Speaker 1: Apodjaye Production.
Speaker 2: Welcome back to the Chills, the Spooky Story Podcast. It's hard to believe unless, of course, it happened to you. If you want to share a story, you can email us at the Chills at podshape dot com, where you can DMUs at the Chills pod. Today's story was sent in by Die Peterson. Now Die didn't want to come on the podcast herself, but she was happy with us sharing her name and her story.
Speaker 3: Our ghost encounter took place around nineteen eighty two. We were twenty one years old at the time, in the summertime in Victoria.
Speaker 2: So we've had an actor read Die's detailed email to us.
Speaker 3: A group of five of us dropped into the Clarkfield Hotel just for one drink before going to a twenty first party at a farm property twenty minutes down the road.
Speaker 2: Now the Clarkfield Pub no longer exists. It's changed its name and became the Coach and Horses. But if you put it in Google, or better still, into YouTube, you know that this story didn't just happen to Die. Let me give you some background on the hotel. It's on Station Street and it's a beautiful two story bluestone building on the border of the Hume Rangers, and it was built in eighteen fifty seven. Back then before morgues and police stations were built. If a dead body was discovered in a country town, hotels like the Clarkfield would keep the corpse in the cool room. Let's go back to Die's story.
Speaker 3: At around nine pm, we entered the old bluestone Clarkfield Pub. No one else was in there except the barman. Halfway through our first drink, my friend Kristen and I asked the barman where the toilets were. He kind of hesitated and then said to go through that black door and the female toilets are down the hallway on the left. The hallway was dimly lit. We walked into the old black white bathroom and we were amazed that this place looked so old, but nicely painted and well kept to its original state. Anyway, after going to the bathroom, we decided to walk up the stairs as we thought this old pub had character. We just wanted to check it out, and at that time we never knew or heard rumors the pub was haunted, otherwise we would have bypassed it. Anyway, we opened the first door above the stairway and went into the small dining room for a sticky beak. We left the door ajar, but then we heard it close on its own behind us. At that stage we thought nothing of it. We both continued looking at the old antique furniture and picking up some of the ornaments neatly placed on the fireplace and the dining table. Then one or two minutes passed, all of a sudden, a freezing cold sensation entered the room. It felt like this strong coldness went right through our bodies, and the room felt very strange, with the heavy presence of something. No breeze, just freezing cold. Without any hesitation or communication, my friend and I just bolted out of the room at the same time. As we approached the stairs, we both felt this presence full force push us down the stairs. Our feet could hardly keep up with us, so we scrambled down the hallway and back to the bar. We told our friends, let's get out of here, as something strange happened upstairs. For many years afterwards, I still couldn't put my finger on what occurred that night, though I felt we had a very real and very strange, angry ghosty experience. And then one day, sitting in a GP office, I picked up a women's weekly mag and on the middle page they had a two page spread all about the haunted Clarkfield Pub. It gave me chills and the hairs on the back of my neck stood up, and that confirmed my ghost theory encounter. A few years ago. I googled the Clockfield Hotel and then watched a couple of YouTube videos about the haunted pub. The hotel publican in the video was the same guy who served us our drink, and he had a very similar but worse experience than ours.
Speaker 2: After reading diace email, we went into the rabbit hole of YouTube and devoured lots of stories of what most called the most haunted place in Victoria.
Speaker 1: The historic bluestone parbered Clarkfield, forty kilometers north of Melbourne, has been haunted for as long as locals can remember.
Speaker 2: It includes the story of the old owner.
Speaker 1: So how long were you in the hotel before anything happened?
Speaker 4: Three days? Three days we were there and what happened? Well, we been working, uh, you know, trying to meet a few customers. Only the wife and I were there, no staff on and uh we'd worked you know, three to one o'clock in the morning, and uh went upstairs and popped into bed. I suppose it was about two o'clock. I heard, uh, you know, bottles rattling and glasses being moved, and I thought, oh, well, some of the locals, you know, he was just taking the hotel over a lot of country pubs that the locals walking and out when they feel like it. So I went to uh go down to investigator.
Speaker 2: Frankie claimed back in nineteen eighty four, he was pushed down the stairs by a force he couldn't see, just like Die and her friend.
Speaker 4: When I went to the hospital, they uh, they said it was impossible for me just to fall downstairs, that I would have had to fallen from a height, because I was shattered in three places and I had to have three steel pins and shirted. How long were you in country some crutches for seven months?
Speaker 1: Are you absolutely convinced that some supernatural force was the cause for them?
Speaker 4: Well, to start off with, I didn't think it was. Yeah, I didn't want to go to the hospital, say the ghost so throwing me down the stairs. It was the things that happened to me later on that convinced me that there was something there.
Speaker 2: There's also been sightings from other patrons and staff about a male person who was seen running down the stairs as if being chased by somebody. It said that this man could be a man called Patrick Reagan, who was robbed and killed in the hotel in the gold rush days. He was also said that he ran up and down the stairs while trying to escape from his attackers. They caught up with him the front of the building and shot him dead. There's also the story of a young girl who was between eight and ten years old who was killed and left in a nearby well.
Speaker 1: You'll see it's a nice country a country style, living country scene. It looks really nice at this stage at this time of the day.
Speaker 4: But at night time, if.
Speaker 1: You come up here, you just happen to be looking out here. I don't know what it is. It's maybe that well, there's a well down there, there's that tree there, But you get a very cold feeling. It just comes really chilly, blood chilling, and it comes all over your body and you just can't stand any longer. You just say, I can't explain why it is. Do you look through that window anymore? Not up the first three times name.
Speaker 2: N Lots of people have reported that when they visited the hotel with their own children, their children would tell them that a little girl was crying in the toilets, but there was no one there.
Speaker 4: The thing that frightened me the most I used to have my name called out at night, and this had happened two or three times a week. I'd get out of bed and think and wants to buy some beer after hours or something like that. You know, there'd just be no one there. And then one particular night, I was in bed in the room on my own, and the door opened and something, the presence of something was there, and the next thing of the leg and plaster and the hand, a hand came on my leg and started twisting it. And I grave hold of the crutches that were beside the bed and was yeah, I get away, get away. And it was not in darkness. It was in darkness anyway. I got up and I put the light on it, and the door was shut again, so I put the deadlock on it, hopped back in the bed, and the door opened, and that was it. I just lay there and going hot and cold.
Speaker 2: If you've got a story that could give us the chills just like die. Then send us an email at the Chills at podshape dot com or DMS on Instagram or TikTok at the Chills pod. See you next TIMEO