Speaker 1: I'll get a you bloody Champions. It's Fatty Harps. Well, one time, Fatty Harps. Now I'm hard as a fucking cat's head. Let's be honest. It's the you project. It's the You project. And one of my old workmates, colleagues friends has joined us because he's straight up smarty pants and why the fuck not? Peri an archis goody Champ, welcome back?
Speaker 2: Do I call it now? Doctor Craig Harper? Is that happened as yet? Always just like good old Craigo. How are you?
Speaker 1: No, it's still dumbass. You can still call me and then maybe by the end of the year a bit earlier you can call me doctor dumbas. We'll see how we go. There's a lot of variables. And for anyone out there thinking about doing a PhD, don't you know just a little bit from No, I'm kidding, it's definitely definitely worth it, but probably don't, probably don't have the workload that I do, and then do that as well. That that would just be my one little asterisk, my little disclaim, my little proviso. Now you live up on the Sunshine Coast, I'm getting that right.
Speaker 2: I don't know it's true shine lovely long boulevard.
Speaker 1: Yeah, have you been blown away? Are you still? Did your house get thrown into the ocean? You all right? Well, it's been a fucking mayhem up there.
Speaker 3: It certainly has.
Speaker 2: Look I had to tie myself down to the roof at one stage and you know, wave out to the helicopters to see how that would go, and saw me and just went right past. So like, but there's that bald Greek guy in the lalla let him go. But yeah, we got hit with a lot of rain and a lot of flood waters and stuff like that. Luckily enough it went a little bit south from us, so we didn't get the massive deluge that Gold Coast were the overre wiped out, lost bitches, lost, little dogs, lost, everything was pretty bad. So yeah, I'm still here. I'm still waving and lots of green grass. I just had a tree that blew down in front of my place and that's about it, so very very lucky.
Speaker 1: Well, I'm glad you're all right, mate, because I was thinking about you, and I've got a bunch of friends who live up in Queensland and fortunately everyone is all right. But it's all our Queensland listeners and you're going through it again because today we're not the same. But it's like it's a big You were meant to go to somewhere today and have an event but it got rained out. Am I right?
Speaker 3: That's correct?
Speaker 2: Also going to be hitting down to Brisbane, but the roads except a little bit washed out and the event got moved on an indoor event. But the problem would have been from getting from the car park to the event without getting my hairwet, so that would have been the big issue. And then if you look out on the map up Noosa, they're flooded out where the NUSA and North Shore Ferry is where you get across on the Double Island point that's completely flooded. And were there complete deluge at the moment they've got you're not, Honestly, They've got helicopters getting people out and putting them on top of the old Quilpy Pub, which is going to be some legendary pubub that way. So yeah, it's a bit scary, Craig. I'm auldering a bit up here getting the suntan and roll around the beach and kicking stand on my own face and it's not really happening at the moment.
Speaker 1: Well, and of course he's being facetious everyone because he's bald as fuck. He does he probably has four hairs on his whole body. I think they're on his left shoulder. But anyway, so here's what happened, and this is how we ended up doing this. So we have a thing called do You Project Podcast Group on Facebook, which you listener are more than welcome to join. There's no hooks, catches, agendas. It's just a group where we get together and chat and hang out and we get a lot of people who are like minded, who talk about the shows, talk about particular topics and subjects, and every now and then, in fact more often now these days, are asking a question. So a lady Carroll Caroline who here we go. Sorry, I should have been more organized. So Caroline Webbin, who is a friend, big friend of the show. When I went to New Zealand and did some work for her, she ran a public workshop. I went over there and it was awesome. Actually we had a lot of fun. But anyway, Carolyn is a trainer. She was a I was going to say late started, kind of late starter, I guess compared some started in her maybe late forties, and now she's in her early fifties. I think, Carolyn, if I'm fucking this up, sorry, but is n I think she's like fifty one, two or three and very strong, very fit in factors. Now she's gone from not doing anything like the kind of training she does now, never having really done it in her life, not in the way she does it now, and she's now a multi time national record holder in powerlifting Pezzant. Yeah, so she's doing she's a fucking weapon anyway. But she's also training people, and so she's usd a couple of hypotheticals now. So Perry and I are going to we're going to unpack this stuff. Now. What we're not doing. Just be clear. My lawyer has been on the phone. No, I don't even have one. What we're yes, I do. We're not giving personal advice, we're not giving medical recommendations. We're not telling you to do anything or not do anything. That's really up to you. But what we're doing is sharing thoughts and ideas and information and a bit of science around the questions and topics, and then you either by yourself or with a bit of your own research, or perhaps with a medical or fitness professional. You will if it's relevant, you'll go and make a decision and operationalize something and see what the result is. And I know that sounds kind of fucking double dutch and evasive, but one, it would be completely unprofessional and irresponsible for either of us to tell you what to do, never having met you, never having assessed you. So we won't be doing that. But what we're going to do is talk about these things and I think that will give some clarity. Is that all right with you, Pezza?
Speaker 3: It sounds great.
Speaker 2: I mean, PEMA need to realize that we've got decades of experience in this area, and that's why we know that we can't just go here we go, this is what we recommend everyone should do this.
Speaker 3: It's just not going to happen that way.
Speaker 2: It needs to be a personal, one on one assessment and decide what protocols are then best suited for that person. And then we all can do is suggest these protocols and from there they can decide what they'd like to do.
Speaker 1: Perfect right person one Judy and now I don't know if Judy's not real. Caroline suggests she's not. Judy trains six days a week, but probably quite representative of some people. Judy trains six days a week. She runs, she jumps, She does CrossFit hydrox type of training, which is that very much intervally body weighty and a lot of other lifting shit and running and jumping. She does's loads of burpies. She's fast. She also lifts heavy in the gym. But Judy isn't making any progress or getting any stronger. Waits remain the same. She lifts about three times a week, normally after a run or CrossFit session. She intimately fast aka missus breakfast and trains in the morning. So I'm assuming if she says she intermittent fast, does she mean she does that intimittently or every day she's doing I assume she's saying every day she misses breakfast and trains in the morning. Can we explain scientifically why Judy isn't getting any stronger or building muscle? Right, I'm going to kick off, and then I'm going to talk a bit about training and broad stuff, and then pez you talk about nutrition and whatever you want. But what I'm going to say is, with people like Judy or anyone like this, you've got to realize that there's a couple of important factors. One is that everybody's body responds differently, even to the same stimuli. So if we had Judy and jan and Joan and they're all about the same and they all did the same training and ate the same food and lifted the same weights, and had the same amount of sleep, and lived the same lifestyle and had a similar mindset and all of those things, we'd still get different outcomes because genetically they're not the same, and physiologically everybody responds either a little bit differently or a lot differently, depending on a myriad of variables. So it's impossible to say the reason that she's not progressing is this. But when we factor in so sleep, we factor in stress, Perry, you can talk about food in a moment, of course broadly. Then we talk about exercise, the type of exercise, sets, reps, volume, intensity, workload. Then we talk about not only recovery between sets and efforts, but also recovery period, how much recovery, how many days off, and not only how much sleep, but the quality of the sleep. So the age of the person chronologically but also the age of the person biologically. So, Perry, are you sixty two now or one?
Speaker 3: What are you sixty one? Kragie will be sixty two in June, So you.
Speaker 1: And I are both sixty one, And without trying to sound like two dickheads, neither of us are biologically sixty one, not because we're special or better, but because we do certain things that create a lower biological age than chronological age I would suggest for both of us. Right, So all of these things, and I don't say this to confuse everyone, I just want you to get that it's not just that's so simple as oh, it's because she's not eating enough protein, or it's because she should train in the RVO, or it's because she's not eating breakfast, or it's because it's probably not one thing. It's probably a combination of things. And I'll shut up after this. So I think, irrespective of all of the questions that we're going to answer today, I think what is really important is that people start a process where they're trying to identify the different things that impact their body and the way that those different things or stimuli impact their body personally. Like I can tell you what is the best sleep protocol for me, the best eating protocol, the best training, the best recovery, and not because I'm an excise scientist, but because I've paid attention for a long time to what my body does when I do certain things to it. And not only have I done that you know recently, but my whole lifespan and over your lifespan, which would be the same for Perry and me and every listener. The thing that worked for you when you're thirty won't work for you when you're fifty or not in exactly the same way, because you're not living in the same body. In inverted commas, it'll be similar but somewhat different. So pairs, before I throw to you, I'm just going to say that question just again, as much for our listeners as you. She trains six days a week. She runs, jumps, does CrossFit, hydrocks loads of burpies. She's fast. She lifts heavy, but she isn't making any progress. Weights are not going up. She lifts three times a week, normally after a run acrossfit. She doesn't eat breakfast. She trains in the morning.
Speaker 2: What are your thoughts, Well, it's a very interesting concept here because of the fact we're assuming a lot of things that you know. While she's missing breakfast, is she's getting enough food? And you've made a valid point that it's not a simple answer as all, let's get some breakfast in and see what happens before she trains. If the process is going to be a multi factful thing, and we need to look at another of thing's number one the overall food content. If we're just looking at it from a nutritional point of view, how much food is she eating for the whole day, So how many carbs, fats and protein. You know, a lot of people demonize carver hydrates, and especially when people get a little bit older, they think I'm going to cut carbs out so I can stay lean, et cetera. But we know the carver hydrates are a main fuel source. So how many cubs you're having? When is she having carbohydrates? Is she having carbohydros while she's training egen a glucose strength with let's say electrolytes in there. Is she using any form of stimulants like caffeine before the workout. There's a number of things that can actually cause this because we might get a people get a crash. I know with people that in a minute fast and that train in the morning very early, when we've just included a banana before they train, just a simple banana, which is twenty grams of carbohydrates. That always find their performance increases every time. There's no spots of amies. And there's a number of reasons. One in a banana and one banana there's a lot of potassium, which is great for the satin potassium pump with the muscle, so it makes the muscle work more effectively. And secondly, we're getting twenty to twenty two grams for every one hundred pms of banana. So therefore, if they're going to have that extra carbohydrate source, it's going to pick them up.
Speaker 3: They're going to work better.
Speaker 2: And because she's saying she's not improving and she's doing the same thing over and over, she needs to try something different to get a different risk. And the first focus is improving the strength. The only thing that can relate to that will improve a strength is increasing carbo hydrates and especially whilst he's training. I always recommend all my clients that are, you know, let's say in the athletic field, to always have a carbo hydro drink while they're training, and it can be anything up to sixty or eighty grams of carbo hydrates depending on the intensity and the duration of their exercise program.
Speaker 1: So yeah, I love it. I love it. And also when you like you were intimating and cut me off whenever you need to. But you know, like the total, if somebody's expending more calories than they're taking in, it's going to be hard to have energy in the morning or vice versa. You know, if there are a thousand calories too much every day, well they're going to gain weight. I know there are a lot of other variables and a myriad of factors, and something that I didn't mention at the start was also apart from genetic variability, which I did mention, but also endocrime system. It's like, well where is this? You know, how old have we got age here? No? So I mean is Judy thirty? Is Judy perrymenopausal? Is she menopausal? Is she young? Fit? Healthy? Is she like? Is she was she a bigger kid when she was Does she have weight issues when she was young? I mean, you know the thing is sometimes you know, and I know it's like even from a dude's point of view, So let's talk about blokes for a minute. If I did everything right, but my testosterone was through the floor. I'm not building muscle.
Speaker 3: You've got to struggle.
Speaker 2: You're actually going to struggle, and you're going to be psychologically planning as small as you know yourself. On disosteroid levels, we have like a lot of depressive sort of feelings, which we call it manipause. Right, you'll feel flat, so you can train like an animal. You're going to get nowhere.
Speaker 1: It's like, and that's the thing. It's like, you know, like she might have Judy might have a thyroid that's not worth king grat she might be lacking vitamin B, she might be you know, there's a bunch of things I think. I think. I think one of the things that we can do is Okay, so whatever Dudy's currently doing, because she's obviously doing, whether or not Judy is real or hypothetical, it doesn't matter, right, because the principles are the same. Here's my advice, Judy and all the duties out there. Do not change fifteen fucking things at once. The problem with that is one completely unscientific. Two, you've got no idea what any of those fifteen factors or variables are doing. You go, wow, I feel amazing. But you don't know which of those things, if any, are making you feel amazing. And so, like Perry suggested, maybe a starting point. And again this is a maybe, this is a hypothetical, as go, we'll do exactly what you're doing, but throwing a banana before you train, bibbody, Bobby boo. Don't do it once and say it didn't work. Do it maybe ten or twelve days, or fifteen days or seven days, and see how you train, how you recover, how your energy is and you might find there's a bit of an improvement, a lot of improvement, or no improvement. But either way, what you're doing is you're running your own N equals one experiment. You know N equals one. You are the research, you are the researcher, and you're the participant in your own study. And so this is we don't need to be a scientist. Perry's got a master's in nutrition. You don't need a masters are great, by the way, and he's a smarty pants, but you don't need that to go. Fuck, how is my body responding when I change this variable? Because your body is the ultimate teacher. It is always telling you something and it is your job to listen up, Pezz you finish up, and then we're going to move on to the next question.
Speaker 2: Okay, one of the biggest things that we need to do, I think in this situation is going one step back and as actually go you know what, Judy, go get some blood test done. Let's have a look under the bonnet and see what's going on. Let's assess you completely. Let's look at your foundation and we'll see what A plus B of what you're doing. So as your training, bees your lifestyle, let's see what the outcome is. And let's little bit that blueprint, which is your blood works to give us a better analytical report on what's happening. And you hit it greatly, Craig when you said, well, what's a hormone system doing, you know, high low, whatever on proges to stosterone issue, and what's going on with the body, what's happening with the vitamin B twelve, what's happening with vitamin D, which we know is now a hormone regulated within the female body. So let's rape under the bonnet and see what goes on.
Speaker 1: Yeah, exactly, all right, good work, you, good work me. I think let's go to let's go to question two, and this is still from Caroline. Question two is about Dave. I feel like Dave is not real too, but that's okay. There's heaps of Daves and Craigs and peries and duties in the world. Dave's overweight, probably about thirty kilos. He exercises each weeak with a mixture of cardio and waits two to three times and weights and weights two to three times. All right, so I feel like he does waights two to three times and cardio on top of that. It's about thirty kilos overweight. Firstly, and this is I'm not trying to be pedantic, but weight at the very best weight. It is an indicator, or it can be an indicator. But you also need to remember that when we go purely by weight, there's a lot of things we're not factoring in, you know, bone density, muscle mass, genetic variability. And so somebody like me who's I'm leaned, like I'm probably ten percent body fat or less. I'm lean and I'm eighty maybe eighty five kilos. And if you if you do the old BMI, you do the height weight THINGO on me one seventy eight centimeters eighty five kilos. I think you find out that my body, my BMI is about twenty seven even as Perry well knows and some of our listeners well know, that puts me pretty much in the middle of the overweight group right now, Clearly I'm not overweight, and clearly I'm not obese, and clearly I'm not carrying excess fat. The reason I'm saying this is because using certain I guess protocols to go, oh, this person's good or this person's bad, or this person's in the zone or out of the zone. They're target, they're on target, they're off target. Weight does matter, but it doesn't matter as much as people think. What probably matters in my opinion. Pery will agree or disagree, but is more body composition. So what your body fucking made up of? Like you could be by the way, I could be one hundred kilos and leaner that I am now at the same height, and I'm still not you know, fat, per se. But then if I was one hundred kilos and still lean lots of muscle, I'd be classified as obese. Right, So we need to just keep all of these things in mind. Now, the next part of this question is he's starting on ozepic. Okay, we've spoken about a zepic. In fact, we did a whole episode with it on IT with David Gillespie and again, by no means did we cover all of it. He's starting on ozepic to assist his weight loss. What's your thoughts on Dave's situation, long term weight loss goals and going down this path? Mate? Do you want to start with that?
Speaker 3: Yeah, I'll jump in on that one.
Speaker 2: As someone I have pickle maud, but I'm also on the credited diabetes educator and we did a lot of stuff on WAT start as GLP one antagonist, so it gets everything the ball rolling. So I've had clients that have come and spoke to me about taking a zempic and a few have taken it. My biggest concern is always been the side effects from azempic, so I will sit down and explain the negws before let's look at the positive and with something like a zenpic.
Speaker 3: What we were taught at.
Speaker 2: University was simple that it's a transitional thing that will put someone on a zempic to help regulate the weight and as the weight comes down, we try and educate them on lifestyle, lifestyle changes, et cetera. The fact that he's actually training and doing stuff and went, right, I've had enough. I want to lose some weight because theoretically we're assuming that he's thirty kilos overweight, that it's an unhealthy weight to be at this progression. To do something to strike, let's say, speed up the process is I believe, a fantastic thing to do it, as long as it's aware of the side effects. The issue with this can be and there's been this big speculation I was going to lose a lot of muscle, et cetera. Some studies have now been coming out, more so because of the fact so many people are on a zenpic that we're finding that the amount of muscle that people would lose in comparison to someone that goes into a very strict diet is very similar. And that's been a very big eye opener for me. We've just gone, well, that's interesting because we've been going, hey, wait on zempic's going to strip away the muscle. When we go off a xempic, we're going to put on weight. And it's the same with a diet. If someone's been on a diet and they've done it specifically to lose weight, and that's all they're worried about and nothing else. When they stop that diet and they go back to eating the same way, it becomes an issue.
Speaker 3: They're going to put the weight back on.
Speaker 2: So for this guy here, I would say, yep, ZAMPI great, this is your last point of call. You want to give it a shot to get the ball rolling, but continue having education in the matter. Have someone support you with nutritional advice. Have someone will with your overall lifestyle to assist you and guide you so that you can actually maintain the weight loss and do it healthily, and then slowly come off a zempic to keep going. One of the ladies I'm actually helping at the moment that's through Facebook, that's contacting me. She's no complaining of massive amount of hair loss. We're talking clumps of hair. And I'm like, well, yeah, you're doctor, so it's not even an endocronologist. A doctor who put on there has put on two big a dose And I'm like, this is not good man.
Speaker 3: This is another thing.
Speaker 2: And then how's your digestion going? Can you've got to the toilet comfortably? I haven't for five days.
Speaker 1: Fuck yeah, really yeah, And this is where.
Speaker 2: A destradition coming on. You know, there's a severe side effects with the zempic and people don't realize, so, especially when it's been prescribed for someone that's not a diabetes educator or someone that's well known in the field to deal with diabetes that can prescribe a zempic as a weight loss helper. That's what we're trying to look at. So you know, this situation as long as it's all been monitored to govern, and we know it's short term, not long term, but short term to help him drop some weight. So you know, psychologically, imagine if he dropped ten kills him feel amazing. That would be to keep going and then he can throw the exempic the way and he can keep going and keep going, getting the training, eating well, having nutritionness or a dietitian, have an exercise physiologist or a personal trainer to keep him on track. And if he's got someone to be accountable to, let's say every week he's got to report into someone to check his weight to check he'll get amazing results. And if give him that boost, I'm all for it. But where are the side effects?
Speaker 1: Yeah? Yeah. Look, I think it's just going in with your eyes open. I'll be honest. Until recently I was absolutely fucking not no way ever, right, and then I jetted with David Gillespie. He enlightened me a little bit. You're enlightening me a little bit. But I think you and I are in the same space. I think, like my answer is, it depends again, it depends. Here's my thing. I think we need to not only you know, the nausea, the constipation, the vomiting, the diarrhea, the bloating, the stomach pain, the fucking hair loss, the heartburn, the burping, yes I'm reading a list, the fatigue, the low energy, the appetite suppression.
Speaker 3: All of those.
Speaker 1: Yeah, all of those myriad of potential side effects. Right, Not only that the physiological stuff, but also I think we need to we need to be mindful that people can create psychological and emotional dependencies on drugs that aren't naturally physical logically addictive, you know, like heroin addictive, you know, crack addictive, but they're more physical. There's a physiological addiction, you know, OxyContin all of those things people get physically addicted to, But there are other things that are not physically addictive per se. But what happens is the person now starts to believe I can only lose weight when I'm on this drug. I can only stay lean when I'm on this drug. If I and this is the story, if I go off this drug, I'm going to get fat again. So I can't go off this drug again. Now I think that variable. Yeah, we're talking about You were talking about potential physiological problems, which are very real, and I think they're the biggest issue, but I think a close second to all of these things. You know, It's like you and I have witnessed people over the years, Perry. We're not going to mention any names that have taken certain other drugs to make their bodies look certain ways, and they go, I'm just going to do a bit of something, and then ten years down the track, they're still doing the something and they have to take you know, it's like because there's that same thing, It's like, oh, well, if I stop, then I won't look amazing anymore. I won't be big anymore, or you know, in the case of ozenbic, I won't be lean, or I won't be light anymore, because I can't do it. Clearly, I can't do it because I would have done it, but now I've done it with Ozenbic. So I just think that we need to be mindful of one all the physical stuff, but also go into the process knowing, knowing absolutely this is a short term thing.
Speaker 2: Yeah, you know what I've found Craig too. These people that sort of wire on this so much have created narratives. They'll learn a little narrative about saying, I've tried every diet, I've tried every this, I've tried every exercise program, I've had fifteen trainers. And when we look at it, we go, wait on, if that's the case, if you've tried it, why you're not sticking to why you're not working on a prov that we know one hundred and ten percent will work, will help you, will assist you in some form or fashion. So this narrative they've gone off created nothing works. Nothing works, nothing work, Wait on a zepic works. I've injected myself. Look, I'm on five hundred calories a day, I'm losing weight. And that's where they create this association. And like you're saying, they feel that when they come off it, they're going to put on light, and you know what, if they do put on a little bit of what, it's not a problem because you needed a little bit more than five hundred calories and the body physiologically is going to start responding and working effectively and do what it was designed to do.
Speaker 1: Yeah, alrighty, So the next question is from Janet Allen. So Janette or yeah it's Janet. Janet shout out to you. Janet. It's not so much a question, but she wants us to talk. He's literally what she wrote, can't wait for this one anything to do with postmenopause. So let's let's talk about some of And again this is two blokes who are probably not the most qualified people in the world, but both well, I have, and I'm sure you have, a significant percentage of the women that I train. Most of my clients for over thirty years were women, like about seventy percent, and quite a percentage of them were either postmenopause or mid menopause perimenopause. You know. It's like, so, I've had a lot of these conversations. I'm not the world authority on it, but I understand psychological, emotional, and practical realities, not from first hand experience, but from working with people who are going through it. So what happens. Let's just talk about what happens firstly, typically, so at menopause, So bone density now we're talking about if there's no intervention, So if nature just takes its course, so to speak, generally, bone density goes down. Quite often we see postural problems just because own density and a whole bunch of other things. So people can start to postmenopause get a little bit kiphotic. That's that kind of round the back, forward, hunchy shoulders, not always time sometimes not always. Sometimes muscle mass drops off, it starts to accelerate around give or take fifty. That's very general. Metabolism can often slow cardiovascually, we tend to go downhill a little bit and cardiovascular risk goes up. Fat distribution can change, so belly fat can start to accumulate a lot more than it did before menopause. Cognitive function can slide a little bit. By the way, all of this or a version of this, happens with men as well. Mood, emotions, sleep gets impacted, and I think again, I think the thing is too like when this phase of life happens. As Perry was talking before, he calls it manopause, which is the kind of fun name, which is true, It's called Andrew pause. It's the same. It's the boy version of what happens with girls and same with guys. Cognition, bone density, muscle mass, you know, sex drive goes through the floor for men. You know, there's a whole bunch of things, right, But I think it's trying to figure out how do I work with this new reality, how do I work with this new physiological shift. So I don't know how you are in this space. And by the way, Perry and I have not prepped at all. We haven't spoken about any of this. So I'm going to start with exercise. And then also, by the way, Perry has been is one of Australia's most experienced trainers. So he's a trainer and a you know, a master in nutrition. But so I believe that people who are post menopausals should be lifting weights. Absolutely. I think you should be training two to four times a week. Whatever you do, whether it's body weight, whether it's pinloaded, whether it's hydraulic, whether it's free weights, dumbbells, kettlebells, bar bells. It's all way better than doing fucking nothing, right, Pilarates reformer pilarates, it's all good anything where you are putting your muscles under load, where you are stressing your muscles, ligaments, tendons, attachments, bones, skeleton, and you are doing what I'm about to say is paramount, and you are doing it in a progressive way. Right, you're doing it progressively. You're using big muscle groups. If you can, you prioritize compound movements. You know Scott's dead lifts, push ups, things, we're using two or more joints and muscles. Don't be afraid of intensity, but also be be wise. Like intensity is relative to the individual. So I would say Perry is stronger than me, So Peri's Peri's are five out of ten, might be my seven, right, because there's no generic we're not comparing ourselves to a generic kind of intensity scale. So what I'm doing something, I'm doing X exercise at X pounds for X reps, and me I'm working at seven out of ten. Perry comes along, does the same thing, and he's working out at five out of ten because he's stronger, he's got more muscle. Right, So but what we're trying to do is we're trying to understand what is intensity for me. So once we've got good technique, once we've got a little bit of a training base, we're doing the right thing the right way. Hopefully we've got some guidance, but we are trying to work at a level where our body has got to adapt. And I've spoken probably thirty times on this show over the last seven years about a thing called sarcopenia, which are just muscle wasting. And it can be muscle wasting when people get injured, it can be muscle wasting in the elderly. It can be muscle wasting if we've got some kind of a disease. But mostly the term sarcoprenia is used in relation to people who are kind of post fifty, post sixty. It was my major project when I did my first degree at university. And yeah, it's it's reversible. It's reversible, Like that's the fucking great thing. It's not. It's really just a byproduct. Now this is not science, this is me. But my guess is that sycoprenia, especially when it's significant, is ten fifteen percent genetics and eighty five ninety percent us, so, which is why you can get someone I'm not going to talk about me because that's self indulgent and egotistical. But someone like Perry who's sixty one and got heaps of fucking muscle and strong because he's never stopped training, because he eats great and he does everything. So here's a sixty one year old walking around in a forty year old body, so to speak. So exercise is paramount for people who are postmenopausal, and on top of the right intensity, we need absolute consistency. Now that doesn't mean seven days a week. It might be three days a week, but three days a week every week. Steps down off soapbox. There's a lot more to it than that. But that's I'm opening the door, Pezza. If you want to talk about food and or lifestyle and or other stuff, we'll just see where we go.
Speaker 2: Yeah, beautiful, little Craigi. Soccopenia is a big area for me as well. It's one of the major papers that are writ about four or five papers on cycopenia. So definitely understand and agree with you one hundred and ten percent where you're coming from. What we need to realize is that from the age of forty five and onwards. The ability for the body to absorb protein at the same levels as what we did when we're in our twenties starting diminish. And that's why sycopinia is one of the reasons why cycopenia comes across. Now with some menopause of women peri post et cetera. What we're finding is is that they do need to maintain a good source of protein, and usually an animal protein source, because we're looking into the mino acid blue seam which stimulates without getting too technical here the m top pathway, which maintains and creates muscle hypergaphy for people. So when women have gone through menopause, one of the things I like to look at is one what protein are having, the timing of their protein, and then more importantly some other food groups. And because we know that their hormones are changing and theoretically we've looked at their blood works beforehand, we start looking at foods that are, let's say, fight are estrogen based, so we look at legumes for example, so we know like chickpeas and lentils and stuff like that, which will help mimic the effect and modulate the receptors of all the estrogen receptors in the body to help women. Let's leave out some of the symptoms that they've got there the other things. I mean, red wine, there's a good flood estrogen for women as well. If they want to have a glass and wine, it might help them out at as well too, might take the edge off. But the training very important. There's an amazing nutritionness in America that I follow a fair whack and his name's Alan Allergron, and he does a lot on women's menopause, will behavior patterns and also doing a lot of research to see what's going on. And the key factor is that he's found is that women must wait train Like you were saying, they must wait train in some way, so there's some sort of resistance training. Two, their program intake must be up high. And three they've got to keep good fats in their body like olive oils, etc. To keep their body functioning effectively. And what he's found is that when women follow these protocols, the effects and side effects of any form of perry post or any form of menopause is actually diminished. And the interesting thing is the amount of body fat that goes onto these women is very Really, it's negligible. It doesn't increase that much. But when he finds out with women when they're gone through menopause and it's a psychological factor where they start to feel depressed and they're getting the whole flushes, then they don't move as much, then they won't eat as much, they start to lose their appetite. We start to gun this down with spiral and they have to try and fight that, try and resist that feeling and go, you know what, I need to eat right now. I can't not eat for twenty four hours, and I'll skip today and I'll just stay in bed, and I'll become less active. Because the old story, you don't use it, you lose it. And if women are losing muscle and they're losing butt density, it really becomes a big issue. And we know that with women you hit it on the ball. There menutes from forty five and onwards, women from fifty to fifty five and onwards, calcium really starts to diminish. So vitamin D, vitamin K two, and calcium are three areas that are really important. And we do understand that vitamin D is a hormone. It's not just a vitamin and it has so many other impacts within the human body itself. So there's some of my recommendations. The other one would be creatine as well as a supplement. And we're trying to try and drift off too much here, but that's really important and women need to understand that the muscle is not just a muscle, it's actually a hormone producer, produces my kindes and they're the good feel hormones and makes the body work effectively. So you know the important factors of maintaining muscle mass, bone density and being active and eating well and trying to get through these areas will now help minimize the side effects of going through metopause.
Speaker 1: I love it all right, don't want to ask you a couple of things. Well, firstly, I want to say one thing, creatine I didn't even think of, but I'm on board with Pezza. There's I mean, it's the most researched supplement in the world, but there's really solid evidence now to say that creatine is Obviously we know it can be good for training and strength and recovery and depending on individual response, athletic performance to an extent. But we know that maybe it's even better at improving cognitive function. There's a real brain benefit. But also I read something yesterday which was a guy talking about a paper. So this is third hand so for what it is, but it's worth investigating that. Also, there's been benefits for people who struggle a little bit with anxiety and depression that and again I don't know this to be fact, but I'm going to do a little bit of searching myself. But I feel like, you know, like when I'm on creatine, which is all the time now and full disclosure, I take I probably take about ten grams a day, which is not huge, but it's probably more than the prescription, which is generally five grams something like that. But I take about ten grams to teaspoons ish a day. And personally, again this is my personal response, I feel fucking great. And if I don't take it, I know, and it actually helps my brain work better mental acuity, sharpness, memory, all of those things we talk about cognitive function, you know, being able to pay attention and focus for a long period of time. For me, there's a difference with it versus without it. So I use that the next thing and lasting before we move on to another question, mate, So what two part question? First part is what happens as we get older to our ability to synthesize protein. Does it diminish? Like I feel like we need a bit more protein per kilo of body weight as we get older. Why is that?
Speaker 3: Okay?
Speaker 2: What we're finding is is that the intestinal wall is causing the problem. It's the we can't absorb the same amount of protein. So even though we're breaking down the protein effectively, it's not been absorbed across the intestinal wall. So we're starting to lose a little bit that nitrogen balance basically in either urine or in our put So we've gone, all right, we need to increase it. And what's been interesting is now there's a lot of research that come up a while ago regarding vegan protein, powders, et cetera, being a vegan and having protein.
Speaker 3: And what has just come up recently.
Speaker 2: And it's really been an eye opening, is that two fold one you can build muscle on a vegan diet one hundred percent. We've now proved it, no problems at all. It's difficult, but it can be done. But from the age of forty five approx. Now, this is again generic figures forty five and onwards, men definitely need animal protein to have the same effect, because as it goes after forty five, we're finding there's a drop in the ability to absorb just pure vegan based protein, so it needs to be an animal based protein. So there's a difference now between men and women, and we're finding that men actually need animal proteins still have the same effect.
Speaker 3: So there's that threshold. So we're saying that up to.
Speaker 2: Forty five, if you want to be a vegan and you do all your stuff and have your vegan protein patters, it's fine. But after forty five, men need to be a little bit aware and go, you know what, and one need to start increasing some animal protein in there as well. We're having an animal base. Let's say weigh protein powder to assist in muscle protein synthesis.
Speaker 1: Shout out to all the vegans who now hate Perry. Now, so my next question is this, that's funny. My next question is, and you and I are not fans of rdiis BECAUSEI eyes are you know, pretty inept A lot of them anyway, So recommend the daily intakes everyone. I think the I don't know the government or whoever the fuck that whoever recommends these things, says something like point eight grams of protein per kilo of body weight. So let's figure that out. If we add a sixty kilogram lady times point eight grams per kilo, that's forty eight grams of protein, which is fuck all right. So and again these are just numbers everyone, This is not a personal prescription. So what do you think, ballpark perry, If we're not working off point eight grams per kilo of body weight the average menopausal lady, what's the ballpark range? R?
Speaker 2: Okay, ballpark range? And it's funny enough, I did a paper on this, so it contests let's say scientists regarding the Aller point eight equivalent. My recommendation is the minimum of one point six, and you can go right up to two point five grahams pe killer Grammer bodyweight problems at all, And if you're struggling to physically eat that food, throwing a protein shake through the day, because what's really important here. We're now discovering that it's not so much let's say, spacing out your protein. You know, I was still believing doing that, But if you're struggling to eat your food. If you let's say, have you lunch is just a steak or whatever, a chicken, and then dinnercing and you want to have protein in between and have a big protein shake and then one before we go to bed. As long as you're hitting that protein mark through the day, that's all that matters. So getting in Let's say I'm going to pick a round number. We said sixty kilos at two grams for killigram a body weight. As long as you're getting that one hundred and twenty grams of protein in per day, that's the most important thing. And people still struggle. I'm going to try and break it up into five different meals, so now you don't have to get it all in. That's all that's interesting to me. And you know you're not an elite bodybuilder or a super athlete. You did yourn average Joe biler once have a great quality of life. So if you're following the principles of having a good quality of life and juvity, being strong, keeping yourself upright and standing and having the ability to move comfortably, keep your protein and take up pay for those figures and get it in whenever you want through the day.
Speaker 1: Joe or in this case, Joe Anne Blow, I'll get a team. It comes as no surprise, I'm sure for me to tell you that Perry and I spoke for a very long time. We spoke almost for two hours, maybe an hour and three quarters, and because of that we decided to make this two parter. No surprise there. Hope you're enjoying it. I think part two is actually better than part one. I hope you enjoyed part one. I think it gets better. Give us some feedback anyway. Also, if you're not a member of the you Project Facebook group and you want to get involved, go there. No hooks, catches, agendas. We'd love you to be part of that, and you can ask questions that we can talk about on further shows. Anyway, we'll call that the end of part one. Hidde up, Buttercup, See you tomorrow.