Speaker 1: I got a you Bloody Champions. Welcome to another installment the You Projector's harps. Who else would it be. It's a it's a bloody Wednesday. It's twelve thirty five and the thriving tropolis of Melbourne, and I'm chatting with one of my best friend in the world, Rip Dicko, who's not with us anymore. Love that man, Still love that man. I also love his brother, who is I'm going to be honest, not quite as good as Dicko was, but he's about ninety five percent.
Speaker 2: And that's okay. I mean because he was a gun.
Speaker 1: That's so mate, you been ninety five percent of as good as your brother.
Speaker 2: That's all right, isn't it.
Speaker 3: I'd take ninety five percent, I'd take eighty percent.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Great to be here and go on.
Speaker 4: I love I love speaking with you, and I'm very grateful that you got me on again.
Speaker 3: I love having chats with you.
Speaker 2: Yeah, me too, mate, I love it. And I'm being silly. Of course.
Speaker 1: You're one hundred percent Pete Dixon, and you're a ripper in your own right. Your brother was a beauty and you know, but it's good to catch up with you again, mate, and what do you I know, you've just put out a book.
Speaker 2: We're going to talk about that.
Speaker 1: But it's been a while since you've been on here, and so for those who've been living under rock, dick O is a director, an award winning filmmaker, and now a two time author, one fiction, one not real life will call the other one. I don't know what we call it faction, But other than writing a new book, what have you been up to for the.
Speaker 2: Last few years?
Speaker 4: Yeah, So I finished that book with about Rob he was my brother, and then sort of went into a what happens is I sort of in between projects. It's a tumultuous time for me, really, because there's a few things that happened. A I come down from a high after being creatively active for so long, and then then I get into the anxious part of it or what's next?
Speaker 3: And you know this game is you're really up.
Speaker 4: And down all the time, and you're hoping that you can fund the next project.
Speaker 3: You're hoping you have something that you passionately can work on.
Speaker 4: So it's been a bit lean in the documentary space for independence such as myself. Over the last few years, it's getting worse it's just getting really hard to fund documentaries in the sporting space. That the networks used to pay, they don't pay anymore. So I in between these books, I had a good project, a Carlton project, which was half funded by Carlton, half funded independently, and so I had a great chance to do a documentary on.
Speaker 3: That that was released this year, and that was on Fox. And in between they went really well. Yeah, yeah, it was great.
Speaker 4: It was about the nineteen seventy It was a sort of a homage to the past, the nineteen seventy Grand Final team, and I managed to speak to both Carlton and Collingwood, most of the players before, I mean the getting old, so it was a good chance to grab it.
Speaker 2: Did you talk to Jesus still alive?
Speaker 4: Jess is still alive, but he is not in great shape. So I used archival stuff for Jezza. I mean, there's a few of them that are really battling, so you had to sort of be very choosy with that. But so that came out. But in between, what's happened since I wrote that book. He was my brother. I really enjoyed that process. I remember talking to her last time. I really it's sort of filled to the void for me in the storytelling sense without documentaries, and.
Speaker 3: So I thought, I think I might try fiction.
Speaker 4: I was asked to write fiction and by one of my mentors, and I thought, I don't think I've got the words for fiction. I think it's and it's a really difficult thing to do. And anyway, I had an idea that's been in my head for a while, and I went ahead and had a crack and I remember the first few chapters. I thought I was flying. I thought this is the greatest piece of work. And I remember sending it to one of.
Speaker 3: Those mentors and the reaction was.
Speaker 4: What is this shit? So really, yeah, it put me straight back.
Speaker 3: In my box.
Speaker 4: But it was more about, you know, the writing was good. They liked the writing. It's just that there was no story to the first few chapters, which I sort of it was a good punch in the face straight up. So I changed attack on the whole thing and I went back to the drawing board, and a thousand edits later, I had a manuscript, and to my shock, it got picked up by a US publisher.
Speaker 1: So, and as somebody who's I've been published by a few publishers like Jeff'slattery Publishing.
Speaker 2: You would know him. In fact, your brother, your brother introduced me, God bless him.
Speaker 1: He introduced me to jeff'slater AKAIFL Publishing and Penguin I published with, And so I understand. Then I'm self published. I understand the journey and the process. And when I spoke to you the other day briefly and you told me that it got picked up by us published, I'm like, how the fuck did you do that?
Speaker 2: Dude?
Speaker 1: Like that is so for a first time fiction? Like to them, you're with respect like me, You're a nobody to them.
Speaker 4: Oh, absolute blank, yep, you're a literary nobody in America, just like me. Well you, I mean not to me, mate, it's special, but to them. So for them to actually pick it up that you must have been.
Speaker 1: Quite I mean, firstly, it was amazing and you deserve it and well done.
Speaker 2: But it's very rare that that happens.
Speaker 3: It's so rare.
Speaker 4: And I mean because I'm not a well known writer by any means. I mean in a documentary space, yes, but in writing, I don't have an agent as a writer, and an agent is bloody. I mean, the stats on that are one in six thousand. It's ridiculously difficult to get an agent. So I couldn't send the manuscript to the big publishers here in Australia because they just don't look at it unless your agent.
Speaker 3: You have an agent.
Speaker 4: I sent the manuscript off to a few of the local independent publishers indie publishers in Australia and got some rejections. You just know you're going to get rejected in this book game. So that was fine. Gold fiction not really their genre. So for some didn't get past the first chapter blah blah blah. So I started to target US and UK publishers.
Speaker 3: And I got one.
Speaker 4: I sent one and I remember looking at it initially thinking they're not going to accept this because the big in big red writing splashed across the portal page was we only accept US authors, so I thought.
Speaker 3: And I was in that stage where I'm just going to send it to everyone.
Speaker 4: So I sent it off lo and behold, a couple of weeks after that and I'm still, to be honest, I sent this manuscript off I don't know, six months ago to it to various places. I'm still getting responses that they haven't read it yet so.
Speaker 3: It takes forever. It's glacier speed, this sort of stuff. So I'd be whole.
Speaker 4: We horrified if an Australian one comes back soon and says they would take it. But anyway, because I've signed off for three years.
Speaker 3: But anyway, they came back and said, look, we have read the first few chapters.
Speaker 4: And we want to keep reading. So to us that means we're interested. We will get back to you. And I was shocked because I realized that that was this place that so then you're sort of on tenderhooks, just waiting and waiting. And anyway, about two three weeks later they came just seep because it was all email. They came back and said, we would like to publish your book simply.
Speaker 3: That was simply the line.
Speaker 4: And I to be honest, I cried to be honest. And because I'm an emotional unit, I don't blame you. Yeah, I'm emotional. And this was one of those ones where I never really thought I was actually prepared next year great to sort of go, look, I'll even.
Speaker 3: Do it myself if I have to, just just to get the story out there.
Speaker 4: But so the next phase of that was you have to sign over for three years and they look after everything else. They are a massive publisher in the States. In terms of their online presence, I don't care either. I'm just happy that someone's taken it. And what they're telling me is that online is the only way to go. Their bookstores are dying off in America apparently, so everything they do is pushed hard online around the world, and they have around the world access and for printing, so if people go into a bookstore here, they won't be on the shelf, but they just have to asked for the title and it'll be there the next day because they have distribution centers in Australia, funnily enough in Danielong, which is in Victoria. So they sent me a bunch which I'm actually selling through my website, which is quicker.
Speaker 3: For people and cheaper. But yeah, it.
Speaker 4: Was amazing and I'm forever grateful to them, and they have been nothing but supportive and warm.
Speaker 3: They're always there. I mean, I'm just amazed.
Speaker 4: At the relationship that they offer, and to be honest, it's not a big money spit turning thing the book market, and just the fact they're doing this and they believe in the book astounds me, but there was another reason to it. There is a bit of an American flavor to it. It is about the masters, it is about playing golf for a green Master's jacket, so it's a hat tip to the masters, and I think I think that was something that attracted them.
Speaker 3: I like to.
Speaker 4: Think that they like the writing, but I think that was something that was a bit unusual.
Speaker 3: And then I found out that I was only one of two authors in Australia they have.
Speaker 1: So I was and I heard you on SCN and you don't know who the other one is.
Speaker 4: Right, No, I don't know who the other one is. And it was funny the guys were saying a bit flat that you're not the only one. I don't know who the other one is and I don't know the book. But yeah, I just think for them to do that, they I'm forever grateful.
Speaker 3: And so three years and yeah they have it. They have the rights to it for three years. So now it's it's kind of it's funny. It's sort of there's this.
Speaker 4: Big hype around right now it's released and you get a little excited, but then a couple of weeks time, as you know, with these things.
Speaker 3: It's all done. It's all done.
Speaker 1: What's interesting what I love about like when I signed with, you know, both the different publishers I signed with. What I love is it's like it dawns on you that it's in their interest to sell lots of books.
Speaker 3: Yeah, do you know what I mean?
Speaker 1: Like they are highly motivated to sell your book and so all the shit that you don't want to do, Like I mean, and I know you're something of an introvert, and I know how much you love pr and talking publicly, right, so I guess they've kind of, you know, charged you with doing exactly what you're doing now, which is talking to various forms of media about the book, which you're very good at. But what is great is in terms of building a network and getting it into stores or getting it into hands whatever formatic comes in, you know, whether it's an ebook or whether it's a physical book or eventually is it going to be audio eventually or no.
Speaker 4: Yes, they have told me that will happen. They're just waiting to see how it goes in the first few months.
Speaker 1: Yeah, And I mean having all of the back end taken care of where you don't have to sell shit, you don't have to distribute, you don't have to get it on the shelves, you don't need to worry about marketing, branding. Look feel it's just like, oh god, that's if you can just be the talent in inverted commas, it's such an easier path.
Speaker 4: Absolutely, and they did in America. They're looking after all that side over there, and I mean, it just stuns me that some places will have this book, which is just makes me think, I just can't believe that's going to happen. But over here they did say obviously because of the distance, I have to do the heavy lifting in terms of marketing and trying to move it.
Speaker 3: But I don't mind that. Initially.
Speaker 4: I find the difficult part about all that side of it, especially with documentaries for me as well, is is I just think you can tend to get to the point where people are sick of you, do you know what I mean? And I do because I've been around so long with this sort of industry around in Melbourne anyway, you know your call on the networks and you have and they are they just they've been so wonderful to me. They were so wonderful to rob you as you know, in the past and look after me very well. But there comes a point where I, you know, I did, I did say to the publisher, I'll give it a good go for a couple of weeks and then that'll that'll do me from this end, and then I'll probably crank it up again sometime next year. But yeah, I'm not really comfortable with all that. I like, I don't mind doing it when when asked, but you know, you just got to think sometimes some some of the things you do are not of the interest of what the people are that you're looking to get on, you know.
Speaker 2: I think also.
Speaker 1: It's for somebody like you and a lot of people who don't necessarily love talking about themselves, right or you know, it's like it's just a thing you've got to do.
Speaker 2: And I understand it, but I think.
Speaker 1: It's never been more suited to to people like you.
Speaker 2: Now because you can just do this, you.
Speaker 1: Can just talk like it's not like, hey, we're willing you out for four minutes on the Today Show.
Speaker 2: Here he is and you've got to hey, everyone, yeah, I'm Pete. Yep. Oh, the book's bloody amazing. And then now we're off to a break.
Speaker 1: You know those little soundbody quick, you're in makeup, you're wearing a lapel mic. You've got to talk like a chipmunk for three minutes. You've got to get the message out. You've got to be this performing puppet like versus podcasting now where we can talk about whatever we talk about. We're going to talk about the book. We're going to make people aware, We're going to hopefully sell a few copies for you. We're going to get a little bit of background and inside on the story and the journey. But I think this kind of format, like for me, I've worked on Telly, I worked on Channel ten for three years, I worked on sen for fifteen, Like, I've done bits and pieces of media, and for me, podcasting is the best because there are literally no fucking rules.
Speaker 2: You and I can for ten minutes or four hours, doesn't matter.
Speaker 3: That's that's right. Yeah. Are you Are you comfortable on screen and so forth? Is that something you're comfortable with? Yeah?
Speaker 2: I don't mind it.
Speaker 1: I don't have any huge desire to be on Telly or to have my head scene. I'm more like I'm fascinated, like, and this is not just a sales pitch for the show, like I'm genuinely fascinated with stories and human behavior and high performance and you know the psychology of success and failure and emotion, and like I'm I love just having great conversations with people. And obviously if somebody rocked up and said, you know, I actually got approached by the ABC to do a pilot for a show Pete called The Life Coach, and so they flew me into Sydney. They had a whole audience. They had me and another lady who was kind of a co host more with me leading the way, her kind of bouncing off me, and we had like, I don't know what it was, seventy or eighty people in this audience and we did this pilot show around you know, helping people get their shit together essentially, and it went great.
Speaker 2: We're better than I thought.
Speaker 1: And you know, when then the team came up to me and when you know the camera loves.
Speaker 2: You, you killed that. That was amazing.
Speaker 1: It's not a matter of if, but when all this stuff and as you know what I'm going to say, you say to you, it fell over, right. So there's so much uncertainty in mainstream media. Yes, and so firstly, I'm very grateful for what I've done and where I've been and what I've seen and what I now have.
Speaker 2: Very grateful. So there's no.
Speaker 1: I'm not pissed off about anything, but the amount of people who say things that don't follow through on those things.
Speaker 4: Yes, absolutely, yeah happens. It happens in the documentary game too. You know, yet promise that this is going to happen, and so you set yourself up for the next twelve months and it doesn't happen.
Speaker 3: It kills you. It just kills you.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it kills you. I mean, you can't plan. It kills you, your direction in where you're heading, and throws everything off balance. And I'm and I'm one of those I think you know this, but even with this book release, I'm I just get petrified at this point. There's an element of me that feels like I'm the biggest fraud in the history of frauds. And I've always had that with the films you make, you put it out, because then then I'm just petrified.
Speaker 3: That any is anyone going to like this. I mean, what am I doing?
Speaker 4: And I think anyone who does what I do, I think that's that's just part of the business.
Speaker 3: That's just part of the I love.
Speaker 4: I love the process of writing, a love of the process of making films, but petrified at the end when it's done.
Speaker 3: That doesn't make any sense, and.
Speaker 1: It makes all the sense I think that. Firstly, I think feeling like an impost or a fraud. This is very counterintuitive and contrary to most opinions. I think it's good. I'll tell you why. I think it's good because it stops you from getting a fat head. It keeps you grounded, like it makes you like I've said this a million times to my listeners. I'm not a genius at all. I was never like you or your brother. I didn't have great genetics. I didn't have sporting talent. I wasn't the funniest, I wasn't the fastest. I couldn't fucking sing. You know, all of that mediocrity that was my starting point, and then all the self doubt and the overthinking and the fucking imposter syndrome that never goes far away. Like I'm a good communicator and I can talk, but that doesn't mean I'm not fucking scared.
Speaker 2: That doesn't mean.
Speaker 1: You know, literally, I did a gig the other day for AGL in the city, and it was quite a big gig and it was two hours and it was fair bit of dough and all of that and before I got up, literally, and I've done it thousands of times. People like, that's my job. I've been doing it since I was twenty five corporates. You know, I'm sitting on this couch at the back of the room while this MC is banging on about different stuff and then starts to introduce.
Speaker 2: Me and my bio.
Speaker 1: You know, like forty years of stuff condensed into the best shit I've ever done in thirty seconds.
Speaker 4: Sounds pretty impressive. Impressive, Yeah, but it's funny. The more they read that, it's almost like I wish there.
Speaker 1: I'm like, let's set the bar lower so their expectations, because when you read out my bio, it sounds like fucking Superman's about to get up. Yes, you know, and I still get up, mate, And that's self doubt, that overthinking that. You know, that's normal, it's just fair.
Speaker 3: But you know, I'm glad to say that. I'm glad.
Speaker 2: I'm not trying to make you feel better too.
Speaker 1: And I've coached lots of people and it's the same but here's this is what I think, right, So there's humans have this ability to simultaneously feel not good enough but know that you are right. It's like I can think, oh, fuck, I'm I'm actually I've just been lucky for the last thirty forty years. Like I'm like, if they actually find out what goes in my head, what goes on in my head? Fuck, nobody's going to want to listen because I don't even have my own shit together.
Speaker 2: So who am I to tell them? You know all that?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 2: Why fuck listen? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And it's like you you've never you've never done it, right, of course you're not this, You're not that. I'm like, yeah, I'm just an ex fat kid from fucking Ladro Valley.
Speaker 2: All that shit happens.
Speaker 1: But at the same time, there's this part of my brain that goes yep, Roger that I see all of that, I feel all of that. But also, Craig, you've literally done this thousands of times. You've even done it for this company and they asked you to come back, so you can't be complete shit, you know.
Speaker 2: So there's that there.
Speaker 1: But I I sorry it's a long winded rant, but I feel like that emotional stuff because it's all emotional, it's all fear based. It's all you know, self doubt, overthinking and feeling like a fraud, imposter syndrome, whatever you want to call it.
Speaker 2: It's all the same thing. And it's just a form of fear. But fears is a motivator.
Speaker 3: That just sums me up.
Speaker 4: But I mean, I also I've also let I've also shared the I had the.
Speaker 3: What's the word I had.
Speaker 4: The following Rob following Rob's efforts with films and you know, keep doing them myself. I've always had that I'm not good enough. I've never matched his level of brilliance. I've always had that.
Speaker 3: And I.
Speaker 4: Thought I got to a place about Actually, last time I spoke to you, once I wrote that book, I thought I'd got to a place where I'd settled that within myself.
Speaker 3: I thought, I am who I am, you know, I do what I do.
Speaker 4: And I sort of started to feel proud of myself in that space of the documentaries.
Speaker 3: And I think I think I reached out in documentaries.
Speaker 4: But it's funny, I've just thrown myself back into the into this timotacting arena with them with the book, writing you know because compared to authors, compared to I'm nobody. But I'm just All I'm doing is having a go. And I think the only thing that holds me, holds wait for me is the storytelling. And I think if I have a gift, it is storytelling. And I've accepted that now. So the way I write fiction is the way I do documentaries. I craft it. I there's there's three acts. I go through the whole process. This this this fiction, which is based on elements of every single person I've ever met. It has everything that I would put into a film. It has it has humor, it has emotion. You'll laugh, you'll cry, You'll you'll get to know characters, You'll feel like you you're connected to those characters.
Speaker 3: That's what I tried to get out of it.
Speaker 4: And I was talking about this yesterday, trying to find resolution with those characters. But one of the most difficult things with fiction is you get to the end. And sometimes I read books and go, I'm not quite. I don't think I'm done, you know, I don't think I've got to where I want to get with these characters. But I think I've managed to do that here.
Speaker 3: After one thousand rewrites back.
Speaker 4: It's essentially for those who if they do like the way I tell stories, I think they'll like this book.
Speaker 3: And that's all I can ask. I'm not out here to if you know it well.
Speaker 1: I also think it's important that people know it's about golf, but it's not really about golf. And I think when I first saw it's called The Embedded Lie everyone. By the way, when I first saw the cover, I went, cheese, I don't know. I don't know the book about golf. I'm like, mate, a book about golf. That's the smallest fucking market.
Speaker 2: Ever, are you really?
Speaker 4: Yeah? Yeah?
Speaker 1: And then and then I started to understand what the book was. I'm like, oh, dude, this is not this is not about golf. Golf is just like a reoccurring theme. It's about relationships and people and communication and connection and like a whole bunch of the human experience stuff.
Speaker 2: Yeah.
Speaker 4: So the publisher had came back with thoughts on covers and it was an interesting process.
Speaker 3: I'm not sure if this is of interest to you, but definitely. So.
Speaker 4: My initial thoughts was the seaside setting, because it is based around the Point Lonsdale, sort of Ballerine area, and I threw that to them. My daughter Abby, who's very artistic. She sort of painted this little sort of image of what I had in my head, and the publisher saw it.
Speaker 3: It was very impressed and sort of thing. Yeah, so they had.
Speaker 4: That same sort of reservation about you know, is it golf. But I think it's a beautiful cover. It's sort of but again, you're right, I think it'll throw a lot of people off, But in the end, I just thought it's perfectly fitting for what the story is. That it's sort of set around the game, if you like. There's a little bit of a sort of a love letter to sport, to golf. And I've stayed in my lane with this as well. My lane is sport, my lane is documentaries, and this within this story is a documentary, is made within the fiction story. So and it's very much about relationships of very much about family dynamics, very much about friendships over decades and the ups and downs of that. And the ten percent element of the book is golf.
Speaker 3: So you're right, it.
Speaker 4: Probably will throw people off at the cover, but it's just looking at it now.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I think I'm happy with it. Are you never really happy with it? I'm not sure, but yeah, yeah.
Speaker 1: But I think that's part of being like I reckon And I could be totally wrong with this because.
Speaker 2: But just just.
Speaker 1: Going back for a moment to you and Rob, like what was like this creative and energetic force, like this charismatic, you know, confident, charming, cheeky, all that, right, But I feel like with you your You've got skills and qualities and attributes that are brilliant that he didn't have. Like I feel for you, You're you're more measured, You're more you're probably more cautious, but probably more structured and process driven and box ticking and accountability. And whereas Rob was like a dog with three dicks, Rob was just like yes, yeah, yeah, and whereas like he was just a force.
Speaker 2: But it's like.
Speaker 1: We needed to almost like wrangle him, like just to go that's good. But you know, one thing at a time.
Speaker 4: Not thirteen Yes, when we were in business together doing our docos, was I was constantly trying to wrangle him in. And I think I wasted a few years of my own sort of creative element by trying to keep Rob on track, because he was such a powerful force, as you said, and he so creative and could hold a room walk in.
Speaker 3: You know, everyone was aware Rob was there. It's charismatic. I'm not like that. I'm a bit more quieter and reserved.
Speaker 4: I can do it if I want to, but I just it doesn't It's not as if Rob tried to do it.
Speaker 3: I think it was just him. It was just the way he was.
Speaker 4: But yeah, you're right, I'm a bit more measured. I sort of, as I like to say, was always kind of a bass player in the hilarious yeah up the front, you know, and I'm just sort of plugging away behind the scenes. And so if anything, I've had to, I've had to put myself out the front of that after his passing with what I've done, and it's not easy for me at all. But yeah, I'm a lot different to him, and I like to think, and this is another thing about the riding, to be honest, it has.
Speaker 3: Released me from the shackles.
Speaker 4: Of Rob in the sense that I'm doing something that he didn't do, and I don't.
Speaker 3: I don't. He probably could have the prick, you know, I bet you we could have if he wanted to.
Speaker 4: But I've got something that's mine now, like because forever in a day. When I do sports documentaries, I release them and the first thing people talk about is the legacy of Rob.
Speaker 3: And doctors and I love it. I love it.
Speaker 4: I love his name being still mentioned. But there is part of me that can't escape the fact that am I doing this because of Rob kind of thing? Whereas these books, especially this one, is fiction. This is this is out of the box in terms of something I doubt Rob would have ever done. So there is a there is a slight satisfaction in that.
Speaker 1: Well, yeah, yeah, and you love your brother, and you always love your brother, but it's your your you.
Speaker 2: He was him and you don't.
Speaker 1: Have to live in his shadow, and neither would he want you to or you know, and you've got your own talent and your own path. Hey, I wanted to ask you what surprised you about the fiction writing process, Like, was there anything where you went off? Is it twenty times harder? Or this is easy? Like what not came up?
Speaker 4: Well, what's surprising you was how bloody hard it is. You're right, It's just it's so difficult. I had no idea how difficult it was to I make shit up.
Speaker 3: That is interesting. There's a lot of there's a lot.
Speaker 4: Of elements of this that I've based on real events, But you can't just it's a biography then if you go that way.
Speaker 3: So what I had to do is even.
Speaker 4: As simple things, Craig, is what am I going to name these characters?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: You think that's easy, It's bloody hard. What relationships do they have with each other?
Speaker 2: What?
Speaker 3: It just goes on and on and on.
Speaker 4: So the further I got into writing, I started to, I feel the first half when I wrote it, it was okay. The second half I got into my groove and it took about ten eleven months, and because I was in between documentaries and waiting for the call, waiting for the next funding, I had time on my hands. And the problem with me is I can't do anything else. Like I look at everyone else's occupation and I'm jealous of how other people operate their lives because I don't have any other options. My options are storytelling and documentary and it's a it's a prick of an industry for that, for constant work, for a constant income.
Speaker 3: I'm just sometimes just bloody lucky that I've got a wife who's a doctor.
Speaker 4: To be honest, in these periods where I'm not earning as much.
Speaker 3: As I should.
Speaker 4: You know, there's coverage there, so and she backs me all the way with that. But yeah, it's it's hard, it's it's a grind. I'm I'm a pretty good The thing about writing is I'm I'm a world class typist.
Speaker 3: I must admit. One of the one of the most.
Speaker 4: Bizarre things that ever was when I worked at the National Safety Council with Rob years ago. One of the first things they taught me was how to type, which I look back now and go, that's one of the greatest things I.
Speaker 3: Ever got from the National Safety Council.
Speaker 4: Because I can without looking type fast, so I can punch through manuscripts and words, and I generally averaged when I was really pumping it out about three to four thousand a.
Speaker 3: Day what words.
Speaker 4: So I was So what that process is is I'm just in the zone and I'm writing, and I'm in the characters.
Speaker 3: And I'm feeling it, and I'm I get through it. That has to be reworked a lot what I've just written, but I'm getting there. I'm pushing through the story.
Speaker 4: So I have an ability to do that, which I did not know before I started writing the first book, I did not know I had that at all. Right, I've always I'm not a greater student by any means, and when I look back at my schooling, English was clearly my best subject any mathematics. I can't even look at my son's year eight stuff. I just don't know what he's talking about, you know what I mean.
Speaker 3: I'm no good but yeah, so English, so and essays. I always was good at essays, but I never.
Speaker 4: Put it into practice in a working sense until now. So maybe there is something there, and I'd like to do another one. I think it can only get better now that I've got one out of the way. But again, it's how much you commit to this genre of storytelling, because you know, you've got to get to a point where you realize you're not going to make a schoolion dollars from it. It's more self satisfaction really, unless you get a big published, get an agent, and get it out there.
Speaker 1: You know, I've been mentoring a young guy for years, like he came in one of my programs when he was nineteen, met him when he was seventeen or eight, and he's thirty six. Now.
Speaker 2: I would love to get you two together. You would love him.
Speaker 1: He actually he reminds me a little bit of Rob in that he's good looking, as charismatic as fuck. He's charming, he's very likable. It's got a couple of kids and a wife is thirty. Tommy his name is Tommy Jacket, and he's making docos and he just started, you know, just like fifteen years ago, filming stuff with me little things, and now he just came back from the States. He spent nearly two months with a team of seven, fully funded by private equity for a fair bit of dough.
Speaker 2: I know how much dode like, not insignificant and.
Speaker 1: Yeah, he like but he's he's killed himself to get to this point where they went to the States and they filmed a doco around gun culture and basically the psychology of Americans and their guns and relationships with their guns through the lens of Australians.
Speaker 2: I've seen some of the footage. It's fucking amazing.
Speaker 1: And he's like you, he's a really good storyteller and like the of his stuff is like television better than like it's great.
Speaker 2: You would love it.
Speaker 1: You would love him, But yeah, I don't know why I told you that in the middle of the podcast. But I just see a lot of not that necessarily you would do anything together.
Speaker 2: But I think he's a kindred spirit, like he would just thinking that.
Speaker 3: I was actually just thinking those terms. It sounds like a kindred spirit.
Speaker 1: He would get you, and you would get him, and he would go, mate, what about this?
Speaker 2: And you go, ah, fuck, let me tell you a story about that.
Speaker 1: And he's always trying to get you know, things up and getting funding and you know the stuff that he does produce though, and it's now it's you know, it's like he goes to the States with two or three camera people and the sound people and a production manager and like the whole you know, it's not like it's a cast of thousands, but it's you know, they spent lots of dough and you know, they've got hundreds of hours of footage. They've got to turn it into a ninety minute docco that is going to be on hopefully some streaming platform.
Speaker 4: And but yeah, we might way to go. Yeah's love to me. Private EQUI is a good way to fund it. That's a nice way to go.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I might we should organize a coffee you and me and him, you love it, you too would like each other, Like he's one of those dudes where you're like, ah, you know some people. This is going to sound weird, but I don't want to give you a fat head Tommy, but like some people, you like being around them, Like you walk away feeling more positive and more energized.
Speaker 2: And it's not a.
Speaker 1: Drain, like there are a percentage of people, not a lot that I walk away from them like I feel like I've been just fucking backstroking and quicksand emotional quicksand like set me out. Yes that's hard, and every time it's like, oh god, it's hard.
Speaker 2: But he's the opposite. But anyway, we'll see if we can look that up. Mate. I love chatting with you. The book is called The Embedded Lie. Everybody.
Speaker 1: I'm super proud of you. You're a gun, You're a good human. I love your humility but also your talent and your creativity. Thanks for coming out to play mate, Thanks for chatting to me again, and we love you being on the You project and we're always going to support you and you know we'll get you back.
Speaker 2: Again when you're doing your next thing whatever that looks like.
Speaker 3: I'm just so grateful to you, mate for this chat. I love it.
Speaker 4: I love speaking to you. I I adore reconnecting with Rob's best mates. For some reason, it really warms my heart. And you're one of them, and I it makes me feel a bit closer to him when I do so.
Speaker 3: I love that.
Speaker 4: Supporting my work, Craig, You've been amazing and this book. It's available at my website Peterdison dot com dot are you if anyone wants to have a read eye But to you personally, I love chatting with you and I just appreciate it so much, mate.
Speaker 1: Mate, It's a pleasure and it's win win, definitely win win. We'll have a chat off air in a minute. But for the moment, mate, the books called The Embedded lie By. Christmas is coming, everybody, come by ten. I cannot be lazy good if Christmas is coming. Just get ten and we'll say goodbye.
Speaker 2: We'll say goodbye off here in a moment. But for now, mate, thanks for being on the You project.
Speaker 3: Cheers mate, I appreciate it.