Speaker 1: She said, it's now never I got fighting in my blood.
Speaker 2: I'm tiff This is Roll with the Punches and we're turning life's hardest hits into wins. Nobody wants to go to court, and don't. My friends are test Art Family Lawyers. Know that they offer all forms of alternative dispute resolution. Their team of Melbourne family lawyers have extensive experience in all areas of family law to facto and same sex couples, custody and children, family violence and intervention orders, property settlements and financial agreements. Test Art is in your corner, so reach out to Mark and the team at www dot test Artfamilylawyers dot com dot au. So I'm and Madden. Welcome to Roll with the Punches, Tiffany.
Speaker 1: Great to be here. Thanks for the opportunity to talk to you and your followers and your zoomers whoever however they connect to her. Good to have the opportunities to talk. We've had a couple of chats, and I love what you do and I love the way you think. So I'm quite up to talking about all things about Rolling with the Punches.
Speaker 2: I've only got one concern and I've been thinking about a bit and I'm like, oh this, I just I just hope this doesn't happen. I just don't know if I'm going to be able to get you to really loosen up and talk very much.
Speaker 1: Yes, I'm a little well, I'm a little bit shyy, just just a fraction shot.
Speaker 2: We connected through through networking business networking, and you're one of those people that are just super You weren't at the first one that I attended, but you are of those people that feel really familiar and appealing and likable from the get going. By the third time, I reckon it was second or third time, I can't even remember that I'd listen to you have a band. I was like, I just I got to sit down with this bloke. I've got to have a coffee, I've got to talk, I've got to shoot the breeze one on one. And we did that, and I could have sat there for a week while.
Speaker 1: I think I think we had about forty five minutes in the door and I think it was an hour and a half. So I was quite happy, quite happy to the chat to you too. And I think now you might not have noticed I'm a little bit older than you. You might not have noticed that. But what I love is what I love is I don't want to go to the old people's home. I don't to mix with hundreds of old people. I love dealing with young people like yourself and or younger, whichever way you want to take it, and get your view on the present world, because I think it keeps me young. So great to have the opportunity.
Speaker 2: Again, You've made a great point. I have this theory. I already had this theory for Engom, my first boss when I first got a job at seventeen. She was sixty four, and I used to look at her and say, because she hangs out with all us young people at work, us younger girls, she was so young at heart, right, it kept her young. So I have sprouted that little little observation ever since. But last year, sometime I took stock of some of my closest friends and mentors and people that I spend a lot of time with, and little did I realize that quite a lot of them were almost sixty or beyond, so quite significantly older than me. Yet they feel like a pack of kids. Look I feel like a kid. I definitely think they are like a kid. And then I thought to myself. That doesn't really ring true with that theory. I've been sprouting my whole life that you've got to hang out with younger people to keep you young.
Speaker 1: But when you're young, you know you're already are young, right, so you're younger, so you're right there. But yeah, when you get to the you know, tony a number, But I'm sixty seven, so excuse me, I'm going to swear I can be I can officially be a grumpy of bastard there, right, that's why I could. You're alad to get there, not that I'd get it, but you're had to get the bench and allowed I sort of retire, allowed it. And I keep saying no, no, no, life too short even if and this you know this one of my philosophies. Life is short and then you die. Now that's it. That's there, And you can layer anything else on that, right, you can put your beliefs and your world and all that, but that's a fact. You know, life is short and then you die. And if you live to be one hundred in the history of the world, that's just a blink. So why why do you spend your time being negative? Why do you spend your time being aggressive? Why do you spend your time, you know, being old or getting older growing? So I'm really big on you know, while you've got your time on earth, do the best you can. And I think you know you're content of rolling with the punches are really resonated with me because it's the fact that if you've never made a mistake, you really haven't been doing much. Have you never have been trying things? So is it a mistake that you dwell and oh my god? Or is it somebody I learned from that? What do I learn from that? What would I do different next time? What am I going to do different next time? So rolling with the is a really really important thing of your day to life. And you know, I live I live on sort of. I suppose confidence, conviction and courage is one of the things I talk to people about having confidence in something, having conviction of about it, and have the confidence to have a go with it. And I really think that, you know, you really have to attack life. I suppose that's the best way to do it, you know. And I really get a lot of I get a lot of joy out of building people up and helping building people up. And I just I don't like to deal with people who build themselves up by cutting other people down, and a lot of that in the modern world. And you know, I've got to I've got to be I've got to be really important on Instagram. I've got to be really important the world. And if I get there on my own volition, great, but if I get there by cutting other people a down or to go, look, really, I don't really want to know you, So you know, for your life with good people, and now I know sometimes you've got to deal with hardships, and people have hardships, and another whole thing about the mental health issues and a lot of young people, what a lot of people have got and you have to help those people. But part of that is building them up, not cutting them down, you know, help them getting through the problems that they have. And I just know that I've dealt with some people at the time being very thankful that I've had that philosophy of my life that I've been trying to build them up and help help them that way. And I think, you know, your concept of rolling with the punches is a really great idea because you know, I think I remember a lady said to me once now I work with it with Sue Barrett. She's does a lot in a lot in sales, and she said once to me, you know sometimes courage. Sometimes courage is just getting going to bed and having your sleep and getting up the next day. You know, you sort of order or went to dish today. What I do about that? Let's just go have a good rest and come up the next day and have the courage to keep going. So, as you notice, I've taken over the conversation. Sorry it's differently.
Speaker 2: Oh blood, I love it. But you know what, last night I did a podcast with an academic on courage specifically because I was going down a thought rabbit hole myself. So I love that you brought that up because I was like, what I love going on thought tangents, and I was going in my mind before you went on your little tangent, I thought, what I want to ask you what your own personal I guess thought tangents are at the mom Do you have anywhere you're like, you know what this particular thing or perspective or process that has got my attention right now? And do you chase things down a rabbit hole like that?
Speaker 1: Usually go down a rabbit hole there's lots of times, so you know, I'll find like I'll find just for example, I'll find a song I like on YouTube right now, and I've got there's a couple of guitars, the and I used to be in a band and all this. So I find a song I like, and then you go down the rabbit hole. How many people have done that song? What's a different version of that song? Oh, they've got another version. Oh there's a new artists. And all of a sudden, you just keep going down and it's great because you find new music that way. You know. There's a whole lot of things I've been looking at recently, and I suppose with the I suppose with the election on in Victoria. In Victoria that I'm looking at, you know, what's the you know, have we lost the truth? There's so many people, so many people trying to pitch this and politicians are very good. And Ross Stevenson is a fellow I know who's on three W and I try to listen to him as much as I can, and he's very smart and he's very funny man. But he made a point and he said, you know, and there was a few weeks ago and he made the point. I thought, fair enough, here are these politicians on all sides. I'm not barracking for anybody here. What they do is they you know, taxes for three years and then spend the tax trying to get a three you know, trying to get re elected. And I'm really big on now, you know, tell the truth because if you tell the truth, you don't have to have a memory tell lies in who do I tell over there? And that's a little bit and I've got to and show that concept of you know, let's just get down to the tree. And you know, with AI now, with Instagram, with X with all those social media I think they're great and they're but they're just tools like this. This is this is a great tool. You know, we could do all the organization and going meetings we are and setting up in a studio and all this. We can do this over the computer, but it's only a tool. Doing this isn't going to make a conversation any better. It might make it a bit easier to do rather than run around, but it's only a tool to do. So. You know, a lot of people are using tools, but they're using them to not tell the truth or push their agenda or as I say, cut people down when they should be building people up. So I think that's what's what's in my truth. You know, the three there's two, there's three sides of the truth. Your side of the truth, my side of the truth, and something between that is. So you know, I just try and be I suppose honest with the people I deal with and you and you can be you can be you can be hard. You can be good critic, but you can be a harsh critic. You know. Excuse me, We're going to be careful that on Trigerty. But I can say to something, Gez, you're fat. I could say, gee, what's your exercise Raim? Like these days? Do you exercise? Do you have a diet? And one is in one is sort of being I'm telling you what to do rather than I'm sort of asking about how and get some information out of you to get you to think a little bit differently. And I think that's yeah, So I'm trying to work on the truth whatever whatever that is is one of my little things forgot at the moment.
Speaker 2: That's a that's a big topic, isn't it, Because it's like what is the truth? It shifts, doesn't. It depends on where you stand.
Speaker 1: But it's interesting to look like in the media, and just for example, in the media and social media too. Now used to deal with experts, So and you have an expert and you deal with facts. Now a lot of times you deal with opinion. Yes I think, I believe, and you're allowed to say anything you like after that, and so the facts start to get facts starting to get pushed out of the way. I mean, you know, look, you're I know you're a fit person, you really work on I'm looking after yourself. But there's a whole lot of so called experts on the internet, on Facebook, on LinkedIn, on excerpts. I say, all the social media, on WhatsApp, who's spout ideas about health and fitness and they don't have a backing for it. You know, they are pushing a brand of milk or a brand of whatever other product they want to make money out of. Find But let's let's get back to what's what's real. And I've had I had to do a talk recently about for a group of people, and I brought in the concept of a sporting group. And I'm talking about the concept or three parts of your health. Right that don't cost you anything, so you don't have to go and by product, well none sort of sort of costs you but not really. So just move before you even get to exercise. Movement cut movement out of our life, right, so we don't We don't stand up and cook, We sit down, watch chelling and get uber delivered. We don't even walk down a car to go and get take away. Take away comes. It's not even takeaway anymore. It's delivery, isn't it. It's not even here, it's delivered here, so as I think it's American terms. So people are cutting movement out of their life right now. If I if I go into town, and when I say Melbourne my hometown, and there's always escalat, I go to the right and walk up. It's fair shaped and I walk up where people stand on the escalator and just stand. And now I say, well, you still can walk. And now I know older people might not be on the balance exception, but if you can walk once you walk up to them. So movement is really important even before we get the exercise. The other one is water. The whole parts of different parts of the body of made up of different parts of water. Depending on what part you know your hearts, you own your liver a difference, So get water into There's research to show that if you ever saw back, of which is the old sportsman here, being dehydrated can actually make your back hurt. So drink water. And the other one we don't two with is deep breathing exercises actually probly you know, when somebody says, you know, just take your breath, settle down, you can actually practice out. I mean most of us shallow breathe up the top of our loans where you actually really have to use you there are you drinking your water? Good? Excuse me, I'll have a drink of my water while I'm hurt. That's just what it's good. It's good and practicing deep breathing. And we could do it. I won't it need but you have a hand on your chest and you'll ow it and you ab them. You don't breathe your shoulders. You're breathing with seven hole for seven, breathe out in three and as whole out three out, two and a half dozen times, and people actually feel calm and doing it. Now those three you know, Okay, you've got to pay the water bill. Somewhere, but realistically, those three things are very cheap. And then everybody's telling you to do all these take all these products. Now, medicine is very important, you know, we do. Some people need you know, kneed pills and need direction, and I see doctor regulars and get nother make sure I see you know, I keep up on the help. But we don't orderly automatically have to take something. When you've got a headache, you know, you drink water, or you go outside and breathe fresh air can actually change it. You don't have to take a couple of paincts. Now. They might need to get there eventually, but sometimes, you know, I said, we don't move, We don't. We don't practice deep breathing, we don't breathe properly, and our first choice of getting better is a pill or a tonic or something where I you know, I'm really big on making sure that you're in charge of your life, you in charge your body. You know, I believe I'd rather believe an expert in something rather than somebody says they're an expert and doesn't have the pridge or somebody's got a viewpoint so back, you know, what's the truth about yourself, what's the truth about your life, what's the truth about your health and fitness? You know, I just think that's it's really important, and not to over complicate it. There's only three things you can do. You can do them every day and you'll feel better for it. Of course, the other one, you know, then you're go into diet and sleep and friendships and all that and connection and family and all that. But there's three things you can do that don't cost you any money.
Speaker 2: One of my pet hates is the use of the doctor title from two standpoints.
Speaker 1: One.
Speaker 2: Now, I'll preface this by saying, the two people that are in charge of my body and wellness are actually chiropractice. But I won't call them chiropractice, but that's what they're trained in, which is annoying. But chiropractice is this happened on socials all the time. Chiropractice that a doctor someone, but then their whole profile is spouting bullshit about something completely. There's one doctor, chiropractic doctor bloke that does it, and he's talking about ADHD and I'm like, I don't know, you put that doctor, whoever you are, and it's not relevant to the ship, So you're pretending that you're a doctor of fucking some sort of psychology or psychiatry when not. Or people that have done a PhD in something and then they're again they're specializing in something else. It's like, well, that's not fucking relevant, is it. It's I have.
Speaker 1: That's why I don't. I love your honesty, I love your passion. But it's true, and you know you can be you can know more and more, you can know more and more, you know more and more about something, you know everything about nothing, or you can realize and know the's lots and lots and lots of little things about nothing at all. Either, So you stay within your line. I supposing another one too, you know, stay with it. I don't I go, you know, I don't go and see what would I say a foot doctor if I've got a bad back, Like so those people are very important. Everybody's important. Yeah, I think that's thing about the to know what's the truth, go back to what's the truth. And looking after yourself. Always say to people, you know, just part of looking after yourself, and it's really important in the modern world. I think if you're on a plane and they're doing when you get on a plane and they're doing the safety instructions. What do I say when they talk about the oxygen masks.
Speaker 2: On yourself first.
Speaker 1: Before we can help the person next to you. Put yours. Think in a plane, you know, to an oxygen mask, So you don't put yours on your trying to help somebody in new faith, you're not going to help them. Great analogy, put yours on first, look after you, and then you can help the person ext to it. So a lot of times part of that health is mothers. Mothers that can be terrible at it, as in very good at it. In the terrible, they look after everybody else, accept themselves. Parents can do that. We know we've got grandkids now. So I look at new parents looking strongt I go look, and they look, and they look, and I go, get sleep. I said, you know in some countries they use sleep deprivation as a torture. And you'll take and you'll get the stage. You'll get to the kids say take this little ship and give me idea of sleep. And after that, I said, you give my beautiful litt kid back. You've got to look after yourself so I can look after others. And that's why you know, even simply know I just take deep breast relaxed before you go anywhere, except you're getting up on stagey. I'm sure you do presentations before you get the stake. A couple of deep breaths just to relax yourself.
Speaker 2: A little bit of shadow boxing made actually a shadow, a little bit of shadow boxing.
Speaker 1: No breath here might be the shadow. Get hurt.
Speaker 3: That's funny, Like I've I know you're background, and I remember when we when I for those who don't, I played AFL for you a long long time.
Speaker 2: You know, you'd tackle my punches to the ground. I'd have no open.
Speaker 1: We used to have a boxing coach and they we used to do three rounds of three minutes for the gloves. You know. But that was and then thought, sometimes you find that you had to do the right and let we do three three minutes three minute round three three minute rounds with the gloves. And he's really good at you. You'd be dugging at the end. I think, hang on, you go to other bed. We're going to ring and somebody punching back while I'm doing this.
Speaker 2: Oh mate, You've got no idea. You know what dropped down to the gym with me one day and we'll just do We'll just do some light rounds just so I experienced the level up of that.
Speaker 1: I'd have trouble. I have trouble holding them up. Literally, I just.
Speaker 2: I just jumped in and did some sparring. I'm going to say this for my listeners that are aware of this, for their benefit. I did a couple of rounds of sparring for it with a bloke he's been on the show before, Ben Pettingill, and he's an absolute legend blind. He has two percent vision, ninety eight percent blind. We did a few rounds of sparring because he was doing this event up in Queensland, podcast Royal, a big boxing event for podcasts, and there's going to be seven blokes in the ring, the rest of them blindfolded and him and they having this blind boxing match. He broke someone's ribs boom. I was like that a boy, that's my boy.
Speaker 1: Well it's the leg isn't it interesting? So just on that you can say I'm blind and I can't do anything, yeah, or I'm blind and what am I going to do? You know? It's that's that's really important to me, is it's you know the other thing, it's not what happens to you, it's had your handle what happens to you. Yeah, in the in the sport world in Melbourne, Neil Denaher got him not Neuron desserts right, and I played with him. A great man. He's become Australian in the year like it's only about three years too late. He sent it, but I always remember he could have, you know, he got m D. And I remember a statement he said, why would I expect anybody else to do something if I don't do something? So the negative viewpoint all I've got and I'm going to sit here and anybody's going to help me. He got up, and they've raised me and and means and dells because he wouldn't and he calls it the beast. He's fighting it, you know, it's a real fight against it. And I just thought that's an amazing attitude that everybody else could have said, O Paul made poor mate, and he said and he won't. He probably won't see the outcome of all them. But there's a whole lot of research, a lot of trials happening that wouldn't have happened. They're all meeting going in the right direction. He's been alive seven and a half years with your own disease, and most people go within two and a half of the most Even his whole attitude about how he attacks it is I just think fabulous, and I've done I've done a little bit of help with some fundraising for it, but in small ways. But I just yes, it's not what happens to you. How do you handle that? And you're talking about your your blind box? Who al on blind but cheese. I can steal box and I can break them.
Speaker 2: And it's it's that perspective, like the first thing I saw were all of the things and it feels, it felt weird, and it was weirdly received sometimes when I was telling people, hey, he's got some real when it comes to boxing and teaching it technically as deeply as I do, I go, he's got some real advantages that shone through straight away. He is not distracted by the visuals. His chin doesn't rise. He landed body shots. You don't get many novices landing body shots because they're hard to land because you get in there and there are heads in the way and it's hard to get to the body. He just knows because he doesn't have to see all that. He's only got the feeling of what's going on. And there is an advantage, though I would not be choosing two percent vision just to be just to get a couple of a couple of good body shots. But it's interesting, isn't it. And it's the legacy that like, it's the legacy that Neil is leaving for all the people. And he'll never know, he'll never know, but that's changing the world. Same with Benny. People watched on People Watch just a thirty second reel that he posted and have talked to me about it. I don't even know him, and they are just going, I'm so inspired. Yeah, that's amazing.
Speaker 1: That's the thing, and that's what I suppose. That's one of the things too, is I grew up playing a team sport and I love team sport, and boxing to a certain extent, is an individual sport, but you do have a team around you. That's starting. The tennis player who played individual tennis talks always talked about the team around them. So I've become team involvements because you know, you get you can inspire other people. Other people inspire you, and speaking you know, speaking to parents, I say to them, get you get your child involved in team sport. But they're not sporting. I go, all right, well, there's the choir, there's the band, there's the theater group, there's the dance group. Something where we're in this together. And I think, with a lot of you know, I see And maybe I'm getting too deepig meaningfull as I get older, but I see, you know, young young man. Now a big problem in Victoria to about the crime rate and young men running around with sjetties and stealing cards. There's a fact that whole research shows that young men will take risks right when the test roone kicks in, or even before that, if they've got people around them with the test rone kicking in, they will take risks. So why don't you put your kids into situations where they have to take a risk and when they it's the big thing. You know. One of my philosophies is if you don't understand the struggle, you'll never understand the success. You don't have to go through the struggle yourself. It helps. But if you see people struggling and you see how they succeed, and you see what happens and so you get them. One of the great things about playing sport is you lose and you get over yourself. Something out boxing, you lose and you have to go back next week. You get on the theater in the stage with Thindy. If you get your lines, you're playing a band. You mess up the lines and guess what, you wake up the next morning and keep going. So it's about you know, we're going to take risks. It's about directing people into the right risk and risks that's not too dangerous but actually helps you build yourself up. Just tell me about the first time you got to the ring when someone on the other side just got to punch back. How did you feel about that? I mean, the first time you do it. You do a lot of training, but there's what about the risk you take when that happens.
Speaker 2: It's beyond words. And the thing about boxing that I remember from those first fights because I did it in an environment where it was white collar boxing, so we were all most of us were having our first fights. Some people might have had one of them before before, so we're all in it together in the unknown. And so you see this version of everybody on the bags training. You see that version of they are, how hard they train, what they know, how quick they pick up techniques, And then you see a version in the first few sparring sessions, and that person can be a different person, and then you see a third person on the night in the ring. Because when you put adrenaline in the system and people put them in front of people, they will either rise to it and become different, or they will capitulate, or they will just sidestep and just perform differently. They might be the same level of what you've seen, but that you just go. I remember girls to train with and she was a real brawler in training and really like just all over you. And then you'd get her on fight day and she was just clean and popping these shots and movement. It was like, I wish it'd spa me like that.
Speaker 1: You're right, but that's thing about you know, like you know, you do lots, you know, do lots of training, and when you're football are lots of training. It's really the first the first practice match, you've done all this, you've done match simulation, You get in a game, then somebody bumps in and hit the ground. You jump up, you got to run again. You've got to chase, you got to kick it. All of a sudden, you're breathing so heavily. Go oh yeah, this is real. For all the other stuff is practicing, and so I watching. You know, you can be practicing, but then you get in there and you've got to be in the moment. You've got to be now now, not not not laughing now. All that helps with your confidence and your technique and you know, et cetera. But it's got to be done now, moment by a second by second. So there is a big difference. And I remember playing football with the bloke he said he couldn't play football in front of the crowd. He played in the second thessident and then we got on there and the US they used to have the seconds before the first, right, so there was not much crowd and the crowd to build up over the game. And they'd finished just before the senior sided, so there'd be a big crowd on the last quarter. He said, I'm all right at the start, I can't play. I can't play in front of people. I thought, well, you're not going to have a career. Ay. Just it was that, because you know, I mean, I remember we're talking the other Day who I got an interview because it's fifty fifty, so quickly fifty since I got the first end Jack Day game, I was seven a fifty years and I remember seventy you know, seventy seven thousand, seven hundred and seventy people. I was seven, aeen. I kicked six guys. There were seventy seven thousand, severyone and seventy people. I said, if I kicked one more goal and seven more people turned up, all the sevens would have lined up beautiful. And I remember after really loving plant, you know, because if you have the success around of a big crowd, that sort of nice motivation to do it again. I remember months later on running out at Waverley and a lot of young people wouldn't even know that existed. Now that was a big, big, big ground, and they said I was probably going to be about sixty thousand, right, And I remember running out looking around disappointing and oh, there's only about forty thousand of there. Because it rained, you know, getting getting used to being successful, and I don't don't have also in front of one hundred thousand people, given the right handball to the right person in the right place, and the right time, in the right call, the wrong jumper and where you can go and you want the MCD to open up and swallow. And you said, all right, well, I've got to go to the next center Abountle to do something. And that's about you know, and that's that we know that word resilience people and a lot of people bandy it around. To be resilient, you've got to fail and get over it, you know, Michael Michael Jordan talks about you know, ailing thousands of time, that's why he was so good, or all these people. If you if you never make a mistake, I said, if you never make a mistake, you're not trying hard enough. What you learn from a mistake. And if you know one's a mistake too, is a pattern three shouldn't happen. If you just keep repeating it, then you haven't learnt anything. So I really think that that word resilience keeps coming up and people want to talk about raising resilient kids. You never give him a chance to fail, so they don't build up, you know, they don't build up this resision. It's okay to fail and overcome it. And a big word, it's a small word. It's A big word in my vocability is yet just why see right, Because if you say I can't do it, if it a will, you say I can't do it yet, there's still a lot of time to get up to the I can do it. But as soon as you say that statement I can't do it, it stops. It stops you writing your place. So that yet is understanding you're not there yet, But that yet means yeah, but I can move on and get him improving it better. And that's in the workplace, that's in relationships, that's in sport, in the ring, outside of the ring, whatever. I might not be able to do it yet, but give me the opportunity to work forward and work harder. And I've seen some of the failure understand it. I've had failing yourself. I said, if you don't understand the struggle, you don't understand success. You took about any world champion in any any boxing match, or any boxing career over all the years of boxing has been around. You talked about any of them understanding the struggle. They'll all understand the struggle the training they do that you know, maybe I broken hand at some stage, or maybe you know I saw ribs or what. I'll understand the struggle, and that helps with understanding the success. And that can be done inside the workplace, outside the workplace, inside the ring, outside, inside the arena, outside the arena.
Speaker 2: Remember when I was earlier, early on in my boxing, I was having a little winge to my trainer. I was like, it's not fair, Like I want to be active and I want to do this sport and I get the ship knees and all the injury there is, all the eff and time, every single fight there was some ship going on, a crook neck, a bugget shoulder. I tore my lame room. I had ship knees all the time. I was always out and I had a wings and he goes, mate, that's everyone, and that's because you're doing it. One escapes that. But he did used to call me the race horse because I was always injured and in the paddic.
Speaker 1: It's your thorough bread, your thoroughbred. You're right on the edge, right.
Speaker 2: That's it. But it got to the point where he said, mate, some of us are bread for racing and some of us are bread to be brood meres. And I was like, you go, oh, you look out mate, Yeah, you're playing with.
Speaker 1: Fire, and I've said, you know, and that's how a lot of people understand. Like with football, I've seen people have the taller and everybody knows I can play. Their body says they can't, and that's the real. But I've all seen people walk away from the sport with the head held high cards they've given it their best shot.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 1: Now if they haven't given it their best shot, that's different. But I've seen people have really really good short careers and you can see the talent and their body says, no, I can't do it. Three knee injuries or you know, da da da da da du too many concussions or whatever. But at least they've given it their best shot. And there's I think you should be really proud of that. But it's different when somebody says and whatever is. People have said to me, I could have whatever it was, I could have been a box. I could have been a football if only I had of and then I stopped listening. That's different. You know, I could have been a football, except I've only if I had two legs. Okay, I could understand that, but there's still you know or you know or I've got a. You know, I dislocated the shoulder, and you know, as a kid that keeps dislocating. And I've had full up price. I can understand that. But there's other big people say I could have if only I had of which means they didn't. And it's not about it's not about the physicality. It's about I didn't train hard enough. I didn't put in hard enough. I didn't work hard enough, you know, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera.
Speaker 2: Is it It's interesting I in my lady years, like I see that now I see those parts, but I go but I have a different perspective. It's like an appreciation. And it also it brings you back down to a level where it's like, oh cood, But it doesn't like if it doesn't mean anything, it doesn't matter. It doesn't mean like I know, based on the times I've taken up running, if I put time into that, I've got some talent. I've got something there physically that if I put time in, I could be good. I was good as when I was young, but I was a smoker at fourteen, so I didn't really give a toss but I had, Yeah, I gave it up but didn't do anything with it. And my older years when I've had a crack and like I'll go out and I'll do some awesome times and it's like, yeah, but cool, but it just doesn't mean anything to me at the moment. Maybe one day I'll take it up and it'll have meaning, but it doesn't mean I'm shit for not doing it. But it doesn't mean I'm amazing for doing it.
Speaker 1: No cry. And this is one of the things I'm very big on. Like, you know, people people say, oh, it's a great football. Now, let's not know that's you know that people have said that, No say to you you say, you know, always strange. I'm very good at taking compliments. So somebody says, jeez, you're good at something you don't. Oh no, I'm not. Yes, thank you very much. It's appreciation, you see that, But so do you great football. That doesn't make me better than anybody else or worse than anybody else. What it does make me good football. I haven't done that for a long time, you know that aspect of And you know, I really talk in saying in the workplace, but in life I talk about care and especially in the workplace, and key you know, if if somebody rubs you on the shoulder and goes, oh, you'll be right now. Care But care is c ire, consideration, affirmation, respect, and empathy. So consideration, affirmation, respecting, empathy is real care within the workplace. And if you've got a coach, if you've got a trainer, if you've got somebody helping you, you've got a doctor, you've got whoever helps you in your sports saite or they've got real care about you, You'll see it, you'll feel it, you'll understand it, and I'll help you do better. So showing care for other people properly is really really important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, what I'm interested in how long did you play food? And how are were you when you're retired?
Speaker 1: So I was, It was a long time ago. I vaguely remember. Now. I was sixteen when I played six day when I played in the first game with Escedence, So I was in year eleven. So I started. I played for the school on school and now listen, we can't be done. Now play for the school on Wednesday and the same burnod as a school I went. So I played for so Bernards on Wednesday and on Saturday, which is amazing thing. And then I played for nine one years and I was thirty four thirty four, and that's when the body got the breakdowns. You think you can play forever. You can surely think you can be, you know, world everyway, chieving for the rest of your life, but somewhere along and you can't. And you have to understand that. And so again, if you just give it your best shot, then you walk around and go, well, I go the best shot. So nine one years round and seventy five games in a lot of accoages is great Premiership space and fairest a norm Smifth medal, which is for the best plan of Grand Final, you know, and in Melbourne, you know, like you've got to be You've got to be realistic about it. Australia is point three percent of the world's population on a good count, right, three point three percent, So the world have no idea that I played football, right, that's the idea of the world, right, So you just got to make sure. But you know, if you get the opportunity, you take it. That's the best. You know. If you give it your best shot and it doesn't work, at least you hold your head up because you said, you know, you know you've got to your best shot. But it was you know, all those things, the injuries. You know, I was lucky, I didn't have a lot of injuries, but the terminology just you know, ball hit down, the bone, stuck out there, the type of thing you know, hit a bloke, snove, got knocked out, spent a night in Perth hospital. Those things are things that get in the winter that just started to go a little bit stop. So hopefully that makes sense.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what when you left, when you when you were played your game and you walked out the door, what where did you sit with your identity? And was that a struggle where you like, who am I if I'm not the football?
Speaker 1: That's a really good point. I think you can. I think I did a bit, not not too much, but I think you look back and you going toe. You remember you're thirty four when you retire, normally retire you talk about sixty five, seventy seven, you know, you retire from work and your young fit. I think the fittest I was when I was thirty five because I was still training and kept myself. That didn't hit anybody, hit anybody else, So nothing hurts but info, you know, I tot a handsring off the bone, and so you know, you don't in some ways you don't have to make the decision yourself. Your body makes a decision. But then you go, well, you know, you're introduced as you know, Simon the Maden the for footballer, and then then you sign An Edward. So what is your you know, who is your identity? And I think a lot of I've seen a lot of people struggle with that, and I didn't think so at the time, but I look back, go, yeah, there was a time there when well, who am I and what am I going to do? Luckily I had other things. I was a teacher back then. I've run my own business for twenty years and I was a teacher back then. So I went back into teaching and really put effort into that. And then I had a couple of iTunes and I moved into the business world. But I was really fascinated with helping people do better, get better. So business coach facilitator, just helping people understand what it's like to be have a consistent high performance.
Speaker 2: Now, hang on a minute, you start footy at sixteen, When the hell did you become a teacher? We mean you went back to teaching. We know what happened.
Speaker 1: So now this is the thing it's about. I think it's the reality of back then. So I put things in perspective. My first season was in the last year of black and white TV. I'm not talking about the I'm not talking about the color of the cabinets, the color of the screen, right with So back then it was three nights a week after five o'clock and Saturday afternoon training. So it was very much part time. It got more professional, professional than it had trouble trying to fit a job in with it, and now you know completely. You might have some little side side, a hustle at a part time job. Keep you saying, but you you know, and you just had to fit because we're married. We've got four kids. That had two kids and I wouldn't see them most of the week. I wouldn't see them. So you put them a bed on Sunday night. Then Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday would be work training, work training, work training, work training, come on Frida, you work Friday, see them at Friday night, then play footy on a Saturday. Maybe seeing Satday night. But you probably socially in because they didn't really socialize any other night. So, you know, my wife and I both teach. So I said, well, I'll start home for two days, and then i'll start home for four and then I'll start just a short period. And I said, it wasn't a great career and teaching, but it was. It was good for footing because you could put more time, but it was also good to see kids you actually can make it, you know, I was. I was spending more you know the old not just quality time. I was spending quality and quantity time with them. So you know, that's the thing. We've got to look a little bit different about your situation. It's just because everybody else does something one way doesn't mean you have to. And so yeah, that was to the point in the end, it was just too hard to do anything else but play footing, and so you're trying to struggle to fit that in. But then after, you know, when I finished, I went back to teaching because that was a job and it was good to throw yourself into it. But then I got a couple offers and I moved into business. And then somebody said I you should be a business coach one stage, and I said, whin. He went, oh, okay, that makes sense. And at that stage I had some very good examples of leadership, and I had some very bad examples of leadership. And I remember saying to myself, yeah, I'm tired. I worked for some great people, but I was in a couple of positions and I said, yeah, I'm tired of work with the dickead. I'll just go and work for myself on the dick. That's right.
Speaker 2: If I'm going to work for a nick head and.
Speaker 1: The other thing I've made, you notice that I'm really important in the modern rules. Don't lose your sense of human humor can be you know, I think humans humor is an intelligence, lots of intelligence. So other people where they take this it's not funny, they take that that's not funny. That's put them big, and they're very funny. So you got to really work on And I think it's important that yeah, laughing, laughing is laughing is good medicine. And actually you're laughing actually increasing doorphins that exercise does as well. So it's an important part of keep yourself fitting happy.
Speaker 2: And in twenty twenty five, do you find that people are still You're still Simon Madden the footy player, because Australia really holds high regard for the excellent footy players, and you're one of the excellent.
Speaker 1: No, thank you. It's an interesting one because I'm older there, know, I work close there in the station, so I do a lot of public transport, right, So you get on the train in the morning and there's a lot of people have no idea who I am, right because they're all young. You know, I forget it was a long time ago, right, But every now and then you find somebody, somebody think, how are you great? You know, like every now and then that still comes out, and most people are really good. Every now and you get a drunk he wants to tell you how to play football thirty years old. But most people are good. But yes, you still get it. You still get it. And but a friend of mine who's in the media, made a good point. He said, you know football, football is the currency of the city, which is a really interesting way to put it. You know, people, one of the worst things in say in Melbourne is I don't back for footy team, which is not good. Or you start back for Adelaide Cras and you never lived there. You know you have to have to Melbourne and follow Melbourne team. If you said I'm back for laid Cris because I grew up there, that's different. But the worst thing is so I don't have a footy team. I remember work. I remember working years ago and the I t were with a lovely young lady from I Saidney, and didn't know anything about footy. And there was the you gathering around the water cooler on Monday morning type thing, you know, one of those medew They started anze the footing I should go on and joined. So I got no idea. And it was a time when James Heird was a captain of s and a great play with Essen and had had broken it broke his face. He's running to me and sort of broke all of this had a huge and so she didn't even know that either. And I said, go into the walk in and just ask the question, what do you think about James Hurd's injury. So she walked to the little group and you could all see the blakes. You know what's fretty sort of stuffing You're watched you doing it. She just said, what do you think of James Hurd's injury? Well, the conversation just took off. Everybody had an opinion. Everybody that she started turned around him and I went, there you go, you just gotta know one to two things. I love that, as I said, I yeah, I realized that the world is much bigger than football. But you know, if you find something you like, you know, Gali hella, you know, if it's boxing, if it's music, if it's if it's football, it's sport, if it's investments, if it's what, if it's just get a good shot, come give it a good shot. You know, do your research, to your homework, learn from every mistake you made, try not to make too many, and try not to keep making.
Speaker 2: The same mistake, make the same mistake.
Speaker 1: Yeah, just keeping your head on the wall and wonder why it's still hurts, you know, like that. So it's yeah, it's important that. Yeah, you still get you still get notice sober it's it's it's nice. But sometimes just the funny things that happened. So with my wife and Ima and I were in Barcelona right for in Barcelona and Sunday night we're going on a food and mine to it, So walking food and WNE to it, which I thought started a bit like this in that it was fantastic and it's about I suppose fourteen seven couples. And so the tour guy turns up from from Germany. Where you from? You know, America? This fake said, look, I'm from Australia. But that like there he played for in the ASL, right to all these Europeans. I've got no idea. What so you played? Soarker? I said, Now I didn't play SoC Well you played Rugmany. I didn't play rugby NFL. Now I played APHL. What's I for? Then you've got to spend ten minutes? So I get out of video. I look, there's me run around the ground. Okay, put it there. Let's go and do wine and food. Right, So, every now and then you can explain and run like that. Luckily there's listen listening. There's a listen listening. But every now and then you still get you know, you can still get pushed up in front of the line because someone knows. I'm very aware of my privilege. You know, I'm very aware of that. So try not to overdo it. You know, somebody, you know, every now and then you'll go to the bar with some friends and somebody buy your be a simon, he's a thanks very much for all your foot you and that's lovely, you know, things like that. It's nice to be remembered that way. But yeah, I'm sort of I've moved on a little bit. I love that.
Speaker 2: One of the things I've developed a real appreciation for is doing things that are unlike me, doing things that are different. And I feel like when you talked about how football used to be a lot more part time, I think there's a gift in that because you were able to have other things and other identities within that. Like I just started piano a couple of months ago. I'm never touched to anything musical in my life.
Speaker 1: I show your fingers because a couple of mine have bent.
Speaker 2: Yeah, see that one that's buckled right, See that that Once I went to one single a f l W training match. I touched the ball twice. I double dislocated both of those knuckles and was never able to straighten or fully bend that finger ever.
Speaker 1: Again, that's not too bad on a piano, but this one, so that one right right now. If you want to be you know, if you want to be a sports person, especially you want to be a footballer, don't be a contempanist. If you want to be a contempanist, don't be a football I don't marry up very well. But that's good, tough, long learning. So I'm a little bit. I'm a little bit. It's like this month or this week, this month. I learned French for four years at school, right, and was terrible. And we went to French last year for a wedding, so I started relearning the French. So I've been relearning French. So and I got to bonjour, excuse me, does some more just for Australia path and so basically said, I'm Simon from australd. I don't speak French and that's how would you like me to speak English? Because mostly they do. So it's a great introduction. But there's a thing, you know, like keeping your mind alive as well as your body along, yes, is really important. So trying something new, you know. So I still play the guitar. My fingers were a bit sore for a while, you know, like I had a quarters on injection there to because I would, you know, this one month straight and then so this one month curl and that one wouldn't curl.
Speaker 2: But you sort of Hell the hell are you playing guitar with those things?
Speaker 1: Very badly.
Speaker 2: That was part of the reason why I didn't choose to because that thing is just not I was like, it gets in the way on the keys, but it really wouldn't.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you've got it. You've got a nice little because you've got to have art fingers piano piano lessons. So I realized that guitar was a bit. It's very hard carrying a piano around with you. You've got a nice little curve in that finger, so I shouldn't be too bad to be able.
Speaker 2: To until you don't want that one to be touched in the key. When you want that to be the one that's lifting up, and it's when it won't get out of the way. I'm like, Okay, this is annoying, but.
Speaker 1: You've got to. Yeah, you've got to. I think if we can get you know, it's it's great being comfortable. You've got to push yourself every now and then, and sometimes just pushing yourself of going for a little while is really good. You know, when I play golf, I'm really pushing myself out of my comfort zone. Terrible, So you do I think it's good. It's good for the mind's good for the body.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, what's next for you?
Speaker 1: Look, I have a good problem, right, So, as I said, I'm sixty seven, so it's and I don't like the word retirements. I didn't like with footy. So the problem I had is a good problem. How much work do I want to do? How much work don't I want to do? How much time I want to spend with my grandkids. We've got to hold our house down the peninsula. How much do I want to spend there? So we went overseas for the first time in five years because of COVID last year. We like traveling. So what's just working out the right balance? You know, like where we met, going to the network? Business network means how much do I want to continue a network to get business that type of thing. So it's a good problem to have. I know people have retired and they just they said, I don't know how I fit of work in it's magnificent, you know. And I know other people who've retired. I say, here you going. They look at you like, you know, the kangaro and the headlights going. I don't know what I'm doing, you know. So it's what and yeah, what's the right balance for your life? And that's a good I think it made its good. It's a good problem I've got at the moment. You know, see how we go because everything and then they roll out the old football at to talk somewhere. You know, I've got to get I've got to In June, I've going up to Breaking Hill speak up there at a weekend and a reunion for old people for weekend. I did a business business talk for a council last was last week. Things like that are good. You know, I've been to Breaking Hell three times, I think years ago. I think that's there's only four football clubs in Broken Hills. I think this must be the one unburned. So it's and it's a fascinating place to get to. But you know, things like that, Yeah, just uh, just finding the right balance that suits me is and I'm getting there. I think it's you know, it's very good. Meeting lovely people like you were doing this type of thing is really good. That's a good. Yeah, you said that's a good thing for me, meeting new people. It's and you know, I think you said we connected. I think we connect because I love your attitude, you know, like you're let's get up and do something. Let's go and get it. You know, let's go and do it. And I think a lot of people can spend too much time sitting down thinking and I do that, I overthink it. But also that you know, spend too much time on the on the computer game and you know, so it's you know, just getting up and doing anything, going going, have you have a go, have a red hot go. And I think for anybody to get in the boxing ring and be prepared to get somebody punched in the nose, you sort of go beep and you say, well, you've got to give yourself, you know, if you're not good at it, don't do it for too long.
Speaker 3: At it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, even if you've got really but you know, you think about how and I know people have done boxing training and they might never be in a fight, which is fantastic, but it gives them confidence. What you confidence, mind, confidence, speaking, confidence, posture, confidence, It's a whole lot of things that it can help with. And so I think it's really important that you know what's well, you know, it's a bit of a cliche, but what's the best version of yourself? And that's something that's never perfect. You got to keep you, You got to keep working on how can I know, how can I be a better person to help the world, How can I be a better person out for friends? How can I be a better person to help their family, whatever it is, you know, how can I improve? But also looking after myself at the same time, so I don't go down to crush it, you know, absolute crashing heat. So yeah, it's all about balance. Yeah. So, as a comedian said, I'm going to live forever.
Speaker 2: So far, so good, so far killing it.
Speaker 1: That's a good. I think that's a good I'm just going to keep going and tell him that I've met it. You know, I met I met like the other day, was eighteen. I thought he would have been about sixty four. He's unbelievable. I met people in their nineties who were just just just live, you know, fantastic, awake, live, people still going, you know, and eventually you're going to fall off the planet. But you know, once you ever read, I'd go along the way.
Speaker 2: I had two new clients this morning. I met one of them a friend's birthday, and they would both be somewhere in their seventies. They came in for their first ever seeing session. I put a post up on about them on LinkedIn and socials. So they're brilliant. They just there's nothing that lights my fire more than especially when they're women, because there's something special about seeing a woman put boxing gloves on and learn to use their body and express force, physical force. You just see this glitterly, this something comes alive, and you know, I'm watching them and I'm seeing them process and there's all this concentration and I'm like, are they like, which way is it going to go? Are they loving it? Or is it overwhelming? And they finish and they're like, this is the best. I'm dropping my water water aerobics every week now to come and do this. And I'm like, fucking sweet.
Speaker 1: And I think that you know, you know, you know that's saying We've got two sons and two daughters, and I talk about equal opportunity. I like to see people. Now, some people don't take opportunity. That's a different equal opportunity. So you know, historically, you know, my mother would have had how you do think about putting gloves on littlone actually using them? You know, and how dare you think you should be involved in anything as equal as a man. And you said, go, well why not, you know, let's just go on. You know, so I can imagine, I can you know, I can remember getting in the boxing gloves and learning the first few punches and sort of oh right, yeah, I've got to got to turn my body and I've got to come off my legs. I've got to use my thighs and I've got to you know, you've got to use your core. And it's great fitness. It's great fitness. It's a great way to It is a great way to keep fit. If you've got an injury too. This is one of the things you can't use. You know. You see some boxes that big bodies and skinny little leaves and I don't run around a lot, But you can actually still be doing a lot of training without running around too much with your leags. So it's it's a good thing. And if you see somebody take it on and go, oh wow, I've got not that late. I've got a friend who son, who's in his thirties, and he used to play a lot of foot. He just applefoot. He loved it, and he was always light and one of the things was. He was always still run around fast at the end of the game. A few years ago he took on Marathonony and he says, now, I think I took I think started the wrong sport because he's doing he's done to London on the New York and the Marathon, he's doing the Boston Marathon. He's doing the more you want to do, all the big ones, and he's running. He's running around in just on to and a half hours, you know, and if you can get under yeah, if you can do you know, not being a professional effort. If you can get under three hours, you're doing fantastic. You can get under two and a half. And he's starting, he's just on that edge. And he says, and he's in his late thirties something now, so he's just getting to the program might slide down. He's just trying to get I think he's trying to get under the two and a half for the Boston. I think it's coming out soon, you know, trying after that one. And then he can say, well, if I started to go back the closer to three, I'm happy that I've done all these ones. So just to see somebody do that, you know, later on. There's a whole lot of stories about people who have been successful in whatever in the sixties and seventies. You know, they've they've made the become the businessman they wanted to be in their seventies, or they've written the book in their sixties or there, or they've you know, they've traveled to the you know, I travel to the Seven Continents in their ratings or whatever, you know, whatever they've done. It's that thing that if you're alive and that you know, I suppose what I haven't finished yet, you know, when you finish it down, you know, so I haven't really finished it. And I think that for me, that's you know, that's sort of something I'm sort of clean. On tours, I get old. I don't want to be I don't want to be old. I mean, I'm going to get old, but I don't want to be odd. There's a big difference money. I've seen people who are old in their forties. I've seen people in their thirties. They just really said in this so I can't do anything, and I don't want to try it, and and they said I can't, you know, And back to what I said, if I can't do it yet, and these people haven't done it, starting to do it. They've got, they've got, and I think it's it's great. I'm inspired by people. Let me go and they smile when they do it, even a child, And I think that's connection. You're having a red you're having a red hot going business and read go what you're doing. I think it's it's you know, I love saying it. I love to see people get up, never get thank you, keep doing it.
Speaker 2: Look, thanks for chatting to me today, Thanks for giving my listeners a good ear full of your awesome, lively, energetic self. Where can we find you online? Where do you want to point them to?
Speaker 1: I look very very easy. I should be doing I should be doing a lot more of everything social media. But it's easy. So I'm Mada dot com dot are you? It's just me and my feelings. Idea idea with organizations to help them with their people, their leadership, their culture and their team, and about sustainable high performances for how to get good and stay good in what you do, because you know, in sporting a whole lot of things, people can be really good, really quick and fall over. Yeah, and don't stay there and it's one thing about being successful, there's another thing about staying successful.
Speaker 2: You're awesome. I'm going to have your links in the show notes. Thanks mate. Everyone go check him out. She said, it's now never got fighting in my blood.
Speaker 1: Got it. Trick quite a coast, got it.
Speaker 2: Little gotta lot of coast, got it,