Speaker 1: Vince, it's the Media Show.
Speaker 2: Good evening, Welcome to the Media Show. I'm Caroline Derusso coming up tonight, and the progressive media in the US is still not coping with the Trump Musk bromance. We have the best of their worst takes coming up shortly. An accusation level by the Attorney General at the media for politicizing anti Semitism does not go unchallenged. We have that response and more on the show. And an Australian artist has been scratched from the Venice b and Aali. We'll tell you what the ABC seven thirty failed to mention to its viewers. But first, it's not often on this show we praise the ABC and look to be honest for very good reason. But this week they latched onto something which really pulled the rug out from under a spectacular piece of Labor Party misinformation. Believe me, it was genuinely a very good effort and no, ladies and gents, that is not a cry for help. Here is what happened. Obviously, were getting close to a federal election and the alban Easy Labor government doesn't have much in the way of achievements to talk.
Speaker 3: About, so they decided to revive their.
Speaker 2: Good old medi Scare campaign from twenty sixteen. The relevant campaign video was authorized and released by Labor HQ. Well, here is an excellent piece of work by the ABC posted to its TikTok account, outing the Labor Party for some dodgy video editing.
Speaker 4: Does Peter Dutton really want to get rid of Medicare? That's what this video would have you believe.
Speaker 1: We're very clear about this.
Speaker 5: Medica is dead.
Speaker 6: They can't be for free.
Speaker 5: We have to pay for a world class medical system.
Speaker 4: The thing is, his words have been taken completely out of context. It's a Labor attack ad that selectively edited a twenty fourteen press conference to twist Peter Dutton's words. But we've found an original version.
Speaker 1: We're very clear about this.
Speaker 7: Medica is dead if we can't make it sustainable today.
Speaker 4: That last bit was pretty important.
Speaker 2: Joining me now to discuss this is Sky News contributor James Bolt and The Daily Telegraphs Tim Blair. James, it was not long ago this government wanted to exempt itself from its own proposed misinformation bill. Imagine if we hadn't dodged that bullet.
Speaker 5: Yeah, first off, how about the media watch auditionari or from that ABC journalist. He's got the snarkiness, he's got the unimpressed librarian persona. I think he's got a long career ahead of him in the ABC. For to your question, what you have to remember is that when the media is spreading misinformation, it's a threat to our democracy. But when political parties are spreading misinformation, it's them being cheeky. So look, I don't want to diminish the ABC because it is a good story, but it is a kind of lie that you just need to pull at one thread and it all comes undone. It's really sloppy from Labor and it really tells me that they are really they're throwing everything at the wall and seeing what sticks, which is fine, but we're not even in an election campaign yet. I can't believe how desperate they are to get into Pete and Dutton's negative devity and how little of their own message they can sell. It's pretty concerning for them to be there right now.
Speaker 3: I think that's true.
Speaker 2: And Tim, I think they obviously didn't think they were going to get caught out for someone to go back, you know, that far decade back to look for the original footage. But you can't tell me that this sort of silly business doesn't impact Labour's credibility, particularly given some of the things that are up for discussion during well in the lead up to this election.
Speaker 1: Oh absolutely, Carol. And it's like, all, this's an old Simpsons sketch, this crappy editing, because you know, we're all familiar there with the comedic sort of you know, slicing and dicing and how bad it looks within review, and they've actually done it and tried to pass it off as legitimate. I mean, if I said right now and I'll do it just as an example, I think all doctors should be killed, said a really bad person in a hypothetical situation that has nothing to do with reality. That you could edit that first bit out and make me look like Satan. But you know, everyone's wise to. Everyone is very media literate these days, and actually, you know, as good as the ABC's bit was there, people would have dug that up anyway on Twitter and various other sort of accounts and would have busted them. People of wise to this sort of scam, I think they are.
Speaker 2: I thought the comments on the TikTok were very interesting, though James. I love how many people seemed genuinely shocked that the ABC had picked this up.
Speaker 5: Yeah, when you've lost the ABC, it's pretty rough. Signs for Laver already, I guess.
Speaker 2: Yesterday Sky News Australia held its Anti Semitism summit in Sydney and a number of current and former politicians spoke, as well as others from within the Jewish and broader Australian community. Now the Attorney General Mark Dreyfus was amongst those who addressed the summit, and he made this rather cynical and pointed observation.
Speaker 1: Anti Semitism cannot and must not be weaponized in the pursuit of votes. It must not be weaponized in the pursuit of newspaper sales or tea ratings either.
Speaker 2: And it wasn't just the broader room which took umbrage to those comments.
Speaker 8: I hope that suggestion wasn't that our newspapers or television stations are weaponizing this, because we certainly are not. We are defending our values and trying to ensure in fact, it's to the contrary. We raise these issues in spite of whether it necessarily appeals to every member of our audience because it is so important to fight this, to tackle us and tackle it and address it head on.
Speaker 2: Tim the federal government has long been under pressure for its hand handling of antisemitism here in Australia and obviously its positions on Israel and the war in Gaza. Is this comment itself politicizing the.
Speaker 1: Issue, Oh absolutely, and it's doing so in an incredibly cynical way. By the way, good On Shariff for very quickly responded to that sometimes in the moment it can be difficult, and she's a fantastic professional and also the deeply moral and decent human being, and we saw that. But in terms of what Dreyfus said, he's basically attempting to put anti Semitism in there. Let's be polite basket. Let's let's not mention it. It's too awful, let's not deal with it, which is also, by the way, how things ended up in the UK with the child grooming scandal is all pushed aside. Let's not politicize it, let's let's not go there. Just it's too unattractive. Let let's not even deal with it. As well, it's always infuriating when politicians say that we shouldn't politicize something. What are they doing in this caper? If politicizing things is off the table, it's offensive on so many levels.
Speaker 2: Care of it seriously, and James, look, it really was an excellent summon and it is dealing with a worthy and a very very timely issue. Do you think this sort of criticism ends up being counterproductive?
Speaker 5: Well, I mean to piggyback on what Tim saying. Look, I tried to gain plan what Cord Mark Dre Dreyfus have said with Labour's backstory on this issue to that crowd. But I'll tell you what, anything he could have said different to that would have been better because not only I mean Tim's right on everything he said there, but when Mark Drefers says that anti Semitism is being used by TV networks to drive ratings at a TV event on antisemitism, what he's saying is the event that I am speaking at shouldn't be happening, an event that Chris Min's thoughts should happen, event that Peter Dutton thought shuld happen, event that John Howard, Josh Freidenberg, so many other wonderful speakers gave up their day to go to this event because it was so important. But the Labor Parties representative there said that it shouldn't be going ahead. You know, you kind of expect that out of Anthony Alberineasi you expect it out of Penny Wong. I thought Mark Dravis was better than that.
Speaker 2: An that's an excellent obsestion. That's an excellent observation and very true and still with Labor. But onto the Prime Minister who proposed to his partner Jody Hayden last year on Valentine's Day. Well, they're planning a wedding after the election, and good luck to them now. Jody did an interview with The Australian Woman's Weekly which was released this week, during which reference was made about the wedding anyway. The article said, amongst other things, it can't be a Catholic church wedding, although their families would have perhaps have liked that, because of Anthony's divorce. It will be small and intimate. Jodyads probably a spring wedding, possibly outdoors in the second half of this year, with our family and loved ones, and you can be sure Toto will make an appearance. Of course, this got tongues wagging in Canberra, and a piece file by Latika Burke for The Nightly quoted some seemingly frustrated anonymous labor sources. Spectacular self sabotage is how one front bench had described it to The Nightly. I can't believe that the battlers of Australia are dying to hear about the role of the dog in the wedding. Another minister dryly observed, finally some good news for the government to sell. But they have to fight with Toto for airtime, observed a senior labor source. And how can this possibly be his priority today of all days, of course, referring to the RBA rape announced that same day James. Everyone's entitled to celebrate their wedding however they wish. But political sensitivity is always heightened ahead of an election, isn't it.
Speaker 5: It is, And it's not the first time that Anthony Albanese is given a sense that his head's not completely in the game, or that he's kind of got one foot in here the next stage of his life. I mean, it's very reminiscent of when he bought the retirement House while still Prime Minister. The other thing that really sticks out to me here is that Labor. You know, they're not dumb, like the media relations people are not stupid. They go, Okay, we have a likability issue here. We need an article out there that's getting to know Anthony Albanesi and appealing to the voters we need. But they make Jody Hayden the centerpiece of it, not Anthony Alberanesi. That's the kind of stuff you do when every poll is telling you that your candidate is no longer likable and people have tuned him out. It's very reminiscent of the dying days of the twenty twenty two campaign when Scott Morrison's wife started to take media interviews because no one wanted to hear from Scott Morrison. I mean, I said it in the first answer here, But Labor, I've got a real problem here that their candidate isn't feelings of voters anymore.
Speaker 2: That's very, very true. But Tim, I love that Albo and I can't believe, to be honest, I can't believe Albo got taken out at the knees by the Woman's Weekly.
Speaker 1: Well, there's a bit of a history in this regard, actually, Carolyn, back in twenty thirteen Women's Weekly ran a very you know, it was meant to be a very happy and promotional photo spread about Julia Gillard. And there was a photograph of Gillard with I think she was knitting a gift for a royal baby and she's sitting there in a ridiculous armchair knitting with her pet dog. I can't recall its name. It's not as famous as Toto, and that ran on. It was such an absurd image. It ran on the front page of the Daily Telegraph and one week later Gillard was gone. So, you know, be careful, be careful with Women's Weekly interfaces. By the way, the Labour people saying that they don't want to hear any more about Toto. I want to hear nothing but Toto. I want a twenty four to seven Toto, folks, I want to hear nothing else but Toto Voto. I think it's crucial.
Speaker 2: Well, look, he's one of the better performers. Let's put it that way. Now, back to our friends at the ABC and ABC's four Corners, is there to groundbreaking a documentary on the rise of extremism and hate in Australia amid a rising tide of hate crimes perpetrated against Jews. Now we are told that the crimes originate from fringe white supremacist near Nazi groups. Extremist groups in Australia are breeding a new generation.
Speaker 8: Families are losing their loved ones to hate.
Speaker 1: Last Christmas, sister brought home a Nazi. How did you feel when you saw him in this photo?
Speaker 9: Devastated?
Speaker 3: James?
Speaker 2: Is this solely where the tax are originating from?
Speaker 5: Well, potentially not solely, but I mean we do have to acknowledge that when we do see synagogues being attacked, it is being defaced with swastikas. I mean, I guess you could say on some level that's a guaranteed way to offend Juris is to show a Nazi emblem. But I think the Okham's razor would say that there are Nazi groups in Australia. They are targeting Jewish people as Nazis have always done, and it is something that needs to be taken seriously, just as we take threats from other communities seriously.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And Tim, do you think that the ABC maybe lacks a little curiosity here?
Speaker 1: Well, they lack a lot of things, you know, funding not included, But I think on the issue is it Nazis or is it someone else running these attacks on Jewish Australians. Australia doesn't have any Nazi suburbs. We don't have any areas of Western Sydney that are so full of Nazis that they're contributing to any kind of Nazi wars in the Middle East, whereas we actually do have huge amounts of Western Sydney that contributed in incredible numbers of volunteers to ISIS, for example in past years. So I think I think again Jones's right to indicate Ocklm's raiser on this one. I'd go with the majority kind of theory on this one that it's it's probably not Nazi's overall responsible for these crimes.
Speaker 2: Fair enough, and thank you gents for joining us this evening. Coming up next, how the progressive media in the US is struggling with the new political paradigm and it's even blaming Trump for plane crashes. Welcome back to the show and two Stars and Gripes, where we tear apart the actions of the bitter activists masquerading as journalist in the United States, the Trump Musk romance was alive and well. This week in an interview with Sean Hannity, here's a snippet.
Speaker 10: Elan Cole, he said, you know they're trying to drive us apart. I said, absolutely. Now they said we are breaking as Donald Trump has seated control of the presidency to Elon Musk. President Musk will be attending a cabinet reading at eight o'clock. And I say, it's just so obvious. They're so bad at it. I used to think they were good at it. They're actually bad at it, because if they were good at it, I'd never be president. What is the relationship mister President.
Speaker 11: Well, I respect him, I've always respected him. I never knew that he was right on certain things, and I'm usually pretty good at this stuff. He did starlink, He did things that were so advanced and nobody knew what the hell they were. I wanted somebody really smart to work with me in terms of the country, a very important aspect, because I mean, he doesn't talking about he's actually a very good businessman. Got some very brilliant young people working for him that dress much worse than him. Actually, they dressing just T shirts.
Speaker 3: You wouldn't know that one hundred eight.
Speaker 10: He's your tech support done, he's a leader.
Speaker 2: Of course, the left wing media lost their minds. The Atlantic led with who's running the United States?
Speaker 3: Must sc or Trump?
Speaker 2: In an interview with Sean Hannity, three men demonstrated that they have no idea how American democracy works, and of course our friends at the Guardian packaged the interview up with this headline. Musk and Trump put on LoveFest with Sean Hannity pay glowing tribute to each other, rejecting claims that billionaire is usurping President's.
Speaker 3: Limelight and power.
Speaker 2: Joining me now with her analysis is Sky News contributor Kosher Gata Kosher Uh. This pair just seemed to set the media off, and it feels like they haven't quite worked out yet how to report on it.
Speaker 6: Indeed, they are clearly finding their feet, Caroline, and they're out in the wilder after their resounding defeat in the last election, and you could see that they're sort of trialing a couple of different narratives here. One is the who's running the country He's an unelected bureaucrat argument, as you mentioned at the top, and that doesn't make sense to most people because everybody knows that there are pretty much five hundred and thirty seven people out of two point four million people that are elected in the US government, four hundred and thirty five congressmen and women, one hundred senators, one vice president, one president, everybody else two point four million people are by definition unelected. Bureaucrats who serve at the pleasure of those that are elected. Must just happens to be one of them. But he is a public figure, So they're toying with that idea, and then the other one, I think is just sort of plain leveraging this idea that people have about billionaires, just good old fashioned envy or ire people look at billionaires with suspicions, so they're trying to play that angle. And I don't think that works over here either, because Trump remains very popular at the moment. May not last forever, but he's got the strongest popularity he's ever had and approval readings he's ever had, and Musk is by and large regarded as a very high IQ individual who is working for free to try and fix the country. So I think that narrative overpower is the one that they're trying to push forward.
Speaker 2: And this week Delta plane crashed on landing in Toronto. You've probably seen the footage in reporting on the crash. The view had this spectacularly bad take.
Speaker 9: I have been panicking over all this insanity with this play. Yeah, you know, and there's all kinds of stuff going on. So let's start with the string of mass firings by Elon Musk's Doggy Dogy Dog DOGI has sparked a lot of chaos, confusion and fear.
Speaker 2: X MSNBC host Mehdi Hassan, well, he posted this shoka on X before thinking better of it and deleting it, and then the Delta CEO had this to.
Speaker 12: Say, I understand that the cuts at this time are something that are raising questions, But the reality is there's over fifty thousand people that work at the FAA, and the cuts I understand, we're three hundred people and they were in non critical safety functions. The Trump administration has committed to investing deeply in terms of improving the overall technologies that are used in the air traffic control systems and modernizing the guys. They've committed to hiring additional controllers and investigators.
Speaker 3: Kosher.
Speaker 2: That all sounds pretty rational to all the same people, but so many of the progressive outlets. They just appear to be so obsessed with Trump that the own goals just produce themselves.
Speaker 6: Yes, Medi Hassan has become an NPC, as they say, a non playing character for quite some time. His show on MSNBC was canceled, and he's said things like.
Speaker 3: That in the past and has had to take them down.
Speaker 6: And that's fine, that's his prerogative, and he'll pay the price for it in the public square.
Speaker 3: The view argument is.
Speaker 6: It does reflect a little bit that the other side and those who oppose Trump's policies have to work with, and that is that these cuts are happening. Your doge is very much front and center in the national discourse right now and all that they're doing, and these plane crashes have happened in the last three weeks more than they typically have. The two are not connected, but you can see how they can try to make that connection for those that maybe aren't paying attention to these details. So that's what they're trying to do. But what the Delta CEO said there is the fact there's fifty thousand plus people who work again, all unelected bureaucrats. To the earlier point in the FAA, they've cut about four to five hundred people in non essential roles. As that narrative becomes known and gets out there, coupled with what the administration is trying to do to improve the technology that's like from the nineteen sixties in terms of the programming languages and other things that they use, and they turn the ship around. I think ultimately history will judge them well if they're successful in what they're doing. But in the meantime, as these crashes happen, coupled with the cuts that they're doing, you will see people trying to connect the two and push that nerdive out there.
Speaker 2: And that wasn't the only belly flop this week. Going to CBS ANKA and General Butler Margaret Brennan, who we all remember as being on the receiving end of Vice President J. D. Vance's I don't really care, Margaret retort or she's at it again this time. She's struggling with a historical understanding of the political landscape in Nazi Germany.
Speaker 13: He was standing in a country where free speech was weaponized to conduct a genocide, and he met with the head of a political party that has far right views and some historic ties to extreme groups. The context of that was changing the tone of it. And you know that that the censor.
Speaker 14: She disagree with you specifically about the right. Now I have to disagree with you. The free speech was not used to conduct a genocide. The genocide was conducted by an authoritarian Nazi regime that happened to also be genocidal because they hated Jews, and they hated minorities, and they hated those that they had a list of people they hated, but primarily the Jews. There was no free speech in Nazi Germany.
Speaker 3: Kosha.
Speaker 2: Look, Rubier was very good here in pulling her up, but a very conflated and confounded question that frankly shouldn't have been asked in the first place.
Speaker 6: Yes, that one was something new, to be sure, and just to have an American journalist, where America, of course is home to the First Amendment and the strongest free speech protection in the free world and all of the world. For an American journalist to make that claim that free speech was the root cause of the Holocaust as she did was a site to behold. And you could even see Secretary Rubio from the moment, I couldn't even believe what he heard with his ears. He was finding his words a little bit, and then when he just went off, that thing has gone viral, probably second only to I don't really care Margaret. So she's certainly dug herself in a bit of a ditch that she's gonna have to work hard to pull herself out of.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Absolutely, And look in a general sense, it goes without saying the media is struggling to hope with the change of the US administration, including simple things like the change of the name of the Golf of Mexico to the Gulf of America.
Speaker 3: Well kosher.
Speaker 2: It caused the Associated Press to come a cropper this week what happened.
Speaker 6: So this is interesting because there's a couple things going on where Trump famously, in one of the two hundred and forty one executive orders that he signed literally after he took his hand off the Bible and assume the role of the president, was to rename some of these iconic pieces of geography in and around America. One was Mountdanali in Alaska, the highest peak in Alaska to Mount McKinley, which is what it used to be known as. And then the other is the Gulf of Mexico should be the Golf of America. Now those things are being battled, and even in Congress actually some people are challenging it.
Speaker 3: But as of now, he has the authority to do that.
Speaker 6: And then basically all maps and school textbooks and things that come out of the federal government can reflect a presidential order, as they have.
Speaker 3: And in the private.
Speaker 6: Company sphere, Google and Apple, who have far more eyeballs come to them, have also done it. You can go to Google Maps right now, it'll say Golf of America. Airline pilots when they're flying over the space and they want to talk about it, they're giving it that same credit. But the AP has decided to sort of split the hair over there and say that since that's a global body and international countries are maybe not all accepting this renaming, they will not either. And then Trump is now pushing back and saying, Okay, that's your prerogative, but then I'm not going to invite you into the oval when we're doing press briefings. So that's kind of turned into this whole story unto itself. Yes, it's about the Gulf of America, but it's also about putting adversarial media in their place in a way that he believes he has the right to do.
Speaker 3: There are plenty of other reporters who.
Speaker 6: Are allowed access to the Oval office, but he's certainly punishing the EP for holding out on this name change.
Speaker 2: Well, it has been very eventful to watch, and speaking of the struggling to cope, I often wonder, Kosha, how history is going to look back on this crazy, crazy time. And this Washington Post headline just says it all for me. Trump says there are two sexes. Experts and science say it's not binary. Is the US mainstream media ever going to be able to unbreak itself?
Speaker 6: This particular example of Caroline would suggest that they're far from reaching that point. While some things might have some merit on the other side, and you know, the renaming topic that we just discussed with the AP, that's one thing, but this one, are there two biological sexes or not? Is one of the few issues in these divided times that we live in where something like eighty nine percent of people agree with that. Like, the cultural consensus around this has finally happened. It's crazy what it took to get here, but we are here, and for the media to still be behind the eight ball as they are on this issue in particular, and there are others as well. You're right, it is crazy times, and I think when historians look back on this era, it's going to be fascinating for them to see where the media went and how far we fallen.
Speaker 2: And I think people in a general sense are a little more skeptical of experts and science than they were perhaps prior to COVID, so I'm not sure that they're necessarily helping themselves there now. Lastly, Joe Rogan has claimed that the Harris campaign is trying to cover its backside my words, not his, about why that their vice president didn't do an interview on his show. Now, Rogan maintains he offered interviews to both her and Trump.
Speaker 3: Kosher.
Speaker 2: Is this just late stage revisionism?
Speaker 3: You know it potentially is.
Speaker 6: And the other side, Harris's campaign managers have gone on different podcasts breaking open the minutia of the back and forth email exchanges that happened, claiming she was willing to do it and scheduling got in the way and whatnot.
Speaker 3: Whatever it is.
Speaker 6: I don't think either path or either narrative comes out with her looking good, because either it looks like she was huboristic and thought she didn't need the biggest podcast in the world, and in that election cycle, even though Trump had the sense to do it, or it means that she wanted to do it. She recognized how important he is, but they couldn't make it work in terms of scheduling, which also makes her look weak, like, surely, if you wanted to do it, you can find a way. So I'm not sure it matters anymore. No one's really paying attention to her, but her campaign managers are still people have careers and politics, and so they're trying to explain that away and we might see a little bit more of it before the story finally lands in the dustment of history where it belongs.
Speaker 3: Absolutely it does.
Speaker 2: Koshagata, thank you so much for your analysis this evening. Now after the break, an Australian artist has been scratched from the Venice B and Aali and we'll tell you what the ABC seven thirty failed to mention to its viewers. Welcome back to the show. Joining me now as he does each and every week, is Sky News Australia's media watchdog columnist Jared Henderson, Jared Creative Australia has removed an artwork by artists Khalid Sabsabi from the twenty twenty six Venice b Andale due to his apparent glorification of terrorism. Now he put out this video in two thousand and six on the nine to eleven terrorist attack.
Speaker 1: Thank you, thank you very much.
Speaker 2: And here is his artwork depicting Hassan Nasralla, the late chief at Hezbola. But this is how the ABC seven thirty covered the story.
Speaker 15: We got to this point as we understand it, because there hasn't been a proper explanation yet because of some questions raised about some of Halid Subsabi's earlier works and some of its content, particularly featuring Hassan Nasralla, the head of Hesbala, and some work about nine to eleven. I'm not asking you to comment on those specific works, but should any subject be off limit for artists?
Speaker 16: Think what the question in a way has to be framed into what we do as artists, Jared, they missed fabuit to detail here as a matter of don't talk about the artists, because here we're discussing the work of the artists, but no one showed the work of the artists you've going to come under the media show and this guy news to actually see what the work is. And the work is clearly sympathetic to the terrorist actions in New York on nine to eleven and also to the head of Hesbela following the Hesbela Israel War of twenty six where Hesbel are invaded and captured soldiers are from northern Israel. Now I would think if you're going to have a discussion, because they've been very controversial. As you know, Creative Australian Board has decided not to let the artists go with his current work to Venice next year for b and Ali, So that's an important decision. The Minister Tony Burke has been on seven thirty discussing the matter. Then Ms Gill, a friend of the artist, comes on and she discusses the matter, but viewers don't get a chance to know what anyone's talking about because Sarah Ferguson basically says, well, we're not going to talk about it. So how you can discuss the appropriateness of a decision made by Creative Australia and the Minister supports the right of Creative Australia make the decision but no one's who watching seven point thirty supposed to know what was said, so you can't make a judgment. So it's just to cover up, really and pretty unprofessional.
Speaker 4: I would have.
Speaker 2: Thought, and I guess hoping that it all goes away pretty quickly. Now.
Speaker 16: The host of.
Speaker 2: Saturday Extra, No, I don't think it will.
Speaker 3: That's very true.
Speaker 2: Now, the host of Saturday Extra on the ABC Radio National Nick Bryant, had this to say about how Malcolm Turnbull handled Trump during his first administration.
Speaker 17: Now, Turnbull sort of added to the Trump user guide at the g twenty and Hamburg. That was when he was arguing for exemptions on steel and aluminium. They met in what's called the skiff, and rather extraordinarily, Trump introduced Turnbull as the world's best lawyer, the guy that had kept his friend Kerry Packer out of jail.
Speaker 3: Jared.
Speaker 2: That last line raised my eyebrows. What was the basis for suggesting that Turnbull kept Kerry Packer out of prison?
Speaker 16: Well, only that Donald Trump allegedly made this claim. But I was listening to that at seven o'clock on Saturday morning.
Speaker 17: I got a bit of a shock.
Speaker 16: I mean the point there was a controversy forty years ago about a royal commission. But the only suggestion that ever might have happened that Kerry Packer might have gone to jail would be for contempt of court for defending himself, which never happened. Turnbull was his lawyer and Turnmle was involved. The idea that Packer was ever close to Joell is completely false. I mean, it's what the ABC is I was talking about.
Speaker 17: It's fake news.
Speaker 16: Now, an experienced BBC journalist like Nick Bryant should know what he's talking about, and he doesn't. And it's very damaging to the memory of someone like Kerry Packer and his family to say that Turnbull kept him out of prison when he never had a prospect of going into prison. He was never charged with anything, He was never convicted of anything. Obviously, he was never charged and he was never seriously investigated for anything. And the allegations about Packer and that Royal commission of forty years ago were never maintained, will never prove and I lived through that. I was aware of that at the time. They were simply allegations. They went nowhere. Has happened with many Royal commissions, as we know so I don't know whether Donald Trump said that about Malcolm Turble. Nick Bryan said he did, but whatever happened there, it shouldn't be repeated without checking. It's not that hard to check whether or not Kerry Packer was ever going to jail and saved by Malcolm Turnbull. In his own memoir, Malcolm Turnbull doesn't claim that he mentions it, but he never claims he kept Packer out of prison. It's just what the ABC would call fake news.
Speaker 4: That's what it is.
Speaker 2: And if you were going to say something like that, Jared, at least provide some of that context, which you've just provided in your answer, so that whoever's watch or whoever's listening, I suppose is in this case, can determine how much weight they want to give to that sort of claim.
Speaker 16: Yes, well, even just to refer to where it was mentioned in Malcolm Turnbull's book, because he doesn't say it. But it's one of these things. I mean a number of journalists think where he can have a swing at Kerry Packer. A he's dead, but be he's sort of someone you probably didn't like in the first place. And mister Bryan's presented himself as an expert in Australia. I've read his book ten years ago. It's not very good. And if he's going to present himself as an expert in Australia or to do some research and work it out, it's not that hard. He's got a production team, he's got one program a week, runs for an hour and a half. Not that hard to check the facts. Quite easy, actually, no, very very true.
Speaker 3: Now into conflict.
Speaker 2: In reports from the ABC regarding the course of the cause, sorry of Australia's housing crisis US Monday, senior ABC reporter Alan Coola will he blamed John Howard here it is.
Speaker 7: It's my view John Howard did more than anyone to make housing unaffordable through reforms like cutting capital gains tax in half.
Speaker 2: Now he says that that was his view. But then senior ABC reporter Adam Harvey, well he took a different view.
Speaker 7: In a new report, the Federal government's Research and Advisory body says it takes much longer to build a home than.
Speaker 17: It used to.
Speaker 18: Looking at standalone built houses, the average time to build a house from way to go has increased from about six months ten years ago to ten months. So often that will be tied up in the development approval process.
Speaker 7: It's not just houses. New townhouses now taken average three months longer to build, and apartments are built in about twenty eight months compared to eighteen months ten years ago. The Productivity Commission report says there's a mix of reasons, but the most significant is red.
Speaker 2: Tape Jared, Which is it both what's reporting and what's editorial.
Speaker 16: Well, if you Ellen Cohler, as always John howards Felt, I mean that's the standard ABC left wing line. It's John howards Felt. I mean, mister Hart hasn't been Prime Minister for nearly twenty years, so really that's a bit much. But we know the reason, and the reason is regulation and lack of supply, and what Adam Harvey is saying is correct. But there you've got a very singer ABC journalist in Allen Cohler and a very ABC journalist of Adam Harvey, and they're both saying different things on seven point thirty, which is presenting a series of a series of comments on the housing crisis in Australia. So I mean someone ought to get together and work out what it is. Well, obviously Ellen Cohler's piece shouldn't have gone to wear. That comment shouldn't have gone to wear because it's it's quite ridiculous that someone who was last prime minister in twenty oh seven is somehow responsible for what's going on today. Clearly he's not. I mean, you can always make an argument about this policy or that policy, but we know what the housing problem is essentially caused by, and in the clip from the Productivity Commission, it's made the point that it's essentially regulation which is leading to massive delays. May as well be said, but the ABC, even nearly two decades after the event, still got it, still got it in for John Howard, but he's going okay, So I guess maybe he doesn't watch it.
Speaker 2: Who knows. Oh, they love their pet gripes, don't they? Thank you so much? Jared Henderson. Now that's all from me. Tonight. Up next is Newsnight