Speaker 1: Trigger on ing.
Speaker 2: Some listeners may find this podcast distressing. This is a real story about a real person that is still unfolding in real time, and any leads or information from anybody out there may help the family either find the answers or the closure they're desperately searching for. Welcome back to the Disappearance of Katie Walker. A podcast series they never thought I'd be making. I wish I wasn't making, but is already proving to be crucial in finding answers. And that's thanks to you listening right now and everyone following along, sharing the post and starting conversations out there about Katie and asking what happened to this woman. The only chance that cases like this have, where the mainstream media ignored them and the police don't want to dig deeper on for reasons I will get to in this episode, the only chance they have to find justice or and it comes from a community like this getting behind it. And in the last few days since my content started rolling out on Sunday and Australia slowly started to become aware of this sad story, several people have now come forward with bits of information that overall means that we I say we because I'm the middle person between these people and the family and the investigator, we can start to piece together some of the mystery surrounding Katie's final weeks in Sydney. And before I get into the main points of today's episode, which is I'm not gonna lie, quite disturbing to listen to and quite eerie and scary if I'm being honest, I just want to remind you that this is still an active investigation, so there's only so much I can say publicly on certain things. But one thing to know about Katie as this unfolds is her life was not conventional like most of ours, which are often defined by days that could be described as mundane. You know, We've got office hours that we build our routines around. We've got identical commutes we repeat daily, often at the same time, alongside the same faces, and we all have groups of friends who all know pretty much everything about each other. As most of our lives have spent years becoming intertwined with those around us, which is something most of us welcome if we're being honest, And you know, the odd bits of spontaneity can give us a dopamine spike and he's great, yes, But ultimately aren't we all creatures of habit and with those habits we build our own little communities around us that become so close that if you were to vanish tomorrow, if I was to vanish tomorrow, there'd be endless people who'd notice within hours, and those people could retrace my steps without the need of CCTV or the police, because again, for most of our lives are predictable in the best possible way. Yet for Katie, hers wasn't and she didn't have those people around her. And since returning to Sydney from America in February, a decision Katie made to be closer to her two teenage children who live here with their father, who Katie divorced from nine years ago, Katie's brother, and family, they have struggled to piece together her final months and weeks and days, because again, she didn't have that close circle of people here who were part of her day to day, because she was still establishing her day to day and slowly rebuilding that life here that she left a long long time ago for reasons that don't need to be made public, just out of respect. Back to today's podcast and the point of this, although Katie didn't have that close knit group of friends around her or her tribe as she often refer to her friend group in America as thanks to her story becoming public this week and you guys backing it and getting out there, we now know that she had the lovely lady that she met on a walk at the start of May in ba and became close to in those final weeks. And we also know there's the waitress who got to know her quite well in the cafe that.
Speaker 1: Nobody knew she even liked to visit.
Speaker 2: And then there's the neighbors that she'd started having little chats with near her unit in Darling Point. And this week, there's just so many people who have briefly crossed paths with Katie since she returned to Sydney who have now seen the content and are aware that she is missing, they have reached out, and when you're compiling all the little bits of information they're sharing from their various chats and interactions with Katie, alongside the things Katie had been telling her two closest friends back in America, Justine and Elizabeth, who you will hear from in this episode like it is helping massively, and the more scraps of information the continued public exposure brings to the surface.
Speaker 1: The more Katie's.
Speaker 2: Father and brother, the two family members who flew from the UK to Sydney the second they heard she'd gone missing, and are now spending thousands to fund their private investigation on the more they are becoming convinced that Katie just did not take her own life, which brings us to the main point of today's episode. In the last episode of this podcast, I retraced Katie's steps and questioned how the police can believe that Katie genuinely walked into the water in broad daylight and ended her life, something that every single person following this has also questioned too, Me and you guys listening, and Katie's family and friends. We've all then questioned, will if she didn't turn off the street towards the coastal track, then she either went into one of those houses in the CCTV dead zone on that street, or she went into a vehicle.
Speaker 1: And they're two far more plausible.
Speaker 2: Scenarios than she went into the water, given the time of day and what she was wearing. Or as I questioned at the end of the last podcast. If Katie did do one of these things, but it wasn't of her own choice and she was perhaps again it sounds insensitive, but dragged into a vehicle or a property than who possibly could be targeting her?
Speaker 1: Why Katie? Why there?
Speaker 2: And as we've explored this at this point in time, as I'm recording this today, one person comes to mind of all of those loved ones of Katie's who are now urging me to keep sharing all of this publicly because it is slowly bringing answers.
Speaker 1: Enter the Man from Dubai.
Speaker 2: Earlier this year, in February, as Katie left America for Australia, she stopped off in to buy briefly.
Speaker 1: On a work trip.
Speaker 2: Katie was hoping to relaunch her jewelry brand Dream of Maya in the Middle East, a brand which Katie says embodies her near two decades of expertise in finite jewelry design and combines artistry with deep spiritual symbolism. One night, though, while in Dubai, as Katie was tucked up in bed in her hotel suite, she was woken up by the sound of someone breaking in.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if you heard about this but this guy in Dubai got a key to her room by posing as her husband to the concierge, and so just goes into her room late at night in Ah and this was like, gosh, it has to have been a few months ago because she was in Dubai for some time. But it really freaked her out, and she said, Elizabeth, you know, I just feel unsafe, you know, I'm just I'm sleeping and these these guys come in and to my room drinking drunk, and she had to you know, try to get him, just got him out, you know. But she was really pissed off with the you know, the front desk. You know, how dare they give this you know, person a key.
Speaker 2: Katie didn't just describe that terrifying incident to her friend Elizabeth, who you just had me speaking to, but she also offered a little bit more context as to who the mom was because he wasn't a complete stranger.
Speaker 3: You know, she'd met him in a club or but there was no relationship or any you know thing between them. But you know, so I don't know, I don't remember her saying any details, you know, what he looked like. And she goes, you know, but she said, you know, there was no you know, attraction there or anything.
Speaker 2: According to Elizabeth, Katie had met that man out earlier in the evening, and reading between the lines a little, it sounds like Katie could have rejected his advances after finding out about that incident. My first question, did Katie report this to the authorities? And although some of the people I've spoken to about this suggest she didn't necessarily want the bother of an incident involving foreign police in a country she was only briefly stopping in, one friend did suggest that the hotel may have provided her a complimentary stay and waived the bill of her stay if she didn't do that or report the work as dangerous negligence as he so carelessly handed someone a key to her room for the rest of katie stay in Dubai. Then there was nothing more with this man, no more incident. And then she did make it to Australia, as we know. But this isn't where the story with the man from Dubai ends, because this wasn't the last time Katie was to see him.
Speaker 3: He showed up in Sydney, and it's like, what is the chances of that, Like a freaking encounter that you know, nothing happened except that you know, she was a sound sleep and you know, in her bed. But you know, both me and Justine was like, what's the chances of this dude showing up in Sydney jumping into it?
Speaker 2: Huh? How do you guys know he came to Sydney.
Speaker 3: Because she told us, she said, she goes, I can't fucking believe it. You know, that guy that was in my room, that came in my room, he's in you know, I bumped into him on the beach in Sydney. She's was with the fucking chances of that, you know, she was like, what the hell?
Speaker 1: You know, going solely off what Katie told Elizabeth about the incident in Sydney.
Speaker 2: The man didn't appear to be following her, harassing her, acting suspicious, opposing as a threat during that moment where that's crossed. But the sheer coincidence of it, if that's what it even was, did leave Katie quite shaken.
Speaker 3: And so he partly said he was. She said he was really apologetic, but she said, I was still, you know, freaking freaked out about it. And he's she said, he's you know it's weird though, it's just although she told me she said, it's just weird again.
Speaker 2: As far as I'm aware at the time of recording this, this was all several weeks before Katie went missing, and in those final weeks she never mentioned to her friends that she bumped into the man from Dubai again. But when it did become known that Katie was missing, this mine is, of course the first person who came to the mind of Katie's friends. The issue is though nobody knows a single thing about him other than his ethnicity. They don't know his name, his age is high, even his nationality. Was he from Australia and just visiting Dubai the same time Katie was, or was he from to Buy and he was then visiting Australia. Katie's friends also have no idea what hotel she was staying at Dubuy, what date this incident occurred on, or anything that could help.
Speaker 3: She never formed a formal complaint, you know, to the police. I guess that's why they said they can't have any information. But the authorities know about it, but they're like, well, you know, they don't have the investigators don't have their name, his name. I said, well, surely they'll have pictures of the event, you know, like you know, people coming and going into a hotel on that particular day. They've got to have, you know, the one that gave them the key. You know. It is like they have to have some kind of way of being able to, you know, find who the hellless person is.
Speaker 2: But one thing I do know right now is that New South Wales Police they have been made aware of this person by Katie's friends, her father and her brother. Katie's father and brother even think they may have figured out the hotel and date, and they have made all of this information now from the UK where they.
Speaker 1: Are, to New South Wales Police.
Speaker 2: And in response to this, the police have done nothing because at the time of recording this, over the week they've had this information, they haven't replied because as far as we're all concerned, in the eyes of New South Wales Police, this case is as good as closed to them. Katie ended her life and chose to do that, and also to them, why bother allocating resources to try and prove otherwise. And the reason New South Wales Police seems so set on this theory that Katie did end her life, despite there still being no proof of this and their water theory just seeming impossible is because of what they discovered in Katie's apartment after she was reported missing. Trigger Wing again now, because the next part of this podcast is going to get a little dark. Please know everything you're about to hear is being shared with permission of Katie's father and brother, who at the police's point of contact in this investigation, despite their now being a noticeable lack of any contact from the police. So once Katie's disappearance was made known the police, as they broke into her apartment in Darling Bay, they found what they believe and notes left behind to her children and a friend, and they believe those notes are proof that Katie ended her life. But to those who know Katie best, you know the family she's had her entire life, and the two close friends in America who've been the closest people to her over the last five years, they've also read these notes and they do not think the same.
Speaker 4: The letter that I had seen, you know, it was you couldn't even read it, not because her cursive, but because the words didn't make sense and many of the words were misspelled. He was very articulate, she had impeccable grammar, she spoke very well, she wrote well when she communicated via text message, so it's incongruent with her traditional behavior.
Speaker 2: And before I go into this, I do acknowledge how bleak this is. But everything you're about to hear it is so vital. Katie's brother, again, who has asked I share this publicly. He tells me that amongst Katie's belongings that were left in a unit, there was a journal with some bits of paper tucked into it and next to it which were basically all full of ramblings and thoughts and messages to herself and other people throughout her life. And he has read everything on what the police believe are suicide notes. He says they are ambiguous at best, and they do not feel authentically Katie. And he says in those messages, which were so illegible that they had to use AI to decipher, there was nothing in them in his mind that would indicate Katie wanted to take her own life, as she never specifically said goodbye.
Speaker 1: He says they.
Speaker 2: Were more in the reflections, which did have some sadness and regret, but again he does not feel these notes and messages at the end of this journal were authentically Katie, which is something that her close friend Justine back in America, upon being sent pictures of these notes, agrees with.
Speaker 4: Well the interpretation that was provided. The translation is, you know in such a way that if you look at the words that are actually written, it's in gibberish. And so I feel that it's difficult to you know, these pieces of evidence are difficult discern, but when it comes down to it, there's truthfully no evidence that she ended her life, and that's I think the most pressing thing. Regardless of the presence of these letters, which are very difficult to read.
Speaker 2: In Katie's earlier journal entries, which are a lot more legible, the brother says that she talked about many personal things. They were all future orientated of future plans, business ideas, things she wanted to do and achieve, instead of what the police think were signs she wanted to.
Speaker 1: End her life.
Speaker 2: Those questionable notes and the suspicion with the man from Dubai aren't the only reason that Katie's loved ones do not believe that she took her own life. As you heard in previous episodes of this podcast, her friends explained how the woman they knew had the opposite mentality and Katie she was a fighter, and she was someone always looking forwards not backwards, as she was now building a new life.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think for Katie, she was definitely had a big transition in her life. And with that, you know, it could be an ungroundedness or an uncertainty. We often, you know, all experience those seasons. I feel like, you know, she relocated to Sydney because she wanted to be closer to her children, and to be honest with you, in my time that I've been close friends with her her, it had never once crossed my mind that she would be somebody that would choose to in her own life just based off of her character, her just her personality. It not once crossed my mind, even in the last several months.
Speaker 1: The buffling thing, like it feels she's looking.
Speaker 2: Forward in life rather than feeling like, you know, there's no options anymore.
Speaker 4: Well, and from a logical standpoint too, she there was solutions in place, you know, And so I have felt that the behavior and the communication in that narrow end of time from her last sighting just didn't really add up. Despite the other evidence that was available.
Speaker 2: And one of the ways she was doing that, Elizabeth and just beIN tell me was by having them sell some of the jeweys she'd left with them in an America so she could use the money to get back on her feet a little bit more until she had some more consistent work coming through.
Speaker 3: It's just hard to believe, and I I just have a hard time believing that she killed herself. I don't know my first instinct that something happened to her.
Speaker 2: The last communication Justine and Elizabeth did have with Katie before her disappearance was then finalizing her bank details where they could send the money to money that Katie was relying on to help get her back on her feet so she could continue building this new life in Sydney, so she could be around for her children, who were the driving force in everything all of this. Katie's returned to Australia, it was to be there for them.
Speaker 4: If somebody less than twenty four hours prior is completing a bank transaction that could be potential relief for some circumstance, then that oftentimes to me, if somebody was truly suicidal, had a plan and was ready to act upon it, I think they would care too much about these for the.
Speaker 3: Listings that was on the twenty first of May that we text and she disappeared twenty third. You know, what's the likelihood of somebody wanting to kill themselves if they're waiting for the large sum of money, for a decent amount of money to come.
Speaker 2: One of the most asked questions this week I've seen is why I note mainstream media covering Katie's story still, And I now believe it's because of these notes.
Speaker 1: To the police.
Speaker 2: In their eyes, they've got a woman reported missing, a woman they've now realized was quite lost and a little sad at this point of her life as she was rebuilding things in Sydney and she didn't have a big support network here. And they've then discovered what they think as suicide notes, and they've then tracked her with CCTV to a block away from water. You put those things together and yeah, it's easy to make an assumption what may have happened next. And in my opinion and the opinion of Katie's friends and family, they feel that in the eyes of the police, again it's already case closed. But two Katie's father and brother, two men who have known Katie all of her life, and to Justine and Elizabeth, two of Katie's closest friends in recent years who she was still chatting with twenty four hours prior to her disappearance. None of them believe those notes were suicide notes, and they also question did Katie even write them. But the problem is these people wanting answers. They're in the UK and America and they aren't here, which is why they're asking me to keep sharing this right now and to keep the public commentary going so hopefully the police stop ignoring them and the police stop thinking they know what happened because they don't. Until the proof of that, this should still be treated as an open investigation. And the police may say it is an open investigation, but what do you investating? Even I emailed the detective and had no reply. I emailed police media for an update, and their job is to inform the media.
Speaker 1: I had no reply.
Speaker 2: And another initial theory that Katie's family tell when the police had was that Katie likely went to the Gap, which, for those who don't know Sydney's eastern suburbs is a prolific stretch of cliff top that has claimed so many lives before from people jumping off, and it is dubbed Australia's most famous suicide spot. But that entire stretch of cliffs is fenced and it's lined with endless CCTV cameras that have a live feed to the emergency services which the police know. And then further up the coast just next to that where the camera stop, it's still also fenced with houses overlooking that and these coastal tracks there running alongside the cliff top and and in broad daylight. Remember Katie went missing on a Saturday. It's just so highly unlikely that anyone can do something there without it being noticed almost instantly. And one of the reasons I'm told the police did initially suspect she may have gone to the gap when she was reported missing was because as they started tracking her final movements from leaving the apartment for the last time on CCTV, they did have footage of her leaving a cafe in Double Bay and she was pacing on the street near a bus stop and one of the buses from that stop. The final destination on that route is Watson's Bay, where the gap is. But there's also twenty other stops that that bus, if Katie even got on, it would stop at before it got to the final destination in Watson's Bay, at the gap where it then turns around, and jumping to the conclusion that hey, we've got footage of Katie pacing around near the bus stop in Double Bay and that bus goes to the gap. That just feels like convenient and lazy policing if I'm being honest, as is the fact that the police are just ignoring Katie's family about the man from Dubai. And yes, we all know the police are understaffed and under resource, but but to just ignore the desperation from Katie's friends and family, you know, the people that knew her best, and the people that keep saying she was not suicidal because you think you have a more compelling theory. It's just as I said, it's lazy, and it's sad, and it's frustrating.
Speaker 1: And that's why I'm going with this.
Speaker 2: That's why Katie's family want me to keep going with this, and they want you guys to keep listening, sharing and commenting, because the more pressure that comes from the public, the more the police have to take notice and stop thinking they know what happened because they don't and nobody does.