Speaker 1: A cop said to me once. Crooks they only know two times, daytime and nighttime. You didn't get paid much, but you could sleep there. There was always a chance of backing a winner using inside information, and so it did attract in those days a rag Tag and Bobdale collection of no goods. The drink was big for most of them. Those few police and crooks who didn't drink tended to live longer and get along better than those who did. I'm Andrew rule is his life in crimes. But this is not the usual episode. This is another of our irregular segments of Q and A. That is questions and answered. You ask the questions, and I attempt to answer them if I think I can. A mailbox has been overflowing, and now over to Johnny Burton to ask the questions.
Speaker 2: Hi, there, Andrew, we have, as you say, an overflowing mail bag. Thank you very much for everyone for their questions. Some questions we cannot answer for legal or other reasons. Other ones have been asked by multiple people, so we've generally credited the first person to ask the question. And there are some spectacular questions in this lot. So Greg and others have asked, do we know if the right types of dogs were used in the search for Ballarat woman Sam Murphy.
Speaker 1: Well, the right type of dogs were used to find electronic material. They're great. These federal police dogs are trained to find things like USB's or phones or laptops or whatever. However, I would argue that in the first instance, what is lacking all over Australia, at Ballarat and everywhere else all over Australia, what we don't have is the capacity to track quickly missing people. When someone goes missing in a sty we do not seem to have the right dogs available to fly in at say six hours notice, twelve hours notice, and pick up the trail and follow it to wherever it leads. Now, if it leads to a body, so be yet, at least you've found the body. If it leads to a dead end, at least you know that that person, the missing person, got to that particular point and then presumably was abducted in a vehicle or whatever it might be. It would give some answers. And I know that we've talked about this a lot over the last year or two. But until the authorities apply the same value to tracker or trail dogs as they do to other highly trained dogs, such as the ones used a customs to find contraband and so on. Until we do that, we will continue to not find lost people. All ought to find their bodies much later. And I would suggest that if you were related to a lost person, let's just say a lost child, you'd be much happy to see a trail dog turn up in the first twelve hours to try and find the lost person while they were alive, rather than to see the police producer cadaver dog six weeks later to look for the body of your lost child. I'll let you be the judge of that.
Speaker 2: Hope that answers your question. Greg now to Stephen, and Stephen wants to talk about Ron Riddles form a homicide cop and podcast host, TV host and many other things guest on this show and other heralds on podcasts, and he's got I think a new podcast in the works or live now anyway, Stephen asks if you can share any experiences or stories of Ron over the journey.
Speaker 1: Ron always had the reputation in the police force of being precise and fastidious and painstak He was the guy who didn't take the shortcuts, unlike a lot of those old time homicide coppers and old time coppers detectives. He wasn't a big drinker. He was a fairly clean living sort of guy. He didn't really fit the same mold as many of his contemporaries, which made him a bit different from some of them. It also meant back in those days, I think that he got better results than some others because he was sober, he was hard working, he did have a great work ethic. I think a personal morality. I think he always thought that he owed it to victims and to their families to find bodies or to find the killer, or whatever it might be. And there's no doubt that a lot of people shared that opinion of Ron in the past. In retirement, Ron has come to the fore and become well known as the man who who instigated the inquiry that led ultimately to the exoneration of Jason Roberts in the Silk Miller murders of the two police Now that right or wrong, and we weren't going to all the ifs, buts, and maybe he's here right or wrong. That meant that Ron was going squarely against the prevailing opinion in the police force, and it made him deeply unpopular with many police and ex police, rather than being the popular figure he had been when he worked I think with the Police Association. And so we now have a situation where Ron is a little bit on the outer with many police and ex police, particularly ex police of his own era. I doubt young police care much about him, and so that might explain that Ron has decided to in retirement to stay in the public eye, to respond to a lot of requests for him to appear on radio, television, whatever it might be, rather than just fade away into the sunset. Ron has never done any harm to me, and I think he's done a lot of good work. Is he always right? I'd say only most of the time.
Speaker 2: And if you don't mind allowing me a shameless plug. Andrew the herald Son has a podcast called The Devil's Apprentice, which is available wherever you get your podcasts, in which Ron features, and that is about Silk Miller murders and the subsequent trials of Jason Roberts. A question now from Jay, and I have to say, Jay, whoever you are out there, and in listening to Land, you've put in some excellent questions and we shall read one Now can you say, and maybe you can't say, but what an average day they looked like for an armed robber or that sort of ilk in Melbourne in the nineteen eighties. What the sort of routine these people would have if they had a routine.
Speaker 1: Well, one thing is there was plenty of work available for them then, because there were a lot of banks, and a lot of bank branches, and a lot of building societies, and they all had money in them because in those days we all got paid cash every payday in the eighties until the end of the eighties, at least, we got cash money and we spent it in cash. And therefore there was a lot of cash washing around the system. Every football game, every whatever it might be you went to, they were collecting cash. This meant that armed robbers had a cornacopia of choice when it came to robbery targets. And it meant that every other day there was some sort of big arm robbery, big or big enough armed robbery. Banks, building societies, payrolls, they were going off everywhere until the fairly sudden introduction over a relatively short time, say a couple of years, of bank security, where they put in these massive thick plate glass screens that would thump down and all that sort of stuff. The security actually made the armed robber redundant within a couple of years, and that's when they switched for a while more to cash vans and armored cars, and then eventually those sort of armed robbers almost went out of business.
Speaker 2: And I think to continue on these shameless plug extravaganza, I think in Life and Crimes, Jay, if you look in the feed we have, I think a two part are called something like the Golden Age of armed robbers or armed robbery that goes through some.
Speaker 1: Of these look. To answer the question more fully, I think they said, what does a day look like? Well, a cop said to me once. Crooks they only know two times. He said, daytime and nighttime. They're not big on meeting you at nine o'clock or ten thirty or whatever it might be. They're just pretty basic mostly, and the average safe of a crook in those times would be to get up late and scratch their belly or whichever bits of them they want to scratch, and lays around the place, go down, probably to an inner suburban pub, where they'd meet other blugs of the ilk and they would chat among themselves planning this or planning that, or they would bet crooks, gamblers by nature, by inclination, by habit, and by nature, because how can you be a crook if you're not a gambler, Because you're gambling your freedom or your life, really, and so the gamble would be big for them. The drink was big for most of them, and those few who didn't drink tended to survive, same with the police. Police and crooks who didn't drink tended to live longer and get along better than those who did. And the other thing, of course, is they were They were mostly males, these fellows, these arm robbers, and they would run around with naughty girls, bad girls, and girls other than their ever loving wives, because that's the sort of people they were. And now and again they'd plan a job and pull it off. So they'd have to perps get up early or stay up late to go and look at a place and do surveillance, case the joint, as they say, and they might put on slightly different clothes or wherever it might be, and wander around looking to case the place. The really good crooks like Russell Cox and these guys would wear something like a gray dust coat and maybe a pair of hornering glasses, maybe a hat or a cap or something, and carry a clipboard something like that, so they'd pass themselves off as somebody they weren't, so they didn't look like an arm robber merching around. They of smart guys would dress like that, and they'd walk into a place as if they owned it, as if they were supposed to be there, and they would observe things and jot it down on their clipboard, and they would act as if they were there from the electricity company or Talycom or whatever it might be. And actually they were taking notes ready to pull a big armed robbery. These were the very good arm robbers. They weren't all like that.
Speaker 2: A question now from Luke about the police Paddocks, which I think we've also done an episode on, other than the nineteen eighty three cold case of the murder of Rodney Mitchell, which was sold through the conviction of James Dobby. Are you aware of any other mysterious crimes that linger around Roville or haunt the police Paddocks.
Speaker 1: I am not aware of any from around there, but that doesn't mean they didn't happen, and I'm guessing that if you've got a big open area like the police paddocks were in those days, it's close to suburbia, and yet it's relatively big and sheltered that there would always be a lover's lane element to it. There'd always be someone parking there with their girlfriend or whatever it might be, and there would probably be other nefarious things, like people with stolen cars going there to burn the car or to strip it or whatever. Ye'd be people kids with maybe twenty two rifles and air rifles going there to play around, shooting at things, all that sort of activity, and I'd be very surprised if there weren't other crimes, not as serious as Rodney Mitchell's murder, of course, but I think where you get lover's lanes in the past particularly, you often got perverts who would go along and look into cars. And I did know of one group of strappers from Corfield Racecourse in the bad old days who would go to lover's lanes and they would open up a car and they would belt the male of a pair of lovers and flog him and then they would assault the female. And this was very ugly stuff. And I know that when Rodney Mitchell was murdered and the police were concentrating on how to work out who did it. A relative of mine who worked in racing stables in Corfield, advanced that theory, and I told the police and said, you should be looking at the low life strappers at Corfield because among them are people who are willing to assault and rape people in lovers lanes. As it turned out it wasn't them, but you never know.
Speaker 2: Strappers seemed to be thing in a lot of crime stories.
Speaker 1: Strappers were some of them were pretty low life in the old days. When I worked at Jeff Murphy's very briefly at Corefield, I noted that many of them had not long been out of jail. It was one of the jobs I could pick up easily, was to go along and work at the stables because it was rough, tough work. You didn't get paid much, but you could sleep there. You'd get a big breakfast thrown in and there was always a chance of backing a winner using inside information next Saturday. And so it did attract in those days. A rag Tag and Bobdale collection of No Goods.
Speaker 2: Now a question from Tony and Tony shows his bona farides. You sent also an image of many books with your byline Andrew.
Speaker 1: Oh Tony, I'm so grateful, and.
Speaker 2: He says he really enjoys the podcast and wondering if you think, given the number of appeals in play, due to the tainted evidence provided by the Lawyer X investigations and subsequent legal actions, that there may be a raft of convictions overturned and if there is a chance of charges being laid against to any police who rolled the dice by using Lawyer X as an informant.
Speaker 1: It's a good question, but a hard run to answer. There's no doubt that some convictions might be able to turn, but not as many as has been mooted because, as has been pointed out by others, some of those big convictions against big names I Tony Mockbell were made for very good reasons that had nothing to do with Lawyer X. You know, there was red hot evidence against Tony Mockbell, notably and others with Mockbell. The fact is that a man that is known as the musician, who is a protective witness for life, was able to put a USB into a laptop computer and draw out all the material in it, which gave the police a massive amount of information about money transfers from Australia to Greece or wherever, which led the police to Tony mocke Bell. And so that sort of information caught and convicted Tony Mockbell, and it didn't need Lawyer X to put the cherry on top. I'm not suggesting that there aren't other cases where perhaps her interference will not have some effect.
Speaker 2: Thank you, Tony. Now on to Darren, who wants to know what happened to Jean Paul Lascano who was convicted of a triple murder. He murdered Paul Taylor, Kevin Simpkins, and Samantha Taylor at Taylor's Firearms in Springvale, August nineteen ninety three.
Speaker 1: I think, if I'm not mistaken, that's a fellow that walked in and produced a magazine full of ammunition and was able to put it into one of the weapons that they were showing him, or that the proprietor showed him, and having loaded the firearm with a magazine that he had in his pocket, he was able to shoot them. Now, I might be wrong, but I think that is what happened. What happened to that guy I have no idea, but I think a triple shooting, unless he was found to be genuinely insane, he will have served a very long sentence because it was a terrible thing to do. It was really as bad as what Ashley Melville Colston did when he killed the three students in a house in Ashburton. I think it was. It's a similar crime and unless the person was found insane, he would serve a phenomenally long sentence.
Speaker 2: That was around the time when there was port.
Speaker 1: Arthurpe Yeah, poor others ninety six.
Speaker 2: Ye.
Speaker 1: Some of those shootings become very famous, well remembered, and some don't. It's funny how that is.
Speaker 2: I'm not sure why question from James. My question is where did the term colorful racing identity come from? And do you have an all time favorite or favorites that could be described as such.
Speaker 1: Well, it's something that we've all come to use a tongue in cheeks sending it up. But it was coined in Sydney where the social spectrum was infested with colorful racing identities, and it was code back in the day in the media in the eighties, maybe even the seventies, but certainly the eighties for people like George Freeman, who was organized crime, you know, zah it was a big deal. But not only other forms of crime. He was a big race fixer, and of course there'd be those around him who would also be painted with the same brush. But George Freeman was probably the first Australian colorful racing identity so called. He wasn't the first of them, he was the first to get that name, and it was a I think he was dubbed that by the media as a way of relaying what he was without actually defaming him.
Speaker 2: And would he be your favorite, Oh well, colorful racing identities, I suppose there's been, well, to some extent.
Speaker 1: Tony Mockbell was. He was a crook who used his money on the racetrack, mainly was laundering money. But they it's you know, they're laundering it, but it's a job they enjoyed. They love gambling and love the punt, so it was a labor of love for a lot of those guys, a lot of crooks, you know, they would rob a bank and end up dropping a heap of it at the racetrack. It's just a crazy thing. Even somebody liked Billy Longley, the late Billy Longley, who from men who killed a dozen people or something, career criminal. It was a very sort of sensible chap, which is why he ended up dying in his eighties of old age. He wasn't shot dead, but even he told me once that he dropped a massive amount I think ten pounds or something. It was enough to buy you two or three houses, a lot of money. He dropped it at the races and discouraged him from betting on horses for quite a while, he told me.
Speaker 2: Sticking with Sydney, we have a question from Diane nice name. Is the gang problem worse in Sydney or Melbourne.
Speaker 1: Well, we like to think we're better than Sydney, and we like to think our gangsters are better, and traditionally i'd say they were. The late Billy Longley, we've just mentioned him, he always said Sydney for money and Melbourne for blokes. And what he meant was, if you want a tough guy to shoot somebody, he had to hire a Melbourne fella. He'd do the job and he wouldn't give you up. But Sydney was the place to earn the money. They would pay you to drive to Sydney and do something, which often happened with Billy. He would drive up there and do a job and then drive back again. But these days I'm thinking that Sydney because of the big bikey and Middle Eastern crime scene up there where they're all shooting each other as it's in the middle of a wave, which is very similar to the wave we had in Melbourne in the early two thousands. And it will pass eventually because I'll shoot each other until the police get on top of it and it'll ease up. But the current Middle Eastern and or bikey crime wave in Sydney is easily as big as Melbourne's underbelly underworld gangland War of twenty years ago, if not bigger now.
Speaker 2: A question from Dale moving back to home, back to Melbourne. Dale has always been fascinated by the Mister Cruel Case, really enjoyed the episode with normal Lee as a prime suspect in that series of crimes. Dal asks, is there any more news on this or any chance that normal Lee might be officially named for this crime?
Speaker 1: That Normally Lee story was interesting and I did it because it was interesting, and I did it because Ron Ddles, who we've mentioned told me that this old robber, Alfie Gay, had asked him to come and see, which he did because Elfie Gay was dying of cancer. And he chose to tell Ron Eddles, rightly or wrongly, that his former robbery colleague, you know, associate Normal Lee, had a kink about young girls, teenage girls, and that he alleged that Normally had kept a skill uniform of some sort of a girl's skill uniform. And he also told Ron that normal Lee had a house up near Eltham somewhere, and that he knew that because he'd been up there at Normally's invitation to meet him at a supermarket car park to discuss some robbery they were doing. And so this seemed to me a good enough reason that, you know, a detective like Eatles had talked to a dying robber who, although he was a criminal, wasn't known for being a fantasist, who chose to tell him that particular story. I thought, well, even if it's wrong, it's very interesting that this man would tell this story, and so I researched it and told the story the way that Dale has recounted. And it was interesting because it turns out that you know aeroplanes. The big clue in the Mister Cruel case was that one of the abducted girls, very alert, very intelligent girl, she realized that aeroplanes were turning in the sky above the suburb where she was being held. And although she was blindfolded, she could hear everything, and she could tell the planes were coming from one direction, turning above the house and heading in another direction. And that is a particular turning point thing that only happens at particular spots around Melbourne a certain distance from the airport. And it turns out that Eltham was one such place back in the past. There is a marker there that was set up for the pilots to use, and they still continued to use it even after some other people didn't use it. Depending on the weather, that people coming down the coast from Sydney or Brisbane or somewhere would tend to turn at Elthham rather than coming over Sumbury or whatever the other alternative rute is. And this information meant that the police's concentration on flight paths close to Tullamarine Airport, around Thomastown and those places it was right for them to look at Thomastown and all those suburbs Pascoe Vale, etc. But alpham and surrounding postcodes also qualified, and that made it interesting. What it doesn't mean is that normally did it. It just made it a fascinating possibility that had not struck anyone else. I really am agnostic about it. I wouldn't like to bet my house one way or the other. But as recently as this week, I have spent hours talking in this case to a person, a highly intelligent person, a scientist, this person who is convinced that he or she has the answer to the mister Cruel conundrum because of X, Y and Z. I only tell that story not because I think that person is right necessarily, but because it shows the massive interest in mister krule that you Dale are one of thousands of people who are riveted by it. And in fact, I've even had people from overseas, from America contact me with very complex, detailed theories about who've done it. And one of those theories, which was very elaborated, it took somebody hundreds or thousands of ours of deep research online. This is a guy in America, would you believe, And he came up with the conclusion that mister Krule was a senior journalist formerly at the Age newspaper, someone I know well. I know him well, and I know his wife well. I used to sit next to his wife at the Age, and this armchair sleuth in America at the end of all these thousands of ours deduced that mister Krule was this senior Melbourne journalist. I have to say it was a highly circumstantial case and I don't believe it.
Speaker 2: It's funny, Andrew. I was reading Reddit, to the online forum and on the top of my food appeared mister Krawl as a subject, and there was thousands of people, as you say, weighing in on who they thought done it. In fact, using the episode of Life and Crimes, the mister Krul triangle. I think we called it, yeah, as part of their research.
Speaker 1: Yes, it's funny how you know it becomes part of research. But the fact that we did it doesn't mean it's right or it's wrong. We just did a story because it cropped up. There are other versions, other histories, other theories that have been canvassed, and in the future will be canvassed again. If somebody comes forward and says I think it was Uncle Joe for those reasons, and it's a compelling enough story we will run that story too.
Speaker 2: And second lastly, for this crop of questions, we're back with Jay, who had a question in the previous Q and A episode. This is Ray Denning was the poster boy of the prison reform movement in the nineteen seventies and eighties. Do you believe that the university groups advocating for prison reform and these times were largely naive to the reality of the crimes committed by these crooks? Or do you believe that they understood the reality but held a belief that the prison conditions were still too brutal in the seventies and eighties.
Speaker 1: I think both answers are probably right that some people were hugely naive and believe that prisoners are sort of like dogs locked up at the Lost Dogs Home. They deserve a love and attention and a tickle behind the ear. I think a lot of people love the idea of having a tame prisoner. They're fascinated by prisoners, and often that is females out in the world who are bored with their lives, who find the idea of being in touch with a prisoner that gives them thrill basically, which is why prison waiting rooms and we've said this often, John, Prison waiting rooms, as I've noticed over the years, are full of women there to visit blokes who by and large don't deserve to be visited. And not always, but quite often, there are women in there with kids and someone who are very devoted and very kindly and very well meaning, and they're there to support and comfort someone who when that person gets out, doesn't treat them very well at all. So a mixture of motives with those things. Those people that help Denning with safe houses and so on, I think they got a sort of a vicarious thrilled dealing with dangerous guys. I've got a safe house, and you know, this man on the run has come to stay at my safe house, and no one else knows. It's a big secret between me and you know, mister X and mister Y, and we're the only ones who know where he is. And it gives them sort of spy versus spy thrill. And I'm not sure that that was a good enough reason to do it. Also, prison conditions were pretty bad, and back in those days, a lot of crooks did get very woefully beaten up by police and things like that, and by prison officers. So you know, some prisoners had some pretty legitimate beefs, but also they were pretty legitimate crooks.
Speaker 2: Now I'm going to ascribe this to helping our listeners and not the fact that I can't remember if we've done a show on this before. But Denning, what was his deal?
Speaker 1: Raymond Charles Denning, serial robber, filing, intelligent bloke, came out of New South Wales. There is a very fine book written by Mark Dappan, and it's about not just Denning, but about the great robber in Australia and the great escaper esk in Australia, Russell Cox dubbed mad Dog Cox by someone who shall remain nameless but looks a bit like Sly and whose real name, of course was not Cox, it was Schnitzeling. That book by Mark Dappan dapi N is a very interesting insight into Denning's life and crimes and also Coxes.
Speaker 2: And I think we've had Dappan on the show at some stage to talk about said book.
Speaker 1: Oh hope, we good of years ago.
Speaker 2: Mark DApp Yes, I can't remember the name of that episode everyone listening, but it will be in your feed if you choose to look it up.
Speaker 1: I think the book is called something something the Golden Age of arm Robbers. That's the subtitle. It's it's very readable.
Speaker 2: So the book and a couple of our shows talking about the Golden Age of arm robbery. One last question, which isn't a question, it's just a device by which we can give you some information, and that is if you are interested in asking a question of Andrew, please email us at lifeAnd Crimes at news dot com dot au Life and Crimes one word at news dot com dot a you, and we will endeavor to answer it on a future show. Thank you to those of you who have asked a question, and if you're at all interested, Life and Crimes is on Crimexplus, which is our premium service through Apple Podcasts. There's information on how to access that in the description. And if you are keen on Andrew's work or any of the other work of our fine journalists in The Herald Sun, you can go to Haroldsun dot com dot you and find out how you can read more of it by taking out a subscription there.
Speaker 1: Thank you Andrew, Thank you John, Thanks for listening. Life and Crimes is a Sunday Herald Sun production for true crime Australia. Our producer is Johnty Burton. For my columns, features and more, go to Heroldsun dot com dot au, forward slash Andrew rule one word. For advertising inquiries, go to news Podcasts sold at news dot com dot au. That is all one word news podcasts sold And if you want further information about this episode, links are in the description.