Speaker 1: Why on Sky News This is Sharry.
Speaker 2: Good Evening, Welcome to the show.
Speaker 3: Or on the program tonight, Labor accused of bullying the IRBA in a fiery question time. New polling shows that voters aren't buying Albanesi's excuses over the cost of living. Also tonight, will the Prime Minister bother to read the three thousand page Royal Commission report into veteran suicide? Well, he needs do because this is a blight on our nation. And pro Palestinian protesters target a Jewish school in Perth, a disgraceful act that shows that these activists have lost all morals and it comes as green counselors adopt her must symbols and the A and U allows a student qu endorsed the October seven terror attacks back to class plus. World renowned spiritual guru Deepak Chopra will join me live on the show tonight to share his view on the social unrest we're seeing, the rise in mental illness and how to find happiness. That exclusive interview coming up a bit later this hour. But first tonight, voters aren't buying Labour's attempt to blame the RBA for the cost of living.
Speaker 2: Crisis.
Speaker 3: Former Treasurer Wayne Swan seems to be suffering from relevant deprivation syndrome. He can't handle seeing his former protege now running the economy, and he obviously thinks Charmers isn't going tough enough on the RBA, because Wayne Swan came out swinging against the independent Central Bank on Friday.
Speaker 1: Well, the government is.
Speaker 4: Doing a lot to bring down inflation, but the Reserve Bank is simply punching itself in the face. It's counterproductive and it's not good to economic policy, and I'm incredibly disappointed at what they're doing.
Speaker 3: Well, the Treasurer responded and sought to distance himself from Swan just yesterday, and remember Swan is his close friend and old boss.
Speaker 5: Wayne went much further than I have. I'm making a factual point borne out by the National Accounts. I don't second guess the Reserve Bank.
Speaker 3: Well, the Coalition turned the heat on the government today over the anemic state of the economy. They accused Charmers of bullying the RBA and also took aim at the Prime Minister.
Speaker 6: Why won't the Prime Minister admit his government has been a disaster. As more Australian families are working harder and longer, but still going backwards.
Speaker 7: Last week, the Treasurer accused the RBA of smashing the economy. Then Labour's national president and the Treasurer's mentor, Wayne Swan, said, the RBA is quote punching itself in the face. Treasurer, Why does the alb and easy Labor government thinks it's acceptable to bully the independent RBA in this way when all they're doing is cleaning up Labour's economic mess. Why is the government fighting the Reserve Bank of Australia while Australian families go backwards?
Speaker 6: Why is the government fighting the Reserve Bank and leaving Australian families going backwards.
Speaker 3: With Well, the picture is building of Labor trying to turn the RBA into the villain, and this after the Prime Minister also tried to turn supermarket giants into a target for public anger over the cost of living crisis.
Speaker 2: But Wayne Swan is simply not believable.
Speaker 3: He's a failed treasurer obsessed with class warfare. This was the man who announced four years of surpluses but never delivered a single one.
Speaker 4: The four years of surpluses I announced tonight are a powerful endorsement of the strength of our economy, resilience of our people, and the success of our policies.
Speaker 3: The RBA governor has easily deflected criticism that the central Bank is to blame for the weak economy. She says that the top priority is to bring inflation down and that talk of rate cuts are premature.
Speaker 8: The federal government and the treasurers in a number of times that he's doing his bit to try and bring down inflation. My job is to focus on what I can do, which is only the interest rate. If inflation doesn't come down, then it might be that the best medicine is in fact that we have to end up putting more restriction into the economy.
Speaker 3: So not taking further rate hikes off the table. And voters aren't buying the criticism of the RBA anyway. The Herald's polling today showed that only twenty seven percent of voters blame the central bank. And not only aren't the public buying the argument, but they think the opposite.
Speaker 2: According to this Polster.
Speaker 3: Resolved director Jim Rey said that voters are much more likely to hold the government responsible for inflation than the Reserve Bank, and many actually think the IRBA is trying to solve the issues caused in part by government. But the Treasurer Jim Chalmers is right to say that the economy is being smashed. As he says, this is a statement of fact. If it weren't for the high migration levels, we'd likely be in a full blown recession right now. And we are in a per capita recession. We've had six successive quarters of negative GDP per capita growth, So Australians feel like they're in a recession.
Speaker 2: Their household budgets feel like this.
Speaker 3: It's a point the Shadow Treasurer Angus Taylor made in question time today and he called it a household recession.
Speaker 6: Can the Treasurer confirmed that Australia has been in a household recession for the past six orders and that this is the longest straight run of falling per capita output on record.
Speaker 5: Now, mister speaker, if we had taken the free advice of those opposites, if we had taken their advice, the economy would be in recession right now.
Speaker 9: Well.
Speaker 3: Jim Chalmers hit back again, claiming that the opposition wants a recession for political reasons.
Speaker 5: Those opposite don't support cost of living health, and they want higher interest rates. They want a recession for political reasons, and they're very disappointed when they didn't get one. Mister Speaker, if we had followed their advice, mister Speaker, or would be in recession right now, and we're not.
Speaker 1: This side of the House is fighting inflation.
Speaker 5: Without ignoring the risks to growth, and fighting inflation while recognizing the pressures that people are under, and we're getting the balance right well.
Speaker 3: The best political writer in this country, Paul Kelly, asks how far does the economy need to sink before a circuit breaker kicks in. He says Labour seems trapped between the politics and economics, with its declining trend in the polls and fear of minority government, the risk is that Labor will just offer a more of the same economic agenda at next year's election, a second term like the first. He says, that would mean bigger, more interventionist government, a costlier IR model, more red and green tape, no substantial tax reform, full throttle on the renewables transition, and subsiding wages in the care economy. He says that maybe enough to get re elected, it won't deliver a new growth model for Australia and Labour should be concerned about minority government because the Herald's polling also showed the Coalition and Labor neck and neck on a two party preferred basis. Labour's primary is at twenty eight percent while the Coalition's primary at thirty seven percent, but momentum is clearly in Peter Dutton's favor.
Speaker 2: The government is on.
Speaker 3: The ropes over national security and border security.
Speaker 2: It's let people in from a.
Speaker 3: Terrorist controlled war zone without proper security vetting, and now Peter Dutton has shown that he's coming after the Prime Minister over the cost of living, while with inflation still persistent and the economy week Albanezi should be worried.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: There's no greater service to our country and no greater act of selflessness than fighting for our nation. The mothers, partners and children of soldiers breathe a deep sigh of relief when they're loved ones make it home alife in one piece, but in too many cases, in the months and the years that follow, they go on to lose their loved ones to suicide. This is a blight on our nation, a deep shame on the defense and Veterans Affairs departments and on all politicians. The report from the Royal Commission into Veteran Suicide was finally handed down today after three years, seven volumes and over three thousand pages. I hope the Prime Minister takes the time to read every page. It is scathing of the Department of Veterans Affairs. It found that the Department is not in its current form actually capable of delivering optimal wellbeing support to the veteran community or addressing the risks of suicide. There are one hundred and twenty two recommendations. They include setting up a new body to help personnel transition to normal civilian life, also a formal inquiry into military sexual violence in the ADF. Here was Commissioner Nick Cowdice today.
Speaker 10: Well, when there's been dozens of inquiries and hundreds of recommendations, I'd say that's a failure in leadership. What is clear from some of the horrible stories that we've heard is that many people simply turn the blind eye over many years and felt it was too hard. We feel that unless there is an entity with enough power and resources to tackle the problems, they're simply going to persist. You can't keep doing the same thing over and over again and expect the result to come out different.
Speaker 3: There can be no greater urgency than this doing just what's right by our young men and women who put their life on the line for all of us. Well, this needs to be rectified by the Albanese government and urgently. I also just want to mention the veteran widows, the Daily Telegraph newspaper editor Ben English and the now editor of the Adelaide Advertiser Jemma Jones, for making this royal commission happen. Media power is so important, and in this case it forced the former government to announce a royal commission that didn't want to know about all. Right, now to discuss this, and while, let's bring in senior fellow at the Mensies Research Center, Nick Cata and Sky News' host Joe Hildebrand.
Speaker 2: Welcome, Sarry. How are you Joe?
Speaker 3: What do you think? This was a media campaign? The former government didn't want to hold a role commission. They said over and over and over again. We now have this scathing report. What does the government need to do here?
Speaker 11: The government needs to do absolutely everything the report says, and that includes obviously a special sort of purpose built, if you like, agency or department to help veterans transition from the armed forces into the community. It's a terrible comparison to make, but it's a bit like, you know, almost the transition.
Speaker 1: From prison into that outside.
Speaker 11: Once you've been in an environment which is highly institutionalized, highly regulated, where everything is controlled, you are doing extraordinary things that most of us could never even dream of doing, including potentially sacrificing your life for the nation. But that makes just everyday normal oring civilian suburban life almost you know, incomprehensible to some of them. There's also I remember reading years ago. I'm sure it's in the report as well. But you know, we are an Australian serviceman and woman is more likely to lose their life at the hands of their own weapon, or rather more likely to die from suicide than from an enemy bullet than from overseas combat. It's phenomenal. And again this is not necessarily a product of even seeing conflict or all. Necessarily. This happens when they're in training. So you have to have you have to have that awareness of the risk being there, and you have to have what they talk about in crisis management work I do with vineys and stuff that wrap around care, not just not just a Department of Veterans Affairs. It just sort of cuts the checks and post them out.
Speaker 3: Well, Nick, you know, I think it came out in the report that it's not so much PTSD, but it's the environmental fact as it's bullying in the Defense Department certainly part of it.
Speaker 12: The report goes into that in some detail factors as well, many of which have been around for ever since we had soldiers. I think, you know, I had a distant relative who came home deeply traumatized from the First World War and ended up getting it turning it out. But we all know those stories. But clearly this report, its main recommendations one hundred and twenty two are aimed at the Defense, Department of Veterans Affairs and the government. But what struck me in Nick Callis's report of the seven paragraphs, which is aimed at us as a general public. What the general public should do. And I think we all have a responsibility to honor our servicemen whenever we can thank them for their service, keep an eye on them, reach out to them. And I think if I unfashionable as Scott Morrison might be. He did a very I thought a very important thing when he was Prime Minister, and that was enrolled the welcomed the country ritual into we always said, and any serviceman here, thank you for your service. I think we should do that more.
Speaker 1: Is more regularly.
Speaker 2: I agree with that.
Speaker 12: Because so many of the stories in here people are coming back feeling that they felt they weren't valued, Nobody cared, nobody listened, nobody respected what they'd done. I want to say here and now that I respect every serviceman who's served our country. We all be and we have to say this loudly and often, I think, and.
Speaker 3: More often they're subject to attacks in the media than gratitude, and we've seen that a lot in the past few years now. Australian billionaire James Packer gave an emotional and very revealing interview last night and he spoke very courageously about his own private battles.
Speaker 2: Have a look.
Speaker 13: I think my downs coincided with either being on the wrong medication or having too much stress at work. And when I say too much stress at work, that's code for too much debt and problems with the business. I was put on lithium in twenty twenty two, and within two weeks was a zombie. I was a complete zombie.
Speaker 2: He was very vulnerable.
Speaker 3: He shared his pain, and he didn't only speak about mental health struggles, but also a battle with sugar.
Speaker 14: You know, the zembic thing that's happening at the moment when we go which I'm on it and I'm putting on what so you're still still Yeah, So I'm eating a lot of sugar.
Speaker 1: I'm mating. I'm consuming a lot of sugar.
Speaker 14: Because you don't drink, do you You're not I'm not drinking drinking, I'm not drinking. No, So where do you get? How do you get?
Speaker 1: All the sugar? Is just truckloads of sugar? Truckloads of sugar.
Speaker 13: Are you're not interviewing someone who's saying to you, I've got it worked out and I've got all the answers.
Speaker 14: My work in progress, my work in progress, Joe.
Speaker 3: You know, I think this was so brave of him to be that vulnerable publicly for millions and millions of people to see.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 11: Really really resonated me. It's been haunting me ever since last night. I'm bipoul myself not to the extent that James Packery is. I also know people have been on lithium and he's absolutely right. It completely zonks you out, and the cure is worse than the disease. I met James Packerd just once and I was stunned by how incredibly gracious and honest he was. And so this doesn't surprise me at all. But for someone who I suppose is in a business which relies on kind of you know, power, a certain amount of fear or respect for you, this is a towering human being who is basically just completely pulled down the facade and said, no, I'm a broken bloke, rebuilt, need to rebuild from the ground up. And I thought, good on him.
Speaker 3: I agree with you that element of his personality, and I don't know him personally, but that graciousness came through and he didn't want to say a bad word about anyone, and that really came through it in the interview. But Nick, you know, they spoke Rubbie Williams and James Packer spoke about the genetic element of mental illness. But you also got the sense that seeing as he first had his mental health crisis when there was a business deal in collab that a lot of this might be environmental, and you think.
Speaker 2: Gosh, life just might be easier.
Speaker 3: Not being a billionaire with all these pressures on you. You know, the simple life would probably be easier on one's mental health and probably you know lead right.
Speaker 12: Sorry, But I think any of us who've known people with mental illness or people who just get depressed from time to time, you know that if your mental health isn't very strong, then you don't cope with whatever problems come along. You know, problems that if you were a little bit stronger in your mind, would just you just be able to deal with become mountains in front of you.
Speaker 1: But I agree, I think this is.
Speaker 12: A true mentously courageous interview, and he's right. I think we don't. The medication is still very rough and ready for most mental diseases, whether it be you know, schizophrenia or whatever it is. And I think I've come to the conclusion over the years, knowing people like James who struck how my mental illness, that the worst kind of disability is the disability of the mind. You know, physical disability is bad enough, but if you've got a disability of mind, it just it just handicaps everything you do. It just stops everything you do and stops you having a fulfilling life. Though, Yeah, I mean, good on him and you know that, hope. He encourages other people to seek treatment and it encourages more research into this vital area.
Speaker 3: Yeah, one hundred percent. Just again, so brave of him to do that. And he mentioned a couple of times a few times in that interview that he was embarrassed to give an answer. So hard to sit there and open your private life up like that. Now let's turn to the Australian National University. This was just a shocking move. It appears to have backflipped on its decision to expel a student, Beatrice Tucker, who endorsed Hermas.
Speaker 2: This was the student on the ABC earlier this year.
Speaker 6: But surely if you're going to protest against that, you've also got to send him mishies to Hamas to release the hostages, don't you.
Speaker 15: Well, I actually say that Hermas deserve our unconditional support, not because they agree with their strategy.
Speaker 1: Can't You can't condemn what har Mass did in October.
Speaker 15: Now we'll not condemn what Hamas did. We must be unconditional, but we must be critical.
Speaker 3: Also, so A and you initially expelled her from A and U, but then The Herald reported today that Tucker posted on social media celebrating the fact that she was now allowed back on campus, and the university has refused to comment on the case. Joe, this sends the worst possible message, doesn't it.
Speaker 11: Look at Dard's But again, I think the expulsion or non expulsion is almost secondary to me. The most important thing is that this, this link has been exposed, and that it you know, the far left is openly siding with a terrorist, a prescribed, non ambiguous, prescribed terrorist organization, and refusing to condemn them, even when they're being led by the chain by the ABC host saying surely you're not that crazy to actually support these guys, And even then they just can't do it.
Speaker 1: And you see it again and again.
Speaker 11: There's more examples that will come to light, I'm sure, But again, sunlight for the best, Joe, you need to expose these people.
Speaker 3: I agree, we need to expose them, but then you also need to deal with them because the issue is that this becomes normalized, and if university chancellors, if the police, if everyone's turning a blind eye to this, then it just becomes normalized and.
Speaker 2: It's such a deep issue for us. Look, I just.
Speaker 3: Want to end with a story by my colleague and friendly and Mendes, who managed to track former nine News boss Darren Wick down and put a lot of questions to him over the explosive sexual harassment allegations that rocked Channel nine after his departure.
Speaker 2: Here was Liam confronting Darren Wick.
Speaker 16: What have you got to say to the women who've made allegations against you? Why haven't you spoken publicly about these allegations, mister Wick? These are serious allegations of groping, sexual harassment, and manipulation. You don't have anything to say at all. Why weren't you upfront about why you left nine?
Speaker 2: Nick?
Speaker 15: Now?
Speaker 3: I think people watching this might think, oh, you know, the poor guy, but not the poor guy. He was the head of Channel nine that did doorstops like this all of the time. He hasn't fronted up. There are dozens of women who have made complaints about inappropriate behavior or sexual harassment or a toxic workplace under him. He should be answering questions. This is what he would have been ordering journalists to do under his watch.
Speaker 1: I know, it's lovely delicious, isn't it.
Speaker 12: They throw the current affairs treatment back at him, which credit. Actually he handled it like you should in those situations, absolutely stony face, don't register, don't do anything.
Speaker 1: Certainly don't touch the camera.
Speaker 3: But you know, unlike Peter Costello, because when Lea went after him, he did touch the camera.
Speaker 12: But it was even contrast a terrific exercised by Liam.
Speaker 1: I loved it. I think everybody loved the iron of it.
Speaker 12: But let's hope Channel nine deals with this properly and quickly and just gets this, puts this whole thing to bed. And if he's responsible for underworld behavior, let's see he's bought.
Speaker 1: You know that he's brought to account for that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well they have been doing a report by an independent firm, so that is coming up still.
Speaker 2: But again, great work by Liam.
Speaker 3: Mendy, such an excellent journalist. All Right, Nick Kata, Joe Hildebrand, thank you both so much for joining me. Well, now let's turn it to the US now, because it seems like Donald Trump is calling back the lead at least in the New York Times latest national poll. This is a boost to the former president's campaign ahead of his debate with Kamala Harris, which will be Tuesday local time in the US Wednesday morning our time. Look, the same survey show that twenty eight percent of likely voters said they still needed to know.
Speaker 2: More about Kamala Harris. Well, this is a bad.
Speaker 3: Sign for the Democratic Let's bring it now. Sky News contributor Kosher Gata Kosher, great to see you again. Look, Trump was ahead in the national polling, but not in the crucial swing states. So take us through what this means.
Speaker 9: So the momentum definitely seems to be picking up for him and in his favor, where it's only a couple of short weeks after the DNC where you would expect to see a bounce for Kamala and it's all but dissipated. And for him also, just to step back and talk about the big picture, for him to be up even one point or one to two points in the national poll is dramatically higher than where he was at this exact point in twenty twenty and twenty sixteen, which is something important to remember because Republican candidates are always behind in the national pol but then they overperform with the electoral college. So This is good news. He's in a very good position going into the debate in the swing states, particularly if you look at some of the cross tabs for those who like to nerd out into the weeds with these poles. He's doing really well with his base, the white working class order bas where he routed a little bit of a support, had routed it in twenty twenty. He seems to be pulling them back and honor demographics like black men seem to be holding strong with him. They haven't really shifted towards Kamala Harris despite that. So all in all, I think he's in the best position that he could be in going into tomorrow's debt.
Speaker 3: Look, there's been a lot in the news about the endorsement by the Cheneese for Kamala Harris. Look, they are an influential Republican family. But at least Cheney has been an enemy of Trumps for a while. She was on the January sixth Select Committee. She came out against him on the Sunday shows in the US have a look.
Speaker 17: You know, Donald Trump presents a challenge and a threat fundamentally to the Republic. We see it on a daily basis. Somebody who was willing to use violence in order to attempt to seize power to stay in power.
Speaker 3: And those comments came after her father, Dick Cheney, released a statement saying, in our nations at two hundred and forty eight years history, there's never been an individual who's a greater threat to our republic than Donald Trump. He can never be trusted with power again, Kosha Yet Kamala Harris welcome the praise. She said, this was an honor, But didn't the Democrats hate Dick Cheney for his role in the Iraq wois and this a bit inconsistent.
Speaker 9: Yes, you're spot on, there was. I think social media was a blaze with people retweeting clips by prominent Democrats who are very very critical of the Bush Cheney era and that chapter and in terms of what it meant for foreign policy and US involvement in these wars. Look, I think talk about an inversion where these endorsements by and large don't really move the needle in it for the large part in a dramatic way, but they are important signals in terms of the pulse of the electorate. And now we're sitting at a time where Kennedy Democrats are for Trump and Bush Cheney Republicans are for Harris, which is something that even four years ago might have been unfathomable for so many people. Insofar as you know what the is going to do, it really depends on how much is going to move the base. I don't think any of these endorsements are doing anything to change the minds of the base of either party. But what are they going to do for Independence? I would think that a Kennedy endorsement tool see Gabbard and even non political figures like Elon Musk, you could see how that could move the needle a little bit for Independence in favor of Trump, Whereas I just don't think that a chain the endorsement one where the other is going to change too many independent minds.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: Well, speaking of Elon Musk, Donald Trump has confirmed that there'll be what he calls a government Efficiency Commission if he wins in November, and he's chosen Elon Musk behind the idea to lead it. Musk has commented on this on his platform X and he said that he was looking forward to serving America if the opportunity arises. So what do you think of this appointment by Trump of Elon Musk if he wins the presidency.
Speaker 9: Yeah, I mean, you know, commissions are not magic wands. They have their limitation in terms of how much change can effectuate. However, the big picture is everybody knows that there is massive government inefficiency all around the world, and the US is at the top of that heap with thirty six trillion dollars in debt, huge bloat. And then on the flip side, you think that entrepreneurs and successful entrepreneurs are inherently very very efficient because they're used to bootstrapping things and doing they're inherently geared to do much more with much less. So I think in that sense it's a good thing. Also, bringing in outside blood, if you will, people that aren't Washington creatures, havn't come up through politics is generally a good thing. Getting more fresh thinking from the outside inn That was a hallmark of Trump himself and his campaign in twenty sixteen. Maybe got lost a little bit in twenty twenty, so I think this is sort of a return to what one of his hallmark features was of bringing in outsiders who can shift the.
Speaker 15: Thinking a little bit. And I think it's netnet a good thing.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, agreed. A smart move at the very least. All right, Koshagada, great to see you again, Thank you. Now still to come in the show, world famous spiritual guru Deepak Chopra, he's going to join us. I'm going to ask him how to find happiness, what the meaning of life is, just some simple questions, and how we cope with the rise in anti Semitism. Let's see what he has to say about that. Plus the Green stoop to a new low with local candidates using her must symbols on their election material and pro Palestinian protesters have targeted Jewish school That and more in Labour's war on the RBA. With my Political panel next, all right, lots more to get through tonight. My interview with d Pak Chopra still coming up in the show, but right now, let's get straight into it with our Monday political panel. Bill Shorten's former chief of staff Cameron Milner and John Howard's former advisor David Gazard.
Speaker 2: Welcome to you both.
Speaker 3: Look Parliament back today politicians in Canberra. The economy and cost of living crisis dominated question time. The Coalition accused Labor of bullying the RBA.
Speaker 2: A quick look at that.
Speaker 7: Treasure Why does the alban Easy Labor government thinks it's acceptable to bully the independent RBA in this way when all they're doing is cleaning up Labour's economic mess.
Speaker 5: First of all, the governor of the Reserve Bank doesn't consider it the way that the Deputy Leader has said.
Speaker 3: Look, this is clearly Cameron where the political debate will be ahead of the next election on the economy, on the cost of living crisis. How do you think both sides handled this today?
Speaker 18: Well, I think it was quite good from obviously the coalition, but Labour's being reactive. Labor's backed into a corner and is becoming abusive. I mean the Prime Minister abused the resources sector today, but can I call it out? I mean Wayne Swan's attack on the first female governor of the RBA last Friday was just appauling Shari. He uses gendered violent terms like a punch in the face. He's got form on this. When Gail Kelly, who was a Westpac CEO, raised interest rates, he said it was a slap in the face. I mean these are terms which are domestic violence tropes, slap and punch. I mean, this guy's discussed it despicable. He only turns nasty with women though, when men have the same roles and do the same things, like you know, Governor Lowe said the same thing about interest rates that the Governor bull had said the other day. No attack there. But when it's a woman in a senior role, Wayne Swan unleashes and it doesn't deserve to be the party president any longer if you can't keep up with where the society has moved. Because it wasn't acceptable fifteen years ago, it was acceptable five days ago.
Speaker 1: Shari.
Speaker 18: You can't attack women in positions of power, and that's what Wayne Swan does regrettably.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's an interesting take on this because we have seen that Labour figures have been attacking the Irba governor for not cutting rates, but they did attack Peel low the former governor as well, over the rate rises and for giving mis leading.
Speaker 2: Advice to the electorates.
Speaker 3: So, you know, I take your point about Wayne Swan and the use of his words, the choice of words.
Speaker 18: That the language Shari, it's the language that.
Speaker 3: Hadn't occurred to me because this has been a consistent you know, leaf at it out of Labour's playbook. David Gazar to attack the IBA governors, hasn't it, rather than look at what they're doing themselves.
Speaker 19: Yeah, the time on a tradition in this would be have to go to the electro or to borrowers, to say shop around to get a better deal out of your bank, demand a better deal out of your private retail bank. Not to attack the RBA, because the government has the key relationship with the RBA in its charter. So the Treasurer would have signed a letter to the RBA governor whom he appointed, Michelle Bullock, that said we want you to keep inflation between in the band of two to three percent. Now that's her primary job, that's her only job, that's the job she takes most seriously, and central bank governors do. If Jim Chalmers really wants to change rates, he could write tomorrow to Michelle Bullock to say I've decided to change the the band, the acceptable band from two point zero to three point zero to two point five to three point five. That's within his power to do it tomorrow.
Speaker 2: But that's cheating.
Speaker 3: You can't just you can't just change the official inflation band.
Speaker 2: Though I mean that you most certainly can, that you might be able to, but surely that's not the level at most which.
Speaker 19: It most certainly is shari. You can change that tomorrow. That is the charter obligation the bank has, which is set by the government, between the Treasurer and the RBA governor.
Speaker 20: They could do it tomorrow.
Speaker 19: There's no point in challenging and attacking the RBA governor for doing something that you've asked her to do.
Speaker 3: And look, it seems like voters aren't buying into Labour's attack line against the Central Bank anyway.
Speaker 2: I spoke earlier in the.
Speaker 3: Show about the Herald's Resolve Political Monitor poll that shows that a majority agree that the government is responsible for bringing inflation down. Thirty seven percent agree that the Liberals are better at economic management.
Speaker 2: This is a key issue, cameren.
Speaker 3: What does this poll tell you about Labour's chances at the next election, given this is the critical issue for every family.
Speaker 18: I agree with David's comment before. I mean the government owns the RBA agenda, and the government went out to the last election and owned the cost of living agenda. I mean they promises the two hundred seventy five dollars power cut, they promised a cost of living war, and instead we've got eleven interest rate rises later, We've got the worst cost of living crisis on our hands. Our terms of wages relative everything else is going backwards compared to the rest of the world, all on Albanize's watch. So a little wonder that voters who are living through this nightmare are blaming Albanese and labor rather than other people for the cost of living crisis.
Speaker 1: So resolve.
Speaker 18: I think you know it shouldn come as any great surprise, and Labour's looking down the barrel of guaranteed only a minority government and worse, potentially a loss at the next federal election.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you're the only one who says, and it's interesting that you're a Labour figure only one who says there could be a potential loss. David Gazardo, I want to ask you, given the anemic state of the economy, given inflation is persistent, shouldn't the Liberals be further ahead in this measure in the polling that we see.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 19: Look, I think it's an interesting question, Charie. I think it comes down to whether or not the coalition is prepared to reveal its hand from a policy perspective this far out from an election. I noticed Angus Taylor, the Shadow Treasurer, saying a week or so ago that he'd come up with one hundred billion dollars in savings. No doubt that is going to fund some of the promises that coalition have between now in the election. It's always a tactical and strategic decision on when you release your policies.
Speaker 1: If you do it.
Speaker 19: Now, you get the government to you give the government the opportunity to work them over with the backing of treasury defined sort of loopholes or whatever they think, and he in raids a campaign against them. So it's become more of a campaign strategy. Release set later when people are starting to wake up and take notice during the campaign. So I think this will change as we get close to the election. Is sort of the short answer of what I'm trying to say.
Speaker 3: Yeah, look, we also saw this week Bill Shorten announced his resignation just a few days ago. He always wanted to be prime minister. Everyone knows that. Look, I have to ask you, Cameron Milner, you're a close friend of Bill Shorten's who served as his chief of staff. Why did Shorton choose to leave at this point in time? And does it indicate a loss of confidence in the Albaneze government.
Speaker 18: Well, I think Bill obviously I wishing well. I wish he was Prime Minister of Australia, like a lot of people I think around the table. Look, I wish him well in terms of the role of vice chancellor. That he's going to go on to the University Camberra. He'll do really well there. But I think the comments in the weekend papers show I mean someone said that you shortens departure was the biggest vote of no confidence in the Albanese government. So even if builded one send that message, people are interpreting that way and Albanese has got to answer the charge.
Speaker 2: And so why did he leave? Now, what do you think this timing was about.
Speaker 18: I think it's met explained. I mean, obviously, to become the vice chancellor of the Unversity of Canberra, it went through a vote. He had to obviously then announce that he was leaving and taking up that role in February. So the timing was the timing of the vice chancellor side of things, not the political cycle. But nevertheless, losing such a strong talent from the front bench leaves a huge deficit for Albanese who's not exactly blessed with strong advocates for his cause.
Speaker 3: No, indeed, all right, just before we go, let's turn to the Greens, and The Australian reported today that local government Green's candidates in one of Sydney's most populous Jewish areas are putting their names to pro Palestinian pledge cards adorned with inverted triangles that are closely associated with her MASS. David GAZARTI concerned that we have political hopefuls out there who are using such violent imagery.
Speaker 19: Most certainly, I mean, I think it's completely disgraceful. Within all of our five ICE partners that are signed up to our security agreement, all of them, if not all of them, describe MASS as a prescribed terror organization. It's not too long ago that Labor was urging the Coalition.
Speaker 20: To put one nation last on.
Speaker 19: It's how to Vote cards because Pauline Hansen had had the audacity to challenge the orthodoxy on immigration and question the high level of immigration. Julian Lisa has sort of run the case for Labor to put the Greens last for supporting an organization that is known around the world for it's It's it's it's strategical strategic attacks on Israel. Israel as a state of terror. I'm to have this, you know, in the body politic in Australia bewilders me and to not really understand how more people aren't jumping up and down about it. It actually frightens me.
Speaker 3: I'll completely agree, and I agree the pressure needs to be put on labor to preference Green's last. They keep talking about the Greens, Well, what are they going to.
Speaker 2: Do about it?
Speaker 3: All right, David Gazard, Cameron Mill, thank you both again for your time tonight.
Speaker 2: Now after the.
Speaker 3: Break, Oh, I should just add that those local Greens candidates, they claim that that inverted triangle represents an upside down watermelon. They say that it's not the hamas symbols, So got to give them their say for legal reasons. Now after the break, Deepak Chopper joins me Live with his outlook on the mental health crisis, what we should do about the social unrest in the world and how to find happiness. That interview coming up after this quick break.
Speaker 2: Welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well, every day it's becoming clearer that we're living at a time of great unrest and division. Weak political leaders are failing to ensure there's peace and social cohesion. We talk about this every night from a national security perspective, but it's just becoming more and more depressing, and if you're like me, it just makes me worried for what the future looks like, not just for our children, but our grandchildren and their grandchildren. It's why I was keen to speak with spiritual icon and legend Deepak Chopra tonight and I'm pleased to say he joins me live now from New York. Deepak, Welcome to the program and to Australian television. We saw we saw an emotional interview with Australian billionaire James Packer on television last night. He's a billionaire, but he struggles with mental health battles like many many people do around the world. What advice can you give on mental health and on finding happiness?
Speaker 21: Well, right now, there's a lot of research that actually shows what makes people happy. And there's an equation known as the happiness equation. And here it is H is equal to S plus C plus V. H for happiness stands for your set point in the brain for happiness or unhappiness. It's primarily your attitude. Do you look at the world as a problem or do you look at the world as an opportunity. That's fifty percent of your happiness experience every day. Ten percent comes from what is called conditions of life H plus S plus C. Conditions of life is money mainly, and it adds about ten percent to your happiness equation every day. If you win the lottery, you'll be very happy instantly. If you've become a billionaire in six months, you'll plito. In one year, you return to your set point. And the last part of the equation is the voluntary choices we make every day. We make two kinds of choices, one for personal pleasure shopping, sex, food, entertainment to make us happy for a short period time. But then there's a deeper fulfillment that comes if you have meaning and purpose in your life, and if you know how to make other people happy through affection, attention, appreciation, and acceptance. That, in short, is the research on happiness.
Speaker 2: That is a beautiful answer.
Speaker 3: Deepack, I spoke to you personally not long after the October seven terror attacks. But since then, the unrest in the world has only escalated. We're seeing angry and aggressive protests, violence, a massive rise in anti Semitism, hatred towards Jews, and many of us are feeling very bleak about the future. We worry about the life of our future generations, that it'll be overrun with hate and racism. Can you give us some advice at this difficult time, Goibally.
Speaker 13: Yes.
Speaker 21: You know, what we see currently is medieval minds and modern capacities for warfare and death, including drones and weaponization of even artificial intelligence, cyber hacking, et cetera.
Speaker 20: So we have leaders who are only.
Speaker 21: Interested in power mongering, cronaism, corruption, and influence peddling.
Speaker 20: And unfortunately this is a very bad combination.
Speaker 21: And what I am trying to do with groups across the world is create a basis for both prosperity and peace. When you link peace to prosperity for all sides, then there's a chance. And you know, right now, the main appeal should be to the younger generation, the gen Z, who are very pointed by the way we are conducting ourselves in the world. I have a program called the Soul of Leadership, which I've taught at various business schools in the United States that links leadership to shared vision complementing each other's strengths, finding the unique diversity that is good for any ecosystem, and creating a spiritual an emotional bond. And we're using technology. We have chat pots. We have a site called never Alone dot Love that you can go to where we encourage communities to create peace and prosperity, both online and off communities.
Speaker 3: It's a difficult problem, Deepak. You just mentioned technology. You personally are embracing AI. You've got a new book on AI out. But you've also recorded and this is actually quite incredible. You've recorded your voice giving advice on various different topics.
Speaker 2: There's a website. I tried it this morning.
Speaker 3: Actually you can ask any question to depac Chopper of any time of the day and your recorded answer comes back.
Speaker 2: Can you tell us how this works?
Speaker 3: And you know how why you love AI when it comes to spirituality.
Speaker 21: So I've written on ninety seven books over the last thirty years on things like health, personal growth and spirituality. And the website is called digitaldepok dot Ai, which does not loosin it because it's called a RAG system. RAG stands for retrieval, augmentation generation, which means looks at the latest information on health on well being. You can use as a personal confidante, you can use it as a health coach, you can use it as a research assistant, and you can use it as spiritual guide.
Speaker 20: And the book is right behind me.
Speaker 21: It's called digital Parma, or to use AI to elevate both personal well being and spiritual intelligence. Goes along with the website. Right now, you can ask the questions in English, Arabic, Spanish, and Hindi, but soon in Chinese as well, and other languages European languages as well, So the opens again to reach a critical mass for a more peaceful, just sustainable, healthier and joyful world.
Speaker 20: At least that's intention.
Speaker 2: No, it was amazing.
Speaker 3: I asked it, you know, how to stop feeling guilty about coming into work every night for my children. It gave me, and you gave me an answer. It was AI was amazing.
Speaker 20: But I hope digitallypuggd up.
Speaker 2: It was amazing. Yeah.
Speaker 3: Look, the other question I actually put into your AI website today and it gave me an answer that took less than thirty seconds to read, is what is the meaning of life?
Speaker 2: Deepak Chock right, what's the meaning of life?
Speaker 21: You know, ultimately the meaning is what you give it. But the meaning of life is the progressive expansion of happiness, enjoy and love, compassion, truth, goodness, beauty, harmony, and ultimately the loss of the fear of death if you get in touch with your deeper self.
Speaker 2: I can't imagine losing the fear of death.
Speaker 3: That seems to be impossible, but we can all work towards at Deepak Chapter, wonderful to have you on the show from New York tonight.
Speaker 2: Thank you so much for your time.
Speaker 3: And if you want to see Deepak Chapper Live, He'll be in Australia in Sydney on the twenty second of November. He'll be in Melbourne on the twenty fourth and for tickets you can go to Deepaklive dot com. And the book that he spoke about is called Digital Dharma. How AI can elevate spiritual intelligence and well being? Now after the break, pro Palestinian protesters targeted a Jewish primary school today, Well, how low can these low lives get? The w Premier needs to stand up to this disgraceful behavior.
Speaker 2: The details after this break welcome back.
Speaker 3: Well, just to end the show, a Jewish school in Perth today was targeted by pro Palestinian protests.
Speaker 2: There were about eight idiots.
Speaker 3: Who turned up at the primary school this morning. I'm not going to name the school for security reasons, but my team spoke to the principal today. She was highly disappointed by this. There was a community rabbi whose children actually attend the school.
Speaker 2: He was there when police arrived.
Speaker 3: They told the group to move on that the rabbi made the point that no one should be protesting on the doorstep.
Speaker 2: Of any school. Children should be left out of this.
Speaker 13: Now.
Speaker 3: WA police issued a number of move on notices to the protesters.
Speaker 2: One man was arrested.
Speaker 3: He's since been released without charge, pending further inquiries. But we have to draw a line here. This is unacceptable. These protesters can protest on the.
Speaker 2: Streets as vile as they are, but there.
Speaker 3: Are no circumstances where scaring school children is okay. Shame on them and the WA Premier Roger Cook needs to show leadership. He needs to call this out and make sure that everyone knows that if they turn up to a school they will be immediately removed or arrested. Kids need to be left out of this conflict. How can adults behave so idiotically. All right, that's it from me. I'll see you tomorrow at eight. And right now, here's Paul Murray.