Speaker 1: We have a breaking news for us now, and in fact we will go to justinto Alabam.
Speaker 2: Sent me a message.
Speaker 3: After a chaotic twenty four hours of backroom plotting and mounting pressure, the Victorian Premier resigned.
Speaker 2: I've made the difficult decision to step aside as leader of the Victorian State Parliamentary Labor Party and as Premier of Victoria.
Speaker 3: Her replacement and former Deputy Leader, Ben Carroll now just has four months to turn Labour's fortunes around and what's shaping up to be the most unpredictable election the state has ever seen.
Speaker 4: I am not Daniel Andrews. I am not just Ciner Allen. I will do things differently because different times require a new approach.
Speaker 3: Polls show an unprecedented three party contest, with voters split almost equally between the unpopular Labor government, an opposition ridden by scandal, and a rising one Nation.
Speaker 2: I saw off too liberal leaders. Now I expect my successor will see off the third and if they don't, one nation certainly will.
Speaker 3: I'm Ruby Jones and you're listening to seven AM today ABC Melbourne Morning's host Raph Epstein on what Labour's change of leader means for an already chaotic election race and whether Australia's most progressive state could turn orange. It's Wednesday, July twenty nine, so raph on Monday the Victorian Premier, Justin to Allen was digging her heels in. Yesterday she handed in her resignation. Walk me through how this played out.
Speaker 5: This played out.
Speaker 6: I have to say this played out exactly as the plotters intended. There's been pressure building under Sintra Allen's leadership for a number of month, have been people encouraging Ben Carroll to do something. Last week though they bunk it down together. Actually all went to Balaat together, all the Labor MPs in the Victorian Parliament and the Police minister whose name is Anthony Carbines. He was like, this isn't working and you're driving the government off a cliff. What it meant was that when he then faced the cameras the next day, he then was asked for all this is true?
Speaker 5: Did it happen? He didn't deny it. He just did the oh, well, you know, I don't talk about internal matters.
Speaker 4: Do you think that he should be donored?
Speaker 6: Well, you're referring to the caucus conference, and I don't comment on caucus meetings. That is really what sparked this. And then actually went to her on Monday morning a delegation of ministers and factional MPs and said, look, you've lost the room, You've lost caucus. She said, ah, nah, you're not doing this. She has been telegraphing for ages publicly and privately. If you do this, I will effectively burn the house down. If you come for me, she writes to the state Secretary, she says, I want you to repair all the members. We're gonna have a leadership ballot. The plotters were always confident that she would eventually FOLLLD, but the premiers backers. I cannot begin to convey the anger. They are furious with the plotters. I had one MP almost crying, saying she deserves the right to go to the people. Keep in much she didn't face the voters. Dan Andrews handed over to her after the last election. But once all the phones started running hot on Monday evening and into Tuesday morning, I think that's when the Premier just introl and realized, you know what, I don't have the support. We then thought it would all smooth out and there'd be a simple transition to Ben Carroll. But then we had a crazy few hours on Tuesday morning.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it got pretty chaotic when a third contender put their hand up as well for the premiership, and then Withdrew almost immediately tell me about what happened.
Speaker 6: Yeah, So keep in mind, anytime there's a contest between two Leeds, it has to go to the members. So the meeting was for ten o'clock. It wasn't until twenty minutes past nine that we found out for sure Cinrall is not going to contest the leadership.
Speaker 2: I will shortly chair a caucus meeting to elect a new leader. Should Ben Carroll emerge as our next Labor Leader and Labor Premier, he will have my congratulations and unqualified support.
Speaker 6: So everyone then, as used or at least everyone outside of the Labor Party caucus goes, oh, well, easy done. There's no other contender. Ben Carroll will be it soon it comes out there. Oh hang on the just CenTra Olan loyalist Sonya kill Kenny, who also happens to be the Attorney General and the Planning Minister and the Finance Minister. Oh I don't know, Sonya kill Kenny's going to contest the leadership that immediately raised the prospect between about ten and eleven o'clock, well, hang on, that means at least twenty four hours for the different leadership contenders to gather nominations, and who knows after that, days or even weeks of campaigning between Ben Carroll who's now the Premier, and son you kill or Kenny. In the few months we've got before the actual election campaign, before the whole Victorian public, there were some really nasty texts flying thick and fast. It has all resolved. They finally back down. The people who were furious that Jacintrellen has been deposed back down. But lots of allegations of driving the party off the cliff, lots of allegations that instead of being faceless men, you're a bunch of headless trucks. Lots of allegations of In fact, someone said to me that the Premier and her supporters are prepared to burn the house down and to burn all the bodies inside as well. Now it's an ugly metaphor, but they mint it. The mistrust is visceral, it's real. They've got a paper over it. While fighting off the coalition and fighting off one nation and also fighting off the Greens in some in the city seas. So it's ugly, it's messy. They've got a new face and we're going to get some pretty significant new policies as well.
Speaker 3: Okay, so four months out from the election, polls until now have been showing Labor, the coalition and one Nation locked into this incredibly tight contest. Those polls they obviously right on everyone, including within the Labor party room. So can a change in leader? Can Ben Carroll change Labour's fortunes?
Speaker 5: My instant guests would be no.
Speaker 6: I mean, there's no one who's thought for a long time Ben Carroll's the superstar of Victorian politics that Labor needs. Now. This is nothing against him, but he's not some sui generis out of the box, one of a kind politician of his generation. They're all fine in this government, just like the state Opposition cabinet is fine. But he's the bearer of hopes that there'll be significant policy change. I just wanted you to think about the number one policy, the number one thing the plot is want and the number one thing Ben Carroll will announce is a Royal Commission into corruption in the construction industry.
Speaker 4: My first action as Premier will be to call a Royal Commission into the construction sector. We will also immediately establish a special prosecutor that will work in parallel with the Royal Commission.
Speaker 6: These issues, to be frank have lingered since the nineteen eighties. If Labor now sets up a Royal Commission and they've got a few months, I guess to get it going. Does that genuinely change people's perceptions of what happened over the last few years. I've had tons of people ring in and say, look, lifelong Labor voter, not going to change my vote, but oh my god, why haven't they called a royal commission. The media's been debating the merits of a Royal commission for years. For the very first time on Monday, while just seeing trail and was still Premier that actually had an argument. They actually had a fight. Do we need a Royal Commission in the construction industry? I do think significant issue. I don't know if it's a vote changing issue. You might be pissed off with Labor about that, but if you are still on the left you might then vote Green or independent. Of course, if you're a coalition voter, it's a huge issue.
Speaker 5: But you're already on the coalition side.
Speaker 6: We've got a first term MP in Jess Wilson leading the coalition. Then, to make it even harder, I don't know who one nation's lead it is in Victoria. We don't know who it is. I think there's one, maybe two candidates. They say they're going to have candidates in all eighty eight seats. It just makes it impossible to predict what's going to happen. And sure the elections in November, people are going to be able to vote. They'll be able to put a one in a box in fourteen weeks time, twelve weeks of the campaign, fourteen weeks until early voting opens. So in electoral terms we are five minutes to midnight from finding out what happens.
Speaker 3: Still to come as labor scrambles, could one nation come out on top rap As she resigned, Jacinta Allen said, I saw off two liberal leaders. Now I expect my successor will see off a third. And if they don't, one nation certainly will so talk me through the most recent polling. As one nation has gained ground, what are their chances in Victoria in four months time?
Speaker 6: One nation is doing something I don't think any political party has done in all of the time I've been a journal for thirty years.
Speaker 5: We're in really really new territory.
Speaker 6: If I can just be really nerdy and give you the actual numbers, the Coalition are polling at about twenty seven percent, the Alps polloing at just under twenty five percent, so that's less than one in four voters, and one nation are averaging about twenty three percent. That's just remarkable territory for Victoria to be in, and for any political survey in Australia to be in.
Speaker 5: By comparison, when Labor.
Speaker 6: When Labor last lost an election, so sixteen years ago, they were polling at thirty six percent, so they were polling ten more than ten percent more, but they lost the election and the Coalition were polling like in the forties and not in the twenties. But to have one nation in the mix as a major party polling basically the same in the twenties alongside the major parties, it just means all of the usual tools and the ways that we predict what might happen all gets thrown up in the air. So it makes it very very difficult to work out what's going to happen next?
Speaker 3: And as you say, those polling numbers that despite the party not having a state leader or any official candidates yet.
Speaker 1: Nine dot com dot Au paid a visit to One Nation's headquarters in Pakenham, which is located around sixty kilometers from the Melbourne CBD, and there was not a single soul in sight. The office was mostly a ghost town, save for a few placards inside and a cardboard cutout of Paul in Hanson?
Speaker 3: Will One Nation be able to get organized enough to field candidates in all eighty eight seats as it's promising?
Speaker 6: Your question is a great question. Can they actually field candidates in every one of the eighty eight seats?
Speaker 5: I don't know.
Speaker 6: The South Australian experience may or may not be a great guide. They had a lot of people out there. Did they have a lot of the problems with those candidates? Absolutely they did.
Speaker 3: We begin tonight with a spectacular blow to One Nation's election campaign.
Speaker 2: Justice South Australians prepared to cast their votes.
Speaker 7: Oh wee Baxter, the thirty one year old, was a no show at a court appearance in the where he was due to face a charge of sexually touching a woman without consent.
Speaker 5: Police say it's getting very very late in the piece. This is July.
Speaker 6: We're talking about an election in November, so you've got to nominate within a few months. But then on top of that, one nation's polling at twenty percent in inner metropolitan seats, so one nation's polling higher than the Greens.
Speaker 5: This is a red bridge pole that's happened a few times. It just makes it really confusing. What does that mean?
Speaker 6: Will one Nation voters follow one Nation preference card? Will one Nation voters preference the Conservatives ahead of preferencing the Labor Party. I don't even know who the Victoria one Nation leader is. There's someone organizing the party, but it's not the person who's going to be in parliament.
Speaker 5: So it just makes it really difficult to talk about an election at the end of November.
Speaker 3: And let's talk about the coalition. When it comes to the new premier, Ben Carroll, will they see his ascent as a threat or as an opportunity for them?
Speaker 6: It's an opportunity because you can say, oh, well, if her own party didn't want to sinker out, if the government can't even decide who they want.
Speaker 5: To lead the place. Why would devote for them?
Speaker 6: So that's an asset. It's a good line. The Coalition have got real problems in regional Victoria. That's where one nation is really surging. I'm sure the National Party are really worried. The National Party have done well despite the Liberal Party's re actions in recent elections in Victoria. I am sure they are concerned. One nation's polling thirty sometimes forty percent in the regions. They've got enough of their own problems. They do have stability now, however, they haven't been without their own problems. It's eleven or twelve days since the Liberal Party kicked Marodmi out. She has today said she's going to leave parliament and won't be running. So it's not like people aren't getting reminders of the fantastic ability of the Victorian Liberal Party to politically self immolate. They've been doing that spectacularly well for a very long time. Jess Wilson's biggest job is just to convince people that they have changed. That's a tall order as well. But who knows right? Who knows where people get their news from? Who knows if people know who Jess Wilson is? Who knows how many Victorians know who Ben Carroll is, and then we don't have a one nation leader in Victoria.
Speaker 5: It makes it really tough to read.
Speaker 3: So, Ralph, when you look at the state of play in Victoria right now, what do you think this election will tell us about where the rest of the country is headed, particularly when it comes to one nation.
Speaker 6: I think usually a significant number of people separate state and federal factors out. I think a lot of people are aware of what the labor government's done, hospitals, roads. They know what the issues are, whether or not they think they're important, whether or not they think corruption is significant, whether or not it's being cleaned up, whether they think death significant. I think most of the time people are able to separate those things out. Does one nation complicate that?
Speaker 5: Sure? Absolutely?
Speaker 6: But the reason I'm so cautious, and I know people will think I'm sitting on the fence. I lived through all of the anger at Dan Andrews over those lockdowns like that was this that was real, That was angry. What happened at the end of that, They increased their majority, they got an extra seat. Not many people were predicting that everyone was writing Labor off at the last election three and a half years ago at the end of twenty two, after the tough COVID lockdowns. So it just makes it really hard to tell and the revolution we're living in. I'm talking to you on one of these damn gadgets controlled by all of the biggest companies in the world that are all run by people in America who's got some really poisonous values that I really.
Speaker 5: Find a lot of trouble with. It just means everything. Every card's been thrown up into the air well.
Speaker 3: Ralph, thank you so much for your.
Speaker 5: Time, absolute pleasure. It was always rumy.
Speaker 3: Also in the news, two senior leaders at the Australian Council of Train Union have announced they'll be stepping back from their roles. ACTU Secretary Sally McManus and President Michelle O'Neill say they've made the decision to make way for a new generation of leadership at the union, which represents one point eight million members. The pair formed the actu's first all female leadership team and have led the peak body for almost a decade. During that time, achieving what they describe as forty seven new workplace rights that have become law under the Alberhezi government and Australians are being warned to get used to higher fuel prices, as Foreign Minister Penny Wong says the government intends to discontinue the sixteen cent per leader discount this coming Sunday. The recent fuel excise was implemented on April first, before being halved from thirty two cents per leader to sixteen in July. Oil prices tipped over one hundred US dollars a barrel last week for the first time since May. The government says its focus is now on cost of living relief and ensuring stable supplies of fuel and fertilizer into Australia. I'm Ruby Jones. Thanks for listening.