Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Tuesday, February eleventh. Chris Dawson's lawyers are seeking leave to appeal to the High Court against his conviction for murdering his wife, Lynette Simms. The former footballer who was charged after The Australian's podcast The Teacher's Pet, says the criminal courts have got it wrong and he couldn't get a fair trial because police took nearly four decades to charge him. Ancient cave paintings on the Knullyball Plane in South Australia are at serious risk of decay. That's according to scientists and indigenous owners. Research and conservation have been halted because two groups of traditional owners and native title holders can't agree on who should oversee the painstaking work. Those exclusives alive now at the Australian dot Com dot a U. The pressure's on for Anthony Albnezy and Ambassador Kevin Rudd to persuade Donald Trump to exempt Australia from sweeping twenty five percent tariffs on steel and aluminium. The Prime Minister says he's got a phone call lined up with the White House, but in the policy whirlwind of Washington, DC, Will Australia's please be heard? That's today's episode. Before we start, there's a bit of Billy Connolly and therefore some swearing in this episode. We want yes and that, we demand the share of that and most of that, some of this and fucking all of that. This episode of the Front is about Donald Trump, but sometimes the person to best sum up the mood of the moment is Billy Connolly.
Speaker 2: And another thing, we want no, I want it, yes are they? I want fucking lord tomorrow and the demands will all be changed. A fucking stairwek.
Speaker 1: The Scottish comedic genius, was talking about the women's movement back in the eighties, but he could have been talking about the first three weeks of the Trump administration. Reducks.
Speaker 3: I'm having an early morning shock every single day, Claire. It's the most remarkable news cycle I can recall in forty years of journalism. Donald Trump mark two is not just one announcement a day. It's about seven different major announcements a day. It's been absolutely spectacular.
Speaker 1: That's Cameron Stewart, the Australian's chief international correspondent, and we're talking about Trump's latest big announcement. Mad to board Air Force One as he traveled to the Super Bowl in New Orleans, the first sitting president to attend America's most sacred sporting day. Trump was mid sentence in his leather armchair chatting to a group of reporters when an announcement came from the cockpit.
Speaker 4: Ya, in a gentleman, if you could please direct your opinion out the right flout of the aircraft. The Air Force One is currently in international waters the first time in history, applying over the recently renamed tom of America.
Speaker 2: Wow, who did that? Well again, that's all we care about. Okay, here we go.
Speaker 1: In the days since we did our last episode about Donald Trump, the President has renamed the Gulf of Mexico. He's announced the United States will own Gaza. He's reintroducing plastic straws, sacking thousands of federal public servants, sanctioning the International Criminal Court, negotiating between Live Golf and the PGA, releasing water from Californian dams to fight wildfires. And this is the bit that sent international markets and the Australian government into Defcon one.
Speaker 2: We will also be announcing steel tariffs on Mondays, while Monday, yuh tomorrow, pot Patris Wile has gone everybody Steell, including Canada, Eddy Steele coming into the United States is going to have a twenty five percent going to do a little bit to twenty percent.
Speaker 1: Or just like that, the President sent markets into meltdown with a new iteration of his ideas on free trade and protectionism. Last year, Australia sent about a billion dollars worth of steel and aluminium to the United States that.
Speaker 3: Would be in Australian jobs would be lost, it would be a real problem for the Australian economy and it would be a major, major bilateral issue between the two countries. So we are basically looking at a situation clear where all the things that have been speculated about the Trump administration and Australia, we will find some big answers in the next couple of days as to exactly what Donald Trump thinks of Australia, exactly what he thinks of the friendship, the alliance, and exactly how far he wants to push.
Speaker 1: Things in his first administration, Trump talked like an old school protectionist. I'm here for American jobs and tariffs are a tool to protect American manufacturing from cheap foreign imports. Last week, it looked like Trump was using tariffs as a lever a tool of political pressure. Columbia wouldn't accept military flights full of deportees, so Trump threatened a giant tariff on all Colombian goods. Trump said Canada wasn't doing enough to stop the flow of drugs like fentanyl over the border, so he slapped them with tariffs on air Force one. Trump said, any country that imposes tariffs on American goods will get a taste of its own medicine.
Speaker 2: I'll be announcing probably Tuesday, on Wednesday at a newscar forms reciprocal tariffs, and very simply, if they charge us, we charged them.
Speaker 3: Of course. In twenty eighteen, Trump tried to put tariffs on a bunch of countries for steel aliminium, exactly the same concept. He exempted Australia at that point, in part because a US has a trade surplus with Australia, so we don't fall into the category of a problem child when it comes to other countries trading with America. We have a free trade agreement, America has a healthy trade surplus, so there's not really any concept for Trump to get angry at Australia in the same way it gets angry with other countries which have a trade deficit. So that is hugely to Australia's advantage economically, quite apart from the fact that we are the closest military alliance to United States really of almost any country in the world. So there are so many arguments which the government can throw towards Donald Trump to argue for an exemption, but of course that doesn't guarantee anything.
Speaker 1: That's why Anthony Albanezi is now scrambling to get Trump on the phone. Australia's biggest steelmaker, blue Scope, which makes coloor, bond, roof and fencing sheets, has a huge steel mill in Ohio and employees about four thousand people.
Speaker 3: In theory, this be a non starter for this tariff threat from Trump to Australia because of the security and economic situation between the two countries. But you never know, that's absolutely not a guarantee with Donald Trump. Mark too. I mean, just go and ask Canada. I mean, there you have a country as friendly as you could ever be with the United States that's facing twenty five percent tariffs not just on overall, but also on their still and now luminium as well. So the friendship factor with Trump in the second term is still a very opaque one. It's very, very hard to get a reading on where America's good friends stand. And that's why it's hard to get a reading on this with Australia because we are going to come across his radar for the first time in his presidency in a big way with this policy.
Speaker 1: Coming up. Can Anthony Albanezi and his ambassador secure a deal with be ultimate deal maker? It feels like a million years ago, but it was Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull who negotiated Australia an exemption from exactly this tariff last time it was proposed. His ambassador was Joe Hockey, who famously had a kind of golf relationship with Donald Trump. They were kind of buddies. Now Anthony Albernese's ambassador in Washington, DC is Kevin Rudd, who has been very prickly about Donald Trump, and it would seem that the feeling is mutual. What do you think this says about Anthony Albanese's choice of Kevin Radd and his decision to stick with him. In the Trump administration.
Speaker 3: I think Anthony Albanese's decision to appoint Kevin Rudd was always slightly risky given and Albanese's previous criticism off Trump. But then you know, the Vice President JD. Evans criticized Trump a lot, so did Marco Rubio, the Secretary of State, So it's certainly not a disqualifying factor, and at that point in time, to be fair, Trump was not really in the picture for a second term. Look, I think that a lot of this stuff about the personalities when we talked about Albanesi and Rudd and Trump are overblown. I think that these decisions get made fundamentally on issues on realities rather than personalities. Yes, they're not of the same stripe politically as Trump compared to Malcolm Turnbull and Joe Hockey, but I mean Albanesi had a very friendly first phone call with Donald Trump. Rudd has subsequently met with Trump, is certainly very well connected to a lot of Republicans. So I think personally that these issues of politics and personality are more overblown than they should be, and that really this decision will come down to fairly hard nuts decisions about the interest of various countries, and I think Trump will be persuaded that Australia should get an exemption because it's in America's interest as much as Australia's.
Speaker 1: Something that's changed since last time Donald Trump was in the White House is the Orchest Treaty between Australia, the U, the United States and the UK, which of course involves building nuclear submarines here in Australia. How much will that play into this, if at all.
Speaker 3: Well, this actually increases Australia's leverage in this argument compared to twenty eighteen, when, of course AUCUST didn't exist. And it's quite good timing in one sense, Claire, because we've just had Richard Miles go over the Defense Minister and give several hundred million dollars towards the American nuclear submarine project. Because Australia is tipping in US three billion dollars to help the US submarine nuclear production in the United States as part of August, that is a very big selling point for Donald Trump. Now remember this is the same president who exempted Australia last time without AUCUST. So I think if you look just at the facts, there is a greater argument for Donald Trump to exempt Australia this time round than there was before.
Speaker 4: Now.
Speaker 3: The only rider I would put to this is that Donald Trump is a different president at this time round. He loves taris even more than a get in his first term. So the question is that how much does he love his tariffs. In theory, Australia should get off, but we just don't know.
Speaker 1: Cameron Stewart is The Australian's chief international correspondent. You can read all our analysis of what this means for Australian business and everyone else right now at the Australian dot com dot au