Speaker 1: From The Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Monday, June one, twenty twenty six. The Orchest Defense Pact is getting a dose of shrink flation with the US Navy to give Australia three second hand Virginia class nuclear powered submarines, not the new boats we were originally promised. It puts even more pressure on Australia's own ability to build submarines in Adelaide. That stories live now at the Australian dot com dot au stars with planet sized egos, newsroom staff with big opinions, audiences with high expectations and low patients. That's the hot mix awaiting the new ABC News boss who arrives as management sort of not really denies sacking the last bloke. Today, Media Editor James maddens here to discuss the big push to reshape national broadcaster. James Madden is the Australian's media editor and we're talking today about one of the biggest jobs in Australian journalism that's just been filled by an Australian who nobody in Australia really seems to know much about. Simon Robinson has been appointed the new news director at the ABC. It's a big gig, replacing Justin Stevens James. Did you know Simon Robinson or much about him before this announcement was made.
Speaker 2: No, Like most journalists in Australia, I've never heard of him. That's not to diminish his journalism or his credentials in any way. It simply reflects the fact that he hasn't worked in Australia for about sixteen years, and therefore he has been out of sight, out of mind whilst at Reuter's in the UK.
Speaker 1: Like everyone else. I've listened to a podcast that he was interviewed for in twenty nineteen called Always take Notes, which didn't contain any sort of big insights about his career. But the thing I enjoyed most was that he started out after graduating from film school as a fact checker at Who Weekly, which, for people who don't know, is a kind of supermarket gossip magazine.
Speaker 3: So I jumped into journalism and I worked at the Australian equivalent. It was a startup actually that time inc started the equivalent of People magazine for a couple of years as a fact checker, which is something lots of American magazine in particular used to have, and some still do, but fewer and fewer.
Speaker 1: Shows that you can start out anywhere in journalism, doesn't it, and get one of the loftiest jobs.
Speaker 2: And does And we've all got to start somewhere, Claire. But look he's rise. You would say he's been meteoric since then. He earned bit of a reputation as a fairly ambitious and fearless go getter as a younger reporter, and was always willing when he was at time, as I understand it, to be dispatched to far flung posts, the further the better, and did quite well in those roles and obviously attracted a lot of attention for his reporting on the ground. He was in a rah when the statue of Saddam came down.
Speaker 3: I was with a battalion, a US Marine battalion, and it got to the outskirts of Baghdada on April seventh, and then into central Baghdad on April ninth, and that was the day that the statue was pulled down by the unit that I happened to be embedded with. It was terrifying and fascinating. It was really as an embedded journalist, you were in this kind of bubble. You could really only see what you could see to the horizon. That was your worldview. When I got to Baghdad, I kind of disembedded myself the day after the statue fell, and then I ended up staying through most of that year.
Speaker 2: More recently, though, as a deputy at Router's deputy to the editor in chief, where he's effectively had responsibility for twenty six hundred journalists across the globe. For Routers, I'm sure everyone at the ABC will be betting over backwards to make him feel welcome and show him the rights.
Speaker 1: I'm sure, I'm sure they'll be welcoming rolling up red carpet. Now, before we get into what the future is going to look at the ABC, let's take a brief look at what happened to Justin Stevens. Justin Stevens was a pretty young director of News when he was first appointed. He'd come from seven thirty Report I think very well liked in the Newsroom's got big fans in people like Lee Sales, and then was unceremoniously announced that he was going to be leaving. He's positioned that as he's decided to move on. It's not quite clear though, really whether that's the case. And this was the subject of some questioning at Senate Estimates. Let's watch this. This is Sarah Henderson questioning Hugh Marx, and.
Speaker 4: We returned mister Marx to the resignation of mister Stevens. I have received some information that you threatened to terminate mister Stevens if you didn't resign.
Speaker 5: Is that the case? I don't know where that information is coming from, Senator.
Speaker 4: I'm sorry, no, I'm not going to disclose the source clearly.
Speaker 6: Well, there were two people in the two people in our meeting, or maybe three, so.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether where that information has come from.
Speaker 4: So, but I'm asking you, is that true.
Speaker 5: I don't make threats, Senator.
Speaker 4: Did you suggest that you were going to terminate mister Stevens if you didn't resign?
Speaker 6: Senator, I think it's inappropriate for me to go into the details of individual discussions with mister Stevens. You know about a very serious matter in this forum. But I think the outcome is mister Stevens has resigned and we will be in due course in near future making an appointment.
Speaker 1: I'm hearing. Yes, that's correct, you've got me, Senator, what are you hearing? Men?
Speaker 2: Yeah, yes, if you were to read between the lines, and also in the people I've spoken to who are fairly well informed on this, it's no secret really that Hugh Mark's and Justin Stevens didn't necessarily see idle why. I'm not suggesting there were any massive blobs or anything along those lines. However, I'm told that Hugh Marx has been looking to push the news division in a different direction, tighten it up, just refresh things. And I think with Justin in that role, who was appointed well before mister Marx arrived, Justin's days were numbered as soon as there was the leadership change.
Speaker 1: It doesn't really matter who Senator Henderson's sources, of course, and the three people in the room that Hugh Marx is talking about is himself, Dinner A Morelli, the head of HR, and Justin. Those kinds of meetings don't usually result in someone spontaneously deciding to move on and spend more time with their families.
Speaker 2: Generally, no, generally no. I think it could be argued in some small part that Justin Stevens could argue that he's a victim of circumstances. He was appointed under the old leadership team headed by then managing director David Anderson. Obviously, there was significant change when Ida Buttrose moved on, replaced by Kim Williams and now Hugh Mark's eighteen months ago. The Williams Marks team unquestionably want to take the ABC in a different direction. They don't enjoy the status quo that I enjoy, the criticism that is leveled at the media organization and specifically the news division. And if you're going to make change at the ABC to try and steer the news division in a different direction, establish a fresh culture, then the existing news director has got to probably make way for a new set of eyes.
Speaker 1: I think there are probably two big themes of the critique of Justin Stevens and the ABC's news division over the past few years. One would be staffer out of control. Big personalities are either leaving in it in a half in zooing or saying things that are unwise on social media and don't get rapped over the knuckles very hard. The other critique would be that the ABC has gone woke and that it is too much pro Gaza, too much anti Israel. And too much kind of protrance. What do you think of all those critiques and how the balance of those things shaped the end of Justin Stevens' time there.
Speaker 2: I think the pro woke argument is probably overplayed somewhat. I think some high profile cases mask the fact that bind life charge. There are many many really good journalists at the ABC, but any kind of editorial misstep is obviously seized upon. It is the public broadcaster. Mistakes do get a lot of publicity, so I suppose a handful of glaring errors are magnified beyond what they might otherwise be.
Speaker 1: There's some suggestions of capture though. For example, the Australians been doing a lot of reporting by Stephen Rice about the ABC's partnership with Acorn, a pro trans lobby group, and a kind of commitment by the ABC to ensure that trans equality was reflected in its news coverage. That partnership has now ended, and I think the ABC's probably seen that it wasn't wise. Is that the kind of thing that would have happened, not at Justin Stevens's level. I mean, I can't see him being a kind of transactivity.
Speaker 2: Well, I think with that particular example, that was established by David Anderson, so before Hu Marx arrived, although Justin Sevens would have been out there at the time. But that's a good example of something that Hu Marx wants to Unwahan, basically to ensure that there's no perception of bias on what is a critical social and cultural and medical issue. It shouldn't be slanted through an activist lens, of course, So I think that's a good example of where the new leadership team have identified a glaring error that wasn't of their making. But the ABC being a you know, if you want to compare it to a giant oil ship, it's not easy to turn around. You can't spin it on a dime. And again I suppose that comes back to Justin Stevens, whereby it's probably taken close to six months from the time of plotting. If you want to use that word to remove Justin, it's probably taken six months to actually get to where they are now.
Speaker 1: It would be a hard newsroom to lead, and I think the Gaza issue shows that there is a workforce there at the ABC who maybe includes quite a lot of people who have quite strong views about Israel and Gaza. The Australian Jewish community certainly. I think very many prominent members feel that the ABC has been biased against them in their coverage. That's hard to change unless you're going to explicitly stand up in newsrooms and say, listen, we have to start being more fair. We are not getting this right. Why wouldn't Justin Stevens have done that?
Speaker 2: Do you think? Look, it's a hard question to answer. I would say that, as you mentioned at the top of this podcast, Justin Stevens was thirty eight years old when he took the position of Director of News. He'd come from several years as EP at seven point thirty when Lee Sales was host. From all reports, he had a very successful tenure at seven thirty and worked very well with Sales, but it was an enormous jump for him to go from that role to managing a workforce of the magnitude that he's the ABC and naturally too. When you step into a role like that, you are at age thirty eight, coming up against journalists who've done it more than twice as long as you, and as you said, they are forceful personalities and there's lots of them. It's hard for a thirty or eight year old who's pretty new to the job to be able to stamp his authority. So in hindsight, it might have been too much, too soon.
Speaker 1: Yeah, that is really hard. I can imagine how difficult it is. The workforce is also pretty militant to the ABC. You know, they have been striking recently. They've certainly done things like I Stand with Stan protest when Stan Grant quit in a half about what he felt was a lack of support from the organization. Simon Robinson has a big job cut out for him. One of the things that I think people would be hoping for or expecting from Simon Robinson is that he enforces the ABC's code of conduct in relation to social media. That is, don't have opinions on social media, especially not if they're going to embarrass the ABC that has clearly not been policed at all. Do you think that will be where he goes.
Speaker 2: I mean it's a difficult thing to rain in. I mean, this is a large workforce. But I think if what could be reinforced, and Kim Williams has spoken a lot about this, actually what could be reinforced is remind yourself that you're not targeting a particular audience. Your audience is the Australian taxpayer, and they need to as broadly as possible service the market, not just a particular niche, not just left leaning listeners and viewers perhaps, but they need to try and broaden the appeal of the ABC, which I would argue had significantly more appeal in previous decades gone by, and they seem to have moved progressively away from the center, and that's been a problem for a long time. I think if you move it back to the center, then other ills such as social media breaches might begin to remedy themselves.
Speaker 1: Most big news organizations, that particularly the ones that have a broadcastme, do have some very big and very powerful stars. Often they are more powerful, certainly more influential than the executives. Simon Robinson is, as we've discussed, a bit of an unknown in Australian journalism. What do you think the staff, particularly the big dogs, can expect well.
Speaker 2: I suppose one advantage that Robinson has coming in having zero profile within the ABC and being an outsider, is that he won't have any allegiances to any of the high profile on air staff who are used to getting their way so as an unknown quantity he can, I suppose, rid himself of any obligation to stroke the egos of certain people and just got it his own way. So that is an ace upy sleeve.
Speaker 1: I suppose someone will challenge him early on. I mean, that's what happens. Someone will try to mark their territory and he'll have to make a call. Has this person embarrassed the ABC? You know? Can I rain them in? Do you got any money on who might be the first challenger?
Speaker 2: You're trying to get me in trouble. What I would say about that is that Simon Robinson will have the absolute backing of few Marks from the get go, and hu Marks himself has said he doesn't really pay any attention to the reputations of the journalists. He judges people on their work. He doesn't want to necessarily socialized or be friends with the journalists, which I would argue is not necessarily the case with some previous leaders of the ABC. So again, if you've got Marx and Robinson in lockstep pushing back against any unreasonable demands or tantrums, let's suggest by some of the more high profile staff, then it's probably a good start.
Speaker 1: Well, We'll be watching with interest. Thanks James, Thanks Claire. James Madden is The Australian's media editor. You can check out all his reporting, plus, of course, Steve Jackson's media diary right now at The Australian dot com dot au slash media