Speaker 1: Is finally opened. Come meet our newest children in Africa.
Speaker 2: A blonde woman stands among smiling children holding lollipops. A foundation banner hangs behind them. She announces that a new orphanage has opened in Africa.
Speaker 1: Look, they are laughing, singing, dancing, laying together.
Speaker 3: She's finally allowed to be with you.
Speaker 2: But the evidence collected during an ABC investigation suggests that the woman in the video isn't real, neither of the children or the banner behind them. The scene appears to have been generated using artificial intelligence. Millions of people have watched an Australian influencer promise food, shelter and hope to children some of the world's most critical crisis zones. Now her foundation is facing questions about its humanitarian claims, the money it's solicited and the damage AI generated appeals could due to public trust in charities. I'm Daniel James and you're listening to seven AM today ABC News verified journalist Matt Martino, the Lily j Foundation and the tangled web behind it humanitarian work. It's Thursday, July twenty three. Matt, to begin with, tell me how you came across this story.
Speaker 4: So there's an old manage in journalism that the length of a tip is in verse two its usefulness too, and that really came up in this story. We received a foreword tip about Lily Jay, totally anonymous, no link, and so we just you know, googled her, looked into it and came across her Instagram and her foundation come with.
Speaker 3: Me to visit the orphans today. So I'm like, today we gave new shoes, clothes, learning materials, and sweet fill the children.
Speaker 4: And the thing that really struck me to begin with was this foundation had only really been set up in sort of August last year, but it was claiming to do all this work in places like Gaza Uganda, Nepal, Philippines, su Dan, building mosques and establishing orphanages and bakeries of bakery and Gaza Billy Jay.
Speaker 3: It's actually open.
Speaker 4: You know. What we do with ABC News verifies verification journalism, so we sort of test whether content we find on social media all the time matches up with reality and AI is a big part of that. So we started to find a lot of inconsistencies with reality on the content that Lily Jay was producing.
Speaker 2: Who is Lily j What can you tell us about her.
Speaker 4: So, Lily j is an Australian influencer. She's from Queensland. She's documented her conversion to Islam on social media and she's garnered quite a large following through hot takes about Islam promoting the religion.
Speaker 3: Guys, you will not believe what just happened to me at the mosqu today. Today's Friday.
Speaker 2: Happy Jamma everyone.
Speaker 1: I just went to the mosque and I sat after Jumat with my Quran and I literally I opened the Quran at a random page. I love doing this when I'm like, just need a little bit of guidance for Mala or something.
Speaker 4: And her main account has a history which goes back to twenty twelve, so we know a bit about her. We've seen pictures of quite a lavish lifestyle of high end jewelry and vacations and luxury locations. We do know that at one point she was a singer. We know that she was also at one point an aspiring actress. So she's worn a few hats, we would say, before turning towards being an Instagram influencer and ostensible humanitarian. And she's then sort of used that following that she's built where she solicits donations from the public, and.
Speaker 2: So you get the tip off and you start looking at these videos and posts. What was the first sign to you that some of it might have been fake.
Speaker 4: So there are a few videos, but one really jumped out of me of an orphanage in Uganda that Lily j claim that she had established. So at the beginning of this video, Lily Jay appears sort of surrounded by African children in front of this sort of orange building. In the background there's a banner that says Lily Jay Foundation, and underneath that banner is a window. She announces that the orphanage is open, and then it cuts to another shot of exactly the same location, but in that shot the window has actually moved and the banner is gone.
Speaker 3: Did you know there is over one hundred and fifty million orphan children in the world right now?
Speaker 4: And then looking through the rest of the video, we discovered more instances of things that look like they could be AI. So at one point on a worker's T shirt, on the back of his T shirt, an extra L starts to appear and sort of meld and disappear in the Lily Jay Foundation name.
Speaker 3: We bought them new shoes, We washed them, gave them new clothes, everything a child needs.
Speaker 4: And at another point there's a shot of a child wearing a Lily Jay Foundation T shirt. But the Lily Jay Foundation logo is upside down.
Speaker 1: This is only just the beginning in shell life.
Speaker 3: Together, we can make a bigger difference.
Speaker 4: So these are all things that indicate that perhaps AI has been involved, because they look like the typical errors that AI would make.
Speaker 2: So you see these images that appear to have either been generated or manipulated. Which of the foundations claims were you simply unable to independently verify on top of that.
Speaker 4: So the Ugandan orphanage, yes, we contacted the Ugandan government who confirmed to us that there was no orphanage registered under AID and or the name that Lily Jay had given to it or her foundation, the Lily Jay Foundation. We also contacted other AID organizations in the region and they hadn't heard of Lily Jay or this orphanage either. In Gaza, the bakery that she claimed to establish, we were unable to geolocate that bakery. We contacted AID groups there as well, who hadn't heard of it either. You know, Gaza's not a huge place, and there's not a huge quantity of aid organizations in there. Someone somewhere would have heard of a bakery that's feeding a vast quantity of children every day, but we were unable to find any evidence of it at all.
Speaker 2: The foundation wasn't just posting about its humanitarian work, it was also asking for donations to support it. What do we know about how much money it was getting in where that money was going.
Speaker 4: It's really difficult to quantify how much money might have been donated to the foundation. What we do know is that Lily Jay has a very large following, but not only that, she gets a lot of engagement from what appeared to be genuine Muslim on her account, they post messages of support, they talk about how they've donated, and some of them sort of send comments saying, oh, I haven't got my proof of donation yet, are you going to send it? Or you know, they talk about how they got the proof of the donation. So putting a dollar figure on it is really difficult, but I think it's safe to say that a substantial number of people have donated. It wouldn't be chump change. The curious thing about it is that on her website, the foundation actually admits that it is not a registered.
Speaker 2: Charity, So what does that mean.
Speaker 4: So the foundation is registered in Australia as a corporation, it has directors, but it's not registered with the Australian Charities and Not for Profits Commission. That's the government regulator in Australia which overseas these charities. They're accountable to the regulator. They have to supply transparent reports to them about where the money is going and if there's any wrongdoing, the regulator can intervene. It means also that if you donate to this foundation, you can't tax deduct your donation, so there's not a lot of transparency here. We're not able. I mean it's a very young foundation, but we're not able to look into its reports. No one is. It's not accountable to the government when people donate to it. There's no pay per trail for where the money is actually going, and that's something that I think is really important when you're dealing with other people's money to be really accountable about how you're spending it.
Speaker 2: Still to can't what established humanitarian groups say about the Lily Jay Foundation, but as you've looked further into the foundation. What have you been able to find out about the woman whose name it uses Lily j Does her name appear anywhere in the foundation's corporate records.
Speaker 4: Lily Jay's name does not appear anywhere in the corporate records in Australia. There's three directors on those corporate records. I did manage to speak to one of those directors, a Sired Moson. He confirmed that he was a director of the foundation, but then he told me that it was very busy where he was at that point and that he would call me back and hung up the phone, and then he didn't respond to any further inquiries. After we spoke to Sired Mosen and put in inquiries with the Lily Jay Foundation, things started to disappear. A lot of the content from the website started to disappear, and the donation's domain taken off the page and replaced with a statement about how the aid was still continuing and to follow for updates. Additionally, another website which Lily Ja was involved in, Real Media Group, which had announced that Lily Jay had won a humanitarian award. That website also went dark after we inquired about it.
Speaker 2: Since publishing the investigation. Lily Ja has responded publicly tell me about what she said.
Speaker 4: So Lily Jay has responded since we published our reporting over a couple of very long YouTube videos.
Speaker 3: What you guys don't understand is that this is a carefully orchestrated attack against me. Let me tell you the facts first, and then you can decide gobs back. I don't even know what to say.
Speaker 4: She denied that the orphanage was fake, and she says that the bakery itself, that she never said she opened a bakery, that she was always just working with partners on the ground, and that the bakery was now inaccessible and those partners had moved to another part of Gaza. She's still working with.
Speaker 3: Them and now we are operating.
Speaker 1: Here is she reading red to the people of Gaza.
Speaker 3: And no, we won't be telling you the location of this bakery.
Speaker 4: We will not be telling you the location of this bakery.
Speaker 3: We do not want it at tapped again like the first bakery.
Speaker 4: She claimed to call some of the organizations or some of the initiatives that she had established live your.
Speaker 3: Camera frozen, ah, here we go, slowly, come high la comsala, how are you?
Speaker 4: It's not clear what time of day these really actually occurred, or whether they are genuine or staged or anything like that.
Speaker 1: What are we giving today is what are you giving today to the children?
Speaker 3: Okay, yeah, that looks great, very nice.
Speaker 4: She says that AI was used in her content.
Speaker 3: Short promotional content contained small elements of AI created by our marketing team. It was never ever meant to substitute any real aid going on. If a video has ME in the mid beginning of the video, it gets a million views. If it doesn't, it gets like ten thousand views. It's just a simple way to get more awareness out there.
Speaker 4: That might be a reasonable explanation if it were true, but it's demonstrably false. There is AI all throughout the duration of some of the videos that we have investigated. But what is really conspicuously absent is an explanation for the award that they announced on the website that lily j had won. This award doesn't exist outside of lily Jay's platforms. The images are AI. You put them through open AI's synthid detector, which is an imperceptible watermark that open ai adds to its content, and it comes up as positive for being generated by open ais tools. So they are unequivocally AI. She has not offered an explanation as to why she needed to generate AI images and give herself a fake award. If you've got genuine humanitarian credentials, then the question is why do you feel the need to present yourself that way with a fake award. That's something that she still hasn't a and I think her donors really need answers on that, because if she is resorting to that kind of fakery, then it casts a paul over any humanitarian work that she claims that she might have done.
Speaker 2: You've spoken to established humanitarian groups who have delivered eight in some of these areas for a long time. What do they say about all this? So the Red Crescent told.
Speaker 4: Us that generally speaking, it had noticed a bit of a proliferation in unverified charities operating in recent years. We also spoke to Tim Costello, who's the former CEO of a World Vision. He basically said that if your charity isn't registered with the Australian charities are not for profit Commission, do not donate.
Speaker 2: And of those other ad charities that open to those humanitarian groups, how worried are they about AI? And its usage and making this potentially a broader problem for them and for the charitable sector more broadly.
Speaker 4: Well, the thing about charities and stories like this is that when they come out, it makes people think twice about donating. And so the worry is that, you know, with the proliferation of AI, there would be a degradation of trust and that would flow through to people not wanting to give their money to aid organizations. It's incredibly important that people continue to donate because that work that they are doing, the genuine humanitarian work, is so important. It saves lives and it improves lives, and so it is a diabolical problem when it is so easy to manipulate and fake genuine aid on the internet. It's a problem that's probably only going to continue to get worse as these tools become much easier to operate for people.
Speaker 2: Well, Matt, thanks for your work on this. It's fascinating stuff and thanks for coming on seven am. Thanks for having me on seven am. Did approach lately Jay for comment on the claims that have been made. We didn't receive a response. Also in the news, Iranian State Television has announced to air defenses are being activated in the capital Tehran, following the eleventh straight night of US attacks on the country. It comes as US President Donald Trump stated he has quote no interest in talks with Iran at this stage. He suggested that the US could soon target a suspect that Uranian and Richmond, while also stating US intelligence sees no activity at the facility, and A nationwide test of a national emergency warning system will go ahead next week despite concerns about the extent of its coverage. The test of the new Odds Alert system, which sends a ten second alarm to compatible mobile phones in an area impacted by an emergency, will be carried out on Monday before it goes live in October, but state and territory leaders have raised concerns that the alert won't work on some older models of mobile phones or Rich Australians in remote parts of the country. I'm Daniel James. Thank you for listening to seven AM. We'll be back tomorrow.