Speaker 1: Live from Cans. This is Paul Murray Live out Town. Hello everyone here, we are here in beautiful topical lor Queens Plans. Have a look at this beautiful location that we're in tonight. We have got a wonderful celeblation and a great part of Australia coming up now. We've got lots of fun things that we've been doing all over Cans this weekend. Please, if you've been here ten years ago, twenty years ago, time to come back. If you've never been moving up the bucket list. This is a spectacular part of Australia. It's got something for everyone. You can go all the way from the eco tourism to playing with the crocodiles. You can do everything. And wonderful bars and restaurants all around the place, and some of the best mac and cheese you could possibly ever have in the history of my life. And believe me, I know im a mac and cheese. It is available here, believe it or not. Also, we're gonna have a chapter tonight, not just to local community leaders, people who celebrate this area. They'd love you to visit here, maybe come and live one day, but also people who want to look deep into the future, including the potential role of North Queensland in a space program. Imagine Australia being able to send itself to space. Of course, just like Oprah's mate or Katie Perry, I expect to be on the first flight. Just imagine what the jiggle looks like in zero gravity. I would offer to have the first cigar in space, but then I'm pretty sure that that doesn't work for anyone when it comes to their health. All right, now, before we get to the fund of this place, let's catch you up on what's been happening this weekend. Terrible situation when it comes to the floods in Northern and New South waleses lots of problems as well on the fringes, and some of the rain's going to move its way down south. He's a little bit about the latest of our mates down south from where we are here in Cairns, a.
Speaker 2: Woman spoke to a police officer just west of Dorigo and they traveled in convoy. As they traveled towards Costs Harbor, some flood waters at Karamba Road, which is near wild Cattle Creek Bridge, the officer.
Speaker 1: Stopped and told the woman he wasn't continuing.
Speaker 3: The officer claims he told the woman to be careful and gave her his mobile phone number.
Speaker 2: About thirty minutes later, they got a phone.
Speaker 1: Call from her who's in trouble.
Speaker 2: Emergency services attended in the search of the area, but the woman was unable to be located.
Speaker 1: That's how fast life is, and reminded of all of us about how safe we may feel this weekend, we don't know what our life is going to be like next weekend. Strength and love to her family and the others that have been deeply affected not just by injury but obviously death in the past of the while in terms of the food of the flood level starting to fall around places like tare good news there, but the cleanup operation kicks in when we're now talking about tens of thousands of homes which need to be taken care of the difficulty, of course, if you've insured, not insured, you guys know all of that. After many of the situations that you've had. Here, here's some of those that are facing that operation of trying to bring themselves back to normal.
Speaker 4: On the door level out the bark, you've actually got.
Speaker 5: About that high, so over two meters surely, yeah.
Speaker 4: This is bad.
Speaker 5: We need people here over the other side the bridge and you start to see the live stock losses and.
Speaker 4: People's likelihoods.
Speaker 1: Sorry, poor buggers again from everyone who is dealing with it right now, Strength and love from all of us here in North Queensland, who of course have had plenty of natural disasters themselves. Commitment though about what we're going to be doing on the TV show for the next week. We'll obviously focus on the clean up operation, but as the week rolls on, we're going to have people on in and around how to battle when it comes to your insurance company, So we'll be will and truly across that. As for the live radar and what is happening about where that weather and rain is happening to fall his the latest from sky News.
Speaker 5: Weather floodwaters are receding across New South However, there are still flood warnings in place. Moderate flood warning for Lumbee Brook at Volga following a peak on Saturday evening, and minor flood warning for the Hunter River, Maitland and Raymond Terrace. Now, even though it looks very different map than it did a day or two ago, there are still dangers to be aware of infrastructure damage, particularly to road washouts, is important to be mindful of.
Speaker 1: Did you see this garbage that took place in Melbourne today where two gangs apparently had had some sort of an organized fight in a shopping center, machetes involved. There was apparently some issues in and around failure to shut the thing down quickly enough. By that, I mean the shopping center and get the warnings in and around the place. Again, he's part of this madness. How a machete is legal anywhere in Australia, I don't know. Littlelone, Suburban Melbourne, LL tape.
Speaker 6: It was about two thirty. Here's a group of thugs have stormed the outlet, sending it into lockdown. It appears that they were armed with machetes, a police say. Then an opposing group or two opposing groups have then engaged in a fight and one person has been stabbed in that group, sustaining serious injury.
Speaker 1: And here's the latest when it comes to the police, of course trying to prevent this stuff, trying to deal with it as well. But what a sign about societal decay that this garbage happens on a Sunday afternoon in a public shopping center.
Speaker 7: There was two rival gangs had a pre meeting to meet up at the shopping center where there was an a fray, so in effect a fight between those two rival gangs. But what I want to do is reassure the community that this was not just some random thing that happened. It was a pre organized gang meeter where that affray has taken place. Members of the public, it would have been absolutely frightening to witness what they saw today.
Speaker 1: I mean, can you imagine the genius is organizing about this meeting rather than you know, local park under a bridge. Now, let's do it in the middle of where good, normal people are, where kids are hanging out on a disgraceful right. I look forward to learning more about it across the week, and obviously keeping the pump on the Victoria Police for more information. Now, everyone here at the no Overtail, We've got something very special for you. Okay, sorry, at the no Overtel caans Oasis, that's the official name. Get it right. Brings down the cost, which is we had a very special guest for you this evening. She's come all the way from the United States of America. The Vice President, Kamala Harris is in Queensland. How exciting, I mean, how exciting. So Kamala Harris has come to Australia, hung out, had dinner in Sydney, quick run up to the GC where she was paid, you know, a one bedroom unit on the Gold Coast amount of money to give us her insights into being a loser. I'm not sure, right, but just think about this looking again, No disrespect to the great people of the real estate industry around Australia, but this is the best you could do is to find this nothing, To find this nothing from somewhere else, to come over and tell us what what was she going to say? Like, unless she's going to turn around and sort of give us advice about how to refer to, you know, a president who's dying before our eyes as sort of a renovators special. I'm not entirely sure what it was that she was going to do, but this is part of the garbage she was thrown around.
Speaker 8: I have a lived experience that has taught me something I talk about all the time.
Speaker 9: So if you care about your career, you're invested in it, You're invested.
Speaker 4: In doing well.
Speaker 10: There's a dissension between speaking truth and some people are colck handed, all right.
Speaker 1: You might have heard the siren going off in the background. So of course, every time you offend a Democrat and you appear in public in part of a crowd, do what Trump does. Just move your head a lot. Okay, just move your head a lot. So I'm just gonna keep moving around just in case. All right, And there's this a couple of balconies, so we'll be fine. All right, Let's get into celebrating the beautiful people of cans are the wonderful things that you can do, and some of the wildlife that you can make. How north Queensland is this picturesque, but this is a picture with bite. You see forty five minutes just north of the CBD in Cans is Hartley's Crocodile Adventures. They are legends in these parts and you can see some of the strongest jaws in the world that are even stronger than mine. So what does a crocodile eat apart from people? Apart from us?
Speaker 11: As long as it's not vadgies, mate, I don't think they really care. Yeah, there's no salads on the crocodile diet. Here at the park at Hartley's they get an extra of things, but chicken, beef, pork, kangaroo or anything like that. And we feed these guys as little as possible. They don't need to be fed all the time. We don't want to overfeed them.
Speaker 1: So tell me about this bugger? How old? How big? How mean?
Speaker 11: So this guy here, he's the largest on the park. His name Spidacus. He's four point six meters in length. We had to lose a volunteer to find that one out.
Speaker 1: I don't want the job hearing that.
Speaker 11: He's probably about five six hundred kilos.
Speaker 1: This guy here, Riki, you want to have a go bloody? Yes? Do kild of their head? Sield with their head. He's thinking about Spartacus. You're bigger than me. You meet it in me. But I've got the food right now, and it's not me. It's doctor Seuss apparently trying to feed here. We come on mate, Oh wow, you know, hold on woo.
Speaker 9: Yeah.
Speaker 11: So what we got in here is a man made lagoon is created to recreate a wild habitat for these crocs and hair. So it's a paperbark Mela Luca Wetland. You've got about thirty saltwater crocodiles in here about twenty girls, ten lucky boys. It's all about managing the hierarchy. So just over here, underneath the branches, you have our dominant male, so four point three meters four or five hundred kilos. His name is zont is a cattle killer, so allegedly he killed Ferdy cattle.
Speaker 1: You have got to come to hart Lea's when you are in cans. The experience of just seeing these magnificent animals with your own eyes is something I'll never forget. The opportunity to get as close as you can hear, and you're able to take photos with lots of wildlife. And if you want to give that special gift to someone special, they can feed the croc like I just did too. This is amazing.
Speaker 12: Take it away, Angelo and the term of Hardley.
Speaker 4: Did you like the.
Speaker 1: North Queensland out there? Did you like the very loud shirt? It was good?
Speaker 12: All right.
Speaker 1: Let's have a chat now with two people very passionate about this part of Australia. The local mayor is none other than am the Eden and Annette Derrek, who was the Citizen of the Year this year. Give him around of a pause, give him around of a pause, Adam mayor what a part of the world to represent? What's it like to were to represent this incredible bit of Australia.
Speaker 13: Oh look, it's busy, but it's good. I love Cans and I've got the T shirt to prove it.
Speaker 1: Bloody O.
Speaker 13: We are the gateway to Pacific and Turres and Cape. We have such an exciting opportunity ahead of us. We've just got to grasp it a bit like you grasp in the crocs.
Speaker 1: Correct. Correct. By the way, I've got official miuroral approval about that shirt that I was wearing. Think that was colorful standby for what we're planning a little bit, a little bit later. In terms for the locals though, I mean, obviously the tourism in picture well established, right, But for locals, what's the sort of infrastructure that Cans needs? And perhaps on national television and opportunity to remind the Southeast about what the North needs.
Speaker 13: We probably wouldn't believe it, but they say humidity.
Speaker 4: Is the new altitude.
Speaker 13: We've got lots of humidity if you would believe it.
Speaker 1: I'm aware of it yet right now, I'm pretty sure I'm aware of it.
Speaker 13: So that makes us along with our international airport and all the accommodation. It makes us a wonderful training hub for the twenty thirty two Olympics.
Speaker 1: Ah nice.
Speaker 13: Yeah, So we want to be the sporting destination. We're aspiring to be the capital of women's sport in the country. Little bit ambitious here, but we're going to give it a crack. So we need a high performance center and that will make the Cowboys Women's move to camp. Moved to camps from Townsville go to Cowboys and that will really get us moving in that space. So being a training camp for Olympics, the Green Gold Runway, that's us.
Speaker 7: So.
Speaker 1: And then when somebody turns around and says you've been nominated for Citizen of the Year, how did that go down?
Speaker 4: Well?
Speaker 14: I thought I was just turning up for a nomination certificate and I didn't know there was a winner. So I did the big ugly cry and yeah, got presented that award and it was that blew my mind, it really did.
Speaker 1: So sport is your focus and you've been volunteering with them for a long time.
Speaker 4: Yeah.
Speaker 14: So I've been with the Kangaroos Junior Rugby League club for a long time. Probably only five years. But my husband grew up in that club.
Speaker 1: And when my.
Speaker 14: Twin boys decided they wanted to play rugby league in twenty twenty, were like, okay, well there's only one club you're going to and that's Ruse. So of course, even when the boys started primary school, I jumped up and wanted to be a president in their first prep year and they like, give it a year, so second year I was, and then I helped all their events and all that throughout the year. So volunteering has been in my blood. But helping the football club once I got there and I saw these young kids, like my boys didn't start an under sixes, but you know they started under tens. But you see these kids that just go out there and they play the little hearts out and the club's.
Speaker 4: Pretty run down.
Speaker 14: It's it needs a lot of money ingested into.
Speaker 4: It, so a lot of grants.
Speaker 14: We struggled getting sponsors, but I did get a fifty eight thousand dollars grant through the gambling grant, which we did our canteam, which is our number one income, so excellent. That's now set up so that they can work more efficiently to make more money, which we can then put back into the club.
Speaker 1: I never forget way back when when my mum was running our local little athletics club, right, and you know, obviously volunteers, there's the person who's great with the canteen, the person who's great with the timing, all the rest of it. But it is and i'd imagine it is exactly the same today as it was last century, which is a lot of these clubs really do hang on by just a thread, right, it's just year to year. If ten kids more or less decide to turn up, it's the difference between whether you're going to make it or not. But what's it like in a community like this that obviously loves sportlight like rugby league that if it needs help, can you get help pretty easily from the parents' families.
Speaker 14: I'd love to say yes, but unfortunately not. You know, we reach out every year for sponsorships and it's really really hard. We've only got two fields, but we have the biggest registration of kids, and we're also ninety three percent Aboriginal Torres Strait Islanders as well. With registrations, we do know the biggest registration all of our competitive teams at the moment are actually all top three on the ladder, so happy for that. So we've got some great people. And for the state of origin coming up, Nano and Hammaso, they came from Kangaroo's juniors, so we've got some up and coming natural talent coming through. So, you know, sponsorships and donations is a big thing that I try to really work on.
Speaker 1: When you've got as passionate people as this is part of the community, it is a place where there's an awful lot of people that want to get involved and want to make it can do. How do we make sure that Ken's continues to move towards can do.
Speaker 4: I think it's just in our blood, Paul.
Speaker 13: To be honest, we're often in the top ten for GoFundMe. We're generous, we're kind hearted people, and we create opportunities to make people have a purpose, still have a purpose.
Speaker 4: And connection to community.
Speaker 13: But generally a city that most people know their neighbors, so you know, if you run out of the brown sugar or the onion, you can just pop next door. And it's that type of mentality that I think is displayed here that the.
Speaker 4: Net's talking about. All of our community groups.
Speaker 13: We have so many we're massively multicultural here and we have so many events, and everyone has to roll up their sleeves, whether you're sweating or not, and get in and they just do it with a smile. So you know, we've got beautiful sunshine, ripened pineapples and big juicy smiles hanging on doing whatever we're doing, whether it's weeding in the community garden or you know, being.
Speaker 4: A ref out on the field.
Speaker 1: How many people volunteer in this community doing something somewhere else right up the backs, life and active. All right, family, that's your family, as if you've got any choice, As if you've got any choice.
Speaker 14: So my husband's the coach of our team and I'm the manager, and my boys play in the under fifteen. Give us a way, family, get on you well done, EXCEP every home game they're they're they're setting up at five thirty six o'clock in the morning with me and then they're there to pack up in the.
Speaker 1: Aft and do everyone else will put up your hand. Thank you for what you do and for everyone else didn't, I'm pretty sure you're having the past. So thank you to all of you for what you do for the community. All the time. Give them round of applause. Thank you very much, congratulating, lovely.
Speaker 12: To meet you.
Speaker 1: We've got plenty more from Kansas where poolside. While it's a little cold where you are, it is awesome where we are here on a Sunday night. Welcome back Cans. We are having a great time here at an overtel beautiful pool by the way, open all the way till ten pmka so you can have a cool down and you need it when it comes to the humidity. But it is an absolutely spectacular part of Australia and we love Australian made products right. It's really important that we make sure that we have as much industry and make as much stuff here as possible. Harvey Normand is together with the good people from Australian Maid celebrating over the past week, just gone everything that is Australian Made. You all know how much I love this incredible country, from our magnificent city to a unique outback, the beautiful coasts, every little bit of it. I think I might have some competition this week because the great people at Australian Made feel just the same and they are committed to supporting all things Ozsie when you.
Speaker 3: Buy Australian made, not only getting products made to some of those highest standards in the world both from a safety and quality point of view, you're creating jobs here in Australia, you're keeping people employed, you're pumping money back into the economy, and you're often supporting local businesses now into the future.
Speaker 1: We got to catch up with local Aussie manufacturer Kevin Adno, who helped us understand just how beneficial it is to both the company and the consumer to support local manufacturers like him.
Speaker 15: We believe in producing product and furniture in a market that it's close to its consumers and to its customers, and sustainability. Localized manufacturing is sustainable, It's inherently sustainable and for all those elements, the customer gets those benefits as well as the benefits of a shorterly time, highly customized product and a better value product.
Speaker 1: In some very exciting news, full time Olympic gold medalist Arion Titmus is now both Harvey Norman and an Australian Made ambassador. You can truly feel how infectious she is about everything green and gold.
Speaker 16: Now I've represented Australia for almost a decade now, and we have that underdog mentality, and I think that people don't recognize manufacturing in our own country often enough, and so maybe to put a young face of the campaign off the back of the Olympic Games, it's been important to kind of put some eyes onto the campaign more. Hopefully people are going to look out for the little kangaroo now more often.
Speaker 3: Arianne was the perfect Australian Made Week ambassador. She's an Australian icon, so pairing her with the Australian Made logo another of the icon, was really simple. The determination that she shows when she represents Australia, you know, merors the determination that our growers, our manufacturers and our retailers that supply AUSI made products that they show daily.
Speaker 1: With over thirty five years under its belt, the Australian Made campaign has become a symbol of quality and authenticity and our mates of Hearty Mormon are so committed to its future.
Speaker 17: This fabulous thing about this country that we support each other and Australian Made has been part of what we've done since nineteen eighty two. It's really important to Jerry and I. It's important that we're making sure that people are employed here that they have of good lifestyle as an Australian company. People when they read what we do, they're so proud that a local Australian company can do all of this. But we should do it right. So I'm not saying anything other than we should do it. There are values in the CEO of Harvey Norland Katie Page.
Speaker 16: I've always said to younger athletes, it's really important that you don't just sign deals because you want money or want to be here or there. It's about signing deals with people that are like minded, that you really get along with, that you can give them as much as.
Speaker 4: They can give you back.
Speaker 16: And I truly thought that with Harvey Norman.
Speaker 15: Every bit of our collaboration with Harvey Norman has been incredibly rewarding. I think, I know that furniture manufacturing in Australia wouldn't be what it is without Harvey Norman. I would question whether it would exist at all for the residential in the residential market, and I think at that scale, that ability to reach Australia wide, Regional Australia, Metro Australia, Australia wide a lars manufacturers to get the volume that's needed for survival.
Speaker 1: Even though we're at the end of Australia Made Week. Next time you're out shopping, be mindful about how much it helps our country to buy local looks for this symbol and go all.
Speaker 3: In by Australia Made. You're supporting Australians and getting great quality products.
Speaker 1: Thank you Katie, the Tamahaby Normandy. Their support of Australian business is fantastic and one of the really cool things is we're going around the country this year is locals are able to nominate community organizations who should benefit from a giftouchers at Harvey organ the value of two thousand dollars. Here in Cans, the people who the local community decided to offer their support to was Brent Too as the president of the football club and also Libby who is part of the managing director of the female co in Bungalow, and Jay who is there with the raising Indigenous voices in it. I had a really good chat to all of them, particularly a chat with j Make sure you follow them on social media as well. Really cool idea about how to broaden the types of interests and careers of all types of people around the country. It's really cool. Now, somebody I got the chance to meet briefly yesterday, but I wanted to have a proper chapter on the telly right now as a person who is I think an example of the best of this area. And that's not just somebody who runs toward trouble each and every day by being a police officer, but is also trying to keep kids out of trouble. Give it up for Sergeant Kelly Chamberlain, the lovely Lady of two is of course the program manager of the PCYC for in kens Now, we know that the difficulty of policing is that you often have to deal with the difficult end of things. But how important is it to try to to prevent those things by providing options and community for kids before something might go wrong.
Speaker 18: Yeah, Look, early intervention is absolute key. If we can prevent young people from starting to make those poor choices early, then eventually we're going to get to the point where the increases in crime start to slow down. We all know it's never ever going to completely stop, but what we want is obviously this epidemic that's going through the whole of Australia, not just cans to slow down significantly, and the only way is through early intervention, starting younger and younger. You know, we have now created early intervention programs that we are starting in OSH services. Wow, they're beautiful programs run by the OSH services themselves and us as police officers. But that's how young we're starting now. We're taking it really seriously.
Speaker 1: But also it's so important about you giving us an insight as well into the complexities of policing now as you want, like I couldn't be hard align on youth crime, and I'm happy with the changes that the COINS and government's putting in place, but also, like everyone else, you want to make sure that a few people go towards the criminal justice system where are doing things that end up where you need to be called out. How important to your ethos of policing to the idea that when you went through the academy took the oath, was this part of the job as well?
Speaker 18: Oh look, probably when you very very first joined the police, you don't think that deeply about the individual people that you're going to effect. I think most police officers can probably put the hand on their heart and.
Speaker 4: Say they joined because they wanted to help people.
Speaker 18: They'll cliche, but most of us absolutely did join to help people.
Speaker 4: I think I'm very fortunate in.
Speaker 18: My position when I'm working with really young people teenagers eleven, twelve, thirteen, and you see the obstacles that they're up against. Having the privilege of been able to help them over those.
Speaker 4: Obstacles and give them some.
Speaker 18: Skills and some abilities to start moving forward themselves is probably the best part of what I do.
Speaker 1: So tell us about the PCYC. What's the sort of stuff that you do in.
Speaker 18: Kens So PC YIC and Ken's we are doing some awesome things. So we are doing a very very early intervention. Like I say, Cadet Club is one of our newest programs. I'm running a program called Ruby, which is a resilience program for women who've been through domestic violence. We run Club and Culture, which is an after school activity every single day where young people are getting to get involved in sports, cultural activities, painting, craft, art.
Speaker 4: We feed them, we mentor them.
Speaker 18: And then the big one for me is the after Dark program, which we started in Ken's. So that's two nights a week where we go into the local communities, we pick young people up.
Speaker 4: Take them back to the PCYC.
Speaker 18: I have a team of volunteers who are incredible, and we pretty much hang out.
Speaker 4: With these kids.
Speaker 18: We play board games, play uno guests who we play sports. They get a cooked meal, and at the end of the night we actually take them back to their doorstep rather than just them leaving the club and wandering off into the darkness.
Speaker 1: Have you seen a positive impact, particularly of the after Dark stuff. What's the type of stuff that you've seen. Again, we're to talk about individuals, but what are the types of things that you've seen that have been the positive.
Speaker 4: Yeah, look, the general change.
Speaker 18: I've been running after Dark now for about nineteen months, and when the kids from community first came to us, they didn't understand that to come into another space there had to be a group agreement. There had to be rules, and I got the kids to write that agreement. It was all on them, you know, things like no swear and no bullying, you know, no vaping. Even it took them quite a long time to understand that my three.
Speaker 4: Strike rule was really serious.
Speaker 18: You know, they get two warnings and on the third time they get in the car with Sergeant Kelly and they are taken home. We only had to probably do it a few times with different kids and then they've then realized and they actually pull each other up now.
Speaker 4: So that's one of the biggest changes.
Speaker 18: For me is yeah, not not having the behaviors to.
Speaker 4: Deal with like we did early on.
Speaker 18: They are starting to show respect. They're starting to have respect for themselves, which is probably the most important thing.
Speaker 1: Yesterday at Harvey Norman, when we had the chance to have the conversation, you're running a sausage's all right, did the best to donate to it, But obviously, what what does a couple one hundred dollars do for the program? Just you can get a bit out of a little right one per.
Speaker 18: Every single cent counts to us. We are feeding these kids every night. Only last week I had a young person who was excluded from school because she didn't have shoes. You know, I had another young girl who doesn't have access to sanitary items or shower jail because she's CouchSurfing.
Speaker 4: You know, all of those little.
Speaker 18: Bits of money that come our way goes such a long way in our space and what we do.
Speaker 1: All right, So for a couple of hundred bucks, all goo, Okay, I'm very pleased to say that sitting in the front right now from Harvey Norman here in Kansas print Warm and they have given a grant to the PCYC in Cans from the Cans Harvey Norman of twenty thousand dollars. Amazing, congratulations, Thank you so much. So what can be done with this money? Thank you so much.
Speaker 18: Oh, look, this is a huge amount of money. What we're really trying to focus on is the future of what we're doing, trying to increase the amount of young people that can come into our program that we can affect. We can't do that on our own. We need better transport, we need more people on board, we need more volunteers. So look, twenty thousand dollars will go such a long way.
Speaker 4: And we are so grateful.
Speaker 18: As Mayor Amy said, this community is so supportive of what we are trying to achieve.
Speaker 4: So we're very, very grateful.
Speaker 1: Well, this is the thing. It's the local store supporting the local community, the local version of the PCYC. Bent again, thank you, congratulations, Thank you sir, thank you, thank you for the week. Honestly, thank you. All right, crick back back with more here as we tell more of the story of Cans in a moment here on for Murray life. That's a lot that Welcome back here for the no totel in Cans. Have a look at this fool. What a spectacular and still open? Is that a hint of what might be about to happen? Who knows? We're all going to go skinny diping Cans? How good is that? No? No, no, no, I think we're close enough now we've known each other for fifteen years via Telly. It's all just a massive neuds squeet. Let's go all right before we get there and I work out just how awkward that moment was in real life? Is the experience that we had in and around the water here, and of course you know, I don't mind a jet ski. Tourism has changed a lot over the years in Cans. There's so many different fun things to do in and around the city, but eco tourism is something that has really become a major part of what they do here. Six hundred and forty million dollars is the size of the industry. It employs thousands of people and there are seventy different businesses that are talking about the local environment, sustainability and trying to do things green and we've found a perfect example of one of them. If you think this looks fun, it's really fun. But it's also a wonderful way to see incredible countryside, Like how can I look at the absolutely gorgeous I think I should explore a little more. And at the end of the adventure, after a quick swim, you get your own private island. I told you this was about eco tourism.
Speaker 19: Come to can North Queensland's amazing.
Speaker 1: Oh you gotta rip into the jet skates when you get here. It is really very very very good. I think tours very important that we showcase that, and good that we took seven hours to film that package as there just very we had to make sure every single donut was absolutely correctly covered. Now imagine if North queens that could play a role an Australian Space agency. Well there's a reason for it. It's not just to do with the wonderful people, but a very specific reason as to why we are hearing to tell us as none of the James Palmer is the CEO of the operation trying to do so lovely to see you mate, all right, So as they put the nights down and just want to have a chat. What is it about North Queensland? What gives it its proximity is where it sits, you know, in terms of the curvature of the Earth. Well, there's just you know, you've got a bit of land somewhere and you want to.
Speaker 8: Throw a rocket up column a column bean. There's a lot to it, right, So this is back in the eighties. Joe had a crack at this, some of people might remember and got very close. But really, why are we doing this?
Speaker 1: Why is it here?
Speaker 11: Well?
Speaker 8: Cape York is fundamentally a great location geographically for space launch anything from large launch heavy rockets like these big SpaceX rockets that you know of, right down through to small sounding rockets or low earth orbit stuff. And main reasons are we're close to the equator, it's close the east and seaboard of a continent, and we're in a very geopolitically stable country most of the time.
Speaker 1: So that's really the key. They're the key.
Speaker 8: Things that make a location like Cape York really really attractive to the international community, and that's groups like NASA, ISA.
Speaker 1: And some so have you seen as the private side of space has certainly stepped to the four in places like the United states, is that increasingly becoming the future of space That, yes, there's government involvement, but this is very much a private industry drive.
Speaker 8: Yeah, very much so, so to give it to put it in numbers, currently the industry globally is worth roughly eight hundred billion dollars globally. By the early twenty thirties, it's expected to surpass a trillion.
Speaker 1: That's US dollars.
Speaker 8: Okay, the trajectory part of the put of space, it's just the commercial use has gone through the roof and it's just continuing to grow. And that with that alone comes one big problem. There's lots of companies building rockets. There's not enough places to launch them from. Wow, And that's one of the key reasons why we're doing what we're doing.
Speaker 1: So let me ask it and then elefant in the room question. There's a giant bunfight. When somebody wants to put a Bunnings in on the Sunshine coast, how do you do it here? I mean, there's the inevitable people that are going to say, you can't move a single palm tree, how do you do it? And who needs to buy into it?
Speaker 8: It is a massively complex process and for us my company, we started Spacing Australia back in twenty nineteen and we've been doing that now for nearly six years and that's been a huge amount of time spent working with WEEP the Western Cape and everywhere in between, all the way up to Torres Strait Island and back down to cans And so far today we've been it's been great. With there's a lot of stuff you have to do with cultural cultural heritage survey, archaeological survey and so on, environmental assessments and everything, and that's fundamentally shifted over the last number of decades as well.
Speaker 1: In reality we care more about it right so, and when.
Speaker 8: You look at other launch locations in other countries that aren't within us UK Australia, they have a very different approach to those sorts of factors. But for us, really really happy to say that.
Speaker 1: We've made we've made it.
Speaker 8: We've got some principal agreements in place now, serious contracts in place with Lathigi traditional owner family up in Cape York and that gives us access to over three hundred square kilometers of land and that's on a very long term lease. And I'm going to talk more about that at the Space, some at the Australian Space Exhibition, some in Sydney tomorrow, Tuesday and Wednesday. But it's been a long it's a long journey and that alone has opened up a massive Pandora's box on more work that we've got to get through, especially with anything to do with environment and cultural, cultural survey and archaeological survey. And that's really exciting because this is the furthest it's ever got. Historically, there's been other spaceports in Australia, smaller ones working in sort of certain market segments, but for us, we are working directly with NASA. We have an office in Wallops Island over in Virginia at n NASA Godard Space Flight Center, and with them we're working on bringing artemists to Kpuble and that can be seen as early as the early twenty thirties. So we've got a lot of work to get through to see ourselves in that position.
Speaker 1: Now over the decades we know, of course, so the first man on the moon American, the first monkey I think was Russian or some sort of animal. What are the chances of getting either a four X or a Great Northern into space? I think they're pretty high. Yeah, imagine that, just like all the other sides of big experiments sleep in. We're going to see if we can go to get anisky into.
Speaker 8: Space everything except for smoking. All they could lights inside it composed, Other.
Speaker 1: Than that would happen. All right, cool, Well at cheering on. I won't be watching, I won't be in there, in there, but I'll be cheering long if people want to read more about it. What's the website social seat of people?
Speaker 8: Sure so space Center Australia dot com. That's the website. We're everywhere on LinkedIn, Facebook, all the socials. So yeah, more than happy to always talk to people, and we've got a lot more, a lot more excited things to talk about in the near future too.
Speaker 1: Good stuff, Thank you so much, Really appreciate the conversation. All right, shop hands, great Morgan in space or four X Great Northern goes into space, or a four X goes into space, or a VB goes into space, or a coconut water Is that what you want me to say? Like, no, not foreign bay, it's cans, all right, thank you guys. All right, now, speaking of food and all such things, there's a great little announcement. We've got tonight for lots of regional communities here in North Queensland, and it comes around mates at Uber Eats. It won't surprise you, but I love food. I am also not going to surprise you by saying that I am guilty of a late night Uber Eats order after the show. This has been very easy to do in big cities or major hubs like here in Cans but with one in three Aussies leaving in regional areas, Uber Eats is coming to a place near you.
Speaker 10: We are launching one hundred new regional towns here in Australia this year. We've already launched thirty, we're doing fifteen a month, and in June we're launching fifteen new towns in Queensland.
Speaker 12: Over ten million customers.
Speaker 10: Use the Uber Rideshare app or the Uber Eats app every single year and one of the benefits we see as we push further into regions is these are big tourist centers as well, and so when consumers from Melbourne or from Sydney are visiting the regions, we want them to be able to open the Uber Eats app and have the same convenience and the same great selection of local restaurants and local merchants to be able to deliver their goods when they're on holiday as well.
Speaker 1: From your pun to Ealy Beach to one of my favorites, the good people of Mount Isa. All these residents can now expect some incredible food and drink options coming your way thanks to uber eats. Now. If you live in any one of these fifteen locations, you better start thinking about what you're going to work for me. It's a little cheeky Chinese lemon chicken thank you, or pizza Margareta I'm a simple fellow, or whatever floats your boat you can order it on uber eats. We got the chance to catch up with Jackie from Annie's Now. They are a Vietnamese ic coffee shop that is here in Cairns and also other locations all over Queensland. They are famous for their signature coffee which is shaken on ice with condensed milk. Yes that's right, condensed milk.
Speaker 8: Now.
Speaker 1: Just two weeks ago they joined the more than sixty thousand other options in Australia on uber eats. They are part of a growing business and the way to do that is to connect with customers through the app.
Speaker 9: The reason we chose to join forces with Uber was just to grow awareness around our brand and also to help that revenue grow during our off peak times.
Speaker 1: Those new locations i mentioned earlier. All of that is said to bring in an extra forty five million dollars to local business owners in just the first year, as well as creating thousands of new jobs to get that good gear to your joint.
Speaker 9: For us, it's definitely helped expand our revenue, especially during those off peak times and the.
Speaker 12: Low foot traffic.
Speaker 9: So so far, within the two weeks our can stores in our total revenue has added an extra two percent, which is really fantastic to see. Without any advertising.
Speaker 10: We're projecting more than two and a half thousand people will earn on the Uber Eats app in these new towns in regional Australia. It's fantastic to see the impact across both local business and for people looking for flexible work opportunities.
Speaker 1: So if you're a restaurant, cafe, food store, whatever you do, you've got to get on board with Uberreats because not only will it help generate revenue for your business, it's also super simple to sign up to uber eats will help you every step of the way from beginning right the way through.
Speaker 10: We partner with over sixty thousand merchants across Australia. Our job is to make it easy for restaurants to sign up and deliver with overeats.
Speaker 12: That's no different whether.
Speaker 10: In your big capital cities or in region or Queensland.
Speaker 9: They actually rang my managers individually to set up the tablets and go through all that process. We are looking at expanding out uber EAT's footprint throughout the rest of our shops in Queensland, so we do currently have it on six stores down South, so we definitely as soon as we get the flow worked out here in Cans we will integrate it into our shops, hopefully by the end of this month.
Speaker 1: There are also so many special features inside the app which guarantee that the same stuff that turns up to people's door is exactly the same quality as what you sell in store every day.
Speaker 9: They do also use the uber eats features like the temporary pause or the busy mode to manage that workflow and to maintain that quality and speed, so it definitely allows them to make sure consistency how you would in shop during those every time we see.
Speaker 10: That our role is a plug and play local commerce platform for these restaurants. It's access to new customers and the ability for them to very quickly.
Speaker 12: Turn on last mile delivery from their restaurants.
Speaker 1: Now, if your business is famous for that one thing that everyone in town knows about, connect with the people that everyone in the world knows about. That when you're a little bit hungry and you want the food to come to you, you go to Uber eats and your audy your favorite from your local shop too. I really do feel so strongly about making sure that regional Australia has the same access to services and opportunities as those in the city. And that's why I love this expansion by uber eats so much. Food brings people together, whether it's after a go go go weekend with friends or just a lazy night after a busy day at work and you want somebody else to cook for you, and Uber Eats are committed to making that possible in as many places as they can.
Speaker 10: So Uber Eats we're about delivering a better day, and we started with restaurant food.
Speaker 12: That's our sort of core business in the metros.
Speaker 10: When we launched here almost a decade ago, but now it really is about delivering almost anything. We're very excited to be there and we think that we can have a massive impact to these regional towns in Queensland.
Speaker 1: Thank you gang. Yes, all of those different locations for a company that's coming all around Queen's Land. Now I'm going to say something very special double checkman notes good Fae Brown. Fay Brown is ninety two years of age. It's her birthday and I just want to say thank you for watching now. Of course, you know, this is the fifteenth year that we've been doing the show that's in this format, but of course there was a little show before that. There was a pop up every now on the Friday. Faye had family who worked has family who worked at Sky News. She's basically seen every single thing that I've done over the fifteen years. So Faye, she's not here. I worry not bring her out in a cake or anything, just saying Faye, happy birthday and thank you for being so loyal, and everyone in the room and everyone watching at home who is relentlessly loyal. I do appreciate great.
Speaker 19: Back with more here if all my live in camp Hala, welcome back to Cairns. Look at this fella.
Speaker 1: This is Xander. Now we met Zander a little bit earlier in the day working away as a bartender. But this is his actual passion, which is normally a bit of fire twirling. But this is the oh and s safe version of fire twirling. Oh show it off, Xander. Look at this rock and roll available for parties. You can find him online. We'll make sure all of our socials look at this. He looks a million bucks as always well, of course, as Xander well just gets the planes to land from wherever he wants to it and this moment in time, look at this good looking boy. That's it from all of us here in Cans. Thank you so much to everyone who's up there and been watching the show. Thank you to everyone when it comes to the No hotel and this beautiful hotel been enjoying for the past for a while. Remember the whole point and purpose of our town is to celebrate Australia as it is where it has fire twirlers, it has cops doing amazing jobs. It has local businesses that are taking care of those people. It has people who believe that they live in the best place in the world. This has been one of my favorite Ourtowns We've ever done because it covers all of that truth and I want to make sure that if nothing else, you visit Australia, you visit all parts of Australia and the best way to show your love for Australia is to twirl if you want to and make the most of this beautiful country. So yeah, that's it from CANS. Thank you everyone appreciate it. The Wild Report's coming up in a second round. Yes,