Speaker 1: Jason, Lauren j Eminem just go on twenty past days right across Melbourne. It is Jace and Lauren Cleans here from the newsroom as well, and we thought it'd be good to get some athletes on before they head to Paris so we can put in duty free order.
Speaker 2: Our next guest is one of the toughest athletes around. He's got a pro boxing record of three zero and is an Olympic medalist. Off the air, Jace was saying he can take him. So everyone, welcome to the show. Harry Garside and also Harry, here's the bell. We're looking for a knockout.
Speaker 3: Let's go bring it on. Jay, Good morning, Good morning guys.
Speaker 4: Where are we talking to you from? Are you in Paris yet for the Olympic?
Speaker 3: I leave for Europe on Monday, so I'm currently in Brisbane and I just got a pack of my bags yesterday, so it's getting really really close.
Speaker 2: Okay, so just one pack for an Olympic Games.
Speaker 3: Uh because boxing, obviously I packed like essentral for me. It is the stupidest things hydraul like obviously Australian chewing gum chewing gum suck. I don't know abou anyone else, but I can't stand it.
Speaker 1: Really lush.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I really need an extra extra, really get to being.
Speaker 5: Really the extra.
Speaker 1: What about I don't mind a bit of p k oh No, what's.
Speaker 5: What's you go to gum?
Speaker 4: Harry for grain? What is that?
Speaker 3: I don't even know what the favorite green pepper or the.
Speaker 5: Green guy controversial?
Speaker 3: Right?
Speaker 5: Well, anyway back to the Olympics.
Speaker 2: We're gunning for gold.
Speaker 5: That's all you pack hyd.
Speaker 3: And pretty much to boxings a central of course.
Speaker 5: Have you got a pair of board shorts for European summer?
Speaker 3: A k post Paris at least almost speeder a speedover? You love the Tony Abbot speedo? Man, yeah, I do love that.
Speaker 1: I bet you look very different than Tony Abbott and Speeder.
Speaker 2: Twenty nine sleeps until the opening ceremony, Harry.
Speaker 1: That means you'll be shocked up at the athletes village, right.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, mate, I'm very excited to get in there and be around the other Aussies and it's pretty it's pretty exciting to be within a month now.
Speaker 1: Because I was going to say that is that hard boxing sort of a solo sport? Do you know what I mean? And then you're sort of going into like this sharehouse situation. Is it hard to keep focused in your mind right for the fight?
Speaker 3: It's interesting, I think. I think it's exciting. You have this like thrill of being around other athletes and other high performance, but of course it is absolutely distracting you sort of. There's a lot of energy and a lot of noise going on, but it's one of those things like you just try and embrace it and enjoy it. But yeah, you're also got to like make sure you take into account, like your performance is the most important thing, so making sure you're packing like you bug.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and I mask know you're sharing a room, right, You're not sharing surely?
Speaker 3: Now we share every usual or we did in Tokyo, and I'm pretty sure it's true to a room in Paris.
Speaker 4: Even on sweet or is it like a hostel situation where you have to wear thongs in the shower because so many people it's you.
Speaker 3: I think it's just assis in there, so it's not other. It's just not in other countries. But yeah, you'd be sharing with Alban most likely sharing with other boxes. So I know the boxes pretty well. It's not too bad. They're like family, But it's it's the living conditions in there, Like you think it might be amazing, but it's it's pretty stock standard sort of.
Speaker 5: Stuff, pretty basic.
Speaker 2: Hey, Harry, preparation, Just be careful because it's twenty five past eight and kids in carts and stuff. But have you done the bonk band thing again?
Speaker 3: I have, mate, It's the first couple of weeks were pretty challenging. I think. I'm like, I think it's like week four, week five. Now it's been been a while, so I'm sort of through it now, Like you're sort of exhausted from training that you don't really think at it too much. But I'm sure postal and bigs'll be a bit of a bit of fun going on.
Speaker 5: Are you single? You figure a partner? Are you single?
Speaker 3: I'm a single man, But I think it might be a pretty short performance after having a few.
Speaker 2: Is that to heighten like testosterone levels?
Speaker 5: Why there's actually a technical SI.
Speaker 3: There's all these stories. Apparently it's all made up. Apparently there's a bit of a myths so you can get studies on both sides that agree and then disagree. So I'm also doing it for just mind control. Like we all have desires, we all want to like I'm cutting out coffee in the moment. We all want to drink coffee. We all want to go relieve ourselves and have some fun by ourselves. But the more that I can, I guess withstand that sort of stuff and restrain myself, I think I just feel more powerful.
Speaker 1: That's weird because my wife's put me one.
Speaker 4: I'm not going to I was about to say, maybe I need to all training for the Olympics, the boxing.
Speaker 1: I'm like, I ain't going to Paris.
Speaker 4: Harry, at what point do you start getting nervous or do you not get nervous?
Speaker 3: Oh, I don't know. I definitely get nervous right now. I'm nervous. There's like a whole cocktail of emotions that you feel within a day, within a week, And I think there's just like as athletes, you put a lot of pressure on ourself and I love that, Like I love the feeling of being in my body and feeling nervous and also feeling extremely confident. It's exciting. I think I have just consistently my whole life chased things that make me feel very alive, and I think chasing on the gold medal has definitely made me feel very alive in my life, and there's been many other things that have helped me with that too.
Speaker 1: Harry, surely be a chance for the flag bearer, wouldn't it.
Speaker 3: I don't think so. Jess Fox is.
Speaker 2: Yeah, Kayaker now Harry Bronze in Tokyo which was twenty twenty or twenty twenty one because of COVID four years on, you've visualized yourself winning gold. Tell the guys about what you do with visualization and why you do it.
Speaker 3: So every morning I wake up, I meditate. I think it's like a really good way to start the day. You mean, it's the time of the day when my brain is the quietest, which is also quite nice. And then I spend ten minutes just visualizing myself and I try and visualize things that I can control. I think when people visualize, we often visualize things that are out of our control, Like you're visualizing sometimes the color of shorts your wearing, which is out of our control. But I can control what foot I use to step up on the podium. I can control the action of how I duck as someone puts the metal on my neck. I can control those motions, but I can't control a lot of things, like the color that I'm wearing. I can't control the hand that the referee lifts my hand with. I can't control that sort of stuff. So the things that I can control, I try and visualize. And it's really nice. There is some days that you can really see those visuals in your brain. I think when you feel really connected to it, you can really see it. So it is nice. And yeah, yeah throughout the day as well, I have about like ten alarms and go off and have to try and do like a little minute visualization of standing on top of the stadium. So that's amazing.
Speaker 1: So you can be in the line down at Combank and your alarm goes off and you're like you just sit there with your eyes closed and imagine the metal.
Speaker 3: Yeah, if you see me driving and my eyes are closed.
Speaker 1: The alarms just go off.
Speaker 2: Harry, Harry love this show and we can't wait the three of us and Melbourne because he's a boy from he's a boy from the East Belgrave Harry.
Speaker 5: First week or second week billing pixel for two.
Speaker 3: Weeks he goes to old Time. That's pretty is exciting.
Speaker 1: Hey, Harry, can you be a favor? Can you can you make sure our boy Clint comes home in one piece.
Speaker 5: Yeah, he's going to Paris too, Harry.
Speaker 3: Of course, I just heard a couple of our good mates Clint are coming over to that.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Harry, if Clint gets in trouble, can he call you? He sorted out than Clint try and do it himself.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll probably be right.
Speaker 5: Side. Good luck, we'll all be rooting for you.
Speaker 1: Have a safe flight and good luck for Paris.
Speaker 3: All right, thank you, guys, Go get him.
Speaker 5: He's a great guy, isn't he.
Speaker 1: I love how focus to years as well. That's a really good way thinking about it, things that you actually have control over.
Speaker 4: I love that he said his mind so still in the morning. I was thinking maybe I should do that ten minutes of MENO take my mind is not still in the morning. I'm in panic mode from the second that alarm goes off into a second I get in.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I'll tell you what was really sad When he goes oh you know it's hard. I'm on week four.
Speaker 5: I'm like, that's a bad.
Speaker 1: In the park. It's just gone.
Speaker 5: You'll live a Harry about la Jason Lauren wake up feeling good on nover one hundred Jason Lauren holy Good on socials.
Speaker 2: H