Speaker 1: It's queenslance to listen here, Grand du glanced.
Speaker 2: Queens, I come again. Welcome to the Code NRL Show. Michael carry Onis, Brent Red fresh from watching Origin two where the Delus have been humiliated, embarrassed and after a really poor performance. Ready, what did you make of it?
Speaker 1: You summed it up, mere, It was a disgraceful performance, shocking second half. They fixed up their first half, which has been the problem for the last three games, went out put up a purele second half. I mean it was as bad as bad as I can remember. You said, well side that were bad oriedge of one in the first half. This second half was worse than that. They've actually gone backwards. That's the worry.
Speaker 2: Let's peel back a little bit, ready, like is it a surprise after the Origin? And you were rightly, I was agreen with you, but you were banging on well you was essentially only one because Calum pong I got sent off, right, and I was one of the few that agreed with you with that. Right. It was a pivotal moment in the game and that changed everything because New South Wales didn't look like winning it all that game, right, so they got off with a get out of jail free cutting game one. That wasn't forthcoming in game two and they've been absolutely smacked.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and it's interesting, right, they fixed up their first half, but if you think back to the tries are scored in their first half tonight on at the MCG, there was a touch of luck about them. It wasn't through touch. Yeah. It wasn't through brilliant management, right, or or great play. It was deflections. It was it was you know, I dropped ball of fledglers from the kickoff. It was again I used this word origin once. It was fluky, right, And that's why they led the game. They didn't lead it.
Speaker 2: Through a master momentum and things like that.
Speaker 1: They build it through two fortuitous moments. Whilst Queens and when they created things it was through good football. It was through skillful movement. It was through you know, good rugby league the Blues when they scored it was again it just just had to touch luck to it, Mick. And that's that's again that's the worry. The first half was better, but again it was better by luck, really more luck than management.
Speaker 2: I reckon, do you remember your pregame prediction.
Speaker 1: I predicted Queens and by twenty. Wow, what was the score? Four? I did say it with a bit. It was a look. I didn't really think they win by twenty. I didn't think they win so comprehensibly like they did tonight. I really didn't. I thought they'd win because I just thought they were so much better at than new knowledge and won until it's end off. And look, I was obviously made some changes, will dive in and then Mick. Some of them work, some of them, well, none of them really worked, did they. Let's be honest, Marky Mark was pretty good.
Speaker 2: He was the one guy who was pretty good.
Speaker 1: But if you look at the other changes they made, they were maybe Mitch, you could argue Mitch wasn't great. Look, none of them were great. None of the changes they have are great.
Speaker 2: Let's not look at the changes yet, let's look at the players that were Okay, So we didn't have to do the player ratings, right, but if we had to sit down and look at the player ratings, how many players, because I don't think anyone from your south I was getting seven. I haven't seen out but sixers. I think we discussed three players when you'd give a six to Mark. Now we're going to need to say cam Maray and Victor Radley, no one else.
Speaker 1: And Victor is probably pushing it to get a couple of right, but no one else and that team played where near average. They're all below average. You know. You compare the contrast out with the Queensland team. Sam Walker outstanding of the game, kp Karen Ponger outstanding, Cobbo was brilliant. Cobbo was amazing through that.
Speaker 2: I think you're missing like Harry Grant who was the second best player on the field behind Sam Walker for cam Munster. All right, so when looking at Collins was ridiculous, Klum Ponger was probably the worst player on Coinsland spine. Yeah that's saying how good Sam Walker, Harry Grant and Munster were right, and you know Ponger was good, but those other three were a lead. And Harry Grant he was toying. He was absolutely toying with that rough defense of New South Wales. He was in sublime form. But let's stick with the Blues. Yeah, the changes that were made, so Dylan Lucas was the major one for Hamoloa, which attracted not so much the inclusion of Dylan Lucas, but the mission of created, such as the Mitch Moses coming in at five eighth, and there were a couple of force changes we touched on no longer colon move into the centers. What did you make of all them?
Speaker 1: Look, I mean I was believed that Mitch Moses should have been in the team. He probably looked a little underdone, right, he hadn't played a lot of footy, and in hindsight probably that back forward the Lucas one was no question that completely back for it, dropping em only Alakuatu, right, it was one thing. Dylan Lucas had a really quiet night. I mean, I can't remember him seeing it. I know he ran maybe seven runs or something. I can't remember seeing him on the ball. Mick, you know, and look, I mean Orange, you can swallow up guys right when you make your Origin deboo. Some of the greatest players in the game's history, their first Origin games had been really tough affairs, right. They haven't walked away from those games playing well. And I think Dylan Lucas and I got swallowed up a little bit by the occasion. And I think Hamoli Andrew John said in the coverage, HAMOLEI has to come in for Origin too, that in hindsight was a complete blunder by Laurie Daly, right, complete and under blunder. And it's easy to sit here in hindsight, but it was. There's no, there's.
Speaker 2: No This is not something that was said in hindsight. This was the time. So this is not one where the Mitch moses ethan Strange. If they lost, he was going to get smashed for whichever way he went on that call, right, So that one I can forgive him on. But the Kawau We're not sitting here retrospectively saying that was a bad call. We said it's been it was a bad or a couple of days ago. So it's a no brainer. Ready White to come straight back into the side her New South Wales in game three has to start right. I don't think that's anything that comes under consideration. That one of the biggest blights on this New South Wales game, and it was the same in game one, but they got away with it was a bench rotation. It was diabolical. Okay. We saw game one with Jacob Safiiti the only big man unused in game one right Game two, Murray and Radley first two players on played good minutes and impact. The players played big minutes right and did their job. Adam Finil Blake ten minutes less than ten minutes. It came on in that second half and was on and off the field in a matter of Blincoln and I no impact. Ethan Strange onto the field as a middle forward and then eventually shifted to five eighth for Mitch Moses. So the player sat unused Happy corrosal for Happy when New south Wales were chasing points, when New south Wales were trying to get some ascendency around that ruck, when New south Wales needed a spark, sits unused with the game at that stage, the game was in the balance, right, and we saw the benefit that the Blues got in Game one when Blake Brailey came onto the field. And admittedly things changed by the time Blake came on a couple of moments later, Calen Pongo was sent off right, but Blake Brailey had an instant impact as soon as he came onto the field. So what is doing with the bench rotation?
Speaker 1: Well, I think he's look, I've been critical law he's coaching in this series and well in the past couple of series. Right, he's been. I mean he's clearly been that coached. Again, that's pretty obvious, right, I mean think that's that's an obvious thing that that shows up straight away. And I think the use of the bench rotation shows that.
Speaker 2: And so I forgot to add Mitch Barnett played the open in twenty minutes, came all with five minutes ago.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, I mean the easiest thing to do is city and pick apart Laurie's coaching, right, because it's it's it hasn't been great and I know he's a great bloke and we all love him. But last year lost the unlosable series. I actually said, Mick, and probably in hindsight I went a bit far and I said.
Speaker 2: This would be worse right if I lose this challenge.
Speaker 1: This probably isn't, This probably isn't worse than last year, but it's on the verge of being very close to it. They've got to now go to SUNCRP but try and win the decide of its Suncourt and the way they're going, I don't think they can, Mick. I just don't think that they Look you compare the two sides tonight, Queen's Hed looked like a well coached, well drilled, well led football team. The Blues look like a rabble right, let's be a complete nutter of rabble. And that was before Catani's Dagg's got well, they were they weren't even in the picture in the second half. Weren't even in the picture. So look, they're obviously going to make changes to performance like that. You've got to make changes, right, and Amali is an obvious one needs to come back in, but he's not the only one, so he can make we were talking about before the show. You can make six or seven changes.
Speaker 2: So Dylan Lucas is going to be a double digit origin player. Wine, Okay, agree with you. Doesn't play Game three on the bench. I would have him in Tame No right, Catni Stags had an absolute shoker on gets dropped right. Mitch Moses probably played himself out of the side after that. He needs to go back and play and have an opportunity at Paramatta and try and win a game on his own for Paramatta at some point because by this week but into the next week, so he looked terrible. Okay, well, Mitch Barnett, Mitch Barnett, he's a guy that's played no footy that she hadn't played since game one off the back of as and Mitch Barnett's a really good player, but off the back and so he's Mitch Moses off the back of a really disjointed start to the year. He looks underdone as well. He probably played him self out of a site. Right. So now we're sitting here and you're looking at what changes you make now all of Kawatu comes in. Cam Murray has to start the game.
Speaker 1: Well, game and Mick, we talked about Laurie's coaching, right, so many people said Cam Murray has to start this game and it wasn't us, it was football icons legends were saying Cameron Murray has to start this game. And Laurie ignored that went with what he did in game one when it didn't really work until the sendoff happened. And you report, you say, right, and the decision to ignore what everyone was saying and go your own way right with the Cam Murrays again, backfight on him.
Speaker 2: So let's start. Let's start. We should actually go position for positioning. That's how open this new South Wales side is.
Speaker 1: Off the back of Mulmost thirteen.
Speaker 2: After performances to performances, okay, heading in to Game three where they need a circuit break at to try and somehow win this series. Look, I'm keeping James to Scott.
Speaker 1: Fullback again, I agree with him, but I think it's actually open to debate, which is amazing. You know, I think you an easy amount an argument that Dylan Edward should play.
Speaker 2: Definitely could definitely you definitely could, right, But I'm keeping Teddy. The back line is huge, right, So you've got these are the players that could come into game three. You got Stephen Crichton who's been named to play for the Bulldogs this weekend.
Speaker 1: Latrell Mitchell Latrelle is a non negotiable.
Speaker 2: If he gets through eighty minutes for he has to has to get through the game, has to get through a game for South Sydney and look walks in right. Tom Travovitch back from Manley this weekend.
Speaker 1: Non negotiable has to be in the right.
Speaker 2: So who's out to Tony Staggs Obviously, unluckily Toler Kohler drops out. He wasn't he was a five out. He wasn't bad tonight. He he just didn't get much opportunity. But these guys are superior players to.
Speaker 1: It because it's even like Brian Tyres had a tough seat.
Speaker 2: Well, I'm not dropping Mark. I'm not dropping Mark's.
Speaker 1: The thing like Brian's been a mainstain that new said well side and he's never letting you said I'm down. But here's two games in this series. He just hasn't been Brian Tye.
Speaker 2: So what are we doing then? So we've got Latrell at one center. We've got I'm keeping marketing learning to us on the wing. Case of McLean's still injured so he's not going to be in the mix.
Speaker 1: I'd probably go right in the other center, Tommy potentially on the wing. Maybe even pick Tommy at fullback if he comes back and plays well.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't do that, Okay, I wouldn't do that.
Speaker 1: I'd have him in the side though. Something.
Speaker 2: I would have him in the side if he gets back to playing some good football.
Speaker 1: Look for me. Latrell and Tommy, right, they if they're fit and they get through a couple of games, a game or two, they have to be in the side because they're the sort of players who will go to sun Cubs Stadium. It won't intimidate them. It won't worry them. They're they're guys who on the big stage, on the big occasion, that's when they are at their best. And you know what those black would love to mate. Can you imagine Tommy how much he would love to pull on news wast Jersey.
Speaker 2: So basically, so basically, you're not sure on Teddy the only one were I Doe'm kept picking Teddy. Anyone we're sure of is the debutante? No one I need to ask playing on the wing, were probably getting rid of tall stags and color, okay, just a few changes fight Well.
Speaker 1: I think Mitch look Mitch looked under undernight. So I think it probably depends how Mitch goes in club forty the next week or two. He's got he's got to go well in.
Speaker 2: Club footy and he gets one game well.
Speaker 1: Ethan strange putting all sorts of pressure.
Speaker 2: On all sorts of strange starts for mine five eighth with Nathan Cleary, he wasn't good to know.
Speaker 1: I'm not going to drop. I'm not dropping Nathan, but let's be honest. He had a really poor.
Speaker 2: Night, paying half prop pay so long they were like they were all bad. But we've got to pick some players.
Speaker 1: All right, So no, I'm not saying cluarly should we dropped k Payne's obviously the question who's.
Speaker 2: His front row partner? Are you picking a or you're dropping his.
Speaker 1: The mo I'd move out of the front row, okay, Rather than dropping I'd probably move into the front right.
Speaker 2: Ye, I'm comfortable with that back row of well, the hookers Reece Robson. Okay, hookers ree Robson. Because and Blake Brailey is on the bench. If Breake Browley was fit, I don't know. He's this He's like the bloke doesn't sweat, right, so he's the fittest human in the world. Okay, But if he gets a game back, he's a guy that I would pick even if he doesn't have a game between now and Origin three on the bench. If he gets a game back, I would be tempted to start in wow, but I'd probably stick with Robson and Bradley on the bench. You got, so what's the rest of your bench? Bradley and Bradley locked in as your bench players? Yep, I think Coler becomes you know, Cola. I keep Coler as my bench my bench back.
Speaker 1: Would you if you're bringing Hamoli in. Are you keeping Hudson Young in the back row with him, or are you bringing Liam Well.
Speaker 2: Liam Mardin is the one. Liam Mardin is the I'm keeping Hudson Young. Liam Marder is the player I'm tempted with to play on the bench because he's a guy who's played a little bit of middle in the NRAL as well, but he's more suited to an edge. But he's a bit of a lunatic.
Speaker 1: He's another guy, you know what, going to sun Globe Stadium, he'd love it.
Speaker 2: No, he's a bit of a lunatic and they're gonna need They're gonna need some madness in South Wales to try and win this game.
Speaker 1: Right.
Speaker 2: So look, he's like, we're picking players and this is, you know, fresh off We've just watched this game, right, So this is fresh off a lot of these players we're talking about, there's no guarantee where their fitness levels are going to get out. Okay, So but if Liam Martin gets through, I'm picking him on the bench for New South Wales. I'm picking Jacob Saffiti. I liked him for Game one. I do think he should have played Game one. He's come back and he's played really good for Newcastle, so I'm keeping I'm putting Jacobs Saffiti in the side. Adam Finle Blake's touching go for me.
Speaker 1: I don't think he's there, Nicky. I don't think he's there. Look, I mean you said he's got no time tonight. They obviously don't faith in him, so you know, I don't think he's there for me. You know, So how many changes that.
Speaker 2: Just tell all the blocks that we've kept in. You just speared the whole.
Speaker 1: That's how bad it was.
Speaker 2: But that's how bad.
Speaker 1: That's how bad they That's how.
Speaker 2: Bad it's been. Let's not discount game one. Okay, let's not discount on game on.
Speaker 1: Serious should be over it should be over right, So lucky they're going to game three?
Speaker 2: So what's that? What's what's the new South Wales bench were going with that? We lost track of all the players off the top of our head. So we got Braley by Martin. Ye, all right, that's three.
Speaker 1: Are you moving Barnett back to the bench or you're dropping.
Speaker 2: Him Jacob Sefiti. So I've got Seffiti ahead of Barnett and and phanil Blake at the moment. Okay, so then you could need a half, right, do you keep Mitch on the.
Speaker 1: Bench having Burton on the bench, you know, I think Mitch start well.
Speaker 2: No, no, Mitch is well Mitch. No, No, I will keep Mitch on the bench because he's he's your five six on the bench, right, So you're only playing him if there's an emergency. You're not bringing him on. You're playing the whole Ethan Strange thing this week. Don't get me started on that, right, Ethan Stranger out standing in Origin one. Thank you, Ethan. You played really well. Unfortunately we've gone for Mitch, which means you're going to have to sit this one out unless there's an injury.
Speaker 1: That was complete.
Speaker 2: Was playing and they put him in in the middle. Like I know that he played well. I know that he's a good player. Unfortunately, sometimes good players, hello Dylan Edwards misses out on teams. Yeah, okay, so just park him, right, But I would have I would have Mitch on my bench in case. But he's only coming on if Nathan or Ethan go down, and then we still we need to by Jackson Ford.
Speaker 1: Okay, well yeah, fair enough. Just it's another new face, that's all right.
Speaker 2: Well, he's really the only Ye he's the only debutante that I picked. He'd be the only debutar. It's mass changes again, we're probably missing someone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it just shows how what you know what, they've got a massive bridge to climb, mountain to climb right now because they've been really poor in two games. They got flogged. They got flogged in Melbourne and they're going to sun Corp. That John's gonna be sold out. It's gonna be rocking. I'll tell you what if they win this, if they managed to win it, it's going to.
Speaker 2: Be one of the great And then a couple of years ago under Michael Maguire.
Speaker 1: Different coach, everything's different if they if they pull it off, it's going to be one of the great wins because they've been so poor in this series.
Speaker 2: Queensland Reelsh unused.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he almost came on. He had phones.
Speaker 2: That was cool. Old school was gone back into back in the ninety five when them but what are you? Tom didon far out?
Speaker 1: Look before this game, I was a believer that Tom didn't fit. You bring him in right because I just think he is such a good footballer. Rainning Wally Lewis medallist and Tommy is a walk up start for Queensland right when he's fit. But man, Sammy Walker was so good and there's been so good in these two games. I don't think you can change it. I think you bring back tom didn't. I think he comes back on the bench.
Speaker 2: Yeah, is a solution, though, so are you dropping Reese? Reese? And didon? Because then because the issue the talk around Reese for game one was well they needed chip Asarki and this time they went with Tolangi just in case, right, So what's I agree with? You? Did? It? Now becomes the Ezra man.
Speaker 1: And because Tommy has come on and played original off the bench and played a bit of hooker.
Speaker 2: And that's that's, that's.
Speaker 1: You know what. I probably I probably keep. Yeah, I probably keep. He'll get some more footy under his belt. And I think again, here's that break break glass in case of emergency, got right, If you need to chase points, so he's struggling in the game.
Speaker 2: You bring I still would have put him on, Still would have put him on when Queen's were in.
Speaker 1: Front, made everyone got when he put the headphones. This was before went down and the camera came on. In the crowd just you could hear the stadium got a little bit excited because he's a rock star. Right, so I probably have did and rec on the bench, And aside from that, I'm not sure do anything else with the Queens inside. I'm trying, I'm trying to think of else.
Speaker 2: Would would you touch it?
Speaker 1: I'm trying to think he missed out this time through injury. I can't even remember.
Speaker 2: I think it remains untouched and it will be the only and Reese Walsh and we're talking about bench plays. Yeah, so potentially an unchanged Queensland side and record changes.
Speaker 1: Wonder, wonder that we should have done some research research.
Speaker 2: We just finished a game three seconds ago.
Speaker 1: One of the record number of changes.
Speaker 2: We can look it up because we have just decided to.
Speaker 1: What, you know, drop everyone this game. I mean we've spoken about you know, I was ready to change the coach at halftime in Origin one, right and tonight you have to look at the way they played just as well and say, you know, obviously trav Travy Main there was a story done before this game about Laurie Laurie struggling to lift this side and follow them up, right, and Travis may cook a lot of flak for that story. But when I look at this game tonight, what I see is I said this, and I think some people said it in the lead up to this game. I can't remember who it was said, you know, they need to play for the coach now that this performance is for Lorrie. They needed to show Lorie that they've got faith him. I can't remember who said it was.
Speaker 2: Somebody I did start, well, well, isn't that But isn't that?
Speaker 1: No, No, it was about you need to play well for the coach.
Speaker 2: Generally those things happen at the starter games.
Speaker 1: Okay. What I saw was, as I said, the truth, two tries are scored, Mick were very for I'm just there's if we've if we've seen the card to arms for Lorrie and we've and we've seen that response, that response, and TRAVI man cook a lot of flak for that story. You know. I think you turn around now and you go, maybe Travy was right, Maybe that story had some legs to it. Now, maybe that story was more hitting the ball people the credit.
Speaker 2: The proof is in the results, yep. That New South Wales has been poor though poor last year, and they're on the brink of another series loss when they head to sun Corpse Stadium to to do something that's so rarely done. When they decided but as I said they did a couple of years ago, I did, I did a tip them this today. I didn't tip them. I didn't tip New South Wales today. That's not because I wanted Queensland to win. I thought Queensland were going to win, and I think Queenslan will win the decider. I just I was left so unimpressed by Game one. I was so unimpressed by what they dished out in Game one that I had no faith that that side could come out in Game two against the Queensland side who should have won Game one, and I didn't think. I do not think Queensland are twenty you tipped them. I don't think Queensland are twenty point better side than New South.
Speaker 1: Wales thirty better. I think that was like to get within twenty.
Speaker 2: They were, they were, but I don't think they are no right because so what's that a reflection of mick players, coaches, selections, bench rotation.
Speaker 1: You're fielthy with the bench rotation.
Speaker 2: Oh I would love I would seriously love to sit down like this, no lights on, no cameras, and someone run that through me to me because I just don't see it. I don't see how. I don't see how they get through this game and they're starting plays twenty minutes not to see in the last five minutes the only other big middle plays ten minutes comes off. They play a five eighth in the middle of the field and they're attacking spark hooker. Yeah, chilling back, relaxing, feed up a game big.
Speaker 1: I mean you're talking about an issue that is a coaching issue.
Speaker 2: That is that's a coaching issue. Yeah, that that's a b and percent of coaching issue. There's that's not the players, that's coaching. So what I'm Brent bounce in, Well, the.
Speaker 1: Series should be over. That's the that from me as a queen's lander. That's disimportant, disappointing thing this series.
Speaker 2: Well, o god, it's not because we get to watch the sider, we get to pick apart sides, we get to pull apart teams.
Speaker 1: A couple more basically sacked. Remember the New Well side. I've never normal it's me creating the carnage right and giving it to the Blues. But you've basically sacked every play on that side, I'll tell you what. And the thing about that is, Mick Teddy, the idea of Tommy and Latrell coming back into that side as a queen's lander.
Speaker 2: That scares the hell Tommy Latrell, Yeah, Tommy and.
Speaker 1: Latrol particularly for me, that scares that really. And Steve Crochton in there as well, if he's that's such a mate. That's that team is so big, like physically powerful.
Speaker 2: That is an imposing, powerful side that can man handle the opposite issue. And there's no bullies in New South Wales at the moment, and they need to bully their way to victory in Game of three if they're going to be any chance. Like I do to you sometimes on this podcast, really, what can you get for nineteen bucks these days?
Speaker 1: Why can you get about four coffees? Although I know you're like a sword, so probably only three for you, Mick, because they charge a bit more for the fancy stuff.
Speaker 2: Now it is well, right now for twelve months, you can get twelve months of Code Sports for nineteen dollars. That's exclusive analysis, breaking news, deeper club dives and coverage across the NRL, the AFL, Cricket Netple and more plus.
Speaker 1: Super Coach plus you know what else you get, Mick, You get you and me. That's a special bonus for that nineteen dollars for twelve months. But getting quick because the deal ends on June thirty, my birthday. Oh I get you some cripture of your birthday. Just go to code sports dot com dot au to subscribe.
Speaker 2: Z