Speaker 1: I get at it's you project, it's gals Bow, it's cook, Oh, it's harp so and it's another day on the typ journey. We're rocketing. We're rocketing towards two thousand episodes. If you've got an idea what we might do for the two thousandth t if I was thinking of maybe doing a live episode with like fifty people or something live recorded live with people asking what are you looking at me like that? For? Is that a bad idea?
Speaker 2: What do you mean fifty people, fifty people watching?
Speaker 1: Not for me? No, no, no, I mean like a live zoom call where fifty people can sit in the zoom room like we're doing right now with Golespo, but another fifty vagabonds.
Speaker 2: Oh that would be so fun.
Speaker 1: Who can sit in, you know, on mute and then at a given time ask questions, either type questions through or ask verbally turning on the old mic.
Speaker 2: But how do you pick the fifty?
Speaker 1: Well, it's whoever sends us one thousand dollars in small unmarked bills to No, I don't know, I don't know. I haven't thought it through. Well, see here's the problem too. When you do stuff like that, sometimes people go yeah, yeah, yeah, then they don't show right.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and soon they've all got to type stuff in. I was like, that sounds way more like a Melissa level of attention to detail than a Tiff Cook.
Speaker 1: No, no, no, it's like you can type right now in the old chat you can write, hey, harps, get closer to the microphone that never works.
Speaker 2: You never listen to that.
Speaker 1: I don't read it and I don't listen to you anyway. Calls. But what do you think we should do for a thousandth two thousandth?
Speaker 3: I don't know. I have very little experience with such things.
Speaker 1: So yeah, it's not often you can catch him out to your visit.
Speaker 3: Absolutely no idea. Have you tried asking Ai?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Well maybe I asked a tipple to it right now?
Speaker 3: If asking Ai, what should a podcast do for the two thousand episode?
Speaker 1: Have you got any ideas too? Yeah?
Speaker 3: See what it comes up with.
Speaker 1: Oh I just drank some water. Very bad protocol on the bloody podcast. But who cares? Well whilst she's doing that, you put up your hand when you've got that. But GILESPO, welcome back. Thank you so much for joining us as you do once fortnite. Just so you know David's I don't know what would you call it? What do you call raisin Hell?
Speaker 3: Is that?
Speaker 1: What just were your I was going to say suppository. What I meant was repository.
Speaker 3: Repository.
Speaker 1: Yes, yeah, David's suppository of quality work. No, his repository of articles. Is Is it raisinhell dot com?
Speaker 3: Is it on? No? No, it's just on substack and in search for which search for raisin Hell on substack.
Speaker 1: And that is R A I S I N hble l if have you got any gold for us? Have you got any wisdom?
Speaker 3: The reverse?
Speaker 1: The creative Genius.
Speaker 2: Flip the mic two thousand and two thousand, Rapid Fire Wisdom two thousand seconds, where you give your twenty most powerful lessons from two thousand episodes. Audience in the room many a bit mare.
Speaker 3: Maybe you need to Maybe you need to give it a bit more context iff and tell it what the show is about. It might be able to do better.
Speaker 2: Chatters knows everything about my life, man. Chatters are best mates.
Speaker 1: You know.
Speaker 2: Chatters knows all about heart.
Speaker 1: That's true. If I asked my Chatters, it would say something different because it and my are besties. Although we did have a fight.
Speaker 2: The other day, Oh, harps in the hot seat, the uncensored roast and therapy session.
Speaker 3: There we go.
Speaker 1: Don't need you, Yeah, we don't need that. Already got enough issues. I'm already in therapy three times a week. All right, gillespo, welcome back to the show. As I said, so you wrote an article. There was a new one out today which I haven't read yet, apologize, but you wrote one about a week ago, I would think now called Engineered for Pain, the Untold Story of Migraine, seed, oils and profit. And yeah, that's a really good article. Everyone, if you want to go, have a read of it. But if you can't be bothered, just tune in right now because the Great Man is going to give us a little bit of a reader's digest version of what that was about.
Speaker 3: So have you have you ever suffered from migraine? Set all?
Speaker 1: I have. I've been very lucky. I don't know why, but yeah, I do have friends who absolutely crippled by them. And yeah, hole got to be in a dark room, eyes closed, no noise, no movement. Yeah, so it's I personally can't understand, but I've been around it very debility.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I've been around it quite a bit, because my wife has had them at quite bad at time in her life, and some of my kids have as well. If you ever had migraines.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I got them monthly when I hit adolescents for a period of time was horrible.
Speaker 3: There's a good reason for that, and we're going to talk about that a little bit.
Speaker 1: How long did they last? How long? Sorry, David, how long did they last?
Speaker 2: They were brutal. They were usually just twenty four hours, but I would vomit like literally every hour on the hour, and then that would just slowly pit her out longer and longer.
Speaker 3: It was.
Speaker 1: Was it exactly when you got your period or was it just during that time?
Speaker 2: It was the few months before it was leading up to that time, because but I remember the school, my school teacher, one of my school teachers. I kept going home once a month and they said then they just started asking me if you got your period yet? I think this might be hormonal.
Speaker 1: Yeah, it was horrible, horr Right, So when you got your period that stopped?
Speaker 2: Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, oh yeah, it is interesting. We might talk a little bit about why that might be. But let's migrains affect an awful lot of people, and they aren't just headaches there, you know, as Tiff described, really crippling can be for sort of up to twenty four hours, and they can be multiple times a month. I mean TIFFs were just once a month. But people can who suffer from this, and it is a lot of people. You know, it is debilitating and you know it can affect their career, can affect their job because it just can't work. You can't go to work, you know, you can't look after kids, you can't do anything. And so it's been, as you might imagine, a bit of a priority for the drug makers to come up with something that they can do about it, because you know, panodole and neurophin and so on just aren't going to do anything for you. If you would have experienced that taking a couple of panadol would done much for your migraine. It's just something you have to work through, right ye. Yeah. And there's a good reason for it, because there's a lot more going on than just a headache. The headache sort of the final bit of what's going on. It starts with what they call, you know, sort of a spreading well, well they call it a CSDE or cortical spreading depression, which is just a wave of electrical activity in the brain, which often is what causes the aura that a lot of people describe. So they get an aura before the pain where you know, and they know it's coming, so that it's not yet hurting, but they know it's about to hit, and that probably makes it even scarier. But I guess it gives them warning to get into a dark room, calm down, stay out of the way of noise and light and so on. But what's going on in a migraine has probably since the early nineties started to be a lot clearer since they discovered some of the peptides that were involved in the brain, and in particular one called CGRP, which I won't bother digging out. People can read the articles that are interested in it. But CGRP is important because the drug companies have found that they can suppress the impact of CGRP. So CGRP seems to be critically involved in the pain mechanism, so the spreading pain inside the brain, So just to be sure to be clear on what's going on, CGRP is what's known as a vasodilator, so it dilates the veins the blood vessels in the brain, particularly around the edge of the brain the Meninji's and widens and causes the throbbing, pulsating pain that's associated with migraines. Now, the drug companies, as soon as they found that, started working on are there things we can do to block CGRP, like, you know, can we interfere with the receptors for CGRP and the brain, et cetera, et cetera. Working on a lot. In the last decade or so, some powerful drugs have come out which do exactly that. So those drugs actually counteract CGRP in the brain and the result is that people who are given these drugs experience two to two and a half less migraine days per month, which is a significant impact. It's way beyond anything you know, anyone's ever managed before with any sort of standard pain killer, because it's not actually a painkiller, it's it's targeting the exact cares and so for that reason, it's powerful. It works. We know it works, and these drugs are now obviously finding themselves a very very big mark because this is something that impacts, you know, large percentages of the workforce. What's all this got to do with seag oils. The interesting thing is that you might say, Okay, well, that's all fabulous information about the CGRPs and how that impacts the brain, and it's great that we've got drugs that work on them, But what causes the CGRPs to be there in the first place is the more interesting question. What causes people to have that reaction, what causes them to need a drug to counteract them, And that's where some really interesting research has been done on what's called oxylipands, which are sort of precursors to the CGRPs, and in particular ones which are created from amiga six fats. Now amiga six fats, you will remember, so we've talked before about seed oils, so things like carnola oil, sunflower oil, you know what is generally disc as vegetable oil on the label of foods, you know, but no vegetables were harmed in the creation. They're actually fats that are created from seeds. So there's three classes of oil. There's animal fats, there's seed fats, and there's oil that you put in your car mineral from minerals. So vegetable oils largely created from seeds. Some flowers, aflower, canola, et cetera. All of them are very very high in AMEGA six polyunsaturated fats. And one of the problems is that the rate of growth in migraines, So migraines have increased in the population since nineteen ninety, since they started counting this sort of thing, by almost sixty percent. So since nineteen ninety, the incidence of migraine in the population has increased by almost sixty percent. So something's going on in the environment. And the interesting thing, and what prompted me to write this piece is that I saw I came across, just quite by chance, a really excellent piece of research. In nutrition science, you rarely see really high quality research. It's usually sort of, you know, associative type stuff. You know, men who have big cars, you know, have headaches, and Tiff was going somewhere else with that one, but you know that sort of like associating two things and saying these two things correlate, therefore one causes the other. That's the kind of research you tend to get in nutrition because doing any other kind of research and nutrition is really really hard. It's hard to do a double blind trial in nutrition because you know, the person knows whether they're eating a steak or whether they're eating ice cream, so you tend to get mostly rubbish. But there was this really really high quality done targeting this question, published in the British Medical journal, very good publication. The people doing the trial was the National Institute's of Health in the United States, in particular a fellow by the name of Chris Ramsden who has been assigned as there for decades and has been looking at amiga six fats for a long time, and he asked the question, is there a way we could run a trial to show whether or not amiga six fats in some way implicated in this massive rise in migraines. And what he did was organized exactly that. So he broke a trial group of people into three groups. One group ate exactly the way they always did, nothing unusual. The second group was asked to increase the amount of fish they ate, so therefore increased the Amega three in their diet. And the third group were asked to do that and swap out all the vegetable oils and seed oils in their diet instead of using sunflowl oil or canol oils, which olive oil or animal fats and intentionally avoid seed oils in the diet. And it reduced the amount of Amega six containing fats they were consuming by about a third, sorry, so by about two thirds. So I dropped them from seven percent of calories to two percent of calories. So it was a fairly effective trial. It ran for sixteen weeks. All of them were pre screened to be migraine sufferers. The effects in the group that dropped the Amega six were truly massive. Now remember that what I said before about the drugs. The most powerful drug that's ever been invented, took out two and a half migraine days per month. Yes, the group that all they did, they didn't do anything else. They just stopped consuming Amega three sorry Amega six fats, so stopped consuming seed oils. Four less migraine days per month.
Speaker 1: That's bloody, I mean, no.
Speaker 3: Drugs, nothing. All they did was reduced the amount of seed oils they consumed and they got four less days per month. Now, I came across this because I happened to see it in a story in the New York Times about this trial, and the story featured the lady that I put in my article, which was. She was one of the participants in the trial. This is now three years late after the trial. The trial was completed in twenty twenty one and published I think in twenty twenty two, and she's been doing it ever since. She said, there's no way I am going back to eating the way I was, because I've been paying free now for years and never been paying free my entire life. She's fifty eight.
Speaker 1: Wow.
Speaker 3: And this accords with something that I've seen mentioned every now and then by people who follow paleo diets. Quite by accident. Part of the paleo diet is you tend to eat animal fats and avoid seed oils. And a lot of people have sort of anecdotally said you see it in the chat groups and sign people say, oh, I haven't had migraines since I stopped started eating this way. You know, has anyone else experience that? And a lot of people say, yeah, actually I have, And it accords with my own experience from the moment we stopped eating seed oils. As a household, my wife has not had a migraine, my kids have not had migraines. So that's all mabulous.
Speaker 1: How long has that, mate, overwhell.
Speaker 3: I put toxic oil. The book I wrote about this out in twenty fourteen, so that's yeah, so that's over eleven ten years now and the hang on, no.
Speaker 1: I just I want to ask a couple of questions. So sorry, So that's eleven years. That's fucking amazing. On how often was your wife having migraines?
Speaker 3: Ah, look, I'd say it to a couple of time. Times a month. Would have been a couple of times a month.
Speaker 1: Yeah, so she was having give or take twenty to twenty five migraines a year and hasn't had one migraine in any year, no sense, that's incredible. And yeah, that's incredible.
Speaker 3: The interesting thing about this is this is the first time I've seen real high quality evidence about this. So this is one of those things where drug companies have been really interested in it because as soon as they discovered something you could you know, nail you could hit with a hammer, which is the CGRP, they said, well, there's a drug target, let's do that. Yes, but they stopped there thinking there, Well, this research has done. They said, okay, but where's the CGRP come from? And this is where they've dug into the mechanism and said, what's really going on here is that Amiga six fats, uniquely a Mega six fats. These are the only things that can do it create a precursor to CGRP prostaglandin or it's a class of oxylipins which causes the CGRP to be created. And they've said, what if we took the A Mega six fats out, what would happen? Their theory was, what would happen is it's stopped migraines. Turns out they're right, So there is a very simple solution here. Now, as with all things about seed oils, there's always going to be people to have a propensity for the particular condition no matter what, and there'll be people who try this and they still get migraines. Maybe not as many, but they still get them. But what this shows is that the non drug based solution to this is more powerful than even the most powerful drug based solution, the miraculous one that they've already released. And I just find that fascinating. So the full write up, as you say, is in that is in that post and people can go and look at the read the article if they want to read the study if they're interested in that funny?
Speaker 1: Isn't that funny? How? Okay, So you've known this for at least eleven years, and I'm sure a lot of other people have known it. How I mean, I've been in and around health, wellness, fitness, owning gyms, blah blah blah. I've never heard of this like this is like, I mean, until I saw the article, Like have you ever heard of this tip? Like, isn't it funny that there's something that's basically twice as good as the best drug? But it's not making any one money? Right, So it's not it's you know, it doesn't get you know, for whatever reason. But it would seem to me there's a correlation there, and that's a that's a very inconvenient truth for a lot of people who are trying to sell the drug that works half as well as removing Mega six oils from you.
Speaker 3: But significantly better than any other drug. I mean, you know, with good reason. It is put forward as a miracle, and it is as far as drug goes. What this is study is telling us is, yeah, that's great, but we can do even better than that without the drug. Now, just before, just before we go on. I just wanted to mention the thing I said to Tiff before we might talk about the reason why so migrains disproportionately affect women. It's the leading cause of disability for women under fifty. And the under fifty bit is important there because they're the women who are likely to be having periods. And we know that estrogen plays a key role in the pathway that influences the release of CGRP. So there's particular parts of the menstrual cycle and pregnancy and menopause that can provide really predictable cycles of vulnerability. So we know that. The other interesting thing we know is that men are catching up really really fast.
Speaker 1: So is that because men have got more and more estrogen and less testosterone?
Speaker 3: No, no, I wish, I wish I could come up with you a spectacular acclaim as that for you, Craig, But unfortunately it just means that we're now eating so much seed oil that it's overwhelming that the limited defense is the testosterone play, right, So testosterone waters down the effect and we're overcoming that by the amount of seed oil that we're consuming.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, Now, just there's some people who are new to you and new to the show and they're going, fucking he fuck, this is the best thing I've ever heard, because my sister, my son, my daughter, my cousin, my boss, my employee needs to know.
Speaker 3: This.
Speaker 1: Just remind everyone what what the seed oils are?
Speaker 3: Oil? Yeah, yeah, Well, basically, if you go onto a supermarket and it says vegetable oil on the label, it's probably a seed oil. So the seed oils are oils that come from seed, so canola seeds, stoy bean, which is a legume but let's just go with that, and peanuts, almonds, sunflowers, safflower. I think I probably missed one or two, but you get the gear, the drift the ones that aren't. So there's a couple of vegetables which aren't seed oils, and that is olive oil. And so these as a class are what I would call fruit oils. So olive is a fruit, so is coconut, so coconut oil, olive oil, palm oil. Palm is a fruit as well. So those three are described as vegetable oils as well, but they are generally fine because they're quite low in a Mega six m.
Speaker 1: It's funny. The other day I went into the old soupy to try and find some of the world famous Gillespie good fat I think it's called good fat mayo. Is that the one? Yeah?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's the one. Yeah, yeah, ye know that.
Speaker 1: It's in that short squat yes, round, of course, it's round, but it's it's it's like a really relatively small jar and it's like twenty bucks.
Speaker 3: You know, you can just make it yourself.
Speaker 1: Right yeah? Yeah? Have you seen me so olive oil?
Speaker 3: Done? Yeah?
Speaker 1: But how long is that? Isn't it going to go ranswerd.
Speaker 3: After a week? Do you not eat much mayo?
Speaker 1: Not a lot, but I like having a bit of mayo. But like the what's hilarious is like the seed oil version is like fucking five bucks for gallon. The olive oil stuff is like it's like trying to buy gold. It's like a little jar as twenty dollars and a big jar of the other one, who's five dollars. I'm like, even just this has got to be some kind of indication of what's in there, you know.
Speaker 3: Yeah, well, I mean olive oil is a little bit more expensive than sunflower oil, which is what's being used in the other ones, but it's not that much more expensive. It's just you know what the market can bear.
Speaker 1: Yeah, yeah, all right. So so that what's that one that you said as a precursor to CGRP.
Speaker 3: So the oxylipans, So there's both the Mega three and the a Mega six X and Mega three's are the ones that reduce pain, a Mega six increases pain. They produce things called oxylipins, and the oxylipants from a Mega six proster gland, and being one of them is one of the important precursors to CGRP.
Speaker 1: I mean, obviously, everyone, none of this is medical advice. None of us are medical professionals. But like, let me just say this. If I suffered from migraines on a semi regular basis, I would do an N equals one, you know, study of one. That's me go, I'm going to do this for thirty days and see what happens. I can have any omega six, no seed oils. I'm just going to do.
Speaker 3: You know, So if you're wanting to do this, If you're wanting to do this, how would it look practically? First of all, you chuck out all the seed oils, wouldn't cook in them, right, So you'd throw out your spray t in that you use to spray on your pan of canola oil or whatever. You'd swap out to olive oil or something in your kitchen if you're doing any cooking, you wouldn't buy anything fried. You wouldn't buy anything that's crispy from a supermarket so because that's probably been fried as well. So biscuits, you know, yeah, chips, things like that. You wouldn't buy any of those things that have been fried. And you wouldn't buy dips because they're all some four. You wouldn't buy commercial mayo, et cetera, because you wouldn't buy sandwiches from a sandwich shop because they're using margarine made from seed oil. But you eliminate all those obvious sources of seed oil, you would massively cut the amount of a mega six you're consuming. And I reckon if you and that I mean in this trial they did it for sixteen weeks. I reckon if you ran it for a couple of months, you'd have noticeable impact. This study says you would see a measurable impact.
Speaker 1: And so that researcher, his name is Chris Ramsden, and it was with BMJ British Medical Journal that's right.
Speaker 3: I think in the article yep.
Speaker 1: Great, great, great, that's all I wanted to know, because I want to go read that. That's amazing. Well, you know, it's good that people have got something to try. You know, it's good that people can you know, share this and perhaps take it for a test drive and see what happens. The other thing of not only interest but fascination that we spoke about our fair was that an organization that I've never heard of called the National Crime Institute. Didn't even know.
Speaker 3: It's the Australian Criminal Intelligence Commission, Well the ac I see. I know I called it the National Mischue when we're talking off here, but I've actually looked it up since.
Speaker 1: Right, all right whatever, Still haven't heard of that. But they they've been looking into our pooh and Wi. Let's be honest, that's gross. They've been analog look at TIFFs face, they've been analyzing TIFFs, pooh and Wi, and what have they come up with?
Speaker 3: Well, so they had They didn't just do it yesterday either, They've been doing it for ten years. So there's been a thing called the National Wastewater Drug Monitoring Program.
Speaker 1: So so good. How's your soup? Looking nounceive.
Speaker 2: Haven't eaten Dinny either.
Speaker 1: I hope you're not having any kind of casserole.
Speaker 3: So they have figured that the best way to figure out, you know that there's all sorts of ways to figure out what drugs people are taking, right, what illicit substances people are taking. One of them being to ask them. But you know, surprisingly people are less than honest when it comes to such things. So they say, well, maybe we'll get more accurate numbers if we don't ask them, but just check out what's going down the toilet. And so there's been this program in place for ten years and it is in hundreds of sites around the country where they measure all kinds of drugs in the wastewater from the waste systems of you know, the water treatment plants all around the country. So everywhere there's a water treatment plant, there's one of these things measuring what's in it.
Speaker 1: And that would be before it's been filtered or whatever they do treated.
Speaker 3: I'm not entirely across them. Well, it would certainly be before it's treated, because the point would be to get it in the wild. If you like, Yeah.
Speaker 1: Well it's essentially pooh, and why you soup, isn't it. Let's be honest. I mean, it's just well, but what what do you think it is?
Speaker 3: Visceral It's his job as a podcast to bring in the audience into the room with them.
Speaker 1: I'm just trying to paint a picture for the peeps. Shout out to those having a little savaloi casserole tonight.
Speaker 3: So I look, I can recommend the entire report because it is riveting stuff because it actually goes through all the big contenders for addictive substances, and they're measuring them all and have been measuring them for over ten years now. So you know, things like nicotine, how much are people actually consuming from all sources, So this would be it'd be ending up in there, whether it comes from a patch or from cigarettes or from you know, the stuff you got in your arms or whatever. So answer is hasn't changed in ten years. So the amount of nicotine ending up in the wastewater has not changed. Their smoking rates have dropped, but the amount of nicotine ending up in the way system stay yeah, exactly the same. And the level is they can actually estimate, so they estimate that the average city dweller in Australia is having about one and a half cigarettes a day and the average country dweller is having more like two and a half.
Speaker 1: So yeah, in terms of nicotine, like the equivalent of the.
Speaker 3: Equivalent in order to generate the amount of nicotine they're finding that that's how it's worked out. So the only takeaway from that is really that people in the country smoke or or access nicotine much more frequently than people in the city. But other than that, it hasn't changed in ten years.
Speaker 1: An interest has changed.
Speaker 3: Has a couple of interesting ones. Well, let's talk about one that's gone down. Alcohol has gone down pretty dramatically, actually.
Speaker 1: So that does prize me.
Speaker 3: Yeah, so alcohol's dropped from levels. City and country are both about the same, add around one point three standard drinks per day per person wow out back in twenty and thirteen fourteen, and now it's down to around about The cities are doing a little bit better than the country on this one as well, but in the city it's down to about zero point eight of a drink per day and in the country it's about one per day. And that's a pretty significant drop over a ten year period, and it's part of it. It's not just a one off. It's an ongoing trend of decreasing alcohol consumption, so we're no longer getting our jollies from alcohol, which makes you wonder, well, what are we consuming instead of the alcohol any guesses?
Speaker 1: Yes, opiates, opioids or whatever. The opiates like painkillers, zanak.
Speaker 3: Not so much so oxycodone and fentanyl, which they are both measured obviously, Yeah, not so much oxycona. Oxycodone has been about the same the whole time. There was a little spike in COVID in the country for oxycodone, but other than that it's been about the same. Fentanyl similar same spike, about the same time, but pretty much flat the whole time. Heroin has been increasing lately, so pretty flat for a while, jumped up a bit during COVID, jumped, dropped off again, and then it's now sparking back up again. So in the last round we had a big, big jump so the country. Well, heroin, by the way, much more heavily consumed in the city than in the country. But in the city it dropped up from it jumped up from about if we look about a year ago, it jumped up from about eight doses per thousand people per day to about eleven in the most recent one in the city, so it's a pretty big jump. And in the country it's jumped up from about two and a half doses per person per day up to about eight and a half so up, yes, that's right.
Speaker 1: I mean that is nearly two hundred and something percent.
Speaker 3: Yeah, still nowhere near the city, but big jump.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 3: So Heroin has been on the up and up. Cannabis pretty flat, nothing much going on there, not going up, not going down as usual a country double the rate in the country than in the city the rate. So they're all hitting the hash a little bit harder out in the country. But it hasn't changed much in ten years, is that right, Grandpa? Yeah, it is grad prior here anyway. Kedym jumped up quite a bit in the last round after not doing much for about a decade and just lately is chopped. But the big mover, the big mover, and this is a sixty nine percent increase in a year.
Speaker 1: Drum rollative. I feel like we're at the logis it is and the winner is twenty twenty five big improver of the year coming out of nowhere.
Speaker 3: Cocaine.
Speaker 1: Did you say cocaine?
Speaker 3: Yeah, that's a big One's an increase.
Speaker 1: I'm very ignorant when well, I did used to work at a rehab but in terms of like I just used to deal with the people that were dealing with the stuff, right, But is I don't think either of you are the one to ask, but maybe you know more than me. Is cocaine expensive? I feel like that's expensive.
Speaker 3: Well, I think it's probably more expensive than other things. Tay.
Speaker 2: I normally just yeah, I just let them get access to my bank account directly, So I'm not sure.
Speaker 3: Yeah, he's not sure.
Speaker 1: Now yeah, wow, I wouldn't do that. But wow, and and so what's that gone from what to what?
Speaker 3: Ah? Let me have a look at exact numbers here, so it's yeah, it doesn't feel that big. Hold on, I'm looking at the wrong graft. That's why here we go. So it's gone from about six doses per thousand people per day to ten doses per thousand people per day, much bigger, much bigger in the city than in the country, although the country is catching up pretty quickly. So yeah, So the interesting thing is, Okay, at a at a sort of big level, well, alcohol is dropping off, but it's being replaced by much more powerful stimulants. So cocaine is a notch up from alcohol, and obviously heroin is too. So you're seeing the nicotine consumption staying flat when we really think it should be going down. You're seeing alcohol probably matching people's perception, which is that people are drinking less these days, but what people are substituting it for seems to be much harder stuff. So we're talking about heroin and cocaine and MDMA and MDA and methamphetamines and amphetamines, so all of these things are on the rights and that's a real concern. And my theory, without any justification and certainly no study in the BMJ to prove it, is if we start addicting the entire population all the time by giving them access to apps that are engineered for addiction, like social media and gaming and so on, then that addiction spills over into everything. You need a better, stronger hit then you can get from the more normal things once you are accessing dopamine hits all the time.
Speaker 1: Wow, that is interesting. If didn't you tell us on one episode once you had like half a joint when you were like seventeen or something. Oh yeah, how what I can't imagine?
Speaker 3: What are you?
Speaker 1: And as David calls it hash or the kids call it true true.
Speaker 2: At it twice and one time it was absolutely hilarious. Best thing ever. Second time will I knowingly had it because a boyfriend of mine smoked and I smoked cigarettes at the time, and I thought he just rolled me a cigarette with his rollies, but he'd put some in it and then was laughing, well, waiting for you to kick in. And I hate it, hate it?
Speaker 3: And what about you find? Are you find coke much better?
Speaker 2: Coke's much better? I'm on that daily.
Speaker 1: Yeah, they're speaking of coke. Nothing to do. We'll come back to the topic at hand. But did you see the I don't know who it was. They put out a thing the other day saying that it was on the news, which is always a dubious source of scientific information. But anyway, they're talking about how having sweetness, artificial sweetness increase so soft drinks increases the chance of diabetes by type two diabetes by something like thirty six percent versus sugar twenty three percent. Did you see that?
Speaker 3: I did. It inspired me to go and have a look at the study. I wasn't too impressed with the study actually, because they didn't ad just for the weight of the person, so and the fact that there's a high probability that most people who are consuming artificial sweeteners are probably also consuming sugar. So it's not like people just decide I'm never touching sugar again in my life. I'm just having artificial sweetness. But it was an interesting study because it did at least raise the question because what seemed to what the study seemed to be saying is if you have artificial sweetness instead of sugar, it doesn't change your risk of type two diabetes, and that it's bad with sugar and it's still bad with artificial sweetness. It does, however, change your risk of being fat. So that was an interesting thing. It didn't it meant that the type two diabetes risk wasn't altered by the fact that you were thin if you were consuming artificial sweetness. Honestly, I felt the methodology in the study left a lot of room for improvement because of the things I mentioned before about what you included and excluded. Nevertheless, it does pose an interesting question, is there something going on there where we tell our body to expect sweetness and then don't deliver it, don't deliver the calories, which would cause you to going weight, but the body still expects the sweetness and makes an adjustment. That's an interesting area. And yeah, so I felt the study was interesting for that reason.
Speaker 1: I'd like to look at somebody with, you know, on an empty stomach, high Grellen levels or whatever, and get both of them to have a can of regular sugar coke versus no sugar coke and see whether or not there's a comparable insulin response to Yeah, I'd like to see what that is. I wonder if you know, because obviously you would think with a no sugar drink there'd be minimal, if any insulin response, but maybe that's not the case.
Speaker 3: Yeah, maybe it would be interesting. I don't understand why those kinds of studies aren't being done, or if they are, why they're not being published, because I haven't seen anything that says that kind of thing. Maybe when you start the Harps Research Institute, you can that could be studying number one. You off, get up and running the other interesting Harper Institute.
Speaker 1: That'd be hilarious.
Speaker 3: Go go the other one, just a quick one. Did you see they've got a pill for a zimpic now, so using the the GLP one stuff rather than having to inject it just a once daily pill. It's in trials at the moment and does it not quite as effective as a zempic, but still still makes you nauseous enough not to eat.
Speaker 1: I have an interesting story about that that I cannot tell you on the show, but I will tell you when we finish TIFFs. Looking at me, mate, always good to chat with you. Let's wind up so I can tell you that little story. But we appreciate you and you listeners, and also just go to the New Project Facebook page and tell me what you think we might do for the two thousandth episode. I'm leaning towards something live so we can have a bit of interaction, a little bit of fun and a bit of a reflection, and I'd suggest it might go for longer than an hour or an hour and a half and we'll just waffle on and then if anyone wants to actually listen to it, they can. If they want to skip it and go to two thousand and one, they can also do that.
Speaker 3: TIF.
Speaker 1: We appreciate you, Thank you, thanks lads, Thanks Bilspo pleasure