Speaker 1: Welcome to the Late Debase.
Speaker 2: Good evening and welcome to the show. I'm Caler bond Eve for the second hour of TV tonight. Props to you if you've stayed since Kredlin where you watched me six pm, joined of course by Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand.
Speaker 3: Right, you know how please?
Speaker 2: You know how much we love a council story on this program, and we've got plenty of it for you.
Speaker 1: Tonight. We'll tell you.
Speaker 2: About a council over in the US campaigning for menstrual equality, whatever that is in the papers. We'll tell you about a mayor here in Australia who lied about his particulars during the election campaign and then blamed it on a hundred concussions. And then later on in the show we'll tell you about the dumbest court defendant ever. But first, you, like me, perhaps grew up watching cricket on TV. Now, some of our old viewers of would have come to it a little bit later, but I grew up with the likes of Tony greg and Richie Benno and Bill Lourie in the Halcyon days of Channel nine.
Speaker 1: Commentari Does this remind you.
Speaker 2: Whatever turns to a star because she seemed to run straight at him and all of a sudden he was.
Speaker 1: On his back.
Speaker 3: Fitchen's enjoying Tony West's seed.
Speaker 1: Straightaway. He's Christ out of the stumps taste.
Speaker 2: Now. Of course, the bloke you saw at the end there was Michael Slater.
Speaker 1: Once upon a time.
Speaker 2: He was a decorated Test player who played seventy four Tests for Australia, an average of forty two point eight three runs, fourteen centuries and twenty one half centuries and he was a big part of my childhood watching.
Speaker 1: But of course in recent years he's had to deal.
Speaker 2: With and has gone through a number of arrests and convictions for domestic violence and other related offenses.
Speaker 1: He was caught.
Speaker 2: Again last month and charged with some nineteen domestic violence related charges and with zen put in the slammer because he was denied bail. Will the Wogga Wogga Council and he was a Wogga Wogga boy, has decided to take his name off the Michael Slater Oval. The council voted last night four to three to remove his name. After a couple of weeks ago someone puts some tape over his name on the sign. Well, they've made it official now because of course they have decided that he has brought shame to the region, and it opens up this question of whether or not whenever someone commits an offense or does something wrong, their name should be expunged from history. That's of course what they're doing to Michael Slater here. And yes he has been convicted, so it's not all allegations anymore. But you know, I'm really conflicted on this one, Liz, because sure, he is a man who has fallen from grace, and there's no doubt he has done bad things. He has convictions relating to domestic violence and other violence, etc. But can you separate the man or the woman, as the case may be, from the crime and say, look, we still leave the name there because it goes down this road of you know, we're tearing down statues, or certainly people at Kamikazi tearing down statues now because they've decided that someone was a bad historical figure. We have names being removed from streets and electorates and all sorts of things because we've decided that they're no longer okay. Is it okay to say no more?
Speaker 1: We don't want you.
Speaker 4: Well, it was the honor of having this oval named after him predated all of these offenses. So you're quite right in saying the question is, can you honor someone for extraordinary professional especially athletes, their prowess at any kind of thing, as well as knowing that in their personal life they were a piece of crap.
Speaker 5: But at the time as well.
Speaker 4: So if the answer is yes, and we should just expunge anyone that had dodgy things going on in their personal life at some point.
Speaker 5: Who would be left.
Speaker 4: There wouldn't be a building left or an oval left. We'd have to rename them all, and we'd have to start calling them after nobody. Because if I name something today in honor of Joe, such an upstair, what is it?
Speaker 5: And tomorrow he commits some sort.
Speaker 1: Of felony is his name?
Speaker 4: Then exponge like it just reaches a level. Obviously, these honors nowadays are never handed to someone who currently has convictions on their records because people would just be like, we don't care what you achieved as a cricketer, you're a terror able person when it comes to your personal life.
Speaker 5: But because it pre dates and his achievements.
Speaker 4: Still stand I just think it's a moot point. You'd have to start renaming a lot of things, doing your homework on everyone who's ever had anything named after them, going into their personal lives and saying, well, did these guys have something bad going on behind doors as well?
Speaker 3: Yeah? I think it's probably a sliding scale, isn't it. I mean, in theory, the art should be its own thing, right, So you know, a song is a good song regardless of who wrote it. The song stands to a masterpiece. Doesn't matter what say, Leonardo da Vinci did in his private.
Speaker 5: Life, they're the ones.
Speaker 3: It's still a masterpiece. But then again, where do you draw the line? And this is what this is what I'm kind of concerned about. Firstly, that this happened just because someone took it upon themselves to cross out his name, and then the council suddenly decided that had to rename the Oval. So it didn't do it. You know, months or years ago when these charges were first raise viction of the first phrase, So do they have a little sort of abacus where they go, all right, yeah, okay, third conviction. Now you don't get the oval. But the first couple of you find like again, it's a problematic one. Does everyone still listen to Michael Jackson songs?
Speaker 1: Well, and that's because the seasons.
Speaker 3: Took Michael Jackson after we all found out that it really was Michael Jackson in that episode, they took him off it.
Speaker 2: But you listened to any FM radio station and they're still playing Michael Jackson's right, And.
Speaker 3: Then okay, so we've got that all right. Michael Jackson was never convicted before you're ride in, so that there's plenty of plenty of reguations out there. Rolf Harris, Ye, do we still listen to Rolf Harris songs or not? You know?
Speaker 2: I don't well, I mean I remember at school it was you know, Jake the Peg and Tymy Kangaroo down Sport.
Speaker 1: But I suppose he's been.
Speaker 3: There was a community center. I think it was in Wi Community Center. I'm not sure if it was named after. I had a Rolf Harris mural sort of dedicated to him, and they got rid of that because I thought, well, we just can't have it there. But again, Pablo Picasso, he was a bit of an a hole by all reports, And there are plenty of plenty if you're talking about domestic violence here, plenty of figures of history. You could go back. John Lennon admitted to hitting his partner, and he actually admits it in an interview, says I was a hitter, and he writes about it in a song. Now, are we not going to listen to any John Lennon musically? They're going to rename John Lennon International Airport at Liverpool if we're not going to have any tolerance for domestic violence. Or because he repented and said he doesn't do it anymore, is that they're okay because he's a man of peace? Well what if Michael Slater says, I'm really really sorry, I've found God. I'm a man of peace. Now do I get the name of my oval back? So anyone who thinks that this is a black and white issue, frankly doesn't know their history. And it's same guys with tearing down statues, whether it's Captain Cook or the Confederate statues that were built during the Jim Crow area in the American South. Fine, you know who they're tearing down now, Winston Churchill. They're tearing down Mahatma Gandhi because Gandhy wasn't sufficiently advocating on the side of black South Africans. Who's more concerned with Indian South Africans, And so he was a racist as well because he you know, he supported sliding color scar when he was there at the time. Where do you draw the line? Do you demolish Paris because it was built by Napoleon? There was a terrible the nineth century dictator. I think if the.
Speaker 4: Honor predates the crime, sorry reverse that. So if yeah, if the honor predates the crime, leave it.
Speaker 5: Otherwise it's going to.
Speaker 1: Be impossible to roll out.
Speaker 4: Obviously, the council was very divided on this as well.
Speaker 5: The vote was three to four.
Speaker 4: So also, who is going to then decide how bad the crime has to be in order for the honor to be revoked.
Speaker 3: Jim Jeffrey actually has developed formula I want.
Speaker 4: To remove honors or thought crimes.
Speaker 3: It's like this.
Speaker 4: Person holds certain opinions, like the famous saga of Margaret Court, people.
Speaker 5: Calling for the arena named in her honor.
Speaker 4: She still holds the world record for women's championships one, and yet they want to go, well, we don't leave what she believes, and so she should lose.
Speaker 5: The honor of having this arena named after her. So then even if.
Speaker 4: You even if you go okay, let's let's roll with this a little bit, it very quickly gets out of hand and people go, oh, well that's a crime.
Speaker 3: Can I say, I know this is going to be controversial, but I actually do support the renaming of Margaret Court No, because it should be called Margaret Court Court. Let's not care for it. And then they should build an arena next to it and call it Tina Arena Arena.
Speaker 1: Hey, I'd be in full support of that.
Speaker 3: I love Margaret.
Speaker 1: I also love Tina Arena.
Speaker 2: But I mean, you know, I mean Wayne Carey is getting around Mogga Boy.
Speaker 3: As well in football. That's so good, that's right.
Speaker 2: So it's almost some people get a second chance and other people don't get a sick that's right.
Speaker 3: And I think it often depends on your ratings, your money, whether or not you've covered it up, whether or not you're able to you know. I mean, this is the thing. It seems to me. It is very rarely a morally pure decision. And again if often it starts with a bit of sort of you know, vigilanteism or vandalism, and so often as the council or the body. And we've seen this in the US with the statues as well, taking this incredibly moraled and principal decision because it's just easier because if they don't do it, then they're worried about this cready coming back.
Speaker 4: It's like, oh, while leaving this oval in his name, you support women bashing. That is a ridiculous equivocation.
Speaker 3: Let's go to.
Speaker 4: Another renaming of a street, this time in Mullen Bimbi. It's called Hot and Tot Crescent and this was noticed by a South African uber driver who told his mate and they.
Speaker 5: Took the council to task on this.
Speaker 4: Not the council, actually the Geographical Names Board, who.
Speaker 5: Knew that we had one saying this.
Speaker 4: Is well was a racial slur back in the day in South Africa.
Speaker 5: You simply cannot keep this name. One of the names that has.
Speaker 4: Been ruled out as a replacement option is Drunken Parrot Play, so you'll be relieved to know that.
Speaker 3: But now I have named it Drunken Irishman Place.
Speaker 4: So Johnny Simon's the Byron Bay resident who took this up, said I grew up under apartheid and I am very aware of what that name means, because it was a name my people were called.
Speaker 1: It was shortened to hot.
Speaker 5: Tot's to make you feel inferior.
Speaker 4: Only if you or your family were called those things.
Speaker 5: Can you fully understand what it means?
Speaker 3: Now?
Speaker 4: I'm sure there's no person who reads that and isn't empathetic to what he's saying. However, the crescent was called hot and Tot because it has a plant that goes by the name of hot and Tot, which grows all along the crescent, hence the name.
Speaker 5: So again, I had no.
Speaker 3: Idea this was a racial slur.
Speaker 1: I I've never heard of it.
Speaker 4: If so either, But this is like when we renamed coon cheese, which had nothing to do with anything indigenous and everything to do with Edward Kuhn, who came up with a patent to mature cheese far faster.
Speaker 5: Thanks Edward Love, you were sorry about the man.
Speaker 4: We renamed Chicko's to Cheeky's. We renamed redskins.
Speaker 3: Yes, kids have loly cigarettes.
Speaker 2: So the Hot and Top bean tree, I've no doubt the Hot and Top being ascribed to it probably had a racial connotation to begin with, But the shottier racky Patala is the scientific name for the tree. But when they named the street after the hot and top bean tree, I don't think.
Speaker 1: Anyone was sitting there going, oh boy, let's choose a racial slur.
Speaker 5: Three of us even knew that that was a racial slur. In any country.
Speaker 3: That's what we call the hot water bottles. It is little hot top to go to bed.
Speaker 2: But so we get caught up in these stupid arguments about oh the streets racist, or we should change the date of Australia, and all we talk about is surface level nonsense. Because it feels nice to change it. We can go, oh, we changed the street name. Look, how good are we. We've solved racism.
Speaker 1: Here in Australia.
Speaker 2: And we'll get to Laura Tingle on those matters in a minute. But you know, it makes people feel lovely and virtuous because we've done something nice. But is there a single South African on the face of the planet who will get up tomorrow morning and go blame me, Charlie? Can you believe in mullum mimbi they change the name of Hot and Tot Crescent and our.
Speaker 1: Racism is solved. It doesn't work like.
Speaker 3: Thatlthough I do love the idea of South African suddenly talking like alf from home and away, I think that's that's an absolute squatcher here in joe Burgh.
Speaker 2: But I just every time we have one of these things, I just can't believe that people get so passionate. I mean, obviously we're passionate about it here pointing out the ridiculousness of it, but people actually feel so passionate about it that they will spend hours, days, months campaigning to change the name of the street when they could have actually gone out and done something material in terms of.
Speaker 4: The bar is so low offence equals changed. This was two blokes in this instance, and much like Bakoon Cheese episode, it was never about you.
Speaker 5: It was about Edward Coon.
Speaker 4: This this crescentce name was never about you.
Speaker 5: It was about the plant. Like in the naming of the shouldn't we go.
Speaker 6: To most looks with pure hearts named?
Speaker 3: I think I think that this is one of the clear examples that Laura Tingle was talking about to the Sydney Writers Festival last Sunday when she said that Australia is a racist country, always has been, she said, and now she has doubled down on her comments suggesting Australia is a racist country. And this comes at the same time as she's apparently been counseled saying that Australia is a racist country. So justin sevens the ABC News buster says she's very very sorry, she regrets it terribly. I don't put out a statement saying we're all very sorry. It was a terrible mistake. She shouldn't have said it. Then Laura Tingle releases a statement the size of a quarterly essay. It was basically basically detailing why she was perfectly within her rights to say it and why she's a racist country, listing all these examples of how racis is and how terrible Peter Dutton was for you know, dog whistling apparently allegedly in his budget reply speech, and even said and this is what takes the cake for me. Even raised in her statement the anti semitism angle. So she said, after all, the Australian has been saying for months about all these all these anti Semitic actions that have been sweeping through the country. So she's actually turned it back. She hasn't herself said that anti semitism was one of the examples of racism that she was raising, because imagine if she'd said that the Sydney writers that might have in all Australia a racist country. On mass Oh that's fine every because yeah, like that anti semitism, what you sire? That's big dog you fashion. So it's just a bizarre situation where again, you know, there's like I don't think there is any actual awareness of what people are upset about or what they find so kind of I don't know, not offensives, I don't like the whole offense utresting, but just so out of touch and out of step with mainstream Australian values. Anyway. This is what Peter Dutton had to say about it on two GB this morning.
Speaker 7: Laura Tinkles outed herself now as somebody who is a part of san She's a green slash labor supporter, she is political in nature, and therefore her credibility as a journalist really is shot.
Speaker 3: Which is exactly what you'd expect a racist to say.
Speaker 1: Confirmation Confirmation.
Speaker 3: It blows my mind, I mean, because this is because this is the stuff, this is where not only this because it gets my goat, because this is where someone who is for the kind of sensible center left and everyone to focus on real issues instead of this stupid, dumb, kind of inner city preoccupation. Let's not forget that the only racist scenario Laura Tingle imagined from the budget reply speech she was so upset by occurred in her own head. The only racist thoughts were in her own head as she was imagining all this racism that was being unleashed. And I agree with her analysis on the migration policy. I don't think Peter Dunton is right on migration, but do I think that is racist just for raising it, Well.
Speaker 2: It's going to cause people to rock up to you know, open inspections and just start abusing people on mass.
Speaker 4: Seventy five percent of Australians do agree with Dunnan on the immigration policy and saying yes, we need more clamp down on this right now. It's ridiculous million rather arriving in the country just last year. We simply can't accommodate this. Dutton was simply making the point, Yes, it is impacting housing, it is impacting traffic, et cetera, and so on.
Speaker 5: How could it not so?
Speaker 4: The ABC wheel out managing director David Anderson to know unruffle the ruffled feathers. Here he is today at the Senate Environment and Communications Legislation Committee, basically saying, look, she's not going to be stood down from work or the board.
Speaker 1: We've sorted it.
Speaker 8: A mature nation, regardless of political views, should be able to discuss such issues in a respectful and intelligent way. The ABC's role and the work of our journalist light miss Tingle, is to help facilitate those debates on our platforms. Finally, Miss Tingle does not deserve the ferocity and frankly vicious attacks that we've seen this week.
Speaker 1: So vicious, so vicious.
Speaker 3: She can't handle it.
Speaker 5: No, and neither can we.
Speaker 4: I don't know why they got him to go to this Senate committee because the entire.
Speaker 1: Thing he was so piss week.
Speaker 4: There was a quick apology and all the rest of it was blaming news Court for like highlighting this and made it a news Court fee.
Speaker 3: You can't do anything about Layd Tingle. They can't get rid of it. There will be an open revolution. The staff would revolt and the friends of the ABC type so were also whiter than a polar bear at a snow store, saw a picture of them recently, I was just trying to find anyone who was just a less wider shild of pale. But he can't. That would be an open revolt, because you know, that's how the ABC runs. And I'd said last night that you know, if you go go to Twitter, guarantee tens of thousands of people Laura Tingle was trending. I think it was the number one trending topic. It was something like when I happened to look at it, like fourteen thousand mentions or something like this. This is just going crazy. And this is the sort of thing that inner city left are just obsessed with. I've never seen homelessness or poverty get that kind of.
Speaker 1: Oh what a surprise.
Speaker 2: And Anderson went on today about impartiality because he was asked about whether, of course, all of this affects the impartiality of Laura Tingle, and he said that it did not affect Laura Tingle's impartiality, but it had threatened the impartiality of the ABC.
Speaker 1: How do you reconcile that.
Speaker 2: I mean, the woman whose mouth the words came out of, No, no, no, that's fine, there's nothing wrong with her impartiality. But the ABC has been heard by the whole thing, and then Sarah Hansen Young was going on about, oh you know what do we see this massive pile on this week? It's News Corp digging the heels into the ABC. The point is, it's not about News Corp, it's not about the Sydney Morning Herald, it's not about any publication in particular. What it is about is that a person who is very high up at the ABC. Not only is she the chief political correspondent on seven point thirty, she's also the staff elected board member on the ABC board, so she is a director of the outfit as well as one of its best known reporters, comes out and says the country I live in is racist, by which she besmirches all Australians and says, well, you're all terrible, except of course for the people who watch seven thirty every night, because they are a different class of person. What she is saying is that all the people in my little bubble. And of course, you know she went along to the Sydney Ratis Festival.
Speaker 1: She probably felt like.
Speaker 2: She was sitting in the drawing room of one of her socialist friends in the Eastern Suburbs, where they can safely sip champagne and talk about things without being overheard.
Speaker 1: That's why she felt comfortable to say it.
Speaker 2: But what she is saying is that people like you who watch Sky News, who don't live in the inner city, you know, maybe you live in the suburbs, maybe you even live out in the country, often very successfully in high migrant population areas. You are the racist people, not the enclaves where I live that are full of white people.
Speaker 1: That is the point of what she was saying. And the fact that.
Speaker 2: Anderson sat there and sort of no, nothing to worry about.
Speaker 1: We haven't heard from the chair.
Speaker 2: Kim Williams not a peep, and he famously said when he got the job as chair that you know, if you can't adhere to impartiality at the ABC, it's time for you to go.
Speaker 1: And that's a word from him.
Speaker 3: Now the thing. I spoke to a friend of mine who was at the thing, and just no one thought that had the slightest issue with anything said. No one even noticed that she said anything festival or controversial, because everyone in that room they didn't think they were being impartial or biased. They thought that it was a simple, uncontestable facts, just like the sky is blue. Australia is racist and that's how they think. And we are getting and again we are sort of in this post truth world now, which is scary but you know, unavoidable, it seems, where no one can actually agree on what impartiality is. So she and again this has shown and this I suppose to what I'm trying to get, This has shown Laura Tingle statement. She says, well, no, I was just stating the facts. I was just stating the truth. And you know what you can say if you want to just say, well, if a country is racist because it has some racist in it, or there are some things that are racist that have happened in its history, or that there are you know, things that have been you know that some races are not doing as well as others in the country, then yes, you can absolutely make the case and say for a fact that Australia is racist. And you know what other country is racist? All of them, every single one. Because there's not a single country in which everyone lives free from discrimination. There is no single country with a clean sheet of history where no racism has ever been practiced. And that is not just the white European countries. There's not just the colonial powers. That includes China, Japan, India, the US, Brazil, you name it. They're all racist. They were even keeping they were keeping slaves right up until I think the twentieth century in some parts of the world. Not the British Empire, I'll have you know. I'm want to check a few others. So again, it seems so strange that you would know all this. And I respect people just don't know it. They don't know their history, they don't know their geography, but that someone could just say, oh, yes, I just see this thing happening with me in front of Australia in twenty twenty four. Australia is so racist, like if it is just such a stupid and ignorant and lazy comment. And everyone I've spoken to, including you know, all my friends on the LEFTO, are just going, why do these people keep doing it? They did it in the Voice debate constantly, and that is why we lost, because they were just saying, well, the no vote's just racist or they're just appealing to racism. Why they're just And again you can run the numbers on that result, and if the no vote is racist, then the most racist people in the country are migrants. The most racist people in the country are foreigners people who have come from overseas, and the least racist people are all the people who voted yes. We assume, so what is the most likely to make you not racist? Being rich and white who fundamentally position.
Speaker 1: What the no vote.
Speaker 4: Proved is that we are a nation who doesn't care about being called racist, because it was at nauseam ran down our throats. If you vote yes, rather if you vote no, you are a racist.
Speaker 5: Well, the last majority of us didn't care.
Speaker 4: To Queensland now, where Premier Stephen Miles is pulling out the stops because he's got an election to win and he kind of at this point knows he won't. But here he is telling us today that twelve. The reason why we're not getting a new stadium is I've basically spoken to absolutely every Queenslander and they said they don't want it.
Speaker 9: I spend every single day out in Queensland talking to Queenslander's, hearing from them what they think, and if they wanted a new three and a half billion dollar stadium, they would have told me that. I can assure you that they did not. What Queenslanders tell me is they want support with the cost of living. They want energy rebates, thousand dollars energy rebates, they want fifty cent public transport fares.
Speaker 3: They want support for them now.
Speaker 9: And the only people running around town behind closed doors telling people that they will build that stadium is the LMP. I can assure you that I've listened to Queenslanders and I am making sure that we spend that money on them and not on a stadium.
Speaker 4: Except that the Olympics is still coming, okay, and you've got to have the game somewhere.
Speaker 5: Mate.
Speaker 6: Your predecessor won the tender, got the gig, big celebration, what a legend, and nobody's doing anything about it.
Speaker 4: At this point, Chris of Fooley must be like, I'm not sure if I do want to win the election, because it will mean that the LMP have just seven years to get this thing off the ground, because the games are arriving regardless. Whereas his attitude is clearly well, I've got an a lection.
Speaker 3: They've got that old hockey field just a couple of hours coach ride from me, exactly USAK, but I love there.
Speaker 5: Can you believe he's got a PhD in philosophy?
Speaker 2: I think he's got a PhD In having the quivers, because every time you look at him, he always seems like he's got a game. But I just love this whole thing about Well, you know, it's either raw. You can either have the stadium or you can have the cost of living relief. Now, buddy, why don't you call up your mates down in Victoria where they're spending what is a two hundred billion dollars on the suburban rail loop or something, right, I mean, they are throwing around big bucks down there, and admittedly they are going broke. I mean, you know, two and a half billion dollars two hundred billion dollars is.
Speaker 1: A lot of money.
Speaker 2: Put three point five billion dollars to build a stadium, which, by the way, Miles commissioned a report to tell him what bits they should and shouldn't do, what they should and shouldn't build for the Olympics.
Speaker 1: Of course, they paid for that report.
Speaker 2: Report then came back and he said yes to all the recommendations except the biggest recommendation, which.
Speaker 1: Was build a new stadium. No, no, I don't like that.
Speaker 3: He commissioned another report after he endorsed the first report. He commissioned another report that came back and said no, the first report was wrong, and he said, oh, okay, but it is our report.
Speaker 1: Government absolutely insane.
Speaker 2: The idea that you can't have fifty cent public transport if you have an Olympic stadium is just absolute nonsense. What's going to happen when all these people rock up for the Olympics from all over the world and they're going to.
Speaker 3: Go the best hockey game of their lives, We're going to have to ship out. If you're looking for advice on how to put on a major international sporting event, I'm not sure if the Victorian government, well we know what. I think we might be seeing a similar trick here.
Speaker 8: Oh.
Speaker 3: I've just commissioned a third report and it turns out the Olympics are much more expensive than it told we were lied to. Can you believe that? And so now, in the interest of Queenslanders, I'm going to do something, not because it's popular, but because it's the right thing to do. Oh, we're going to cancel the Olympics. And then we're going to cancel Christmas.
Speaker 2: God help us. I hope it never happens. While we're on matters of sport, the NRL has managed to secure a team in Papua New Guinea and for that the taxpayers of Australia are going to stump up six hundred million dollars.
Speaker 3: They look like they're stadium exactly.
Speaker 2: They've been looking to get an eighteenth license into the game and there's been talk. Of course, there's a lot of the players who of course are involved in the NRL are Pacific Islanders, et cetera. So they were looking to expand into a new market. It's good for the NRL because of course it's a new TV market, it creates.
Speaker 1: New hubbub over there.
Speaker 2: But the taxpayer, of course, because Peter Velandi, who is the Chairman of the NRL Commission also the CEO of Racing New South Wales, has to be the most effective sports administrator in the country.
Speaker 1: Take note next time.
Speaker 2: You hear reported in the news a story about the NRL and they refer to Peter Vilandi's as the NRL boss.
Speaker 1: He's not the NRL boss. He's the chairman.
Speaker 2: There is actually a CEO, his name's Andrew Abdo, but they call Peter Viland he's the boss because he's that damn good at his job and he's managed to extract six hundred million dollars from Anthony alban Easy to get this thing up and going.
Speaker 1: So Steven Miles, oh.
Speaker 2: He can't have a stadium, but Anthony Albernezi is more than happy, especially the cash around. Perhaps Miles should get on the phone to his mate Anthony alban Easy and ask for some money to build a stadium. But I think there's probably something else at play here, because because we love a bit of soft diplomacy, right and we have to do it. We have to do some form of diplomacy through these Pacific nations, because if we don't give them six hundred million dollars, China gives them six hundred million dollars.
Speaker 1: In fact, China gives them a billion dollars two billion, three billion, four billion.
Speaker 2: Can tell Mestai thing, you tell me, I'll write the check and I'll.
Speaker 1: Hand it over to you.
Speaker 2: And then, of course at some point China comes knocking on the door and says, some remember the four billion dollars we gave you, We'd like a favor back. So we go around throwing money around in the hopes that we'll be able to counter this sort of Chinese fence.
Speaker 3: But China can't give them the NRL thow. China can't give them a footy. And that's why this is a good deal.
Speaker 4: Firstly, China can just stump up with any number of better deals. The building ransom by our neighbors. We're constantly all this foreign aid or whatever we want to label it. In this case, it's six hundred milli lives. It's like we're being held to ransom, like please like us more than China. That didn't work out in the Solomon Islands. They were like, thanks for all your money and support over the years. We're just giving these guys grounds right under your nose anyway. So the bottom line is, no matter how many like little sweet treats we give these neighbors, China has deeper pockets and they are always going to find a way to make even a six hundred million dollar NRL team look like small.
Speaker 5: Look they can offer.
Speaker 3: There's a bit in that. And obviously, you know, we are in something of a diplomatic bidding war with China, and that is just how international primacy has always worked. I mean, how do you think cities win the Olympics in the first place. They do it by you know, well at least in the good old days. They do it by, you know, slapping on a seven course dinner and line in the pockets of the IOC people who are going to visit. Can't get your mistakes. A bit of lobster to wash that down with. But the difference between US and China can give them money, yes, but it cannot give them the footy. So we can bring the we can bring PMNG into the NRL shure.
Speaker 1: They take both, and.
Speaker 3: That builds, and that builds closer, but that builds close to tires. That makes them feel hopefully more loyal to us. The same with the other Pacific Island nations. They trust us well, even though they take the China money, they trust us more and they like us more, and we have more really connections, connections, that's right. And so the Solomoni is obviously dealing both sides of their talking out of both sides. Now, yeah, yeah, that's right. But that's you know, that's what happens. And they're going to play players off against That's what I'm saying.
Speaker 5: Deals with these guys like, are we friends?
Speaker 3: We still need to make sure that Solomon Islands doesn't become a Beijing port. But we have to make sure that.
Speaker 5: By giving them an L team we haven't.
Speaker 3: We already sorted them out, and with PJ we have and we will.
Speaker 2: I think the biggest problem is that we're sending them the n r L. Why aren't we sending them the greatest game in the country, which is Aussie Rules.
Speaker 1: That's what they should be playing.
Speaker 2: Don't insult their masculinity, all, come on, they should be Look rugby league. They run forwards and then they pass the ball backwards, and you want to talk about masculinity in airfield there it's rough and tumbled, big tacklesknocking people over. Eterial ping pole.
Speaker 3: Is nothing but knocking people over. Half the time, they don't even know where the ball is, but.
Speaker 2: They're just mindlessly charging at each other, whereas in the avil there's a bit of skill.
Speaker 3: They're tough, they're strong, they're just made of muscley.
Speaker 4: This has just evolved into sports talk, which is highly boring if you're like me, which I'm sure you all are. Elegant refined farm Anyway, enough of that to the city of Victoria now, and not the one you're thinking of.
Speaker 5: This is in British Columbia.
Speaker 4: When I first came across this news article today, I was.
Speaker 5: Like, Oh, Victoria's done it again. For once, It's not them.
Speaker 4: They have tweeted today we join efforts to reduce the stigma around periods and work toward minstrel equitique.
Speaker 5: Someone explained what that is.
Speaker 4: City hall will light up red and display the period flag. Who knew that existed on our community flag poll.
Speaker 5: I don't even know what that hashtag.
Speaker 4: Stands for, so essentially menstrual equity means I don't know the same menstrual rights for everyone, including of course trans women.
Speaker 5: That's where they're going with this.
Speaker 4: Well, the twitter sphere was popping with rage. These tweets will make you laugh. Women assist wrote, for whom do you want menstrual equality? You've managed to erase us females in this post. Half of the population, the women and girls who men straight. JK Rowling, who is absolutely based when it comes to this topic, also chimed in. She said people who men straight. I'm sure there used to be a word for those people. Someone helped me out woman wimpun womud. Some guy online wrote, you guys should do this one same mom. I mean, these fascical nature of this kind of nonsense that a city council anywhere in the world thinks this is worth lighting up their buildings for when we've got like bombs dropping, we've got any number of issues happening in our world. This is the cause that you want to take up trans men who, according to you, menstruate and they need menstrual equity.
Speaker 3: Is that the stigma around periods that they're talking about to.
Speaker 5: Think that Goodness knows.
Speaker 3: That men who menstruate face stigmatization.
Speaker 5: They need the equity.
Speaker 2: Look that there are some days I just wake up and I'm like, can you just fire me into the sun astroid? If I lived in British Columbia, in the city of Victoria, I'd certainly be saying that right now. I'd just like to know what the period flag looks like. If anyone knows what it looks like, please write to me, because I've never seen it in my life before. After the break, we'll get into the papers, and sticking on the theme of dodgy councils, we'll tell you about the mayor who.
Speaker 1: During his campaign he blamed it on concussion.
Speaker 3: Who knew.
Speaker 2: After break, all right, let's get into some good old fashioned council bashing. Liz, you've got the courier mark, the Courier mail.
Speaker 4: It's not going to disappoint when it comes to council bashing. Mayor.
Speaker 1: I lied to the voters, tell us more.
Speaker 4: Townsville's embattled mayor is facing fresh allegations of deception, conceding he misled voters on his education, business now and army career, blaming quote one hundred plus end quote concussions for his poor memory. So this guy, Troy Thompson has apologized to veterans for embellishing his military service on national TV no less, and he's now admitted that he never finished university, despite the fact that before.
Speaker 5: The election he claimed to have two degrees. So he was concussed. You got, I mean on.
Speaker 3: Concussion doesn't make you forget things. It inserts false memories, clearly does. Clearly ninety nine you only get one university degree? Got true.
Speaker 2: I didn't know that delusions of grandeur were a known symptoms like total recall after one hundred concussions.
Speaker 1: How is the dude even able to.
Speaker 5: Stay if anyone's believing that one hundred can.
Speaker 2: Surely surely he's lied again either he is the unluckiest footy player of all time. Like, I don't think even Polypharmer when they cut his brain open after he carped it and they found he had CT, I don't think even he would have had one hundred concussions from back in there.
Speaker 3: Actually, I've just got some breaking years. The mayor has just issued a second statement clarifying that he now says it was in fact fifty concussions. He misremembered it because he had twenty five.
Speaker 2: The fact that and this is the quality of people get elected to go yeah right, yeah, because you have I don't know what the arrangements are up in Queensland, whether it's compulsory voting or not, but you just get these.
Speaker 3: Culsory for it.
Speaker 1: Compulstery. Well, actually that would be a better excuse.
Speaker 2: Actually if he just said, look I had a few too many four xes, I forgot what was going on. I was drunk at the time, that would actually be totally believe.
Speaker 3: I also out of my mind at Uni. I don't even know if I got my degree.
Speaker 1: Might believe we do.
Speaker 3: Now onto a real newspaper. No, Corey is good. The Daily Telegraph, the Mighty Daily Telegraph in Sydney, I say that with all the impartiality of Laura Tingle, but it has gone with ditch him. I wonder what that could mean by that. Albows and z deal on crim's piles on pressure to dump Giles dragged into a visa debacle with accusations he prioritized the wishes of New Zealand over Australian's safety. Anthony Albanesi is under increasing pressure to embattled Immigration Minister Andrew Giles. The Prime Minister has rejected claims he was lobbied by former New Zealand leader Sindra Adern to put in place a migration directive. It spared dozens of foreign criminals from deportation, but the coalition has argued someone in government still has to quote pay a price for the debacle. The golden rule of politics. Someone has to go. They need a dead body. Make sure it's not yours. Sam Giles, off your guard.
Speaker 1: He ought to go. I mean he has to go.
Speaker 2: As I said on Credlin earlier this evening, you know, it started out as a joke and then it became a sick.
Speaker 1: When was it a joke? And now it is beyond a joke?
Speaker 4: When was it?
Speaker 2: Because and the only problem with sacking Giles, which needs to happen.
Speaker 4: Is that there's that's one problem.
Speaker 2: But the Prime Minister was inextrictly linked to this decision being made, so he can sacrifice the man, but he doesn't change the nuts and bolts of the thing.
Speaker 3: Is the PM can say, listen, can you just put in a thing saying, you know, telling you know, people to take ties to Australia into consideration, right, And that's a pretty reasonable thing to do in assessing any visa cancelation of visa.
Speaker 4: Normally talking about criminals, no, I don't care if you're founding.
Speaker 3: This is the thing they all they had to do was do by Albo has since said they're going to do it. We'd say, but no, no, no, that doesn't apply to people who are rapists or domestic abuses or killers or whatever. And again it reminds me of when my mum we had we had these two kittens who had found a little spot in our backyard and one had come in and we called him Midnight. He was a very brave one. We later called him I think, yeah, the Midnight. And then there was another kitten that was much more shy, and my mom said to my mum's special friend Don, can you we need to catch we need to catch the other. We need to catch the other kitten. Is you think of a way to catch it? And Don goes, yeah, leave it with me, Chris, if sort it out, blah blah ahah. And so next night she goes, how are you going, you know? And Don goes, yeah, I've set up a trap for it. It's right here. What do you think? And my mum looks at it and it's like a It's like a death trap. It's like a snare because Don, we just want to we just want to capture and take it in. We don't want to kill it. And Don says, well, Chris, you should have been more specific. And it's like, who assumes that you want to kill a kitten? Well that's the thing like that says oh yeah, Prime Minister, I'll go and do that. And he goes off and says that, you know, ties to Australia is more important than than gim me criminal activity. And that is what it says. I went and actually looked at the thing. It actually says your ties to Australia have to be prioritized. I were dealing with Yeah, insane.
Speaker 2: Well, look anyway, I'm glad we've heard about your mum's special friend Donny.
Speaker 3: We never got that other kid.
Speaker 1: He travails with the pussies.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Australian now where it says tomorrow, UNI Sydney loses its faculties. Professor teaches hamas mass rapes were a hoax.
Speaker 1: I was going to say, can you believe it? But you can believe it.
Speaker 2: A University of Sydney professor has told first year students that Hamas's mass rapes and sexual violence on October seven were fake news and a hoax peddled by the media, and that Israel had engaged in ethnic cleansing propped up by Western governments that had quote repressed domestic descent. Now yet again it's the University of Sydney Mark Scott, who by the way, used to run the AVC.
Speaker 1: Where are you?
Speaker 2: It is insane obviously what has happened after he had all the encampments and whatever. These academics, dopes, but anyone, they just feel like they can do whatever they want. Mark Scott has been so hands off that they feel like they are untouchable and now they can just speak blatant untruth. I mean, for God's sake, when even the UN acknowledges that sexual violence was perpetrated on October the seventh, surely you can understand that you're on the wrong side history.
Speaker 1: Woman.
Speaker 4: I'm reading, and I'm reading, and you can't find the part where she's been promptly fired for this.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: No, this is a problem. Promise. This is a massive headache for Mark Scott. He doesn't like it one little bit. He's not sanctioning this. The problem is.
Speaker 5: He doesn't like it one little bit.
Speaker 1: Put an end to it.
Speaker 3: Noxt No, No, the problem is legally, legally he would have great, great, great difficulty. I'd almost say he can't. There was another just crazy ass, crazy left wing academic who the Sydney University did eventually say right across the line, you're fired after he showed a swastika on top of an Israeli flag during a lesson. And guess what, he went went to court and got back in. And so even when someone does something like that, you can't get rid of mix to that. They say, well that was bad or it was man but it wasn't it. I know that this is what these people.
Speaker 5: But you're allowed to have an opinion.
Speaker 3: I mean she would would come back, I would say this is an opinion, this is the fact, and the mainstream Western evil media use outlets are covering it all up and not letting you know true. That's how cooked people have got it.
Speaker 4: And then you wonder why the UNI's under siege by these protesters and encampments. It's like, well, if you've been told this.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's right, and this is why we're breeding, and you breed out people. You know, you'll see them on Twitter saying the same thing. You know, people tweeting, you know, photos of the attacks as though these guys are heroic freedom fighters, or saying simply that you know, the babies weren't killed, or this is all just made up. It's nuts.
Speaker 1: To the front page of the Herald Sun.
Speaker 4: Before we leave this segment, pay up for Sins, the splash reads social media giants should be hit with a sin tax to pay for the damage they've done to Australian teams and to help fix platforms for future generations. That's the pitch to the Albinizi government from twenty seven mental health experts.
Speaker 5: I can't see the government running with that one.
Speaker 2: Well, hell, we're already paying sin taxes on alcohol and tobacco and everything else.
Speaker 1: Is share the fun, Share the fun. I'm sick of paying for it.
Speaker 2: Coming up after the break, we're going to show you did sit the dumbest court defendant ever. I used to be a court reporter, and I reckon this takes the case. After the break, Welcome back, Jill, you have a quick claim.
Speaker 3: I do breaking news. Josh Freedenberg himself has actually just texted me. Apparently the full bench of the Federal Court overruled the court decision that reinstated the dodgy Sydney Union academic and put the swastika on the Israeli flag and back Sydney Union's decision to sack him. So if I can sack him, I can suck.
Speaker 2: Her common sense, can ray? Now take a look at this fella. He's in Michigan in the US. He's got a court date for driving offenses. He does not have a license. Watch the proceedings and tell me if he spots something wrong.
Speaker 3: Mister, are you driving, Ashley? I'm pulling into my doctor's office, actually so, so I'll just give me one second. I'm parking right.
Speaker 1: Now, your howner.
Speaker 3: We are specially requesting in a German in this matter, up possibly two to four weeks at the court would allow.
Speaker 10: So maybe I don't understand something. This is a driving one license suspended. That is correct your enter and he was just driving and he didn't have a license.
Speaker 3: I don't even know why he would do that.
Speaker 10: So defendant's bond is revoked. In this manner, defendant is turned himself into the Washington kind of deal by six pm to day. Failure to turn himself in we'll result in the benchmark with no bond.
Speaker 2: Honestly, you know my days of court reporting, I don't think that has ever been or ever will be taught.
Speaker 3: Well, try this, I might of mine. Was once light to a court appointments. He was hanging down the ride. An orange light came on at the intersection just before the courthouse. He thought, right, I'll just quickly go through it. I'm running late for my hearing. I've got to get there. Car in front of him breaked to stop. The light, swerved, clipped the car in front of him, flipped onto his roof. Everyone runs out, So are you okay? You okay, You're okay? He flings over the door, and he says, the way out of the way. I'm late, I'm late, I'm late quick. I've got to get to court. I've got to get to court. And they said, what are you in court for? And he has dangerous driving.
Speaker 1: You're not just sorry. I never know which Joe I thought it was. It wasn't don your Mum's special free.
Speaker 3: There was another friend of ours called mister Smith. Mississippi changed his name, but he's now called Matthew Smith.
Speaker 1: Oh my god.
Speaker 2: Well I know Liz has a few offenses driving offences to her name too.
Speaker 3: I am, but I am.
Speaker 1: I am a clean skin.
Speaker 2: Anyway, that's all for us this week. I thinks the riad of band show good.