Speaker 1: Hi, Christy Casters, and welcome to another episode. I'm excited about this because I spun the wheel and today we've landed on music makers and joining me as one of the most fashionable men in the music biz and responsible for some of the defining songs of mine probably your generation. It is you am I frontman Tim Rogers. Twelve albums, five solo albums, an amazing book. My god, please put your hands together, and welcome to the Christy Cast, the delightful, intriguing, elegant Tim Rogers. Welcome to the Christy Cast. Tim Rogers. Hey, great to see you. Thank you so much for coming on.
Speaker 2: Ye, it's a wonderful privilege.
Speaker 1: Now see you. I have spun up originally the music makers and that's where you come in. And then we've spun up the diary entry. I found my old diary.
Speaker 2: That brand must have been on eighty five. Yes, you know, when this came there was a prospect of us talking about diary amongst the other things, which horrified me.
Speaker 1: Ha ha ha ha.
Speaker 2: But in one of the lockdown's sort of a time well let's not talk about it again. But I went back to my old study books, law books and literature books from university, which I hadn't opened in thirty seven years, and because I thought how embarrassing it would be, because I'm one to take little notes in the marginalia, in the margins, in the marginalia, in the marginalia, which is possibly a misuse of a term, but what others called pretentious, I call aspirational. So I'll use it. And I found a bunch of books and looked and all the encryption little annotations thank you that I'd taken, they sounded exactly like me now, so the eighteen year old didn't sound that different to the fifty four year old, however old it was then, And it brought me quite a lot of peace for a while, because I disparaged that younger me as being a twit, and reading the annotations, I thought another time it was in Kenneth's lesser poetry books.
Speaker 1: It's a really interesting observation because I think that we are born exactly the way we are, and I feel the same as I always have. It's only my body that's older.
Speaker 2: I was wondering about this yesterday because I began reading Richard Flanagan's new book Question seven. Oh yeah, and he was good by the way so far, it's sexual exceptional. I'm a very big fan. I've never been more starstruck meeting anyone than Richard Flanagan in the Hope Ark pub in twenty seventeen. And or maybe it's for that, because we talked and I met his daughter Rosie, and the next day he had to break a date that we had because he said, I've got an idea for the last paragraph of the book I'm finishing. And it must have been before that, because the book was The Narrow Road to the Deep North, and so I went off to American tour the day after. But this Richard Flanagan's got a new novel coming out, was just reverberriting in my mind the whole time. And it was Narrow Road to the Deep North, which is easily one of my four favorite novels all time.
Speaker 1: And you were instrumental, not majoring. It happened because you didn't crack the shits when he canceled your date.
Speaker 2: I'm used to people cancel it. I mean, look at me. It was just quite something being in the presence of a novelist and that fiction writing has always intrigued me, and I've tried it and I'll try it again, but just that mind. Anyway, Richard was writing about how a not near the experience, but a death experience at the age of twenty one, how that did actually change him and who he was before that, and then this great trauma.
Speaker 1: What do you mean a death experience?
Speaker 2: Well it was. It involved canoeing kayaking in extremely treacherous waters. And I think my memory of the way he wrote about initially was trying to do the best straight I could be very wrong, or at least a section of it. And he was again just from memory, and I do apologize to Richard dead for a little while and was revived, and wow, he feels that his life since then is not a palimpsest but a version of himself. And so of course then I was thinking, I wonder if because feeling that I'm the same as the King Algolu at the age of two as I am at fifty five, just bodily a little different. Yeah, but my nose has stayed the same.
Speaker 1: You would talk about having to go at fiction. I read your memoir Detours.
Speaker 2: I got that to pay a hope.
Speaker 1: You just crossed your eyes.
Speaker 2: Well, it was an interesting experience. I met a lot of really wonderful people, my agent Melanie and Catherine Milne at HarperCollins, and met a lot of authors through that experience. So I'm really grateful for that experience. But I finished the book to pay a hotel bill in Calgooley. I went out there with my dad in about twenty fifteen to watch some footy and dad was very sick by that time, and we thought let's go out and see the footy finals because he was an umpire out there, and we racked up quite the tab at a number of cal Gooley's finest establishments. And when I came back, I started writing about it, and my agent, Melanie Ostell, said, You've really got to pursue this, and I thought, well, if I get a tiny advance, I can pay that bar tab and no hotel wow, Chalgoley. And so look, I'm pretty sure novelists have done and writers have written books for less noble means than paying bar tabs.
Speaker 1: Well, I signed a contract for a very regrettable job, and that was to get me out of a let's talk about it or no, I mean I can. So it was for like a must, you must. It was like a weight loss, you know, I think it was years and years ago before I worked out how I felt about that sort of stuff, you know, And now I don't talk about my body at all. It's not open for discussion.
Speaker 2: Was there a date that you had the point where you went yes and no, or just a feeling.
Speaker 1: It was part of kind of a raft of changes that I made in my life when I really started to interrogate how I felt about things, and you know, where I stood on things and what made me comfortable and uncomfortable, and that was that was one of them that I just went along with so many things because that's what's expected. And when you do that and it doesn't really fit you, you get you get sad, like very it's.
Speaker 2: Awful and anxious as well.
Speaker 1: I'm very anxious.
Speaker 2: Yes, you're representative of something that you don't have a belief in. And of course, gee, throughout history, haven't we just been you know, Look, there's a person looking this way. Oh you're a female. Yeah, that's it, let's pass comment. Yeah, I will remind you that you said that I'm taller than you thought it.
Speaker 1: Was you are taller than you that and I don't know why I thought you were tired because of the whole. I thought you were a tiny fellow.
Speaker 2: Well, the Rolling Stones are a classic example of that. Anyone who's ever met them will say humongous personalities. But my lord, they're diminutive.
Speaker 1: Which you are quite fine. So when I you is you are so fun No, like you're elegant. So, because I've never seen you in person, I just assumed that that elegance came in a smaller package.
Speaker 2: Which is a year and a half ago. It was very brief. It was at radio, and I remember it very finely.
Speaker 1: It was in and out, but we haven't like communed.
Speaker 2: Yeah. Yes, the cliches of the modern musician, I do grab many of them because I think that the cliches are being the wrong cliches. Are there that image of if you're an rock and roll band, you're supposed to be disrespectful and perennially lascivious and on the take, And there's elements of that that are fun and good to share, particularly if you can do all that and not trash a hotel room because that means hard to work for someone the next day, and as an ex hotel room cleaner and respectful and so people get hurt and so I think there's a way of being interesting and being inverted commas rock and roll, but doing it in a way where no one actually gets hurt or necessarily offended, because being offensive isn't part of being rock and roll. I think the only essential thing about being a rock and roll apart from the music, is just to be interesting, because we're supposed to do the things that others who thankfully edit themselves and think twice about their behavior. Where're supposed to be the ones who just jump And.
Speaker 1: Do you think you're an interesting person?
Speaker 2: I'm interested, and I've been in interesting circumstances, but at the core, I don't think I've met interesting people who have lived through horrific experiences and traumas and gone lived through it. I find that of incredible interest. And then met very very bookish, intelligent people. And I've met people who aren't bookish, but I have a brilliant human intelligence, and I'm not one of those, but I do. I think, listen, yeah, And I enjoy studying and learning, and so that's where the interests lie.
Speaker 1: How important is curiosity to you essential?
Speaker 2: And when, particularly with my father, when he got sick and before he died, and you were sick for a very long while, but he seemed to lose some of the curiosity that he lived with. And I found really intriguing about him. And it was mostly through pain because he was in a lot of pain, and when you're in pain, it's very difficult to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you can't think of anything else.
Speaker 2: No, with all great respect and love to him, I just thought, I just need to keep my curiosity up and not scleroticize and yeah, just kind of close up. And of course, with the good fortune that I've had health wise, as long as that lasts, the curiosity is there because just so much to learn. I picked up a book off a friend in Malmsbury the other day. We get together and drink and play records. And this was actually drinking tea and playing records, which was an anomaly. But he had a book on quantum biology. Now I've never started science. I'm interested in it, but this book on quantum biology is frying my brain with wonderful information. I didn't even know what existed. But it's about all.
Speaker 1: Those neuropathways getting forged through. I love that feeling too.
Speaker 2: It's just wonderful. I need.
Speaker 1: Oh No, sometimes I hate that feeling. Actually, I've just realized I had to learn about accounting, and it was like dragging a dead body over a fence in the middle of the night, Like I just it was so hard, and then frustratingly a week later it was like I'd never learned the thing. Yeah, there are some things that I do not like to create new neuropathways.
Speaker 2: For was the attempt to study accounting so you could become accountable?
Speaker 1: Well, no, it was just so that I knew about money. I don't know anything about money, and I'm scared of it, and I thought he's a good thing. You know, if you're scared of something, get to know it. I tried to get to know it. And I prefer ignorance to be honest if I end up, you know, in jail. Then you heard it here.
Speaker 2: First. I've said that to my accountant, who may may not be my mother, just last week.
Speaker 1: You're lucky.
Speaker 2: Well, yes i am. She's a wonderful woman and a great, great friend apart from my mother and possibly my accountant. But she said, haven't you been on the road all year? You haven't been home in four months? Said yep, you know you're broke. Oh no, okay, Okay.
Speaker 1: Maybe you could write the other book at the advance.
Speaker 2: Catherine Milne of Collins.
Speaker 1: What brings you joy? Tim Rodgers?
Speaker 2: Other people's happiness? I think I love. If I'm not struck by a blue I won't call it depression. That's another thing completely. But if I'm blue and other people's happiness, sometimes I take that as I get envious of it. But at daylight today, we're feeling very good and balanced, seeing other people happy, people out having a cup of tea, sitting outside and having a beer and laughing with each other. That's about it, I mean, apart from the big ones. My daughter's eternal happiness is my eternal happiness. And I was with her in New York just a couple of weeks ago, and we were sitting there just smashing tins in the East Village, and she just looked so happy and healthy, and she was telling me about her latest relationship, which she was a little cagey about telling me for reasons I won't going to because it's her story. And my response was, well, you're an intelligent young woman. You're an intelligent woman. It doesn't matter what I think. You're twenty three. You make good decisions. And you just seem really great and so it doesn't matter what I think. I know the guy he's a little too good.
Speaker 1: Looking, and well they do say that, you know, we end up with our fathers, So what's a gal to do? My god, ah.
Speaker 2: That's Nightmereville. Although I did get contacted by someone recently who was romantic with when I was very young, and she contacted me the first time in forty years, and my first response was I'm so sorry and I just knew nothing about anything, and she said, you're actually really lovely.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I was going to say, I bet that was not her memory at all.
Speaker 2: Have you had that experience?
Speaker 1: Yes, I have. Yeah. Yeah. It reached out to me and I was like, oh, my god, hi, how are you And he said, oh, look, I've really I've been feeling so bad about how it ended. And I was I was like, what do you mean and he said, oh, I acted like a real dick, and lah lah, And I said, honestly, what a waste of time for you to spent all these all these years feeling guilty. Yeah, I feel no badness towards you, And that was not my memory at all. I don't even know what you're talking about isn't that interesting? Yeah, So never hang on to that sort of stuff. I don't think.
Speaker 2: Hang on to I think it's worth examining. And I look forward to meeting up with this human and talking about it because and talking about that and whether the obfuscation of memory is that just that obfuscation or there's something in that. I don't particularly just want to give myself a free pass yet because I haven't always been noble and probably won't in the future at times, and just want to kind of check myself, you know. Geez. People can justify a hell of a lot, can't they. And the more you read history, you see people the way people can justify their actions. It's just historically always been.
Speaker 1: But don't you think that maybe I think this is what happens in those situations. What you're feeling inside is maybe diabolical towards that person. But because we're human beings and we've learnt to communicate in a way that gets us what we want without completely annihilating the other person, I think you've manipulated the situation to your advantage without overtly brutally tearing it out of her chest. And while it's still beating, taking a white out of it. So you know how you were feeling and it wasn't great, and that you're ashamed about that. But this is how I sort of worked it out with this guy that reached out to me. The way he was feeling was not great. He didn't tell me that, but he knows how he felt and he doesn't feel that way anymore, and he's ashamed of it. And he sort of assumes that I knew that that's what was happening.
Speaker 2: I didn't, because if you don't enunciate it. Yeah, we're not mind readers, that's right, unless you are actually my mind reader.
Speaker 1: How are you with compliments? Because I've read all sorts of stuff about you before this chat, and my god, people just say the nicest thing of things about you, like.
Speaker 2: Not today, Yes they do. It sort of gets leveled up.
Speaker 1: With wordsmith, a poet, a bon vivante, op shop dressed dandy. I mean, I just love that. Anyway.
Speaker 2: I do buy secondhand clothes, but never from opportunity shops. I buy things for opportunity shops to keep the opportunity shops going. But I'm also a germiphied, So if I buy something that hasn't been thoroughly.
Speaker 1: We are a match made in heaven because I am mad for the laundry. Yeah, so I could give you that wonderful peace of mind to just go crazy wherever you want, and then you would hand it to me and the next day twenty four hour service. Tim Rogers.
Speaker 2: I'm big on doing my laundry and not God, I love it done. But I was just in Europe last month with the heart Ons. We're doing this tour and one of my bandmates is similar to me in the fastidiousness of you know, what we call mysophobia and germophobia. And when you're in a group like the hard Ons, you at least two dozen times a day confronted with situations where that you're challenged and so would have to just navigate that. But once we express to each other that we're of a similar way of thinking, we look out for each other in kind of silent ways because we just don't everyone doesn't need to know.
Speaker 1: So what does that look like to look out for somebody who shares that germophobia? Like do you just with out a little sanitizer and mortar.
Speaker 2: And the soap, you know, because the other thing to do is to not exacerbate the condition because it's a drag and would love not to be that way, and.
Speaker 1: Because you like that way your whole life.
Speaker 2: From about fourteen or fifteen, developed what now I guess would be diagnosed as in an anxiety disorder. It was misdiagnosed. I was heavily medicated for it from about sixteen, but it was just an anxiety disorder. And in that I was having attacks that were so psychedelic I thought they were drug related because I was a fledgling drug taker at fourteen fifteen, thirteen, and there really wasn't the language around it or that. Maybe I'm sure the knowledge was there, but it's just not something that you talked about, and so because I couldn't talk about it, then it just tumbled and tumbled and tumbled and grew and grew and grew until it became incapacitated, like twenty at law school in Canberra, and then I got asked to join a rock band. The circumstances where you're confronted as a German in a touring rock band, it's just everywhere, and particularly if you fall into the whole romance of it, where you're supposed to be this free wheeling lass, a fair bohemian.
Speaker 1: A Flanner, which is one of my favorite words.
Speaker 2: Walking is the greatest of all exercise.
Speaker 1: Yes, it is. It's changed my life.
Speaker 2: There's a great book called Flanouse. Yes, because Flanner has been typecast as a gentleman and Elk can Lauren Elk and I think her name was, write this great book, Flanous, And it's about being an observer as a woman on the streets. And she looks back because women are generally observed. You can get by being looking like someone like maybe she's saying as a young woman, as a middle aged woman, to be an observer gets looked at differently. That you can't just walk around and cast any and everything. When I asked my friends, can you go out to a bar or a cafe and take a book and be left alone? And one hundred percent of my friends, who aren't sort of sisters that would males, say no, it just doesn't happen. It's not worth what happens. They get approached and or get asked or you know, are you oka? Is there something wrong? Whereas someone like me can take a book to a bar and finish ulysses in an eight hour sitting and.
Speaker 1: Not well, well, I'm the one person that you're going to ask that question too that says yeah, I would absolutely be left alone and have been my whole life. You yeah, really absolutely.
Speaker 2: Bloom with theory, Scott.
Speaker 1: I'm so sorry. I'm so sorry to sorry.
Speaker 2: I'm glad.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, that's some and I love to do it too. I love it.
Speaker 2: Taking a book two or a notepad.
Speaker 1: Doing anything on your own is my favorite thing.
Speaker 2: A really really good friend of mine who's a singer, a woman it said, do you go out to barsa a couple by herself? She said, you can't because she can't stand people looking at her as if she's a She used loser. Oh no, mean myself out somewhere as you are a winning absolutely winning.
Speaker 1: I love it. I love being by myself and I need it to like maintain who I am.
Speaker 2: So can you be left alone even being you bes those out in the world?
Speaker 1: I mean, ah, pretty much? Yeah. Yeah. I've had a very good experience of being recognizable, and I enjoy the little exchanges I have with people that I don't know. I love that. It gives me a little burst because I still never expect it, even though it does happen every day. It's a real delight because I remember, I'm like, oh, yeah, that's right, I've got a radio show and I've been on Telly and do you know what I mean. I just I get so thrilled by it. But in terms of when I, you know, go to the movies on my own or grab a you know, bowl of pasta at Mario's on my own, Oh, nobody ever, I mean, you know, just nobody ever contacts approaches me or I've never been asked out. I've never been I haven't had that experience that I know a lot of women do, where they feel, you know, annoyed that they're always a sexual object. That you know, men are always like, hey, can I buy you a drink or whatever? That question has never been asked of me. I've got this lovely kind of human experience in the world.
Speaker 2: It's nice perhaps that as you're now known to the public, but may pre to that because you could do that, and you wanted to do that to be alone that you I can't think of a better to and then give off in aura of I'm absolutely content being here by myself. And when someone gives that off, I tend to kind of leave them alone. I was at my favorite baron since killed Jelina, and.
Speaker 1: Oh I loved Jelena.
Speaker 2: Yeah, there's my office for a while, best people in the world, and Lloyd Cole, the English singer songwriter, Oh my god, sitting there and I was nearing the end of my shift writing and drinking at chitchen. Looked over and took there's Lloyd Cole, one of my lifetime heroes. And so I bought him a whiskey. Send it over, darling, dear departed. Patrick gave him a whisk in and he looked over and Lloyd motioned to me, and I just went and said, I don't want I'm not going to take any of your time. I'm going to vacate now. And he said, but why don't you sit and have a drink And I said, I've got nothing to give. I love what you do, I love your songs. Bye.
Speaker 1: I have a Lloyd Cole story. Oh yeah, I saw him at the airport back, you know, when Rattlesnake's thround. I just love him. And I've always been very respectful of famous people. I wouldn't exactly the same as you, and that you go. I don't actually don't need to tell you that I love you. What I need to take any of your time, but you know I'm thrilled to see you anyway. On this occasion, I thought I just really want it when was Rattlesnakes and you know he grussed herself as you put on her forest Fire.
Speaker 2: She is the absolute apex of that record, last one.
Speaker 1: I've got goosebumps everywhere.
Speaker 2: Yeah, yeah, I'm with you.
Speaker 1: She don't calm down. She will burn herself anyway. Doesn't that make a smart and then it changes?
Speaker 2: I believe in love.
Speaker 1: Oh, I got amazing anyway. I wanted an autograph because it was back in the what is it late eighties, I guess yeah, And I did approach him and I got him to sign my anset ticket.
Speaker 2: And set that had the best sandwiches and the best now is.
Speaker 1: And I've asked two people for their autographs in my whole life. One was a Looid Coal at the airport and one was Noah Taylor at a tram stop in Model Tree Ride, and that is it. They're the only two I've ever got, and both in the late eighties, so well, no.
Speaker 2: One I didn't get to know Noah and we're not friends, we're acquaintances. But we're in this party in Lancaster Gate in England and there were loads of party drugs around and got this wonderful opportunity to be in a corner with Noah and talk about anything that anyway he wanted the direction to go.
Speaker 1: And what's he like? Magie's gorgeous?
Speaker 2: Yeah, really gorgeous.
Speaker 1: And have you seen the year my voice broke him?
Speaker 2: And Benison twenty four times? Oh Ben mendlssn still owes me two hundred and forty dollars by the way, why I can't tell ha ha for twenty five years and I.
Speaker 1: Keep remind I loved that film so much.
Speaker 2: Yeah, it's And she was a girl who.
Speaker 1: Played Freyer Loween Carmen Rowan.
Speaker 2: Carmen's an excellent songwriter.
Speaker 1: Yes, she's writer.
Speaker 2: Yeah, her daughter Holidays side Winder is killing it in England at the moment. She's an excellent songwriter as well. But Loweing, yeah, wonderful when she wrote a great book about four years ago, Lovers, Dreamers Fighters, Yeah, about her upbringing, really Boho upbringing, and yeah, how Lowing kind of just survive that and became a wonderful mother and wife and friend.
Speaker 1: And but it's muhing more important really than those three things.
Speaker 2: I actually think you're right, and she's she's got them all was along with the character that Saskia Post played in Dogs in Space, so Frey was our big sister, loween comment, and then Saski Post's character in Dogs and Spas she was our other big sister for all my family, for my brother and my sister. We just watched this song. We want these women as our older sisters, you know. Yeah, And then getting to meet I didn't get to meet Suski, but she died a couple of years ago.
Speaker 1: I was just, yes, I know it happens. You wrote something beautiful about your girlfriend at the time, and I'm not sure whether you're still together. The hurricane. She's a little like the past, a little like the future, a little like home, and a lot like a holiday. That is like the most beautiful thing I've ever read.
Speaker 2: We're not still a good unfortunately, but we're very good friends, very close friends.
Speaker 1: And yeah, people understand that how you can do that. I'm very good friends with my ex father of my three kids, and so many people say, oh, I couldn't do that, and it's not.
Speaker 2: Hard on the circumstances. Of course, I have a relationship with the mother of my daughter. We're geographically very distant, and it was it was an upsetting how it ended, very much so, but we have a relationship, I think respectful hypet Anyway, Look, the same holds true, I wrote. I mean people, unless something sort of traumatic happens, or a truth is uncovered that you didn't know and it seems to blow that trust out of the water.
Speaker 1: Or if she'd been tricking you the whole time, like a Netflix stocko.
Speaker 2: Like a Netflix s dooco. Yeah, we are in the modern world, aren't we, says says me watching the new Elvis sixty eight Comeback special on the Netflix. The other Elves.
Speaker 1: You know. I did a pilgrimage to Graceland. It was all I ever wanted to do. And I went and I cried the whole way there. Just there last month for the first time.
Speaker 2: No, no, but we were in Memphis. My partner was doing a ballet in Tulsa, Oklahoma, and she finished that for the Tulsa Ballet Company and a beautiful, beautiful piece. And then we went to Memphis for my fifty fifth birthday. And where did you eat Elsenia's Southern Isle restaurant in the I think it was South Memphis.
Speaker 1: Yeah, Alas it's a funny old place. It feels like it hasn't got enough people in it, like it's so big and grand and Memphis streets. Yeah, and then there's just there's nobody there.
Speaker 2: We're in the neighborhood in the suburbs, and I love that because you just there's cookouts and house parties and you just and then when we walked to past the Peabody.
Speaker 1: And yeah, I started Peabody, Oh you stated the people? Yeah wow. Yeah, and it had that gorgeous shop still there where Elvis would get his suits. Yeah. I could just go to Graceland every single day for the rest of my life and just look at it.
Speaker 2: This time I didn't go to Graceland really. Yeah. It's one of my big heroes is the photographer called William Eggleston, who's a Memphis native. He's still alive in his late eighties. And why I got into him was through the music of Big Star and Alex Chilton, and there was this whole kind of bohemian Memphis scene in the sixties and early seventies surrounded in this part of the town called Canton, and it seemed to be everything was under the shadow of early rhythm and blues and blues scene and of course Presley. So this sit of bohemian underworld. This Demimond felt that they could exist because no one was paying attention in any of the big cities, and everyone came to Memphis wanting to know what it's about bb King, Rufus, Thomas or Elvis. So that was my fortnight of research, was into that.
Speaker 1: Kind of your hyperfixation for that particular trip.
Speaker 2: Yeah, they happen, they do, haven't.
Speaker 1: They happened to me too.
Speaker 2: And now because we live in the country, coming in the Melbourne is like, ooh, hyper fixation, right, going to go to Mario's. When you mentioned Mario's for a bowler pasta, I got on my knees almost.
Speaker 1: But I know, and if you if you do end up there on this trip, make sure you get they do this cake only sometimes it's like a coconut coconut cake, I think, And actually I think I introduced it to a friend of all, Scott Ryan.
Speaker 2: So don't know, Scott, I'm a massive man.
Speaker 1: Oh my god, you would love him. I can't believe you're not friends with him.
Speaker 2: No, Texs had dinner with him recently though, actually talking about it. It's about a work thing, and I was so excited.
Speaker 1: Because oh he's magical.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and well, my daughter told me about Scott Dad, have you seen this? And she sent the series on.
Speaker 1: It's just the finest television show, Like it's extraordinary.
Speaker 2: I'm completely knocked out by it. Yeah, that my twenty three year old New Yorker daughter told me about it just exacerbated the whole experience.
Speaker 1: But he's a genius, and he loves the coconut cake from Marios. I will tell you I've dropped over a whole half. I bought a half and took it over his Like, what the lanning hell is going on here?
Speaker 2: I think it accepted.
Speaker 1: Haha, we didn't get your diary entry. Let's finish with the diary entry that we started to talk about. Sure, all those many moons ago, take it away.
Speaker 2: I'm not a regular diary entry.
Speaker 1: Oh I love the John Lennon glasses.
Speaker 2: That's a look, dude. Fourteen dollars brought in.
Speaker 1: Oh, it's sort of Truman Capoti, you know me.
Speaker 2: John Lennon, thank you for mentioning Truman. I was hoping for James Joyce, pathetic. He was a direcy old man. This was a little, tiny directory. It was only four years ago when one of my one hundredth attempt to curb my drinking until this century is called the one hundred pages a Day project. Because the only thing that stops me thinking about drinking is reading fiction. And so I thought, if I read one hundred pages a day, I'll not start on the tens first thing I wake up, so diar Entry, January twenty two, two thousand and twenty one. It's not the first thing that comes to mind when waking. The first is wonder slash worry. Wonder when I'm alive, and worried that I'm alive, not in the wonder and worry that must come with for example, serious illness or warfare. But I wonder at how I sidestep tragedy or injury, and worry at how I possibly did. Then the second is it third thought is a question when can I start again? Because starting again is the only thing that will tranquilize the beehive, delirious in chest and mind, that industrious, frantic desperate rabble of drones dot dot dot, and I probably then went to the fridge.
Speaker 1: Please write another book, Tim Rogers, do us all a bloody favor. Yeah, oh my god, do you know who you look like with those glasses on? Put them back on? They completely changed your look. John Waters.
Speaker 2: Oh that's a massive compliment.
Speaker 1: Yes, you look exactly. I want to get a photo of it. It's uncanny.
Speaker 2: I love that man, and I.
Speaker 1: Oh, you're going to be You're going to love this sick. I'm going to send a photo hang on, Oh okay, I'm going to send you that.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much because to be comparing anyway to John Waters, the thinking and non thinking person's crumpet. Daha. I went in Sorries Lennon Show twenty eighteen and yeah it was I knew i'd be just torn your glass onion. Yeah, just wonderful.
Speaker 1: That voice extraordinary.
Speaker 2: All the butter in my pockets melted completely.
Speaker 1: Hey, Tim Rogers, we are out of time. What an absolute joy. Will you please come back when we're not so rushed for time? I got so much more I need to talk to you about it next time. I promise to bring in some stories and I promise to bring in some Marios coconut cake, because if it's good enough for Scottie right, it's good enough for Tim Rodgers.
Speaker 2: I'm inching closet.
Speaker 1: Thank you.