Speaker 1: Three two one shelter. Hi you old Hi, Hi, your mom's Yeah, I'm not bad. I'm not too bad. Great? Great? Isn't that lovely for a change. I mean, if I was really honest, I'm probably not grouse.
Speaker 2: But still good enough.
Speaker 1: I'm good enough. I'm good enough.
Speaker 2: Hi.
Speaker 1: Everyone, thanks for listening. It's Mela Monte Obbs, and you are listening to your lucky dip, your bite sized little crumper.
Speaker 2: You into crumpets.
Speaker 1: I haven't had a crumpet in god knows how long. Or a muffin, you know, the muffin.
Speaker 2: Yeah, all the crumpets and muffins downstairs. Yeah, like an English muffin.
Speaker 1: To English muffin. Yes, do you have them in the house all the time.
Speaker 2: My kids, especially my son, he loves muffins, English muffins, hair light. Remember the good on your mom tiptops, the one they were like soldiers?
Speaker 1: Yes, m all right, what you've got today?
Speaker 2: Okay, I'm gonna send you a photo of what my lucky dip is on today. Oh God, And it is true. It's true even on Snopes. You know Snopes, that website that validates the authenticity of stories.
Speaker 1: Doesn't know. I have never heard of that, and who validates them too.
Speaker 2: I think it's just like journalists and stuff that look into it. Okay, I know it doesn't seem right, So I'm going to tell you what Monty's looking at. Yes, Monty is looking at a picture of a lady named Josephine Myrtle Corbyn who was known as the four legged Woman. Now it's an old picture, obviously. She was born in eighteen sixty eight.
Speaker 1: Yes, very oldie. Yes.
Speaker 2: And what it looks like is she's sort of sitting down. Imagine you're sitting with your legs spread open. Yeah, And she's also got then it looks like another set of legs, smaller legs in between her regular legs. It looks like the legs, and so her right leg is also bent. So she's clearly got issues with her legs. I mean, she's got four of them, but the other one, one of them clearly doesn't work properly. But the ones in.
Speaker 1: The middle that are half the size of the other ones look like they're just coming out of her moot.
Speaker 2: Well, the two smaller ones, she can move them. She can move them, but they're not strong enough for her to walk on.
Speaker 1: But they're not long enough, they're not long enough. You'd either do the splits with the other legs to walk. Can you put a photo in show notes?
Speaker 2: Oh, if we do a social media grab, I'll put a picture. Oh, you put it up.
Speaker 1: Okay. So if you are following, go onto our Instagram, show and Towel online so you can see this photo. You've got to see this photo.
Speaker 2: Yeah. So the other the foot that's turned inwards that you can see. So the I'm gonna call them regular legs, not the two that are on the inside. One of them she had a club foot, right, the foot's facing inwards, And I'm like, is would that be ironic that she has four legs and only one works? Would you call that ironic? Yes, that's what you would call ironic, right, Okay, so this is what happened she's born. What has happened is she's referred to as a dippigus, which is when she was developing the they say the axis of her body. So say, I guess, like the center of her body split in two. So imagine it's like her body from the waist down has split in half. So it looks like there's the two little legs in the middle and the two outer legs. What it is is that it's like she's say, her left side has grown a regular leg and then a smaller leg, and then her right side has grown a regular leg and a smaller leg. Wow, side by side she has two palvis's.
Speaker 1: Oh my gosh, she's got two vaginas.
Speaker 2: Listen, this is this is unbelievable. So this is where we know it's true because it was documented in medical journals. She has two of everything. This is what was written when she was examined as a baby. The infant Myrtle Corbyn has four legs and two distinct external female organs of generation. So she's got two vaginas with two external openings of the urethra and two external openings of the rectum.
Speaker 1: Thank god.
Speaker 2: So it's like imagine from the waist down she's split in two, almost like two people. So she's got two uteruses, two vaginas, two two bums yep.
Speaker 1: Two like digestive systems. So does each bum work and each vagina work?
Speaker 2: Well, I'm gonna get there. Oh hello, the digestive the digestive system and stuff I think is just one but they must just channel into both sides of from the waist down her. I guess the food goes down and she shits out of both holes. Oh, it says the feces and urine are past most generally simultaneously, particularly the urine. So she's pissing out of both wi holes and so close enough together. I mean, imagine the mess.
Speaker 1: The mess because like, if you think of two lower bodies, like sitting on a toilet's really hard.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know urine is passed most generally simultaneously, particularly the urine from both external urinary and intestinal openings situated respectively between the left and right pairs of legs. The head and trunk are those of a living, well developed, healthy, active infant of about five weeks, so she was five weeks old when this was diagnosed. The lower portion of the body is divided into the members of two distinct individuals near the junction of the spinal column, So it's like she's literally split in She's become two different people from the waist down.
Speaker 1: Could it be one of those situations where it was a twin morphed into one, you know, sometimes it will be like somebody will find a set of teeth somewhearing the body or yeah, anything like that and it's like, oh no, there was a twin and that part developed and.
Speaker 2: I guess it could be, but this is I guess from that time. I mean we're talking about eighteen sixty eight. Yeah, you know, so as things were back in those days. She ended up becoming a circus performer at thirteen, right, God, yeah, but she made good money. It says here that she reportedly made four hundred and fifty dollars a week, which back in back in eighteen hundreds, that's a forge shit ton of money.
Speaker 1: I mean, she would have spent most of it on her psychological issues of people like gasping at the four legged woman.
Speaker 2: Well, she put like the same socks and shoes on all the legs and people loved her. When she was nineteen, she married a doctor called Clinton Bicker and they went on to have five children. Wow, And it's reported.
Speaker 1: Okay, like how do the kids come out?
Speaker 2: Okay, it's reported that she birthed three from one vagina and two from the other. My assumption is whichever hole is being penetrated, so whichever vagina she gets pregnant in is the vagina she delivers in. Because remember she's got two palvis's two uteruses, so if he if she'd gotten pregnant on the left side, then that is the part that would grow the baby.
Speaker 1: Is that not? It's fascinating because also where would her stomach kind of grow out to the side, you know what I mean.
Speaker 2: Like think about Oh yeah, well, I don't know. It's very annoying. There aren't pictures of her pregnant.
Speaker 1: How Like the doc is like, I got two holes, I can, I've got I got four holes. I can if he's into bum bum stuff, but he's got two vagina holes and then he just chooses what one he wants on the set occasion. If she's birthed from both, you know what I mean?
Speaker 2: I know, and I wonder if she had a preference one side better than the other. I don't know. Oh, it's horrible. What I was gonna say, I was gonna say my interchange between two.
Speaker 1: Oh in the one session, yeah bang bang bang left left right. Yeah.
Speaker 2: But yeah, so she had she has these five pregnancies, five healthy babies. So her case was reported in a book written by two doctors who spent time like evaluating her and stuff later on called Anomalies and Curiosities of Medicine. So, and they they determined that, yes, the two vaginas were fully functional, both had independent period cycles. Oh that can you imagine?
Speaker 1: I wonder though, if because you know, when you're around other women and you sync up, if she sunk up with herself.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know, I know that's actually a myth. I heard the sinking. It's not true. It's been disproven. I believe that that's not I believe that it's true. My mum, my sister and I used to all the time and then best friends when we were together all the time, would be the same. Yeah, true, true, But yeah, and you also wonder, like, if you look at that picture, she's very like I guess her hips would be so have to be so wide because even think about imagine you'd have to be making custom undies. Yeah, oh no, hang on, no, you wouldn't. You'd be wearing two pairs of undies, one on each side. Oh yeah, but no, but you couldn't pull it all the way up. Yeah you could, because remember, like you've got a big leg and a little leg, and so is she split in between the legs. I just picture it's like an egg with four legs coming out. It does look like imagine you get to your tummy. Imagine like a oh my god, like a fish tail.
Speaker 1: Yeah.
Speaker 2: That so one side has two legs vagina bum. The other side has two legs vagina bum.
Speaker 1: Yeah. So I mean on a fish towel, you'd need one pair of undies because the one side of the undies wouldn't go, do you know what I mean? In the middle, the undies wouldn't grip.
Speaker 2: I figure that in between, Yeah, there would be maybe like a space there in between.
Speaker 1: I'm not visualizing a space. I wonder what we're all visualizing. We're all visualizing different things at the moment.
Speaker 2: You can't actually wrap your head around the fact that, oh that's actually for real.
Speaker 1: Yes, Wow, it's just amazing. Good on her for getting through life. You know.
Speaker 2: She died in nineteen twenty eight at the age of fifty nine, and doctors offered lots of cash to take her body to study it, but the family didn't want that, and apparently they had her coffin covered in cement and they waited there until the cement dried because they knew that grave robbers had held to go and.
Speaker 1: Take God grave grave robbers.
Speaker 2: I know. Yeah, so that's how claustrophobic.
Speaker 1: Having your coffin covered in cement to even though you're dead, like that makes me feel hectically claustrophobic.
Speaker 2: Ah, it's like the it's like the idea of a mausoleum, Like my grandmother's in a mausoleum. I hate them. I know the ground sounds yuck. But it's like they're in the wall.
Speaker 1: Oh is it?
Speaker 2: Yeah, it feels really impersonal to me.
Speaker 1: She's standing up in the wall with.
Speaker 2: Not standing so it's like, so, imagine you're looking at a big wall, right they put the coffin. It's almost like a draw, so you're actually like you're going that way, but they're stacked. So she's there, and then there could be you know, Barbara on top, and then there's John on top of that and your family. No, it's like walls of it's all people. But obviously the price is like if you're at eye level, that's a price your option than someone who's up high. It's like, I don't know, I don't know.
Speaker 1: And so can you see the coffins when you go in there?
Speaker 2: No, because the coffin gets put inside and then it's like the inside is sealed with some sort of I don't know, limestone or whatever, and then they put like the plak it gets closed up and then the plak is on the outside. Wow, that's wild them.
Speaker 1: Oh yeah, because I've seen like at the at the cemeteries, there's always like the big so the house things you see are they them?
Speaker 2: Know, the houses are a whole other different thing, Like they're like almost like not crips, but you know, like say, like I say, there was a Kavanagh one white Sam and his siblings and his parents or whatever had just bought their whole thing to go in there together. They're all in the one thing. Yeah, I don't know.
Speaker 1: Wow, that was fascinating, malth Thank you for that, like you dip, no worries the four legged women. Make sure yes that you check that photo. It is fascinating. Thank you for joining us, your Championkens. We will be back and we'll chat to you really soon and they love you. Is I really butchered that story