Speaker 1: Well, Tommy, you lose about six or seven in a row and you have to beat Newcastle at Newcastle on Old Boys. How dare you?
Speaker 2: What an afternoon? It's always nice going and spoiling someone's old boys day, always nice and you were there even just coietly.
Speaker 1: You did not spoil my day.
Speaker 3: Quick summary. Just give us the summary of the game itself.
Speaker 1: The game.
Speaker 3: What did you like about the game? You were there at Old Boys weekend? So manly Newcastle, the Old Boys, how Tommy goes great? Give me some other things that happened in the game.
Speaker 1: Okay, Clayton for the score, it was forty six twenty six four the war. But I'll tell you what leading into the game I had I had a I was deeply concerned because of Tommy's return, but also Clayton in the sixth Folalo. I just when he went into the six jersey, I just had a feeling he was going to give you as an extra little bit of a bit of cutting edge and attack. Is a natural player.
Speaker 2: Oh natural footy players. You feel like he just put him, put him on the field and you get a job done. You know what he's done for us this year, in the last couple of years been exceptional. He was probably our best on the weekend him and unbelievable on that left edge, just such a good runner of the football.
Speaker 3: What about Fozz Like he came in after seabold one more than he lost in that period of time when that losing streak. Was there a change in the way that he coached or the way that he got the reaction or was it just the fact that you came.
Speaker 2: Back and you're no, no, no, it's definitely not been the case to change. Definitely not been the case. He was too kind of it. But no, I think he hasn't changed obviously, Like when he come in and you know the belief he gave us and the boys just got in the back of it. He probably thought that this job's easy. For ten years and coaching footy team's hard work, and you know, that struggling period, he probably realized, I guess a little bit how hard it is. But he still wasn't changing his demand. He still wanted us to go after the same things and still fully believed and you know, if we went out there and just did our job, we would get a performance done. And it was great that we could do it on the weekend.
Speaker 3: Because we've spoken about this. You and I aren't coaches, but imagine what forun did to get those wins if he started over coaching or changing his style. It's good to see that he did it right, because all of a sudden, you go from inexperienced coach that wins games, then you start changing. I think it's mixed messages.
Speaker 1: But the players just picked straight up.
Speaker 2: On yeah, yeah, yeah, But we also had a lot of personal changes that where's the line? What is over coaching? We obviously books, he goes down. He's got two hundred and seventy games first great experience. We're bringing Joey. How much coaching do you want to give him? What do you want to let him just play his own style? But you just got to find what works. And I think he's done a really good job with that. Tommy, and I'll ask you this too. And I was talking to somebody I forget who it is. It happens when you get past fifty. Conveniently, we got lots of things.
Speaker 3: Apologies in advance for this because this happens throughout the show.
Speaker 1: Jake now and but Tommy someone they were telling me they were in the box when you were in there and they said it was quite remarkable. You're talking about right now, this is where the ball's got to go, and et cetera, et cetera. And I just want to ask you this. I'm interested by this. Do do you do that on? How can I say it? Almost gut instinct, low broad brush or are you a number counter?
Speaker 2: I'm a number counter. Yeah, yeah, numb account all day.
Speaker 1: I will. So you where do you get your best bearings from?
Speaker 2: Oh? I just well, you know what, Like I guess I've been manly a long time and worked you know, on a different coaches, but we know what we're trying to do an attack, and I feel like I'm able to, you know, identify when we've got an opportunity and where to go. And I think being a fullback that helps, Like counting numbers and how you split the field up defensively, I feel like it helps them go into attack. So yeah, I definitely number coount and the.
Speaker 1: Fact that it helps you at nine nine mathematics and HSI.
Speaker 3: It's been a long time, so I've been a coaches box. But one thing coaches boxes are very reactive. Yes, they react to things as opposed to proactively seeking opportunities. So I like the current players who are injured or in a position where they can forward think as opposed to be reactive. There's enough people in that coaches box that blow up de lux because of a referee decision or a try get scored. I think current players in the coaching box actually see things a little bit more. Oh, there's an opportunity, are that players injured or they should attack more right because we're being about going left. I think it's a good thing that coaches do because just generally speaking, very reactive in the coaches box.
Speaker 2: They are different bunch of coaches, aren't they Just awful people.
Speaker 1: It's just awful people, boys. But just on the ladder wires, top of the pops, they're on the same points as Penrith and the Roosters one point in four and against one point better than the Panthers at the moment. And so it's Panthers, Roosters, Dolphin, Dolphins. Rap out the round up the top four, Sharks, Nights, Souse, Cowboys, Doggies, Manly, mathematical chance till Tommy, Yeah.
Speaker 3: Talking about the latter, do you think a team from outside the top four can win it?
Speaker 1: How they sit at the moment. No, I don't, I don't. I don't think so. The one the one side that I thought where if the Dolphins set outside. The Dolphins to me still like a team that could smash and grabbing win the title.
Speaker 2: What about mainly sneaking to eighth spots a massive chance.
Speaker 1: I'm off you No, no, on with Maddie.
Speaker 3: I think it's the three teams. I think it's Warriors, Panthers and the Roosters. On their day, the Dolphins could put it together. And as you said, smashing Graham, I think for the Sharks, if they like, they can still finish fourth. But I didn't carriage the Sharks to try and finish five or the Knights need to finish five or six because they are a better chance of progressing through September home week one and then getting a team that's hold hopefully being beaten up by one of the better teams in the.
Speaker 2: I think Sharks, Sharks are a chance getting through their back. They're a good footage.
Speaker 1: I just can't I just can't trust them, Tommy, you know what I mean. We've sat on here a few times when they went through their great run and we're going and I forget what game was. It was the South game and the box. It was in the box, in the box, you know. And he's doing things that you don't normally associate with crawfitz Gibbon. And afterwards, when the week after they had the bad last year, okay, okay, he anticipated almost like intuition, felt that loss coming. And they just do that so much. And although they beat the Mighty Titans on the weekend, I just thought that, you know, they're a long way, a long way off what they have to be one of the top teams.
Speaker 3: They call the Titans mighty on the weekend.
Speaker 1: Absolutely didn't see.
Speaker 2: But the Broncos just think it's more up for grabs than we think.
Speaker 3: I just I just so you think someone from the bottom part can cause some damage and get through.
Speaker 2: Well, I just every everyone you go through, and obviously you want to finish in the top four, and they're the best chance. But they've got they've all feel like they've got to sleep up in the moment. There's no one that's really standing out for me that that's really taken the competition, you.
Speaker 1: Know what I mean, I feel like I feel it Tommy at the moment, the Wars to me over the last couple of weeks felt to me like they're the most Finals ready because I look at Penrith. I'm looking at Penrith unsure where they are, you know, and what's their head with Yale they've lost Jack now Jack Coogo for three weeks. The Roosters have always got one of those performances yesterday in them. But the Wars are just at the moment just so consistent, and they've been playing that final style football all year.
Speaker 3: You can almost predict the Warriors we'll get to a pre limb, whereas I had the Rooster's favorites before the drop of the Tigers like to be able to deliver a performance against the Panthers the week before. Then the Tigers there's just a big gap of what their best is and on prelim, final Day or Grand finally, you can't have that gap because you're just sitting there thinking hopefully the best performance is coming. But for me, Penrith and now, who have been the most consistent team for the three quarters of the season, now has some huge challenges both team injuries, suspensions. They're getting all the challenges at the wrong time of the year.
Speaker 1: Right we're talking about the injuries there for a second, can we just test on Jack Cogaban now three weeks the Wars. They keep losing playmakers. They just keep replacing because the strength of the system. But another loss dalling with teams. The Leslianx broke his collar bone. Chance he may be back, very strong chance he won't be. I mean, what do you think. I mean, he's so important on those on kick returns.
Speaker 2: It's so good. But it feels like anytime someone at the Warriors goes down, they just have someone there ready to take his place. The lost Roger earlier on in the year, and he thought that's going to be a big loss. And then cart Peer comes in like a hell of semus An ascent, like they've just got players there. They're just ready to go death.
Speaker 3: Cant Perreira came in, Clok Star tool Picky. There's enough there to come a weekend. And this is the one thing that we're talking about here is the Warriors system. Is there any other team in the competition that can lose three halfbacks and still score forty points? Right? There's argument around a system which is structured, and we say, oh, this is the way you have to play. Then there's this argument around give the halfback full control and let's just play what we see top thing, there's a couple of pieces of vision that the Warriors system is stronger than any other individual company. They play from the middle of the field most of the time, right, And it's pretty simple because you split the fullback to one side, you put the other five eight on one side, and the half back ends up playing both sides of the field. Coming from a fullbacks position here, so they roll the middle of the field and see all the spine members half back on in the middle of the field to a picky and a five eight on the other and then the half back Harris Tova swings left or swings right as the fullback. How do you defend against this, because this is what makes the Warrior's defense attack great.
Speaker 2: Well, the thing is you can't really If you set five on that shorter side, they're obviously going to go along. If you go six, they're going to go back to that shorter side. And what I like about it is you've got someone like Harris Vita who actually plays that left half. But then when needs you can just fall into that system so effortlessly and you. So here they use Aaron Clarke through the middle of the field to be that extra ball player and great that opportunity out of the back.
Speaker 3: And it's easy for a hearth. That's whether it's experience or inexperience. Knowing that your ball players and your ball runners are in exactly the right place at the right time, all you need to do is then make a smart decision. So some teams that are disconnected attack, don't have the people in the right places at the right time. The Warriors attack. Yes, it's system base, but I'll tell you what, when Harris Tavita or Tanner Boyd or anyone else goes the line, the backrier is senting me to perfect the fullback or the five at is where they need to be. And the past selection from Wade Egan and Aaron Clark is top shelf.
Speaker 1: Before we get Darren Clark and way just for one second and I'll show you that Chanelle Harris to Vedas try Fame Hungers passed on Aeron Mia and when I was watching them at the weekend, like Fords and Fords, we oftentimes talk about the beauty of a short pass and how clever it is, but what the Warrior is doing really well. It's it's the players who are hitting the gaps. And I was watching them, Tommy, they're sort of idl and half on an even playing and then chopping late. There's there's just a method and a lot of work done to everything they're doing. That's a no look past there. It's obviously something they're working just so hard.
Speaker 2: Only the said that the timing on leads is so important. But also you often talk about you want to start outside that defend your leader on and cut across him so they don't see where you're coming from. And that's a perfect example of it. He starts I think it's outside three minutes at Sullivan there and just cut cuts across him. He doesn't see that lead runner and opens that hole.
Speaker 3: Yeah, we talk about ball playing, about communication, money and get into your target defender. The Warriors do it better than most. I get to second defender off the ruck. That means the lead runners going inside Sullivan in this instance, and once you feel their space, the decision is pretty easy. Imagine if the lead runner was two meters back two meters forward, it just doesn't make it effective enough.
Speaker 1: And I think, Tommy, that's what helps the halves a lot. Is the two blakes we're just talking about, Wade Egan and Aaron Clark. The fact that they're so they play so square and they just drag you know, they dragged those defenders in that sweet that half around the back. It really makes their decision making a lot easier. Like you've watched, let's look at some Awad's work over the course of the weekend, and he's got the ability to get out of dummy half and still get himself square, like you know, going around the backyard. They obviously work a lot on there. You know he's doing they look past us, so he's got a very good understanding where his sweepmen are. But just I mean, that's why they're self ficked.
Speaker 2: He's so good. This is why they're so good at attacking inside ten meters. You see him get out here and just isolate defenders one on one and even if they do go out the back, you see that. I think it's Harris to ed out the back. He is able to play square on his man. You don't get anyone pressing him from the inside because you can hold the ball up for so long and it's created so much time for your helf.
Speaker 3: Yeah, you don't often teach the no look past. But the reason why it's effective close to the line is once you isolate a defender and just tell a lie with your hips, tell a lie with your eyes and he rocks out slightly. Fisher Harris is going to run straight over that purse. It doesn't matter who it is, right, So Wade Egan's got the craft to understand that I've just got an isolated Fish Harris one on one. Now I'm going to tell a bit of a lie with my eyes. He just leaned at the south defender. Just lean out slightly. He's playing lights out at the moment, Wade Egan. Aaron Clark has this for every rap we give isaiaho Let's start doing it with Aaron Clark.
Speaker 1: Let's have a look at all these touches out of the course of the weekend and coeps Tommy he's having a Dali m type seasons. Only the fact that there is a natural well, I use bias. There's a natural thought towards more of the spine players. But I'll tell you what. Like you know, the end of a game, sometimes who gets the three two one? Oftentimes they go to the playmakers more and whatever. But he is having a dally Worthy suason.
Speaker 2: Yeah. What I like about him is he does everything in one hundred miles an hour, like he's consistently and he's such a not only a bo playing threat, but he's built. He's a board running threat and that opens up opportunities for him and he's very important for their side.
Speaker 3: You talking, I think you're right man about the dally m. He could be a smoke. He's a top five finisher for me in the daim like Nathan Tedesco, you know Calen Trindle. They're probably the ones that he will pick it up. But Aaron Clark will be accumulating votes for a team that might win the minor premiership.
Speaker 1: That was just the first half Jeezy guests.
Speaker 3: So the best part about him is the balance between running and passing. He's a run first threat ball player. What I mean by that is most of the time he's running first and then the pass is a second, second option. So he's just he has come on leaps and bounds under Webster's tutelage like he's a damn good player.
Speaker 1: Love the way the thirteens evolved The thirteen for a long time Bradley Clyde might have been there where they went from being the sort of creative thirteen to more of a yardage thirteen, which sort Tellmalalo play thirteen. But I really like the way it's evolved now at thirteen. Probably Isaiah was the first one to sort of break that male Glenn Stewart.
Speaker 3: Put Yo Radley, Cam Murray, Eric Clark sits along that and now to the point, depending on the makeup of your team, that's part of your spine at thirteen is a part of the spine.
Speaker 2: Now what do they all need a pass? Now?
Speaker 1: Don't they do?
Speaker 3: Otherwise you can't do it like Isaiaho goes down Lindsay Smith.
Speaker 2: Now that you need you need someone to link, especially out of yard and going into good ball. You need someone to link your middles out to your ages and you need that pass opportunity because teams just don't. They just can press up and go after yourself.
Speaker 1: Tommy, like when like watching you play, you do a lot of your really good working around the ruck. Do you what do you prefer now? Do you like that sort of instinctive, reactive sort of play or do you like see sequence bace football.
Speaker 2: I'm probably more leaned towards sequence bace football. I just feel like it suits me a bit more. But in saying that, like it all depends on play the ball. So if you're developing rock speed and you know you're winning winning the ruck and winning to play the ball, then it's all better off and you're just on the back of that. But for me, I feel like, well, a sequence based team, we kind of like to get to certain spots to open up different shapes, and like.
Speaker 3: He sums up perfectly, the way that he plays right system is a fallback to something that you can have something to go to. But when he's playing the best football, they'll they'll move a play and have a sequence shift to left hand post. If he doesn't get the ball and see he's a fullback or a little nine stand under the post, he just goes from left to right, becomes first receiver.
Speaker 1: And runs over the top of him.
Speaker 3: That's the best balance of having a sequence to protect and then having instinct instinct players to take advantage of queues or weaknesses.
Speaker 1: So on that, like Jamal versus DCE, because DC looks to me like a playlight. Watching DC, you sometimes like he just take off down to two meters sideline, you know, and just play very much off his head. How different are he and Jamal to play alongside?
Speaker 2: Oh, they're very different. Jamal's probably say more level headed when I say that, like he's got one style. He wants to play very good kicking game and likes to build a game where chairs Is would agree more of an opportunitist. He would come up with things that you know you couldn't see before, but he would go for things as well. So I think I think Jamal keeps us as a more stable footy team, great kicking game, chess could do things that no one else called.
Speaker 3: And that's probably a little bit to explain the Roosters against the Tigers. Him and Sam Walker very free wheeling, very opportunistic, as we say, and when there's not something to fall back on, it gets a bit clunky. Like if you're not truly dialed in as an opportunistic half back or ballplayer and you don't see the things that you're meant to see, then you go, oh, we'll just pass it, and there's no real plan to go.
Speaker 2: Sometimes you probably need to take a step back and actually look and see what we're actually trying to do. Because like they often talk about, like you don't want to, like you can't try and score on every play like you need it. You need to. That's why the Worries is so good. They break you down, they hit leads and they find a mismatch and they take it. You've got to build a game.
Speaker 1: Yeah, on that yesterday Broyce, we're just talking about doc insane and like when the competition is about timing, you've got to be playing your best football at the right time. Roosters gone through a really big six weeks. They've been up in the last couple of weeks and yesterday you just had that sense I'm going to be vulnerable against the side who's had a whorel back end of the year, the Tigers for the enigmatic, they can you know, when they're in the mood, they can turn.
Speaker 2: It on it.
Speaker 1: What do you think about that? Yes that lost yesterday? Is it one? If you're a Rooster's fan, I don't worry about It's just a minus slab. But there was no teddy or more of a concern. What do you think.
Speaker 2: I'd like to think it's a month they were playing some unbelievable footies. I know they'll be disappointed, but I do you'd like to think it's a mind sleep up.
Speaker 3: Look, look, I don't think there was too many people that thought the Tigers would actually win that, but if there was any, it would because the Roosters would not be to the game as opposed to the Tigers playing out of the skin. Look, in the years that you win a premiership, there's no doubt that you have slip ups along the way. I've been a part of teams that you end up winning, but in around twenty three twenty four, you've just dropped the game that you should not and you've played really bad. Where the Rooster is going to be premiers, going to win fifteen in a row, Probably not right. So is this the game that had to slip up? Maybe? I think Trent Robinson's probably saying I'm hoping so. Because their best performance was arguably against Penrith the Wicker go Yeah, then that their worst performance against the Tigers seven days later. There's something in there that says their best is really good. They're bad as well.
Speaker 1: They've done it before under Robert of the year they won in twenty thirteen Robbos first year, the last or round round twenty five they played the Titans at home. Mate, the Titans in this game were twelve dollars to boat them and roll them on the day, so they've got form. But it does happen. Sometimes you'd be looking over your opposition shoulder and and just get you get paced. The Big Dave, Big Dave Taylor in the past.
Speaker 2: Never stopped talking about the Titans.
Speaker 1: Or you just listen more often, Tommy, this is Titans TV. Come on anyway, we look forward to getting here with November one.
Speaker 2: So you can't afford him, mate, Protex.
Speaker 1: Absolutely you'll get your tax free Southeast Queensland tax free money. I think you're went a stage of Pali shape. She's not.
Speaker 3: A real Queensland.
Speaker 1: Dolphins mate. Like we always talk here Tommy about Isaiah Catar all the time and his ability to play slow, play fast, tell Live with the football. But yeah, you got him. You've got Max Plath, Kurt Dona who's out injured at the moment. But that back five mate, at the Dolphins, they're under legable.
Speaker 2: Watch they can just break tackles that will can't know. They're just so hard to contain. So you got Herbie and Cobbo out in that left edge, and then Bostock and Saka out in the right edge, and then Hamma just you know, links in the middle of them and such a good So when they're when they're playing their style of footy, I don't know if you can beat them. When when Kaitos going to the line, you got Nick Arema, who's just a footy player on the back of it, and they just they just most.
Speaker 3: Most teams get confidence from your defense, right, Like you think about the amount of teams that stop the opposition from scoring in the first ten or twelve minutes. Then they go down the other end score and they run away with the right. I think the Dolphins are the opposite. I think the Dolphins get confidence from their attack. I think if you're going to beat the Dolphins, I think you're gonna have the best defensive performance.
Speaker 1: Tommy, we had a few others here, but I thought, mate, while we got yeah, just a few questions, good, that's made this is sweet. This is this is not okay, But like, who are your competition favorites At.
Speaker 2: The moment, I want to go to worry if Yeah, I just really like what they're doing.
Speaker 1: That feels like a destiny, feel a bit.
Speaker 3: The roosters last week, but she's lost some weekends. Hard to do, but I'm staying with them.
Speaker 2: Dark horse, dark horse. I'm going to go to Sharks. Yeah. I just think Trindle when he comes back, yep, like he's their most important player.
Speaker 1: He's had the better season to Desco or Calm Ponger.
Speaker 2: Well, they've been the two best. I think I think Tesco just slightly. I just think what he does with that team, and because he does it every week and he's done it for so many years that we just expect it from him. But I just love what he does. But Klein, I think they're playing a style now that really suits him. They like to move the ball and him out the back of Shaw. I don't think there's more dangerous.
Speaker 1: Yeah. I thought last year the way they evolved little bit the Knights I played a little bit too much half field football, which was saying it suits the Warriors, but not so much in Newcastle a little better than they opened the field up. What about you know we talked about the Knights and Justin Holbrook Andrew Webster. I would he think Webster or Wholebrook who's had the better coach in season?
Speaker 3: I'm going Webster, the growth in the Newcastle Knights is undoubted. Wouldn't spoon to finals. But I don't think Newcastle can do anything in the finals. They might win Week one, but they win two. I think the Warriors are a dead set Premiership chance.
Speaker 1: Yeah, you know Andrew Webster, like I wrote about him on the weekend, I do a bit of research on what he did. It just says a lot. I mean we're in an age at the moment where people want to get into coaching straight away, jump at a job. And his first first coaching job was in two thousand and five captain coach of the Connecticut Wildcats in the American League. Took him all the way to the ground, finally got beat by the Austin Balls. Neither club are going to be the twentieth term of the NRL. But then he's jumped from coaching Stue Ball juniors did one year a paramount of purely his work experience, and it's just taken a bit by bit by bit to get where he's at.
Speaker 3: I don't think this comes into Coach of the Year, but it's got a big part to do with Webster is the Warriors. Jersey is as powerful and as inspiring as it's ever been before. The Warriors Nation love it like they it'll be dead set the best ticket in town for their finals when they get home. And he's got a bit to do with that because of the way they're playing, and they've galvanized that country with supporter based like not too many others. So he's got the Warriors the part of his hand webster.
Speaker 1: Last one boy's Joey Marner double O seven.
Speaker 3: To he's playing half back?
Speaker 1: Well, that's the thing is everyone was waiting for it. What's double O seven going to be? And I see they put the silhouette out and the silhouette had a rather large cheating. Everyone's going, you say, Joey's got a large No, no, no, no, another good pickup.
Speaker 2: Where do you think they're all going to play? Is Joey Many going to play full back?
Speaker 3: Is he?
Speaker 1: Well?
Speaker 3: I think like if when Joey Marney was at the peak of his powers in nineteen twenty and you're starting a new franchise, didn't he easy, Tommy easy? He's playing fullback right, but since being rugby, I think he goes back to center position like he's you've played the center position the ability off him have beat someone on the inside the flick pass like outside. I think at that age and the way that he's been taking his rugby career, I think he plays center. But I'll tell you what, you damn good pickup for someone to get him.
Speaker 1: That's tax three dollars in handy, aren't they. I mean he's doing a great job, but he's got the boat out of seeing the fisher diving into the boat, just trying to work out the John West.
Speaker 3: Now the titan's going to fight that man. How the Titan's going to fight. But you've got him coming off contract.
Speaker 1: Finally we'll find a way.
Speaker 2: It's a couple of Cholori boys doing a birth up.
Speaker 3: That's all we're doing.
Speaker 1: That's all we're doing. We're lesson out there for kids. You know, work hard at school, We good to your parents, eat the right stuff, and you could be a million tom sleep on before we did the show, mate, Yes, exactly, sleep on the couch at home of late anyway, that's what happens, Tommy.
Speaker 2: I said she was in China.
Speaker 1: She was she's back. Okay, yep, yep, Tommy, good one. I appreciate you coming in, mate, Thank you and good luck for the rest of the year.
Speaker 2: Appreciate that you'll see you in the finals. Sound good to see that