Speaker 1: Well, we just jumped straight into it.
Speaker 2: Eight end of day eight here in Paris.
Speaker 3: Another goal for Australia.
Speaker 4: We got to that shortly, but talk about all the action and things we've seen right throughut the day of James maguson World Champ two.
Speaker 3: Time to live in Maggie, hell A, you pal, you're going good.
Speaker 5: Another great day.
Speaker 6: Maddie looked little bit a bit of fatigue at the fall when night eight. Usually the meat would be over by now. For whatever reason, they've dragged it out in Paris. We've got one more day to go. But a very exciting day as well. We saw some finals of the athletics, some tough weather conditions for the athletes out there, and then that medal tally America.
Speaker 5: And Australia is getting closer and closer.
Speaker 3: We didn't get that metal ra after which would have made history. Might be tomorrow night. But Maggie, I'm going to say that last event that we saw.
Speaker 4: There, your critical critical love it before it took place, and it was I'm going to say after it was strange to watch.
Speaker 3: You want to explain it.
Speaker 6: The mixed medoley real a Mati. I would call it the egg and spoon race. Of the Olympic Games. It is fastical. You've got men swimming against women. I mean, we've seen it in the boxing and nobody likes it. There we comes to the pool, we've got men swimming against women. Kaylee McEwen won the gold medal in thee hundred meters backstroke. She goes up against Ryan Murphy, who got bronze in the men's one hundred backstroke. There's about a fifteen meter difference on their own. They're both amazing products. Put them together. I don't know why we want to compare male athletes and female athletes, and then the race itself just ends up this absolute jungle of one person's ten meters ahead and the other team switches. You've got male breastrokers best female breastrokers, males freestyles versus. It's just a shambles of an event. I can't understand why it's at the Olympic Games, and I can't understand giving out Olympic medals to that event, Like you're telling me at the end of the day that that's worth the same as like an individual gold for an Arione TIPMSS in the four hundred freestyle.
Speaker 5: It's not comparable.
Speaker 4: Honest, put it another swim that Kaylee McEwan doesn't need.
Speaker 3: I want to talk about that, right, So Kaylee looking at her like the.
Speaker 4: Last couple of nights she swims a little bit of irest back out there. The amount of volume she has to go through a different strokes, different distances, A question for it her.
Speaker 3: Training, like her preparation.
Speaker 4: How long does she spend in the pool compared to someone who's got say one hundred freestyle, that's all I have, yep.
Speaker 6: So say a hundred freestyle, let's go. Kyle Charmers would do probably seven swimming sessions a week, up to forty to fifty kilometers a week. A Kaylee McEwan, in preparing for this Olympic Games and the volume that she's doing, would be doing nine sessions a week up to eighty kilometers a week in the pool. It's chalk and cheese and what I think it does At times, I just wonder how good could Kaylee be at that one hundred backstroke if she specialized in time. This is the first time she's made the final of a two hundred. I am at a big meat GS. She looked tired out there in lane one. She has been quick enough to probably win that event. But what a week from Kaylee. I mean, she's a tough race where she gets in a dog fight, she fights to the final, the final stroke, but Jesus a big week and she's up again tomorrow night in the medley relay.
Speaker 4: I'm curious about this, Maggie. So the men and the women do they train similar? What are the differences in preparation, Like do the women do a lot of work in the weights room and stuff like that.
Speaker 6: It's pretty much, it's pretty much even on both. Surprisingly, I'm sure you've seen the physiques at the pool. The women, the female swimens have amazing physiques. They're very strong, body to weight ratio, low body fat percentage, and that's progressed a lot in probably the last decade. The female athletes now it's for me, just superior. They're amazing athletes. But of course the men naturally are going to carry a bit more bulk, similar workloads in terms.
Speaker 5: Of kilometers in the pool.
Speaker 6: But yeah, you have to take your hat off to people like Kaylee, Arianne Molly.
Speaker 5: We've seen them all five, six, seven times this week already.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it's funny talking about that, Like your styles training the Dutch the two thousand Olympics, the Dutch swim team trained in Newcastle while and they are using some of the same facility as we did. I'm trying to think she was a legend inger Bruin's in. She's in there, mate, She's doing squats and rope climbs. She u's a machine where Peter fana Hoogen, Yeah, he very rarely went in the gym.
Speaker 3: He was just a technician in the pool.
Speaker 6: Probably a different approaches. She was a power athlete. Funny little story about Peter van hugen Man. So when they brought out the supersuits, Peter couldn't wear the supersuit because he had a concave chest and did fill up with water. So when you saw Peter going head to head with Michael Phelps and I thought they're in the big suits.
Speaker 5: And Peter's just got the legs on.
Speaker 6: He had what every every pirate wants, the very chest.
Speaker 4: Sorry, Peter, another you want to ask you about it, right, and being a layman just sitting in the standing, what's going on. So what we've seen with Kaylin McEwen is she'll she'll have a race, win a gold goes off.
Speaker 3: She might't be it emitslate, she's back out there again. Yeah, I want to ask you this.
Speaker 4: Right, Let's say, for instance, I was swimming in an event first up, and I had to swim after.
Speaker 3: In the first event, I was a rough chance of a bronze medal.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: In the second swim, which is an hour after, I'm a very good chance of gold.
Speaker 3: You're my coach, what do we do.
Speaker 6: We'd be specializing, we'd be picking which one is your main event, and we'd be scrapping the other if they fell on the same night.
Speaker 5: And historically that is what Kaylie's done in the past.
Speaker 6: She has specialized in that backstroke and therefore flicked off that two hundred. I am, but this meants she's gone for the treble. Didn't quite get it. But what it does, it gives you a little bit of extra appreciation for a guy like Leo marsha and who's got up done two two hundreds in the same night, one gold in both, crowded feet of a pitch in both and managed to say level emotionally and get through that without a hitch.
Speaker 3: If the coach asked you to pull out of one, would you.
Speaker 5: Yeah. Absolutely.
Speaker 6: We always specialize the coaches when I was assuming, we're obsessed with getting me to do the two hundred free sole and therefore the four by two hundred relay. So if you can do the hundred, why would you want me to do an extra two laps and do an extra twenty kilometers a week.
Speaker 5: I'm specializing, baby.
Speaker 3: Do you think?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Right? I like that. Do you think that? Do you think there's something else swimmers are spreading themselves with too, think?
Speaker 5: Well, not on this team.
Speaker 6: I think particularly these girls at the moment are as talented as swim as we've ever seen that they're up to the workload. For Kaylee, this is the first Olympics she's done it, so maybe she needs to do it in a few more World Champs or comm Games before she gets a proper chance at triple Golden Olympic Games. But I've been so impressed by it, by her by Arianne again tonight. So she's done two four hundreds, four two hundreds, and now two eight hundreds.
Speaker 5: That's Ariane. That's kilometers of race I got.
Speaker 4: I am blown away by the amount of volume, because I mean, in my sport, I don't want your rebel league sent you.
Speaker 3: But like sports, you know, rebul league and ah and whatnot.
Speaker 4: It is like playing a first half of football your naw, could you go in your sheds and you come back at the second half and you're playing against a completely.
Speaker 3: New fresh team. Yeah, it's remarkable.
Speaker 6: They're so mentally tough for these girls as well, which is why I think sometimes they're underappreciated. We'll look back in twenty years time, I'll be telling my grandkids I was there to witness Kaylee McEwen, Arion Tipmas and Molly O'Callahan.
Speaker 5: And I don't think we quite.
Speaker 6: Appreciate that at the moment, because I know in two thousand all we spoke about was Thor Packett, Susie O'Neil. We are now in the era of O'Callahan, McEwen and Tiitmas and it'll be remembered throughout history.
Speaker 5: But we really need to appreciate it right here and.
Speaker 4: Now tomorrow night which concludes. Firstly, I'll ask you do we get that goal? Do you think the breaks the breaks all the record?
Speaker 5: Okay, so Australia on seven, gold us on six.
Speaker 6: This is a proper fight now for who is the most superior aswimming nation in the world.
Speaker 5: There's four events tomorrow night fifty three.
Speaker 6: Neither are Australia or the US realistically win a gold there fifteen hundred three same deal. So it comes down to those last two four by one hundred IM relays. If America wins one or both, they top us on the medal tally. If we win one or both, we top America. So buckle up for that.
Speaker 7: Now tomorrow night.
Speaker 4: It's a bit of notice tomorrow and I'm going to ask you a question at the conclusion of this who's your top five Australian swimmers from year to including the two thousand of week?
Speaker 3: So from two thousand forwards?
Speaker 4: Who were our top five greatest swimmers from five to one?
Speaker 3: You might make a couple of enemies.
Speaker 5: Oh yeah, that's all good.
Speaker 3: That's called a hookan too.
Speaker 4: Right now talking about athletes, news calls Brent Reid ready, hey, yep, now you have been the kiss of death.
Speaker 3: No Australians did a hamstring out there today?
Speaker 7: Well it wasn't a great day. We went all right, made undred?
Speaker 3: Can we send Dave Ricky.
Speaker 7: Winding gold medals on the bikes? We should start one hundred day made because it's one of the Blue Ribbon events of the Olympic Games. Right the women's hundred medals Julian Alfred won. It was a bit bit of a ball over because a lot of people called Hikari Ridge, don't we should start with the controversy because there's a lot of controversy out there to day with Shelley and Fraser Price. She didn't shop for a semi final and she was ju to run against Shikari and Brie Masters. Josie Girl didn't turn up in the blocks. No one knew why, and there's a lot of mystery around this that subsequently come out on social media. There's a video of her arriving arriving at the Walmart track today in a private car. She got refused entry, had an argument argument with security over why she couldn't get into the into the warm up track, and subsequently now she's pulled out of the semifinals earlier today. So we'll get to the bottom of eventually. Two time Olympic Chamber Maddie silver medalist in Tokyo, one of the great spinners of the world in the history of the world, of all time basically, and didn't turn up for the semi final.
Speaker 3: That's incredible. I mean, I'll been knocked knocked back entry a few night did you keep going back? I still turned up on Grand Finals.
Speaker 7: That's that's bizarre, and it's a huge story because no one knows the truth at the moment where I was down in the mix signe afterwards trying to get athletes. You can see journals looking at their phones and ringing people and trying to get to the bottom of what happened. And it sounds like Maggie is the one is closest to the mark. But there was a bit of talking about a Hammi problem. But you know, obviously there's videos appeared on social media of her, as I said, arguing with security at the warm up track, and there's a bit of talk that maybe that prompted her to go, well, it's not good enough, I'm not going to run, which I would find amazing four years preparation.
Speaker 5: So it's a rainy World Champion and event right as well.
Speaker 6: This is all Francis had some pr nightmares this Olympics, but this one is right up there. She is one of the golden girls of the track. She's had a baby, gone away, come back as a mother and was a red hot shot at winning this race, particularly when you see the time they won in tonight and now she's been refused to entry.
Speaker 5: This is not going to go down well, it's been some big.
Speaker 3: Ones over lived for Christie did the full start and then just laid on the track.
Speaker 7: Today in the English sky up an English guy who ran in the very first heat of the day. It was Josh has a party of the strains. He got think for memory. He had a false start, basically wouldn't leave the track, was arguing with the officials that stood there, wouldn't go there. He came in the press comments afterwards he did the meat at Mixon and he said, look, I don't think I broke it's not fair and basically what you can do then is protest and if you're successful, he runs on his own, one hundred of his own to try and get So that was That's how the day started with that, and it's just you know, it's sort of speared out of control of that. But Julian Elfred great story about its sin Lusha. Yeah, population one hundred and eighty thousand, tiny island in the Caribbean.
Speaker 3: And give some bragging rights over Draanka.
Speaker 7: And it's produced the one hundred meter champion of the world and she carry Richson got up stage because when everyone thought this was her Olympics, you know, shall start in the sprinter series.
Speaker 5: It wasn't that close to him, was it.
Speaker 8: No.
Speaker 7: And it's funny because they ran against each other in the semi final earlier, and Alfred won that pretty easily too, and then she's come out and won the final pretty easily.
Speaker 5: We saw the images of the track when they're running. It's pouring rain right before it and the track is wet.
Speaker 6: Would that affect the times at all because they're entitled and they're wearing spikes and new drummers.
Speaker 7: You're asking the wrong blakeman that's on the car two days We'll tell you what.
Speaker 3: Noel Lyles, Yeah, he sues the boil over today. Think about sprinting. You don't know.
Speaker 4: We're talking about the semis year one hundred. You don't know how much they hold back. But I must say he didn't trot over the line like you're saying Bolt used to.
Speaker 3: He came third. I think you're in ten for the young English guy.
Speaker 7: Great now that is the yes, it is.
Speaker 3: He ran nine point nine to eight, so there's some pressure on knowing he's.
Speaker 7: A great story mate. I mean, this is a kid who was going to be a professional golfer. He got scouted by Manchester City, the Premier League club, but he wanted to be a sprinter. So he wrote an email to Carl Lewis, the legend legendary Carl Lewis. He said, what can I do to help my sprinting? And he's Carl Lewis is now taking him on. Carlowis is now his coach and during during the he has been coached by Carl Lewis, he has improved exponentially and he was magnificent today. I mean he left him, left Noah Lyles in his wake. So he's one to look out for in the Semis tomorrow. And I had a ton of confidence, they was saying going into it.
Speaker 3: He was saying, I'm going to win the gold. I'll beat this play.
Speaker 7: He's just he's just getting better and better and better. And when you're Carl Lewis in your corner, I mean he knows how to win gold medals, right.
Speaker 5: So what about Marcel who won the last Olympics from Italy.
Speaker 6: Everyone said it was a fluke. He hasn't won anything since he hasn't gotten closer to that time.
Speaker 7: Faded badly and he yeah, well the game he was on the Sprinter series, wasn't he the Sprinter Series? And he's had some injuries and some things sort of holding him back. But it's history repeat, it's a massive test for Lyles. He just turned it up as the goat. He's walked in the camp down the champs here, all that sort of stuff. He's come third.
Speaker 2: Again.
Speaker 3: We don't know how much you know, and you've said before, really he.
Speaker 4: Traveled through three three therapists, three therapists, So you know that says that you're a blot that can be pretty easy rattled.
Speaker 7: It's funny matter because when she Carrie riches someone her heat yesterday, she just walked straight through the mix and didn't talk to anyone. Noah Laws ran in his heat today and he stopped. Did two media interviews, and again he talked about that issue. He said he's basically getting around in glasses and a cap based to try and hide away from people hiding the back. I'm picturing one of those groucho marks with a mustache.
Speaker 3: Well, well it's the thing. Ruden.
Speaker 4: Today he didn't interview and he's gone from being this extravert suddenly saying I'm getting noticed all the time.
Speaker 3: It's freaking me out.
Speaker 5: Which one is it?
Speaker 3: You sort of get sense of by the company part. It seems a little bit.
Speaker 7: Well, he didn't run great today, but as you said, it's only the heat and they hold things back in the heat, and you know he's going to be there. I reckon in the final and give it a real shake.
Speaker 4: Now, Ossie Ollihaw's terrific, real fifteen hundred meters.
Speaker 7: You didn't make it, Yeah, come off games champ.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 7: So he was in the report charge we spoke about last night, which is ridiculous, right, got a second got a second chance. And again there was three of them, Adam Spencer and Suey McSwain. They're all in the report charge and they missed out on the semis and he spoke about it afterwards, Olly Hawd. What he spoke about was the criticism and flak he copped on social media after ran so poorly in his heat, and he said he's just been hammered on social media as a result of that. And again, you know these guys they're all on social media and a pre masters. That's how she makes the money's that's her job, her social media profile and using social media. But Leves does leave you open to become a target Nollie who didn't run great and got hammer.
Speaker 3: And that's the thing people of our generation really we go. I'll just get off it. But it's part of the week.
Speaker 6: If you're racing, you log out of your social media, give you manage of the logins. They post the content and read in reply to any of the comments. To be on social media, reading comments from other people, getting rattled the day of your race. That's something that a really young inexperience. After we're doing I'm super surprised at.
Speaker 3: That you're here, they're going to realize they're listening to.
Speaker 4: You know, they're basically listened to forty year old men who are living in a basement at their parents' house.
Speaker 3: They're in the So that's true.
Speaker 7: They were really affecting in Mattie. You know, he went out today. He ran hard, but obviously couldn't get the job done done the Its a real disappointment for him because there were high hopes around Eli Whore at these games.
Speaker 3: I pumped Tory Lewis and the two hundred. The girl from Newcastle. I pumped fellow Nova Castri.
Speaker 7: Good omens to mat because you got drawn in laye nine in the very first heat of the day when she beat co Ridges in the London So I don't know they was trying to dining league early this year. She ran and lay nine. So there's good omens there, Mattic, so I hopefully she didn't get the job done again.
Speaker 5: He was going to say good omens. He's not going to the track tomorrow.
Speaker 7: I'll be there.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 4: Now, boys, when I say ninety two million, who do you immediately think of.
Speaker 7: Only one man? Only one Badella.
Speaker 3: Let's talk boxing with Pete.
Speaker 7: It's probably up the ninety three by now.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 4: Boxing has been one of the biggest talking points of the Olympics, joined by News Corps Peter Bedell, mister ninety two million, Apeter, you're at the fight today. The Algerian fighters step back into the ring.
Speaker 3: What took place?
Speaker 8: Another amazing day, boys, I mean it was. It's been the biggest story of the Olympics so far. And to see to be there on day one of the boxing there was probably about twenty or thirty journo's there. There was clear so you see the side of me for the first two or three days. In the last two days it's just grown exponentially and today every bit of the press tribune was taken.
Speaker 1: There were journalists sitting on the floor.
Speaker 8: Security with throwing and threatening to throw them out if they didn't get off the floor.
Speaker 1: There was not an empty seat and it was interesting. Boys.
Speaker 8: I took some photos of this media scrum because I've never seen anything like it in my life, but that there it is. There three hundred journos in the mix zone where the athletes come to explain their performances, and Magaz has been there himself. Just it was pandemonium and you had journos basically going up to the speaker to try and get the audio.
Speaker 3: It was quite.
Speaker 1: Never seen anything.
Speaker 2: Man.
Speaker 4: What was the reaction of the crowd when the Algerian fighter When you're doing.
Speaker 8: So the irony is Khalif is getting a ground swell of support. I thought there'd be boos for Khalif when she came out to the ring. I think that the tide is turning. There are people that feel sorry for her. And as she was walking through the ring, they were all cheese and then her Hungarian opponent, Harmauri came out and there were boots for her Maury, so amazing stuff. But after about when she won comprehensively khalifh she then punched the canvas and screened out her name and then burst out the tear is. It was this remarkable paradox of emotions. Where she went from was almost the siege mentality to say stuff, you all one.
Speaker 4: Things like this peak. It's very easy to lose the human side, you know what I mean? Yeah, I always bring it back to and it's very calm one. But if that was your child, yes, it's as I said, there's.
Speaker 3: Been no winners in this mess.
Speaker 4: The Italian fighter, I thought, showed who Khaliff showed a lot of classes. She apologized for not shaking Leiff's hand after their bout, and it.
Speaker 1: Was fascinating, Maddy.
Speaker 8: The twist to that was the IBA, the International Boxing Association, giving her a fifty thousand dollars US payment, a bonus payment which they only had reserved for the gold medalist in this tournament. If you want gold in this tournament, you were to get fifty thousand US dollars. They gave that to Karini for losing in the round of sixteen. Now to me, that smacks of a political up yours to the IOC, and then the IBA is disgusted at the fact that they're being kicked off from the governance this it's been handed over the IOC for to supposedly clean up the sport. They've now created a bigger inferno than we've ever seen. So I think this is the IBA's way of saying stuff, you you think we can do a good job.
Speaker 5: Or what have you created?
Speaker 2: Now?
Speaker 3: Full we got? Where does Calif fight again?
Speaker 8: So she fights on the sixth of August, another three days, so she has a few days off now, but she's she's got a guaranteed bronze medal, which I think is a pr disaster for the IOC. They should be ashamed of the way they've handled this. I think Thomas Barker, president should resign. I think this has been shamefully shambolic and they don't have any understanding of this issue. And she can win goal for me, and I think she will. I think she's the best fighter in this competition, but still to be seen what happens.
Speaker 3: Story rolls on. Good on your appreciate it, Mane.
Speaker 1: Thanks Maney ninety four million.
Speaker 3: Jess Holdering up next, Well, Jess up to ninety.
Speaker 1: Six man, Can I join this show?
Speaker 8: Can we just have like the Momber the missile and Maddie I'm big in Germany apparently just does.
Speaker 3: Crash through sixty.
Speaker 1: Here we can.
Speaker 3: And we're welcome. Jess hollerin now you come with the big story of the day for Australia. We win gold.
Speaker 5: Yeah, huge day for us.
Speaker 9: At the tennis, John Piers and Matthew Ebden won the doubles and it was a dog fight. It was. It was pretty epic, like they looked like they were they were almost lost it in the second set and they were a breakdown and they were four two down and then finally they fought back and this game was completely decided on tiebreakers and so yeah, it was hard in.
Speaker 1: The mouth starts.
Speaker 3: Well, they weren't the stars at the show, that no.
Speaker 5: Absolutely not.
Speaker 9: Alie. This the gorgeous daughter of John Pierce. She's seven years of age and she was standing there the whole time, crossing her fingers in this final tiebreak, just willing on her dad because her dad has promised her if he wins and met it, then she can take it.
Speaker 5: To show and tells the best who played together in doubles outside of the Olympic team.
Speaker 9: Not often right, and so John Piers is not the most highest ranked doubles player. Matthew Eddin is obviously a very accomplished singles player, a great doubles player, but he chose John just for his fortitude and how much he really wanted to meddle here he's medal boring.
Speaker 4: Now water pilo, the men's water polo side. What a win over Hungry And so you go to Hungary, you do not realize how big a sport. It's their national sport. So that is enormous victory.
Speaker 9: Yeah, it's also a humongous victory. This is a team that's never won a medal at the Olympics, the Sharks, and they're really building to something special here. You've got ten debutants, you know. Blake Edwards today he's one of the co captains, said it was simply unbelievable that they've brought down Serbia and brought down Hungry.
Speaker 3: That's awesome. And finally a silver medal and a windsurfing.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 9: With Gray Morris, who is a former schoolboy rugby. He was part of the first fifteen at Cranbrook.
Speaker 3: We want to be cheerfully South with the Wolf.
Speaker 7: Yeah. Yeah, it was a great one.
Speaker 4: Good one is jes we better We're really out of the just the bitch he's uh, would you believe it?
Speaker 9: Didn't believe me?
Speaker 3: Kind of BMR go