.
Speaker 1: The effort at the moment should be to.
Speaker 6: Get the war over before you start talking anywhere near Sending peacekeepers in Datan is correct though, and this is the point. But of course Trump has been trying to drive that this is a war in the European zone and the only reason that Ukraine has been able to not repel Russia because Russia has taken territory. But being able to sustain the war to this extent, to this point is because the US has funded it and we now have a president who doesn't want the war to continue, and so he's saying, my support, you know, by money, which is what allows you to keep going here, is contingent on the plan that we end this thing. That's why we had from Trump today that he's cutting off military aid until such time as they can come to an agreement, because that's the point here. The point is we want the war over. That is what we should be talking about. That's what Albanezi should be talking. It's what everyone should be talking. Peacekeepers is rather beyond the point at the moment.
Speaker 1: As far as I'm concerruy're.
Speaker 5: Sending Australians is absolutely out of the question. We've known from the beginning. This is NATO's war.
Speaker 4: Okay, This is between NATO and Russia, period, end of It's in the name North Atlantic Treaty Organization.
Speaker 5: Are we a member state?
Speaker 1: No?
Speaker 5: Are we anywhere near the North Atlantic?
Speaker 4: Absolutely not. Also, how is this one eighty from Dutton? It was just last year he was berating the Albanezy government for not spending enough, fast enough, Oh send the tank, send this they need more, like Australia should have anything to do with this war now, of course, because Trump has stepped up to the plate, put his foot down and said, oh, we're capping at a two hundred billion mate, You're not getting any more money out of us, thank you very much. Now Dutton's saying, oh no, no, we wouldn't put all the boots on the ground. But before that he seemed to be all for it. So once again we have this beautiful case of world leaders watching Trump ripping a note out of that notebook and saying, okay, now I can wave this around.
Speaker 5: Now I can make it my own.
Speaker 4: Now I can include this as a spook in my campaign strategy.
Speaker 5: So it's not really that bolshee.
Speaker 4: But again I'm glad he's saying it not our circus, not our monkeys. Australia never has been, never should have been. I want my one point five billion dollars back that we have spent in Ukraine.
Speaker 5: I think we've actually spent more than that at this point.
Speaker 4: Because Trump knows, and Australia should be well aware, we have other theaters of war to worry about. China, Taiwan, Israel, Iran potentially it is. It is absolutely mind blowing the amount of media this war has taken up. You'd think it was the only conflict happening on the face of the planet, but it has been blown up to be this ginormous thing all of a sudden. It's everybody's business. No, I'm an Australian. I don't want my money going over there, and Trump.
Speaker 5: Has rightly said Europe, it's up to you.
Speaker 4: But we all know once America pulls the plug and it has it's over. It doesn't matter what Starma and Macron are saying, and it certainly doesn't matter what Albanese's promising.
Speaker 5: It is over. Red Rover end of.
Speaker 2: Just a couple of things in terms of, you know, this war being blown up. One point five million people have died, reportedly.
Speaker 4: Unnecessarily, as Trump has pointed.
Speaker 2: Out, necessarily or unnecessarily. You're hardly blowing up a war when you know and exaggerating it when that many people have died.
Speaker 4: And no, I'm simply saying there there are so many conflicts going on in the world today that people have no idea about because the media decides which one is important.
Speaker 3: To Dutton's defense.
Speaker 2: I do think there's a distinction between saying we should send military equipment and we should send Australian soldiers. I do think there's a distinction between those two. I'm not sure that's a.
Speaker 1: Contradiction, no, And I don't think he's ever been supported.
Speaker 4: It certainly sounds I don't think anyone here.
Speaker 5: We couldn't do enough fast enough, you know, and.
Speaker 2: Some helicopters and say hey, have them use them, which would just send our sons over there, which would.
Speaker 7: Which would fair, And they were just anyway, right.
Speaker 6: But the point is that it was legitimate to argue that age should be given to Ukraine at previous points of this war.
Speaker 1: But it's three years.
Speaker 6: In now, right, and so unless someone puts a circuit breaker in place, it will just continue ad for Nitum. Now that's not good for Ukraine. It's not good for Russia either. It needs to be noted they've lost a lot in the process of this.
Speaker 1: War as well. But in order to end.
Speaker 6: This war, and it needs to happen otherwise it will go on forever, someone has to seed some ground. And I think Nigel Frads was quite correct when he was talking to Paul Murray earlier in saying that the real problems Lensky had when he walked into that meeting with Trump the other day was that he's not yet willing to concede that crimera is going to go to the Russians. That's probably just a fact of how it's going to play out, because if you want to win the war, you're going to have to concede some ground and hand something over.
Speaker 1: He's not yet willing to make that.
Speaker 6: Moral decisions that they can do that, but that's the only way it's going to end.
Speaker 1: Unfortunately, that's the only way it's going to end.
Speaker 5: And people are still hailing him as a hero for that.
Speaker 4: It is not heroic to feed tens of thousands more Ukrainians into the gun mouths of the Russians in the name of patriotism.
Speaker 5: That is nonsense.
Speaker 4: Again, when America pulls the plug, you know that you are fighting a losing war. And so many in the West have been told at nauseum for three years now, this is for democracy.
Speaker 5: I've told you before. There's a lot more to this war than that.
Speaker 1: But guess what.
Speaker 4: Even that whole farce of oh, well, this is democracy against Russia.
Speaker 5: Has been a farce.
Speaker 4: As new head of Intelligence under the Trump administration, Tulsey Gubbard pointed out earlier today.
Speaker 11: When we actually look at what's happening in real reality in these countries as well as with Zelensky's government in Ukraine, is the exact opposite. You have the canceling of elections in Ukraine. You have political parties being silenced or even criminalized or thrown in prison. You have the freedom of religion, churches being shut down, you have political opposition being silenced.
Speaker 1: You have total.
Speaker 5: Government control of the media.
Speaker 11: We could go down a whole laundry list of issues that are against the values of democracy and freedom.
Speaker 4: Goodness said it better myself, all that stuff that you've been told about.
Speaker 5: Oh well, this is for democracy.
Speaker 4: The Ukrainians would like some democracy too, Thank you very much to Poland. Now we're a Polish fellow by the name of Kamenda has taken Ikea to court for an unfair dismissal. He says that LGBTIQ Agenda was shoved down his throat while he was working at Ikea, and as a Christian, he couldn't stand for it, so he stood up for his religious freedoms. He was unceremoniously dismissed from Ikea, took it to the court and can you believe it's taken a few years, But he's one we read in the paper commander used two quotes from the Bible regarding homosexual practices to express his criticism, after which he was fired from his job. First a district court and then a regional court ruled that his dismissal had been unjustified, and most recently, the Supreme Court also refused to hear an appeal filed by Ikea. Now this was after he had been fired for speaking out against this indoctrination.
Speaker 5: He's like, I'm an Ikea employee.
Speaker 4: Why do you have to keep telling me that I have to uphold these values and preach and teach them.
Speaker 6: Like you do.
Speaker 4: But I ask you, do you think this would happen in Australia.
Speaker 5: I've got a friend who works for.
Speaker 4: Ikea and on the very first day they were handed out all these lanyards, rainbow lanyards. My friend is a Christian. We don't wear rainbow lanyards. We don't celebrate particular lifestyles that is condemned by our faith. And in very black and white terms in our scriptures. So luckily they didn't have to decline to wear this because the person ran out of lanyards before they got to my friend. But you can bet your bottom dollar that person would have been flagged as extremely problematic and may have also ended up being dismissed even if they just had to put their hand in the air and say, I'm sorry, I'm not wearing this lanyard. Just give me a blue and yellow one like normal ikea stuff.
Speaker 5: Why are we being made to wear this stuff? Just like the manly players.
Speaker 4: Who were like, no, no, this is not in line with.
Speaker 5: My personal beliefs.
Speaker 4: Can I get some respect for those It's taken this guy years and goodness knows how much money in those legal costs, since this was the third and final court.
Speaker 5: Of appeal that I could could go.
Speaker 4: To, and despite losing in all three, they genuinely believed that they were on the right side ramming this kind of indoctrination down their employees.
Speaker 2: Next, what was interesting about the court decision is the court found that IKA were going against their own retoric of inclusivity by sacking somebody for their religious beliefs and their worldview. So the court pointed out the hypocrisy and the inherent contradiction. The other thing that Court pointed out is that participation in an employer's social initiatives should be voluntary just because you are a specialist in flat packs.
Speaker 3: Wish that I was, Kayleb. I absolutely destroy them, but.
Speaker 6: I can tell you it's much easier if you do it in the middle of the night with a bottle of red, as I did recently.
Speaker 2: Doesn't mean that you have to support.
Speaker 3: Maybe your employer wants to promote.
Speaker 6: Yeah, I know, well I think it's flat pack ideology. Basically, they've just taken it off the shelf and.
Speaker 1: Here it is, this is what we should all do.
Speaker 6: Unless it relates to your job in any way, I don't see how it's relevant, right, Like I could understand why a church, for instance, would have certain ideals about the values of the people that it employs, and likewise a religious school or perhaps a business that deals exclusively with LGBTQ people. I don't know what's something that might be, like a sexual health testing place whatever. Right, there are circumstances where you.
Speaker 3: Would say organized exactly.
Speaker 6: There are circumstances where you would say it is entirely fair that an employer would expect you to uphold a certain set of values like that, But to sell flat pack furniture in a shop I don't think is one of those circumstances, and so it shouldn't come into it. And this was appealed all the way up to the High Court. That's how hard IQ was trying to prove the point I suppose here, and at one of the courts along the way, the court said that it should not even in the name of tolerance in the broader since lead employees to feel coerced into changing their beliefs.
Speaker 5: I e.
Speaker 6: Should be able to go to your job as a salesman and not have to worry about political ideology.
Speaker 1: In the process. It seems pretty straightforward if I.
Speaker 2: Care to do this In Poland, where I think it's seventy one percent of the population are Catholic and very staunch Catholics. There's another case currently in the court in Warsaw where an IT specialist has been sacked because he refused to participate in an equality parade. So there's a few of these instances in the courts in Poland.
Speaker 5: I just love to see a play out in Australia. Because I do not think a Christian here would be half as successful.
Speaker 4: Also, my friend told me about this massive drag queen that was put up in the bathrooms of all places. Why can't you even p in pace no and doctrination and the bathrooms.
Speaker 5: Someone drew over the top of it.
Speaker 4: They have Muslim employees, they have Christian employees, they have all matter of employees.
Speaker 5: Like Ikea is a very big place, and.
Speaker 4: Yet Okia just reply the signage like no, no, didn't even just remove it and be like Okay, clearly someone objects to this, someone who has different beliefs.
Speaker 5: It just seems to be very dogged.
Speaker 4: It's in their emails, it's in all their employee training.
Speaker 5: Et cetera, and so on.
Speaker 4: And long before this case came up, my friend had been telling me just about how stringent and how militantly Ikea was making sure that all employees were bowing down before this idol of DII, specifically the LGBTIQ agenda.
Speaker 6: And I mean, if you can avoid it anyway, don't buy Flackpeck furniture. Try and get something in auction or Facebook marketplace, secondhand, good quality.
Speaker 1: It'll last to a hill of a lot longer.
Speaker 6: I can tell you speaking of things lasting longer than they should.
Speaker 1: Let's talk about paid parking.
Speaker 6: I know it sounds like a bit of a strange segue, but it makes sense because in Adelaide at the moment, it is the Fringe Festival. And anyone who's been to the Fringe or lives in Adelaide knows just how big the Fringe Festival is. It is a month long party in the Adelaide CBD arts, music.
Speaker 1: Comedy, the whole lot.
Speaker 6: It is a fabulous time and so Adelaide City Council of course watch all these people stream into the city and go to their restaurants and cafes and businesses. It's great for the city. So what do you think the council would do about it?
Speaker 1: I know what they'll do.
Speaker 6: They'll turn free parking spaces into paid parking spaces.
Speaker 12: Take a look Adelaide City Council finding a brand new but contentious solution to the increased demand. They say to give more people a fair go at getting a spot, getting a taste and getting out, extending the time they charge to park near the East End.
Speaker 5: It's not a cash grab.
Speaker 12: It is there purely to have more people to enjoy the precinct than perhaps we were able to achieve last year.
Speaker 1: Ah, let's more people enjoy the precinct.
Speaker 6: Well, I'll tell you they're going to come into the city anyway, whether it's in a car or on a bus, if they've got a ticket to go and see a show the fringe. I don't think they're going to avoid it because there was free parking or otherwise. But clearly what happens here is people who know it to be a free parking zone after six pm, as it always has been, go and park there and then they come back to their car after the show and no one behold there is a fine on it because they haven't paid the fee. I mean, could you be any more opportunistic than this. It is such an economic boon for Adelaide when the Fringe is on and the Council's like, how can we make a buck out of it?
Speaker 1: I know that's all logic.
Speaker 3: Makes no sense.
Speaker 2: By making it more expensive to attend, we're hoping more people will attend.
Speaker 3: It just makes no sense.
Speaker 5: Can you saying though they're hoping for higher turn over?
Speaker 4: That way someone can be like, well I've had my three hours, I've got to go, so somebody will be like, oh right, now I can have this buck, That's what he was saying.
Speaker 1: But you know what that means. Yes, that means you've got to leave the city.
Speaker 6: So if you'd had someone who parked there for six hours and then someone who came on the bus and stayed for six hours, they're going to spend twice as much money as two people who've used that car park for three hours each.
Speaker 4: So if these were privately owned and you were the owner, you wouldn't do this. What do you mean if I had opportunistic revenue raising plate, you.
Speaker 1: Wouldn't you give it out for free in the first place.
Speaker 2: The point is they're denying that it's revenue raising.
Speaker 3: That's the point.
Speaker 2: If they just paid, this is a great boon for the city. We're going to make some extra money and use it to fill potholes.
Speaker 4: The government, they're not going to actually admit this is just revenue raising. None of their revenue raising is revenue raising. It's for our own benefit, as is this.
Speaker 2: And so then they just lie to our faces. And that's the problem. We know that what it's all about. We're going to go to a break. When we come back, we look at what's making news tomorrow, including former detainees out in the public and being paid five hundred dollars a week by taxpayers to be so all that more in just a moment, Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Let's take a look at what's making news tomorrow.
Speaker 2: You remember back in twenty twenty three about one hundred and fifty non citizen dangerous detainees were released back into the community because of a High court decision. Well, it continues to trouble the labor government have look at this headline from the Adelaide Advertiser as an exclusive one hundred million dollars blown on upkeep for foreign murderers, rapists, killers get five hundred dollars a week, reads the headline. The article begins hundreds of former immigration detainees convicted of offenses such as murder and rape are receiving up to five hundred dollars a week in payments, with the total bill for their time in the community costing one hundred million.
Speaker 3: Dollars and counting.
Speaker 2: This is one of those stories that just continues to roll on. You be aware that Tony Burke announced that one of these criminals was being sent to Nauru, which was obviously a in the bucket, and of course now that is being challenged in the courts. So whichever way you look at it's a disaster for the government. And now we find out we're still paying for it.
Speaker 6: I mean, this is an absolute joke that someone can come to this country and do these things to our people, and then we find out that it's somehow illegal to get rid of them, so we have to have them walking around in the community, and then we have to pay for the privilege of doing so. Is bloody outrageous. Now, did the government not pass laws that would allow them to redetain people that they thought were a danger to the community. How many of these people have been redetained. I'm not aware of a single one that has been. So what was the point you wanted them locked up?
Speaker 1: You left them?
Speaker 6: The government left them locked up some of the many of them had been locked up since the previous government, but the Labor government did nothing about releasing them at any point. They had been locked up for all this time because they're not citizens, they shouldn't be in this country. But we say we can't send them back once they came because it would.
Speaker 1: Be too dangerous for the way. I don't care.
Speaker 7: Just feed them to the lines, as far as I'm concerned.
Speaker 1: But if you've already.
Speaker 6: Been okay with them being locked up, why have we not just locked them all back up again. Wasn't that the point of this whole thing that the laws didn't allow us to do it previously, so we changed the law so we could, and then we pay them to walk around the committity.
Speaker 2: The point of the law change was a headline, and then they were hoping that the whole thing would just go away. But it's not going away. Every couple of weeks we get another revelation of it.
Speaker 5: The point is always the headlines. That's the one oh one of politics. The point is the headline.
Speaker 4: There's a saying in politics which everyone in the know knows, which is the less you intend to do about something, the more of a song and dance you've got to make about it, the more you've got to talk about it, the more headlines you need about it in order.
Speaker 5: To make it look like you are doing something. And of course this just costs us, even the.
Speaker 4: Locking up you're talking about, Caleb, the years of it that was all on our time. I don't understand why we don't simply amend the laws to say if you come here and you break the rules.
Speaker 5: You get to go back and we owe you nothing.
Speaker 4: There's no like, oh, we're concerned what might happen if we send them back. They should have thought about that before they committed a heenus crime in the country that was so kind to take them in to the Australia now the best paper in the nation. Truth of green hydrogen fantasy. I think you and I both know the truth already, but let's have some more of it. Australia's green hydrogen industry has failed to fire, with ninety nine percent of a one hundred billion dollar supply pipeline failing to progress beyond the concept stage, punching a hole in Anthony Albanesi's aim to develop a major export industry by twenty thirty and meet net zero goals. So tell us, elbow, are we still got to be a renewables powerhouse? Is the world still going to look to us for all their unewable energy?
Speaker 5: I don't think so.
Speaker 6: There was a story on one of the papers yesterday, it might't have been the Newcastle Herald, about an offshore wind project that the government has sort of put out to tender, and there was a mob that had agreed to it. They'd signed up, they're going to do it, and now they're not so sure they want to do it anymore. I mean, it seems every day we get another story about how none of this is working green hydrogen.
Speaker 1: None of it's happened.
Speaker 6: Everyone's pulled their hydrogen projects down. In South Australia. Of course, we were told that hydrogen green hydrogen was going to power the steel works in Wayala, except the steel works were so expensive to run that Sanjeev Gupta has been put into administration.
Speaker 1: The whole thing's gone.
Speaker 6: Bus So the state government now has to spend money bailing that out, which means they won't be spending that money on green hydrogen. It goes on and on, and somehow we're still sitting here going ah yeah, n zero lardi dadi dara.
Speaker 1: It's all going to happen. It ain't going to happen. Why do we bother with this anymore.
Speaker 2: The other article that's just been posted on the Tizer website Hydrogen South Australia chief under scrutiny by Premier and cabinet as office staff slashed.
Speaker 3: He's on six hundred thousand dollars a year.
Speaker 2: And what the article goes on to say is they're trying to work out he's a really good guy. He's really good at what he does. Oh right, yeah, where could we use him? Because clearly the hydrogen dream ain't happening. And it's like Elbanezey talks about, you know, we're going to become a renewable energy superpower. How many times you heard that phrase. None of us know what it means. There was a plan to connect the cable, wasn't there from the Northern Territory.
Speaker 3: It was going to run underwater Moon.
Speaker 2: We're going to export sunbeams or something Singapore or something.
Speaker 5: That we have so much sun in Australia.
Speaker 2: Go back to headlines, right, they just say these things go it's amazing, and they hope we forget.
Speaker 4: And don't scratch beneath the surface. That is what the bank on. Don't scratch beneath the surface. You'll never figure out.
Speaker 5: That it's all a pile of blooney.
Speaker 4: To the second headline in the Odds Coalition vowels to fix heritage laws car crash. The Coalition has promised to overhaul federal heritage laws should it return to powers. New analysis shows the indigenous group that sank the Blamy Goldmine has become one of the most successful and litigious applicants under the current system.
Speaker 5: Dare we dream that some of.
Speaker 4: This nonsense, at least the nonsense overseen by the federal government in this respect, could come to an end under a coalition government. Surely that alone has got to bag in a few more votes.
Speaker 2: That they're not making massive changes. I think what they're proposing is that the Aboriginal Land Councils, who are the legislated recognized bodies, would be the go to rather than these odd sort of indigenous groups that pop up out of nowhere and suddenly make claims. So the way I read, unfortunately, it's not like the coalition are going to make major changes. They're just saying we've got established indigenous bodies that are able to recognize what's sacred and what's not. They will be the voice and we won't listen to these other groups that are making all these outrageous claims. What they sprinkled this guy's ashes back in Yeah, that's a sacred Over two years ago, Johnson's car were spread all over the top of the mountain. In nineteen eighty three. I know it's pretty sacred to that Green's tough. Ford Felcat is on exactly.
Speaker 1: His name is escaping me now.
Speaker 6: But Chris Kenny was talking earlier this evening to the former chairman of the.
Speaker 7: New South Wales Aboriginal Land Council.
Speaker 6: And he made the point that they hate groups like this because when there is a legitimate cause to be talked about, everyone then goes here.
Speaker 1: But what about those wallies that.
Speaker 6: Were going on about how Mount Panorama should be a sacred site and it actually discredits people who want to do genuine work around Aboriginal affairs. And I think he's quite right importing that out before we go to a break on the front of the Mercury tomorrow down in Tazzy, it's all bad news, I'm sorry to report.
Speaker 1: We'll probably just leave it there are. They're actually not going to get any news at all if you look at the screen by the looks of it.
Speaker 6: But I'll just I'll just show it to you right there, you go. That's what it's got on the front of the MRK tomorrow. It's all bad news, as I say. One headline says government seeks four hundred and sixty eight million dollars to pay the bills. They've had to go off the Liberal government to the Parliament for us for permission to spend some more money because they've had big budget blowouts of.
Speaker 1: The tune of half a billion. And the next one says clear the debts.
Speaker 6: The state government is considering selling off some of his businesses, including the state's Motor Accidents Insurance Board and public transport operated Metro to pay down.
Speaker 1: That soaring debt.
Speaker 6: It just seems to go from bad to worse for Tasmania, certainly does.
Speaker 3: We're going to go to a break when we come back.
Speaker 2: Grand Prix drivers arriving in Melbourne shortly for the GP have been told to watch their language.
Speaker 3: We'll explain why in a moment. Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, the Melbourne Formula one Grand Prix is just a couple of weeks away. But Caleb, the drivers have been given some interesting instructions.
Speaker 5: Indeed they have.
Speaker 6: I'm so excited that it's back, but I mean, for heaven's sake, the world has gone so soft. Now you can imagine you're driving around in a Formula one car. You're going two three four hundred kilometers an hour. You know, the serious speeds these people are driving at. And occasionally things go wrong. There are crashes, tires blow up, all sorts of things happen on the on the track right, and sometimes you get a bit frustrated and well there's an F bomb here or an S word or whatever.
Speaker 1: I mean, this is high precious spot.
Speaker 6: But the drivers have been told, I don't know, as well as driving these machines of death around the track, you must watch your language now, and if you don't, we will make you pay.
Speaker 1: For it quite seriously too.
Speaker 6: The first time they swear on their team radios, they'll be slagging sixty six thousand, eight hundred and ninety six dollars, the second time one hundred and thirty three thousand, seven hundred and ninety one dollars, and the third time two hundred thousand, six hundred and eighty seven dollars in a two year period.
Speaker 1: So you know, this normal reaction is now banned. Wonderful covert there, what idiot?
Speaker 6: Yes, imagine having a real human reaction while you're driving a very fast car on the track. I mean, bab and sack Oscar Piastre, who is the light of the Australians at the moment has hit out at it and said it's absolutely ridiculous, and it is because you're in a.
Speaker 1: High pressure situation.
Speaker 6: If there's any time you want to say the F word every now and again, that's it, it isn't it.
Speaker 2: You want to watch Lewis Hamilton, not Mother Teresa driving a car.
Speaker 4: Drivers about it has bleeped out anyway, So if anyone's watching Broadcom offended by an F bomb in a high pressures situation, also, the last thing these guys need to be doing is minding their p's and q's.
Speaker 5: That milli second of hesitation their lives. In some of those situations, it.
Speaker 2: Just goes to show that whatever sport you're talking about really is entertainment, isn't it.
Speaker 3: And so they have to manage it and.
Speaker 2: Massage it to be packaged to be provided for consumers. And so whether it's football or racing car drivers, at the end of the day, they are entertainers.
Speaker 1: That's part of the entertainment.
Speaker 6: You want to know what they're really feeling when something goes wrong. I mean, you know, can you imagine the Pstree crashres you go, oh, good, heavens, I have had a mischief. You're on the track.
Speaker 1: I mean, that's not what we're waiting.
Speaker 2: James Hunt used to speak, that's the end for us. Tonight stick Around coming up against the Ride Penny Show.
Speaker 3: Good Night,