Speaker 1: Les General, Welcome to the Late Basell.
Speaker 2: It's great to have your company. I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Caleb Bond coming up. I know a dog is a man's best friend, but would you spend one hundred and seventy five dollars on perfume for your pooch? Some people are and will show you the commercial that's encouraging them to do so. Plus, when we look at the papers, councils raking in millions of dollars from ticketless parking fines and training colleges being shut down over links to sex trafficking. But first, Queensland Premier Stephen Miles's latest election promise has been described as his dumbest ever. And that's saying something because outdoing himself for stupidity cannot be easy. Miles has promised to open twelve government run petrol stations across Queensland to bring the price of fuel down. Can you imagine it? Government run petrol stations staffed by public servants working from home, attended by just one operator, probably supported by the CFMU, earning two hundred thousand dollars a year. It's just what Queenslanders need. But It gets even crazier than that. He admitted today that his petrol station plan was not based on any research or any modeling at all. In fact, it's just pure gas.
Speaker 3: Have a listen.
Speaker 2: Have you done your own modeling or an own research or have you relied on ourcqs.
Speaker 4: This is our election commitment for what we will do for Queenslanders to drive down the price of fuel going forward.
Speaker 2: You haven't done any research. You described an idea from the Racques that might help with the election.
Speaker 4: Not at all. This is a detailed package of initiatives designed to address what we know from Queenslanders is one of their biggest concerns.
Speaker 5: So what research is the government done on this?
Speaker 4: This is an election commitment and it's a commitment that I am making to Queenslanders.
Speaker 6: Here here's a question, have you done model it or not?
Speaker 4: Well, this is an election committment.
Speaker 1: What does that mean or not?
Speaker 4: This is an election commitment. So it hasn't been produced by the public service.
Speaker 2: Yeah, but he's standing in front of a sign that says driving down fuel prices, so it must be true. Except that industry leaders and the lnp's deputy leader warn that government funded petrol stations will push independent operators out of the market and drive prices up.
Speaker 7: Stephen Miles is on the side of multinationals, and he will wipe out independent retailers, therefore creating less competition in the marketplace, in the marketplace, therefore driving up petrol prices for Queenslanders. It will have the complete opposite effect that he thinks this will have.
Speaker 2: My favorite part of that Stephen Miles interview Caleb was where he's asked, you know, so is there research? Is there any study backing this plan up? And he says no, it's an election commitment.
Speaker 5: Who needs to actually take any numbers into account when you may making promises, just say whatever you want.
Speaker 1: I was trying to get vote. I think you misunderstand.
Speaker 5: Example, money is your power bill is going to go down by two hundred and seventy five dollars. I mean that number was just plucked out of thin air. It certainly hasn't come into being.
Speaker 2: The Gabba redevelopment dollars thin air.
Speaker 5: It has totally made that number up and then commissioned a report to tell them that they shouldn't build it, but it said that they should do the gabber up anyway, So they just ignored that bit. You know, we accept the you know what, was it forty odd recommendations in that report. We accept thirty nine of them. The one they didn't accept was the most important one, which was redeveloped a gabba for goodness sake. And look, there's a couple of things here. As I explained last night, I sort of agree with the opposition that it would lead to overall higher petrol prices, because if you can only put your prices up by five cents a day, which is what Miles is suggesting, then it means the market will equalize and you'll never have lower petrol is because if you can only put them up by five cents a day, well you're not going to go down to the lows and then go to the tops as you have in the normal price cycle with petrol. The one good thing that could come out of this, though, is that if the union gets involved in a publicly owned petrol station system, they will want as many jobs involved in that as possible. And maybe this is the way that we can bring back bowser attendants who you pull up and they put the petrol in the car for you, because you know, the unions will be in there, demanding that we must have as many customer service jobs here as possible. Maybe we could get some proper service at a service station for once in our lives.
Speaker 2: They would have got on all of that. Whole thing's observed the good old days, it was like doing a Formula one pit stop. You'd have someone put the fuel in, they'd wash the windows, they'd check your tire pressure.
Speaker 1: I don't know how armac, but I think you're showing it because I can't remember a time when this ever happened. I've seen it on all the school American movies, but other.
Speaker 3: Than that, I've never even known this has existed.
Speaker 1: But obviously what Stephen Miles's show is just how desperate he is.
Speaker 3: I mean, in that video you can see his sweating bullets.
Speaker 1: This is an extremely uncomfortable man who has been caught out in we can't quite call it a lie, but here he has. He promised everyone a pony and a pony for their pony, and he's just been asked.
Speaker 3: Outright, or what's the modeling? How much is this going to cost you? And when are you going to.
Speaker 1: Roll this out? And in what timeframe? No details whatsoever. I've worked for government for almost a decade and one of the favorite things to do if you've lost an election. And the Libs did in wa very painfully what they love to do. Then, when Labor was expected to deliver on their election promises and were falling over themselves unable to do so, all the Libs, the handful of them that were left in the chamber, I'd love to laughingly chant together, fully costed, fully funded, fully costed, fully funded, because at least that's what Labor had promised when they took these certain promises to the election.
Speaker 3: Miles hasn't even bothered.
Speaker 1: There's no fully costed, fully funded, there's no plan behind this whatsoever.
Speaker 3: The guy's desperate. Three weeks ago, the Yugov polling showed.
Speaker 1: That he was on twenty nine percent preferred premiere, with Chriso fully sitting on forty percent. We know that all the polls in the lead up have been a resounding thumbs up for the Libs. He is now simply they've done all the polling, they've realized, oh my goodness.
Speaker 8: Cost of living is top of mind for everyone. So let's do fifty cent fares on public transport. Let's tell them we're getting petrol involved in how.
Speaker 3: There's going to be cheap at chips. We're cramping down on all these people charging you.
Speaker 1: Too much for petrol, trying to hit all the right moles on their head.
Speaker 3: But unfortunately no election is a whack them all. Otherwise it'd be working splendidly.
Speaker 1: But what this kind of thing goes to show, and I actually love it when it happens because it awakens the public to the fact that these promises that these guys make you, just because they're trying to shill for your vote, doesn't mean they're actually going to deliver or even have any intention of delivering on what they're promising.
Speaker 3: You just need your favor on the.
Speaker 5: Dat hasn't he heard of the Parliamentary Budget Office? Like there is literally a place you can go to and ask them to do the modeling for you.
Speaker 3: That's the point.
Speaker 5: You get them to do the modeling and then you say, look it is, we've sort of it all out. It's going to work. But also, how does Stephen Miles get over the problem in his head that he would then be going or his government would then be going into the fossil fuel business. I mean, after all this time, it's happen over fossil fuels. We're literally going to become a petrol company. Now, how do you do those two things?
Speaker 2: The other stupid part of this is as if twelve petrol stations in a state as vast as Queensland is going to make any difference to prices at all. What he would be better off doing is restoring the fuel re excise rebate. That and a bly removed back in I think it was twenty fourteen. It was about eight and a half cents eliter that she removed from Queenslanders. If he'd said, look, we're going to reinstate that excise rebate, I reckon people would be thrilled with him. He doesn't want ideas, he wants an announcement. He got his announcement. And the other thing that this proves is after helln've Labour been empowering Queensland.
Speaker 3: This would be their fourth term. They're trying for their fourth.
Speaker 2: Thirteen right, So do you think that's an example of a politician who's become very comfortable with getting a good run from the media. And it's only more in recent times that the career mails really turned against the Labor government. But he's so used to getting a good ride. He's expecting I can stand up, I can say whatever I want and not be challenged, and now he's shocked when journalists are really pushing.
Speaker 5: But it's also got a bit of the disinter Allen's about him, right, like he's had to follow a reasonably strong labor premiere and he's just not up to the job. Like you know, Justina Allen, ain't no Daniel Andrews and Stephen Miles ain't no Anastasia Paliche right like they were very strong leaders. What have you thought of them? They were strong leaders and so trying to live up to that and have the same sort of sway and cut through with the public following on from that is a very.
Speaker 2: When your nickname is giggles, but strength, but.
Speaker 5: Good good luck with you. It's good good luck with your petrol station, Stephen Miles, you may well need one to be there for you to go and work in when you get turfed out in October. Let's go to more of the craziness in the UK at the moment. We talked about it last night. You've seen it on if you've been watching the channel tonight, You've seen it on other programs otherwise you've seen it elsewhere. The rioting that has been going on in the UK, which of course was sparked by the killing of three girls last week and the belief that the guy who killed them was an asylum seeker. Of course he wasn't, but by the time that was confirmed it was much too late and people had started rioting and looting and carrying on across the UK. Well, the Prime Minister, Sir Kiir Starmer has made yet another statement condemning the violence as well. He ought to it is thuggery. But would you believe his concern only seems to be on one side. Now, let's be clear here. The violence has been perpetrated both by people who are demonstrating against mass migration and also by migrants, particularly Muslim migrants. So you'd think everyone would be up for a bit of criticism, not from Sir Kia. He put a statement on Twitter or x as it is now called, with a video and accompanying that with the words this is not protest, it is pure violence. We will have a standing army of public duty officers. We will ramp up criminal justice. We will apply criminal law online as well as offline. Now, if it's simply finished there, you'd say, yep, exactly, that's all what we want the prime ministers to say, except he goes on to write, we will not tolerate attacks on mosques or on Muslim communities. I mean, yeah, that's a given, But what about the attacks that have also been carried out by Muslims on other Brits. That doesn't come in for a mention from Cerquire and Elon Musk, the proprietor of X pointed this out himself in a reply to Cerquire, saying shouldn't you be concerned about attacks on all communities? If you're trying to lead the country, you'd think you would be. And if they seriously want to stand up and do something about this violence, as well, they should because it is outrageous in any democratic country that that is the way you deal with political issues. But as we're talking about last night, the reason it has got to this boiling point is because no one's been able to have a legitimate discussion about mass migration because every time they try to, they're torn down and told that they're racist, etc. So that the natural consequence of all of that is that eventually people lash out. But the lashing out has been on both sides. The government only seems to be interested in one version of that.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and the post from the Prime Minister only aggravates the situation. You've got white Brits predominantly who feel like they're being pushed out by migrants, so then feeling that when you read something like that from the Prime Minister, who's concerned seemingly about only one side, only aggravates the feelings that led to this violence, which, as you said, is unacceptable, but it just aggravates that situation rather than doing what the Prime Minister needs to do is to go hard against everybody who's writing and just calm things down a bit so they can get control again.
Speaker 1: Instead, he is gas lighting the Brits. So is his home section. But Terry, we're about to get to her in a minute, and this, you're quite right, this is going to enrage the situation.
Speaker 3: Keep in mind, this is nothing new.
Speaker 1: The Brits have been putting up with mass migration year in year out. Right now they don't even know how many illegals are in their country. It's estimated somewhere between eight hundred thousand and one point two million. But that just goes to show how undocumented these guys are even.
Speaker 3: The Home Office does not know.
Speaker 1: And in March of this year it reached an all time high of people coming across the Channel. It's up twenty three percent on the same time.
Speaker 3: The previous year.
Speaker 1: So Brits are just rightly saying, you guys are doing absolutely nothing about this.
Speaker 3: We have seen crime skyrocket.
Speaker 1: The death of these three beautiful young girls, of course, has just been a lit match in an entire nation of gunpowder. At this point, these guys were ready to blow and to see the man that they have elected that they now call Prime Minister standing up for seemingly only one side. And much as we've noted during our pro Palestinian protesters, the Brits are seeing the same thing. It's all over Twitter, first hand accounts of people saying it's the Brits who are being laid into very hard by the cops during the riots, again on both sides. But the others, the ones yelling ali wakba and running down white people in the streets, will show you a grab of that soon, singling them out to beat up on them.
Speaker 3: They're not the ones.
Speaker 1: That we're seeing accosted by the police. We seem to be seeing a two tiered policing system here, and we've witnessed much the same here when we've gone Hang on a minute, why is it when someone Jewish rocks up, we're bearing an Israeli flag, being a bit like counter protest.
Speaker 3: They're the ones ferried away. Get out of here, You're not welcome. You can't do this.
Speaker 1: Meanwhile, the pro Palestinian protesters can march in their thousands, yelling from the river to the sea, and that's quite okay by the cops. So this is something that is only going to detonate further if this administration keeps up this approach. And good on Elan and Musk for coming out, because I think it bears mentioning. If it weren't for X, I don't think we'd even know about what is happening in the UK right now. I'm not seeing reports of it on the mainstream media, on the regime media. It doesn't make anyone look any good. And as I said last night, this administration is now using this as an excuse to be like, oh, islamophobia and people are anti immigration, and using these riots on one side to denounce and denner grade guys who have literally just had enough of it. They're saying, where Brits, this is England. We have had it up to here and we will not take it anything.
Speaker 2: So the opportunity that Keith Keir Starmer has got here is to is to regain law and order, to come down hard on all the violence, and he's got to be color blind as he does it. If he can do that, then he immediately gets rid of the allegations of two tiered policing, which of course are as hot as you can imagine. And Nigel Farage pointed this out the other night. We quoted him. And when you've got this feeling that there's a different system for one group of people as opposed to another, that's what causes the angst. And people have got good memories. They remember during Black Lives Matter protests, two days after they became violent, twenty seven I think it was maybe twenty four British police officers were injured in riots, and two days later Keith Starmer took a knee for Black Lives Matter. Now people remember things like that and that's caused some of the ants. But he does have an opportunity if he and the police force can come down hard on everybody who is acting this way with no reference to race, background color, Well, that will restore some faith in the justice system and calm things down. But if he doesn't do that, all he's going to do is create even more angst and more violent and.
Speaker 5: Of course that is what they should do. I mean, you have to maintain order, right, especially the public order, and once you've done that, you then have to move on to the discussion that has led to all of this, or the lack of the discussion that has led to all of this, and that is the one about mass migration. But it is not just Sir Keir, of course, who is running this line that everything is being perpetrated against Muslims. It's also the UK Home Secretary adding fuel to the fire.
Speaker 9: The government has put in place new emergency security arrangements to support mosques across the country. The targeted attacks that we have seen on mosques in the last few days have been a total disgrace.
Speaker 3: It's part of criminal and violence.
Speaker 9: That we have seen in some towns and cities that we simply cannot stand for. We cannot tolerate far right extremism, racism or Islamophobia in our country.
Speaker 5: So it's all far right extremism, racism or Islamophobia that is going on according to the government in the UK. Well, let's just show you some of what is going on on the other side. For instance, Sky News UK our compatriots over there trying to do a simple report from the scene of some of these rights. Take a look. Do these look like the far right islamophobic protesters to you?
Speaker 9: Community leaders have been speaking to the police as well, because.
Speaker 6: I think, apologies for the language you're.
Speaker 3: Hearing, but.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think Becky apologize.
Speaker 1: We need to leave you there.
Speaker 5: Yes, they're all white far right protesters. Clearly. The sky News crew was then followed by a man who took out his anger on a car.
Speaker 3: No, no, no.
Speaker 5: Can do sense to us that Sky newses van by the way, so in since he is by them simply reporting on what is going on.
Speaker 3: And then over at.
Speaker 5: The BBC when people have simply tried to raise questions about how all of this started. And this is a former chief superintendent at the met by the way, a man who knows what he's talking about. He's simply trying to say, look, there's more going on here than just far right protesters taking to the street. He gets cut off.
Speaker 10: It's my colleagues and my family members are in front line dealing with this. They're taking the rip backs. What I'm saying is you cannot You have to be very careful now with tempers the way they are and people's sense of answer to what had gone on in the preceding couple of days where you'd had an army officer stabbed in the back, the misleading representation in the Northwest where this is.
Speaker 3: That's a different case, Kevin, So we'll leave it there. That's Kevin Hurley.
Speaker 10: They're not you're missing the point. All If you're missing the point, people conflate this and they make.
Speaker 9: Listening that conflation by mentioning the two cases together here.
Speaker 3: So we'll leave it there. Thank you, Kevin Hurley.
Speaker 5: Yet again, we're simply trying to talk about what's actually going on here. No, no, it's only the far right white protest as well. Yet again, here's some non white, non far right protesters going after a white man. And we cannot show you the worst of this footage, but it does give you some idea. It is an absolute lie to portray this as simply far right white protesters taking to the street and causing these riots. It is happening on both sides. And as we were all saying before, by leaning into that, this simply inflaming the riots, if you want to calm it down, they're going about it exactly the wrong one.
Speaker 1: And the media, of course is being completely complicit. The BBC, the national broadcaster over there last night the riots in Birmingham, their report failed to mention just completely omitted who.
Speaker 3: The perpetrators were. Oh, Rights in Birmingham, Rights in Birmingham.
Speaker 1: Yeah, totally left out the fact which side instigated what had happened the night before in Birmingham.
Speaker 3: And there they are cutting.
Speaker 1: Off that fellow who's trying to expand on the fat that hey, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Okay, this is now exploding. And he was only going back to a few days prior. He could easily go back to years prior and the heenus crimes that the Brits have watched play out in their streets for far too many years. Now, that is what is exploding, and nobody wants to talk about it. They're being gas lit by the media, they're being gas lit by their own government. Is it any wonder that this isn't going to let up anytime soon because protests other language of the disenfranchise. Riots are the language of the disenfranchise, and these guys are sick and tired of these trees and as treacherous administrations telling them, no, you guys don't matter. We're putting minorities first, not the natives.
Speaker 3: We're putting them first.
Speaker 2: But the irony of this is at Kirstarmer's right hand woman, Rachel Reeves, who's the UK Chancellor. She said back in twenty sixteen that unless they addressed the issue of immigration, they were sitting on a quote tinderbox with bubbling tensions. And so she predicted this eight years ago, and she certainly wasn't justifying it. She was just snipping the wind and saying, if we keep going down the way we are going, we're going to end up with exactly what we've now got. So she was saying this in twenty sixteen and bravely. So now if you say it, you're in trouble. But of course police are certainly cracking down with comments online and while they're failing to get control of the streets, they're very determined to get control of the internet. Here's a police officer coming into someone's home and arresting them for comments they made on Facebook.
Speaker 1: Okay, the Times twenty three, fourteen forty and arresting you a suspicion of improper use of the electronics communications networkak So you do not have to say that that may harmon defense?
Speaker 10: Do you not mention one question?
Speaker 3: Sup?
Speaker 10: That Jenata iron core? Anything you do you see, maybe get an evidence. Do you understand that? So I'm actually being arrested.
Speaker 4: To be arrested?
Speaker 8: Okay, that's a police station.
Speaker 1: Okay, this is in relation to some comments that you've made on a Facebook page.
Speaker 5: Oh real Facebook?
Speaker 3: Prime is that.
Speaker 2: The first thing the government have got to do is get control of the streets. That's number one, and so yeah, and then they've got to show leadership and have a conversation about some of the issues that have created this angst. Doesn't justify what's happened, but it has contributed to it. But how do you have an honest conversation? And you pointed this out earlier when you start cracking down on speech, So everybody's too afraid to speak honestly about what is happening.
Speaker 3: It's just afrasy. They're just not allowed to.
Speaker 2: And they're afraid to because the don't want to be arrested. So it's a lot easier just to blame the far right, paper over the cracks and carry on until the next riot happens.
Speaker 3: They can't do that.
Speaker 2: They've got to show leadership and part of that is leading a honest discussion. I don't know whether Kirstarma's got the ability to do that well.
Speaker 3: Watching that video is just harrowing. You're like, is this Britain or the Soviet Union? The Gestapo have a new accent? What is going on here?
Speaker 1: It would surprise most people to learn that last year alone there were over three thousand, three hundred arrests due to posts on social media in the UK, police coming to people's doors, knocking on their doors, and usually it was anti immigration. It is something they'd seen or heard. Remember what they had to put up with on their Memorial Days and their absolute everyone flying the wrong flag, denigrating their statues.
Speaker 3: Again, Brits have just had to sit.
Speaker 1: Down and take this because the government keeps taking the wrong side. So they take to social media to share their experiences and their frustrations.
Speaker 3: No, you get arrested for that.
Speaker 1: Three thousand, three hundred plus Brits got arrested last year because they were very frustrated and rightly venting on social media. This is again all part and parcel of what we're seeing the pushback on in the streets now. I mean, what do you expect and they have been warned. It's not just that brilliant what was their name.
Speaker 3: Rachel Rachel Reeves? Yes, and we all remember.
Speaker 1: It at the time and applauded her at the time, but no one has listened. All the conservative commentators have been saying the same, Douglas Murray, Brendan O'Neil, all the well known Brits have been saying, this is where identity politics is going to take you, and here we are.
Speaker 3: So they can't say they weren't warned.
Speaker 1: They knew exactly what was going to come about as a part of this, and even now they're just playing into it.
Speaker 2: The other funny part about it's not funny but challenging part for Kiirstarma is he's from the progressive left. They're traditionally soft on crime. Right. They shut down police stations, put money into soft welfare programs. They're going to have to get some of that money back now and start putting officers on the ground in police stations to regain orders. So that's another contradiction.
Speaker 3: Well, I don't know about soft on crime.
Speaker 1: The Home Office did a post on X today saying for rioting you can get up to ten years people for violent discord, five years in prison. For you inciting racial hatred up to seven years in prison. So these guys are talking a big talk, but like you said last night, Mac, they don't have room in their prisons to actually do what they're threatening to do. And I bet the Brits know that just as much as the pro Palestinian or the radical Islamists who are causing trouble on the alls, they would all know that actually your hands are tied.
Speaker 3: You don't have enough room to lock us all lot.
Speaker 2: Well, as I said last night, I was quoting the UK Times. They said there was only seven hundred vacancies for male prisoners right across the UK, and as a result of these riots, the arrests are well over four hundred people now, So they're rapidly reaching a point where I don't know what they're going to do. Speaking of people who don't know what they're going to do, Kamala Harris is getting close to her Democrat convention and she still hasn't figured out who her vice president will be. Although a lot of people suggesting Josh Shapiro would be a very good choice, in the irony is that a lot of Republicans are suggesting he'd be a good choice as VP as well. He is in favor of school vouchers, which will enable people to choose which school they send.
Speaker 3: Their kids to.
Speaker 2: He used to be anti fracking, but now appears to be pro oil and gas. He's been a critic of Benjamin Nette Yahoo, but has been very staunch in his defense of Israel and it's right to defend itself. He's been tough on pro Palestinian protesters and on college campus protests. But maybe that's part of the problem. You see, he himself is Jewish, and so now many of the Democrats are saying he might not be the best VP pick because he's going to upset the progressive left. Here's one of his colleagues explaining just that.
Speaker 11: Those in the overly online left who are attacking Josh Shapiro's pro Israel positions in a different way than they are attacking non Jewish contender's positions. They're just telling on themselves. There is a strong undercurrent of anti semitism to that it's unacceptable.
Speaker 2: It'd never imagined that anti Semitism would now be a defining factor in choosing the vice potential Vice president of the United States list.
Speaker 1: This is definitely tricky for her because of course half the Democratic Party didn't rock up to Netanyahu's congressional speech the week before last, opposing the true She didn't rock it in Gaza, she didn't rock up, but then she had a one on one meeting with him later. So I was like, h virtue signaling, but having you cake and eating it too. So this Shapiro would be a very interesting pick for her to make, but also a good compliment. You don't want too much of the same when you're talking about a presidential nominee, end a VP pick you want you want, kind of like a Yin and Yang situation going on, And in that respect, Shapiro could be very complimentary to her. My question is more like who on earth would want to be this woman's VP.
Speaker 6: No, we have to stay woke, like everybody needs to be woke, and you can talk about if you're the wokest or woke her. But just stay more woke than less woke.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you could not pay me enough, I reckon.
Speaker 3: It's Shapiro himself who.
Speaker 1: Has asked the Republicans to say ground how about you guys pitch in, say what a great VP I'll make? So then they won't pick me because I want to dodge.
Speaker 2: This for Can we just can we play that clip one more time? But this time when you watch it, don't listen to Kamala Harris so much as watch the blonde woman sitting beside her and look at the expression on her face as Kamala Harris speaks.
Speaker 6: Have a look, No, we have to stay woke, like everybody needs to be woke, and you can talk about it if you're the wokest or woker.
Speaker 3: Just stay more woke than less woke. Yeah, cayleb I reckon.
Speaker 2: She's sitting there thinking, I wonder if Kamala Harris really did fall out of the coconute.
Speaker 5: Yeah, quite right, seriously, and that was twenty seventeen, right, So it's every time that it's brought up that she was the most liberal senator. I mean, so she can't deny it. Oh, everybody should be woke Ian and who's having a debate over whether they're woke her or the woe caist. I mean, I didn't know that this was something she would kick measure in contest. But we're going to work out who's woker than the other, because of course, when they come for you with the social credit score, they will be checking your wokery and where you sit on the scale in order to continue living in the country.
Speaker 3: But it is.
Speaker 5: Absurd that we are at a point where someone's viability as a vice president could be based on whether or not they are Jewish. Like, almost on that and I know Kamala would feel very differently, but almost on principle alone, that would be enough for me to say, well, he's my guy, because if the people in the party hate him that much there were some people in the party hate him meant that much, it proves he's doing the right thing. I mean, you can't just go around saying well, you cannot possibly be the candidate for vice president because you're a Jew and shock horror, you've supported Israel. I mean, what do they expect him to do? Roll over and just forget about his ancestry. It's bloody obvious there are other things you could say he is not suitable for VP. I mean, the fact that he's only been the governor of Pennsylvania since last year they have might disqualify him from the opportunity to be VP. But no, they're going after his ancestry in the fact he supported Israel. As you said, Liz, generally, and this is why. In the Labor Party, and I know it's a bit different at the moment, but in general you've had a Labor Right leader and then a Labor Left deputy leader, and part of that comes out of the fact that the factions do have to share some stuff and make decisions about divvying up who gets certain ministries and whatever. But in general, you have someone that comes from one side of the party at the top, and then their right hand man or woman these days, in the equal opportunity world comes from the other side of the party, and you are served much better in that kind of arrangement, both in terms of playing to the public and smoothing things over in your own party when you've kind of got both sides, and so having Kamala and Shapiro would achieve that. But as we were saying to Paul Off, Air Eliza I were anyway saying to pull off air earlier. If she does go with Shapiro, the crazies will all turn up to the DNC and then they will turn it into an absolute you know what show, And that's something she would want to avoid because if the DNC goes really well, it gives her another boost, and the more boost she can get leading up to November, the better.
Speaker 1: But speaking of boost, because he is the governor of Pennsylvania, everybody wants a boost in Pennsylvania because it's one of those knife edged states. So if she were to pic Shapiro for VP, well maybe.
Speaker 3: That would get Pennsylvania across the line.
Speaker 5: Who knows.
Speaker 1: But this recent stock market a tumble, shall we say, getting everyone very very worried about their stocks. Trump has gone ahead and brilliantly dubbed this the Krmala crash, and it didn't take long for the Internet to kick in with a parody video saying, no, no, is this Kamala crash or Biden economics at work, which she's been talking up for years.
Speaker 12: Here we go, look at them go down what some would call history of the don't say that I've never.
Speaker 3: Been down a thousand points. Ever, not even enter day on the now step.
Speaker 6: Bidonomics is working.
Speaker 3: It's working.
Speaker 11: The stock market has just taken a big old nosedive this morning.
Speaker 3: Ol Jones is down about one thousand and ten points. That is calmed fidnymics.
Speaker 5: The Dow fell more than six hundred points Friday on a weaker than expected.
Speaker 2: Jobs are for five percent, Meta, six percent, Amazon, six percent, Apple nine percent down.
Speaker 3: Tidonomics is working.
Speaker 1: Next move is the great depression of twenty twenty four, Trumpez warned. But of course, if you vote for him, it won't get that bad. Although while everyone's laughing about this new dubbed Kamala crash, it's all her fault. I think we found the legitimate source of the Kamala crash in the White House's Economic Advice as a Jared Bernstein. Here he is struggling to answer the most basic question.
Speaker 5: Like you said, they print the dollar, so why does the government even.
Speaker 3: Borrow well.
Speaker 13: The so the I mean again, some of this stuff gets some of the language that the some of the language and concepts are just confusing. I mean, the government definitely prints money, and it definitely lends that money, which is why the government definitely prints money, and then it lends that money by selling bonds.
Speaker 3: Is that what they do?
Speaker 5: They they.
Speaker 3: Yeah, they.
Speaker 13: They sell bonds. Yeah, they sell bonds.
Speaker 1: Mister Bernstein, you literally have absolutely no idea what you're talking about, do you. That interview actually started with her saying, well, hang in a minute. You just said the government can't go bankrupt because it prints the money. He sits there with the US in thirty five trillion dollars debt, so rightly, she says, well, hang on a minute. So if you're printing the money, why do you need to loan money at all? He could not even answer. The way the system works. It did my head in. Then you have to watch the entire length of that interview. You will be either laughing or crying by the end of it.
Speaker 3: Maybe both.
Speaker 2: I think you're being unkind to the guy. He managed to do something very, very remarkable. He made Kamala Harris sound articulate. We're going to go to a break when we come back for look at What's making News in Tomorrow's Papers.
Speaker 3: Welcome back.
Speaker 2: Let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers. And if you've been watching the show for a while, you'll know that Caleb Bond loves a good anti council story. The Telegraph.
Speaker 5: I got one, that's right, stuffham, I say a polish A lot of them, You useless Bastard's one thing they are good at, though he's getting money out of you. As the Daily Telegraph points out tomorrow, it says, sneaky councils to fire the state on parking tickets. Stop this fine mess. Gritty suburban councils raked in more than one hundred and fifty five million dollars from ticketless parking, finds last financial year for an explosion in ranges issuing fines without leaving a ticket, despite being ordered by the Men's government to stop the practice months ago. So basically what happens is you rock up to your parking spot, you overstay, you're welcome, you get a fine, but instead of it being slipped under the windscreen wiper, it turns up in the mail weeks later, which means you don't have the opportunity to collect any evidence that may well prove that you hadn't overstayed the time there, or that the sign was confusing, or that you had parked within the rules given and of course the councils know this. The whole thing is set up to disadvantage you, so you just go, oh bug it, I'll just pay the fine to get the thing out of the way. But it has resulted in a forty seven percent increase in the fines being issued, or there's certainly been such an increase in the ticketless fines being issued, because the councils.
Speaker 3: Will love it.
Speaker 5: They don't give us stuff whether you're in the right or not. They just want to get as much money out of you as possible by whatever means possible.
Speaker 3: Fifty two million last financially.
Speaker 1: Fifty two million is what they wrong out of our basically called dead hands, due to the fact that we're already living at a cost of living crisis of their making, and yet they're ringing every penny out of us just to park the cars that we pay extortionate fees to have, especially if you're in Sydney and on.
Speaker 3: The roads that we already paid to belt.
Speaker 1: It does my head in I recently got a three hundred and twenty dollars parking fine for parking.
Speaker 3: On my own street.
Speaker 1: Now I have my own park, but being neighborly and my neighbor was moving out. I said, yeah, you can have my part. That's fine, I'll park on the street. There is no signage on this street saying that there's anything special about the yellow line. Yes, everyone has to listen to me on my soapbox right now. No signage whatsoever. What kind of a parking fine is three hundred and twenty dollars? I can cop eighty or maybe one hundred and twenty, but three hundred and twenty. So I wrote into the council very kindly, zero abuse, and simply explain the situation.
Speaker 3: I was just being neighborly.
Speaker 1: By the way, if you're going to whack people, maybe you need to put some signage on the street indicating that there's something special about this yellow line and people can't park there. Otherwise they will cop an extortionate feet because who would risk a three hundred and twenty dollar parking fine?
Speaker 3: Nobody?
Speaker 5: Did you park on the yellow line?
Speaker 1: Yes?
Speaker 5: I thought everyone knew not to park on yellow line.
Speaker 3: Well, I'm not from Sydney.
Speaker 1: Is it also not true that hire I lived previously, there was no yellow line.
Speaker 2: Was half your car in like a a garden bed or something like that?
Speaker 3: Someone's driveway.
Speaker 2: No, you don't.
Speaker 5: Park on yellow lines. There's a yellow line there at means there was.
Speaker 8: No signage on the street the point of the yellow So what happened.
Speaker 2: Did you get a response from the council.
Speaker 1: No response from the council, just another fine with sixty five bucks on top on because you haven't paid it.
Speaker 5: And I'm like, I didn't even get I thought yellow lines were a universal language for you can't park, because nor do they put them in.
Speaker 3: From w way, you can't. It should be a red line.
Speaker 5: Of course there is. But I take your point.
Speaker 3: Do you guys have yellow lines in Adelaide?
Speaker 5: Yeah yeah, yeah, yeah on on into like at the corners of intersections and stuff.
Speaker 3: So okay, but you guys.
Speaker 1: Were weird when you were live there, where you were living in Melbourne.
Speaker 3: When you were living in Melbourne, were that yellow lines? I can't remember. I just know that you.
Speaker 5: Don't park on a yellow line.
Speaker 1: But I take your perth, no yellow lines, Queen's no yellow lines.
Speaker 3: I moved to Sydney. They're like, oh, yellow line means three hundred and twenty.
Speaker 5: I take it out. The three hundred and twenty dollars is insane, though, and I remember doing a story when I was in Adelaide about a council where they had gone through and changed the parking rules on some particular street right, but everyone just continued parking on the street because they had not been informed by the council that the rules were changing. But they just came through one day and put up some signs or something. Right then they went through and they find literally every vehicle that was parked on the street because the residents didn't know that they now had to apply for a permit or something. And so someone wrote to me and was like, Caleb Helpers bleeds is like ninety of us have received three hundred and twenty dollars fines. Anyway, I managed to get that problem fixed up. It's amazing how quickly councils do things when the media gets involved, because they're like, oh, no, it's some bad publicity. The three hundred and twenty dollar was insane.
Speaker 1: You're hurting nobody. I don't even know why there is a yellow line there. Literally I have studied it from every angle trying to figure it out out.
Speaker 5: How you literally get less of the punching someone in the face's ridiculous.
Speaker 1: Thank you, also, can you please write into the council since you're so affected, Well.
Speaker 5: Well you should have just done it on the show that night.
Speaker 3: Never get stored, counsel.
Speaker 2: They showing you even more money after them to.
Speaker 3: The front page of the odds Now.
Speaker 1: If rates pain persists, please.
Speaker 3: See doctor Chalmers.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's going to fix anything, but Reserve Bank Governor Michelle Bullock has pushed back the prospect of interest rate cuts until next year and revealed quote very serious end quote consideration was given to a hike on Tuesday, with the Central Bank acknowledging that government spending was keeping inflation higher for long.
Speaker 8: Go ah, tell us something we don't know.
Speaker 1: So the cause of our pain isn't doing anything except for funneling out more forms of hey, free money, because we know you guys are in pain. Therefar prolonging the pain.
Speaker 3: There's just no end in.
Speaker 1: Sight because I have not seen, and I said this last week, any state premiere or any of our federal government say anything along the lines of, Okay, we've got to be a bit frugal. Everyone tight in your belts. We've got to get our spending under control. In order to get this under control. It's just not happening.
Speaker 5: Dr Chalmers is just bloody lucky that we're probably not going to get an interest rate rise now on the on the back of what's been happening overseas, particularly in the fact that we are effectively in recession. They don't want to lean into that any further. So bloody lucky in that respect.
Speaker 2: The headline if pain persists, see doctor Chalmers. The first thing I thought of.
Speaker 3: Was, here's the pain.
Speaker 2: What's the the doctor on the Simpsons who you go in with a sore arm and you come out with a leg having been imitated. That's the kind of doctor he is. It just makes everything worse.
Speaker 1: To the second splash in the front of the Ods, sex slavery fraud trigger crackdown on colleges. Dozens of dodgy training providers have been shut down over ties to organized crime, fraud and bogus qualifications as cash staffd universities threatened to sack staff. Home affairs officials have revealed that sex trafficking and slavery among international students, along with the housing shortages, are the main reasons the Albanese government is rationing enrollments of international students in Australian universities, training colleges and schools. Well, well, well, it's the first we've heard of that angle.
Speaker 5: Well, I don't know that just the first we've heard, but I think it's been going on for a long time. It's the first time something's actually been done about it, thank god. And now the unis are jumping up and down and complaining we're going to sack staff if you cut the number of foreign enrollments. We're allowed to add that the universities are basically acting like organized crime gangs themselves. They're making the argument for them to be shut down.
Speaker 2: Indeed, we're going to go to a break. Would you buy perfume for your dog? Would you buy luxury perfume for your dog? Coming up in a second, welcome back. Well, we all know that Caleb's got cats and he certainly pampers them. But Caleb, would you pamper a dog?
Speaker 5: Well, I've always thought that dog people are a bit weird, right, and they're certainly very entitled. They think their dogs should be able to crap anywhere it likes. I don't have to pick it up. I should be able to take it on the train. I should be able to take it to the pub.
Speaker 3: I should be able to let it.
Speaker 5: Yap all night in the backyard. Well it just goes one step further, like you are doing nothing to dissuade me from thinking you are a bunch of widows. Because dog chain Gabbana has decided that there is a market for one hundred and seventy five Australian dollar perfume for dogs. Take a look.
Speaker 10: Fast, one thick flour.
Speaker 12: I am delicate, authentic, charismatic, sensitive, enigmatic, rebel, fresh, irresistible clean because I'm not just a dog. I'm the new alcohol free freaks missed for dogs.
Speaker 5: I mean, seriously, look, there may actually be an argument for it, because of course dogs sometimes absolutely bloody stink. Cat's just clean themselves up. Dogs you've got to have them washed and shampooed, and you've got his spray perfume on them so they don't bloody stink. Why did people persist with this?
Speaker 3: Not?
Speaker 2: Who knows that, tilly what I persist with? I hit the same pothole almost every night on my way home from these studios. But some people in the Victorian town of Inverlock have found a clever way, a creative way of getting the council to fix the roads. Some guy painted an image of a giant penis over the pothole. That was so annoying locals. Now there's the image there now that went viral on social media. Here's some of the comments that people made. Someone said, seeing that image, let me guess that's Ala Thorne's road. I've been dodging this for a while now the whole I mean. Someone else wrote, made my day. That pothole is awful. Another person wrote I had a laugh driving over this and was grateful that it stood out.
Speaker 3: Well.
Speaker 2: Guess what, just a few days after that image was painted all over the road where the pothole is. Have a look at what council did. They managed not only to remove the image of the dried penis, but the pothole is magically filled. So if you've got a pothole out the front of your place. I don't know if there's enough paint in New South Wales to fix all the potholes, but creative idea got council's attention. That's it from us stick around. Coming up is the read a Penalty show