Speaker 1: The public has had a long held fascination with detectives. Detective see aside of life the average person is never exposed to. I spent thirty four years as a cop. For twenty five of those years I was catching killers. That's what I did for a living. I was a homicide detective. I'm no longer just interviewing bad guys. Instead, I'm taking the public into the world in which I operated. The guests I talk to each week have amazing stories from all sides of the law. The interviews are raw and honest, just like the people I talk to. Some of the content and language might be confronting. That's because no one who comes into contact with crime is left unchanged. Join me now as I take you into this world. Welcome to another episode of I Catch Killers. This episode was recorded live at the twenty twenty five South By Southwest Conference at the Sydney International Convention Center. I was on a panel with Kayla Jade, who's one of Australia's most well known sex workers. The session was hosted by journalists Claire Stevens. Now, you might wonder what we had to talk about a sex worker and a former cop. Well, it was a lot of fun because besides being a sex worker, Kayla also hosts podcasts, and that's what we talked about. We discussed changing face of media and the role that podcast is playing keeping people informed. I really enjoyed the chat and I think you will too.
Speaker 2: Hi, I'm Claire Stephens. Thank you for joining us at show Notes for our session flip the script how podcasts can reshape the narrative. Before we begin, I want to acknowledge the Gadigal people of the or Nation whose land we are gathering on today. Spoken word and storytelling is such a valuable part of First Nations culture and I feel very privileged to be able to embrace these practices through storytelling and podcasts. Today I am joined by two very different people who have you podcasting to reshape two very different kinds of narratives. You might be wondering what Australia's most famous homicide detective and Australia's most famous sex worker have in common, but there is a surprising amount of common ground here. I want to start by introducing Gary Jublin, the host of one of the most listened to podcasts in the country, I Catch Killers. Jubilin sits across from cops, criminals, addicts, victims, lawyers and more to hear their stories, and he explores the ideas of good and evil, redemption, suffering, joy and tragedy. He is particularly qualified to do this after a thirty four year policing career where he led investigations into the disappearance of William Tyrrel as well as the serial killing of three Indigenous children in Bauerville. He also run the crime scene following the Link Cafe siege. Then it's my pleasure to introduce Kayla Jaide, the host of story Time by Kayla Jade, which hit one millions streams in its first month. Anyone who has ever had anything to do with podcasting knows how absurdly impressive that is. She is a sex worker, a storyteller, and a viral creator with two point three million followers on TikTok and on Storytime, Kayla char's uncensored stories, vulnerable chats, celebrity interviews, and a chance to ask her anything. Nothing is off limits as she records from home and talks about everything from money to mental health, to body image and beauty standards. Very briefly, I'm Clare Stevens I'm the host of The Pylon, a podcast that interviews people who have been at the center of online outrage, and that is actually where I want to start. Gary, you left the police force in twenty nineteen after being accused of a legally recording a suspect in the William Tyrell investigation. I can imagine that was a really tumultuous time personally and professionally. Yet you turn into podcasting not too long afterwards. Why was it podcasting you turned to out of every possible career that you could have gone to.
Speaker 1: Well with my criminal conviction, I couldn't be a private investigator. But anyway, that's a separate story, and I still deny the allegation. A lot of people reached out to me I had I was fortunate or unfortunate, however you look at it. In the police, I worked a lot of high profile jobs. So when people found out that I was leaving the police, or even before I left the police, people in the media were reaching out out to me a variety of offers and shows and different things. And then with news Corp. Part of it was to write write articles for the papers, but the other thing was to do a podcast, and I liked the podcast because I had a lot of work with TV shows like four Corners, sixty Minutes, that type of thing, and I'm very mindful that when you're being quoted in the media, when you've got a camera on you for eight hours and then they're only looking for a minute here or a minute there, how it can be confusing. Podcasting I had a slight idea.
Speaker 3: What it was.
Speaker 1: I'd listened to podcasts and that, but it just felt like an area that I could work in that I had some degree of control. Because when your a cop as long as I was, and then you're charged and you're on the front page of the paper, your integrity is important. And I thought I could still maintain my integrity if I had control. And I felt that in the podcast world, I had that little bit of control.
Speaker 2: And Kayla, you also were in a bit of a tumultuous time in that there was all this stuff going on online about your personal life and your family, and you could have responded on TikTok, you could have responded in many different forums, and yet you responded with podcasting. Why was that?
Speaker 4: I mean, it just made sense because you know, everything came out all at once and I was launching this podcast, and I was like, how can I not talk about this?
Speaker 5: You know, it's such a big thing. But that's just the way of the internet. You know.
Speaker 4: It's like, when you're putting yourself out there online, you're going to expect some sort of like backlash from people or people trying.
Speaker 5: To take things too far.
Speaker 4: So yeah, I just wanted to share my side of the story, like in an depth way. Obviously, going on podcasts, it's much longer form content, so it's certainly so much you can share on TikTok, So yeah, it was made sense to do it that way.
Speaker 2: Do you think there is the opportunity because you were talking about something so sensitive, which was your kids, and people had been going through and trying to unearth details which must have been really scary, And the fact that you did it via podcasting, do you think there was more of an intimacy with the listener where you like you knew that it was being listened to in good faith.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think so I just put all my all out there, you know, there any edits or anything. I just wanted to tell my side of the story. So yeah, it made sense doing it.
Speaker 2: That way, and clearly people really really wanted to know and wanted to know in that long form format. I think a lot of people think that they can just pick up a microphone and have a successful podcast.
Speaker 5: I want to know what it.
Speaker 2: Took to become successful and good at this. So Gary, when you first started, did you have media training? Like? How did you how did you go from a make such a radical career jump.
Speaker 1: I didn't have any media training, but I was comfortable speaking to the media with the high profile jobs I had, so I had an understanding of media as such. But in terms of training, what was suggested for my first episode of the podcast, episode one of my catch Killers was how about you get your old workmate Jason Eavers, who I worked in homicide with for ten years, and we'll put you in a pub and we'll fly him down to Sydney and we'll give you some drinks and we're going to.
Speaker 3: Record that conversation. Let's see how it goes.
Speaker 1: And literally that was the first episode of eye catch Killers. Interesting in the topic that we're talking about today too, Like when I provided that unedited version that went for about two and a half hours, the suggestion was from the media, the more traditional thinking media let's cut it down. Let's talk about when you guys were running that case or when you turned up at that crime scene.
Speaker 3: And I was fortunate that it was clear. Harvey.
Speaker 1: I think that got a good reputation in the media world. She pushed back on it and said, no, let's run it. This is what long form conversation is about. We laughed, we turned on each other, we joked about things, but you've got a sense, and it created an environment like it was a fly on the wall, so people listening to it could understand who Jason than I were and what our backstory was in that long form conversation. So no training, I prepare for an interview like I prepare for an interview if I'm interviewing a bad guy. And that was what I was paid to do to get people to confess to crimes. So I don't want to I don't ever have a guess on the podcast unless I declare this is what I'm going to do. I always want to protect the guests because they're vulnerable. We're talking about very emotional, deep issues and personal details. So I always say I will protect you. And like sometimes I've got bikes on and they're saying bad things about another rival biking gang, and mate, we've got to wind that in a little bit because otherwise we might start a biking walk. Yeah, I'm not joking. I've had many a heated discussion late at night going okay, we'll do this, do that. But they're the things that you've got to try and try and protect your guests. So it's not about that gotcha moment. It's more about letting the listener form their own views about the person you're speaking to.
Speaker 2: I think, yeah, leaving it unedited or obviously maybe cutting the biker gangs, but leaving a lot of it in. It is so important for the listener to have all the context of your dynamic with somebody and of the tone of it that you don't get a tone when you read something that's just written, and even on a platform like TikTok, when things can be you know, stitched, or people can take a tiny bit of what you've said and ignore the context that might actually change the narrative. Kaylor, what did it actually take behind the scenes to make your podcast? Because what was kind of what did you have to stretch in terms of skills, what did you have to learn? What would people not know about what it actually took.
Speaker 4: Yeah, it was like learning a new language in a way, because you know, I was so used to short form content and then going to long form it was like a whole different thing. Like I had just learned to stop butting in in front of people and like you know, so, yeah, it's definitely a skill in itself, and there's been a lot of learning curves.
Speaker 5: But I'm loving the process, you know, I'm enjoying it.
Speaker 3: And do you.
Speaker 2: Use what goes off on TikTok to inform the decisions you make for the podcast?
Speaker 4: Not necessarily like in sometimes sometimes I'll just, like, you know, elaborate more on a story, like say if because you know on TikTok you probably want like a couple.
Speaker 5: Of minutes max.
Speaker 4: But in the longer form content I could just elaborate more and go into detail.
Speaker 2: I speaking of detail, I needed to touch on Peggy Sue. So there may be people I don't know, maybe Gary, who doesn't know the Peggy Sue story. Kayla, could you for anyone who doesn't know, could you just give a little bit of a summary of the Peggy su dominum.
Speaker 4: Yes, yes, so he's an old client of mine who I don't know how we can get on him. So obviously I see clients for work, and he was one of my clients that likes to do little things in the behind region. And yeah, obviously you know taken some decent sized members up there, and yeah, we're just chat about it on my TikTok and apparently people they listening to it.
Speaker 2: So and there are a lot of theories about who Peggy su is, and one in particular that I won't say because I don't know if I can say it legally in this room.
Speaker 5: I don't know if I can.
Speaker 2: Who knows what we can Actually Gary probably knows what we can say legally. He'll arrest us.
Speaker 3: I'm not going to say. I think I don't want to get the call the guest.
Speaker 2: But you did an episode about Peggy Su on the podcast. What could you say in that format that was different to TikTok And why do you think people were going there as opposed to the shorter kind of narrative that was happening elsewhere.
Speaker 4: Yeah, well, I guess he was on the TikTok, Like we didn't specifically see him, but he was there answering questions. I did like a Q and A on my Instagram, like, what do you want to talk to Peggy Sew about? And then I just asked him a bunch of questions and yeah, it's just there's been a lot of speculation on who it is, but I can either confirm or deny.
Speaker 2: I love it if you if you want to know what that speculation is, go on TikTok. It's so fun. Both of you have really stood out in a crowded podcast landscape, and my theory is that it's because both of you bring lived experience and a certain depth to this space that other creators might not so Gary. For example, there are a lot of there are a lot of true crime podcasts an insane amount, and there are journalists interviewing, there are amateurs, there are there are comedians doing true crime podcasts. But there's something very, very different about a crime podcast that is led by a former detective. What do you think it is that you're able to offer that other people can't.
Speaker 1: Well, I suppose I'd be a slave learner if I spent twenty years investigating homicide and not sort of picking up on things. I can speak the language, I can speak the language of the detectives. If I've got police officers, I understand the world. They understand the culture. I also with the bad guys, I can speak their language. That was half the time was spent with cops, half the time spent with bad guys.
Speaker 3: They're the people that you chase.
Speaker 1: They understood where I was coming from, and I understood where they were coming from. And then with the victims, I don't think unless you see the pain that's associated with the people dealing with murder. And quite often I'd meet these people by knocking on the door and informing them that their loved one has been killed, and it sticks with you that emotion. So when I'm speaking two victims of crime, which we have a lot on, they understand that.
Speaker 3: Yeah, I get it, and I look after them.
Speaker 1: And in terms of where we take the podcast, and I think it's just that's the layer that I give with the experience to a true crime podcast, I do understand the world. And I was a little bit reluctant at the start with true crime podcasts because I didn't want to glorify crime. And I made a real strong point of saying I want to show crime three sixty like three sixty it's not all black and white. There's good guys, bad guys, and there's all combinations, and there's a lot of pain associated with crime. And I don't take it flippantly when I'm talking to victims. But having said that, and we're all sitting here tense, you do have permission to laugh. I've had people on the podcasts that have had their family murdered, and we can sit there and we can laugh, and people might be looking from the outside, going, what the hell's going on?
Speaker 2: Is?
Speaker 1: How insensitive is this talking to this family and making a joke. But you've got to see some light in the darkness, and that's again a skill I suppose you pick up working in that area for as long as long as I did.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think the reason people lean in so hard to your podcast is because it's almost behind the scenes, Like everyone wants to know what it's like when police interview, when they speak to victims, how they deliver information to victims when they speak to criminals. What kind of techniques from interviewing as in your time in the police do you bring to the podcast that you think journalists, for example, wouldn't necessarily have.
Speaker 1: You can't underestimate the pregnant pause. You ask someone the question and just sit there and stare at them, and I feel like you'd be there, sooner or later they're going to talk. So that's part of it. When you're sitting down with someone, knowledge is power, and like if you've done your research before you're sitting down with the guests, that helps. And you might read a whole book and that you might be referring to anything in the book other than that's right. When you were seven you fell off the bike and you can see the guests all of a sudden go, You've spent the time to prepare for this, You've shown me respect, and then invariably they'll provide more information. And also you've got to laugh at yourself. You've got to reveal a little bit about yourself. So if you're asking an embarrassing question of them, sometimes to make them feel comfortable in exchange of stupid stories, oh yeah, I've done this and done that. So that makes it feel equal and they feel comfortable and you keep that conversation going.
Speaker 2: I think that's something in media that's really coming out in podcasting that mainstream media is, you know, and obviously NewsCorp has been a huge supporter of your work. But podcasting allows for these diverse voices and different types of people with different types of backgrounds to tell stories. And Kayla, you are able to embrace storytelling in a way that really really resonates with women in particular. And I would say, is it overwhelmingly women who are the audience for your show?
Speaker 6: Yeah?
Speaker 5: Yeah, about ninety percent? Yeah yeah.
Speaker 2: And why do you think women are so fascinated by you, not even just at a surface level, but will lean in harder and harder and harder the more you have to share.
Speaker 4: I guess it's because, like I've just I mean since I started this TikTok, I've always just tried to be myself as much as possible and just you know, share what's going on with my day, like how I'm feeling, you know, the downsides and the good sides like and I think just sharing that realness like resonated with a lot of women.
Speaker 2: So yeah, do you think that having the background that you do, is there any like are there transferable skills like things from having worked in sex work? And I imagine you become tough and resilient and you are fiercely independent and you know what your boundaries are. Do you think that has helped in podcasting?
Speaker 4: I think so, Like I talk a lot about like my boundaries and even like you know, female hygiene and everything that a lot of sex workers know a lot about, so I think they come to me for information and stuff as well.
Speaker 2: Is there anything because I think the other thing people lean into is how open and you don't seem self conscious or shy about talking about these things that so many people could never talk about. Has there ever been anything that you have not wanted to talk about in the realm of sex work or the realm of your experiences there?
Speaker 4: I think I talk about pretty much everything that's like in TikTok guidelines as much as I can share. I mean, I could talk about a whole lot more, but I'd probably get canceled off YouTube or whatever. So yeah, there's nothing that I hold back from other than I guess private family life. That would probably be the only thing.
Speaker 2: With podcasting do you have to be careful what you talk about for sponsorships?
Speaker 4: For brandomly, it's been a learning curve because I thought I was like, oh, a podcast would be great for like, you know, I can be more uncensored and talk more like, you know, without making up words like you know, Shlondon for condom or whatever. So I was like, oh, yeah, I can do that, but then as soon as you put on YouTube, it's like, no, you can't say this, you can't say that. So yeah, learning all those curves.
Speaker 2: But know, and what kind of things do clients flag that they don't want you to go near?
Speaker 5: Is it surprising?
Speaker 7: Ah?
Speaker 4: Just anything like I always stay clear of anything personal. You know, I wouldn't say anything about their personal life or where they work or you know, describe them too much or anything.
Speaker 5: I'm always very careful with that.
Speaker 2: And yeah, because I am like, your podcast has got such a huge audience, and one thing that is a challenge for podcasting generally is kind of getting advertisers on board to see to lean into the audience rather than the content, Like they don't need to they don't need to be pro anal in order to be pro Kayla Jad's audience. Yes, and so when you've had conversations like have you had big advertisers.
Speaker 5: Yes, yes we have.
Speaker 4: But obviously there's still a lot of stigma behind sex works. So we're slowly breaking that now narrative, like people speaking out and talking about it more.
Speaker 6: So.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I've had a few advertisers that I've been like, oh my gosh, like this is so exciting.
Speaker 5: So yeah, it's a fun journey.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I think for both of you, like also being doing content that's around crime, advertisers can get really really scared of it. And it's really interesting because it's where the audiences are, Like, it's where it's you know, You've got a million streams in a month and most most podcasters couldn't even imagine that. And I think it's sort of a journey that audiences are making the journey and a lot of advertisers are sort of just behind. You both have a wealth of experience in your respective field, and I do. I sort of touched on this with you, Kayla. But Gary, have there been any other apart from those interview skills, any other transferable skills from police work into podcastingh a thick skin.
Speaker 1: I suppose it was when I got in the podcasting I didn't really like when I was in the police. I had a profile when I was in the police, so I was used to being.
Speaker 3: In the media.
Speaker 1: But if people didn't like me that was okay because I was a cop and yeah, I'm just doing my job. And then when I told my kids, I said, I'm doing a podcast, and they probably had more of a sense of what podcasting was than I did, and they're going, oh, if you go bad, you're going to get smashed on social media. I've gone social media. What social media? Then, I don't think I would have had the courage to do a podcast if I realized how vulnerable you are in the media that you put yourself out there and the criticism. As I said in the Cops, fine, I'm not being paid to be liked or listened to. Then in the media, and you could get a hundred great comments and you get one negative comment, you go, oh shit, some of them the negative comments are right, I've got to admit, which is quite but you the I've become accustomed to it now, like if I polarize people, someone's always got an opinion. But that's what I do really like about the podcast world. There's so many people. And it leads me back to when I left the Cops. There was headlines of corrupt cop and all sorts of things, and it was hard to take. But now I've got something. It's not only the audience deciding what they think of the guests. The audience can form their own view about me, So you know that's something. And I look at Dylan over there in the corner and from made in Katana, and Dylan was actually at the pub for the first session, and I think the first next couple of sessions, And I'm glad I gave up drinking during the during the podcast because we started at eight o'clock in the morning. Let's have one or two schooners with the ex cop this is season one, who I hadn't seen for five or six years.
Speaker 3: Let's have another one.
Speaker 1: And I think Dylan board in the rule no more than three because we got bit sloppy then. And then after we've finished the podcast at about twelve o'clock, it looks like it's lunch time. Who wants a drink? I couldn't have kept it up. I only did eight episodes of season one.
Speaker 3: I would have been a.
Speaker 1: Dead set alcoholic. I was lasted by two o'clock in the afternoon, so that had a short shelf life. So I'm glad we stop that.
Speaker 2: I think more podcasts with alcohol would be It would be my vibe, Kayla, What skills from because you've kind of got these dual career paths where there's I guess the more private part of being a sex worker, but what you've done on social media is a career in itself. Building that level of an online profile is a full time job. What kind of skills from that have transferred into creating your own podcast?
Speaker 4: I guess just being myself online, you know, sharing my story has always been easy for me.
Speaker 2: Yeah, how does it work working with a producer?
Speaker 4: It's different, Like it's I've kind of come into the podcast world doing something a little bit different, Like I always wanted it to sort of be just at home, like in my comfy outfits, like just chilling, like a good vibe, rather than being like in studio, you know, producers and cameramen. So yeah, it's kind of always been a chill vibe, which is good.
Speaker 2: Because I was going to say that you a lot of your videos for the pod will be you in say, pajamas, no makeup on and talking. Yeah, and that is very very different to I feel like podcasts have gone quite heavy in terms of video production, and people are in fancy studios and the lighting's great.
Speaker 5: And I tried that and I couldn't do it.
Speaker 2: Really.
Speaker 5: Yeah, I tried it for a couple I was like, this is not me. How come?
Speaker 4: I just want to be at home comfy, you know, and I'm doing I do a lot of it solo, so it just made sense for me to just be at home chilling.
Speaker 2: I think it also adds to the intimacy though, as a listener and for socials, it stands out like there are a lot of very very polished podcasts and that kind of adds to what people lean into. And Gary, as you said, like the fact that you're releasing an unedited conversation where you might be a little bit sloppy by the end, that's novel for people for people to hear. Gary, do you think podcasting has a unique power when it comes to rewriting the narrative? Because, as you said, you were at this kind of critical time in going from policing to more of a media career. Do you think podcasting was really important to lean into because of what it offered you.
Speaker 3: Yeah, it sort of evolved.
Speaker 1: I didn't realize what it presented when I first started. But what I'm really proud of eye catch killers because when I was in the cops.
Speaker 3: Like you get a.
Speaker 1: Case, you did work the case, hopefully catch the offender, and then move on to the next one. So you didn't really have time to think about what causes crime. Some of the things I'm most proud about because I still had a passion for fighting crime like I did in the cops. We've a gun and handcuffs, but after leaving, where do I put this passion. Now we've fallen into a space where we're working with corrective services. We've done a series when I went into prison, restorative justice with young offenders, indigenous issues. We've had it to the point where politicians are asking to come on the podcast, and if the cops haven't done the investigation.
Speaker 3: Right, we go. We criticize the cops, and you know, it's not just an attack.
Speaker 1: I love policing. But the thing that I'm probably most proud of is I've had some notorious criminals on the podcast. You know, the gangs, pipes, the real heavy dudes and murderers, escapes, that type of thing. When you hear their story where they came from, it really it's changed my perspective on what crime is all about. And I look at them upbringing, some of the upbringings that these people have had. Who am I to judge what they've done with their life? And I love the story of redemption. So when those guys turn their life around, guys and girls we've had quite a few from all sorts of crime, it makes me feel good that we're doing some good and it's putting out a strong message that no matter how low your life is, you can actually turn it around. So platforms like that really surprise me. But I think you can do that in a podcast narrative as distinct from the media, because I also work in all aspects of the media with television shows, print media, that type of thing, and there's a limited space to how you can get that message across. But in the podcast world, if we want to record for four hours, we'll just sit there and record for four hours. If the conversation's flowing, it doesn't matter.
Speaker 2: And I think that's something people really find fascinating about. I catch killers that you find yourself having empathy for people you didn't expect to have empathy for. Has that been a journey coming out of policing. When you're speaking to somebody who's done a very bad thing, and you no longer are responsible for you know, you're not trying to get them to confess things you're not. The power dynamic has shifted a little bit. Has your empathy changed for them?
Speaker 1: I'd like to think that I had empathy when I was in the cops, and that was I think I carried it through. But the empathy spread for the victims, the people that've been impacted by the crime, not so much of the crooks because the level that I was working at, you move on from one job to a next and you don't give it much thought. I developed relationships with criminal informants and I got to understand a little bit more about the criminal world. But with the people I have on the podcast, and some of them have got no regrets. I asked you, you must feel bad about the people you stabbed, and one particular guest said, no, I don't. I'm just not going to stab anyone again because I don't want to.
Speaker 3: Go back to jail. But there's lots of people I want to stab.
Speaker 1: Okay, well, that wasn't a type of messaging I was looking for, but we'll run with it. But in the same regards, people got to hear what that was about I'm not there to control the narrative. I want people to talk about the real world. That's the real world, and I like to create it. When I'm speaking to the cops, the victims, or the gangsters and the bad guys and women, this is the real world. This is what this world is about. So there's no filtering and we talk like that and it creates for quite an interesting discussion. But I think with both podcasts and you talk about the life experience and that there's an honesty and authenticity. And when you mentioned like advertising, I think they miss the point. Like advertisers go, oh, well, it's a true crime podcast. You glorifying crime. We are so far from glorifying crime. It's not funny. What we're doing is explaining what crime is about, trying to reduce crime and all sorts of things, and there's an authenticity of the guests that come on, and I think advertisers miss that and that rawness and honesty. We all want to look into a world that most of us don't get to see exactly.
Speaker 2: Yeah, people are really connecting with that. When there's a lot that's very very surface level and there's so much content out there, it's that authenticity that is standing out, and that's something with your career and your experiences that has always stood out that you're saying, this is what I do this like I did this yesterday. This is an experience I just had. How do your clients feel about the public facing side of what you do?
Speaker 4: It's like, I've definitely lost a few clients because of it, because obviously I'm so open and honest, but as well, there's a few clients that definitely enjoy me talking about them online. You know, they get a little bit of a kick out of it. So yeah, it's kind of opposite spectrums. Either they are like not for it, they leave me, or they want to come back.
Speaker 5: Yeah, need to start charging for talking about people.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I know it's clearly like it like a little too much. Yeah, has it been good? Because I like, sometimes I watch your content and I think, oh my god, this is so clever because if I was a man who wanted a lady friend, this is great discoverability. Like, have you found that it helps in that Like does being Australia's most famous sex worker help with business? In the sense that it must be weird because you get comments from people being like I love your authenticity, I love your story. Do you then get dms from people being like, what time are you available?
Speaker 4: No, I actually have the opposite. Yeah, I feel like I used to be more busier when I didn't talk about it, which is a little bit of a downside of it, I guess, But I mean it's created more pathways for me, so you know. But yeah, I still get the odds.
Speaker 5: Your client that wants to have fun, yeah, so yeah.
Speaker 2: And wants and is happy to play, and it's.
Speaker 5: Happy to be out there and open about it. Yeah. Yeah.
Speaker 2: I'm interested in this from a personal perspective because on my podcast The Pylon, I speak to people who have had their reputations attacked, sometimes destroyed, who have had to deal with the annihilation of their character online. Both of you have, in different ways experienced attacks on your reputation online. With podcasting, there can be a lot of a lot of feedback that you get. Gary, do you read reviews?
Speaker 1: I used to, and I know the narrative and anyone that's in this area don't worry about the reviews, but I would. I love reading the good ones. Well it's great, then there's one fuck, So yeah, I do. But it's becoming less and less impact. And I don't read them morbile time. And if someone you know the name of the podcast Pylon. If someone makes a negative comment, then ten other people making the comment. And I think, and this was a good lesson for me, my kids and they're not kids now, they're adults. But there was someone that really attacked me. It was just spiteful or whatever. And I go have a look at this, and they did their little research on who this knucklehead is and gone, this is the person you're worried about.
Speaker 3: Gone, you're kidding. Just a drop kick.
Speaker 6: But yeah, but yeah, and you know, we all learn like sometimes the comments are legitimate, and Dylan can attest to this, and Dell, I.
Speaker 1: Tell you a skill in podcasting in the interview room. If I'm speaking to someone, I'm sitting there asking a question, I'm waiting for the response. When they're talking, I'm encouraging him someone that yeah yeah, and then yeah yeah. A couple of I don't want the facts and figures to come out, Dylan, but a couple of the early podcasts before and I didn't even know what the producer was.
Speaker 3: It was just.
Speaker 1: Where we were doing things. I would say, yes, I reckon two hundred thousand times.
Speaker 5: Me would like, like exaggeration.
Speaker 1: So it got to the point where I would draw a big D on my hands. So when idiot was starting to go, yeah, yeah, what's that end doing?
Speaker 3: All right, keep your mouth shut. I've I've got better at it.
Speaker 1: But I find when I'm really comfortable with someone and the barriers are breaking down, you wait to go out next time you're talking to a friend and just be mindful how many times you go yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah.
Speaker 2: And once you notice it.
Speaker 3: You were saying, like time when I watched.
Speaker 4: Myself, like why did I do that?
Speaker 7: Yeah?
Speaker 3: You just cream.
Speaker 4: But it's because you're like it's like you're having a conversation with your friends, so you're just natural and that's how you naturally speak.
Speaker 5: But with podcasting, it's like a whole different language that you have to learn. And your producer will yeah, but that's a good idea.
Speaker 3: I might have to use that for me.
Speaker 2: Oh I'm going to do that hat because yeah, my producer is like, I can't cut it out because it'll be that the other person's talking a little bit while I'm saying it. So she's like, there's no way to edit this. You're just annoying, and I'm like, I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry. It's it is very Yet when you listen back, you're like, oh god, Kayla. Do you read podcast reviews?
Speaker 3: Ah?
Speaker 4: Yeah, sometimes I think it's good to read, like not all the time obviously because you'll get hung up on it, but it's good to read negative comments in a way because it's like, oh, Okay, that's how I learned that I was saying, like too much, you know, like you learn it so you can improve, I guess in a way.
Speaker 2: Ah, there's certain things that you read that podcast reviews or on TikTok that do get to you, because I find there are certain things that I'm like yeah, fair, and other things that I'm like, ooh, if I read that every day, I just go in a hole and quit.
Speaker 4: I think it's when people talk about my kids or like how I am as a mother just because I don't show them online doesn't mean you know, the living in a different home with someone else, like they're very much around, Like I just don't show them online. And I think people take that as like, oh, she must be a bad mother, she must you know, spend no time with her kids and you know, so, yeah, there's little comments like that that I have to really ignore because otherwise I'll get really heated. But yeah, most of the time, I'm like, h it doesn't phaze me because I feel like I've lived a whole life before I started this, So now it's kind of like you can say what you want to me, Like, I don't really care.
Speaker 2: You know, how about the stigma against sex work. Do you feel like you get faced with that.
Speaker 4: I don't think so, Like, it's definitely come a long way, like in the last ten years, like like just talking about sex work has been huge for sex work, So I think of anything like, we're progressing very well.
Speaker 1: So hey, guys, it's Gary Jubilan here. Whant they get more out of Ketch Killers? Then you should head over to our new video feed on Spotify where you can watch every episode of Ketch Killers. Just search for I Catch Killers video in your Spotify app and start watching.
Speaker 3: Today.
Speaker 2: You said something interesting on I think it was on TikTok about how in the early days you used to like when I first started following you, you used to like count your money and that was it was there was something really relaxing about watching.
Speaker 5: You count cash.
Speaker 2: I was like, I don't think cash. Yeah, you just had like all these dollar bills and I was like, oh my god, get it. But you don't do that anymore. No, and you've talked about why why is that?
Speaker 4: I guess for me, like as my platform grew, I had to really like think about, you know, being a role model and what I was putting out there online. So just with you know, young people scrolling through TikTok, they might see my money count videos and be like, oh my gosh, she makes so much money online, but they're not realized like what I actually had to do to get that money.
Speaker 5: So I guess I just wanted to kind of limit, you know what.
Speaker 4: Like I was still putting out the downsides of the industry, but not everyone sits and scrolls through every video.
Speaker 5: So it was just being more.
Speaker 4: Mindful, like as my page grew, like hey, maybe not do that. And also just personal safety and safety of other sex workers. I felt like, you know, probably don't want everyone knowing that we're carrying a bunch of cash around.
Speaker 2: And that's the thing. That's the thing about creating content online, creating podcasts, you are learning in real.
Speaker 4: Yeah, and it's just being a adaptive you know, if something doesn't work or if you get criticism from something like you know, adapting.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you do. You do have to kind of do that in public and that can be It's different to other kinds of work where you get feedback hopefully in a more private environment and you can lick your wounds and move on.
Speaker 5: Yeah.
Speaker 2: How do you I guess when you are doing storytime with Kayla Jaide, how do you kind of navigate what is really for podcasting versus what's for anything else? Like there is there anything when you look at the future of story time, what's the trajectory you see it going in and what's kind of the niche and the like the little space you want to carve out for this particular show.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I guess just you know, destigmatizing sex work in a way, you know, showing people that we are real people and you know, we're not just objects that are for sex. Like, we have a lot to talk about and you know, a lot of information. So just carving out that lane a little bit.
Speaker 2: And Gary for I catch Killers, where do you see it going? Where do you see the future of the show.
Speaker 3: I'd like to like broaden it.
Speaker 1: Like the main theme is crime and will always come come back to crime, but sometimes it gets so heavy, like we've had bad guy victims, this.
Speaker 3: Police talking horrible, horrible crimes.
Speaker 1: Sometimes I say, we just got to have fun and so I get you know, I might get a comedian on. The comedian might be have a drug issue in the past or different things, and just like lightening it up. We've had quite a few sex workers on the show and we sit down and we have a good fun conversation and people enjoy that, and so yeah, we're broadening it out. And anyone with an interesting story, that's what maytivates me in the podcast. If there's someone that's got an interesting story, I love to hear their stories. So we'll still stay true to crime, but we'll branch out a little bit more and explore the world and people who have got interesting stories, because that's sometimes I have guests on that haven't got the profile and I'm thinking, Oh, what's going to happen here, And I'm just blown away by this person's story just the way they deliver their story. And it might be something that we know about, but it's something that's deeply personal. That's unique to them, and I find that fascinating and giving the audience the respect that they can form their own views. I'm not going to judge anyone for what they've done in their life, just like I don't want to be judged for what I've done in my life. And I heard you say that, you know, with the social media and all that, Well, this is who I am, and that's the sort of attitude I've got. If you don't like me, you don't like me. I can't help that. But I know who I am, and I think you probably go through the same thing.
Speaker 2: And I think that's why podcasting is such a special space to be in because people are opting in. It's not it's different to socials in that, you know, Kaylor, you might end up every now and then on the wrong side of TikTok, where you're like, Okay, who are these people? I don't know how I ended up in your fore page? Whereas with podcasting people, I always think no one hate listens to a podcast. If people are listening to Gary Jublin, it's because they bloody love this show and they want to hear what he has to say. If people are listening to Kayla Jake, people just don't have time to like well. But then sometimes you read the reviews and you're like, oh, wow, no they do. But for the most part, and I think that's also why people feel safer like guests, because it's far less likely that there is going to be a snippet of what they say that ends up in the daily mail, because it's bloody hard to sit there and transcribe a whole podcast interview as opposed to, you know, a piece in the paper where there might just be a quote. I want to know, Kayla, what is the biggest lesson you've learnt from podcasting? And it has been a short time for you, but I imagine it's been a very steep learning curve and a quick trajectory because the growth has been so phenomenal. But what's the biggest learning.
Speaker 4: Just always having like a space that's outside of the online life, you know, that you can retreat to if it does get too much. Just having that little, you know, space where it's whether it's a hobby or like family or friends that you can just go to if you need to.
Speaker 2: That's really that's really clever, And it's also kind of future proofing because you know how every now and then there'll be a rumor that they're like they're going to shut down TikTok, and you're like, well, I have a really popular podcast, so it doesn't matter so much. Gary, what have you learned from podcasting?
Speaker 1: I've probably learned the importance of storytelling And that sounds a bit dramatic, but letting people tell their stories. I think the world's an interesting place. And you know, I've had some people that have had Tom Carroll, the two times World surfing champion, on the podcast, I said I had pictures in my bedroom when I was growing up as a teenager, like so many interesting stories, and I just love being able to give people a platform to tell their story and also educate people through that whether they buy into it or not about Okay, let's not judge every person that's in jail as a bad person. Let's look at what got them there and things that happened. And when we talk crime, the politicians might be dramatic about cutting down on crime, going hard on crime, we'll have discussions about is that the right way to do it or is there other alternatives, you know, different forms of imprisonment, that type of thing. So Yeah, storytelling if it all came down to that, Because sometimes I wake up and think, what's the purpose of my day. If I'm preparing for a podcast, I think, well, there's an important story to be told and people might learn from because I don't think there's a guess that I've had on the podcast that I haven't walked away a little bit wiser. Yeah, picked up something or learned something from them. I think that's important.
Speaker 2: Yeah, And I think in both of your cases, there's so much psychological research about how the antidote to stigma, the thing that builds empathy, the thing that builds connection, is just exposure to different kinds of people. Like so much of our prejudice is because we're simply we're simply not hearing or connecting with the kinds of people that might be outside our circle. And both of you offer these behind the scenes windows into that. Like, Kayla, there are probably a lot of people who have never met a sex worker and they get to have this emotional connection with you and they're like, hold on, I really like this person. I respect this person that goes against all my prejudices. And Gary By, you know, all the people you're interviewing as well as being a former copy yourself, and people might have stigma about that. They go, oh, I really like this guy. It seems really nice. He doesn't seem scary. I thought I was meant to be scared of police.
Speaker 3: You are.
Speaker 2: I'd like to be interviewed by Gary. I think I think we'd be friends. I wanted to open up for the last few minutes for any questions that anyone has for these guys, or about podcasting or anything. We've even got a mic.
Speaker 3: Thank you, Hi, thank you so much.
Speaker 1: My question is probably for you Gary, and maybe even for yourself, Claire.
Speaker 8: What do you do to prepare before you interview someone?
Speaker 1: And how long? I without giving the way trade secrets. I read a lot of books, Like if someone's got a book out, I'll read the book and then I really knuckle down closest to the time when I know the podcast, I will script a framework in the way I think the podcast should run. Sometimes the easiest podcast where a put my notes down don't have to refer to the one because it just flows.
Speaker 3: But I have that as a safeguard.
Speaker 1: If I get in there and I ask a question and I say to Kayla, Hi, do you want to talk about your career and she goes no, and then Okay, well you've got to have a fallback, So I have a list there. I color cod that as stupid as it sounds. It's a little bit of type of preparation that I would do before I go into interview at a suspect, but just the preparation, have all the information in there. But I've only I've got limited capacity, so I tend to have a guest and then I'm into my next guest and I can't remember who I did the week before. So yeah, that's the prep.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and you've stressed me out because I have two interviews back to back tomorrow morning that I haven't started prepping for, but I will be prepping so late tonight. You have no idea. And like listening, I find even with these guys, if you're interviewing someone for a podcast, listening to previous podcast interviews is so good because not only do you just I really absorb information in an audio format, but you just get a vibe of who they are, and then when you go into a room, you feel like you already know them. Like with both of you, I'm like I know you guys, like you're not strangers, Kayla. You've been interviewing people as well, and that is a totally new thing. But it's really really new. Yeah, how are you going about it?
Speaker 5: I'm going all right, I'm going all right.
Speaker 4: I had to learn to stop butting in because my ADHD I just want to like, That's how I connect with people, is they just like, oh my god, you like this too, let's talk about it. But I guess in an audio format that's not exactly nice to listen to.
Speaker 5: So I had to.
Speaker 4: Really like just calm down and like really listen to what, you know, the persons saying.
Speaker 2: And yeah, yeah, that restraint is the hardest thing because you get really excited.
Speaker 5: I just want to say this one thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, someone will mention something halfway through a sentence and you're like, I don't want to, but I really need to know what I'm thinking.
Speaker 4: About it, and I can't stop thinking about it until.
Speaker 1: Can I just add Sometimes the criticism is that, oh, you're telling your stories, but this is what people don't understand. These are the ones I want to respond back to. If I just sat there and asked a series of questions and didn't have a conversation the conversation doesn't fly, and you sometimes and if you haven't, I'm sure you will be and you would have been criticized. Oh you're making the podcast about yourself. That's how you get a conversation flowing, That's how it rolls on. And they're the ones I want to respond to. I just don't know how to respond on social media, but.
Speaker 2: I know, I know, no response, Yeah, yeah.
Speaker 5: Thank you.
Speaker 3: Hi.
Speaker 8: My question was obviously for all of you. Your podcast concepts are such great concepts, but how do you know each episode's going to land in such a crowded space, like do you know fim.
Speaker 5: Land with the audience?
Speaker 2: Even if your last one did, how do you know the next one?
Speaker 7: Well?
Speaker 5: Yeah, Gary, Joanna.
Speaker 3: Look, I think that you build up the audience like that. That helps.
Speaker 1: It's a loyalty to the audience. And I've been confused sometimes when I've had big overseas guests, like really these are you know Donny Brasca, the real Donnie Brasca and have him on the podcast. I'm thinking everyone's going to be interested in this. We get the listeners, but I think there's a lot of local content. And sometimes I have guests overseas guests so that the audience don't buy into it as much because they don't relate. And then you get others that you think, oh, that's not going to be really interesting, and they just jump on it. So you build up the listeners, you stay true, you try things, and sometimes you take a risk and it doesn't work out, other times it does.
Speaker 4: That's totally It's like my online content, like, you know, some videos will go viral that I completely didn't think we're going to go viral. So I think it's just staying true to yourself and you know what you want to talk about, and your followers will listen to.
Speaker 2: What's been the most popular episode of your podcast so far, Kayler? Is it the launch where you talked about.
Speaker 5: I think family.
Speaker 4: Yeah, I think I try not to look at like numbers, but I think that was one of the bigger ones.
Speaker 5: Yeah, that and Peggy su.
Speaker 2: Yeah, I was I was gonna say that Peggy was a RAS later.
Speaker 5: So yeah.
Speaker 2: It's like not an exact science though, and that's what's so sometimes frustrating.
Speaker 5: I'm sure you guys mind it as well.
Speaker 2: You're like I know that this is this and then it's like oh yeah, and it's like no, people are really weird with their interests and and yeah, you'll have a guess that you just think, oh my gosh, this is such a huge get and people aren't as invested. And sometimes it's someone that you know doesn't have the profile, but there's just something really curious about them that people lean into. But there's also like so much that goes into I'm sure Gary you've mastered the art of like the title of an episode and the shown like all of this stuff that you kind of build up that knowledge over time.
Speaker 5: Any other questions, This is a question for the both of you.
Speaker 9: Obviously you'll reach out to connections and people that you know that you want to appear on the show, and then I'm sure you also get people on the other end who are expressing interest. Have either of you ever said no to a guest and if you can share why.
Speaker 2: That's such a good question, Kayla, do you want to go? I imagine you've had quite a few people with Yeah, I.
Speaker 5: Definitely have had people.
Speaker 4: And then I guess as well, like brand deals and things that will want to work on the podcast that I don't fully align with, And it's just that thing just staying true to yourself because obviously you're not going to feel as comfortable having someone that you don't really get along with, like you always try and make sure I have some sort of connection or alignment with like a brand or whatever.
Speaker 5: Before I work with them.
Speaker 2: Yeah, we probably have time. But one more quick question.
Speaker 3: Thank you.
Speaker 7: This has been incredible. Thank you so much. I'm bella co founder of dian. We have a podcast community inside PLATF.
Speaker 5: I was really curious how you.
Speaker 7: Approach fandom and your community and engaging with them beyond the episode. I think you've all done such an incredible job of building these loyal listener bases that really resonates your stories. How do you yet approach that connection beyond the episode?
Speaker 2: Gary, do you like your community of listeners? How do you engage with them?
Speaker 3: Like?
Speaker 2: Do you have events?
Speaker 1: Do you do like we did a live shower, I did a live tour that wasn't necessarily caught up with the podcast, but we did a live around the country, did a live tour. The best way I can do it is that people will reach out, and amazingly how they reach out, I try to respond unless they are a complete another on different platforms that it's not hard to find my email or a month phone numbers out there.
Speaker 3: But the people in.
Speaker 1: The street, the day to day people in the street, they're the ones that if they say hi, we listen to your podcast, I spend five minutes talking to and whatever, and I think that's important. I bumped into someone I won't mention his name, but I spoke to him just at the railway station. He's walking his dog and he posted something on social media and Nina, one of the producers, said, oh, you met such and such, and I've gone, who's that? Oh, he's posted a rock star And then I didn't didn't realize, but it ended up at the backstage at then More Theater when they were playing at sold out thing. But yeah, just being nice to people, I think is the way I tried to do it. You're approachable, it's everyone sharing their stories and that's important.
Speaker 4: Totally, and just yeah, being engaging in the comments, like responding to people like I think, like the whole reason why I started my TikTok was just to connect with people. So it really came easy to me to like connect with my fans and then yeah, I love seeing them out in public and they come up to me.
Speaker 5: It's like so sweet.
Speaker 2: What happens if somebody comes up to you in public and you're with your family.
Speaker 5: I've always been.
Speaker 4: Curious, like because like ninety percent of my following is female, Like, they are very respectful, Like I will see a lot of people just like way from a distance or be like I just wanted to say hi, but I didn't want to come up because so, yeah, I think just being respectful and obviously you know, being mindful that there's children around. But yeah, everyone's been so amazing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, and I think both of you have such such dedicated audiences where they feel that emotional connection with you, which is a testament to your authenticity, which is exactly what can reshape narratives, which is what this was about. So thank you so much for your time today. You're both so brilliant, and thank you for being here, and thank you for those questions. They were great.
Speaker 4: Thank you, Thank you guy.