Speaker 1: Wait wait, welcome wait.
Speaker 2: Babe, Well, good evening and thanks for your company. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Stauer and Joe Hildebrand coming up tonight. They say there's only one Don Bradman, but maybe they're wrong. Maybe there's a second. We'll show you the cricketer fourteen years old who has absolutely stunned the sporting world. Plus, when we get to the papers, ambulance Victoria forced to admit they held not one but two funerals in violation of pandemic rules, and the Labor Party embroiled in a scandal over Chinese campaign volunteers. We'll get to all of that shortly, but first, as you just saw on Paul Murray Live, we had the alternative Prime Minister right here in the studio answering questions from people all around the country. He talked about everything from taxes to regional development and the woke virus, and I got to ask Joe and Liz, where has this Peter Dutton bean. He came across as strong, he came across as personable, He came across as relaxed, sincere and a person who genuinely is concerned about making Australian lives better. You just have to wonder whether perhaps the media haven't given him a platform such as he got tonight where he can just relax be himself. He's not avoiding and dodging gotcha questions, He's just talking to ordinary Australians about what he plans to do to make the country better. My favorite part, Joe, of the interview tonight was where Peter Dutton was asked about domestic violence, and of course he talked about his experience as a police officer in Queensland and I've got to say it's so nice and refreshing to hear from a politician with what do they call it, liz lived experience, someone who hasn't been in politics his whole life, but has been out in the community doing the sorts of things, facing the sorts of things, grappling with the sorts of issues that normal people deal with. And the way he answered that with incredible empathy, compassion, a man who understands normal people because prior to going to politics he was one.
Speaker 3: He had a life.
Speaker 4: Oh we love that in our politicians, and sadly it is a rarity when you get career politicians like Albow.
Speaker 3: Has he ever had a job outside of politics.
Speaker 1: Joe, His job is politics, Liz, he lives.
Speaker 3: Oh that's the best ancey, you did work for a year.
Speaker 4: Inc's a short answer is no, he hasn't.
Speaker 3: That's all he's ever done.
Speaker 4: But you're quite right, it's refreshing to hear from an alternative prime minister who, prior to that, like you say, as a cop, has seen people from all walks of life, in all kinds of different situations than had to deal with them there on what we call the front lines here in Australia, on a daily basis, year in and year out. It was incredibly refreshing. You ask, where has this guy been the length of the election campaign? I'd say all politicians play to the crowd that they're addressing, and we all we all know that you guys sitting at home, you're a.
Speaker 3: Friendly crowd when it comes to the Libs. Whereas he has been under a lot of attack this election.
Speaker 4: I mean, you've got this alban Ezy government who's determined not to be the first one term government since the nineteen thirties. I don't believe that was ever going to happen, and I do believe that we will see a labor win on Saturday. But these guys have been the underdogs all along, and I think you've got to play your cards accordingly.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: Look, I thought it was very lovely and warm and intimate, and it's good to see politicians be human, and I don't think we see enough. And I think a lot of us in the media we say, oh, you're two dimensional, you're just doing the talking points, and then the minute a politician actually starts to speak and talk as a human being, we jump on anything that they say that deviates from the norm and then we beat them about the head for it. So I think that is an unfortunate thing. And it's good to see Peter Dutton sort of have that kind of just conversational, kind of fireside chat kind of tone. I think he's I met Peter Dutton a number of times informal settings, social settings.
Speaker 1: I've always thought it was a really nice, decent man.
Speaker 5: I've never liked the demonised Dutton campaign, but it has been incredibly effective and I think that and I think there's also been circumstances sort of beyond his control. But he, you know, he for a while it looked like being Trump like was a real election winner, and it was until it wasn't, and that's hurt him and the policy the policy stuff I think has also really hurt him, the fact that things like the working from home debate got away from him.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I mean it could have.
Speaker 5: It could have either perhaps been kept within its rails better if it had have been out there percolating in the community for longer so they understood what it was, or it should have been killed off a long long time ago, you know, at first sight, instead of instead of halfway through the campaign.
Speaker 1: So I don't know.
Speaker 5: I mean, it's hard to know what, if anything turn. I mean half the nation, almost a third at least, have already voted, and so it's very hard to know what could win it from here.
Speaker 1: But you know, he's a good guy. Good guys are there in politics.
Speaker 2: It was a great interview and well done to not just Paul Murray for hosting that, but to well over twenty Sky News viewers who sent in really good questions. Of course, the last time the Coalition had great momentum was really back in October twenty twenty three, when they defeated the Voice referendum. Australians overwhelmingly rejected that you remember about sixty percent voting no. And at that point, all the momentum, all the leadership was with Peter Dutton, ironically enough, addressing a cultural issue. So now we're in the last week of the election campaign and a cultural issue, specifically Welcome the Country is back center stage, courtesy of those people who booed the Welcome the Country at Melbourne's an Zac Day service last week. Now, those who booed were apparently neo Nazis, but there are many people who didn't boo, but yet share the same sentiments that Welcome to Country is overdone and we have far too much of it, not least among those people former Prime Minister Tony Abbott.
Speaker 6: And it's become, if you're, like an exercise in virtue signaling. It's become a badge of political correctness. It's become a political statement, a bit like wearing masks became a political statement during the pandemic. If you weren't an enthusiast for masks, you weren't taking the pandemic seriously enough.
Speaker 2: Now, if you're wondering, I'm not sure, maybe it's not overdone, Maybe it's okay. I mean if you were watching Master Chef last night, can you believe it? They had an acknowledgment of country at the beginning of a reality TV cooking show.
Speaker 7: I'd like to acknowledge the traditional owners of the land upon which this competition takes place and pay our respects to the elder's past and present. This is al that has always been rich in food and culture.
Speaker 2: At this rate, next year they'll be a welcome to country before Married at First Sight begins. Liz Tony Abbott is absolutely right. This thing is way overdone. Could this help Peter Dutton that it's suddenly front and center headline news in the last week of the campaign? This is when he was strongest, when he was rejecting division and separating Australians by race.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 4: But the Libs seem to have left this alone since the referendum was one in their favor. They haven't been beating that drum and I think that's probably a good thing.
Speaker 3: They more just say as we do.
Speaker 4: The people of Australia have spoken, and as you know, I have said many times on this show. If you're a regular watcher, when you hear a welcome to country.
Speaker 3: Boom, I've said I do it all the time.
Speaker 4: I do it in packed theaters, I do it on packed planes, because that is one way for the average person like myself to push back on what Tony Abbott is rightly called this work virtue signaling.
Speaker 3: The elites want to shove it down our throats.
Speaker 4: It doesn't matter what you're sad at these days. It could be an internal office meeting and you will be greeted with a welcome to country. You've got to let your disapproval be known. And it wasn't just Nazis who booed on that day, And I do believe that this coming back into light honor Anzac Day is very poignant because of all the days and of all the ceremonies, it is the most disgustingly inappropriate thing to be doing at these ceremonies. So I'm with the booers on this one, not the Nazis obviously, but everybody else. And they were large in number who booed that day, because it is a slap in the face of our diggers who did not fight for a country that they were a guest of so that we could all be guests in the succeeding decades. For crying out loud. But anyway, Abbit's totally right. It is empty virtue signaling. As we've said, ad nauseum.
Speaker 3: I mean, what are you going to do? Give the land back? No? No, but we'll give you guys a shout out. That's really all that is, Joe.
Speaker 4: And the more people who simply acknowledge that, whether it's booing or whatever you choose to do, the better, because it's only until Aussie stand up and say we said no, cut this junk.
Speaker 3: Out, nothing's going to happen. It'll continue.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 5: I think booing at an ANZAC Day dawn service is absolutely disgraceful and far.
Speaker 3: More described they were booming that was.
Speaker 1: It doesn't matter, you do, not do that.
Speaker 5: It's incredibly disresgret trusting behavior.
Speaker 1: And if the idea, the idea that.
Speaker 3: You would disgrace and the idea that discussing.
Speaker 5: The idea and it was an organized protest, the crowd didn't spontaneously start booing, and the idea that you care so much about the sanctity of the dawn service that you would actually disrupt it and interrupt it with booze. I mean we are talking about we are talking about to do a welcome we're talking about. That is that is that is what the organizers decided. That is what the organizers who is the RSL and the representatives of the veteran community.
Speaker 1: That was a decision that they made and it was up to them.
Speaker 5: If people don't like it, they can complain, they can write a letter, they can talk to the media, they can have discussions like we do here, they can go on social media. But taboo, a commemoration of the war dead is a disgusting not what they were doing. That That is what the Dawn Service is. The Dawn Service is a commemoration. It is a sacred right that commemorates those who gave their lives.
Speaker 1: For a service of Australia.
Speaker 5: Well, until we can exhume their bodies and do a straw poll of them, I think we should actually pay respect to the services that are there to commemorate and if people if people have I don't know if you can speak on behalf of the thousands of people who have died for Australia. But if people want to voice their opinions about that, if they want to say whatever they want to say, I have no problem with that. I don't disagree with a lot of what Tony Abott and others have said about the welcome to country and the acknowledgment of country, which are two different things that people seem to get confused and use interchangeably. But whatever, I think they both can be overused. But to do what was done at that dawn service is a disgraceful, UnAustralian, despicable act.
Speaker 2: Agree to disagree that there's two things here, isn't there There's whether or not it should be done at a ANZAC day service. That is the welcome to country, and I think most people would say it wasn't appropriate, certainly from all the social media and comments I've read.
Speaker 3: But then how do.
Speaker 2: You protest it and what's the most appropriate way. Richard Marles said it was important to recognize the important contribution Indigenous people had made to the Australian military and that's why it was appropriate. But I did some research and found you know, there are a thousand Indigenous Australians who fought in World War One. There were two hundred Australian Chinese people who fought in World War One, but they weren't acknowledged. In the Second World War, you had about three thousand Indigenous people fighting for Australia. But you had two and a half thousand Greek Australians fighting for Australia. They weren't acknowledged. So that's the problem, not Indigenous that's providing our war dead by race. Are you going to acknowledge everybody or only one grouping one group? Are you really surprised people are upset? The appropriate way to protest that, that's a different argument.
Speaker 4: Liz Indeed, well Till MP Sophie Scomps has sunk to a new low shilling for votes. She had the audacity to use the example of manly rugby player Keith Titmus's very unfortunate, very shock and sudden death earlier this year. She's decided to link that to climate change in an effort to shill for votes, which because of course that's all the Tills really stand for. Their biggest backer is climate two hundred, so of course that is one issue that they're very strong on.
Speaker 3: Here she was speaking to some would be voters.
Speaker 4: So the death of that young man and I'm not saying the death of that young man, the rugby league player when it.
Speaker 3: Was thirty three degree.
Speaker 6: Very humid day died from heat stress after training session.
Speaker 4: That type of legal humidity is something that the medical fraternity is getting more and more concerned about.
Speaker 3: You can survive, apparently, the human body can survive if it's dry.
Speaker 4: Heat up to fifty four degrees celsius is pretty hot, but.
Speaker 7: With high humidity that level comes down to kind of thirty three, thirty even thirty one degrees, So it's something to consider.
Speaker 3: At least get your facts raight, lady.
Speaker 4: It was just twenty five degrees in November twenty twenty when Keith Titmas, twenty years of age see Eagles training session, lost his life.
Speaker 3: But how low can you go?
Speaker 4: And naturally Keith's mother has spoken about this. She said, I'm disappointed that doctor Scomps is using my son's name to try and gain political political points when all she needed to do was read Derek Lee's findings. She's referring to the findings regarding her son's passing, which mention nothing about climate change, Like I say, amazing, lo can you sink to be like? This is why you should vote for me. We are the party of climate change alarmism. And this is how bad it's getting now. Twenty year olds are dropping dead on sporting.
Speaker 1: But she's a doctor. She's a doctor, don't you know.
Speaker 2: Since when did climate catastrophists care about facts? I mean, we had the cyclone in Queensland recently and Adam Bant was warning, this is terrible. This is another reason why we need to quit fossil fuels. All the evidence says that cyclones are becoming less frequent, not more frequent, and we could cite example after example after example of climate catastrophists exaggerating the situation or just outright lying. Of course, when don't lie.
Speaker 1: And doctors don't lie. And she's a doctor, don't you know they're all doctors. All the deals are doctors for this.
Speaker 2: When a spokesperson for the Teal Doctor addressed what she had said, the spokesperson didn't back down at all. The spokesperson said, well, you know, we're desperately sad for the tipmus family, but but Sophie takes very seriously the threat of lethal humidity. So just repeated the whole line all over again. This is typical, though, of climate catastrophists who aren't afraid to use people's pain to push their own agenda. As I said, in Queensland, when cyclone Alfred occurred. I remember Adam Bant firing off a tweets saying my thoughts with the people of Queensland at this time, and then he went on for another couple of tweets to talk about this is why we need to fight climate change, get rid of fossil fuels, vote out the Dutton government. His thoughts were with the people of Queensland for a millisecond, and then the rest of his thoughts were about how he could leverage this for political advantage.
Speaker 5: Exactly right, And this is the real issue here. It's not whether you know people are right or wrong or where the facts are. We can have all those arguments, we can have those debates, brash him out here every night. The question is how absolutely cooked do you have to be to think that you can just pull out the example of another mother's dead son to try to score a political touchdown. And again not to hark on it, but you know, it's the same as my argument about violating the dawn service. Whatever your political position and let a thousand flowers bloom, surely some things are off limits. And I would dare say that rather than lethal humidity, that is the problem here. I think doctor Scott's is suffering from some lethal stupidity, because anyone who could not just see that that raw death of that beautiful young man is a giant red flag that you shouldn't even touch, even if you could get your facts straight, let alone if you can't that, I mean, that is the definition of a fanatic. That is the definition of an extremist. It is someone for whom the cause is so absolute and so great that all these other considerations, matters of life and death don't actually occur to you. So and again, that is what I think is wrong with politics these days.
Speaker 1: Well, but she's a doctor.
Speaker 3: She is a doctor.
Speaker 2: Let's not forget that, as is doctor Monique Ryan, who her staff have been told to make sure people know that. Well, we've got good news and bad news from Canada. The good news is the Liberals have won the Canadian election. The bad news is they're the wrong kind of Liberals in Canada. Of course, the Liberal Party is the Progressive Party and they have won the election which they were not expected to win in January. Indeed, in January it was the Conservative Party who were on track for a landslide win. But then a couple of things happened Donald Trump put twenty five percent tariffs on Canada and started joking about them becoming the fifty first state of the United States. Then Justin Trudeau resigned. Mark Carney took over and made what would have been a referendum on Justin Trudeau into a scare campaign about Donald Trump having won the election. He's show he's not prepared to let up on that scare campaign. He is his victory speech.
Speaker 8: As I've been warning for months, America wants our land, our resources, our water, our country never But these are not These are not idle threats. President Trump is trying to break us so that America can own us. That will never that will never ever happen.
Speaker 2: Now, some interesting things in Canada, and I wonder if we can extrapolate to what might happen here in Australia next Saturday. The Conservative leader certainly was campaigning on things like cost of living and other issues like that which you would have expected to resonate, but then he was cast as a mini Trump and certainly seems to have suffered from that stereotyping. Seven point three million Canadians voted early. We're seeing a similar trend here in Australia. As well of as Peter Dutton being cast as a person aping Donald Trump by the Labor Party. F the Albanese in his speech the other day spoke repeatedly about the Labor Party do things the Australian way.
Speaker 1: It's our way.
Speaker 2: We're going to use our people and our strategies, which clearly was an inference that Peter Dutton and the coalition are copying Donald Trump, who of course is the devil, therefore don't vote for him. Clearly that association with Donald Trump has absolutely destroyed the Conservative campaign in Canada.
Speaker 3: Let's talk about that.
Speaker 2: But are there any conclusions we can draw about what might happen here?
Speaker 4: Well, I don't know if we can extrapolate it this far. Canada, obviously being their closest neighbor and a massive ally, simply did not take well to Trump teasing about next in Canada, and certainly in a country like Canada where seventy five percent of their exports.
Speaker 3: Go to the US.
Speaker 4: If a president of the United States of America is talking about tariffs the way Trump has been doing, you've got a mass amount of Canadians who are immediately offside. Like us, They've been suffering through a cost of living crisis for a long time now, so anything like that that's going to make their lives that much harder on that greater scale. I hate to say it, but Trump really handed it to the Liberals in Canada this time round. They've just won their fourth straight term in power. Once True Door resigned, we were all rejoicing in the streets, being like, finally this is the Conservatives time to rise in Canada, and we all loved Pierre Polivier, which who also copped a lot of Oh, is very trumpy, he all his trump isms. People were loving him for that until they weren't. The poor guys actually lost his own seat, as was confirmed just to couple of hours ago. So this has turned into, almost overnight a landslide in the opposite direction of what was expected. Finally seeing the end of Justin Trudeau, who we know was a World Economic Forum Darling. Hate to tell you, you've got exactly the same thing in Mark Carney a couple of months ago. Keep in mind, this guy's not an MP, he's never held political office. He is a banker and will also be one hundred and ten thousand percent economic Forum Darling. Canada has voted for more of the same under this guy. But they were able to artfully weaponize these trumpisms coming out of the US in their favor and rally this nationalist vibe in Canada.
Speaker 3: To keep their seat of power. It's just incredible.
Speaker 2: Can we say, Joe that companies making leftists great again?
Speaker 5: Absolutely? Is absolutely is. And look, listen, you come on, Karne. You said you like people who had careers outside of politics, Well they come in. He's the old outsider like but this is exactly the thing again. You talk about harnessing nationalism, Well that's exactly what Trump has done. And the nationalism that he's harnessed in America has come at the expense of every single other country on the planet. Literally, he's not just talking about tariffs, he's implementing them. And this is the price that every other populist conservative movement around the around the world must pay. And you know, Andrew Bolt earlier tonight was absolutely correct when he said Trump is an enemy of conservatism the world over. Trump is an absolute millstone around the neck of conservatives in Canada. And everything is said is absolutely correct, and it's exactly what is happening here. Trump has been a millstone around Peter Dutton's neck. He has become toxic, not because he's done things that he said he wouldn't do, but because he's done actually what he said he would do. And I think a lot of people didn't expect him to. And that's that's you know, that's all she writes, swings and round about.
Speaker 2: Clearly Labor have got poling saying that it will resonate with Australian voters, labeling yeah, certainly Trump because they're doing it.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, yeah, yeah, but it's not.
Speaker 5: But again they're not the ones who are coming up with that. Voters, particularly female voters in focus groups. Absolutely And I don't want to be cruel because I do not think that Peter Dutton is a bad man. But they hate him. They hate him, and they think that he is, you know, a mini Trump, or he is Trump like. And I was just talking to a friend in the party. Apparently something like two thirds of women over the age of thirty just find Dutton and Trump an absolute no go zone, an absolute turn off. They're not hugely pro Albanezi, but that is just absolute no guy. They won't all vote later, a lot of them will vote independent. Now you think about the sheer number of people. When you think we make up half the population, every single one over the age of thirty five of them two thirds. That's an instant right that gives you an indication of sky. And it's not all bad news because young men are more likely to come to one nation or to Peter Dutton, so that offsets it, but not in the same way. And that Canadian result tells you everything you need to know.
Speaker 3: Indeed, we're to Wales now.
Speaker 4: We're an eighteen eighty church went up in flames last week. A fourteen year old and a fifteen year old have been arrested charges of arson. Obviously everyone's wondering why this ancient church has gone up in flames in a fire in Port Talbot. So it's not even like a big landmark.
Speaker 3: This is a historical church.
Speaker 4: That has been there, like I say, since eighteen eighty. This is something we don't talk about enough because church churches across the Western world are copying all kinds of attacks. In France alone since twenty and nineteen, eight hundred and fifty churches have suffered these attacks, not always arson, but they have been under attack.
Speaker 3: For the last five years.
Speaker 4: Like you wouldn't believe, and it never seems to make the news. We all know if this was a mosque, if this was a synagogue, it would be all over the news, but because they're Christian churches, nobody really seems to mind.
Speaker 3: It's the same with persecution of.
Speaker 4: Christians all around the world. We know that Christians are being killed in Syria, we know in Ethiopia over the last fifteen years, over fifty thousand Nigeria, sorry, over fifty thousand Christians have been killed. In February this year, seventy Christians were found beheaded in their church in the Congo. I could go on for an hour without drawing breath, but these things never make the news. And I want to know why, as a Christian living in a country here in Australia where the last census says that forty four percent of our population still claims the Christian faith, whether that's Christian, whether that's Catholic, forty four percent of us still claim the Christian faith, why does media seem to think that Christians being attacked throughout the Western world, particularly in Europe, particularly in the UK, and certainly I mean, don't even start talking about China, et cetera. And so on Christians being locked up, Christians being killed, Christians being tortured, those who follow the right Christian websites, because we've had to start our own type of media to stay on top of these things, because the world media does not give a rip if it's the Christian faith, it's not even a blip on the radar.
Speaker 3: Why do you think that is mac You.
Speaker 2: Raise a really good point, and you know there's persecution of Christians in places like Africa, is certainly in the Middle East, but this is a relatively new phenomena where we've got churches under attack in the Western world, and everyone prepared pretends not to notice it at all. The French intelligence services said that in twenty twenty four the number of churches and cathedrals that were burned increased by thirty percent. That's not just a little blip. That's a lot of electoral fault. That's not things that could have been construed as accidental. These were confirmed arson attacks. And I think there's a couple of reasons why this is being ignored. Because if you are going to confront this very inconvenient truth, you're going to have to admit that the French, in particular are failing to protect their own heritage and their own traditions. Whether you're a Christian or not, you have to admit French is a Christian nation or typically has been, so much of their tradition and heritage from the Christian faith they're not protecting. A Second, you've got to confront the questioners to who is responsible for this, and that's probably a question that many of us would not like to really contemplate. And third, and maybe this is the biggest factor, to admit you've got churches under attack. You've got to discard the very popular progressive narrative that Christianity is an oppressor religion and admit that actually Christians are being persecuted worldwide, including in the West. You know, of all the anti religious crimes that have been committed in France right now, this is according to French intelligence services, sixty two percent of them are against Jews, thirty one percent of them against Christians, seven percent against Muslims. And yet how often do you hear about Islamophobia, which of course we would deplore. But Islamophobia is the least common form of persecution regarding religious people in France. Christian Aphobia is far more prevalent, hardly ever spoken of it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's disgraceful obviously.
Speaker 5: And to see any of these beautiful old buildings go up as just works of incredibly beauty and art in themselves, regardless of their importance to people of faith, is just absolutely disgraceful. When we do, we have to have a really really frank talk about this, and we also have to get rid of that ridiculous kind of work narrative that Christianity is somehow inherently evil, but all the other religions are somehow inherently.
Speaker 1: Good, and that they're No.
Speaker 5: I don't remember, don't remember leading a holy war against anyone?
Speaker 1: Have you? Have you? No, I don't think I have anyway.
Speaker 3: Well, another day.
Speaker 5: Sorry, I was going to say, just in the world's most comfortable segue, let's go from Christianity to sex toy smugglers, because an Iranian asylum seeker who argued that he could not be deported because he was quote a sex toy smuggler, has won his legal battle to remain in Britain. The unnamed man applied for refugee status in the UK, saying that the authorities in his home country looked on his illicit business activities.
Speaker 1: Adversely, are you telling me? Are you telling me now? Again?
Speaker 5: This is where my religious plurality really hits reality, because this is quite a shock to me, as someone who embraces all world religions. I never, for the life of me, would have thought that Iran, the great sheait inheritor of the Persian tradition under the Ayatollah KHMANI, would be in any way in tolerance. I mean, this is a nation that almost lets some women drive cars with their heads uncovered.
Speaker 1: Not yet, but we're getting there.
Speaker 5: And yet you are trying to suggest, by placing this story under my nose, that they look unkindly on sex toy smugglers. Well, that's not that progressive Iran, I know.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure who we should make fun of, the Iranians or the British for allowing asylum seekers like this to remain in the country. His argument was, I can't go back to Iran because I was doing illegal things. That doesn't seem like much of an argument to be allowed to remain in Britain. And so that was of course rejected by the first court. He appealed, and then the second court found that he couldn't be deported not because he was selling sex toys in Iran, but because since arriving in Britain, he had posted on Facebook comments that were against the Iranian regime and if he was to return, he would be persecuted for those comments. So it seems to be that his first argument was I can't go back to Iran because I was doing illegal things. His secument argument was I'm doing illegal things now, so I can't go back to Iran. Basically, asylum seekers in the UK seemed to just come up with one absurd idea after another until eventually they find a judge who will say, jackpot, you can stay.
Speaker 3: And this is not the.
Speaker 2: First instance of ridiculous decisions from the British judiciary regarding asylum seekers. You remember, Liz, just a few weeks ago we spoke about an Albanian man who was to be deported. He was found guilty of involvement in a fraud worth about three hundred thousand pounds, but he wasn't deported because the court ruled that will be unfair to his ten year old son, who didn't like chicken nuggets in Albania much preferred them in the UK, and so Dad was allowed to stay.
Speaker 4: Can you imagine being the British taxpayer being like, yes, this is what my money is paying for. Not only are they tying our courts up, but they get to stay here on our taxpayer pound with such ridiculous and anyone, anyone from anywhere in the world can be watching this case and be like, great, So if I just make it to the UK and then tweet things or right things on my social media criticizing whatever country I just came from, it's as.
Speaker 3: Easy as that.
Speaker 1: No, I think that's even better.
Speaker 5: That's all I have to do is smuggle some sex toys and I'm home and hosed.
Speaker 3: What we are missing got him to say.
Speaker 1: What we are.
Speaker 5: What we are missing, though, is how he smuggled his sex toys, because that sounds uncomfortable to me.
Speaker 3: That is a detail we don't know.
Speaker 2: And you know, sometimes ignorance really is liss. Let's go to Europe or stay in Europe rather where Spain has just to experience the biggest blackout in European history. It didn't just affect tens of millions of people in Spain, but also people in Portugal and France. When the Powell went off, flights were grounded trains.
Speaker 3: Just stopped mid track.
Speaker 2: Traffic was gridlocked because traffic lights stopped working, mobile phone networks didn't work. There were two hundred and eighty six rescues of people in elevators, just absolute chaos and pandemonium. Now, at first people thought maybe this is a cyber attack. There's a great Netflix series on at the moment called Zero Day, starring Robert de Niro, that depicts a cyber attack that shuts down New York City's electricity grid. But experts are saying, no, no, it wasn't a cyber attack. It was actually a result of Spain's commitment to net zero. On the day of the blackout, sixty four percent of their power was coming from renewables, fifty three percent solar, eleven percent wind, and according to experts, the problem with renewable power is it's unstable, and that instability is likely to collapse the grid. They're saying that's probably the reason the lights went out. So I would just like to say, on behalf of everyone in Australia, thank you to the good people of Spain who have demonstrated in real time the.
Speaker 3: Folly of net zero.
Speaker 2: I hope our government learns from this, and Lizi's shaking your head. You don't think any lessons will be learned.
Speaker 3: No, I don't think they will.
Speaker 4: They'll just be like, we'll do it better, like every good socialist.
Speaker 3: Socialism just hasn't been tried properly.
Speaker 4: They're like, no, no, no, but we'll our green energy, our renewables are better. What makes this story funny, I'm sorry all the Spaniards, is that six days ago Spanish media was celebrating a ginormous milestone, and that was for the first time during a working day, Spain was running on one hundred percent renewable energy.
Speaker 3: Just the question of the day.
Speaker 4: It was one hundred percent and they were so proud of it.
Speaker 3: That was less than a week ago.
Speaker 4: Until twelve thirty five pm Local time yesterday.
Speaker 3: Nothing, nothing's working.
Speaker 4: I hope you're all carrying some cash, guys, because everything came.
Speaker 3: To a standstill just like that.
Speaker 5: Everyone was in Well, if there's some words of hope that I could give the good citizens of Spain and Portugal. We saw the footage of the train passengers having to get out and walk. A few years ago, same thing happened in Sydney and all the passengers on a train had to get out and walk, which is very but the good news is they got to their destination faster.
Speaker 2: And of course the good news is the British government are going to make sure that climate change is fixed. They're going to simply block out the sun. As we talked about last week, we're going to go to a break. When we come back, we'll look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers, including Victorian ambulance staff forced to admit they broke COVID pandemic rules not once, but twice.
Speaker 3: That's coming up in just a moment.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the program. Let's take a look at what's making headlines tomorrow. We'll start with the front page of the Herald's Sun, which tomorrow is a pretty good front page. They've got not one, but three incredible stories. The main splash, of course, mushroom bombshell Aaron Patterson's three charges of attempting to kill her husband dropped or read you the introduction to that story. It says three charges alleging deadly mushroom cook Aaron Patterson tried to murder her estranged husband Simon have been dropped in a major development on the first day of her highly anticipated trial. Mss Patterson fifty is still facing triple murder charges and one attempted murder charge following a twenty twenty three lunch at her leon Gatha home where she served beef wellington to guests, three of whom subsequently died from death cap poisoning. That's the lead story in Tomorrow's Herald Son a couple of other really interesting stories that are sure to generate.
Speaker 3: A lot of talk. Tomorrow.
Speaker 2: Second illegal Funeral reads the headline, Ambulance Victoria has been forced to confess to a second legal funeral in which senior executives blatantly breached COVID rules at the height of the pandemic. Days after The Herald's Sun revealed an initial sanctioned send off, it can now be revealed a second gathering took place within weeks of that September twenty twenty one event. So, as the article says, the Herald's Son just recently had a report that forty Victoria Rare Ambulance staffers had gathered to farewell one of their colleagues. This at a time when everyone in Victoria was restricted to just ten people at a funeral. As I said, they had forty at theirs and it was held at an ambulance branch so as to not be conspicuous. The hearse drove past the ambulance branch. It's alleged as forty members gathered there to form a kind of guard of honor. Now, by the way, that particular event was booked in their calendars, Liz as a professional development event so that it wouldn't be picked up as a breach of COVID rules. And now with this inquiry underway in Victoria into the ambulance service, there's evidence of not one, but a second illegal funeral that was held. This would just make Victorians I rate. They suffered so badly, and yet to find that certain sections of the community were fragrantly breaching these rules.
Speaker 4: I mean government personnels, especially in the UK were busted for doing this too.
Speaker 3: Remember when they were having parties.
Speaker 1: It was the Prime Minister.
Speaker 3: Just incredible some of the stories.
Speaker 4: I mean that one came out at the time, but I dare say quite a bit of this went on. That's just be speculating, But I always say, whenever these things come to light, you know, it's only the tip of the iceberg that's making the headlines, and it would be it would be absolutely.
Speaker 3: Infuriating to be victorians.
Speaker 4: Knowing that this went on at a time when everybody else was locked up chain and key. And also given it was the paramedics, given it was ambulance Victoria, who would have been on the front lines, who would have been seeing all sorts of things during that time, people suffering with COVID, one would assume.
Speaker 3: And yet they took it this lightly.
Speaker 4: It makes you wonder, did they not believe in the rules that everybody else was being forced to abide by in a bid to quell this thing?
Speaker 5: Well, this is the thing, Like, clearly they knew that this thing could be safely managed, that if you were you know, if you're sensible enough and careful enough, and the various risk associated with it, you could have a gathering like this and not all die, because presumably, if they thought it would endanger everybody's life, there would be more than one casket at the next celebration or the next funeral that they held. So I obviously knew that. But more to the point, it just goes to a basic humanity that people should be allowed to mourn their loved ones. They should have that opportunity. The idea that you would ban people from doing that or restrict it to such a point that becomes ridiculous, like limiting it to something like ten. I know that during COVID, my wife's grandmother died and thanked God. The nursing home people has just sort of waved all the rules and everything. But there was every chance that she could have died without having all her children around her, for example. Now that is just an absolutely insane and inhuman response to any any condition, let alone a panemic. So clearly they knew that it was okay, and I don't condemn them for doing this. The fact that the rest of the world and the rest of that state was forbidden from doing it, that is actually the real crime here, not that they did, but that everybody else couldn't.
Speaker 3: I don't disagree.
Speaker 1: Royal Commission.
Speaker 2: Bring it on the other story on the front page of the Herald Son you need seventy million dollars on travel. The University of Melbourne had the highest expenditure in the nation on travel, with its staff racking up a bill of nearly seventy million dollars in twenty twenty three. Seventy million dollars on travel in just one year. New research reveals of Victorian universities are splurging on travel and consultants while underpaying their staff and posting operational deficits. Interestingly enough, The Canberra Times has got a story on their front page tomorrow about the ANU, which in twenty twenty two to twenty three spent one hundred and ninety million dollars on consultants, advertising and travel. They are now cutting their budget and of course where do you think they're cutting, Liz staffing?
Speaker 3: Oh, of course that's where it's gotta go. Joe, you've got the advertiser.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, to be fair to the A and you.
Speaker 5: They are in Canberra, so you would pay any amount of money to get out any opportunity.
Speaker 3: Like where are you going?
Speaker 5: Oh they go to different different conferences, symposium or symposia if anyone wants to correct my la. But academics do it all the time. Yeah, absolutely. And Melbourne University it's my old alma mater as well. It's where I've got my Bachelor of Arts. Don't think I actually collected this again, still I may still owe them some library fines. Anyway, let's get to the Adelaide Advertiser now, which is basically Melbourne minus twenty years and great story by Steven Drill on the front page. Kremlin in ninety minute range of the Northern Territory, Russian TU ninety five bombers would be able to hit Darwin within ninety minutes if they are allowed to use an Indonesian military base at Biak.
Speaker 1: A defense expert.
Speaker 5: Warns cruise missiles fired from the base thirteen one hundred kilometers north of Australia would also allow Russia to attack US military basis on Guam. Russia's request for access to Indonesia's Bick military base has caused a political firestorm in a lead up to Saturday's federal election, and former Defense Secretary Mirke Gazulo has sounded the alarm about what he says is Russia's reason for the plan, which you'll have to buy the Advertiser to find out.
Speaker 2: Which just goes to show why this is an issue that should not have been just dismissed slash light about by the Albanesi government.
Speaker 5: Yology James, It's not a lie, it's tactical obfuscation.
Speaker 2: It's a big story and it's of massive national importance.
Speaker 1: But I don't know.
Speaker 2: Maybe they'll put some virgin pilots flying out of Darwin and we'll all be saved.
Speaker 3: We need you guys.
Speaker 4: To the front page of The Australia now with the splash reads Labor Minister Russias to acts Chinese recruits. Labor Cabinet Minister Clara O'Neill has been embroiled in.
Speaker 3: An election.
Speaker 4: Roversi over Chinese campaign volunteers, with the confirmation ten individuals linked to an organization associated with Beijing's foreign influence operation were being recruited to staff her.
Speaker 3: Polling booth on election day.
Speaker 4: The Australian can reveal Chinese Australian Labor Party member Chap Chow, who describes himself as a.
Speaker 3: Friend of the minister.
Speaker 4: He's been helping out organized with the Hubei Association in the past week to recruit volunteers for her electorate of Hotham. Obviously, this is on the back of those two Chinese volunteers for the Teals in the sense who were literally saying, we have been instructed to vote Teal.
Speaker 5: We have been instructed by our honorable Communist masters to vote for the Teal Party of Australia.
Speaker 3: So this from bad to worse.
Speaker 4: And now, of course we're all wondering how many more of these are in the ranks rather of Labor and the DEA.
Speaker 5: Oh, come on, look, you expect Labor to have ridiculously close ties with the Chinese.
Speaker 1: The teals.
Speaker 5: They're doing it all wrong. This doesn't surprise me, the size of posinesses covering it up well enough, Yeah, exactly. They used to be good at that. They really let their guard down.
Speaker 2: They certainly have let their guard down. We're going to go to a break when we come back. They so there's only one Don Bradman, But a fourteen year old is demonstrating that maybe that's wrong. Maybe there is a second. We'll show you his exploits.
Speaker 1: In just a moment.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Well, of course, Donald Bradman is the greatest Test cricketer who's ever lived, famously averaging ninety nine runs every time he went out to bat. No wonder they say there's only one Don Bradman, But maybe that's all about to change thanks to a fourteen year old kid playing in the Indian IPLT twenty League who overnight smashed one hundred runs off just thirty five balls, the second fastest century in T twenty history. And as I said, the kid is only fourteen years old facing test bowlers, have a look at this.
Speaker 1: Deep we'll get.
Speaker 3: Told him the hundred of just.
Speaker 9: Twenty five balls.
Speaker 3: That's the fourteen year old boy.
Speaker 2: The kids in year nine at school he had seven four's, eleven six's and only the West Indian great Christopher Gale has hit a century in quicker time than this kid. Indian great Sachon ten Duka described it as a fabulous innings and cricket lovers in India are referring to him as and this is his new nickname, boss Baby. Here's the ovation he got when he was eventually out for one hundred and one.
Speaker 9: Young man will lead the park to a standing ovision. It's been such an innings. Every one of his Appulding's levels stand up.
Speaker 2: This fourteen year old kid was asked how do you do it? And he responded simply, I don't have any fear. I just don't think about it that much.
Speaker 1: I have no big different securities.
Speaker 5: You know what they you know they're call him boss baby now that is because and the most startling thing I found about this story was that he was the second to do it. So what someone who's actually scored one faster? And you mentioned Chris kh His nickname is Universe Boss. How's that for any name?
Speaker 1: Universe Boss, Like, not just World Boss.
Speaker 5: Not just Solar System Boss, not just Galaxy bias, Universe Boss. Amazing stuff man.
Speaker 2: At age thirteen, he was signed by the Rajasthan Royals for one hundred and thirty thousand dollars. I dare say his next contract in the IPL will be worth a lot more and he's going to be batting against Australia for the next twenty five years.
Speaker 1: Yeah, but you know he's a fourteen year old kid. What's it going to do?
Speaker 5: What's he going to spend all the money on Links Africa anyway? Another sporting because we're known of the debate for our sporting coverage. Another sporting debate. The Wrexham FC football club has just.
Speaker 1: Done something.
Speaker 5: They're on their way to Sydney and they're owned by Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 1: I think that's the key.
Speaker 3: They're owned by Ryan Reynolds.
Speaker 2: They'll be coming to Sydney and I think a lot more people will be excited about Ryan Reynolds being in Sydney than they will be about the football team. That's all we've got time for tonight, but don't go anywhere. Coming up in just a moment is Rita Pennahee.
Speaker 1: Good Night,