Speaker 1: Welcome to the Daily Telegraph and our podcast. I'm Michael Carrianas and joined by the boys. I've got David Riccio Brenting.
Speaker 2: So good to be How are we fellas?
Speaker 3: Are you ready?
Speaker 4: It's super super good. When the Warburgers last night we four took the soccer team. Now we had fifty cent chicken wings nice. Yes, so you spent one hundred and forty four chicken wings er.
Speaker 5: What did everyone else need?
Speaker 3: Oh? He started already. That's a good Dave.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's been busy, but it's good.
Speaker 5: It's regular league, the game that never sleeps.
Speaker 1: We won't touch on David better because by the time this podcast goes there we might have a decision, so we'll bypass that.
Speaker 5: But a young that you've been all over this week, Dave dan gag.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you had an offer from the Sydney Roosters, but obvios to stay in Newcastle.
Speaker 2: I thought he was going to go. I really did the an appetite from day to win a premiership before he retires and he had to he had to weigh that up on where the Roosters heading. Coupled with the offer of a two year deal against a one year deal, of the Newcastle Knights with a mutual option for a second season, which really doesn't give you much guarantee of getting that second season. No guarantee, that's right if you're a player. But ultimately Danes pretty settled up their young family in schools and his wife is working up there also, so he just weighed up that family element and just has decided to stay with the Knights. But as I said, I thought it was a surprise. The Roosters don't miss too many guys. What does it mean for Newcastle? Reading that he's not only turned down the Roosters but turned down a two year guarantee to stay for Newcastles for one year with no guarantee of the second season.
Speaker 3: It's pretty positive reflection on the coaching up there and his belief in the squad. I think he's had a really good year, Dane Goego.
Speaker 4: They've been a bit inconsistent Newcastle, but he's actually been one of their better players this year. Shows no signs of slowing down. How old is here to day thirty four?
Speaker 3: That's the worry.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I think that the twelve I think Newcastle have played this well too to keep him for twelve months guaranteed and then if he's playing like the way he's playing now, it's a no brander that he rolls on for a further twelve months. But they minimize that risk that is associated with signing. You know he'll be thirty five next year. A player of that agent, you would have.
Speaker 3: Him in your Queensland team.
Speaker 2: We did our origin size are not up. I've got him ahead of Valentine Holmes. Yeah, wouldn't. Valentine home has been terrible this year and anyone that wants to try and tell me that I agree has been playing well has not watched anything.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree.
Speaker 2: I don't disagree Mick. But something happens when Valentine puts a Queensland I agree. Same with don't go to the past. He's been in poor not as bad as U plays for Queensland and scores tries.
Speaker 3: He's so far out.
Speaker 4: For the reason I asked is that's a reflection on how well Dane Gago has been playing.
Speaker 3: Not an indictment.
Speaker 5: Last year was it one of the great raps on day?
Speaker 2: And Gagoy is two things. One he rarely misses games. If you go through his career, he's playing twenty games plus it will be a three out of gamer potentially by the time. Yeah, if he sees in most seasons. The second point to that is, despite the fact that he's thirty three turning thirty four, is he doesn't miss training sessions. And that's what the Roosters loved about him, given the vacuum of outside backs that they're going to suffer at the end of this year, is they dropped Day and Gaga into the system and they know they're going to get a twenty gamer who's going to train every session and then teach their next crop of young outside backs. How it would have worked. However, that's obviously not going to happen. But yeah, I think I think the Knights have got to win here, big win because of you can't come across experience. It's rep players who's playing at the level of what Dan is. You don't come across them every every game. Every week.
Speaker 1: We'll go into ours and size probably a bit more in depth next week.
Speaker 5: But who are your queen Land Sanders?
Speaker 4: I think Vowl and the Hammer. I just think vells Billy. Billy is a law type of guy, right, I think he.
Speaker 1: Hasn't played Josh pupp Lee, Feliceafusi, Danga guy all that, he's you know, your team well, he's been mainstays in the last couple of years that he sort of eaged out the door.
Speaker 3: But those guys are a bit older.
Speaker 4: I don't think Bell's not coming towards the end of their career where you've got to phase Val out.
Speaker 3: I mean Bells still yeah, yeah, yeah, he's still young enough.
Speaker 4: He's going to be there for a few years yet. His goalkicker too, which is important. And he's a goalkicker because who's the other goalkeeper kicker daily Maybe Yell is probably the best kicker.
Speaker 5: So he hasn't even kicked all this year.
Speaker 3: He hasn't done anything well this year. But I just would be stunned if Billy left him out because he's Vale home.
Speaker 5: Who did you go?
Speaker 2: I did vow and the hammer on the basis that, as I said, I've seen Val do this before. He's had a bit of a flat season and then he pulls the Queensland jump on and no doubt just play so well. And the fact that they went away from day last series is the decision that led me back to Val. It feels like they may have. I wouldn't say that they've closed the curtain on it and moved on, but they did move on last year.
Speaker 3: Do you need to move on in Origin?
Speaker 2: Like?
Speaker 3: Well, I can play Set and Comma on the centers.
Speaker 4: If they don't want to pick Vale there, pick another winger, but.
Speaker 3: You can play someone's been outstanding in the centers.
Speaker 4: I think from Brisbane, so I would have thought he's here a done gago as well potentially as the senatece.
Speaker 1: I wonder if they even flat with our gone back to the wing, considering how.
Speaker 3: Potentially shout me. Thanks, thanks for giving us some ideas, Billy helping us out.
Speaker 2: We're going good Blade, Flonga and others you're across this week, Dave, we'll just run through all your stories this week for them all.
Speaker 1: But Blaze testing the open market, had an option. We speak about options. He had an option. Yeah, he's a way for next season. Is intimated to the Eels that he won't to take that up. Where do we see Blaze's future?
Speaker 2: Yeah, look, nineteen years of age, obviously a really strong talent, local junior from the paramounter Reels, and the Eels want to keep him. They have offered him a new deal and he extended upgrade on twenty five, twenty six, and twenty seven for Blaze. However, he did have this option or trigger in his contract to trigger the twenty five season, of which he's decided not to trigger and take himself to the open market. I don't think he's going to be short of offers, guys, but it just it's a little bit concerning if you're a paraffine when you see such a young kid not just sticking strong and going with the club.
Speaker 4: Have they worked out his best position yet? Well, I think he knows where he wants to I think he's a six, right. He played, He's played a lot of six, played a bit of center.
Speaker 5: We can't do that.
Speaker 3: Hasn't played a lot of fullback, and they're playing in a fullback this week.
Speaker 1: He can't do that a parent, right, and you'd assume that he can't play in the centers next year.
Speaker 3: Yeah, there as well.
Speaker 4: I'man for you know, if you consider yourself. I think they're trying to say wants to be a fullback, right suggested, hasn't played a lot of fullback.
Speaker 3: In his life.
Speaker 2: We're going to get a great look at it tomorrow, a great look at it.
Speaker 3: So I can sort of understand him looking around.
Speaker 4: Given they bought out the top, they blocked his path with Dylan, they brought out at the top of him with Zac Lomax. If you're a kid looking at that situation and the club has promised to the world, you know, we see you as our future, then you go and buy Zack Lomax at the top of him and you block it, block his path with Dylan Brown. I can understand the guy actually looking around and see what's out there for him.
Speaker 3: If that's if his preferred positions are covered by other players.
Speaker 2: So the only concern for that readman, and I think you're a spot on. The only concern is that clubs wanting to buy Blaze actually haven't seen him in the position that he wants to play.
Speaker 3: They would have because they would have seen not a kid who has come from nowhere clubs.
Speaker 2: So let's just say he's blowing the lights out at five eighths right for the Eels and he and he still wants to move on, Well, there'd be there'd be mass interest in him and he would be able to demand big money. But because we haven't seen that in the n r L, him testing the market. Yes, I get that, but I don't know if he's going to maybe get the excessive amounts of doors that he may get had we know what position he actually belongs to. Paying for potential, let's just a hypothetical. You're the dragons, just the total hypothetical.
Speaker 5: Here, and you want him to be a six.
Speaker 1: Well, you're paying for upside, You're not for something that you've seen in first grade.
Speaker 2: So that Galvin is a great example. We know that now this guy's an inn role play.
Speaker 5: Yeah, yeah, good point.
Speaker 4: He can come. I'm sure he can come. I'm sure that deals not off the table of Paramatta. I mean if it doesn't, if it looks elsewhere, you can always come back. I don't think it necessarily leave paramatter. I don't think that's a fair to complete. I think he just wants to see what's out there. His management do see what's out there and weigh it all up and then make an educated decision on where his future should they.
Speaker 2: Paramatta is obviously in the news and we'll be they had to buy last week.
Speaker 3: So this is your favorite subject.
Speaker 2: It's not my favorite subject at all.
Speaker 5: But where do we see the stop it?
Speaker 1: Where do we see the future for Brad as obviously something Brad Arthur the Cave. There's some suggestions around recruitment and retention and the like. Where things are around Paramat at the moment, really well, I.
Speaker 4: Think there's pressure on, right, I didn't think that's pretty clear. You know, if they missed the eighth this year, I think most people assume Brad will be gone.
Speaker 3: But by then it's going to be too late. I mean, I think a.
Speaker 4: Lot of people think, and you you're chief among them, who think Wayne Bennett's ready made. That's what a Paramatter's ready made for Wayne Bennett to come in.
Speaker 3: And there so there's no well that's the problem. So what do you do then?
Speaker 4: I'm sure Paramatic could turn around at the end of the year if they miss the eight and go, well, there's no one better than Brad.
Speaker 2: Decision, Well, that's that's likely to happen to me, they can't do that. So where would you like them to move to? Because can you rule Wayne Banner that's not happening. So where are they're going to move to?
Speaker 1: They've got paramatter of two options in a way, right, they can go, We're going to blow up the joint. Now we'll get rid of Brad, blow up the joint, move a those senior players on and start the process fresh.
Speaker 3: Right, that's too hard. You can't give senior players, not all of them.
Speaker 2: But it's not too hard because those bakes are still sellable.
Speaker 3: Yeah, like you know, move on your captain at the end of the year.
Speaker 5: I'm just saying these are their options.
Speaker 3: Right, that's not that's not a realistic option.
Speaker 1: Then they go on, or they stick with the players that they've got and then go all in the next two years and try and fine tune that roster a little bit.
Speaker 5: I don't buy the fact that.
Speaker 3: You're saying either way it's without Brad.
Speaker 2: Has to be without Bread if they don't make the age, I think to mix first point, I think there'd be a natural attrition anyway from from Brad leaving. I think they'd be there's so many loyal players to Brad after at that club.
Speaker 5: Well maybe that's what they need.
Speaker 2: So therefore the club won't actually have to make decisions on the players. The players will make decisions for themselves that they don't want to play for the next coach.
Speaker 3: With The issue is they might leave, it's so late to make a call that.
Speaker 5: Teams find space for someone like killing Garthursen's on the mark.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to cut lose Gutha. Are you serious. I'm just saying, if it doesn't.
Speaker 4: Matter who the coach is next year, you you're often described as their best player, so they're going to You're saying they should cut loose.
Speaker 3: To if Brad leaves, he won't leave. Where's he gonna go signing now, I'm not saying he's unsignable.
Speaker 5: People would move.
Speaker 2: If he came to the market in November, people would find space for him straight away.
Speaker 3: That's the case.
Speaker 4: Paramattal let him go if that, If that, if he's that in demand.
Speaker 5: Because they just haven't that they've under achieved.
Speaker 3: So something that's your captain, something is wrong, best player.
Speaker 2: I'm not saying that's what I would do. I said there's two options for them to go down. There's two paths to go down. You blow it up completely and you start again.
Speaker 3: Because I didn't think that's realistic with.
Speaker 5: Param matter, you're going to have to do that in the next two years.
Speaker 4: As Dave said, there'll be a natural attrition, not with the coach going I think, but with players.
Speaker 3: Correct coming to the end of the contract. You're going to have to just roll them over.
Speaker 5: To regenerate that roster within two years, no doubt. Right. That's why I still think Wayne is the best for him because they can go in with.
Speaker 2: I told you, Wayne, if they listened to me for six months ago, that's what I would. I'm going to give you a theory on why Wayne Bennett's no chance of Paramatta give us, and that is that the paramount of management structure are an all inclusive structure where they have a recruitment retention committee and they have from chairman. Wouldn't want to sit That's right, they wouldn't. That's right. This is a chairman, CEO, head of every coach, every club. People smash this paramount of recruitment. But I'm not bagging that. You're missing my point. What I'm saying is is they want the inclusivity with the head coach. They won't won't give them that, So why would they appoint a coach I won't give them that? It won't happen. I think I think Wayne's got the stature in the game that he can do what he wants for to and I agree he does think that football club likes inclusivity, the issues.
Speaker 3: I just moved to slow, move too slow, that's issue.
Speaker 2: We'll talk about Paramatta's retention and recruitment. Which club doesn't have one of them?
Speaker 3: Look at Melbourne arguably the private point.
Speaker 4: Melbourne got a recruitment committee that's got Frank Pinissi, Paul Barney, one, Craig Bellamy. I think roricks on it.
Speaker 1: Anyone that learns that the coach is not having significant say on the paramount Rosto is the looted.
Speaker 4: And they've said over and over again Brad makes the ultimate decision.
Speaker 5: Does and anyone that thinks otherwise.
Speaker 4: I don't think I want to argue that Craig in Melbourne actually has less power than Brad when it comes to recruitment because Craig can get overruled. Look at the Tavita Pangua situation right now. Interesting Craig's interested in other people at the club aren't convinced. So that's I think Craig. He probably just goes okay, boys, let's move on to someone else. I do you surprise you because it respects the people who are in that meat, in that in that room.
Speaker 2: Just on paramatter. And Brad Arthur, I think he will know. I think he'll make the He'll know when he's it's time to go, you're going to walk. I just think I just well, that's what Buzz alludes to the other he knows that as soon as that it's at the point of no return, he'll go. He's been eleven years, he knows, he knows the football club. He doesn't want to sink the club.
Speaker 4: Still, don't give me an alternative. Coach can't throw one year? Jason Ross.
Speaker 2: No, no, I think that that coach need that group with the senior players. You're cleaning them out.
Speaker 5: With the senior players that they've got.
Speaker 1: I think they need an experienced case.
Speaker 3: So there's no one. Well, Brad's an experienced coach. Did you know? Did you not read the back page of the paper?
Speaker 2: Jason Demetrio, I don't know if I'm with all respect to j D, I don't know if I'm sacking I don't know if I'm sacking Brad and picking up the coach straight away.
Speaker 3: That probably I probably agree with.
Speaker 2: He's just giving he needs to be more time away, give a little bit and reinvent himself. Guys. I'm just here to try and provide options and for the listeners to try and to see who's out there, and you guys have come up with duck eggs no defense.
Speaker 5: He came up with Jason Roles.
Speaker 3: I don't have an alternative? Thank you?
Speaker 2: Who are the scene?
Speaker 5: Is he doing again?
Speaker 2: Remind everyone he's.
Speaker 3: Like coach of the coaches pathways down.
Speaker 5: In Melbourne about what about match?
Speaker 3: But is a match that's a good one?
Speaker 2: Isn't the replacement to.
Speaker 3: To Craig's going again? Please about match? That's a good one? I like that one, Madge. What do you think of that?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a good one. Actually good one. Match solved the problem just like that. You're in, I'm in.
Speaker 1: Well you touched on JD Jason Demetrio, Dave you have a chat with him yesterday?
Speaker 5: Erstley, how's he?
Speaker 2: How is he? It's look, you've just been asked from a twenty four to seven job, right. It's amazing how your world just stops after being a head coach. I mean, these guys are twenty four to seven video phone calls, player managers, see players relationships with them, that's without coaching relationship with and suddenly the phone just it's incredible, that's right. And I got to say he's in a pretty good frame of mind. Hey, look he was really upbeat, more concerned.
Speaker 3: About the same outfit on.
Speaker 5: Watching on YouTube.
Speaker 1: But the way he carried himself that morning outstanding. Is nothing that I've seen before from a coach that understood why the media were there. He got the significance of the story, wasn't surety, said a few things and then said guys, enjoy your day, thank you, and I'll get went home and coached his daughter's footy team.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yeah, under four junior rugby league team. Interesting point and this is the credit to the man. There were people within the football club that suggested J Dre's there's a media pack out the front, go around the back way and we'll get a car, or we'll get you to your car away from the cameras. And he said to them, well, I've got nothing to hide. I'm going I'll go out there and answer a few questions and respectful.
Speaker 4: It was quite funny because I was out there most of the day and you saw there. I was behind him coming from the back.
Speaker 3: That's because I was sitting there having coffee, just waiting, and suddenly this bloke walks past his It was J D. I went JD. Then I realized a better chase this blake because of a camera's just surround him and he was fantastics.
Speaker 4: Such a good blake. Yeah, guys like that you want to see succeed. You want to see them go. Well, you want to what she want us to see him back and coaching because he's such a good fellow. He's so good to deal with. And look, he's got a clearly he has ability.
Speaker 2: He made the point he made the point in the interview that that not only did they go to the pre limb so there's been there's all talk about trying to take over from Bennett, they went to the prelim. Right. I think that's a tick that proves that he broke the curse of Wayne Bennett. Right. He then went the first twelve rounds, leading the competition by beating Bennett, Bellamy and Ivan Clearing in three straight weeks in the rounds. Right, the guy can coach, There's no denying a god can coach. Then injuries, external internal influences began to take hold of which he admits he learnt so much from as far as how to manage internal and external noises, of which he believes that that challenge itself. Can we also remind ourselves the size of this South Sydney club, Whatever next club he goes to, except for the Broncos Roosters, right, he will not He will not have the magnitude scrutiny, scrutiny and spot of what it is to coach.
Speaker 1: South What's his path back? Is it an assistant coaching roll Super League?
Speaker 5: Is it?
Speaker 2: Because I don't think he's a guaranteed to walk straight into a head coaching job. No, I don't think. I think that would be his goal.
Speaker 3: But I don't.
Speaker 2: I think you have to be realistic and I don't know what that is to me.
Speaker 3: I don't think.
Speaker 2: I don't think. I don't think you go back to the UK.
Speaker 4: Maybe he follows the Seabolt path and Seebs was an assistant with Eddie Jones, assistant in Newcastle and found a way back. Eventually a club took a chance on him, so you know he does have He played in England and the coach over there just played.
Speaker 5: He wasn't a head coach in the Super League, so.
Speaker 3: I mean maybe England. And how old are his kids, honestly high school students?
Speaker 2: Don't think I think there's an element of hang on a second, I have.
Speaker 3: Done that.
Speaker 2: Needs to prove myself, you know, unless.
Speaker 3: Well, why would you just go and be an assistant coach somewhere for a while.
Speaker 2: I don't think just so he's stilling the system at all. Yeah, you've got to stay relevant, You've got to stay in the.
Speaker 4: He's been at the Cowboys before. They could do some help at the moment the way that they're going.
Speaker 5: Well, you touched on the Cows What is going on there? Hey, hang on a se did you say as an assistant.
Speaker 2: Well, what's honestly, at what point is this football club not reassessing where they're heading with.
Speaker 3: Toddy, with Todd?
Speaker 5: What is going on there?
Speaker 3: I think that's forgotten. How to defend?
Speaker 4: They didn't couldn't defend last year either. They've been hopeless at times. It started the year so well.
Speaker 2: Queensland Cup side last week they.
Speaker 5: Did, they were Dolphins, but.
Speaker 4: The first three or four weeks they were leading the convent. They after three or four and there was a soft drawer that a soft soft.
Speaker 3: Draw away in the year.
Speaker 4: Maybe they've got a false in security because they've been abysmal ever since. They've just been so inconsistent, and there's so much talent in that roster. There's such a talent roster. They should be playing top They should be in the top eight. They should have been last year, they should be this year. But obviously they're just defensively abysmal.
Speaker 5: Does the pressure me are on tight?
Speaker 3: Or of course it does. It's got it. We're talking about Brad. I mean, you know he said if they miss the again this year, yeah, he's got to be under the microscope. There's got to be scrutiny on him.
Speaker 2: So they had at one point win I have a Newcastle. In round two, they beat.
Speaker 3: Saint Georgia, Laura, Yeah, that's a soft draw.
Speaker 2: Right then the Broncos pounded them, right then they beat the Titans. Right then Paramatta beat them, yep. Then the Sharks smacked them, you know, Panthers beat them. That was a close game twenty six twenty and then last week the Dolphins took care of him. This is a huge game, guys.
Speaker 4: There is a big game on Sunday.
Speaker 3: Where is that game?
Speaker 2: You don't think we're going to be who wins that one?
Speaker 4: I think I tiped the Cowboys, but with no can in confidence in either of those teams.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's a fair point, really, but I must say it's time to start to turn the wheel.
Speaker 3: But the day with feet, that thing has been going on all week. You wonder how that's going to impact them, how it's going to impact Dave.
Speaker 2: Check Towns back for the Cowboys helps, but no confidence whatsoever in this Cowboys side. That was I think was highly embarrassing, and I think internally they're starting to seriously have a look at themselves. The way they'll beat up by that Dolphins.
Speaker 4: They're so lucky they're up in towns, will right, They're not imagine imagine that exactly.
Speaker 3: They would beginning to ham.
Speaker 5: Todd Payton.
Speaker 4: But they're up in towns with a bit of out of side, out of mind, which is the pressure on Todd and that group.
Speaker 3: But they're about to get hit by Origin too.
Speaker 4: They'll lose Nanni val Ruben Cotter, if there's injuries, maybe they lose dead and.
Speaker 3: At some point. Yeah, so they got a tough month coming.
Speaker 1: Up, Robson potentially, robs potential And the other side that's been a erratic this year is your Warriors.
Speaker 2: Dave's going on that I can't get my finger on this look there's been a bit of a factor of injuries. I've played a role that Cap was a key signing for them. He's missed a couple of games, he's come off the field with an injury and games. I think that the injury to metcalf upset their spine and ambitions to start the year.
Speaker 5: I think Sean Johnson.
Speaker 2: Isn't clear clearly isn't playing the football of which he was last year.
Speaker 5: That is the point for mine.
Speaker 1: The biggest difference for the Warriors at the moment is the lack of Polish game management, end of sets that Sean Johnson was able to produce last year that he's not producing this year. And you know, they're forwards are still doing a job and marching up the field. That had a lot of opportunities against the Knights. They got down the Knights and pretty consistently, but they just didn't throw anything at him with the football. And I think a lot comes down to on Seawan Johnson's shoulders, because as you alluded to, he's not produced what we saw saw from him last year.
Speaker 4: They're almost the flip side of New and North Queens and they're not North Queens. Queensland's defenses let them down. The Warriors attacks let them down.
Speaker 3: The gap if you look at them defensively, the Warriors, they've been pretty good this year.
Speaker 1: They're not as far off as a Cowboys, you know, I don't think the Warriors there is what North Queensland and probably Paramatter are at the moment.
Speaker 2: They're not.
Speaker 1: They're not as far off from challenging back.
Speaker 3: But it starts entering dice tras. They don't start wating because if they're not top performing, they're not top for me. They can't. They can't win it. They're not top four for me. It's too hard. No one can win it basically if they're not I think.
Speaker 4: I saw that the Broncos could finish out the top four, get right on back and they can make a run at it.
Speaker 3: But I don't think the Warriors can. You can't not not you know.
Speaker 2: The Roosters on Sunday, it's a big game. It's a huge game and I was just thinking about last year if this, if this game was drawn, we're probably all tipping the Warriors.
Speaker 4: The four that they were in almost tipped the Warriors. This week, well, had a feeling there is a red hot, but just had a feeling, you know, just feeling fell at the Warriors. At some point they're too good to keep playing the way they are.
Speaker 2: Flying up the name, which we haven't say, I think people saying since twenty nineteen.
Speaker 3: I didn't tip them. I said almost, we're just having to go. We're having to go.
Speaker 5: Well, you're just embarrassing.
Speaker 2: It's a good games this weekend, Jesus, A good game.
Speaker 1: We're touching on size and a bit of radic at the moment.
Speaker 2: Where do we rank Tigers starts this year?
Speaker 3: Can we come on slack? Seriously?
Speaker 4: They're better football team this year. You don't think they've been a better football team this year.
Speaker 5: They're definitely better.
Speaker 3: They definitely said better than what they were.
Speaker 2: The results aren't showing that.
Speaker 5: The results are not showing it because.
Speaker 3: They haven't been the last five weeks.
Speaker 5: They haven't been better.
Speaker 1: They haven't been able to string for very few performances or eighty minutes. They can't find eighty minutes.
Speaker 2: But they are a better side they were last year, but have to games no otherwise.
Speaker 4: But it's a gradual process, right and they won the Wooden Spoon last year and the year before, so it's not going to happen over No, I don't know what people thought off the one played well during the season, that's something they were going to be.
Speaker 2: I think people I would have thought they would have won more games.
Speaker 3: Well, they'll probably end up hopefully at the end of the year, the end more than last year.
Speaker 4: Well, the way they go at the moment, they are But so what would that say, Well, that would say that they've improved and.
Speaker 1: Mate, they've got with all due respect, have you seen that South like the Dragons can't beat South and.
Speaker 2: You've got a funny one one game Brandy Alexander tipped South to Boat Saints.
Speaker 3: Did you said about.
Speaker 2: I don't know what Brandy has been in Japan for the last few weeks. He went and got ship of Psyche for South. It was over there.
Speaker 4: I think I think the criticism of Toy is a bit off the mark. I think it's a bit harsh. They haven't got better from last year.
Speaker 5: I think it's I don't think it's over.
Speaker 1: I think that there's criticisms warranted of where they're going, But I don't think where they're going, of where they're at at the moment.
Speaker 2: Rights kicks that goal. They have got one win on the board have lost one game and that was it. They played like he didn't like. The criticism is warranted, but I don't think they're going anywhere near as bad as they happened the last couple of years.
Speaker 3: And Rich has just got his feet under the table. Benji is going to do with the witch's hats out on the foot field. He's changed the changing the ross to day. It's a process. Let's talk about the process.
Speaker 4: Give him some time. He's been there two seconds. Give him some time.
Speaker 3: Benji's only been the head coach, and he was there last year and he probably was probably was coaching the side.
Speaker 2: I'm sitting somewhere in between here of your criticism and your optimism. I think there's a middle ground.
Speaker 3: I'm not who've got the few of the pragmat I'm not.
Speaker 2: As critical as that, but I think I'm not a misstic that they've turned the corner yet.
Speaker 4: I'm not saying they've turned the corner. I'm saying they're better, and give them time. It takes time.
Speaker 3: When you've been where they are doing four a decade, you can't expect overnight success. It will take time.
Speaker 2: So what about this weekend against the Newcastle.
Speaker 3: Night, Well tip them be about tipicate as well the Nights.
Speaker 5: If the Nights win, that's huge.
Speaker 1: Three from three without huge, and if they can somehow get in a position that they're competing for a top eighth spot when Kalen gets back in what ten weeks time.
Speaker 3: I think their goal, my understanding was the goal was to win it. If they thought if they could.
Speaker 4: Win five of those ten games and then Carlyn comes back to be pass make the three already three to three unbelievable.
Speaker 2: Ever, men, you just touched on Richo just having a major influence in turning that club around. The big biggest question of all is Sefano.
Speaker 3: Sense the process though Stefano, that's the biggest question.
Speaker 2: Well, that's going to be like when once that story hits on what he does. That will provide a lot of clarity around that rockster.
Speaker 4: I reckon their rank out sorry is to keep him at the moment rank out side. I don't think as it stands right now, the Stefano will be there next Well, he might be there next year because of the clause. If he is there next year, I don't think you'll be there the year after. Yeah, I agree with that, unless there's a dramatic change in some way.
Speaker 2: Wasn't there an indication that they're going to put a long term dealt Yes, yes, but that still may not be because you would think that if he's available to talk to other clubs rival clubs, is still going to put a long term deal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it's interesting.
Speaker 4: Just one of the clubs he was linked with was Penrith, obviously, but if they signed Dave for feed, he can put a line through Penrith, But then maybe the gold cust centers the equations.
Speaker 2: So I just think that'll give us a great indication on the trajectory of the tiger, if one of the great.
Speaker 4: So I don't know that it will Dave, because I think Stefano's mind was made up a long time before. It's been made up for a while. Clauses in Yes, I don't think Stefano. I don't think.
Speaker 3: Look, if they convincing to stay, it's a great endorsement for the carbon. But in my mind, well from what the way I understand it, it doesn't matter. I think Stefano wants to look elsewhere.
Speaker 2: So surely if you were if that was the case six months ago this time last year, when things were SHAMBOI and Benji's come in and you're happy your your mind could change.
Speaker 4: I think, well, I don't think it would take a significant shift for the mind to change.
Speaker 3: I don't. I don't think there's been a significant shift.
Speaker 4: I think there's been a shift, a positive shift, but I'm not sure it's enough.
Speaker 2: They have signed, and Louiu.
Speaker 3: Was a good signing for them. They snuck under the guard of the dragons and.
Speaker 4: Whoever else was in for him to signing was another positive signs an upwards but.
Speaker 5: Pod question Chris wants.
Speaker 1: Sousini recruitment targets Cody, Walker and Cook move on early due to high price tag and future succession planned. Can't see Bennett keeping a thirty four and thirty two year old for three years. Well, I don't think they'll be keeping him for three years. They're both contracted for a further twelve months. I'd be shocked if Wayne moves Cody on. I don't think that will happen.
Speaker 3: I think I don't think they'll resigning though.
Speaker 1: I don't think they'll resigning, but he'll become a year by year proposition. I guess if Wayne gets in there and how whatever, the coach just gets in there and has a look, and Damien cooks an interesting one.
Speaker 5: I think he wants to retire Rabbit.
Speaker 1: I think they've spoken about a transition post football of staying at the club and working in a role there that what does that mean if he goes elsewhere.
Speaker 2: For twelve months or twenty four months?
Speaker 1: How do you balance that You're you know, a guaranteed job post footy to extend your NRL career elsewhere for twelve months.
Speaker 5: That's where it gets tricky. Look, I think if Damien.
Speaker 2: Cook hit the market, someone would sign him for twelve months or because they's just because there's just no there's not a lot of hook as anything like the Dragons. I'd say I hadn't spoken to any one there, but you'd assume that if he hit the open market as a stopgap solution, they might look at him.
Speaker 5: You know, I'm sure other clubs would as well.
Speaker 3: You haven't spoken to anyone there. You're their pseudo recruitment.
Speaker 5: Stave's job now, not about not about Damian Cook?
Speaker 3: Who about them?
Speaker 2: I think? I think to Chris who.
Speaker 3: He's got something?
Speaker 5: I don't have anything.
Speaker 2: I don't have anything to Chris's question in relation to South Sydney recruitment targets. It all comes down to Wayne Bennett. And I spoke to someone very close to Wayne this week and I asked if Wayne had had to look at the South Sidney salary cap as yet, because once Wayne looks at the South Sidney salary cap I think he's in for a few super I think he's getting in for a few surprises. And that is when we'll see some some tapping on the shoulders, some phone calls to managers of current players and say listen, if you feel like you can get another deal for your player, we suggest you do. And I think that will happen, and then we'll see target wise recruitment, see who Wayn can bring in. I don't know who that is at this point in time.
Speaker 1: Peter wants to know, is it hard to writing negative stories about players and coaches that you really like?
Speaker 3: Horrible? Horrible? And Brad's an example.
Speaker 4: I really like Brad, Brad Arthur, but I've written written a couple of stories that insteader a couple of things I'm sure Brad doesn't like.
Speaker 3: It's horrible, but it's part of that job. Job someone.
Speaker 4: We've got to tell you some hard truth and have an opinion.
Speaker 2: We all like JD. I don't think anyone that doesn't like j D. But we're all of the.
Speaker 1: We're all of the decision, Like I was comfortable with the decision for JD to be moved on at Souse. Right, that's a prime example where we're all saying the fact that you know JD's time is done despite the fact.
Speaker 4: Of manage was one manage is a classic example. You're right about Madge in the future declared, I.
Speaker 2: Don't think the subject has an issue so long as you're not over inflating or over dramatizing or making a personal situation. Well, if you if you report, if you're reporting actually on what is happening at the footy club, what are the results, what's the impact? What behind the scenes decisions are being made around there. We're using a head coach as an example. I don't they can't. They can't be too disenchanted with your style of reporting because you're only reporting fact. If a player has a missed the matter off the field, we report fact. If it's involved in the police charges, we report police charges. The subject cannot have an opportunity to complain about that style of reporting. It's when it becomes personal and all.
Speaker 4: It's when you wait into opinion as well. I mean sometimes we write comment pieces that again, that was the class of example. Manage was a classic example where you asked your opinion of whether he should still be coaching. I mean at the time, I think I was saying that, you know, either him or Luke Brooks has to go, one of them has to go to resolve it, and Manage didn't like it.
Speaker 2: When the end, You're right, Lieutenant wants to know if they've isn't it less than one hundred and fifty thousand?
Speaker 1: Then does this impact other second rollers value in the market if they're asking for the same money and are the same ability.
Speaker 5: So if David Feeda resets the.
Speaker 1: Market value of a gun back roller at eight hundred and fifty thousand, does that have a flowing effect for Jaden Sawer Angus Crichton.
Speaker 4: No, I mean he's already reset the market. It's taking a play cut to go there.
Speaker 2: Well, that's what they're saying though. If he's worth eight fifty does that mean Angus Crichton's.
Speaker 3: Well, they say it's less. That's what I'm assuming.
Speaker 1: Does that does that impact the market for someone like Jaden Are or Angus Crichton, I'd say no, because those discussions are probably.
Speaker 4: Scarcity effects that that that impacts the impacts there they the lack of available back rollers who are out there. I mean, I think Jayden's value has sort of gone up a little bit. You know, he's obviously held out the initial contract offer from the Dragons, played good footy, and I think what's impacted his value is that there's not a lot of second.
Speaker 3: Rowers out there. Not a lot of edge back rollers played good.
Speaker 5: Football at the moment. If you're looking for about middle impacted the development of players, it's just not.
Speaker 3: A lot out there. Expansion was well a little bit.
Speaker 2: Archie wants to know who should play half back for the Cowboys moving forward, Chad Townsend or Jake Clifford moving forward, where though, when I'm assuming this season the season, I'd stick with Chad and then if.
Speaker 5: It's not this season, Chad's.
Speaker 2: Contracts done and the restimated experienced staff back.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I think Chad for the time being and in the end of the season, I don't know.
Speaker 3: I don't know what the systems like off contract.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Chap wants to go around again next year.
Speaker 4: That's what I'm saying. I'm not sure whether I go around with chat again next year. It's particularly if they underperform this year. I agree they've got to shake it.
Speaker 3: Up those things.
Speaker 1: I stick with Chad at the moment, and then if he can't guide them into the finals again, decision will be made before then, obviously, but if they're not pushing for a final spot, then it's time to move on. I stay with me here, Scott Scott Scott thoughts on my bunk or solution. They only get three views at normal speed if they can't see an obvious error. The ref decision stands speeds up, the process still eliminates the how that stops the nitpicking game isn't played slow mate, so it shouldn't be repped that way either.
Speaker 2: No, no, sorry, Scotty, do you need slow mo I get where you're coming from. The you know the slow mote twenty seven times? I don't like. However, when you're when you're assessing a grounding of a football, can we just put a caveat that? The happy chorus ow Troy isn't part of this discussion? That was a hour When you are assessing a grounding of a footy. You have to be able to assess separation in slow you have to.
Speaker 5: And I don't like capping.
Speaker 2: People say I don't like capp in the replace What if you need a focebook at it to get it right? Yeah, that's right. Do you know what I mean? Like it's people want to put a time frame on it.
Speaker 1: And stuff like that. I don't think you can do that. Another one around the bunker. This was an email from Matt. In rugby union, at the moment, the on field officials and television and match official is that a team work together for the initial decision, with the on field wrap often leading the discussion as they're the ones who need to justify it with the players on the field. Decisions that are on the field that are yellow red border are yellow card and then the bunker has seven minutes to review.
Speaker 2: Confused.
Speaker 5: In rugby union, this is the match official.
Speaker 2: What do they do? They communicate with the bunker and talk. Can I give you some advice? Can we not try and replicate anything to do with rugby union?
Speaker 3: Yeah? How about we just get the people in the bunker to do a better job.
Speaker 2: Exactly.
Speaker 4: Well, the technology is not the issue never has been. How do people say, blow out the bunker? The issue is in the bunker, draws me inside.
Speaker 2: I probably got you in the podcast, just getting people to do a better job.
Speaker 4: Thanks man, buddy, thank The issue is instinct that the people are bunker to do a better job.
Speaker 2: I'm going to stick a roast chicken in the oven to.
Speaker 3: I'm good.
Speaker 2: Just you could go the whole vegetables and all that jad potatoes, carrots, pumpkin, right, However, I'm not going to do that. This is I'm not going to do that. I'm just going to keep roast chi simple and maybe some lemones for flat bread and make some chicken wraps of.
Speaker 4: Make a suggestion in your chicken, your stuff with a lemon, lemon, garlic and what do you call it? I actually I didn't give a lot of thought. I won't have chicken that chicken. I'm thinking maybe something on the road history on the web.
Speaker 5: It's raining.
Speaker 3: It's on the cover, mate, it's on the decks, on the deck. You don't even thinking about getting.
Speaker 4: Those Weber barbecue outside, buying a pizza pizza oven to go with it.
Speaker 2: Have you got any rock box?
Speaker 5: Does it?
Speaker 2: Hey?
Speaker 3: Listen, it's actually the one you sent me.
Speaker 2: Gos rock box is the greatest invention, greatest pizza raven you will ever ever get. You make your own d Yeah, and it's a wood you get the wood fire crisp edges, right because it's it's a flame, it's a rolling flame. Right, and you cook pizzas in two minutes.
Speaker 3: Could I put that on my deck or to be a fire hazard?
Speaker 2: No, I've got mine on my deck.
Speaker 4: Okay, I'm going to buy you did send me to me reviewed it and the reviews were amazing. But there's one issue. I haven't nailed my pizza basis. So your pace for us.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I'll get that all right.
Speaker 5: Thanks everyone for joining. Grabbing chicken pesto pasta.
Speaker 2: I think, well.
Speaker 3: He's he hate pesto.
Speaker 5: Two fussiest seeds that I've ever encountered.
Speaker 4: Can't tell quick pesto story, the quick one my dad. My dad come down to visit. He said, I'm going to cook your meals. I'm going to cook salmon for you. You coated and pesto ruined.
Speaker 2: This says