Speaker 1: Hi, I'm Britney Saunders and welcome to Big Business, the place where business is far from boring. And today you have landed in one of my bonus episodes. Now this episode feels different.
Speaker 2: I'll tell you why.
Speaker 1: Normally every week I record in Sydney in the Nova Studios with my producer Xander, and it's just the same routine every time. Well, because I'm going away to Bali for a week and a tiny bit, I'm actually recording this episode in Newcastle and I don't have Xandy here and I feel like, what's going on. I've got April in the room though. Anyway, for today's bonus episode, that feels illegal to be recording here in Newcastle.
Speaker 2: I have lost the message.
Speaker 1: But I had someone DM me and I wasn't sure if it was on my main account or on my Big Business account, but they said that they were curious as to what my week actually looks like, and I thought, what a great question. So I thought, I'm going to try to break down for you today what a week in my life looks like. Which good luck to me recording this because no week is ever the same and no day is ever the same. But let's just get into it. I thought I could also use this week as an example. So what has this week that I'm recording? This looked like no two weeks are ever the same. And I feel like being a CEO, I know you can have like a really strict routine where you know it's Monday, and like your whole day is.
Speaker 2: Blocked out by each hour.
Speaker 1: But I feel like, for myself in particular, and our business in the way it works and all of our staff and how involved I am, I can't really have a superstructured day every single day. I'll definitely have my things locked in that we're definitely doing. For example, it's almost nine am and we're here in this studio because I know that I needed to come and record this podcast. So throughout my weeks, I definitely have my things that are locked in that are not changing. But otherwise I also feel like I just have to be really flexible every day because you never know what's gonna pop up every day, and I'm always just like working with and helping everyone. But let's run you through this week. So today I'm recording this. This is Monday. No it's not, it's Tuesday. That's another thing. The weeks you don't know what day it is. Let's take it back to yesterday, Monday, I was in Brisbane. So every now and then I will travel around to our stores to obviously catch up with everyone, see how the store's going, but also to create some content for the stores, like that's the main reason of the trip. Being from Newcastle, we have an airport and it's absolutely tiny, so we're actually we're lucky that we have an airport and that we can fly everywhere, but the flights are always really random times, all limited. So April and I actually flew to Brisbane on our Sunday afternoon, which was fine. We were happy to do that to be in Brisbane on Monday morning. So yesterday we got to our Germ Side store at around eight am, and April and I had a plan of all the videos that we wanted to make were there from eight until twelve or just before twelve, So in four hours we smashed out I don't know, maybe six different videos, ones of myself and then ones of our team members at Chamside, and then also we did some customer interaction videos which was really exciting.
Speaker 2: I don't know if by the time.
Speaker 1: Yeah, by the time you're listening to this those videos are probably already out, but we had this cool idea to stand out at the front of the store and hand out one hundred dollar gift cards and like get people to come in. And it was really funny because the first couple of women were like, no thanks, and I was like, you don't want one hundred dollars of clothes for free radio? So yeah, we were in term side. That was our Monday morning, smashed out a heap of content. We were out the door in four hours and straight back to the airport. We got back for something yesterday afternoon. That was our entire day today. For example, we went to our Newcastle store to film some content, stopped into my cafe and now I'm here in this studio recording, and then the rest of my day is we're heading back to the office.
Speaker 2: I know this all seems really random, but this is literally what my life. Life is.
Speaker 1: A lot of it is based around content. We're heading back to the office, or I'll probably swing past the warehouse. Then I'll go to the office and spend the rest of the day with our marketing team working on things with them. And then later this afternoon I'm shooting some e com on actually our national retail manager, Grace. We've got some tall pants that are coming out because our community has been asking us, please, please please make more tall items, so we've made those and Grace is tall. So she's going to be our website model, which is going to be really funny because she's stunning, but she's a bit awkward when it comes to modeling, so that's going to be really funny. We'll probably make great content out of that as well. So that's my day today. It's like a bit of podcasting content, working with our team, and then shooting some e com in the afternoon.
Speaker 2: And when I'm in.
Speaker 1: The office, I feel as if though I can't have anything that I personally want to work on. I can't sit at my laptop and just work on something for myself. Like when I'm in the office, it's just I'm working with everyone else and it's just hey, bri it hebri it abrid like every five seconds, which is so fine. Another huge part of my role that takes up like most of my time. I would say, besides the content, is I am the main stock buyer an orderer for Fate order?
Speaker 2: Is that hey? Is that even a word? It is now.
Speaker 1: I do that with our operations manager, Siggy Cigarette, and we try to do that like at least two times a week, like get together and sit down and oversee all of our stock. We write every single order for every single location for our online store. I also do a lot of this at nighttime. And that's another thing I guess is the stuff that I don't get done in the day because I'm working with everyone else, I get done at night. And then people say why do you do that, Like you need to switch off, But like when you love what you do, like I don't mind. I go home every afternoon, I'm straight on my laptop and that's actually when I think I'm the most productive. So yeah, stock ordering and buy it takes up a huge part of my role, as well as sampling, so I sample all the pieces on myself, so I'm constantly trying those on, talking to our manufacturer, going back and forth making changes. That's another huge part of my role. I obviously then also have our podcasts, which one of them.
Speaker 2: You're listening to right now.
Speaker 1: So I have Big Business, which is this podcast, and then I also have High Scrollers with my friend Matt Aka. Alright, Hey, and that always takes up one day of my week. It's generally a Monday. Sometimes we can't do Mondays, but most of the time that's my Monday podcast day in Sydney. What else have we got on this week April? It's mainly just like content and brainstorming, chatting with staff. If we ever have someone new in the office that they can learn from me, I'll be doing a bit of that as well. For example, at the moment, we've just hired a new social media coordinator whose name is Claire, so I'm helping out a bit with her coming on board and teaching her the ropes. But the good thing is our marketing teams quite big now, so we've kind of got this team of people that can always help out when someone's new and they can learn off everyone. It's a lot of talking to staff just directly about their roles.
Speaker 2: Maybe they need help with something.
Speaker 1: We do a lot of planning out photo shoots, like figuring out what collections dropping next, ordering stock plus podcasts. I say, like, those are the main things that take up my week every single week, and it might be a whole lot of content one week and then not much the next week, or like it's mixed and match. But yeah, in a nutshell, content, stock ordering, sampling, podcasting, and talking directly with staff are my main things. And then there's all the other shit. There's all the other stuff too, like talking with real estate agents if we're opening a news store. I talk with our builders pretty often, almost every day, and our architect Dylan that we design all of our stores with.
Speaker 2: It's just like lots of.
Speaker 1: Tiny little jobs that make up my role and I absolutely love it. And I know it sounds like a lot, but I've given up a lot over the years, especially over the last twelve months. I used to do a lot of our website, like organizing all of our collection pages and all that kind of stuff. But we've moved a lot of people around in the company, which has freed up my time more to just concentrate on those main things that I do. And yeah, that's a little look into my week. I'm not one of those people. I've seen people like jump on TikTok and they say so Monday six am, I wake up, six fifteen, I meditate six thirty, I eat breakfast six forty five, and then like this meeting at nine on whatever, Like my life isn't really like that.
Speaker 2: Like I said in the beginning.
Speaker 1: Of this episode, I have my things that are locked in and I know I'm doing, and the rest is just like going with the flow of the day. And maybe there'll be fires that I need to put out in the day, or someone's.
Speaker 2: You know, having issues with a certain staff member.
Speaker 1: It's really just all about being super flexible, and I love that. I don't think I would like knowing what I'm doing every half an hour of the day. I kind of like the randomness of my role, and I know my main things that I need to get done. I know the goals that I want to achieve. I know the pieces of content that I want to make for that week. But the rest of it is like a mixed bag of lollies. But I really love that, and that works for me being a bit chaotic. Even though my role right now is still quite varied, I will say that just a few years ago or two years ago, it was even more varied than what I'm doing now. Like, not that long ago, I was still like in the warehouse, like moving stock or helping pack orders. I was doing a heap on our website, whereas like over the last couple of years, I've really tried to refine my role and work out as much as I want to have my fingers in everything, and I want to help with retail operations and I want to help with day to day warehouse operations. I've learned that, especially for me, I need to focus on the things that matter the most, that's going to drive the business forward, like that is my job. I'm essentially the top salesperson for the company that I've got to keep the company moving forward. I actually saw a video on Instagram. I think it was Simon from Culture Kings, and he was saying, how when you're the CEO of the company, you have to be the number one salesperson in the in the entire company.
Speaker 2: I was like, that's so true.
Speaker 1: But yeah, I really try not to waste my time doing things that don't move the company forward, and instead get other people in to do those smaller tasks so that my day isn't taken up by all these tiny little things and instead I can focus on the bigger picture. And another thing that I used to do a lot of all the time because it was so easy, was I used to do a lot of the modeling for fate on our website and on our Instagram, and we got into a habit of doing that because it was so easy. It was like, oh, let's just shoot it on brit So like once a week we'd be doing an e comm shoot on me, which is our website images, and then we've been doing heaps of content for our Instagram, like you know, the modely pretty stuff. And because like it costs nothing for me to be a model, whereas like when we work with models it costs thousands of dollars.
Speaker 2: There's another episode that.
Speaker 1: I could do as well, like the true cost of doing a photo shoot, Like it's just like three thousand dollars to poot one model. It's crazy, but it's one of those things that we have to do. But one thing that we've tried to do is book the model instead and not use me every time, also because we don't want it to just be like a Britney Lee Saunder's website. That's another thing that I that used to take up a lot more of my time and it doesn't anymore. But yeah, that's a look at a week in my life. I know it seems chaotic, and it kind of is. I feel like our whole workplace is kind of it's like organized chaos, but that's the way I love it. I thrive under chaotic situations and I love just doing whatever the day is thrown at me. But hopefully that gives you a bit of a not so much in depth, but a bit of a look at a week in my life and kind of what my role looks like. But that's all for today's bonus and I will see you all on Monday for my main episode. Don't forget to rate five stars if you haven't already, and you know where to find me on socials. Bie