Speaker 1: Late General Man, welcome the Late to.
Speaker 2: Play well good evening.
Speaker 3: I'm James Macpherson with Liz Storer and Joe Hildebrand.
Speaker 2: Coming up.
Speaker 3: Left wing media around the world mourning the death of an Australian penguin. Why you ask, because it was an openly gay penguin. Apparently we'll talk about that later. Plus when we get to the papers, Australia to begin manufacturing missiles in Newcastle, and an indigenous rights campaigner claims that aboriginal sites should be considered every bit as sacred as Gallipoli. All of that in tomorrow's papers. Will look at that shortly. But first, Western governments, in their bid to reduce emissions, have set goals around how many evs they would like people to purchase by twenty thirty. Here in Australia, Chris Bowen said he wanted eighty nine percent of all new cars sales to be electric by the end of the decade. The problem, of course, is that most people don't want to drive what Chris Bowen wants us to drive, and so he had to hastily back away from that figure when a government report revealed the sales were on track to be less than a third of what Chris Bowen had hoped for. As a consequence, we've now got a glut of unwanted Tesla's stockpiling in Australian ports.
Speaker 4: Two thousand Teslas arrive here at Port Melbourne every month, but there's no buyers to take them home.
Speaker 5: All of a sudden, we've got a huge, a huge backlog of Tesla's that aren't moving. They've just stopped moving. Tesla's used to come into this country pre sold, these cars aren't. They're sitting here waiting for buyers.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: America is another country that set goals for how many electric vehicles they would like, and the Ford Motor Company were all on board with Joe Biden's plans until they realized no one that was buying there either, and so they've now scrapped plans for a much anticipated electric suv. Talking to The Australian, the Ford's chief financial officer, John Lawler said, based on where the market is and where the customer is, we will pivot and adjust and make those tough decisions, which is a nice way of saying we've given up on the government's goals. Interestingly enough, the article goes on to say that Ford shares rows one point five percent in response to the announcement they weren't going to produce the electric suv.
Speaker 2: And maybe the next part of the.
Speaker 3: Article gives us a clue as to why get this. Ford has said its EV business is on pace to lose about five billion dollars this year. In the three month period ended in June, the automaker lost about forty four thousand dollars on every electric vehicle that it sold. Liz, isn't this just proof that the government are terrible when it comes to picking winners and losers. Socialism has proved to us you shouldn't let the government dictate what people have to buy.
Speaker 6: Are you coming around?
Speaker 4: Are you starting to say don't trust the government?
Speaker 6: Am I rubbing off on you?
Speaker 3: I mean I switched and change depending on the top.
Speaker 4: Of These numbers are not surprising, but it's been this way for a very long time. July, since July last year, the stats showed July this year hybrids are up sales in Australia by over eighty eight percent. Over the same time period, They're only up six point six percent if we're talking about evs, and yet that didn't stop Chris Bowen coming out earlier this month and saying we're doubling our funding to the driving the Nation's scheme up from two hundred and twenty five million to No, actually it was they've doubled it from two fifty million to five hundred million, because he's like, well, if we just build the infrastructure, if you build.
Speaker 6: It, they will come.
Speaker 4: But the market has consistently said quite some time now the people simply aren't buying evs.
Speaker 6: They're not buying evs. They're not desirable cars.
Speaker 4: For whatever reasons, whether they're too expensive, whether the infras structures not in place, whether they're reliable or not.
Speaker 6: I mean, how many funny.
Speaker 4: Stories have we been told about people just being stranded.
Speaker 6: Because there's not charging there's not charging us.
Speaker 3: Well, I think Chris Bowen's board an EV either isn't it a taxpayer funded one that he's driving.
Speaker 4: Oh well, it's still an EV we just had to pay for it.
Speaker 6: So he's a man of conviction.
Speaker 4: No, But regardless of which angle that you look at it, the government's plans simply aren't viable. And in fact, if you trace this back to when they first were looking at this policy pre election, it wasn't viable then it was always pie in the sky stuff. And yet the Aussie taxpayer is still trying to build what looks like even if they did build, it would be completely useless because the market says, no.
Speaker 1: Yeah, well it's true. Just the Soviet Union, I think that. I mean, the story here is one of ideology over pragmatism. And this is and when I was running the series for News, the Mission Zero series for News, this was something I came up against again and again and again, which is people saying, no, it has to be all electric, it has to be one hundred percent renewable, or we're not. We don't want any of it. And it was the most insanely frustrating time and my life, apart from maybe the Voice campaign, but that's another story. I'm still recovering from that. But we just had these people who were just just stubbornly banging their heads against the wall, acting completely contrary to their own best interests, in acting completely contrary to the country's best interest. And so you saw it firstly with gas. So they said, okay, we can't have any gas because even though and they would lie about this and say gas is just as bad as call. That is an absolute lie and demonstrably false. But anyway that would say, oh, no, gas is just as bad as call. We can't have gas or call. Anything that produces any CO two is evil as bad. We can't have that. It has to be all renewables. So as a result, what happened, well, gas was written out of the mix while we were waiting for coal to come down, and it had to be all renewables. But of course when the Sunday and shine and when didn't blow, we had to rely on that pre existing base load power. And what was it powered by? Not gas but by coal, which is almost fifty one hundred percent worse than gas. So as a result of this perfection or nothing, it's perfect, not good policy, it actually produced more emissions, more emissions. And again we've got the thing where they don't want to entertain hybrids because of course hybrids do still produce some emissions. And the number one reason I can guarantee you that people don't buy evs it's range anxiety, which is something I used to suffer from in my youth. But you get a pill and you can I perform just fine now, But it is it is the fear that. And again it's not as big a problem in Europe obviously, because you know there is no outback in Europe, but you know, you know you can. There are stories of people doing the city in the Bevelburn drug there's just absolute horror shows an electric vehicle. So you know if you're in a hybrid that even if the electric motor completely packs up, at least you've still got that back up. And of course even if you're in the middle of nowhere, you can always stop at a petrol station and you know you can get from point A to point B. If you don't, if you don't have absolute confidence that you can get from point A to point B, you will not buy that Carques no way.
Speaker 3: My question is how on earth can the Ford Motor Company sustain a five billion dollar a year loss on their electric creditor vehicle.
Speaker 1: It just gives you an idea of how huge this company is and how Yes.
Speaker 3: But it must be sustained by the sale of internal combustion engine vehicles. That's what would be propping it all up. So one is paying for the other.
Speaker 4: Yeah, until the board meets and they're like, actually, we're pulling the plug.
Speaker 6: This simply isn't financially viable to.
Speaker 4: North Carolina now, where Trump has done his first outdoor rally since the assassination attempt on his life. But this time he's got a perspex enclosure, which of course is bullet proof. Does this mean that the shooter, any shooter or hopeful shooter, would just have to come from behind because you're not.
Speaker 3: There's nothing, it's the only place they could come from.
Speaker 2: It's on three sides.
Speaker 4: Or you could just wait until drump leaves the enclosure, as he did, therefore kind of defeating the whole point of the process, and I'm sure curling his secret service as his hair in the process. But he wanted to go check on a lady who had passed out from the heat in the crowd.
Speaker 7: Take a look, Ah.
Speaker 4: The man will know and love, especially Joe. Joe absolutely loves Donald.
Speaker 1: It was amazing. I didn't know he was a faith healer. That's incredible. Like Jesus, image is just growing, but it is brilliant optics is my first thought when I realized that Donald Trump was doing his first outdoor rally behind the perspects the bulletproof glass. I thought it's not great for his image. I know, yes, it means he's less likely to be shot and killed, and so I get the reasoning. But Trump is, of course the man who's fearless, the man who fears no bullet, who no bullet can fall. And then he's behind this glass and so you can guarantee that while I'm sure, you know he holds a medical degree from you know, Harvard University, and while I'm sure he can heal people with his hands, the reason why he would have gone out there was just to show that he wasn't afraid, it wasn't loud, and that he's still, you know, the man of the people, who moves among the people no perspects class is going to keep between men. Think, although it is very COVID safe.
Speaker 3: I don't think Trump is afraid of a shooter. I think Trump is afraid of the Secret Service because that glass enclosure is an admission by the Secret Service. We can't keep you safe, so we better surround you with bulletproof glass.
Speaker 2: But people love Trump for that.
Speaker 3: The fact that he went out from that went down to the crowd, especially when at the same time at the DNC, all they've talked about is Trump, and one of the things they keep claiming is that Trump is self serving.
Speaker 2: All he cares about is himself.
Speaker 3: Well, the best way to knock that on the head is to walk out from behind the bulletproof enclosure down into the crowd, to mingle with people risking your life speaking of the DNC and speaking of the DNC.
Speaker 2: Speaking of Trump, Trump knows where that's at. And have to listen to what he said.
Speaker 1: That charade that they have going on.
Speaker 8: They mentioned my name I think two hundred and seventy one times. They mentioned the economy, like twelve times. They mentioned the border.
Speaker 1: Maybe none.
Speaker 7: They don't talk about the border.
Speaker 8: Our Great Borders doesn't talk about the border. But they mentioned me more than any other category.
Speaker 2: I'm now a category.
Speaker 7: They had me down today as a category.
Speaker 6: That's all they talk about Trump. We've driven them crazy.
Speaker 8: They have Trump derangement syndrome.
Speaker 3: Lizz, He's not wrong. I've watched a bit of the DNC. I know you've watched a lot of the DNC. Very much of the d spare Joe and either Trouble and I mean Donald Trump has been the number one thing they've spoken.
Speaker 4: About one I mean, they barely make sense, like you watch these speeches It's the most low IQ conference of any description I've ever watched in my entire life.
Speaker 6: They're all talking, but they're not saying anything.
Speaker 4: Half the time they pause, the crowd is waring, clapping maniacally, and you're just like, what did.
Speaker 6: You even say? What does that even mean?
Speaker 4: And they have talked about him obsessively.
Speaker 6: And the funny thing is.
Speaker 7: Clearly it doesn't occur to any of the.
Speaker 4: Attendees there that the Democrats have been in control of the White House for the last out of the last sixteen years, twelve years, and yet everything is Donald Trump's fault. Everything is Donald Trump's fault.
Speaker 6: How do you explain all of the.
Speaker 4: Problems that are going to be solved by the next administration if you'll just re elect them again when they've been in power for the last three and a half years. It's completely nonsensical. I don't know whether they've hired a crowd, but.
Speaker 6: These people are just swallowing it all.
Speaker 4: It's all about the vibe, it's all about the hype and literally zero substance. I keep listening for it, I keep waiting for it. Maybe they're going to roll out some pollt nothing.
Speaker 3: It's one of the funny things about Kamala Harris. She's at the DNC, you know, and her supporters saying if she's elected, she's going to do this, She's going to fix that. It's like, you've been the vice president for the last four years.
Speaker 2: What were you doing?
Speaker 3: Oh, that's right, she was working on the border down south. Donald Trump, however, he's got some ideas about what he will do if he wins the election, including how he will dewoke the military have listened to what he says.
Speaker 8: Do you want to have a sex change or a social justice seminar, then you can do it somewhere else, but you're not going to do it in the Army, Navy.
Speaker 1: Coastcote now for space for US.
Speaker 8: Or the United States Marines.
Speaker 1: So I love that there's space for us. I just love that there's space for it. It's really I know, it's an absolutely thing. The interesting thing with the constant mentions of Trump is that it is a sign with a sign of a couple of things. Usually at this sort of tactic that an opposition would lose use against a government. So don't look at us, just look at that government that you hate. Look at that thing. So they're almost acknowledging psychologically that this is actually Trump's election to lose. I actually think now it's Karmala's election to lose, but that's another story. But that he's obviously so in their heads that they have to make it all about how bad he is, because of course they can't make it all about how good Karmala is. So it is literally they're trying the same thing that Joe Biden did in twenty twenty, which is, we don't want you to vote for Joe Biden. We just want you to vote against Donald Trump. And so you have all these people right from you know, Bernie Sanders Socialists to Mitt Romney Republicans, this massive political spectrum that literally includes every single person, every single cause, every single place on the spectrum except Donald Trump. And that's the coalition that they need to beat him, and that is what they're going for again. And it's kind of like what not that you know, Anthony Aberneze isn't the best Prime minister in Australia but certainly currently. But it's also what Labor I think, and is a misstep by Labor to try and just attack Peter Dutton and attack Peter Dutton and make him the bow, you man, and try and just eat by him. And sometimes it works, but most of the time it only works if everyone really hates the guy as much as you hate him, and that kind of you know, in twenty twenty two against Scott Morrison, that actually work, and so Scott Morrison loses the election without Labor really winning it. And so at the point being, if they are attacking Donald Trump this much, it is basically an admission that they their own candidate is pretty weak.
Speaker 2: I think there's no doubt about it.
Speaker 1: Who has any doubt about that? Just said that about all about.
Speaker 6: The other guy.
Speaker 3: Yeah, let's talk about the d n C. It was day what three overnight show you a few of the things that happened. But let's start with Oprah Winfrey. She was a surprise guest at the d n C Star Speaker. She didn't say much, as Liz said, she talked long without saying much, and then she weirdly broke into song.
Speaker 6: Let us choose truth, let us choose honor, and let us choose joy together, Let's all choose come all her.
Speaker 3: Liz I got to say how much preferred Oprah Winfrey when she was giving away cause, but what on earth is joy?
Speaker 6: I'm saying.
Speaker 4: So, this seems to be a new thing that they've coined, because when Bill Clinton got up to speak today, seriously, someone send me something to rejuvenate my soul, because this was seriously depressing.
Speaker 6: Day three.
Speaker 4: Anyway, they get Bill Clinton out and this was one of the first times I've heard it us but he referred to her as the president of Joy. Yeah, because she ain't the president of marce else except for all these.
Speaker 6: Hyped up vibes and don't we love her laugh? And so I think that is something that they're.
Speaker 4: Running with, maybe again trying to point out the difference between.
Speaker 6: Her and Trump.
Speaker 4: Trump being this gruff guy you don't often see, thinks Trump laughing.
Speaker 2: You had the nail on the head.
Speaker 3: Her cackle, which has been a subject of great ridicule for the last couple of years. They've turned that into no, no, it's not an embarrassing cackle.
Speaker 2: It's joy.
Speaker 4: And the previous day when her husband got up to speak and told their get together story again, nothing about policy, nothing about running the government, why she should be the next president of the United States of America.
Speaker 6: No, it was just all.
Speaker 4: About this lovely, heartwarming fearly story about how they got together, and he made a point of saying how much he loved her laugh and how that was one of the first things that appealed to him and made him really sweet on her. I would love to see you find that many people to agree. But of course this entire conference is just the vibe. So everyone's just like togetherness and niceness and awesomeness like I did it.
Speaker 2: Joe Biden was like, it's like.
Speaker 3: All joy in the angry old man and yelling and sneering, and yet.
Speaker 4: At the same time trying to convince everyone. They said, I'm angry at everyone for making me step down, but.
Speaker 1: I'm not angry.
Speaker 2: We're all like, yeah, okay, it is amazing.
Speaker 1: And you're absolutely right. They are going with the vibe because there is no kind of cogent, intellectual or policy argument for cul I mean that the policy argument is where people right now. And the problem these lunkheads mate, these people who just get stars in their eyes anytime they see a Democrat and open one of them, is that no normal person feels joy for politicians. No normal person feels euphoria because someone is a presidential candidate or someone is their local MP and they certainly don't feel it in the middle of a cost of living crisis. So the idea like the optics of Oprah a multi multi millionaire. In fact, I think a billionaire possibly getting up and saying, you should feel happy for Karmala. You should feel joy and happiness and love for Kamala Harris because you just should. Is exactly what Hillary Clinton did when it was with I'm with her. You know, you should vote for Hillary Clinton so that she can smash the glass ceiling and fulfill her lifelong dream to become the first female president of the United States. And people are like, I'm busting my nut here, I'm busting my guts. You know, they've just shut my car family, you know, the just to shut my car factory and moves it to Mexico. You know, Trump's out there at the rallies. You know Hillary, where was she? She was hanging out with Beyonce. Now you've got Kamala hanging out with Oprah. This is a terrible look. Like whoever is saying this is a good idea of making the exact same misact, I still don't know if it's going to hurt that much, but it is just nuts. But one person I did love at the DNC was this next guy is Bexa County Sheriff Haabier Satasah.
Speaker 6: Satis for the NAMA line.
Speaker 1: It's fantastic. But just you think he sounds good, wait till you see him.
Speaker 9: When Donald Trump comes down to Texas, stands next to officers and uniforms just like mine. He's not there to help us. Don't think that, not for a second. He is a self serving man. I mean, look like, just like when he killed the border bill, he just made our jobs harder.
Speaker 5: Now.
Speaker 9: Karmala, on the other hen has been fighting border crime for years. She's gone down to Mexico and work to stop the traffickers. And when the traffickers didn't stop, she put them in jail.
Speaker 1: Now in Texas, that is what they call your dress hat. You don't wear it for ropen steers. You wear that. That's you. That's your night hat, that's your evening wear hat. You wear it out. It's fancy, it's prestige.
Speaker 3: I think in Texas they called that big hat no cattle.
Speaker 1: Don't they all hat?
Speaker 3: No no horse is true?
Speaker 6: What a blatant lie.
Speaker 7: It was the.
Speaker 6: Texan governor who actually it.
Speaker 4: Got down to the mattresses with the Feds because he said, if you won't allow us to protect our border and stop these illegals from coming over, I'm going to take matters into my own hands. And it was these big fisticuffs between the Texan governor and the federal government who kept saying.
Speaker 6: No, no, so we're in charge here.
Speaker 4: You don't get to take control of your own border, and the Texan government governor rather, who was saying, well, you're.
Speaker 6: Not taking any control of it, so it is left up to us.
Speaker 4: And here's this guy saying, oh, Kambala has been doing an amazing job.
Speaker 6: Trump never did anything. They are out right lies.
Speaker 4: There's a few conservative commentators who are literally doing fact checks, so every day of the DNC they'll watch the whole thing and then create these fact checks, like it takes hours.
Speaker 6: For them to get through it all. But it is just lie after life.
Speaker 1: Almost it's almost not even that because it's so vague that it's actually difficult to pin down things. So this guy's obviously been sent out to disable the one issue they know is most harmful to them, which is illegal immigration on the southern border. Right, so you know this is as close as they get to actually talking about policy and talking about the criticisms of their key immigration policy. I have this guy out here again wearing the big hat, trying to look authentic. It doesn't look like a bloke who's actually standing sentry on the wall, does it. There's not much, there's not much to East Texas red clay on him. But he's there anyway. And and but what does he say? He says, you know, Kamala Harris has been protecting our border for years, like you can't even say the number of years.
Speaker 3: When the truth is, we know that the Democrats love illegal migrants, and so Steve Cortez, a commentator, he decided to grab a Venezuelan illegal migrant and take him along to the DNC because the Democrats love illegal migrants.
Speaker 1: This is Edward from Venezuela migrant invited it by the Democrat Party. He likes to come into the Democratic Convention. Yeah, I'm going to have to go to Daxon. Yep, what you mean? He needs credentials and permission to come in the wall. It's like a border will away. How you wanted to get to the convention. We figured that they would love to have a migan Venezuela.
Speaker 7: Come in.
Speaker 1: They said me, give me a credacials. So we're here to get the creditionals as anyone. You don't know, so you don't think there's a process in an application where he didn't have that on the boarder. This is Edlin. He's in Venezuela. He's a migrant.
Speaker 6: Democratic Party wants an handlet stream of migrants into America.
Speaker 1: So I'd like to go and meet his political friends, listen to the speeches and coming to the Democratic events where you're laughing. He's a lot of the United States without identification of permission. Can he come in to the DNC.
Speaker 3: I don't think the figures there's going to go right now really has forty five seconds been so powerful in making a point. You can get into America really easy, but try getting into the DNC.
Speaker 2: No chance at all.
Speaker 4: All of a sudden, the Democrats aren't so keen on illegal migrants.
Speaker 6: Why can't they come to your big party?
Speaker 4: They owe it to you that they're here, Democrats. No closed doors all round. But one of my most favorite moments from day three of the DNC was the Commerce secretary who name's Gina Romando, She's being interviewed here, and she's asked about what she thinks about the fact that, according to the gov.
Speaker 10: Men's own data, a million of the new jobs that the Biden Harris administration claimed to have created during their tenure actually don't exist.
Speaker 1: When you hear that, do you potentially think that the new numbers could be a liability for this campaign? Now, when I hear that, first of all, I don't believe it because I've never heard Donald Trump say anything truth.
Speaker 8: It is though, from the Bureau of liver I don't I'm not familiar with that.
Speaker 4: So it is not just Donald Trump. It is the government's own data. I'm not familiar with the bureau.
Speaker 2: She's the Commerce secretary. I'm not familiar with the employment numbers. It's just a lot of joy, just a lot of joy.
Speaker 1: One million and one jobs that have disappeared after that performance. That's absolutely terrible. I don't know about you guys, though, Whenever I go to the DNC, I like to make sure I get my right target demographic, because of course, you know, there's black men for Harras and black women Harris, white women for Harris, flying purple people leaders for Harris.
Speaker 2: So where would you be.
Speaker 1: I have three midgets and you know, snow white plus the guy on a chain somewhere out the back for Harris, I of course go to what my natural demographic is where I belong Hotties for Harris.
Speaker 11: I was at the Hotties for Harris party last day, which was the party a bunch of people went to, and it was like they had like all of these different sort of things. They had like mini golf where like you put you like go minigolf through like a.
Speaker 6: Ring of tampons and stuff. And then I went through.
Speaker 11: Then there was like a gumball machine and I was like, oh, let me turn the gumball machine and you know, maybe it's like a ringer say, and it was I have this.
Speaker 6: It was plan B.
Speaker 1: So I said earlier, this election is Kamala Harris's to lose. Why are they so desperate to lose it? Like why it being so weird and just crazy? Like who plays mini golf with tambons on your side?
Speaker 4: These guys have free visectomies and abortions going on in the car park of the DNC.
Speaker 6: You can't get well, I don't even want.
Speaker 4: To say weird because that's just outright degenerously.
Speaker 3: That's evil as far as I And just in case people missed it, she got an abortion pill.
Speaker 2: That was the award that she's won. The Plan B.
Speaker 3: The irony, of course, is that Kamala is the Democrats' Plan B. Donald Trump has just been on Fox and Friends warning about what America would look like if Kamala Harris is elected.
Speaker 2: Let's have a listen.
Speaker 8: These two people take it over. This country is finished. Well, he's a Marxist and that's where she's going to be. Open borders, no drilling. Our country will die.
Speaker 2: Well.
Speaker 3: I don't think there's much doubt about that, particularly the open borders. The Democrats have shown no appetite at all for closing that, and you wouldn't expect anything to change if the Democrats are reelected. Let's go to another topic that we've talked about a fair bit lately, and that is the issue of microplastics being ingested by people. Scientists around the world are particularly concerned after studies are showing tiny shards of plastic are increasingly being found in human organs from lungs, kidneys, reproductive organs, kidneys, and now would you believe it in people's brains. In fact, it's such a problem that scientists have told The Guardian it should be declared a global emergency. The National Institute of Health, how we already have one of those conducted twenty four autopsies and found that when they weighed these people's brains, zero point five percent of the weight of the brain was actually plastics. They told The Guardian, it's pretty alarming. There's much more plastic in our brains than I would ever have imagined or been comfortable with. I don't know how much more plastic our brain can stuff in without it causing some problems.
Speaker 2: Now.
Speaker 3: The last time they did such a study, according to The Guardian, was in twenty sixteen, and the amount of plastic in brains was half the amount shown by the most recent studies, which seems to indicate there's a lot more plastic in the environment but also being ingested or infused by human beings. They've done tests lives on animals and the effect of plastics, which found it causes cancer, impaired learning, impaired memory, and there's studies, according to the Guardian, that show that people with Alzheimer's who have died with Alzheimer's have had ten times the level of microplastics in their body ten to twenty than those without. So this is a major problem and it's starting to get real traction now.
Speaker 6: One hundred percent.
Speaker 4: And the fact that they found fifty more percent of fifty percent more microplastics in these brains as opposed to the brains that they tested just nine years ago in twenty sixteen, goes to show this is just a compounding problem.
Speaker 6: Like pfas, these plastics don't break down.
Speaker 4: They don't break down in the environment, they don't break down in your body.
Speaker 6: People are basically I liked it because the easiest way to understand this is.
Speaker 4: You are being microdosed with toxic chemicals on a daily basis.
Speaker 6: They're in your tea bags.
Speaker 4: They're in those popcorn things that we love to shove in the microwave and all it out.
Speaker 6: Yeah, that bag.
Speaker 4: That's how it gets its waxy consistency. That's how it can heat up so quickly cool down so quickly.
Speaker 6: The skin of.
Speaker 4: Lighter launching, that's pfas, there's pure Prefas, baby disposable coffee cups, the non stick cook pairs we use. It is literally we were talking about this earlier. This week, Sydney Water has come out and said, oh, there is PFAS in the water supply.
Speaker 6: We told you there.
Speaker 4: Wasn't, but turns out we actually finally tested for it and there is. So there's a reason why I keep saying this. The US say they spend up to two hundred and fifty billion dollars every year on the health side effects of.
Speaker 6: P fas in people's bodies.
Speaker 4: It's extremely toxic and with our ever growing world, we're just using more and more pfacts. Earlier generations did not have this problem. And now instead of governments cracking down on all the companies who are using these very liberally in products.
Speaker 6: They don't need two. I mean, it's the twenty first century. You meaning to tell me you don't know.
Speaker 4: How to make a tea bag without toxic chemicals in it. I don't believe you. But everyone in Australia can be extremely relieved. Here we are because we now have an inquiry in to peed bags the beginning of the free journey.
Speaker 6: It ends absolutely nowhere.
Speaker 4: And just to prove to you how important this is now to the Australian government, they have elected none other than Senator Lydia Thorpe.
Speaker 2: To chair this enquiry gonna be okay.
Speaker 6: Here's the statement that she put out.
Speaker 4: If it's somewhat reassuring, that's because obviously a staffer.
Speaker 6: Wrote it for her.
Speaker 4: These chemicals already affect every single person in the world, yet not enough is being done to manage our exposure to them and reduce the risks. P facs are the asbestos of the twenty first century. Great metaphor, but far more prevalent and far less understood. This committee has the opportunity to drive change that will protect and improve the health of every single person and the health of our waterways and country. To whoever wrote that, well done.
Speaker 6: This is better than nothing.
Speaker 1: How do you feel about the fact that you and lydia Thoughpe now have a overlab on this is your ven diagram.
Speaker 2: She'll probably reached out to work on her team.
Speaker 6: Well, I reckon.
Speaker 4: My five year old self could probably do a better job of sharing this inquiry and be more.
Speaker 3: Passionate with your thought, because it will give her something constructive to focus on.
Speaker 2: This is probably she does.
Speaker 4: Focus on it right, because it's no joke.
Speaker 2: Chemicals are colonized.
Speaker 4: Oh yeah, it's a micro AGGRESSI.
Speaker 1: Just yeah, I'm sure it's a strong indication of how seriously the government is taking this issue. Another serious issue is the Flying Kangaroo. Are you familiar with that little brand? It's gone really well recently and they lost their CEO. I think the Chairman's just going to stick around for a little while.
Speaker 4: My friend just lost their luggage yesterday in New Zealand. Flying Kangaroo lost her luggage. The ditch queens, what what is going on?
Speaker 1: But yes, just when you thought that the problems were all over, it turns out that the airline is in trouble for allowing too many people into the Chairman's lounge. The chairman, who may or may not be long for this world. His lounge, nonetheless is highly active, including containing approximately ninety three percent of our nation's parliamentarians. There was a little yarn in the Daily Mail to this effect. You know you can trust it if it's in the Mighty Male, he says, why you're being left to foot the bill as airlines Wine and Dine are entitled federal pollys in ultra exclusive VIP clubs now in a bow that is stretched about as long as the trip from Australia to New Zealand, They say that the fact that all these perks are being spent on pollies and other VIPs in the chairman's lounge, they will eventually, at some point indeterminately a bit like a Kamala Harris policy be passed on to the consumer, the passenger in the form of higher fair prices.
Speaker 4: Discuss there was nothing in this article to suggest how we are paying for this.
Speaker 6: How do you know that they just had profits?
Speaker 4: I mean, they made great profits, so I don't I don't believe that we went across the hire because these guys go to the chairman lounge.
Speaker 6: That is a nice little bribe. Well that's the way I see it anyway, that Quantus is handing.
Speaker 4: Out to these very powerful people. We've talked before about how the government seems to have a.
Speaker 6: Soft spot, shall we.
Speaker 4: Say, to Quantas when it comes to not allowing a certain other airline into the country, which would have been great for the market, would have been great for US, and the Australian government says no kibosh that that would be damaging to Quantis. Quantas also got bailed out during the pandemic. Poor old what's the one that just went down? Hasn't got a bailout.
Speaker 1: Yet there was Rex, Yeah, that's right, and before that there was BONDSA yeah, bonds.
Speaker 3: None of those guys get at either.
Speaker 2: By the way, ninety three impulse, aout, compass and set.
Speaker 3: Nine of our federal politicians are members of the Chairman's Lounge, but eighty percent of our federal politicians are members of the virgin equivalent, which is beyond. And yet no one ever talks about how that's a bad.
Speaker 1: Well, you know what, I got a gold Have you been to the I've never been.
Speaker 3: Hasn't a politician invited me in?
Speaker 6: Have you not been in there? No, I'm not.
Speaker 1: I'm a man of the people. I'm in the food court eating hungry jacks.
Speaker 2: I didn't think it was that. I guess it really, I thought it was. It's so talked up.
Speaker 3: I think I was expecting you know.
Speaker 6: I don't know the one I was in.
Speaker 3: I was like, I can understand why politicians would appreciate it, though, because could you imagine if you've got a politician sitting in the airport sort of terminal just with everybody else, every man and his dog would be lining up to either pat him on the back or kick him, And.
Speaker 6: So you are public servants, so they don't get patted on the back.
Speaker 7: Or I.
Speaker 1: Can telling people the best way to assassinate Donald drop. But now you say the best I would wake up politician.
Speaker 4: But the reason why Virgin hasn't been similarly scandalized in the papers about this is because the government hasn't been seen to do Virgin anything.
Speaker 3: Yeah, and I think it was less about the lounge and more about the chairman who was in charge at the time, because Ellen Joyce was highly political.
Speaker 2: I think the new chairperson.
Speaker 1: Here's the CEO, Richard Bloyder, I think is.
Speaker 2: The new CEO will be far less.
Speaker 1: But I kind of I had a Virgin. I was a member of the Virgin Gold Thing. I got my gold thing and I got it there. You know, I got it the hard way because someone came on studio tend and gave it to me. And then it's been good. I did everything I did my fly bys. I went the first choice liquor. I bought every single thing in that shop and got nothing. Now I'm but downgrade with silver. How's that justice, my parade? You've actually got a fly chairman's lounge from me. I'm in the mail room, boys, lounge.
Speaker 3: We're in a comfort Joe during the break. By the way, before we go to a break, a shout out to Merlin Clark. She's ninety four years old, told me the other day she watches every episode of.
Speaker 2: The Late Debate. I hope you're doing well.
Speaker 3: Merlin will be back in a moment with what's making news in tomorrow's papers. Welcome back. Well, let's take a look at what's making news in tomorrow's papers before we do. By the way, Joe, and you're kicking us off with a DLHI Telegraph. Yes, I've been listening to your podcast.
Speaker 1: You're the one.
Speaker 3: I don't know if other people are listening to it, but I got to say it's very good. You have Paul Murray the other week we did indeed and this logo award winner, load of award, wind.
Speaker 1: Of the gold, like we're the biggest man of the moment, Larry m We've got the inside store of how we won the goal, like all the little campaign tecks, what he actually really did on the Daily Sanes plus all the politics. So yeah, the real story with Joe Hildebrandt Reregat podcasts, everything you need to know answered and just just you don't need to listen to anything. Actually, this show and the last show and the real story with Joe held about, that's all you need to listen to. And the Daily Telegraph, which I'm about to tell you about right now. This story, the real story with Joe held around, this show and the Daily Telegraph, and I can get mother listen to your mother as well, that's very important. But yes, from Bay to the Daily Telegraph today. Thank you very much Jones for that shameless pug little Yan and I wrote the leader for It's fantastic. It's about a guy he went to his favorite cafe, his local cafe. He says the food there is so good that he just wolfs it down. He actually said, yes, I just did the breakfast so good the bakery I inhale it. And then one day he did actually inhale it. Oh he's and he's sucked in a bit of toast and he started choking, and he's and he's dying right like he's fully joking. Cannot breathe and he's pointing to like pointing to this point into that because he can't talk. And the cafe owner was not mean to be working, but just having to stop buying his way back from the gym. He springs out from behind the coffee machine. He thinks, oh my God, in the back of his head, I know he's got a brain aneurysm. And then he realizes, I know he's actually choking, and he performs that. He performs a Heimlich maneuver. And how do you know how to do it? I just did what they do in the movies.
Speaker 4: Yes, if someone was choking in a restaurant or cafe that I was at, I just feel like I know how to do it because we've all seen it so many times on the movie.
Speaker 3: I mean, I've had occasions where you get a bit of food stuck and for a split second, it's incredibly scary. I can't imagine what it would have been standing there thinking I Am going to die now.
Speaker 6: It's only terrifying if you're alone. Imagine if you will. Normally you're sat alone.
Speaker 4: At home one night, you're eating that toast, you start choking. You don't have a hope in heck, there is no one.
Speaker 6: What are you going to do?
Speaker 1: Dark place on the next door name.
Speaker 4: My brain thinks of these things. Okay, people, one train of thought. I have seven on four tracks.
Speaker 6: All the conductors are screen avoiding each other.
Speaker 1: So this is what about all the children in Africa who can't even afford toast?
Speaker 3: But this guy almost died on a piece of total almost direct.
Speaker 2: Let's go to the Castle.
Speaker 3: The Newcastle Herald, they've got exclusive story strike weapons to be built at New Williamtown Factory Missile Launch, reads the headline. The story says the Federal Government will build a missile factory on Newcastle Airport owned land.
Speaker 2: Minister for Defense, Industry and.
Speaker 3: Capability Delivery Pat Conroy is expected to announce today, so bear in mind this is tomorrow's paper, so this will be announced on Friday. That the factory will employ about one hundred people when operating and five hundred workers during construction. Now, the Australian Government is partnering with the Norwegian firm. The Federal Governments investing eight hundred and fifty million dollars in this project. They'll produce missiles and will be valued at two million dollars each with a range of seven two hundred and seventy five kilometers. They can be fired from land or This is a great thing for our country because obviously if we are in a war, there was a report in The Australian some months ago saying that if we were involved in a war, we would run out of ammunition. I think it was within a week of hostilities beginning. So the ability to manufacture our own munitions is kind of handy.
Speaker 1: Well. Paul Keating famously said that challenging China was like throwing toothpicks at a mountain, and that was actually our plan under the previous defense strategy. That is pretty much all we had. So this is fantastic.
Speaker 6: It's awesome if it ever happens. Like honestly, I.
Speaker 4: Read the government's declaration of this, the media release. It doesn't even name a date, not for the start, not for the finish. I mean, we know you never hit your targets, but at least pretend to make them to the front page of the Australia.
Speaker 6: Now first story is we've got so many. I'm spoilt for choice.
Speaker 1: We got our I don't see Managing director.
Speaker 4: Yes one for the fact check unit ABC's human shield claims Williams wanted him to stay. ABC Managing Director David Anderson has surprisingly resigned just one year into his second five year term, ending a tumultuous tenure in which the public broadcaster weathered heavy attacks on its editorial standards, experienced an alarming drop in its radio audiences, and faced internal unrest over allegations of racism and sexual harassment. So he's going to formally step down early next year.
Speaker 6: You'd think you'd just be glad to be gone.
Speaker 3: It was Laura Tingle who was calling him a human shield, saying that he was the punching bag for the ABC, and they've had quite a few problems while he was there. I mean there was the coronation Yich got huge criticism. There was Stan Grant to accuse the ABC of not properly defending.
Speaker 2: Him and looking after him.
Speaker 3: There were surveys of staff that found been one hundred had been sexually harassed one hundred and eighty sixty.
Speaker 1: So I've been accused of a culture of racism and sexual harassment. So the ABC is being attacked by the left for not being progressive and inclusive and enough of a safe space. It gets attacked by the left online for being two right wings. So insiders David Spears constantly monstered Lee's sales, absolutely monstered when she dared questioned Dan Andrews Lisa Miller from ABS and His Breakfast basically bullied off social media because people kept attacking or attacking or attacking and attacking it. So I feel sorry for David Anderson because you've got everyone else on the right, of course or conservative people saying this is obviously just a boring left wing love in which in a lot of cases it kind of is. But at the same time you've got all the people who claim to feel most passionate about the ABC accusing it. If you can believe this, and trust me, it is out there of being it being too right wing but lurching to the right. And so the poor guy I would have quit too. I would just go, you know what, f you all, He's got enough money to last in a lifetime.
Speaker 3: So one year into a new five year contract he's pulled up stumps.
Speaker 4: That's you know, you got to know someone's desperate to be out by that point.
Speaker 6: Otherwise you'd just be like, heck, I've got the contract.
Speaker 4: Or follow it through to the second headline on the front of the os axed mind site.
Speaker 6: Cultural significance of Gallipoli. I don't know about that.
Speaker 4: An Indigenous historian who helped spearhead a campaign that brought down the one billion dollar mcphillamy's gold project in central New South Wales, said the proposed MIND location should be treated with the same respect as the historical sites of Gallipoli and Battle of the Somme because of the cultural significance of the Frontier War was fought on the site in the eighteen hundreds. I mean, obviously, this is the person who spearheaded the attempt to get this MIND taken down.
Speaker 6: It was taken down. It's no longer going ahead.
Speaker 4: So she would say something anyone's definition.
Speaker 1: But I think the mainstream indigenous groups actually wanted to go ahead, like I think the local landcap if they did, wanted to go ahead. And she's just sort of some kind of fringe. I mean, maybe she knows something that no one else knows, but she's a kind of I think they describe her as a dissident, dissident voice in the thing. So it's very weird that kind of even the main official sort of indigenous bodies want this to go ahead. And yet just because someone said, oh no, actually I don't think I should, and that's it. A billion dollars worth of industry, economic investment gone.
Speaker 3: Yeah, comparing the site to Gillipli is not going to win any friends.
Speaker 6: Oh it clearly declares you're a nutter. Okay.
Speaker 4: Last headline, ETU two withhold rather one million dollars in ALP donations. The Electrical Trades Union will withhold more than one million dollars in political donations to the ALP for the next federal election. In Protestant labor legislating to force the CFMEU into administration and redirect money towards finding a potential high Court funding rather a potential high Court sharee to the legislation, Joe, your mates are in turmoil.
Speaker 1: Oh I know these are not my mates. ATU has flipped to the hard left. It was left all around the country except in New South Wales. That union then flip. These are the same people who walked out on elbow in the middle of his speech to the New South Wales State Labor Conference. They are traitors, They are trees and us ruts. They should be treated as such.
Speaker 3: All right, we're going to go to a break, but stick around after the break. The left wing media mourned the death of a openly gay penguin and a thief court after he stops mid robbery to read a book.
Speaker 2: It's coming up in a moment. Welcome back, all right, Liz story.
Speaker 3: You've got a hilarious story about a book thief in.
Speaker 2: Italy in Rome.
Speaker 4: He was there to steal stuff from a hotel room, got distracted by a book, and then got busted because.
Speaker 6: He couldn't put it down. The article reads the man, a thirty eight year old Italian, gained act access.
Speaker 4: To the building and the Delevatoria district from the balcony, but became distracted after seeing a book on a bedside table. However, the owner of the property, a seventy one year old man, woke up and confronted the burglar, who was reportedly sitting on a bed absorbed in the book.
Speaker 6: Of course, you want to know what is this book? How was it so incredible?
Speaker 4: The book is called The Gods at six the Iliad at apateef time.
Speaker 6: Is that how you pronounce apatheev?
Speaker 2: Sounds pretty good to me.
Speaker 6: I'm just not exotic enough. But it's about the Iliad from the point of view of.
Speaker 4: The gods, while highlighting the interpretive power of the epic work to understand current events.
Speaker 6: Not something that you would have thought would capture this burglar who was there to steal stuff.
Speaker 4: Is like, hang on a minute, the iliad interpreting modern day events.
Speaker 1: That sounds great. If I was I'd be exactly satan. But the first thing I thought of, how rapped would you be if you were the author of that book? I mean, that is going straight in the blurb, isn't it? Unput down the ball?
Speaker 3: Let him take it with him to the watchhouse, so we had something to do before we go. This story made headlines right around the world.
Speaker 2: Today. A Sidney penguin has died.
Speaker 3: Who cares you say, Well, this penguin was openly gay. The headline in the ABC read whereas I've lost it. Then the penguin known for same sex love story dies at Sydney Aquarium, aged eleven. Spen was hanging around one of the other male penguins quite a bit, and so the people at Sydney Sea Life Aquarium decided, well, the only explanation for this is that Spen and Magic, the other penguin, they must be gay, and so they coaxed them into pretending to hatch a dummy egg. Then they took a real egg, gave it to the pair, and having been taught what to do.
Speaker 2: They managed to hatch that egg.
Speaker 3: And so then the New South Wales Teachers Federation developed a curriculum around these gay penguins to teach kindergarten kid it's all about inclusive relationships. Will now spend The penguin has died and it's made headlines. What I loved was they said that these penguins were quote openly gay. Can penguins be in the closet or the freezer? As it was obviously openly gay. They made a choice to come out as gay, these penguins.
Speaker 1: It's not a black and white is shire.
Speaker 6: It's friends.
Speaker 2: You've got to go.
Speaker 3: That's it from us stick Around. Coming up is the Reader Penney Show.