Speaker 1: Simon Goodwin. It's the big news yesterday morning. We went to wear with it. Just at the end of the show he is out of there, go on as.
Speaker 2: The coach of the Melbourne Football Club.
Speaker 3: I was disappointed, He's no doubt about that. But I'm disappointed because I think we're a hell of a lot closer to turning a club and team back into a contender again than what people think. And I'm disappointed that I'm not able to work with this great bunch of players that I know that we've developed and spent a lot of time developing over time, and I'm just going I'm not going to be a part of that. But ultimately that's the boys decision.
Speaker 4: That was a really proud and at times emotional Simon Goodwin speaking at his media conference alongside Brad Green, the president of the footy club yesterday. Former D's captain legend of the club, David Neats joins us for his reaction.
Speaker 2: Need a good morning, good morning.
Speaker 5: Good morning Clinton mate. Obviously a massive day yesterday with the announcements of Simon so but gee, what an amazing effort that he's actually contributed he's made at the Melbourne Footy Club. You know, my generation and many generations couldn't get the job done, and he and his boys done in twenty twenty one, which is just enormous. So because there's a.
Speaker 6: Huge amount of respect, were you surprised by his sacking Nada.
Speaker 5: I don't know whether I was absolutely gump smack by it. I think that they were in order to chatter around through Melbourne supporters and whatnot, just about the with the list and the inability to sort of make it in the finals. There's a bit of chatter around. But so it wasn't wasn't totally surprised. What would you have I have done that? I'm not sure, but well I suppose I guess there are arguments for keeping Simon around. I thought probably after round five this year our we changed the way we started to play a little bit and moved the ball bit cricket through the middle of the ground, so that could be an indication of keeping him. But then obviously when you look at the win loss as the performance sort of game, in the end you have the win loss sort of shows it down with tread so you can understand as a good emergency for success.
Speaker 1: So Dave Klink got quite emotional earlier this morning, just thanking him on behalf of being a fan of getting them a premiership. As a former player, obviously you would have felt very similar.
Speaker 2: But do you think the buck stops with the players.
Speaker 5: I think there's always a combination of things and when things don't go well with a footy club, and I think I think everyone has to probably have a bit of introspection about it, including you know, the board, the way they go about about things out the past few years. Simon will be doing that, I'm sure, and also some of the players. So it's a whole club scenario.
Speaker 2: I just feel the coach always seems to be the for guy.
Speaker 4: Yeah, Nita, you were speaking to that. You were I think you were captain when Neil Danaher was given the boot in his time. Well, paint a picture for us. How would those players be feeling today. What's it like being a player when your coach is given the flick?
Speaker 5: Yeah, it's really I was really flat and really low. I sort of reflect on Max a little bit because he's obviously at that stage. I was with Neil for probably eight years as captain and courchain probably a similar thing with Max, and you just go through the journey, You go through a lot, you understand what you try to shive towards, and then that's that gets taken away from you and it's it's a really flattening process. And I guess at the time with Neil, we knew there was there was he there was pressure on Neil. It's always disappointing when when it wasn't appointing when he got the flick, I was upset and angry, and I expect probably Max's really similar things.
Speaker 6: Yeah, all right, moving forward and looking forward, Dave needs, who would you like to see coaching the Mighty Demons?
Speaker 2: Any chance of you're getting out behind the bar and getting down.
Speaker 5: There's no behind the bar. There'd be a horrible story. But now I look as body of candidates, John Longmyer, Nathan Buckley, Kenny Hickleys available to come on.
Speaker 6: Seeing butts in the Red and Blue feels like.
Speaker 4: We agitate the Magpie fans.
Speaker 5: Probably if you were Calvin coaches still going around the worst. But yeah, look, yeah, someone like him will be fantastic, I'm sure. And and there's you know, there's always good up and coming coaching talent around. So as long as the club goes through a process and get that Royal shore. Brad. You know, Brad Green as the president's got a lot of care and Steve Smith coming in as a new president, got a care and a lot of care about the club.
Speaker 2: So money talks as well.
Speaker 6: Guys, I'd love to see Nathan Buckley coaching Melbourne fans.
Speaker 4: Just one last week and you mentioned Brad Green. He's one of our mates here on the show as well and a personal friend of Lauren and myself. I mean, he carried himself really well yesterday, but he did mention that the club needs a fresh voice, a new voice going forward. I mean, is this a change Melbourne needs?
Speaker 5: Nader? Oh look I can see that's been nine years and the performances sort of going in and downward trend. So so yeah, I can certainly see that. But look, as I say, Brad, I think he's done a really good job. His communication with the fans and the supporters has been but Zepplary and I know his heart's in the right place. So he would not have done made the move lightly. He would have considered it thoroughly and obviously he and the board believe that's the right way to go.
Speaker 2: Well, look, David Nates, Johnny us their former day's legend.
Speaker 6: A great part. He's still serving those amazing, those amazing dim sims down there.
Speaker 5: We've got those going new bruise happening as well. So get down there.
Speaker 4: You've been shouting the bar Nita bit raspy this morning.
Speaker 5: Very rasty this morning. I've just got a bit of a coffin cold going around.
Speaker 4: It's going to say, it's more a sexy voice that.
Speaker 1: Did you need me to come and take take the management shift for you? So you have a lie down.
Speaker 6: No, don't let face work there.
Speaker 4: He'll just need all the he'd be bleeding cash.
Speaker 1: Dave needs Johnny so the air always good to chat mate, Thanks your time.
Speaker 2: And Bri manded he cracked spot there in South Member, but I haven't been there. Get down there.
Speaker 6: He's a cracking bloke. Dave needs you know. He used to play now mixed netball team and then he got vertigo and he keeps pulling over to get him out of all attack.
Speaker 4: With the bib we played him center forward and a little.
Speaker 6: Bit the netball bibs were pretty Are.
Speaker 2: You still there, Dave?
Speaker 5: Still Lauren?
Speaker 4: Wake up feeling good?
Speaker 6: Following them on the socials,