Speaker 1: From the Australian. Here's what's on the front. I'm Claire Harvey. It's Wednesday, May twenty seven, twenty twenty six. A huge shakeup is coming for people on the doll with the Albanese government saying the existing system isn't helping get welfare recipients into work. That story is live now at the Australian dot com dot AU. One patient is dead and scores of Australians are infected with diptheria, a disease that haunted humanity for thousands of years and killed millions of children. Vaccines all but eliminated diphtheria, but now an outbreak is spreading from remote Aboriginal communities and seriously worrying experts. So what's causing it and how do we fight back?
Speaker 2: This buy is not expected to live. He was not immunite. Every twenty minutes a child is taken ill with diphia. Every three hours a child dies from deferia. Mother, have you forgotten to protect your child?
Speaker 1: Natasha Robinson is The Australian's Health editor and Natasha, this is a question I wouldn't have had to ask you in generations past. You and I are both parents and once upon a time parents were absolutely terrified of diphia.
Speaker 3: What is diperia, well, Diphtheria is a bacterial disease that has two iterations. It can be cutaneous, as in it affects a skin, or it can be respiratory, which is a more serious and potentially fatal version of the disease. It's a horrendous disease and it is very understandable why such a fear of this terrible disease when it was endemic in the community. The respiratory version results in the sort of coating over the throat that eventually makes it incredibly difficult to breathe, and it can lead to heart attacks and severe respiratory problems, which in years gone by had death rates almost as high as one in ten. The kachaneous version that has been the predominant strain that's been spreading around Remote Australia causes really horrendous skin source. But the real concern is when we started to see higher and higher rates of the respiratory version of this disease in Remote Australia, which has been occurring more recently as the spread has gotten larger and larger.
Speaker 2: We've done everything we can another young life wasted on necessarily because well meeting parents delayed time, maybe taking on towards tragedy in your home.
Speaker 3: Governments across the country are racing to contain the largest dip theoria outbreak since records began in Australia.
Speaker 1: A dip theoria outbreak in the Northern Territory has now spread to Western Australia, South Australia and Queensland. The government is preparing to roll out an emergency support package. With more than two hundred and twenty cases of diphtheria reported.
Speaker 3: There was a general understanding or belief that this was virtually an eradicated disease in Australia. In fact, it has been popping up, particularly in the past few years. We've seen a cluster of outbreaks in Queensland, and in fact the genomic analysis, at least without being definitively epidemiological evidence, indicates that this current outbreak has emanated from that Queensland outbreak which was bubbling along up until about twenty twenty three but apparently was not fully stamped out.
Speaker 1: I have thought that the diffory vaccine that you get as a child and the childhood immunization program gives you lifelong immunity. Is that still what scientists think or not?
Speaker 3: No, it's not the case. The immunity from dip theoria childhood vaccinations do wane over time in around about midlife. It's sort of from the age of fifty. People in order to have immunity will need to be boosted. So over the age of fifty, if you haven't been boosted, and a lot of people, not a lot of people, but some people, if you've had a cush or you've been exposed to tetanus, will have been boosted for dip theoria. Because the tetanus vaccine contains potassis and diphtheria. It's a triple vaccine, so that sort of has given some people immunity without them necessarily even knowing if they have been boosted for tetanus. But no one virtually in Australia is being told by their GP at this stage, Oh, you're over fifty, you haven't had a booster for diptheria in the past ten years, we'd better boost you for dips theira. And that's simply because the disease has not been in our community. But certainly if you're over fifty and you haven't received a booster in the last ten years, your immunity to dip through will have waned significantly.
Speaker 1: There's two big things happening, I suppose in vaccination. Looking at it from the outside, I'm not an expert like you, but it seems as though childhood vaccinations for some conditions are on the way back down again after some significant reforms led by US here at News Corp Australia which resulted in a huge uptake in childhood vaccines. That was the no Jab No Play campaign. Parents will only be allowed to send their children to childcare if they're vaccinated.
Speaker 3: It would be an absolute crime to not use the vaccines we already have.
Speaker 1: The no Jab no Play legislation was passed by Parliament last night. And there's some hesitancy to vaccines among adults that we're seeing after COVID. Are either of those Do you think at play in the defior outbreak that we're seeing now.
Speaker 3: I think we have to assume that they are. But there's a lot of nuance here because this is an outbreak affecting Remote Australia and in general Remote Australia, Aboriginal communities, Aboriginal controlled health services do extremely well with childhood vaccination, and the national rates of childhood vaccination for Indigenous children sit higher than the national rates for all five year olds, for instance, by about one percentage points.
Speaker 1: Quite significant.
Speaker 3: Why are we seeing a spread of such an ancient disease across remote Australia and that boils down to the same reasons in terms of endemic disadvantage, living conditions, vulnerability of health. Are the same reasons that we have rheumatic heart disease in Remote Australia, the same reasons we still see cases of leprosy in the Northern Territory. So this is a very vulnerable population and I think this is something that is going to require some policy shifts in terms of vaccination schedules once we get this outbreak under control, to make sure that we don't see something like this occur again.
Speaker 1: Do you mean potentially boosters for adults of recommended as part of adult healthcare?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I do. I think that there has to be serious consideration that when we're looking at the advice in the National Numnization Handbook, that we have some explicit advice perhaps that Aboriginal Torres Strait Islander people should be boosted after the age of fifty if they haven't had a booster in the past ten years. In the wake of this outbreaker, I think surely that's something that has to be on the table.
Speaker 1: It's always seemed to me as though vaccinations, the vaccine program was almost a victim of its own success in those parts of Australia where there is increasing hesitancy. Nobody my generation has really heard of polio. They don't understand why the polio vaccine was this game changer that saved hundreds of thousands of people's lives. Similar to hooping cough. They've never seen a child suffering from hooping coff and don't necessarily know why they should have to get their child vaccinated because it's horrible to take a baby to get a vaccine.
Speaker 2: Cry you feel awful.
Speaker 1: What do you think about what's happening? More generally the big picture, if we zoom out about vaccines in Australia.
Speaker 3: I think that what we're clearly seeing, and this is probably like a Canarian The coal mine in terms of this dip theory or outbreak, is the re emergence of diseases we thought were a thing of the past. We're seeing it already with measles. I think, if we start to see polio in our community, my god, what an unbelievable state of affairs. I mean, I remember as a school student having a science teacher, you know, who had polio as a child, and the way I vividly remember the way he woked. He wore a big shoe that raised his foot. I remember the stories that I heard, even though it wasn't really happening in my lifetime. And I remember the stories of kids in iron lungs, and those stories are not in the minds of young parents anymore. We are seeing the tip of the iceberg here. I think, in the wake of COVID, in terms of hesitancy and dropping rates of vaccination, which are in years from now on, are going to see an increasing reemergence of these diseases. And I'm not quite sure how we get the message across that these are absolutely terrible diseases.
Speaker 1: Terrible diseases. The government doesn't really do a lot of explicit messaging. I mean, I am more exposed to messaging about how smoking is bad for me than I am to why the measles vaccine is important and what Tennis even is I mean you and I both used to having tennis shots as soon as you fell over or got bitten by a dog when you were a kid. Again, I haven't been exposed to that as a parent in the past decade and a bit of parenting. Yet.
Speaker 3: We now have a Australian Center for Disease Control and this is something that they're thinking a long and hard about and they're in this leadership space now led by Professor Zoe Wayner, and I think she's thinking very deeply about how to get that message through. Coming back to this outbreak itself of diphtherior, we know that there is an incredibly effective network of Aboriginal community controlled health services in across remote and regional Australia. They do a magnificent job. They are highly trusted by the community. You know, in some communities the health service is the center of community life.
Speaker 1: The staff are from the.
Speaker 3: Community quite often, and in COVID nineteen they did an incredibly good job. There were a lot of fears that Aboriginal communities in remote Australia were going to cop the absolute brunt of COVID nineteen and they didn't, and that was largely to do with the efforts of community controlled aboriginal health organizations who were well resourced and the full gamut vaccination, absolutely rigorous contact tracing, et cetera, et cetera. That seems to have been slow to get off the mark here with diptheria, and there's questions I think to be asked about that was there a lack of resourcing? Were these vaccines to boost adults distributed early and quickly? Were contact tracing teams sent out to ring fence these outbreaks in a timely manner? Why was it allowed to bubble away this outbreak that has been building up since October last year with the Commonwealth calling an emergency in May. So I think these are all pertinent questions here. And the vaccination issue is a wider issue and it's a national issue. But we have a very vulnerable community here that is being subject to an outbreak that is totally unprecedented, and I think we've got some lessons to learn from this. Well.
Speaker 1: I'll be booking my diptheria vaccination booster this afternoon. Thanks Natasha, Thanks Claire. Natasha Robinson is The Australian's Health editor. You can read all her work right now at the Australian dot com, dot au