Speaker 1: Welcome to How Do They Afford That? The podcast that peaks into the financial lives of everyday Australians. I'm Michael Thompson. I'm an author and the co host of the business news podcast Fear and Greed, And as always I'm with Canna Campbell, financial planner and founder of Sugar Mumma TV, the financial literacy platform covering pretty much everything we are up to. This is like episode one hundred and eighty or something around there, and I still cannot get out the words financial literacy platform without having to very deliberately slow down and think about it as we go.
Speaker 2: Hello, Cannah, good morning, How are you?
Speaker 1: I am very good, Thank you. I I'm going to start today's episode with a hypothetical. Yeah yeah, if someone handed you ten thousand dollars tomorrow, no strings attached, right, no requirements on this. They handed you ten thousand dollars tomorrow, what would you do with it? Are you going to be kind of paying down debt? Would you be investing it? Would you be blowing it on a investing it on a holiday. I'm going to reframe my language already today We're going to unpack what the answer says about you. And what you probably should do rather than what your perhaps instinct is telling you to go and do with it. Let's jump straight in when people say, imagine getting ten thousand dollars, because I think everyone plays around with these hypotheticals. If I was to say, win the lottery, win the lottery, right, I mean, obviously ten thousand dollars, you're looking at probably like a third division prize or something within lotto.
Speaker 2: Hey would still be grateful for ten thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: I certainly would. I mean, I'd prefer forty million, but I will take ten thousand as well. What's the most common instinct that you see in this scenario.
Speaker 2: I think there's a real mix of reactions, and it says a lot about someone's relationship with money. So for someone it might be, you know, the reaction maybe a sense of relief thinking, okay, great, ten thousand dollars we can find and clear that, you know by now pay letter debt or critit card debt. We can fix up those bills and have a little bit of money, you know, leftover. So there's a huge sense of like, all right, I've got we can have our head above water and see light at the end. Of the tunnel. For other people, that might be just the excitement of thinking, great, we can go book that holiday or something that they've been like saving up for wanting or desiring for a long period of time. But what I noticed the most about people's reaction and how it reflects their money mindset and also their level of financial literacy and how connected and committed they are to their financial goals and dreams. So you know, it can really the reactions can be quite wide.
Speaker 1: Okay, so it's it's I was going to ask you then, whether it's usually an emotional response or a strategic response, And it could be either depending on kind of how much work they've done on money in the past and kind of the position that they are in at the time that this sudden windfall lands in their lap.
Speaker 2: Right, So it's always emotions first, you know, the joy, the relief, the excite, one of those disbelief.
Speaker 1: One of these days, I'm going to actually assume something correctly. I have over the last two hundred odd episodes, I have made a number of assumptions assuming that I'm on fairly safe ground, and I should learn that I am never on safe ground.
Speaker 2: Never with me. But interestingly, I've seen people have I guess a discouraging reaction where people feel guilty about that money, or they see have a sense of self doubt or you know, self worth, or you know, they come from a place of scarcity, and they might even say, oh, only ten thousand dollars. You know, as you just said Division III, I was the one that said I'd be grateful for that anyway. But you know, once the emotions have passed, that's when you know that calm, rational, practical approach steps in, and you know, you look at asking those questions, all right, what can we do with this money? What is the smartest thing to do with this money? What would actually in our financial lives needs attention immediately to improve our financial wellbeing? There is a definitely clear transition from the emotional reaction to those strong strategic financial decisions.
Speaker 1: Does it change, though, depending on where you're at in your life. I mean surely if you're in say your twenties, you're going to have a different reaction to someone, say in their fifties, because it's just like the look on your face, just that it's just like just stop, Michael, because you're heading down the wrong path. But I've committed it. I'm going to finish it, okay, in your twenties, right, it is about disposable income. It is about having a bit of fun with your money. And suddenly you ten thousand dollars lands in your account. You're like, fantastic, that's that holiday that I wasn't actually sure whether I was going to be able to afford. Now I can. In your fifties, inching closer to retirement, Hey, that ten thousand dollars may make a fantastic additional contribution to my super It's going to change.
Speaker 2: Right, you are actually right?
Speaker 1: But better that hurt?
Speaker 2: No, But if you let me continue on without being interrupted. You know, money has an interesting way of magnifying what exists within this And I've said this before. Clearly you were not listening back then. So if someone is really driven and motivated and educated about money, they are going to use that to leverage and magnify that. So you know, if then the flip side is if someone's you know, really squandalous or it is really frugal with money, they're actually going to probably hold that money more or blow that money. So you know, this is where it not necessarily is different, but to you know, I guess to come to a conclusion with this and agree with you. Yes, someone who is young doesn't have serious financial responsibilities. It is more likely for them to go and spend that money, whereas someone say in their fifties, with significant financial pressures and stresses like preparing for retirement, you know, mortgages, maybe private school fees, you know, no investments, and they wanting to achieve things. Yes, that money would be used very very differently and received I guess different level appreciation. Perhaps.
Speaker 1: Can I just clear up one thing along the way here that if your first thought is great holiday, it doesn't necessarily mean that you're irresponsible with money, does it?
Speaker 2: Absolutely not. I think the investment of travel, exploring, adventure is one of the best investments you can make in yourself. You know, there's so much intangible value that comes from traveling, experiencing different cultures, meeting different people, you know, respecting all the different walks of life, and seeing you know, what the big wide world really does look like and where we sit in it is you know, the significance of the world. And yeah, I think it is something that I mean, I've never regretted going on holiday ever.
Speaker 1: Yeah, and especially when things are tight, we are still in a cost of living crisis and just being able to afford to say take the kids to Sea World or something like that. This money could make a meaningful difference.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you know, I mean these memories that you're building and these last a lifetime.
Speaker 1: I feel like we're in a place of agreement to you, which is just so d right down the date. So therefore I'm going to just demolish everything that we've just done, all the goodwill that we've built up in the studio, and complain a little bit. Why can't you see it as free money? Right? This is ten thousand dollars that you didn't have yesterday. You weren't expecting it. It's just arrived in your account. Why can't I just claim that as free money and do whatever the heck I want? Why don't we.
Speaker 2: Just like reframe this together right now and see this as like an opportunity blessing. Unexpected money can actually represent a really powerful turning point in our lives. You know. For some people that might mean they can finally clear the debt that has been weighing on them, like not just financially but mentally as well. But for others. It also could be the catalyst of starting something really big, perhaps kickstarting that share pot follio or you know that is the ten thousand dollars that kickstarts the decision to try and save up for a deposit on a home, or some sort of other financial investment such as starting up a business that they've always wanted to. So, whilst it can feel like bonus money, it often has the potential to create some really serious long term improvements and shifts in our lives. So, you know, sometimes a small financial blessing ten thousand dollars I think still a lot of money, can actually be absolutely the turning point for a new financial chapter of your life.
Speaker 1: Yeah, ten thousand dollars can be enough to kind of get you out of credit card debt. It can be enough to kickstart your emergency money savings. It can do a lot of things. So I just want to make it very clear that I am certainly not turning up my nose at ten thousand dollars, but if I'm going to win lotto, I would prefer it to be something with a few more zeros after it.
Speaker 2: Well, it all boils down to your money mindset and your attitude and your financial literacy, you make that money actually really count.
Speaker 1: Yeah. Yeah, indeed, so that I buy enough lottery tickets in order to increase my chances of winning. Is that what you're trying to say?
Speaker 2: No, okay, not at all. Right, I think we're getting somewhere.
Speaker 1: Last one before we get into the practical side, because I really want to kind of go through a step by step of how you might actually make those decisions around where the money goes. And I want to know from you what you would do specifically if you had ten thousand volts. But we'll do that in a minute.
Speaker 2: It's going to be really cool. Just so you know what I'm going to share with you. You'll be really impressed.
Speaker 1: Are you the one that has assessed it as being cool? Because you and I have very different definitions of cool.
Speaker 2: We'll have to see.
Speaker 1: Okay, all right, great teaser. Just quickly. Mistakes. What are the mistakes that you see people make when they receive win for money? And we're talking I suppose here it's not just about winnings. It's more likely going to be a tax refund, for instance, or a bonus from work, maybe an inheritance, those kinds of things. What are the mistakes that you see people make? Is it these emotional decisions just rushing out and doing things too quickly.
Speaker 2: So actually, one of the saddest patterns I have seen and witnessed professionally and personally. He is actually self sabotaged. So this stems from you know, low self worth, and it's deeply ingrained in money beliefs, and some people subconsciously feel like they don't actually deserve financial abundance. You know, they haven't necessarily worked for it for their because they've won it, for example, or inherited it, and so they literally get rid of it and they'll spend it, they make impulsive decisions just to get it out of their hands away from them, or even I've seen situations where people even just give the money away. And you know, it can look like all sorts of different things going on, like you know, excessive spending, risky decisions, or simply not even having a plan or even being thoughtful about making that money last, or actually taking a moment to stop and actually think about the heritage of that money, if you like, and what that money actually represents. And this is why I always talk about, you know, when someone's looking at going down a path of financial literacy. The first place to invest time isn't actually the budget of the goals, is actually your money mindset, so that you can actually embrace the adventure and the journey ahead. Knowing that you know what you're doing for yourself is actually really important and as actually building up your self confidence and your belief in yourself.
Speaker 1: Okay, let's take a very quick break, come back and go through the main options of what you can do and in particular what you would do as well. Can I We are talking today about the ten thousand dollars question. This is the hypothetical that if you were to receive ten thousand dollars, if someone handed it to you tomorrow, what would you do with it? Take us through the main options, so paying off debt, boosting, savings, investing.
Speaker 2: So the order of priority, and of course it depends on your situation. But if you had, say, credit card debt or buy an hour pay later, your number one priority is to clear that instantly as much as you possibly can.
Speaker 1: Toxic debt.
Speaker 2: Toxic debt, the non deductible debt, the debt where you've just used borrowed money to just buy stuff that's depreciating value, including actually car loans in that. The next one is obvious courses in emergency savings, so you know you already may have some emergency savings, but it may not necessarily be enough where you may have recently taken some money out of that emergency savings as the need of being topped back up again, so that would be your next point of call. The third step really comes down to your situation, like what are you working on right now? What are your big long term financial goals. Perhaps you know you want to put that money towards, if there's any leftover, towards you know, saving up a deposit for a home, or perhaps you want to use that money to start investing and start earning passive income. Or perhaps you're at a stage in your life where you're looking at retirement and you're looking at some sort of financial goals to work on, and you've now got idea as to how much money you need and SUPER, perhaps it is time to then put that money in SUPER. But it really depends as to where you are in your life stage and cycle and what your goals really are and what's going to add the most value to your financial well being.
Speaker 1: Okay, but that's a pretty clear guide actually that really you do start with the thing that is going to cause you the most damaged financially and rather to reframe it that will do you the most good to clear. So say that toxic debt.
Speaker 2: It will rebuild financial stability and resilience if you can clear that debt and then stay out of that debt, because the last thing I want to do is clear the debt and then find six months later you're back because you haven't addressed your habits, your mindset, your attitude.
Speaker 1: Okay, and then it's working through kind of where you are at with your other assets. Say you already have emergency money, you may not need to be adding to it. If you've already got if you're happy with her superza, you may not need to be adding to that. Or if you go, hey, this would actually benefit me best as an additional contribution to my super then maybe that's and I suspect it would be quite valuable getting some.
Speaker 2: Advice, definitely, And one thing I should also say is it's not one or the other. You can definitely have a combination of PA. You can split it well, you know, and you know at the end of the day. This is your money, it's your business what you choose to do with it, and you want to feel good about what you decide to do. And that's why it's important to like not rush out and do this straight away, but to get advised, to sit and think, to write down some goals, and to really understand also your values around money. So for some people, that actually may look doing a little bit of everything. So you may already have a good debt payment plan in place, but you think, you know what, I'll put to say two thousand of that ten thousand towards that. Technically it's not the smartest thing to do, but it's okay. And then you use the other two thousand, for example, to top up your super the other two thousand to buy a parcelo shares, and you know, others say remaining four thousand news is emergency money. At least you're addressing all of those goals on a maybe you could say a holistic level, but at the end of the day, is what makes you feel good and what you decide understanding all the pros and cons behind each one, even though it's not technically the smartest thing to do, but it's okay. It's what's smartest for you.
Speaker 1: Okay, it is funny. I'm getting the sense that you can actually tell quite a bit about somebody's money mindset from the way that they If you were to walk up to somebody in the street and say, right now, what would you do if I gave you ten thousand dollars tomorrow? You can learn a lot about somebody's money mindset from that.
Speaker 2: You can learn so much in the way someone talks and the language they use as well, and even the tone of their voice. And it's funny, like even at the dog park, like I've made some amazing friends and I love sometimes talk about money. And there's one particular couple in particular, and it's fascinating listen to the way that they talk about money because they have such an abundant mindset and everything is positive, everything's an opportunity, everything's exciting, everything is celebrated.
Speaker 1: Is it easier to have an abundant mindset when you've got money? Though, without being too negative about this, just playing Dell's advocate, I suppose it feels like it's easier to be abundant and welcome the flow of money when you're not having to scrap for every cent and you're not just trying to go, Okay, how am I going to pay the mortgage this week?
Speaker 2: But this is where it comes down to understanding your values. Not everyone views abundance as lots of money in the banker, I don't. I view abundance as richness in relationships and connections to people around me and myself, richness in health and well being. You know, it goes deeper than just financial when it comes you know, when it comes to the topic of abundance. So I don't it depends on where you're at and what you're working towards and were you really value.
Speaker 1: Yeah, this wasn't even the topic of today's There we Go, Good Life. I feel like there is another episode in this where I entirely understand the value and the importance of an abundance mindset. But I just feel like it is such a difficult thing to grasp when you are stuck in that day to day just trying the grind to keep a living coming through the door.
Speaker 2: But this is the cool thing about having an abundant mindset is it helps you get you out of that place of you know, this hand to mouth living, paycheck to paycheck. If you can focus and intentionally build something that is a focused around getting out of this situation, and you do learn to slowly grow and nurture and harvest an abundant mindset, it does help significantly in coming out the other side and making those consistent changes where you do end up eventually transforming your life financially.
Speaker 1: Okay, Canna, I have ten thousand dollars in my pocket, and I'm gifting it to you, no strings attached, except for one string, which is that you have to tell me what you're going to do with it. What are you doing with this cash?
Speaker 2: I ran some numbers, okay, so I'm going to turn it. I'm going to turn this ten thousand dollars into one hundred and forty six thousand dollars.
Speaker 1: I am most definitely listening. Go on, all right.
Speaker 2: I would use a debt recycling strategy, so I would put ten thousand dollars directly onto my mortgage to reduce obviously the non deductible debt. I would then go and redraw that money through a separate investment loan obviously secured against my home, after checking my budget and looking at interest direct rises, and then I would go and invest that money into a diversified share portfolio of say like listed investment companies, allowing obviously all of those dividends to be reinvested and compound over time. So over a thirty year period, that ten thousand dollars, assuming a net return on average of say ten percent per annum, would actually be around one hundred and ten thousand dollars. But this is where there are other benefit comes in. Because I have prioritized paying down debt, I would actually have saved over thirty six thousand dollars in interest off my home loan assuming a six and a half percent mortgage, and I'm using an average sh loan size of six hundred and fifty thousand, which is the average home loan in Australia, and I would shorten my debt free mortgage free journey by ten months.
Speaker 1: That's actually really cool, And what I like about that is the fact that you are essentially paying it off your mortgage only to then reborrow the money again, but you're doing it in a more You're taking it from kind of semi toxic debt to tax deductible debt exactly.
Speaker 2: And this is why having financial goals and then having a financial plan built around these goals means that you do you make really wise, intelligent decisions. When abundance like ten thousand dollars lands magically lands in your lap, you have all those positive feelings and then you can hit the ground running with that money.
Speaker 1: I want to make two things very clear. The first is that this is a very specific scenario for you. Yes, that definitely yeah. And that if you think, hey, that sounds great, talk to a financial planner, get some advice that is tailored specifically to you, because that is just a scenario that is tailored to your own circumstances.
Speaker 2: And debt recycling is a high risk strategy is not for everyone. And we've even got quite a few episodes now all about debt recycling. So if you like the sound of what I'm talking, obviously it's not strategic advice whatsoever, but you can go and learn more from our other podcast where we talk about this and how to do this in an intelligent, sensible, wise way.
Speaker 1: Indeed, and the other thing I need to make clear is that I do not have ten thousand dollars for you. That was purely hypothetical. I suspect you're not surprised by that.
Speaker 2: That's okay, because I have an abundant mindset and I will manifest ten thousand dollars. There, we got the end of the wink.
Speaker 1: I love the fact that we've managed to bring in abundance. We brought in manifesting, we brought in debt, recycling, We've brought in so many different things. It really has just been a mixed bag of concepts. In today's episode, where can people find you if they want a bit more information?
Speaker 2: If you like to understand and learn more, always reach out to me on Instagram at Sugar Mama TV.
Speaker 1: And you can hear me every day with Sean Aylmer on Fear and Greed business news you can use. Thank you for listening to how do they afford that? Remember to follow on the podcast, and the best thing you can do is actually spread the word. Send the link to this episode to somebody else if you think that they might benefit from hearing it. Thanks for your company. Join us again next week