Speaker 1: Today we're recording on Gadighul country and.
Speaker 2: We'd like to pay our respects to the traditional custodians of the Gati.
Speaker 3: Girl people, I know you've got to dig this. It's like I've been given like an extra sprinkle of something.
Speaker 1: You've got layers.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've got layers.
Speaker 1: I was just thinking, I'm like, we're just such beautiful storytellers.
Speaker 3: You're making a lot of sense to that girl. No, I'm done.
Speaker 1: I've been too honest to go. We had a big week this week, we did.
Speaker 2: I mean, you've been in Sydney for the whole weekend. Has it been great for you? Do you?
Speaker 3: Are you enjoying the sunshine? Isn't it beautiful?
Speaker 1: It has been good. I've had a very social weekend, meeting me as friends family. It's one of her best friend's birthday this weekend, so we spent a lot of time celebrating Kate, which was really nice.
Speaker 3: Beautiful. How are you taking to the shire?
Speaker 1: The shire is good. I mean we spent a lot of time in Krin.
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the hub of the shire.
Speaker 1: Oh, okay, that's like the center point right, that's right, Okay, She's like the heart of the shire.
Speaker 3: That's where I got it.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it's okay. It kind of does remind me a little bit like cot a slow yes, but awkward. I actually saw my ex's best friend. I saw him walking with another girl, and that's probably like the fourth girl I've seen him walking with.
Speaker 2: That is so funny because my best friend Emily, I saw her ex walking with this girl. And as soon as I saw him with this new girl, because he put her through the ringer, let me tell you, like, he wasn't a great boyfriend. So I called her and I was like, oh my god. I wanted to warn the girl, like stay away from this man.
Speaker 1: I kind of wanted to do the same thing because I'm my girl and last, but then I was like, no, I don't care. I was like kind of wanted him to like selfishly go back.
Speaker 3: And tell him, yeah, there you go.
Speaker 1: Is that bad? No, No, that's toxic. I've done a lot of therapy to be like better than this.
Speaker 2: Okay, well we're going to get into that. But what I want to talk about is before that. How And then at the end of last week, we had an incredible day here at Nova. We did we got to work really closely with the you know, with a group of people at Nova, a lot of the bosses actually the heads of departments and influential people within this building. Yeah, to start the RAP plan process and we.
Speaker 1: Worked with wrapping guys just to clarify.
Speaker 3: It wasn't like like it was more like black rides.
Speaker 1: It was literally like for my people. If you don't know what a RAP plan is, it's a reconciliation action plan and it was introduced so that organizations, any organization really in Australia. It's a plan to best support First Nations people in the business and to I guess you know, we all talked about closing the gap and it was to help with I guess, the closing of the employment gap. But there's a lot of other like social emotional wellbeing parts to it as well, which you wouldn't think being in an organization was necessary, but it is absolutely vital. I think working with First Nations people to under best understand why and how we work.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think it's super exciting for Nova and an important step for the future of the industry. It's the first commercial radio network that is putting a RAP together, So kudos to our Nova fam. We've loved working in this building and with this incredible company. So there's going to be more on this. We're going to actually do an episode based on reconciliation action plans, and we're going to get you know, experts into to divulge what exactly.
Speaker 3: That looks like.
Speaker 1: Make a rap about our rap.
Speaker 3: Wow, that would be pretty funny.
Speaker 1: I reckon usual our target our targets are I just probably chat GP my best friend. Yeah, But like you know, I feel like, you know, when organizations talk about rat we there was a very different vibe. I feel like with Nova. I've been on the co design process previously with other organizations connected to the Department of Education on charity and not for profits, but this one just felt very different. It felt a bit like there was a need for it and there was like a willingness and I really like that. And I think one of the common uh, you know, themes or words that were thrown around or slogans I guess was house proud and I feel like.
Speaker 3: You actually mentioned that.
Speaker 1: Well. I feel like when you go to work, which we you know, we work as freelancers, so it's a very different vibe, right because we're being employed by a service, but technically we really just work for ourselves, so we're being contracted, so we don't have like an organization that we go to every single day like we do come here every week and our touch.
Speaker 2: Points in the industry, you know, for me, it's Nova and I V and now Channel seven, which is super exciting.
Speaker 3: Something will be coming very soon. But I can't say, oh.
Speaker 2: My god, so I'll be working one day a week at each of these.
Speaker 1: Yes, which is hands and a lot of yeah.
Speaker 2: But I do want to I don't want to go too much into this. I just wanted to bring this to our audience and say that there's some incredible work that's being done behind the scenes when it comes to reconciliation. Context context is important. But I want to do an episode based on this where we get Stone Crab in the organization that NOVA is working with, and we can really go into detail about why it's important, the historical context, which is super important for people to.
Speaker 1: Understand a little bit on that's right.
Speaker 3: But I do want to talk about change.
Speaker 1: Okay, and I think lots of change happening in your life right now.
Speaker 2: But I also think that you know that's this is really exciting for the organization in terms of change. But I want to talk about personal change, what's happening and the evolution of change, and what it takes for someone to create change in their life, to make positive change in their life, I should say.
Speaker 3: So.
Speaker 2: I know that over the years, you know, I think about my twenties as a decade. There's been ebbs and flows of.
Speaker 1: You already exit the twenties.
Speaker 3: Girl, I'm out.
Speaker 2: Okay, yeah, girl, I am out. But for the last seventy five days of my twenties, right, I'm doing the seventy five.
Speaker 1: Hard Challenge very strategic lo.
Speaker 2: So, and it came to me. I was sitting on my veranda. I was looking out.
Speaker 3: At the view.
Speaker 2: You know, picture this beautiful blue sky day, me with my journal, and I'm writing a note to myself. You know, I'm writing about what I want, what I want to see in myself change. And then all of a sudden, I was thinking about this seventy five hard challenge that has been going viral over the last few months.
Speaker 3: And you will not believe it.
Speaker 2: That day was seventy five days from my thirtieth birthday. Yeah, isn't that the universe? It's being like ding ding ding ding, dpitous so I you know, the next day I started and from that point it was seventy five days, you know, to the twenty sixth of May.
Speaker 1: And how are you feeling, like, because you're halfway.
Speaker 3: Now, I'm halfway.
Speaker 1: What's what's some revelations that you've had halfway through?
Speaker 2: Like, yeah, yeah, I think interestingly enough, I've done challenges in the past that have that have benefited me. I've done sobriety for you know, one hundred and twenty days last year was the length that I did that for. I've done small or you know, short term diets or short term gym programs that have created a change, but I haven't been to the extreme that seventy five hard is. So let me just explain what seventy five hard is for the listeners. So seventy five hard is a list of things that you need to do every day which challenge you emotionally, physically, and mentally, I would even say spiritually, Like by the end of the day to read those ten pages in the book, I'm like, God, give me strength. But there are certain things that you need to tick off in the day, and this is the list. So you need to do two workouts, one indoor one outdoor. You need to drink three seven hundred and fifty million liters of water, which is basically four leaders of water. You need to read ten pages of a book any book. You need to journal, you need to take a progress photo, and you need to make sure that you're following a healthy diet, so no cheap meals, no fizzy drinks, no sugar, no ice cream. So there's a list of things you need to do every day and there's an app and it really helps me. Accountability really helps me. So when I can go in and tick something off, it actually is like really beneficial for me. And so this challenge I'm halfway through. Some of the challenges that I've found within this is the feeling of detoxing. So I haven't been to this extreme of a challenge where everything that is normal in my life has changed. Sometimes I've done the you know, no drinking alcohol for a certain period of time or eating healthy. Then there's always been substitutes for certain things, and in this challenge, you haven't been able to substitute. So it's an extreme challenge and it's pretty intense.
Speaker 1: Like it I was going to say, like off the bat, I mean I did like sort of like I wouldn't say seventy five soft, but I've thought about like incorporating some of those things into my daily life. But I feel like i've kind of already not the two workouts a day, like that's a bit too much for me. I think I walk twice a day, so I am kind of active twice, and it.
Speaker 3: Can be a walk.
Speaker 2: One of those exercises outdoors could be a walk. So since I'm really sore, I'm like, okay, I'll run for twenty five minutes and I'll walk and I'll walk for twenty so it's not putting your you know, body through the ringer constantly.
Speaker 1: Yeah, which I think is like what people could do is like seventy five hard. They could go absolutely hard, but it's more about just challenging and like making conscious choices.
Speaker 2: Right, Yeah, And I think you should challenge yourself in the sense that like you should push yourself. For instance, last night, I went for a run. I didn't get that second workout in until nine thirty pm, and I went for a run. I got back, but then overnight I realized that my foot, my left foot, was injured, you know, So I woke up in the middle of the night to a really bad sharp pain on my left foot. Took some penalult sort of went away. But now I'm going to take that into today's workout, you know, to be yeah, to be more mindful that I'm pushing my body to the limit, and so maybe I should just I might go and do push up some squats and chin ups at the park instead of going for that run. So yeah, there's just different things you can implement.
Speaker 1: To Okay, So what's what are I guess going back to the question is like, what are some revelations that you've had throughout this challenge like that have like I don't know, come come to you, Like what has this really pushed you on? Is it the physical challenge or is it the emotional or the spiritual?
Speaker 2: You know? What it's really made me understand is that I'm not a go with the flow guy. So if I go with the flow, the flow is going to take me to places that I should not be honestly. So well, I just think that what I've realized is when I have structure, when I have routine, discipline and self accountability, those things really help me with my mental health and they help me get closer to where I want to be in life, you know, to my personal goals. So going with the flow is not for me. And I'm halfway through this challenge and having that revelation has been such like a a profound moment for me because for so many years, I've always felt like things will work out, things will work out, just go with the flow. And what I'm realizing is that like when you go with the flow, you're leaving it up to other people's decisions, other people's you know, wants and needs of your life. And when you don't go with the flow, when you're really proactive in getting shit done, I feel.
Speaker 3: Like you're in the driver's seat of your destiny.
Speaker 2: So you're actually like steering the steering your life, you know. So that's one revelation I've had is to not go with the flow anymore. The other thing that I've realized is that I've never felt what it's like to detox.
Speaker 1: Okay, fully, what is dtox in?
Speaker 2: So I'll talk about the feeling of detox for me. I've had some big challenges with the seventy five Hard Challenge, to the point where I felt angry and I've had these emotions come to the surface that normally I wouldn't allow myself to feel. So I don't like the feeling. I don't know many people who do, but I don't like to feel angry. So I was having the feeling of anger, and I was thinking to myself, why do I feel like this? This isn't natural for me. And it happened like what's smallest things. It could be the fact that this I put this coffee cup down and it went like that and like it's spilt, and that would make make me so angry when in my generally in my life, that would not make me angry.
Speaker 3: Or I could read filt milk kind of things.
Speaker 2: The smallest things were getting on my nerves, and I was thinking to myself, this is that there's a hormonal imbalance in my body currently because I'm detoxing from sugar. I think sugar is something that has been a part of my life for a long time. Alcohol just all these elements that had to go out the door for this challenge. They're no longer a part of my world. And I think that there was like visceral reaction to this, and that's been one of the biggest challenges. Feeling what detox feels like yeah, and I can only imagine how hard that must be for people who are deep in addiction or anything in their life that they feel like has a stronghold in their world and then they have to sort of fight through that. I've had like the smallest glimpse into that, and it's been a struggle for me.
Speaker 1: So because you're you're self aware enough to like, see there is something uncomfortable, see it for what it what it could be, but naming it and then be like, Okay, I need to like challenge myself on that, or I need to overcome that, or like I need to or just that's huge, or.
Speaker 3: Just yeah, realize what it is, you know.
Speaker 2: So it's just going, Okay, I'm feeling angry, but there's nothing really that's happening right now that I should be feeling this way. There's no like, no one's making me angry like it could. It could be the smallest thing that I'm feeling, like these little.
Speaker 1: Things it's angry or is it irrited? Like are you feeling irritable?
Speaker 2: Okay, but like for instance, the other day, my fridge stopped working, right that fucked me off, But I went to move the fridge. I'm not like an aggressive person, and I yanked the fridge and I broke the cord. But that's because the frustration of this this feeling. It was like, I'm strong, so I had to get the fucking fridge repairman to come out, you know, four hundred dollars later fixing the cord and that I broke. But I've had that feeling in different areas of my life recently, and I can tell that it's from this challenge.
Speaker 3: And I'm just getting finished.
Speaker 1: Sugar cravings. Give me the fucking.
Speaker 3: Kick, Give me the fucking kickut.
Speaker 1: But sorry, that's what I'm like.
Speaker 2: Fuck, but I mean, but I am enjoying it. I'm really enjoying it. And I'm through that moment now. So I haven't been getting angry the last few days. Good, and I've realized what that was. I'm looking forward to the second half of this challenge and then the day that I finish May twenty six, I.
Speaker 3: Actually fly to Europe. Hell yeah, that evening. Now, what I'm going to do.
Speaker 2: I'm gonna eat whatever the fuck I want on that plane to Europe.
Speaker 1: Then you were flooding your body with like all the shit that you've deprived yourself off for like seventy five days. That's not gonna be a good scenario. I can tell you now because I'm straight.
Speaker 2: Into Rome, Babe, I'm flying into Rome. I'm going to get off that plane.
Speaker 3: Exactly pasta pizza.
Speaker 1: Oh I reckon, I reckon? Is yourself in no, because.
Speaker 3: Like is the reward for putting yourself through. It's not going to be yourself.
Speaker 2: It's not going to be consistent thing in my European holiday, I'm going to be like eating, like eating crazy and drinking and doing all these things. It's more the fact that like when I get off that plane and I get step into Rome, one of my favorite things in the world is a.
Speaker 3: Good pasta dish. Yes, I'm going to eat that pasta.
Speaker 1: But like I know, like I have been on those restrictive sort of things. This is in no way supporting like this is a healthy choice, because it like really fucked me up. When I was like eighteen, I was doing that like that IFBB pro like body like no one really knows this about me, but like yeah, and I was just literally eating chicken, rice broccoli like every day. Yeah, and it's not And then when I did the calm and like, like I just just I honed into all of this stuff. I felt so fucking sick and like I feel like it's just sort of created this yo yo for so many years. So just be like, I don't know, I think like I support the seventy five hard, but I support like having a balance of like reaping the rewards but not overdoing it. It was like, fuck, you will, Yeah, your body will just not be ready, especially if you've like you're not deprived, but you've you know, you're having these like cravings but you're not giving it, Like they're still going to be there for a while.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah, I don't know. I don't know too much about my body and science. Like I do like my own body, but I just worry, like sometimes that creates such a bad cycle.
Speaker 3: Yeah.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is what I want to make sure that people who are listening this isn't for everyone.
Speaker 3: I don't want to recommend anything.
Speaker 2: This is something that you're doing for your I know about myself is that if I want to make change in my life for me personally, I need to make you know, big decisions for big change. And I think that like I was looking for something I was on the search for a challenge to put myself through. And I don't think that it's for everyone. I don't think that everyone needs to do it. And I don't think that Like, if you love ice cream and chocolate and fizzy drink, go and eat it like I.
Speaker 1: Can eat it.
Speaker 2: You know, do what you need to do to make you happy. One of the best things in the world. One of the most joyous things is having a meal.
Speaker 3: So you do, you boo.
Speaker 1: I think it's hugely courageous for you to do this one. Like I think it's like you said, it's not for everyone, but one. It takes commitment, and you have committed. Ye committed.
Speaker 3: I'm in it.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, you're halfway through, so I have to adnore acknowledge Like that is courageous. The self awareness that I've seen from you. But just in this short period of time, I reckon has like excelled massively. Like I think you're looking at yourself. You're not picking yourself apart, which I think is the best thing. I think you're you're looking at yourself. You're noticing some patterns of behavior and you're changing it.
Speaker 3: Yeah, And I think.
Speaker 1: That like that is like, that is growth, that is evolving. That is evolution. You're only gonna get better. But I also worry, like, sometimes you are very hard on yourself. I am, And you're like, if I don't do this, I am a failure. Yeah, but I don't want you to believe that.
Speaker 2: Well, you know what, I'll be honest with you. I I am hard on myself. But I've had so many people in my life say to me when I wanted to make change. I've had people come at me with the soft approach, which works for some people, which is that don't be too hard on yourself, don't be.
Speaker 3: Too hard on it.
Speaker 2: You want that you that for me to create change. And I'm talking to me personally, not for everyone. I need to be hard on myself because the first thing when someone says to me, don't be hard on yourself, my mind can go to making excuses for bad behavior. Don't be too hard on yourself. You know you can do this. You're allowed to do this. Why wouldn't you. It's just living your life. Go and have fun. Don't be too hard on yourself. I have told myself that for so long, and I know that that doesn't work for me. So that's the whole idea of not going with the flow. I need structure, routine, discipline, and that's not for everyone, but for me to be at my best, I need that. And also what I would say.
Speaker 1: But you're creating it yourself, regardless of what people are saying. You're doing as well.
Speaker 3: I don't think if I, if we flip this, it would work for you. I don't think the.
Speaker 2: Strong you know, No, no, no, no, I don't think it would.
Speaker 3: No, you're more you know, you're more go with the flow.
Speaker 1: Person, Absolutely not go with the flow. Sure, I don't know where you got that from. Really, when have I ever been go with the floor? Oh? With you? Yeah?
Speaker 3: No?
Speaker 2: No, no, just like in your own world, Like in your own life, would you say you're more of like structured discipline us regimented?
Speaker 1: Okay, regimented to the fucking ta okay.
Speaker 3: But the thing is I would think you're not.
Speaker 1: It's so funny because there's this trend happening now and it's like type A and Type B. Have you seen it? Okay? So it like there's a Type A girlfriend and there's a Type B boyfriend or whatever, and the Type A, which is me and I assume. Maybe I would say Danny's probably more of a type is that like cat similar to but it's like Type A is like we need to be here on time. We like I've already ordered us something done, like it's very regimented and very well not necessarily because like type B is like this really fun like I'm going to be late to the fucking airport. I like like run on schedule, like to the last minute. Yeah I oh okay, So the opposite okay, yeah, yeah, that's so funny because I wouldn't talk about that the opposite. That's crazy. But yeah, i'd say me is probably more of a type BE. She would hate that because she was like, well, Type B don't contribute to anything, and I'm like, you're just the vibes. But it was a joke, but like she she does, but it unpacks like uh yeah, I guess for me. When she was reading one of them, she was like, this is you to the tea where it's like I need to be leaving at a certain time, I need to be at this And you would say I'm always late, but I'm actually not, Like that's the fucking thing.
Speaker 3: Like not always.
Speaker 2: I wouldn't say always but I think punctuality. I don't know if that's your strong if that's your strong.
Speaker 1: Suit, but a lot of other people would say it is.
Speaker 2: It is.
Speaker 3: Why would what.
Speaker 1: Because I've been late to things that we've done together, but other people. I have it when I'm putting a reliance on other people because in my own fucking mind, I know what I need to do. But it's everyone else that kind of like fucks me up sometimes and I get frustrated at that because I'm not in control.
Speaker 3: Not in control exactly.
Speaker 2: Okay, are you the type of person that when you're leaving the house you say to your partner, So your type of partner, hey, we have to leave it twelve thirty and yes, okay, great, because I do that to Denny.
Speaker 1: And she doesn't even look at her phone when she's getting ready, and I'm like, so what I do now? And this is now? Because you know, when you're in that early stages, it's fine, you know, like you're figuring each other arout and it's like okay, But now I'm like, I know, I say look, let's get ready, and I get ready in like thirty seconds, like I'm fucking quick at Shiit same and then I sit and just like plot around. I've tidy things and I play to her, Hey babe, just then you know you've got twenty minutes and then we have to go, And so I put a time.
Speaker 3: Yeah stand so do I yeah?
Speaker 1: And that that is like an hour before we need to be there, like or like forty five. I work backward. I work backwards. I'm like, okay, we need to be at this time. Okay, so we need to be leaving, Like I'm going to give it like forty minutes to like whoever wherever we going, Like if it's a podcast, it's an hour away. So like I'm working backwards, right, and I give her like I get ready so as soon as I fucking can, and then just allow her to have the space and time to do what if she needs to do?
Speaker 3: Does she make it on time?
Speaker 1: She still plots around, I must admit she's like, oh, still.
Speaker 2: Haven't they like all the take you know, Like, for instance, this is a scenario with Danny. We'll be eating breakfast. I'll finish my breakfast, I'll brush my teeth, and I'll come out. He's still sitting at the breakfast table. All right, Well, babe, we're gonna leave at nine thirty, so that's like in seventeen minutes because just in case there's traffic, we have to be there.
Speaker 3: Blah blah blah.
Speaker 2: He will get in the shower and have a long hour shower, like he's got half an hour, you know, So then knock on the shower door, Hey babe, just so you know, we've got about ten minutes, and then we're going to go, and then we're going to go. And then that last two minutes he's scrambling. I'm like, you had all the time. You had all the time. So I'm type A when it comes to my relationship. Actually, I'm type A pretty much a lot. Yeah, I know where punctuality comes into it for me, and it comes into it from my childhood. I've worked to this and I already want to get into therapy because therapy has helped me change a lot as well. But one thing back in therapy. I am back in therapy, whew, and with a new therapist, I really enjoy Okay, very practical. She writes the whole time. It's like she's that medium who's seeing things on the other side.
Speaker 3: I love her. She's like, yep, and what was their names like she's got She's gonna.
Speaker 2: Have a fucking novel by the time I'm done along with it, have all those pieces of paper, and so anyway, I wanted to talk about punctuality only because in therapy I came had a realization that when I was younger, I was so scared of people not turning up because my mum never turned up. Even my dad when we moved it moved with him, was never punctual. I was always left, So was left at school waiting until the sun, you know, was going down for her to pick me up, or left in you know, the refuges and she'd be out all day. So like there was a lot of the times that I was just left as a kid and waiting and waiting and waiting, and she would say, I'll be here at this time.
Speaker 3: She just wasn't.
Speaker 2: So I think that that's in a work that I have to work on it and knowing that not everyone is gonna be on time in my life and that it's okay, But it is something that I know that is a personal trigger for me.
Speaker 1: You know it is for me as well, which is crazy. And every time I have been late, I have honestly felt anxious the whole day, Like it's it's triggered me so much that if it's a morning thing, it's triggered me that much that it takes me a while to actually come back and like recover from that. I know it sounds so small, and so they are, and like I'd rather be early so then I have like the minute to myself to actually just decompress, like today, like I just had a spad minute to get a coffee, sit, do my emails and then I was like, Okay, I'm ready.
Speaker 3: To go like that, you know, black fellow time. Yeah, it's but it actually is a thing.
Speaker 1: Frustrates me.
Speaker 2: It frustrates me as well. But it actually is a thing. It is the opposite of of who we are inherently as people to be so rigid and structured. Even though I say to you, I can't go with the flow. Our culture is very much go with the flow.
Speaker 1: And a lot of other cultures are as well. So like mem and and I we were with her parents and her dad and her Samum was talking about how like her family is very go with the flow, and I was like, yeah, my family like that as well, but I just cannot.
Speaker 3: The opposite and I think it's because the guy with the flow didn't work for me as a young person, so I've seeked out this structure and routine, which you know.
Speaker 1: Well it helps you have control with your life totally because a lot of things I think in your early childhood. Personally, for me, this is not just as my experience is that I wasn't in control a lot of things when I was younger, so I tried to do that now, like routine and structure have helped you get to where you out have. Really, I think in my early childhood a lot of things were not in my control and the biggest growth and learning and pivotal moments were you know, huge trauma moments. But in those moments it helped me have a perspective that was like, okay, we'll press reset, Like we can press reset here in a sense, it's like.
Speaker 3: How many times do you think you've done that in your life? Press reset?
Speaker 1: Quite a few times? I think moving away from my family when my mum died and like choosing to live, we're not really choosing. I didn't really have anyone else to go to, Like this is a sad reality, and I think I often am quite dismissive of some things in my life because I'm just so desensitized as you would know life, and I think, like I need to not do that sometimes, but it just helps me like not be so consumed. Yeah, I don't want to live in it. I'm really happy with where I am. But Mim like was obviously trying to unpack a little bit about my life, and she wants the best better I understand me, and I get that, and I have to explain things to her and provide context because sometimes I could just be like so blase about it and she's like, where does that come from? In this relationship, I've like honestly felt the most calm I've felt in a relationship, like the most secure, and it's so crazy, Like normally I'd probably be a little bit more leaning towards the anxious attachment kind of style, but in this relationship, like love Mim, and she acknowledges this, but she's probably more of that anxious attachment where I'm the secure one, which is so different to what I'm used to. But it's because I love her so much and that I want it to work, and I see so much potential in our relationship and I want to try and be like the rock and like the ground for her, which I've always been for everyone else, but I've never been with someone that makes me feel so secure in that as well. Wow, so she's also like pretty secure in herself, like you know, I like, and it's so nice. There's a nice little balance. But what I've noticed is that in moments like I try to control the environment, but I have really taken my pedal, my foot off the pedal in some things. So like I will have an idea of like, yeah, we need like we need to do like I guess Perth. We're going to Perth this week. She's meeting my family Friday afternoon.
Speaker 3: This is out. You would have already gone.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, but I'm just you know, and I feel like in my head, I like already know what my family going to be. Like, I've got to try and control the situation where she won't have like an uncomfortable experience whatever.
Speaker 3: Family.
Speaker 1: No, we're house sitting, which is good away from everyone, but like in my head, I'm like, okay, you know, and I'm like no, no, no, no, I can't. I've got to let her figure it out. Let them, yes, let them and like, I think that's been a big growth for a moment. Is like taking my foot off the pedal at different points and not trying to control every single environment and just letting it unfold how it should. And it's been the best thing I know.
Speaker 3: My therapist said to me once, stop manipulating the world.
Speaker 1: But it's a control thing.
Speaker 3: It's a control thing. You want to be able to feel secure and safe.
Speaker 1: And that's fine. It's it's okay to control the environment to make you feel safe. And I think that's probably one thing that I really talk about that calmness, is that I feel very safe in this relationship. I feel very seen and it's so fucking crazy because I have not felt like this in such a long time. It's insane. Like I literally like shake my head every day. I'm like how the fuck? Like was I doing it wrong all this time? But I was like, I've just met a great person who makes me feel that, like you know what I mean?
Speaker 3: And I yeah.
Speaker 1: But I guess I was talking about those pivotal growth moments is that I've had to make really big decisions in those moments and I didn't know they were going to be growth moments or like pivotal moments. I was just making decisions, but those decisions were I guess, like in survival mode. And I think my thing is that I'm not in survival mode anymore. Yeah, I'm making decisions based off joy and not surviving. Isn't that crazy? Like I'm like, let's do that because it's fun, And I'm like, no, let's not do that because I need the paycheck, you know what I mean. Like it's it's actually so cool, Like I'm like, what are so what are we going to do today? We don't have a plan. And I've actually realize that I am helping also mim help heal her relationship with her family because I crave family so much because I love my family and I'm not away from them that I'm like, oh, let's go hang out with your family, and she's like, I don't. I don't do that, but like let's do it. And I'm like, okay, well she used to do it and she is getting better, Like she's.
Speaker 2: Like, you know, I can resonate with that. Paul I did that with his family. But what I will say to that is that was one of the most appealing parts of our relationship. The family unit and reflecting on that that that actually.
Speaker 3: Was a major part as to why I stayed.
Speaker 2: Wow.
Speaker 3: Yeah, yeah, because I.
Speaker 2: Enjoyed the family unit and the stability and the community. So just not that that's what you're doing, but being aware of that is important. But I want to know how it goes when she goes back to your family. So let's touch on that in the next like how that trip went.
Speaker 3: We'd love to know more.
Speaker 2: Maybe we can get mem on and tell us about her Perth experience.
Speaker 1: I know she'll come on, she'll be like, I'm gonna unload.
Speaker 2: Well, I think that's probably a good place to wrap because we've been Jana for a little while now, but I'm looking forward to hearing about your Perth trip.
Speaker 1: I have to just finish this off by saying like it takes a lot of Like like I said before, it takes a lot of courage to want to grow in stepping out and being uncomfortable. And I think you know, we've spoken about self awareness, which I think is really beautiful to have that a lot of people don't have that self awareness, and I think that kind of having an understanding of not just yourself, but I guess also how other people work and how other people contribute to your life is huge perspective, Like I think that's the best thing. But I think the best thing I think for what you've said, because I've learned so much about having a challenge and like you know, what come comes through is that you are continuing to strive or to choose. I think choice is huge to not limit or reduce yourself, And I think that's the best thing is that you are. And I always draw inspiration from you at some points because sometimes I can get stuck in a cycle and I'm like, I'm quite content, I'm happy because nothing is like sparking off and going bah, and I'm like, okay to just chill for a moment, right because if I start changing things, that's when I'm like not comfortable, and like I'm okay with that. There's been moments when I've been okay with that, and you know that. But I think it's like both of us are always like pushing to grow and evolve because we refuse to let us let ourselves be small and small, like not like science wise, I mean small as in like limit ourselves to a life that we think that we don't deserve, or like deserve. You know, you know what I'm saying.
Speaker 3: I understand what you're saying. Our whole lives, we've always pushed for.
Speaker 1: A better way, and I just encourage other people to do that. Like I think, I get really confused, I guess a bit perplexed about how people can just stay in the same city and do the same thing. But if they're happy and content, I have to accept that and respect that obviously. But I'm like, there is such a bigger world out there, and there's so many people to me, and there's so many things to learn. Why would you not want to enjoy that?
Speaker 2: Yeah, everything is possible as well, you know, Like I think sometimes you can be so wrapped up in your world, but when you have new experiences that bring on growth, like you really open up your world. So I would encourage people to take on a challenge, any challenge that that may be. It might be that every morning when you get up that you journal. It might be that you go for a walk, it might be that you know.
Speaker 1: I think also like people think that you have to have like some sort of mental health condition or some sort of trauma to go see a therapist. But I really encourage like going and speaking to someone biased. Yeah, like it might take your way, might take you a while to like find a therapist, but like, I just think therapy is just really helpful to just like talking and just like verbalizing shit. Yeah, because when do you ever really unload and verbal other than in your relationship or like to your family, like, but to someone who's like unbiased.
Speaker 3: Yeah you know.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Anyways, that's my little tip and trick.
Speaker 2: But take it into your weak mob. But that's all we have time for today. Yeah, if you love what you hear, leave us.
Speaker 3: A little writing in a little review.
Speaker 2: We always love to hear from you, so I want to just whenever we receive your messages online or on socials, Like I've received a lot lately about the pod and I love it, So keep them coming. Jump in the DMS. I'm always up for a chat. My handle is at It's Mattie Mills Brooks is at brook dot blurton and.
Speaker 1: We'll see you next week. Bye bye